PDA

View Full Version : MISC. Tube Reaver's first impressions

Tube_Reaver
13th Dec 2013, 21:48
Hello all,

So just got done with my session of testing, and therefore it is time for my first impressions and thoughts so on and so forth. I'll try and keep this as reader friendly as possible.

Now I know this is still Alpha, so take everything I say with a pinch of salt.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Main Menu UI
I really like it, it's flashy where it should be with the background fire and such, but plain and simple in functionality and overall use, making it user-friendly.

In-Game UI
Decent I'd say, but in the future it definitely needs to be resizable and there should be the option to move the elements of the UI, as currently we have the map in the lower right corner, health and cool downs on the bottom, and team-mate health/state on the top left. And for a game where I want to keep my eyes strictly on the centre, I would prefer if I could move things a bit closer and all on one side (all near the bottom, closer to the centre etc)

Graphics
Playing on the current highest setting, and I can say the models look really good, with lots of detail, and I can safely say I am looking forward to the alternative skins.

As for the effects, most do their jobs and stand out. Some not so much such as rain of arrows/volley and Wing Flap can be rather difficult to see on darker maps.

However I also believe some effects could use a bit of polish, like the Tyrant's Ignore Pain, and the Reaver's poison and ink clouds.

Music/Dialogue
Music is rather spot on for the LoK series I would say, and very fitting of the game's setting and overall atmosphere.

The dialogue was a very pleasant surprise, especially when the first bit I heard was the Alchemist, she most definitely sounds like a bad***. The lines of dialogue themselves are pretty good, but the voice acting does the job here.

Suggestion: Taunts, add lines of dialogues to taunt opponents, or maybe a laugh. Nothing spammable though, have it on some sort of cooldown.

Classes

Humans
The only gripe I have playing against the human team in general, is when the opposing team literally camps a single spot throughout the entire round, which can leave the game rather boring as you go, kill one if you're luck, die, rez go to the same spot, rinse and repeat. Now this strategy obviously depends on the skill of both teams, as it can be disrupted if the Vampire team plays well and attacks all at once, however this isn't ALWAYS the case, especially when you are with random folks, it is harder to co-ordinate.

Hunter
Playing As: Hunter is a lot of fun to play, the cross bow losing accuracy as you hold down the trigger is a nice touch, giving us a feel of having an SMG or Assault rifle without adding actual guns to the game (yet).

Notes on Bola: A good ability, however one thing make it feel rather redundant: there seems to be a delay before I can start shooting, which takes up 70% of the 'snare' time of the bola, and even though the Hunter has the animation of taking hold of his crossbow after the throw, there's around a 1 second delay before I can start shooting, which is rather frustrating and goes against the whole idea of the ability.

Playing Against: I don't have much to say here, I didn't find the class particularly annoying to play against, Bola did it's job where I either blow the CD on Evasion, or I run away/for cover.

Scout
Playing As: The "sniper" of the game, with 2 different play-styles depending on the situation: rapid quick draw fire, or long draws for more damage if you can land the shot. This character feels like the sniper and acts like one, but you don't have to.

Note on Throwing Knives: Personally I would prefer if this ability were changed from throwing 3 knives in a semi-arc, to throwing 1 knife, and let the ability have 3 charges that you must use after throwing the first one within an allotted time before the ability goes on cool down. This way I feel I can aim at 3 vampires with more success than its current state, as for spamming the knives on 1 single target, we could have each following knife have a much reduced effect.

Playing Against: Volley can be quite difficult to see on some maps, but otherwise seems fine.

Alchemist
Playing As: A lot of fun here (did I mention the VA did an amazing job?), the fact that she has a grenade launcher-like weapon is a nice touch, and complements her AoE feel. I found both her abilities particularly useful and fun.

Playing Against: Not much to say here as well, the class was not a pain to play against.

Vampires
I have two gripes with Vamps.
1) Let's say I preff F and use abilities like Ignore Pain and Evasion, great they're up, and doing their job, but there are times when I want to press F again and deactivate the ability because a good opportunity has presented itself for me to attack.
I believe such abilities should be disabled if you press F (or whatever key again), and the ability should go on it's full cool down.

Tyrant
Playing As: All I can say is "Tyrant bowling anyone?" A fun class, it plays the role of Disruptive "tank" well.
Notes on Ignore Pain: I am on the fence about this ability. You are meant to charge in, take a view shots, disrupt the enemy, pop Ignore pain, and act as a "decoy" whilst your teammates leap/dive in behind you. Fair enough, however in all other circumstances you either use it in the same manner as evasion and run away, or might as well have Bola'd yourself as you run about not doing much at all. I feel the ability needs to be looked at again, it's too much like Evasion, and yet since you turn into a walking boulder that everyone can spot, then the enemy will be like "nawp not gnna waste my ammoh on dat one"

Playing Against: Tanky and does it's job, but not invincible or impossible to take down. No problems here.

Sentinel
Playing As: A lot of fun playing as Sentinels, and the kidnap ability is hilarious to use. Although it feels very hit and miss, like I could almost swear I hit the human right on but I don't pick him up? (I am guessing it's a bug?)
Playing Against: No problems here, they have the advantage of flight, but are easy targets if not played correctly.

Reaver
Playing As: Fun to play as, I definitely got the whole stalker feel with this character, and evasion is a life-saver! Although personally I feel it is too much of a life-saver.

Notes on Evasion: Feels a tad TOO effective, 100% is too much imo, especially with the reduced damage from area attacks. I think it tropes Tryant's Ignore pain, which isn't a good thing in my opinion.

Playing Against: One huge main issue, Pounce stun-locking due to getting pounced by one reaver then the next. This is extremely frustrating to play against, and you feel absolutely useless the whole time you are just laying there as your face gets ripped off.

My suggestion: After the initial pounce stun has worn off, the human rolls to the side or back, and jumps back on his/her feet, this way any follow up pounce that is launched immediately after the initial one ends, misses.

Overall Impression
The game was fun! A lot more fun than I anticipated, and a lot less buggier too. I assumed it was going to be an absolute mess with bugs everywhere, but I played a few games and only encountered one issue, somehow I have 1 suicide on my main profile, but when I switch to human/vampire specific profile stats, I have 0 suicides. Apparently I commuted suicide as a Hylden :D

Psyonix have really outdone themselves, and as a huge LoK fan/avid gamer/PvPer I am very happy with the game even in its current Alpha state, it shows a lot of promise!

I look forward to the future updates and testing them.

Cheers.

cmstache
13th Dec 2013, 22:53
Hello all,

So just got done with my session of testing, and therefore it is time for my first impressions and thoughts so on and so forth. I'll try and keep this as reader friendly as possible.

Now I know this is still Alpha, so take everything I say with a pinch of salt.

Main Menu UI
I really like it, it's flashy where it should be with the background fire and such, but plain and simple in functionality and overall use, making it user-friendly.

In-Game UI

Decent I'd say, but in the future it definitely needs to be resizable and there should be the option to move the elements of the UI, as currently we have the map in the lower right corner, health and cool downs on the bottom, and team-mate health/state on the top left. And for a game where I want to keep my eyes strictly on the centre, I would prefer if I could move things a bit closer and all on one side (all near the bottom, closer to the centre etc)

Graphics
Playing on the current highest setting, and I can say the models look really good, with lots of detail, and I can safely say I am looking forward to the alternative skins.

As for the effects, most do their jobs and stand out. Some not so much such as rain of arrows/volley and Wing Flap can be rather difficult to see on darker maps.

However I also believe some effects could use a bit of polish, like the Tyrant's Ignore Pain, and the Reaver's poison and ink clouds.

Music/Dialogue
Music is rather spot on for the LoK series I would say, and very fitting of the game's setting and overall atmosphere.

The dialogue was a very pleasant surprise, especially when the first bit I heard was the Alchemist, she most definitely sounds like a bad***. The lines of dialogue themselves are pretty good, but the voice acting does the job here.

Suggestion: Taunts, add lines of dialogues to taunt opponents, or maybe a laugh. Nothing spammable though, have it on some sort of cooldown.

I would love to see some cross team taunts.

Classes

Humans
The only gripe I have playing against the human team in general, is when the opposing team literally camps a single spot throughout the entire round, which can leave the game rather boring as you go, kill one if you're luck, die, rez go to the same spot, rinse and repeat. Now this strategy obviously depends on the skill of both teams, as it can be disrupted if the Vampire team plays well and attacks all at once, however this isn't ALWAYS the case, especially when you are with random folks, it is harder to co-ordinate.

That's a lack of teamwork on the vampire's side. You can easily poke them until you force them to move. Once one or two are gone you can pick the others off, and try not to let them regroup from there. Just because you are vamps doesn't mean you don't need your team. This is ESPECIALLY true for good human teams.

Hunter
Playing As: Hunter is a lot of fun to play, the cross bow losing accuracy as you hold down the trigger is a nice touch, giving us a feel of having an SMG or Assault rifle without adding actual guns to the game (yet).

Notes on Bola: A good ability, however two things make it feel rather redundant: 1) there seems to be a delay before I can start shooting, which takes up 70% of the 'snare' time of the bola, and even though the Hunter has the animation of taking hold of his crossbow after the throw, there's around a 1 second delay before I can start shooting, which is rather frustrating and goes against the whole idea of the ability.

Again, rely on your team for damage too. And I'd recommend an upgrade to bola if I were you if the damage bothers you.

Playing Against: I don't have much to say here, I didn't find the class particularly annoying to play against, Bola did it's job where I either blow the CD on Evasion, or I run away/for cover.

Scout
Playing As: The "sniper" of the game, with 2 different play-styles depending on the situation: rapid quick draw fire, or long draws for more damage if you can land the shot. This character feels like the sniper and acts like one, but you don't have to.

Note on Throwing Knives: Personally I would prefer if this ability were changed from throwing 3 knives in a semi-arc, to throwing 1 knife, and let the ability have 3 charges that you must use after throwing the first one within an allotted time before the ability goes on cool down. This way I feel I can aim at 3 vampires with more success than its current state, as for spamming the knives on 1 single target, we could have each following knife have a much reduced effect.

Nice idea, but not for this. This might be a nice option if it had a significantly longer cooldown (30 seconds or so), same damage per knife, and was a different ability entirely. Kind of like charge vs marathon charge. The only reason I'd be ok with it is because the scout doesn't have that interchangable secondary attack.

Playing Against: Volley can be quite difficult to see on some maps, but otherwise seems fine.

Alchemist
Playing As: A lot of fun here (did I mention the VA did an amazing job?), the fact that she has a grenade launcher-like weapon is a nice touch, and complements her AoE feel. I found both her abilities particularly useful and fun.
Playing Against: Not much to say here as well, the class was not a pain to play against.

I agree, although they aren't the "best" class, I can say they are probably the most fun.

Vampires
I have two gripes with Vamps.
1) Let's say I preff F and use abilities like Ignore Pain and Evasion, great they're up, and doing their job, but there are times when I want to press F again and deactivate the ability because a good opportunity has presented itself for me to attack.
I believe such abilities should be disabled if you press F (or whatever key again), and the ability should go on it's full cool down.

That'd really throw off the balance. And part of the skill is timing these abilities. I'd disagree with that statement all the way. You basically would be able to spam it, get past a power ability, then end it. How cheap is that?

Tyrant
Playing As: All I can say is "Tyrant bowling anyone?" A fun class, it plays the role of Disruptive "tank" well.
Notes on Ignore Pain: I am on the fence about this ability. You are meant to charge in, take a view shots, disrupt the enemy, pop Ignore pain, and act as a "decoy" whilst your teammates leap/dive in behind you. Fair enough, however in all other circumstances you either use it in the same manner as evasion and run away, or might as well have Bola'd yourself as you run about not doing much at all. I feel the ability needs to be looked at again, it's too much like Evasion, and yet since you turn into a walking boulder that everyone can spot, then the enemy will be like "nawp not gonna waste my ammoh on dat one"

It's still way different than bola. Also, if anything this isn't underpowered, evasion would be over powered. I think a more fair trait for evasion is like a 50-75% miss chance instead of 100%.

Playing Against: Tanky and does it's job, but not invincible or impossible to take down. No problems here.

Sentinel
Playing As: A lot of fun playing as Sentinels, and the kidnap ability is hilarious to use. Although it feels very hit and miss, like I could almost swear I hit the human right on but I don't pick him up? (I am guessing it's a bug?)
Playing Against: No problems here, they have the advantage of flight, but are easy targets if not played correctly.

A few of us have noticed it too. I will literally fly through people and nothing happens. Similar to attacking but doing no dmg in another thread.

Reaver
Playing As: Fun to play as, I definitely got the whole stalker feel with this character, and evasion is a life-saver! Although personally I feel it is too much of a life-saver.

Notes on Evasion: Feels a tad TOO effective, 100% is too much imo, especially with the reduced damage from area attacks. I think it tropes Tryant's Ignore pain, which isn't a good thing in my opinion.

I agree, it's a bit much.

Playing Against: One huge main issue, Pounce stun-locking due to getting pounced by one reaver then the next. This is extremely frustrating to play against, and you feel absolutely useless the whole time you are just laying there as your face gets ripped off.

My suggestion: After the initial pounce stun has worn off, the human rolls to the side or back, and jumps back on his/her feet, this way any follow up pounce that is launched immediately after the initial one ends, misses.

Overall Impression
The game was fun! A lot more fun than I anticipated, and a lot less buggier too. I assumed it was going to be an absolute mess with bugs everywhere, but I played a few games and only encountered one issue, somehow I have 1 suicide on my main profile, but when I switch to human/vampire specific profile stats, I have 0 suicides. Apparently I commuted suicide as a Hylden :D

Psyonix have really outdone themselves, and as a huge LoK fan/avid gamer/PvPer I am very happy with the game even in its current Alpha state, it shows a lot of promise!

I look forward to the future updates and testing them.

Cheers.

Comments added in above quote.

Psyonix_Corey
13th Dec 2013, 23:19
Notes on Bola: A good ability, however two things make it feel rather redundant: 1) there seems to be a delay before I can start shooting, which takes up 70% of the 'snare' time of the bola, and even though the Hunter has the animation of taking hold of his crossbow after the throw, there's around a 1 second delay before I can start shooting, which is rather frustrating and goes against the whole idea of the ability.

This is intentional - Bola is meant as a survival / teammate saver cooldown, not an offensive disable. I totally get the appeal of locking up a vampire and laying into him immediately, but we found a better balance with the delay between throw and being able to shoot again. You're free to move around, sprint, distance yourself from the enemy, etc..

Regarding Evasion dodge chance - We had it below 100% in development but the overwhelming feedback externally was that people thought it sucked because it wasn't obvious it was working - they'd activate it and still die, and promptly give up on it. This doesn't mean we don't need rebalance it, just that it's tough to avoid Random Dodge % feeling arbitrarily useless at times.

Oroibahazopi
14th Dec 2013, 00:19
I'd like to be able to dodge pounces and sentinel abducts tbh

Tube_Reaver
14th Dec 2013, 18:31
This is intentional - Bola is meant as a survival / teammate saver cooldown, not an offensive disable. I totally get the appeal of locking up a vampire and laying into him immediately, but we found a better balance with the delay between throw and being able to shoot again. You're free to move around, sprint, distance yourself from the enemy, etc..

Regarding Evasion dodge chance - We had it below 100% in development but the overwhelming feedback externally was that people thought it sucked because it wasn't obvious it was working - they'd activate it and still die, and promptly give up on it. This doesn't mean we don't need rebalance it, just that it's tough to avoid Random Dodge % feeling arbitrarily useless at times.

Thank you so much for replying and for the info.

Regarding Evasion: I stand corrected, you are right having it anything less than 100% would be frustrating for both sides, as its too RNG dependent.

However I would still like to suggest that the Area Attack Damage Reduction element be removed, as it isn't really necessary, as the ability accomplishes what it needs to regardless of the area attack damage reduction, and it would also be an easy nerf on the ability that wouldn't hit Reavers too hard.

Regarding Bola: I would like to discuss this ability further.
For starters the ability has to be aimed, and therefore it can miss/be dodged.

When you throw the bola, hit or miss, you are also removing yourself from the fight, as you cannot attack for almost the same amount of time as the target you hit.
So you not only briefly take out a vampire from the fight, but you also take yourself out of the fight. The ability feels too much like a double edged sword.

Cheers.