PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex/V for Vendetta Reference Effect

AaronJ
9th Feb 2008, 13:32
In Deus Ex, name and password is somewhat relevant to the plot. For example, Dr. Moreau in MJ12 Lab is named after the H.G. Wells story "The Island of Dr. Moreau".

And in V for Vendetta, everything has a relation to V or 5. The name has 5 syllables, November the 5th, etc.

Deus Ex 3 should be like that. Everything you see or hear and everyone you meet should be a reference to something. Or, everyone could be in relation to DX1, like Jock's daughter, Tong's brother, etc. as small characters. Assuming Eidos Montreal doesn't screw up with a prequel.

SageSavage
9th Feb 2008, 17:17
And in V for Vendetta, everything has a relation to V or 5. The name has 5 syllables, November the 5th, etc.
Really? Nice to know, I have to check that someday.

Deus Ex 3 should be like that. Everything you see or hear and everyone you meet should be a reference to something. Or, everyone could be in relation to DX1, like Jock's daughter, Tong's brother, etc. as small characters. Assuming Eidos Montreal doesn't screw up with a prequel.
References are cool and all but they should never become a dogma.

AaronJ
9th Feb 2008, 20:03
I just meant keep it like DX1, or better.

And yes, the writer, Alan Moore, tends to go into great depth. Same with LXG, everyone in the graphic novel is a reference to a timeless classic.

imported_van_HellSing
9th Feb 2008, 20:33
Considering all the various references they've managed to cram into the teaser, I think we'll be fine :thumbsup:.

Angel/0A
9th Feb 2008, 21:09
Blizzard tends to do that with their games as well, although most of them are references to pop culture.

BlackGhost
31st May 2009, 22:02
Blizzard tends to do that with their games as well, although most of them are references to pop culture.

What's the Angel/0A reference?

SageSavage
31st May 2009, 23:09
You mean his handle Angel/OA? That's the lowest clearence level they have at UNATCO and the UN in general.

Voltaire
31st May 2009, 23:50
I really don't see them name dropping just for the sake of it. That would make it a real cheap deal. They might leave in some easter eggs here and there for players of the first game, but 'twould be folly to build entirely from "related to" characters.

Also, the V stuff is interesting. There's an interesting section on it on wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_for_Vendetta_(film)#The_letter_V_and_the_number_5). Also, I need one of those masks.

:{-

K^2
1st Jun 2009, 03:54
I'd like more references to classic works, but they should keep the numbers of DX/IW references down.

minus0ne
1st Jun 2009, 13:22
DX3 should not become something out of a Dan Brown novel. However one of DX's great charms was the great attention to detail, which supported the believability of the game world, even with lots of little red herrings and references which lead nowhere (whether due to elements later on removed or by design).

The ever present overload of symbolism in V for Vendetta worked on some levels, first because it was a film adaptation of a graphic novel series, and therefore so highly stylized, and second because there was a reason for it in that the protagonist (V) was so obsessed with symbolism (resulting in that interesting bit after V saves Eve in the alley and recites an endless impromptu string of alliteration with the letter V). Then again, V for Vendetta was strictly style over substance, so I definitely don't see how that would work for DX3, which is hopefully more the opposite. That, and hopefully EM takes DX3 more seriously.

BlackGhost
1st Jun 2009, 16:37
You mean his handle Angel/OA? That's the lowest clearence level they have at UNATCO and the UN in general.

Wicked, thanks! I wasn't able to find anything about it anywhere, but Walton Simmoms said it to JC at the beginning of the game and I didn't understand it... Now I do, thanks!

imported_van_HellSing
1st Jun 2009, 16:58
DX3 should not become something out of a Dan Brown novel.

Funny, considering DX1 is very close to one.

minus0ne
1st Jun 2009, 17:19
Funny, considering DX1 is very close to one.
How exactly is that? Lots of backstory, attention to detail and an intruiging plot featuring a conspiracy is hardly the hallmark of a Dan Brown novel. Perhaps these novels offer thrills if you're a catholic living in Rome/Vatican City, otherwise; yawn. I'm hoping DX3 won't opt for cheap thrills and exhausted plot points.

Now, the Gabriel Knight series of games, those are reminiscent of a Dan Brown novel, except they beat Brown by about a decade and are far more interesting (if you, like me, have the stomach for adventure games).

And on a totally unrelated point: They're remaking The Secret of Monkey Island, YAY! AND we get a new MI!

imported_van_HellSing
1st Jun 2009, 17:28
How exactly is that? Lots of backstory, attention to detail and an intruiging plot featuring a conspiracy is hardly the hallmark of a Dan Brown novel.

Neither is it of Deus Ex. Let's face it: the plot of DX is just as contrived, hackneyed, full of inconsistencies and poor research as any of Brown's novels. Which doesn't stop me from loving the game as a whole.

SageSavage
1st Jun 2009, 17:54
And on a totally unrelated point: They're remaking The Secret of Monkey Island, YAY! AND we get a new MI!

OMG! (http://kotaku.com/5273950/new-and-old-monkey-island-adventures-in-the-works)

Icarus AI
1st Jun 2009, 17:58
Or, everyone could be in relation to DX1, like Jock's daughter, Tong's brother, etc. as small characters. Assuming Eidos Montreal doesn't screw up with a prequel.

No just no. It's just makes the world feel uterly ridiculous and small. If there is nothing in the original Deus Ex to indicate the existance of these characters it would just feel stupid if Jock's brother (or something) just happened to be the helicopter pilot of the previous hero who in turn is somehow related to JC. "Oh yeah. I never bothered to tell you JC, but I had this brother once who helped this other guy like you save the world from this other evil organization called Majestic 13. What a coincidence."

gamer0004
1st Jun 2009, 18:47
Neither is it of Deus Ex. Let's face it: the plot of DX is just as contrived, hackneyed, full of inconsistencies and poor research as any of Brown's novels. Which doesn't stop me from loving the game as a whole.

There are hardly any inconsistencies in DX.

Of course, with DX3 being released next year, the series will be one huge inconsistency, yeah.