PDA

View Full Version : what items did you never use in game?

pauldenton
10th Feb 2008, 04:08
ok what items in DX did you never use and thought you could have done without in the game. ok ill start -

cigarettes - did they do anything?

Angel/0A
10th Feb 2008, 04:33
cigarettes - did they do anything?

You've obviously never seen this speed run (http://speeddemosarchive.com/DeusEx.html) before. :)

Zegano
10th Feb 2008, 05:45
Beer. I think that they didn't do the drunken effect very well, it just clouded your vision so that you couldn't see. If they were to do it like Fable, where your vision becomes distorted and you can't quite figure out which direction your going in, then it would be awesome. Also, it sucked in Invisible War how beer injured you. Yes, excessive drinking is bad but adding in beer, wine and cigarettes just so that you could waste inventory space (as much as a rocket launcher would take up, by the way) and kill yourself? At least in the first Deus Ex the cigarettes left a poison cloud for someone to walk into.

HamburgerBoy
10th Feb 2008, 07:07
None of the armor (hazmat, ballistic, or thermoptic) or the night vision goggles. Items were one of the original Deus Ex's few weak points.

AgentSmithereens
10th Feb 2008, 09:23
None of the armor (hazmat, ballistic, or thermoptic) or the night vision goggles. Items were one of the original Deus Ex's few weak points.

I disagree; when used efficiently and with trained or higher Environmental Training skill, hazmat suits, ballistic armour and thermoptic camo are incredibly effective. The night vision goggles were pretty bad though, as you couldn't see anything with them on. Another disadvantage is that you can't turn them off, it's either use them or lose them. But luckilly Shifter fixed that.

Kneo24
10th Feb 2008, 10:43
Zyme, Cigs, Alcohol, and Flame Thrower from the original.

Icarus AI
10th Feb 2008, 10:57
That weird plasma pistol that fired only once. I have perhaps used it twice in the game and I have played the game a huge ammount of time. And I rarely use any armor besides thermoptic cammo. Oh and I wasnt a big fan of flamethrower either the animation was just too horrible to watch (fire looked absolutly ridicilous).

Blade_hunter
10th Feb 2008, 14:58
I've used all weapons in DX 1 but the system of wearing armors or other accessories like the night vision aren't appropriate and the night vision biomod do the same thing...
We can had infrared goggles, night vision goggles, normal goggles, or some thing can combine some of the googles functions,

I think somme wearable suits or armors can use energy to take effect and must recharged when they are energy empty. we can upgrade their autonomy, and the approriate skill or skills if we want more than one skill to economize energy and upgrade the reliability and efficiency of each suit and wearable items.

Some items are only usable items like kevlar armors or other suits of this kind take damage, we can repair armors or some suits when it take damage or lose entire efficiency.

I think deus ex 3 must be a complete game experience with the most possibilities, interativity, and entertainement.

But in my first deus ex game I never use the flares and the plasma weapons

Lo Bruto
10th Feb 2008, 16:52
Oh God I Hated that Baton, it was just too slow to swing...

I actually used de PS20 one-shot plasma pistol, but only when the guy was under the effect of poison gas or pepper spray.

And the fire extinguisher was also a great non-weapon to use, just use it and swing your melee at guards

djinni33
10th Feb 2008, 16:56
That weird plasma pistol that fired only once.

This...and pepper spray.

Beer, wine and cigarettes are cool though - I think they should add stuff like LSD and shrooms in DX 3 which gives you hallucinations and flashy colors. :nut:

Lo Bruto
10th Feb 2008, 17:24
This...and pepper spray.

Pepper spray was effective under certain situations, but never try to use it in the middle of a firefight :D

Also, Shifter changed it a little, so it's even better now, the pepper gas cloud takes longer time to disappear.

AgentSmithereens
10th Feb 2008, 17:39
In the early stages of the game, the pepper spray is very effective at stopping large groups of NSF. And if you spray it at laser trip-wires, some sort of chemical reaction destroys the trip-wire without sounding the alarm. And nothing's more satisfactory than using the flamethrower to set someone on fire, then see him run into another person, setting him alight, making a chain reaction. I thought the baton was pretty good to as when it subdued a guard, he didn't make any noise, so nobody's alerted. IMO the combat knife was probably one of the most useless things. At least with zyme you could sell it all in Paris.

Lo Bruto
10th Feb 2008, 17:58
And if you spray it at laser trip-wires, some sort of chemical reaction destroys the trip-wire without sounding the alarm.

Really? I never figured it... gonna try...
Thank you for the tip.

Papy
10th Feb 2008, 18:12
The fact that some people say "that thing was useless", while others say "no, they where very useful", is a proof that Deus Ex was a deep game with a lot of meaningful choices.

I hope Deus Ex 3 still have a lot of those "useless" things.

gamer0004
10th Feb 2008, 18:40
I used everything except cigarettes. I never used the pepper gun until the 6th playthrough, and suddenly I realised how usefull it was and when I'd finished the game I couldn't imagine how I had been able to finish the game without it.

carldavid1887
10th Feb 2008, 19:39
I used the Plasma Gun only once. It's not the weapon of my choice.
Same for the Throwing Knives and Combat Knife. I liked the Baton, though.

Purchased booze only to get Jock talking and lit a cigarette the first and last time on the first visit of Liberty Island.

Fired the little plasma pistol only for the nice 'throw-away' animation.

Neglected the Sawed-off on my later playthroughs.

Except these I use the rest of the items now and then, depending on my mood and the current level ;)

Lo Bruto
11th Feb 2008, 00:12
I guess the cigarettes and the booze were more for Roleplaying than for actual effects. (like a cold-blooded murder who likes to smoke after a killing spree)

You know, some people really Roleplay when playing.

B0b_P@ge
11th Feb 2008, 03:13
...IMO the combat knife was probably one of the most useless things...

I strongly disagree, it was practical if your character attacked from behind, without being heard, it gave insta' kills...I had no problems with it and I used it quite a bit during the early stages when I sneaked... when you sneak and kill someone from behind the damage is multiplied, especially if you aim and hit the enemy's spine or head... also it gives a very satisfying bone-cutting sound when you kill someone with it :)

Frog
12th Feb 2008, 04:19
Pepper-spray and batons are not useless. If you want to be a pascifest you can use them to not kill people.

In fact the most fun I had in Invisible War was beating the game without killing anyone. DX1 was just too friggan hard for me to pull that off...but It might be possible.

DXeXodus
12th Feb 2008, 04:48
You cannot finish DX 1 without killing anyone. Almost.... but not quite. :)

I dont think any of the weapons/items are useless. But it is clear that several of them are less useful and just more impractical than others.

Take for example: If one had a choice between a GEP gun or a flame thrower or a plasma rifle then it would be more practical to choose a GEP gun. Even though they all take the same, large amount of space the GEP gun is an important weapon for taking down bots. You have plenty other, smaller weapons that can dispose of humans, but not robots. Sure, some robots (such as the maintenence spider bot) could be taken down easily with an auto shotgun loaded with sabot rounds. So, as a result of this, I tended to neglect the plasma rifle and flame thrower. It was cool, however that one could collect ammo for a gun which you did not have in your inventory and, thus, could pick up one of these guns temporarily and use it in a specific situation.

Cigarettes, beer, wine, disposable armour and camo, rebreathers etc.... not useless, just less useful IMO

Lo Bruto
12th Feb 2008, 16:12
You cannot finish DX 1 without killing anyone. Almost.... but not quite. :)

You talking about put them unconscious or just avoiding them?

AgentSmithereens
12th Feb 2008, 16:49
You can finish the game without killing anyone/knocking them out. The game requires you to kill 2 people to continue with the game - Anna Navarre and Howard Strong. You can bypass Anna Navarre by doing this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsh24FmYlNQ
And as for Strong, you can make him kill himself by blowing himself up with his own LAM.

Angel/0A
12th Feb 2008, 16:53
You can finish the game without killing anyone/knocking them out. The game requires you to kill 2 people to continue with the game - Anna Navarre and Howard Strong. You can bypass Anna Navarre by doing this:

Even if you use that method she's still counted as dead for the purposes of the game's story.

Lo Bruto
12th Feb 2008, 18:03
Even if you use that method she's still counted as dead for the purposes of the game's story.

Just pretend she's executed by Simons for letting you escape. :D

Frog
12th Feb 2008, 18:38
And as for Strong, you can make him kill himself by blowing himself up with his own LAM.
Good answer!!!

:D

Caradoc
12th Feb 2008, 18:48
I never found any use for night vision goggles.

I agree that armors were weak as they were only one shot items and because they drained energy really fast. But without any limits those items would have seriously unbalanced the gameplay. However one thing I never understood was why didn't they allow player to recharge his armor same way as his augs? I actually used hazardmental suit more times i can remember. Ballistic armor was quite effective when playing on realistic difficulty setting. The thermoptic camo was maybe one of the most usefull items in entire game because it made you invicible from both humans and bots at the same time.

Fatality
13th Feb 2008, 14:37
I can't really think of one pointless item, but rather a redundance in the amount of non-lethal weapons. Amongst the lethal weapons there was a reason for the wide variety; the GEP gun was extremely powerful but unprecise and would alert nearby enemies, the sniper was precise and had the option of being silenced, the pistol was useful for close-range and headshots and so on. Within the non-lethal weapons there is very little variety. They are all (I think?) silent and have an identical effect. This isn't to say I thought non-lethal weaponry was pointless, but rather I think it would have been better served if there were less non-lethal weapons, but keeping the variety (i.e. close range - stun prod, long range - mini crossbow, gas grenade)

gamer0004
13th Feb 2008, 14:48
No man the variety was great. The prod was good when you had to fight an alerted enemy from nearby. And you used the baton for unalerted enemies because you don't need ammo for that. And for medium range you had the pepper gun and for long range the mini-crossbow.
The gas grenade was... a grenade. The gas-grenade was comparable to the LAM, the GEP-gun to the crossbow etc.

Fatality
13th Feb 2008, 14:57
I can see your point on paper, but gameplay wise I think they all functioned pretty similar and could be used interchangeably to the same effect, but that's probably just my personal bias, I was never really one for non-lethal incapacitation:whistle:

AgentSmithereens
13th Feb 2008, 18:23

Really? It's been a while since I've done that but I think I remember different dialogue where Gunther doesn't recognises that she's dead.

gamer0004
13th Feb 2008, 18:36
Huh? That shouldn't be possible, I think. As it shouldn't be possible not to kill Anna in the first place.

g8kpr
16th Feb 2008, 17:24
Personally I never used:
Cigs (I never knew before that smoking 20 packs of cigs killed you)
Flamethrower & Plasma rifle (too much space)
Wine (or 40)
Fire Extinguisher (I'm just too good to be set on fire)
night vision goggles
Ps20 (Maybe if it was a one hit kill at any range)
Combat Knife
Combat Shotgun (the sawed off does more damage, it reloads faster, its MUCH more ammo efficient)
HE ammo (I used it but theres not enough of it in the game)

but I did use zyme... lots of zyme

Lo Bruto
17th Feb 2008, 00:18
Do you prefer the Sawed Off? 4 Bullets by default? You must be good... :nut:
The Assault Shotgun is perfect, Number 1 killer... I will never forget killing Gunther and Simons with it...

The fire extinguisher is also a great at early levels of the game, just use it on the face of someone, it's works just like the pepper spray and the Gas grenade, you know...

JoeGreensKiller
21st Feb 2008, 21:58
Iv killed Anna on Lebedevs plain, just for talking smack lol

W.S.
5th Mar 2008, 07:10
never used any knife as there were better close combat weapons. but the variety of "useless" items is just fine and its useless effects if "activated" emphasize the realistic and atmospheric claim.
the only ANNOYING thing about that was that you never had the coice over the items you wished to pick up from a corpse. so i permanently carried knives an cigarettes although i never used or wanted them. as the inventory space is limited, you always had to drop these things angain. want ammu, get cigs. this should definitely be improved, i don't remember how it was solved in IW.
two frames (your own and the enemy's) with eachs inventory displayed (like in stalker or gothic, etc) should be fine.

SageSavage
5th Mar 2008, 07:18
Yeah, SS2 did it right.

MiB
5th Mar 2008, 15:36
Items never used...

Swords. Except for the nano-sword, that is very effective but unfortunately takes up too much inventory space.

Goggles. Night vision goggles... god, they were awful. you didnt see anything, occupied inventory space and were usable only once. ( and i have a lanternt in my skull...also).

Cigs. but well, i just wish cigarettes would have the use of throwing to the ground and then the soldiers that can see the package, move to pick it up, forcing them to move. ( just like in the commandos game).

Alcohol. Same use probably?

Plasma rifle. too much space taken on the inventory and not too powerful. and also, very scarce ammo around. GEP gun is far-way better.

Crowbar. the knife does the same and takes only one slot of inventory. totally useless. ( the crowbar i mean).

Armors hazma suits.... i imagine they come handy sometimes and if you choose to train the skill they are very useful. but i never used them. all the situations could be solved without using one of those or in the worst cases, using some medkits after the situation. ( or the medical nanoaugmentation).

mouse
12th Mar 2008, 19:31
I used alcohol a lot. I saved medikits by going into a bar when wounded and drink all I could find...

GruntOwner
12th Mar 2008, 21:13
So true, that and I was carrying the plasma rfle after uniting the triads and there was something strangely entertaining about the drunk guy toting a plasma rifle in a packed bar having just been given 2 bottles of wine. The crowbar was good for fluff, but that was it. Candy was only fun because you could steal it from people, and where the hell else are you going to get the chance to steal your boss' candy? Right infront of him? Then throw the sofa at him saying that it's a present? Needless to say, RP wasn't such a serious issue with me. As for the ultimate way to kill Navara, on the plane u stack the explosive crates in the doorway so she can't get past, she then runs into them, dosn't go forward and thinks "there's a problem, interact with the door" closing the door, destroying the crates and blowing her to kingdom come. No pesky dialogue to be experienced at your convinience at a later playthrough.I used the plasma rifle once, then dumped it but kept a full supply of ammo. Kinda embarressing when I carried it around so much but could move fo shizm with it out.Then again, damn, next playthrough I'll just use it to open every door in the base. That and anytime I think I'll have the chance to stomp in and fry.