PDA

View Full Version : Will Underworld Be The Last TR Game?

tombraiderxlegend
13th Feb 2008, 02:33
Rofl! Stupid question, but some people might disagree. I figure this will NOT be the last game. Haha. I mean why would CD take over for about 3 years, then just quit? If they wanted TR to stop, then they should've stopped after Core got fired. So yeah. I hope they keep on making TR games, because I love TR and have been with it since the first game. <3

Another question: How long will you keep playing TR & When do you think the last TR game will be?

1. Forever of course!
2. Hopefully it won't be the last one until after I die! :lol:

digifan
13th Feb 2008, 07:11
The answer is a big no for several reasons. First Core Design didn't got fired. The company folded after facing a series of financial trouble. Second Crystal Dynamics did a fantastic job bringing our beloved Lara to the next gen level. They had succeeded in recreating the native elements we first experienced in the first TR game in Anniversary with an upgraded next gen look. IMO I think the latest TR game is just the beginning of next gen Lara and all the tombs she had yet to raid.:D

Bring 'em on! ****

BurialGown
13th Feb 2008, 11:27
Absolutely no!
I can't imagine the world without Lara ... I spend my childhood playing with her and she's the first thing I can remember about PCs, so if there's still interest for TR, then there'll be more next TR games ;)

Albert
13th Feb 2008, 12:34
Rofl! Stupid question, but some people might disagree. I figure this will NOT be the last game. Haha. I mean why would CD take over for about 3 years, then just quit? If they wanted TR to stop, then they should've stopped after Core got fired. So yeah. I hope they keep on making TR games, because I love TR and have been with it since the first game. <3

Another question: How long will you keep playing TR & When do you think the last TR game will be?

1. Forever of course!
2. Hopefully it won't be the last one until after I die! :lol:

Never! TR is one of my preferite games.

Capkeez
13th Feb 2008, 12:51
i highly doubt that the TR series will end anytime soon. Like digifan has mentioned, Crystal Dynamics have renewed the series by spicing things up. Gameply evolves. There'll be plenty of ideas to go around,theres no reason to end a highly-successful series all of a sudden.

RinoTheBouncer
13th Feb 2008, 13:38
Oh Please ,
An End ? For Lara Croft ? OMG That would be armagadon !
The first thing i remember about PCs , games and software was TombRaider , when i was so little Me, Mom n' Dad used to play it on PC it was TRII and then we switched to PSone when i started to play it alone and i can't imagine life and christmas or new year's eve without Lara to be celebrating with us , besides, Lara was a source of huge fortune for Eidos n Crystal Dynamics so why eliminate that source for nothing ?!!

Mangar The Dark
13th Feb 2008, 14:54
As long as the franchise continues to be financially successful, Eidos will not let it die. Core wanted to end it with TR4, and thus they killed Lara at the end. Who can blame them, really? Core is a group of creative people, and being forced to rehash the same gameplay elements year after year must have been extremely tedious for them. But Eidos wouldn't let them off the hook so easily, and so Core was coerced into creating Chronicles and bringing Lara back to life.
Now, with CD stepping in, and TR being revitalized, they're not about to let it go anytime soon.
Eventually, of course, the CD games will get stale and people interests will turn elsewhere. Then it will be up to Eidos to decide-- do they want to find a way to reinvent Lara again, or do they want to let the series die?
Considering the formulaic premise of the TR games (find powerful artifact before bad guys, while traversing ancient ruins), I'm not sure how long it can go on. Obviously they've done well so far, but everytime they stray from the formula (ex: too many modern environments in TR3, different feel in AOD), people complain. Yet, when they stick to the formula too much, people also complain. So, it'll be interesting to see what happens in a few years. As for now, TR seems to be going strong.

Sadistic Raider
13th Feb 2008, 15:19
Will Underworld be the last Tomb Raider game? Well, no one can really tell, but here's a thought: No. Tomb Raider is a multi million dollar empire and one of the best selling games ever, so it really doesn't take a genius to realize that Lara will be around as long as her games sell. It's that simple. Which just leads me to think that Legend and Anniversary are (like it has already been said) just the beginning of a brand new Tomb Raider Era.

William Croft
13th Feb 2008, 15:55
Will Underworld be the last Tomb Raider game? Well, no one can really tell, but here's a thought: No. Tomb Raider is a multi million dollar empire and one of the best selling games ever, so it really doesn't take a genius to realize that Lara will be around as long as her games sell. It's that simple. Which just leads me to think that Legend and Anniversary are (like it has already been said) just the beginning of a brand new Tomb Raider Era.

Too true, and I can't see it going away :( I love lara and i've been playing it for so long but Its could be but I really doubt it.

Werner Von Croy
13th Feb 2008, 15:57
Nooo def not i think this'll be the 2nd start to many-many years of Lara Croft:D

William Croft
13th Feb 2008, 16:04
Nooo def not i think this'll be the 2nd start to many-many years of Lara Croft:D

I hope so :D Fingers crossed.

TDK
13th Feb 2008, 16:34
LOL nice question :D NO AND NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
i cant live without A TR GAME ITS KIND THE END OF THE WORLD :( if they stopped make it really :mad2:

darklightdan
13th Feb 2008, 16:44
tomb raider is 1 of them games that can go on for ever. i cant see the franchise stopping anytime withing the next 10 years. its a game that everyone loves playing.

Tomb-Dude
13th Feb 2008, 16:46
Like someone else said this is just a new begining, its next-gen now which is beginging to become the current generation games?

Why create some thing that is going to be FANTASTIC without a doubt (hope im not wrong there now) and then stop.
They could do so much stuff with Lara after Underworlds (depending really since we really don't know what the game is properly about) but there are probally LOADS of Tomb's and accient things she can find and raid?

So it's a No for me and i've been playing tombraider since i was around 5 years old and i have so many good memories and i dont want them to finish after 10-11 years...

Jezyk
13th Feb 2008, 19:47
I hope it will go on, more, I hope Lara will continue to raid tombs just out of passion and not only because of that "missing mother" stuff.

William Croft
16th Feb 2008, 11:39
I hope it will go on, more, I hope Lara will continue to raid tombs just out of passion and not only because of that "missing mother" stuff.

The missing mother stuff actually makes a brilliant story line and I love it. :thumbsup:

I can't see TR ending but as much as i hate to say it it is going to end :( Just a matter of when.

Rai
16th Feb 2008, 20:10
I ruddy well hope TRU won't be the last game! It's just getting exciting again. I can't see the franchise stopping too soon. I think it is too popular and Eidos know this (and make profits from it). TRU looks pretty darn good so far, so I think this will be successful enough to keep the games going.

My only worry is if the Legend storyline is tied up with TRU, how will they continue. Will Lara simply continue 'for sport'?

LisaB1962
16th Feb 2008, 21:08
Technically, it is not "for sport." Lara now has a very specific, very personal reason for raiding, one that has a very specific goal.

Rai
16th Feb 2008, 21:57
Technically, it is not "for sport." Lara now has a very specific, very personal reason for raiding, one that has a very specific goal.

For the current storyline, sure. But what happens when the Legend storyline concludes? That was my question. It can't carry on indefinitely, it'd get boring. I like the story with Lara's parents, but it has to end eventually. What happens next? Will she go back to 'for sport' as in the previous games? Maybe, CD will come up with another purpose.

Tomb-Dude
16th Feb 2008, 22:25
... Will she go back to 'for sport' as in the previous games? Maybe, CD will come up with another purpose.

Before she met Natla it was "for sport" but now it's more like save the world because she knows what is out there more then anyone and the artifacts that people are after. I think before she raided tombs for the hell of it and for the adrenaline and the quote "for sport" :D

Bampire
16th Feb 2008, 22:38
Possibly, but I at least to see one last Tomb Raider game. If this is the last Lara adventure, people will be sad and disappointed to not see or play her anymore.

If it is the last, I hope things will be explained as you go through levels, and all that good stuff. But It'd not hurt to have a cliff hanger. :X

Please, Eidos, give us a Cliff Hanger! So we can look forward to another Tomb Raider adventure!

rabid metro
16th Feb 2008, 22:46
... My only worry is if the Legend storyline is tied up with TRU, how will they continue. Will Lara simply continue 'for sport'?

Underworld will advance the Legend storyline, not resolve it.

from Anniversary, we know that Richard was after the Scion, suspecting that it might have something to do with Amelia's disappearance. After possessing the Scion, Lara is convinced of its power but apparently still believes that her father was wrong in believing that it would explain the disappearance/death of her mother. Lara is an independent, free-spirited Tomb Raider and states that she only plays for sport ...

from Legend, while Lara continues her free-spirited tomb raiding she crosses paths with someone that will prove to be an old acquaintance, Amanda. Amanda has independently and for her own reasons deciphered the Excalibur/Avalon myth that Lara stumbled upon in her youth. Amanda might have been aided by the unknown quantity from Paraiso, which may or may not be related to Qualopec's Tomb, which are located in relative close proximity. Lara thought Richard went mad trying to unravel Amelia's death and discovers through Amanda that Amelia may be alive in Avalon. This suggests that Richard was not mad and that there is more to be uncovered.

in Underworld, we can speculate that Lara is trying to arrange the pieces of Richard's puzzle. Amanda may also be interested in this since it may offer an alternative route to Avalon. While retracing and advancing Richard's work, Lara will uncover even more mysteries. The Underworld episodes will possibly end with Lara knowing more about Avalon but having to explore another set of ancient myths/mysteries and obligatory artifacts ...
:cool:

Tomb-Dude
16th Feb 2008, 22:54
Underworld will advance the Legend storyline, not resolve it.

from Anniversary, we know that Richard was after the Scion, suspecting that it might have something to do with Amelia's disappearance. After possessing the Scion, Lara is convinced of its power but apparently still believes that her father was wrong in believing that it would explain the disappearance/death of her mother. Lara is an independent, free-spirited Tomb Raider and states that she only plays for sport ...

from Legend, while Lara continues her free-spirited tomb raiding she crosses paths with someone that will prove to be an old acquaintance, Amanda. Amanda has independently and for her own reasons deciphered the Excalibur/Avalon myth that Lara stumbled upon in her youth. Amanda might have been aided by the unknown quantity from Paraiso, which may or may not be related to Qualopec's Tomb, which are located in relative close proximity. Lara thought Richard went mad trying to unravel Amelia's death and discovers through Amanda that Amelia may be alive in Avalon. This suggests that Richard was not mad and that there is more to be uncovered.

in Underworld, we can speculate that Lara is trying to arrange the pieces of Richard's puzzle. Amanda may also be interested in this since it may offer an alternative route to Avalon. While retracing and advancing Richard's work, Lara will uncover even more mysteries. The Underworld episodes will possibly end with Lara knowing more about Avalon but having to explore another set of ancient myths/mysteries and obligatory artifacts ...

Very well said... I don't know what else to say.

Very clever nad well thought out though. :thumbsup:

Rick1983
16th Feb 2008, 23:19
I hope not i lurrrve TR i av played every single one and if they stopped i would be devastated!!! IF THEY STOP I WILL START A PROTEST!!

rabid metro
16th Feb 2008, 23:35
...Very clever...

*rabid gives a high-five to Mr. Dude and passes out cookies*

Tomb-Dude
16th Feb 2008, 23:44

*looks at cookie checking to see if it is double choco chip, Mr Dude smiles and starts to munch on his cookie. Then stops as Rabid's jaw falls to the floor as he eats like a pig...*
[/Random]

But yeah, seriously what you said was what i was thinking but i couldnt put what i thought into words that well...

Paulraider
17th Feb 2008, 03:37
The only thing i disagree with now thinking about it is the titlem Underworld? it just gets used way too much.

This wont be the last, considering what chystal dynamics have done and the next one will be on a next gen * rubbing hands* which i can't wait to see the results off.

Lets see if CD can been the quality of uncharted shall, the qualoity of that game was outstanding and i want, Underworld to surpase it

William Croft
17th Feb 2008, 10:32

I feel left out :( !! Only joking :p I don't need your cookies I can get my own!! *Pulls out empty cookie jar* Maybe tommorow!

On topic 'I think Underworld will close a few doors but open many more' As core said in AOD but didnt say Underworld said Angel Of Darkness :rolleyes:

Tomb-Dude
17th Feb 2008, 11:44
I feel left out :( !! Only joking :p I don't need your cookies I can get my own!! *Pulls out empty cookie jar* Maybe tommorow!

On topic 'I think Underworld will close a few doors but open many more' As core said in AOD but didnt say Underworld said Angel Of Darkness :rolleyes:

*Give Mr Croft a bunch of cookies*

On topic

Ok what you said has made me think, what if Underworld does come out and it is a slight failiure (like AOD) Will Tomb Raider shut down and never be touched?

Xcom
17th Feb 2008, 16:51
Ok what you said has made me think, what if Underworld does come out and it is a slight failiure (like AOD) Will Tomb Raider shut down and never be touched?

Whether AOD was a failure remains to be seen. It may have received negative reviews, but it also sold (I believe) over 3 million copies. :whistle:

IMO, franchises that revolve around single (iconic) character can live forever. Take Mario for example. You can put him in any type of game - platformer, racing, sport, etc. - and it will still be Mario game. I think the same principle applies to Lara, so the question here is whether TR will change/adapt its formula in time? Perhaps it will take a step towards realism as apposed to platform/arcade style.
I mean judging by how many people are interested in the mansion and outfits, I think they can easily create TR: SIMs with Lara (where she can build her own mansion and buy outfits for herself), and a lot of people will probably play that, hehe.. :D

tombraiderxlegend
17th Feb 2008, 20:11
Wow. All of you have amazing points! I've learned some new things. :rasp:

And for the record, AOD sucked. Idc if it sold over 3 million copies, I absolutely hated it. I only finished it because I hate leaving games unplayed. So yeah. I'm never touching that game again. It had horrid... ugh!

Tomb-Dude
17th Feb 2008, 20:16
Wow. All of you have amazing points! I've learned some new things. :rasp:

And for the record, AOD sucked. Idc if it sold over 3 million copies, I absolutely hated it. I only finished it because I hate leaving games unplayed. So yeah. I'm never touching that game again. It had horrid... ugh!

People are entitled to there opinion it sold 3 million copies some people loved it some people hated it. I was in the middle, it wasn't great, could of been an excellent game but it failed in so many places.
I played and enjoyed it, i am currently playing it again for the second time as i never really had the motavation to go and put it in the PS2. But i'm use to the controles im use to everything and i enjoy it.

But as for TR Underworld being the last game. Lets just hope not, lets hope that Cd and Edios make a fantastic next-gen game which then can be continued for many years to come.