PDA

View Full Version : How would you like Lara to heal in Underworld?

William Croft
2nd Feb 2008, 22:08
Hello Everyone,

Right so after thinking about the way lara will heal in Underworld I have come to the conclusion that We SHOULD have Medi packs and this is why;

Lara Should not heal by herself **** . No she is NOT supernatural.

There shouldnt be specific spots where she heals. You do not see this happening in real life and this game is focusing alot on being Next gen, Eidos is focusing on weather, Lara interacting with her enviorement and now you want to spoil the reality of the game with bogus ways of Lara Healing?

We do not want Prince Of Persia healing style, drinking water will NOT heal yourself.

If anyone thinks of any other ways Lara could heal please list them. I've thought of an idea & here goes: I think that once Lara kills the pouchers (Sp.?) & other bad guys We search them for any ammo or medipacks or any other possible item instead of it just dropping out of them randomly. Although I don't want to stand there for 1 minute while lara searches them
(Idea by Tomb-Dude but I upgraded it a tincy bit :D)

Jezyk also said this (Cut a bit out) :
(no medpack using in midjump, underwater, during fights etc.), it should also take at least a few seconds for her to use a medpack.
She could bring the medpacks with her and then if needed aquire more from defeated mercenaries and their camps.

Amazing idea by Blake Noah:
In order to talk about healing Lara Croft, I would first discuss hurting Lara Croft.
Considering the excellent dramatic effect that the designers are pooring in this game, I would make combat a little harder. In the following sense:

Wounds
Lara
Lara Croft should act differently when hit in the arm, shoulder, leg, etc... While a hit in the leg will make her limp and move slower, a hit in the arm would make her aim harder to hit the target. More challenging, I say.

At a certain damaged state, Lara Croft would only use a single arm to shoot, and while not shooting, would hold the other arm, limping and STILL losing life due to blood loss until she heals. Her facial expression should show pain and determination (should the player choose aim the camera at her), and maybe a soundtrack to suggest a dramatic situation. Implicitly, the player's adrenalin would increase as he would identify itself with the situation and try to maneuver Lara to escape the situation.

Lara should be able to perform close combat and kick her opponent with surprise hits.

Baddies
Obviously, the baddies should "work" the same way. I hate when you empty a clip in a baddie, and he still fires like Duke Nukem, or something. Make them suffer as well, make them crawl, make them also variantly determined. I want to see a baddie run for a change.

A baddie should be able to drop his weapon if hit by bullets or other objects, even hands, in close combat. Come to think of it, so should Lara.

Healing
Lara should be able to sit down somewhere and have a full animation set of her using bandages and medical instruments. The scene should be at least 10-15 seconds, with fading scenes "shot" from different angles, to suggest an even greater lenght of time passing.
Scars should remain for a certain period of time.
The animations should be variated not to bore the player each time.

The ballance of her being hurt and healing time should be determined experimentally at beta testing.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[EDIT] The bracketed bit by Other is supposed to say 'Please state what YOUR idea is'

[Edit 2] Thanks to Goran changed it was thinking of requesting a change :D

I have turned into this rather angry person because I think that lara healing by herself is total rubbish and think it will spoil the game in terms of reality.
Other than that the game is perfect.. I think :thumbsup:

Thank you

Wess~Gamer
2nd Feb 2008, 22:56
Med Packs all the way for me :thumbsup:

Rai
2nd Feb 2008, 23:47
I don't understand what you mean, William, when you say Lara will heal herself? Has it said in a preview article somewhere that is going to happen in the game?

I read somewhere that medipacks are out - which I agree with you wholeheartedly, tis rubbish if they do that.

But where does it say Lara will heal herself? I was under the impression they were undecided how she would do it, but they were maybe thinking of using the environment somehow? I don't think anything is set in stone at this stage. I don't think it is realistic for Lara to heal by wrapping a plant round a wound or eating medicinal mushrooms or something. Well okay maybe that is realistic if you happen to be in the middle of nowhere and hurt yourself, maybe that would work? I dunno, I'm confusing myself, lol.

But happening across a whole bag of meds in the middle of nowhere isn't realistic either. Most likely in Lara's line of 'work', equipping yourself with a few supplies is common sense, but once you run out, what do you do?

Medipacks are probably the best idea for this type of game play, it is quick and easy, not realistic, but neither is being able to venture into the underworld. Not exactly an everyday occurrence is it? Medipaks have always been part of Tomb Raider, so why change it?

I'll stop babbling now...:o

Capkeez
3rd Feb 2008, 00:37
Give the issue a rest already. Medpacks will do perfectly fine. but a slow healing over time wouldnt hurt. after all, this is a videogame, not a simulation. Perhaps instead of medpacks, Lara could go about finding special herbs with healing properties or something

trxd
3rd Feb 2008, 01:22
Hello Everyone,

Right so after thinking about the way lara will heal in Underworld I have come to the conclusion that We SHOULD have Medi packs and this is why;

Lara Should not heal by herself **** . No she is NOT supernatural.

There shouldnt be specific spots where she heals. You do not see this happening in real life and this game is focusing alot on being Next gen, Eidos is focusing on weather, Lara interacting with her enviorement and now you want to spoil the reality of the game with bogus ways of Lara Healing?

We do not want Prince Of Persia healing style, drinking water will NOT heal yourself.

If any thinks of any other ways Lara could heal please list them.
I have turned into this rather angry person because I think that lara healing by herself is total rubbish and think it will spoil the game in terms of reality.
Other than that the game is perfect.. I think :thumbsup:

You totally jumped the conclusions. Nobody said she will heal on her own and nobody said she will heal prince of persia style:confused:

RaiderGirl#1
3rd Feb 2008, 02:15
I think that the medpacks were a little unrealistic. Now I understand that they are something that has been in TR, but I can see why they took them out. From what I've seen I kind of like the way Drake heals in Uncharted. With the screen going black and white and little blurry or something like that, then not getting hurt making itso that he heals and the screen goes back to normal. It's kind of nice, not to have a life bar on the screen.

TDK
3rd Feb 2008, 05:20
healing by herself OMG wut is she using magic now WTF is this about ?

rabid metro
3rd Feb 2008, 05:29
please, let's avoid arguing against fantasies and unsupported musings ...

BTW, the "no medipacks" comment in the reviews wasn't meant to be taken so literally.
it was meant to be more like "we'd like to modify the medipack concept which was previously familiar to TR".
you know, where Lara would strangely find a medipack on a deserted mountaintop, for instance.
CD (loving realism) wants a more natural way to implement magical healing ...
such a change would hopefully raise the coolness factor on their legacy meter ...
:cool:

RUGRLN
3rd Feb 2008, 08:04
Hmmmmm, let's see, how about eating fruits :lol: !

I think that's the best possible logical way, and about healing by herself, I think we do heal ourselves but I get what you mean not major dmges helaing in secs...So small will heal normally but major I think will require medis!!!

William Croft
3rd Feb 2008, 10:13
I'm not saying shes going to do that (PoP style) But i was just saying that it shouldnt be like that a sorta joke. But never the less I thought that they might do heal by herself because of all the games out there that are like that. Lets take a look at uncharted check it heals by himself. Call of Duty Check. Theres probally plenty more but I can't think of them. Now i really don't want that in Tomb Raider underworld. I wouldn't mind herbs or something along the lines of that but nothing like healing by herself. I think it destories the reality of it.

@Rugrln

If shes going to heal a fraction a minute then the game should be called Tomb Raider: Die die and die again.
I mean were going to be fighting animals and people of all sorts we need a reliable way of healing. Sorry for turning this argumentive but I think its worth it.. I'm not always like this ;)

@Rai

It hasnt said she will heal by herself but I mean if they're thinking wether they're going to inclue medi packs doesnt that mean theres going to be a new way of healing. And look at many other games, They have healing by themselves so I thought Eidos will look up to them and make healing like that. You follow :D Oh yes but maybe the people were going to kill drop medipacks? Its common sense if your going into a place with many animals to bring health packs. You understand?

humbug
3rd Feb 2008, 11:08
I'm not too keen on not having medi packs either. Medi packs are a bit unrealistic, but how many of us can do what Lara does? To me most games are unrealistic because I wouldn't survive for five minutes if it was a 'real' situation!

I'm playing gears of war at the moment and the way you heal your self is the most unrealistic yet; when you are in combat and nearly dead all you do is go to cover and full health is restored after about 3 seconds!

I suppose no medi packs in TR is ok, as long as how they choose how lara heals her self doesn't take away from the exploring and puzzle solving aspect of the game. That is what was good about health packs as you can concentrate on other aspects of the game rather than worring about your health as you do in FPS.

William Croft
3rd Feb 2008, 11:14
I'm not too keen on not having medi packs either. Medi packs are a bit unrealistic, but how many of us can do what Lara does? To me most games are unrealistic because I wouldn't survive for five minutes if it was a 'real' situation!

I'm playing gears of war at the moment and the way you heal your self is the most unrealistic yet; when you are in combat and nearly dead all you do is go to cover and full health is restored after about 3 seconds!

I suppose no medi packs in TR is ok, as long as how they choose how lara heals her self doesn't take away from the exploring and puzzle solving aspect of the game. That is what was good about health packs as you can concentrate on other aspects of the game rather than worring about your health as you do in FPS.

Its the same with Uncharted and Call of duty. If your injured you take cover and your back to normal. I really don't like that makes the game sooo easy!
Thats why I'm ranting I hope they see this thread and bring medipacks back.

Atheist
3rd Feb 2008, 11:33
I have an idea. How about take away the medipacks, and instead replace them with...CHOCOLATE BARS! :D

Eh? Eh?

humbug
3rd Feb 2008, 11:42
I have an idea. How about take away the medipacks, and instead replace them with...CHOCOLATE BARS! :D

Eh? Eh?

:lol: :lmao: :lol: Why didn't I think of that? Poor AOD always gets bashed, I quite like it now, apart from the controls.

Tomb-Dude
3rd Feb 2008, 11:58
I'm playing AOD got 11 big med packs 6 chocolate bar (lara might get hungry) and other medipacks stuff and i am quite far in the game, this would be the second time i have completed. And to be honest i am quite enjoying it :D

But i prefer medipacks but there was something i liked about legend. Getting the med packs of the mercs, but not all mercs had a medipacks so you had to suffer and try and survive whilst you found one with a medipack. I thought that was quite a good idea.

Werner Von Croy
3rd Feb 2008, 14:19
:lol: :lmao: :lol: Why didn't I think of that? Poor AOD always gets bashed, I quite like it now, apart from the controls.

That's what real adventurers use to give them energy, whilst up on mountains, so choc bars would be more realistic than medipacs.

Phlip
3rd Feb 2008, 14:53
Medipacks for me, too.

Reason being that it would be far too frustrating if eg. you accidentally saved right-in-the-middle of a fight and don't have much health, you're gonna die. Simple as is if you think about it with some degree of logic. :)

RUGRLN
3rd Feb 2008, 15:09
@Rugrln

If shes going to heal a fraction a minute then the game should be called Tomb Raider: Die die and die again.
I mean were going to be fighting animals and people of all sorts we need a reliable way of healing. Sorry for turning this argumentive but I think its worth it.. I'm not always like this ;)

Well I'm talking about small cuts and bruises which you do heal yourself, so these like 1/20 of your health I think resonably should heal if not fully but something.

Space_Monkey
4th Feb 2008, 10:24
They Don't Want to make the game that real i don't think, if they wanted to make it that real then all the jumping she does they would have to make her get tired and hmm if she falls from a critical hight and shes half dead,i wouldn't think she would be doing anymore running, flipping,ect.

So the med packs are good for me,and i think she heals just as any other game makes their person heal. lol. :nut:

William Croft
4th Feb 2008, 16:11
They Don't Want to make the game that real i don't think, if they wanted to make it that real then all the jumping she does they would have to make her get tired and hmm if she falls from a critical hight and shes half dead,i wouldn't think she would be doing anymore running, flipping,ect.

So the med packs are good for me,and i think she heals just as any other game makes their person heal. lol. :nut:

True but they can't exactly change the fact that if she falls she can't move because if they do then it'll be ruined. I mean since they can make the healing situtation better and it won't spoil the game then they should go for it.

Verios
4th Feb 2008, 19:53
Again this all falls under the category of game mechanics having to superseding realism. I'm sure Crystal Dynamics will come up with something interesting.

Wess~Gamer
4th Feb 2008, 20:06
Maybe when they said they are thinking about letting lara health herself by using plants. they didn't mean you have to stand next to a plant and press the interactive button to let lara pick it up and eat it so she'll health immidiately.
Maybe she'll just putt them in her backpack, making you able to use them whenever you want. Just like med packs, they only have different shapes and are stuck in the ground. ;)

NightRain'06
5th Feb 2008, 07:55
William_Croft

You're absolutely right that Lara is supposed to be a realistic character in Underworld and shouldn't be able to heal herself when she's hiding behind a boulder for cover from enemy gunshots like Nathan Drake does in Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. Then again, hey, she does perform bullet time dodge so she has been super-human for the past two games. In the Uncharted demo, I was looking around the screen for health bar decreasing after being shot. Then I realized the screen was gradually fading out to white as he was being hit and discovered that he could magically recover from being riddled with bullets once you find cover. Interesting !! It just dawned on me that Drake is super-human too. Drake and Croft should hook up. :D

Seriously, as I've said in another thread, for Lara healing in Underworld, I'm feeling a possibility of the team leaning towards and maybe borrowing from Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater where you can have Snake hunt, kill, and eat small animals like fish and snakes for restoring health and patch up his own wounds as another way to restore health. Why ? Well, let's see. They've been borrowing from Max Payne and The Matrix (bullet time dodge and shoot) for Legend and Anniversary so seeing them borrow something from another game seems likely at least personally. I'm not saying it's bad at all, but I have this instinctive feeling about how they'll have the player heal her specifically that's all.

I don't know why. Maybe because in the screenshot previews, she's in military attire so that's what's persuading my thought. Then again, maybe I'm entirely wrong because I saw my friend play SE and he spent a good deal of healing/patching up Snake and realizing that, the developers might detour into another route in healing her.... :scratch:

I don't mind the medipacks. Just don't bombard her with an excessive amount throughout the game. Not that I've tried to have her addicted to it or anything.... I haven't ! Well, maybe a little bit with the leg-less blob monster in Final Conflict and Natla battle in Anniversary to survive and finish the game ! :whistle: :p

MercuryRapids
5th Feb 2008, 08:42
What with Lara's agility, strength and ability to heal at the drop of a hat, I'm sure she must find a quiet corner and stick a needle loaded with steroids into her arm... :)

Rai
5th Feb 2008, 11:37
In Legend she had a max of three medpacks at any one given time, use them and you had to frantically hope for a merc to appear to drop one. Although I hated the constant mercs, I came to hope one would appear if I was left short. Some people might be able to get through that game unscathed, but not me.

Maybe in Underworld, we could have a similar system, have a limited number. But as I hope not to encounter too many poachers (is that what it said the human enemies will be), if you run out or are short of meds you can then look for an alternative method of heeling. (Dunno what, that's up to CD to decide). I mean, we can't have Jaguars dropping medpacks can we?

So we keep the medpacks but also have more natural way of healing.

William Croft
5th Feb 2008, 15:49
I'm sure they come up with a brilliant way. I don't mind I just want the game to come out and be brilliant. Although I think this is worth ranting about. I myself have got Drakes Uncharted Demo on PS3 and think it is pretty rubbish. And one thing that spoils it is the way he heals. Hiding behins a rock that just HAPPENS to be there is pretty stupid. I mean health packs wern't a bad idea at all and I don't see why it needs to be changed.

ditom
5th Feb 2008, 15:53
She should drink Red Bull.
I heard on TV that it helps.

William Croft
5th Feb 2008, 16:17
She should drink Red Bull.
I heard on TV that it helps.

Hhahhahahahahahhahahahahahhhahahahhahhaha:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I doubt that'll happen unless red bull wants the advertise they're product. Then Lara can have wings!!

ditom
5th Feb 2008, 16:23
I think that flying is more interesting than driving car or bike.

William Croft
5th Feb 2008, 16:27
I think that flying is more interesting than driving car or bike.

You'll be suprised. You tried GTA cars fly. Such joy. Anyway I think we're going off topic;)

ditom
5th Feb 2008, 16:29
You'll be suprised. You tried GTA cars fly. Such joy. Anyway I think we're going off topic;)

Yes it was cool:thumbsup:
So let's back on topic.

William Croft
5th Feb 2008, 16:40
Yes it was cool:thumbsup:
So let's back on topic.

rightio, so how you want her to heal?

Bampire
5th Feb 2008, 22:57
Medipacks, please. I don't like how they had her use them in Legend or whatever. I disliked the noise it made when picking it up and using it. Just running over a medipack will make her pick it up? So CLICHE and BORING. I miss the classic pick-up..

Bring back the OLDE MEDIPACKS! It's the REAL way to play the game!

LisaB1962
6th Feb 2008, 14:16
I like medipaks too. There's a strategy involved with them. I really didn't like the Legend system. Too haphazard for me. (Is that a pun?)

rsdigi
6th Feb 2008, 15:19
Given that Lara's world always ends up having to do with the supernatural, why not other healing options then medipacks? I mean medipacks lying around in temples untouched for thousands of years is the unrealistic thing you're missing.

Although I don't think they should go away, think about this:
What if Lara runs into the fountain of youth in Underworld, and it has streams that spread throughout a level. Instead of medipacks for that level you run across the streams which you can drink to heal. Something like that would be cool.

Xcom
6th Feb 2008, 15:23
Personally, I prefer nano-augmentations including regeneration. :whistle:

I was in a real jungle once. I can tell you: there are no medipacks lying around under bushes, left by previous explorers... and there were only empty chocolate bar wrappers. If there is any real chocolate around, monkeys get it first anyway.

William Croft
6th Feb 2008, 16:27
Given that Lara's world always ends up having to do with the supernatural, why not other healing options then medipacks? I mean medipacks lying around in temples untouched for thousands of years is the unrealistic thing you're missing.

Although I don't think they should go away, think about this:
What if Lara runs into the fountain of youth in Underworld, and it has streams that spread throughout a level. Instead of medipacks for that level you run across the streams which you can drink to heal. Something like that would be cool.

I was in a real jungle once. I can tell you: there are no medipacks lying around under bushes, left by previous explorers... and there were only empty chocolate bar wrappers. If there is any real chocolate around, monkeys get it first anyway.

I agree with you finding medipacks untouched for many years is very unrealistic but I want the pouchers to drop them. If your going to hunt for jaguars its very likely your going to bring some sort of health recovory sort of thing. Isn't it?

William Croft
6th Feb 2008, 16:29
I'd like her to heal using Medipacks, most realistic way I guess, I would like the pouchers to drop them, finding them isn't very realistic :D Medipacks all the way :p

[EDIT] next to Other it should say Please state what YOUR idea is.

MercuryRapids
6th Feb 2008, 16:37
I voted for medipacks too, although when she loses a little health from, say, a slightly too high fall, that could heal itself, as though she got a knock that hurt for a while then got better. Just a thought... :)

rsdigi
6th Feb 2008, 16:45
I agree with you finding medipacks untouched for many years is very unrealistic but I want the pouchers to drop them. If your going to hunt for jaguars its very likely your going to bring some sort of health recovory sort of thing. Isn't it?
Well remember the Peru Village stage..for example? Lara is supposedly the first to set foot there in a thousand years, yet there are modern medi packs and ammo laying around. I only touched on this subject because you mentioned realism ;)

William Croft
6th Feb 2008, 16:48
I voted for medipacks too, although when she loses a little health from, say, a slightly too high fall, that could heal itself, as though she got a knock that hurt for a while then got better. Just a thought... :)

I wouldnt mind if she healed a bit , hence the word bit, but if she healed fully by just hiding for 20 seconds wouldn't be the best idea.

William Croft
6th Feb 2008, 16:49
Well remember the Peru Village stage..for example? Lara is supposedly the first to set foot there in a thousand years, yet there are modern medi packs and ammo laying around. I only touched on this subject because you mentioned realism ;)

I understand but i think that 5 times more real than healing fully in 20 seconds ;)

rsdigi
6th Feb 2008, 17:05
I understand but i think that 5 times more real than healing fully in 20 seconds ;)
yeh that would be dumb. Like in the Wii version of TRA, you can hold as many small and large medipacks as you can find/keep. I have like fifteen of each and I"m playing normal! Werent you limited to 5 each on all other versions?

Rai
6th Feb 2008, 17:22
There were no limits. Legend was limited to three

rsdigi
6th Feb 2008, 18:51
oh ok, I was thinking of legend then.

LisaB1962
6th Feb 2008, 19:42
Two things: carrying health items allows you to choose when to heal. In a game like Tomb Raider (used to be) it also allowed you to try dangerous things because you knew you could heal if you missed that jump to that ledge you weren't sure you could get to.

The second thing is that sure, it's unrealistic for medipaks to be lying around, but that wasn't really the point. The point was finding something, and gosh, it's more fun finding something useful than finding something shiny and pretty. *thinks* Unless, of course, finding shiny and pretty things allows one to obtain useful items.

Tomb-Dude
6th Feb 2008, 20:13
I agree with William Croft, Lara aint supernatural, she isnt the princess of persia. So she can't heal by water!

I would mind her health going up a little bit and then stopping. But thats about it until you find away of treating her or healing. That i wouldn't mind, might get annoying after a while but it would be a risk i would be willing to take.

I love her medipacks but i mainly liked the fact in Legends that you could only get them off the bad guys. I think in underworld i would be good if you could search the bad guys for health packs or ammo instead of it falling out of them or just randomly finding it. Or find special equipment she could use to heal her self?

William Croft
6th Feb 2008, 22:25
Searching the bad guys would be a brilliant idea :D Although I don't want to wait 1 minute until she searches the dead people :D

TDK
6th Feb 2008, 23:06
Medipacks. :D

humbug
6th Feb 2008, 23:12

Deus Ex and TR merging, hey. :whistle: Suppose its already happening, with the sharing of the engine!

Archelaos
7th Feb 2008, 01:36
Dunno if anyone's suggested this, but what if she didn't heal? That'd be ultra realistic for you realism dudes, and hey, why stick to that for new players? They could put out medpacks for newbs on the easier levels. I'm just thinking the hardcore gamers out there would appreciate the added challenge and realism. I know I can go through a level on one health bar...:cool: Just a suggestion.

naraku
7th Feb 2008, 02:11
I like her to be able to utilize both. I want her to heal gradually and be able to use medipacks to heal should the need arise.

matches81
7th Feb 2008, 02:19
I voted for medipacks, because I like the basic system: Pick up an item to heal. Still, I think it would be great if you picked up some plants etc instead of medipacks in fitting areas.

Werner Von Croy
7th Feb 2008, 02:20
Ok people want this game realistic as possible perhaps Lara should heal herself naturally i'e carry about first aid kits where she heals herself with certain aliments such a a first aid kit where she can access certain drugs such as antipoison for poison status,bandages for bleeding and certain aliments to improve her health bar now that would make it realistic, but as a lot of TR fans have said TR is NOT realistic it is fiction, so please keep the medipacs, hence that's why i have voted for them to return,i hated with avengence AOD's health restore, please don't let it return.

Archelaos
7th Feb 2008, 02:40
But where do you set the balance between realism and fiction? eg. Lara can't fly...

TR-AOD
7th Feb 2008, 13:49
how about having a couple of St John's ambulance men following her around everywhere :scratch:

Werner Von Croy
7th Feb 2008, 14:45
how about having a couple of St John's ambulance men following her around everywhere :scratch:

:lol: :lol: that was a good one :lol: :lol: but it is fiction that's the thing she got crushed by tons of rubble a few years back, yet came back unscathed, you call that realistic?:scratch:

William Croft
7th Feb 2008, 15:06
:lol: :lol: that was a good one :lol: :lol: but it is fiction that's the thing she got crushed by tons of rubble a few years back, yet came back unscathed, you call that realistic?:scratch:

If your talking about TR IV (Revelation)then you don't know what happened, its always been a gap which hasn't been filled, we'll have to see what happened when they decide to revele (Sp.?) it, although they have said they're going to fill some gaps ;)

Xcom
7th Feb 2008, 15:32
Deus Ex and TR merging, hey. :whistle: Suppose its already happening, with the sharing of the engine!

My thoughts exactly. :thumbsup:

Although I am also considering Alchemy solution for TR. It may work. Let Lara carry mortar and pestle and search for special plants when she's hurt. Then she can make a healing potion... as well as various poisons for her wrist mounted mini-crossbow. :D

But seriously, med packs probably work best for TR style.

William Croft
7th Feb 2008, 15:35
My thoughts exactly. :thumbsup:

Although I am also considering Alchemy solution for TR. It may work. Let Lara carry mortar and pestle and search for special plants when she's hurt. Then she can make a healing potion. :D

But seriously, med packs probably work best for TR style.

Hhahahahahahah sounds like Runescape :lol:

humbug
7th Feb 2008, 15:37
Like in morrowind, although making health potions was a bit hit and miss. But I can see that working for TR, as it does seem to be something Lara would actually do. :)

LisaB1962
7th Feb 2008, 15:40
I don't see any point to over-complicating something like healing items for a game like Tomb RAider. That annoyed me about AOD--what the heck good is a ten percent health increase? Just KISS, and give me things to find.

William Croft
7th Feb 2008, 15:44
I don't see any point to over-complicating something like healing items for a game like Tomb RAider. That annoyed me about AOD--what the heck good is a ten percent health increase? Just KISS, and give me things to find.

Hhahahhahahaa, too true 10% Is nothing althought AOD wasnt that bad.

Werner Von Croy
7th Feb 2008, 15:48
Hhahahahahahah sounds like Runescape :lol:

U play runescape???:D so do i io am embarrassed to admit :o

William Croft
7th Feb 2008, 20:14
U play runescape???:D so do i i am embarrassed to admit :o

Hhahahahahahhahahahahahahaha, I used to be so addicted then realised I was wasting my time and stopped and haven't played since :D I used to love it but now I can't stand to play it (I loved it when i had 30m but then I lost it all in staking, then I got it back, then they ruined staking, trading, merchanting then I stopped, God knows what else they've ruined, havn't seen the log in page and the news updates since early november 2007!)

[EDIT] Oh-my-god Its my 500th Post!! :D Happy days :p

NightRain'06
7th Feb 2008, 20:25
In AOD, I didn't like the idea of healing her by picking up and feeding her opened chocolate bars that were on the filthy ground ! I didn't realize it then but, I hoped I didn't poison her... and she wasn't. ;)

Werner Von Croy
7th Feb 2008, 21:06
Hhahahahahahhahahahahahahaha, I used to be so addicted then realised I was wasting my time and stopped and haven't played since :D I used to love it but now I can't stand to play it (I loved it when i had 30m but then I lost it all in staking, then I got it back, then they ruined staking, trading, merchanting then I stopped, God knows what else they've ruined, havn't seen the log in page and the news updates since early november 2007!)

[EDIT] Oh-my-god Its my 500th Post!! :D Happy days :p

Sorry for going way off course as usual, it's not bad now add me to your friends list if you decide to come nack, IPM me and i'll give u my username

ditom
7th Feb 2008, 21:06
Dunno if anyone's suggested this, but what if she didn't heal? That'd be ultra realistic for you realism dudes, and hey, why stick to that for new players? They could put out medpacks for newbs on the easier levels. I'm just thinking the hardcore gamers out there would appreciate the added challenge and realism. I know I can go through a level on one health bar...:cool: Just a suggestion.

That would be cool but very hard.
For example if someone shoot to Lara and she get shoot in to head she die.
But what when she get shoot in to leg and she can't heal herself :scratch:

KasigiYabuSama
8th Feb 2008, 06:25
I think this is a "wait and see" thing 'cause so far we haven't gotten much in the way of specifics.

Personally, I think it'll be interesting to see what CD comes up with. I'm assuming it'll be something perfectly logical and plausible, like combining different stuff she finds in her surroundings into healing poultices and primitive medications. Someone back there mentioned mushrooms, which immediately got me imagining Lara picking the wrong ones and having to spend the next hour or so trying to clean up the messy forest or zoning out on a waterfall with a goofy grin on her face... :D

What worries me is that they'll change to something new that's substandard (like checkpoints and neon guides,) with no option to disable it or choose the traditional method in Options.

The Play article mentioned a focus on realism, and the guy they interviewed ('don't have the mag in front of me,) said CD was trying to maintain a balance between larger-than-life fantasy and suspension of disbelief on things that aren't like what you find in real life. A good goal, but I think they're obsessing a bit on the whole realism thing. An opportunity to add new embellishments, yes, but was the old mechanism actually a "realism" problem?

I've never had a problem with medpacks and other goodies laying around in the wilderness - the subtly goofy elements of TR like that are cool precisely for their goofiness. Another example: the way the tigers and other beasties would start prancing around, almost playfully, when they became aware of your presence...

To the contrary, I've found the arbitrary limits placed on that stuff in later games to be far more distracting from gameplay than the "unrealism" they supposedly represent. When you're immersed in the TR world, the presence of stuff laying around in nooks and crannies is something you take for granted and rarely think about, except to assume that they were left behind by the other characters in the story. The ability to carry unlimited ammo and supplies never bothered me either - the inventory screen is its own separate world. That's not plausible, but neither is it a problem in a game - at least not for me.

This is a long-arse post, but one other point I want to make: The overriding goal of shipping TR off to CD for a reinvention was to go back to the TR roots and keep a close link to the feel of the original game. Every time a basic element of the game is changed - like medpacks, flares, the save method, camera lock, targeting, etc. - there is a risk of turning TR into something else.

The best way to integrate new stuff without that risk is to always make the original elements selectable in options. That may represent design complexity that's flat-out unfeasible, but it should be looked into.

If you can pick and choose from new elements vs. classic methods, everybody's happy. 'Cept maybe the design team.:scratch:

LisaB1962
8th Feb 2008, 13:24
I agree that change for change's sake seems pointless. Since TR was never really about combat, limiting healing seems to make combat more of a focus.

Tomb-Dude
8th Feb 2008, 16:02
I think, Lara should bring along some health packs but when she goes to the underworld she will have to find news ways of healing her self. Find things which will be scattered around (Like medipacks) but not medipacks if you know what i mean. Something that heals only in the underworld sort of thing. I know hwta i mean and i hope you understand.

But whilst she is on earth, she gathers up the medpacks from the men searches them like picking up an items sort of searching and if there is anything, it makes a noice if there isn't anything... It doesn't make a noice but all the medipacks you have saved whilst on earth stay with you in the underworld until you have used them all up, and like before you have to find a new way of healing? But we have no idea what the underworld looks like yet so we cant decid on that just yet. :p

William Croft
8th Feb 2008, 16:06
I think, Lara should bring along some health packs but when she goes to the underworld she will have to find news ways of healing her self. Find things which will be scattered around (Like medipacks) but not medipacks if you know what i mean. Something that heals only in the underworld sort of thing. I know hwta i mean and i hope you understand.

But whilst she is on earth, she gathers up the medpacks from the men searches them like picking up an items sort of searching and if there is anything, it makes a noice if there isn't anything... It doesn't make a noice but all the medipacks you have saved whilst on earth stay with you in the underworld until you have used them all up, and like before you have to find a new way of healing? But we have no idea what the underworld looks like yet so we cant decid on that just yet. :p

I understand you, sort of like making potions or.. Its hard to describe but I know what you mean :D
Oh yes and I love the idea of searching people makes it more realistic and is a brilliant idea. Well done :thumbsup:

Tomb-Dude
8th Feb 2008, 16:10
I dont no about the potions, i doubt Lara is that clever? :p
But like finding items similar to Medipacks but only in certain places. Or something? But no drinking water, underworld water might be bad, never no and she aint the princess of persia like i said before.

But I still don't really like the idea of healing by her self no more, i said i did before kinda but no i amoff the idea. This is tomb raider she has neve done it before so why start now?

William Croft
8th Feb 2008, 16:14
I dont no about the potions, i doubt Lara is that clever? :p
But like finding items similar to Medipacks but only in certain places. Or something? But no drinking water, underworld water might be bad, never no and she aint the princess of persia like i said before.

But I still don't really like the idea of healing by her self no more, i said i did before kinda but no i amoff the idea. This is tomb raider she has neve done it before so why start now?

Exactly!! Theres no reason to change the healing idea since its not bad and I love it and its basically a trade mark of Tomb Raider :D

Tomb-Dude
8th Feb 2008, 16:16
Small harbs and big herbs :rasp:

Sinse no man has ever gone to the underworld you wont really expect any medpacks to be there so i can understnad why they wont to get ride of them?
But i guess we will have to wait and see about that.

William Croft
8th Feb 2008, 16:37
Small harbs and big herbs :rasp:

Sinse no man has ever gone to the underworld you wont really expect any medpacks to be there so i can understnad why they wont to get ride of them?
But i guess we will have to wait and see about that.

I hope its good, Althought i'm sure they'll think of a good way.
Wink Wink MEDIPACKS :p :p :rasp:

Tomb-Dude
8th Feb 2008, 17:03
Medipacks are good, but we just have to wait and see William Croft... See what Cd has install for us?!

William Croft
8th Feb 2008, 18:07
Medipacks are good, but we just have to wait and see William Croft... See what Cd has install for us?!

Indeed because for all we know it could be 100x better. But i really like Medipacks:D

TwinPistols
9th Feb 2008, 10:05
I'd like to have medipacks as we had in Anniversary: infinite and in strange places. The bottomless backpack and the medipacks in places where has been nobody are unrealistic but at the same time are very fun. It was this way in classic TR's, why we can't have it back?

William Croft
9th Feb 2008, 20:18
I'd like to have medipacks as we had in Anniversary: infinite and in strange places. The bottomless backpack and the medipacks in places where has been nobody are unrealistic but at the same time are very fun. It was this way in classic TR's, why we can't have it back?

Exactly, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

TheOneAndOnlyTombRaider
9th Feb 2008, 20:37
Since Lara has a new darker image she should eat the panthers that she kills! :lol:

William Croft
9th Feb 2008, 20:39
Since Lara has a new darker image she should eat the panthers that she kills! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: That was soo funny!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
[Welcome to the forum ;)]

TheOneAndOnlyTombRaider
9th Feb 2008, 20:43
Lol and Thank You!

ditom
9th Feb 2008, 20:45
Yes, welcome on our Forum dude !

William Croft
9th Feb 2008, 20:50
Lol and Thank You!

No problem. Just please dont be a one day wander. Keep visiting us :D

ditom
9th Feb 2008, 20:54
No problem. Just please dont be a one day wander. Keep visiting us :D

Yes, there are many users that came here only once.I wonder why?

William Croft
9th Feb 2008, 20:55
Yes, there are many users that came here only once.I wonder why?

Just felt like browsing the web and looking for news on underworld I guess anyway On topic we go I don't want to be told off :D

ditom
9th Feb 2008, 20:57
Again...let's get back to topic.

William Croft
9th Feb 2008, 21:02
Again...let's get back to topic.

I don't think you have stated wether you voted for Medi's, Heal by herself or other... Please tell us what you have voted for.:thumbsup:

ditom
9th Feb 2008, 21:06
I don't think you have stated wether you voted for Medi's, Heal by herself or other... Please tell us what you have voted for.:thumbsup:

Are you talking to me?
If yes I voted for medi's.:D

William Croft
9th Feb 2008, 21:09
Are you talking to me?
If yes I voted for medi's.:D

Yep I was sorry for not making that clear.
Wise choice friend. I really hope Eidos/CD see this thread and can make up they're mind on how Lara should heal. So far Medi packs is winning by a whooping 80%+ Medi packs are a sort of trademark of TR so I think they should stay.:D

ditom
9th Feb 2008, 21:12
Yep I was sorry for not making that clear.
Wise choice friend. I really hope Eidos/CD see this thread and can make up they're mind on how Lara should heal. So far Medi packs is winning by a whooping 80%+ Medi packs are a sort of trademark of TR so I think they should stay.:D

Yes, medipacks are part of Tomb Raider games but I hope they found some cool way of healing.

William Croft
9th Feb 2008, 21:22
Yes, medipacks are part of Tomb Raider games but I hope they found some cool way of healing.

And if not Medipacks :D

[600TH POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]

ditom
9th Feb 2008, 21:26
After 5 days you will have 1000.
I think that Lara could for example sit on the ground and take few deep breaths and her health will increase?

Dukem
10th Feb 2008, 00:46
I think that Lara should use medpacks, but I think that they should have a more tribal theme to them. :p Instead of being modern day, emergency first-aid kits, they could be more like little cloth bags filled with ancient herbal remedies. :lol:

I also think that these 'medpacks' should be placed better, so that they are only available to you when you desperately need them, and in small numbers. 'Medpacks' should also spawn at semi-believable places, too. :rolleyes:

Concerning ammo, I think that the only way to retreive it should be from a dead, human enemy.

William Croft
10th Feb 2008, 17:36
Concerning ammo, I think that the only way to retreive it should be from a dead, human enemy.

Yer I agree with that, I don't think finding ammo on the floor is very clever. :thumbsup:

Rapierman
11th Feb 2008, 07:25
Okay, let's get something straight here:

1. The average person wouldn't even think about doing this "tomb raiding" thing. It's dangerous enough, even in the real world, and the real folks who do that are tougher than we are. One misstep and it's a permanent death, almost instantaneously in some cases. No raising from the dead, we don't get do-overs, don't pass Go, don't collect $200. So, from the word "go", all these adventure games are unrealistic and there's nothing we can do about that. Nobody in the real world dies and then comes back to life to try everything again.

2. Yes, the average person doesn't heal instantaneously. If anything, from all the potential for injuries we've seen, it'd probably take days, weeks, or even months, depending on the severity, before they've fully healed, if they could even make it out of being in a coma. Medipacks (or, over here in the US, first-aid kits) could help reduce the effects of the injury, or, at least, give someone a better chance at surviving, but it's no substitute for a fully-functional, fully-staffed trauma center, and, last time I checked, you really don't have good access to one way out in the boonies.

Given the two real-world premesis listed above, realism may be all well and good, but it's just plain ol' impractical. Therefore, we're all just going to have to grow up and accept that we're going to have to make some compromises to make this game playable.

To that end, "medipacks" are going to have to serve as a solution. However, if you have the appropriate knowledge, herbs can also serve, albeit at a reduced efficacy.

Do "medipacks" automatically fall out when a person dies? Probably not. It might, but it would be rare, since the laws of physics dictate that things should happen in a certain way. That said, there's no law that prevents Lara from searching a dead person for unused items, such as medipacks. If you don't want to spend the time searching, that's your decision, and you get to accept the consequences of that decision. However, just because you decide to do things that way does not in any way, shape or form, give you the right to force the rest of us to do the same; not in this real world, anyway. Both options are equally valid in the real world, and should remain as such.

Rai
11th Feb 2008, 13:08
Okay, that was very insightful 'n' all, but what are you saying about medipacks in the game Tomb Raider Underworld? Are you saying that you would want them in the game? It would appear so:

To that end, "medipacks" are going to have to serve as a solution. However, if you have the appropriate knowledge, herbs can also serve, albeit at a reduced efficacy.

But you went into such detail about real life situations and how unrealistic they are, I'm only guessing. We aren't discussing whether medipacks are useful in real life under the same conditions as Lara finds herself in; we're debating as to whether CD should keep them part of TRU. For me, medipacks are as much a TR thing as Lara's pistols. Yes, they are unrealistic, but the game is too.

And FYI, They are called First-aid-kits here in the UK too. I'm guessing that the term 'medipacks' was originally thought up for the game, as a sort of universally recognisable term; something that had impact.

:)

Vernavoncroy
11th Feb 2008, 19:24
Mabey you go without healing for the first few levels then find a magic artifact that slowly heals you,that would be cool:cool:

Larahair
11th Feb 2008, 20:50
Not having limit on medi packs that really sucked.

William Croft
11th Feb 2008, 22:10

It did give a bit of a challenge Wasn't it..?

ChOnyD
11th Feb 2008, 22:18
I would like Lara to heal with medipacks, but I am not entirely sure. BECAUSE, I want them to reduce as much HUD in the game as possible.

I did a test for TRA, and found that there are about over 100 medipacks all together.

Small= About 56
Large = About 51

I dont really like using medipacks when replaying the levels. Too easy, I guess?

Jezyk
12th Feb 2008, 10:50
I´d like to have medipacks with the game, but I think there should be a limit (like 2 small ones and 1 big at a time) and that she should only be able to heal in peace (no medpack using in midjump, underwater, during fights etc.), it should also take at least a few seconds for her to use a medpack.
She could bring the medpacks with her and then if needed aquire more from defeated mercenaries and their camps.

William Croft
12th Feb 2008, 18:21
(no medpack using in midjump, underwater, during fights etc.), it should also take at least a few seconds for her to use a medpack.

That is an brilliant idea lemme post that up!

Tomb-Dude
12th Feb 2008, 18:26
If medipacks are available they should heal over time and like someone else said not to be used when jumping or in a fight. But if you are in a fight you have to find over and stay there for a bit whilst you get healed...

William Croft
13th Feb 2008, 16:12
If medipacks are available they should heal over time and like someone else said not to be used when jumping or in a fight. But if you are in a fight you have to find over and stay there for a bit whilst you get healed...

Its a good idea because there won't be any boss fights so yep I think if your fighting you have to hide somewhere to heal :D Thats a brilliant idea. Well done :thumbsup:

Vernavoncroy
17th Feb 2008, 19:33
What if there were no ways of healing at all?The game would be really hard.

Tomb-Dude
17th Feb 2008, 19:55
What if there were no ways of healing at all?The game would be really hard.

And pointless... In my opinion...

You would be dead like every second basicly. I would get so frustrated with that!

LCraider08
18th Feb 2008, 07:30
I prefer medipacks all the way.

healing herself reminds me of oblivion- and Lara croft is not a mythical character that comes from Cyrodill.

healing herself also reminds me of catwoman- we do not have a health bar filled will diamonds and when you get really low it magically goes up..

no.

health packs all the way. but just the regular kind in Legend, not like the small and large ones from all the other TR games..

William Croft
19th Feb 2008, 13:12
health packs all the way. but just the regular kind in Legend, not like the small and large ones from all the other TR games..

I wouldn't mind although I do like the small and large idea because its classic and you have a choice because if you've injured yourself a tiny bit instead of using a large/medium one... Although I don't mind.

james987654321
21st Feb 2008, 04:13
I think zip and allistar should drop lara supply packs from helicopters, they may contain ammo, new weapons and health packs...much more realistic in my opinion, ppl may ask "why wouldnt they just drop off lara then" mayb the terrain is too dangerous or the game could have a quote from lara saying somthing like "wheres the fun in it?" i dunno... just an idea

William Croft
22nd Feb 2008, 09:13
I think zip and allistar should drop lara supply packs from helicopters, they may contain ammo, new weapons and health packs...much more realistic in my opinion, ppl may ask "why wouldnt they just drop off lara then" mayb the terrain is too dangerous or the game could have a quote from lara saying somthing like "wheres the fun in it?" i dunno... just an idea

Its a good idea just a bit awkward because Zip and Alistar would either drop off all the medi packs they have instead of coming and going back. Also Alister and Zip don't follow Lara on her adventures, they stay at home and if lara needs info they give it to her A.S.A.P (as soon as possible) Its a good idea but a bit awkward. :thumbsup:

Tomb-Dude
22nd Feb 2008, 11:14
Lol, i agree with William croft and that one, she is going to the underworld? How are they suposed to get there. I would be an interesting idea but that would mean that they are playing a big part in the game, as most people would hate that, and to be honest i think i would get annoyed with a helicopter flying above me 24/7. It would remind me of war games? Dont ask why.

But I still don't know we are going to have to wait on CD to confirm what they are doing.

james987654321
23rd Feb 2008, 05:12
Yea thats true, it wudnt b zip and allister actually in the helicopter tho, theyd just arrange it, there may even be no need for a helicopter at all eg. just looks as though they've dropped it. Lara may not b able to carry everything at once so requests they drop cargo, this is just an idea to make medi packs more realistic, i also like the idea of Laras defeated enemys dropping health packs, if lara does venture into the underworld, something supernatural would b needed to restore health, but what... hmmm an elixer wouldnt b suitable. Mayb fragments of this world can restore her health over there or something kinda like kryptonite

rabid metro
23rd Feb 2008, 05:45
... confronting the issue of medipacks in the underworld, CD had to make a choice:
1. stick with the traditional but improbable scheme of seeding medipacks throughout the underworld (nay), or
2. creatively devise a way for Lara to heal in the underworld that will also be a signature feature of the game (yay!).

three cheers to CD for choosing the latter! :cool: w00t, w00t, w00000t ...

now ... after defeating an ill-intending deity, how might Lara regain health? if the deity can't be killed then perhaps Lara can only restrain or subdue it. perhaps in that moment when the deity is nullified, Lara can tap into its immortality or maybe its more like Lara can steal the deity's immortality and use that (somehow) to regain health. the deity, having lost its immortaility, can now be ... well, they did mention that the debris will be persistent ...

and who knows ... (hehehe) perhaps in the underworld, Lara truly becomes an Angel of Darkness ...
:cool:

zakker
23rd Feb 2008, 07:28
since it is TR underworld, dealing with the undead's, lara should have a weapon that when it is shot, it can draw health from the enemy and give and heal lara. many games had this feature like blade of darkness.

briek
24th Feb 2008, 17:44
Okay, so it is kind of a mixed answer. I do think that health packs should be available, but I don't think they should be randomly scattered about the level. I think that there should be a few here and there by remains of previously wreckless tomb raiders, but otherwise they shouldn't just be sitting conspicuously placed on top of a boulder. That always frustrated me in the older games. :mad2: I also think that she should be able to self heal, depending on the type of injury. If she started to drown or fell a long distance, I think a bit of waiting should do the trick, but if she was shot I think that she should be able to find materials from the area to assist in her aid (like leaves or bark to wrap around wounds). I realize it would be A LOT of work, and it probably won't happen(:( ), but it would be more realistic, and it would give the player more of a feeling of how hard it is to fix yourself while on a mission.

William Croft
26th Feb 2008, 16:59
I see what you mean but healing you self after a gun shot isnt exactly realistic on top on the fact that she has a short sleved t-shirt of what ever it is without a bullet proof vest. Everyone is entitled to they're own opinion although since CD is focusing on the factor of Realism I think Medipacks are most realistic and the classic way.... Although I see what you mean. :thumbsup:

Jezyk
26th Feb 2008, 18:22
Lara can steal the deity's immortality and use that (somehow) to regain health.

That sounds kinda similar to God of War;]

LisaB1962
26th Feb 2008, 21:07
Nothing is more deadly than a wound in a tropical environment. Trust me--you don't want realistic healing. :D

Konoko
27th Feb 2008, 03:38
I hope Lara can either heal by medipack or from a specific place:

medipack for use in the battle/boss battle
heal place for ordinary use, e.g. a clear fountain

You can reduce the total number of the medipacks but however the player will be able to heal when he gets to a safe place.

GoranAgar
27th Feb 2008, 05:31
The title of this thread bugs me.

Bampire
27th Feb 2008, 06:23
The title of this thread bugs me.

Ditto.

LisaB1962
27th Feb 2008, 12:58
It's not very edifying, is it? It should be the poll title.

William Croft
27th Feb 2008, 16:30
Sorry guys :( Guess it didn't match the whole idea of the thread. Thanks Goran :thumbsup: Sorry I didn't ask earlier. Grrr im annoyed at myself ****

Imaginary Whisk
28th Feb 2008, 07:36
I'm for Medipacks and preferably without a limit on how many she can have. :whistle:

Don't get me wrong it is annoying to see them randomly placed in the mountains, but if you really think about it neither is having unlimited ammo on her dual pistols. :mad2:

I think over all if they were going for realism, they should broaden what she can heal herself with, like herbs. But I don't think eating something like a fruit shouldn't be able to heal a gunshot wound. ****

And don't be greedy thinking that the new game needs to be a much harder challenge to be a good game. Make it to hard and it'll discourage new comers to the series. If Lara can hold countless ammo cartridges, then why have a limit on medipacks. :(

William Croft
28th Feb 2008, 21:15
I'm for Medipacks and preferably without a limit on how many she can have. :whistle:

Don't get me wrong it is annoying to see them randomly placed in the mountains, but if you really think about it neither is having unlimited ammo on her dual pistols. :mad2:

I think over all if they were going for realism, they should broaden what she can heal herself with, like herbs. But I don't think eating something like a fruit shouldn't be able to heal a gunshot wound. ****

And don't be greedy thinking that the new game needs to be a much harder challenge to be a good game. Make it to hard and it'll discourage new comers to the series. If Lara can hold countless ammo cartridges, then why have a limit on medipacks. :(

You have some great ideas although I think that having a limit on Medipacks would be good as it would give some sort of challenge. If you know what I mean. But i know what you mean. Any of them I would be happy :thumbsup:

Imaginary Whisk
28th Feb 2008, 21:27
Maybe put a limit on the amount of healing items if they still have different difficulty levels in the game; Instead of making it easier for Lara to take damage then? :scratch:

That way it'd at least be harder to stockpile Medipacks and you'd actually be using them more often.

LisaB1962
29th Feb 2008, 16:38
You know, it occurred to me as I was replying in the Traps thread that limiting health might means severely limiting "surprise" health drops, i.e., those caused by traps and slightly too far drops.

William Croft
1st Mar 2008, 13:28
You know, it occurred to me as I was replying in the Traps thread that limiting health might means severely limiting "surprise" health drops, i.e., those caused by traps and slightly too far drops.

Oh yerrr... :eek: I'd rather have traps then limited Medi's. I love traps give atmosphere to it and makes it more Tomb Raiderish..... Love traps and bolders, thoses were the good times :thumbsup:

ditom
1st Mar 2008, 20:24
It would be nice if for example Lara use bandage when she get shoot to stop bleading.

NightRain'06
2nd Mar 2008, 08:53
What with Lara's agility, strength and ability to heal at the drop of a hat, I'm sure she must find a quiet corner and stick a needle loaded with steroids into her arm... :)

LOL ! :eek: Let's not even remotely ponder that !

William Croft
4th Mar 2008, 16:19
It would be nice if for example Lara use bandage when she get shoot to stop bleading.

It would be good although then you would have to get health packs like in AOD but i'd rather have 2 options instead. And another problem would be what if you not injured by shot's but by something else do you use the same thing, and what if theres one for traps then you want to heal a shot one how does that work... It goes on and on so i'd rather keep it simple.

BlakeNowah
8th Mar 2008, 16:39
Other (Please state what you idea is)

In order to talk about healing Lara Croft, I would first discuss hurting Lara Croft.
Considering the excellent dramatic effect that the designers are pooring in this game, I would make combat a little harder. In the following sense:

Wounds
Lara
Lara Croft should act differently when hit in the arm, shoulder, leg, etc... While a hit in the leg will make her limp and move slower, a hit in the arm would make her aim harder to hit the target. More challenging, I say.

At a certain damaged state, Lara Croft would only use a single arm to shoot, and while not shooting, would hold the other arm, limping and STILL losing life due to blood loss until she heals. Her facial expression should show pain and determination (should the player choose aim the camera at her), and maybe a soundtrack to suggest a dramatic situation. Implicitly, the player's adrenalin would increase as he would identify itself with the situation and try to maneuver Lara to escape the situation.

Lara should be able to perform close combat and kick her opponent with surprise hits.

Baddies
Obviously, the baddies should "work" the same way. I hate when you empty a clip in a baddie, and he still fires like Duke Nukem, or something. Make them suffer as well, make them crawl, make them also variantly determined. I want to see a baddie run for a change.

A baddie should be able to drop his weapon if hit by bullets or other objects, even hands, in close combat. Come to think of it, so should Lara.

Healing
Lara should be able to sit down somewhere and have a full animation set of her using bandages and medical instruments. The scene should be at least 10-15 seconds, with fading scenes "shot" from different angles, to suggest an even greater lenght of time passing.

The ballance of her being hurt and healing time should be determined experimentally at beta testing.

GrieverFX
10th Mar 2008, 06:45
Medipacks is fine ;)

michael-croft
10th Mar 2008, 17:35
to make it more realistic poachers should be able to take medi-packs and wen they die u can take them:rasp:

William Croft
10th Mar 2008, 18:21
to make it more realistic poachers should be able to take medi-packs and wen they die u can take them:rasp:

Yer like in TRIII when the monkeys took the medipack at the begging although if a poucher took it its likely to eat it and then you'll never get it back. But it'll work for smaller animals.

matches81
11th Mar 2008, 20:59
Other (Please state what you idea is)

Wounds
Lara

Baddies

Healing

Honestly? For an "ultra-realistic" shooter or a survival horror game that would be awesome. For Tomb Raider? No, please don't. The main issue I have with this for Tomb Raider would be that, to keep it somewhat consistent, Lara should be unable to climb properly with an injured arm or leg, which probably will be a pretty common wound. This means that you will have to find a med-pack before you could really proceed, making the whole thing pretty cumbersome.
I always considered Tomb Raider to be a fairly fast-paced, over-the-top action-adventure game. Don't spoil that with an overdone health system. But as I said: Put it into a survival horror game or something like that :)

BlakeNowah
12th Mar 2008, 07:39
The main issue I have with this for Tomb Raider would be that, to keep it somewhat consistent, Lara should be unable to climb properly with an injured arm or leg, which probably will be a pretty common wound.

Correct. Haven't considered that. Well, perhaps Lara's life could slowly regenerate itself to a certain value considered healed, leaving the medipacs only for emergency battle situations where life might drop a lot faster than the healing rate might replenish it.

Actually, considering my scenario or not, a sloooow self heal feature would be nice anyway.

naraku
12th Mar 2008, 08:05
she could use Senzu Beans.:D

LisaB1962
12th Mar 2008, 11:43
You meant that as a joke, but you don't realize I actually started a DBZ/TR crossover fic once. :D
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/LisaB1138/Link%20pics/lara_veg.jpg

naraku
12th Mar 2008, 13:58
REALLY? That's Awesome. That's what a Senzu Bean is though, a quick way to heal after taking severe punishment perfect for the gaming world, similar to the Large medipack. It fits.

William Croft
16th Mar 2008, 20:01
It would be a good idea if you ran out of medipacks she healed herself slowly. Would beat having to start a new game. :thumbsup:

POSSL
21st Mar 2008, 19:39
Hi everyone, first post.

Something like Metal Gear Solid 3 would be cool.

~Raven23~
22nd Mar 2008, 07:54
By Medipacks :D

singyouranthem
22nd Mar 2008, 13:40
Give the issue a rest already. Medpacks will do perfectly fine. but a slow healing over time wouldnt hurt. after all, this is a videogame, not a simulation. Perhaps instead of medpacks, Lara could go about finding special herbs with healing properties or something

Yes, time heals all wounds, remember? ;) It works in Halo too.

jordoz12
24th Mar 2008, 17:58
I think the healing thing should use medipacks but it shouldnt be an instantanious thing so ppl who find every med pack cant just stand still while shooting at the bosses spaming med-packs. I watched a Left 4 Dead trailer (which btw that game will pwn all other zombie games, even resident evil :O) and to heal you switch to the med pack and use it then you character goes through the motions of putting bandaids on or w/e lara would need and it takes about 5 seconds total before they finish. <----Is a good idea

stonka
25th Mar 2008, 15:35
medipacks, BUT
-if it's a jungle level, why not create abadoned camps of previous tomb raiders (someone mentioned it here already), or like a small village where she can find some mixtures. i think it'd make it a little bit more realistic but you'd still be able to find medipacks in different places through the level.
- urban enviroment should let lara go into buildings and look for medipacks in like bathrooms or maybe even a pharmacy or something.
- some limit. i mean not 1 large and two small but maybe up to 5 medipacks in her backpack.
- no small medipacks on the lodge, above a waterfall, next to a snake pit where you die 20 times before getting to it. put an artefact there. or a relic. or anything shiny and valuable, preferably something that will let us fill more gaps in the story.
- i kind of liked the idea of the fountain of youth and srpings from it in the underwolrd, that was mentioned earlier.
- healing herbs would be a nice touch. but lara could maybe have a book on them, because some could be poisonous, or there could be different ways to combine them for different levels of damage.

PokeWarrior
30th Mar 2008, 23:07
It has to be medipacks!!

jacobtheraider
5th Apr 2008, 01:05
the medipacks

jayjay119
6th Apr 2008, 20:29
I'm new to this forum so please forgive me if this suggestion has already been said, but as much as I like the med-packs I feel that finding one in an underworld no one has been to for centuries would be incredibly unrealistic! However I feel that a survival viewer like the one used in Metal Gear Solid 3 , where you have to treat each type of injuries, such as bullets, burns, poisons, and broken bones separately with individual items like Twigs for splints etc that Lara could find in the underworld. Would suit the TR series.

RinoTheBouncer
6th Apr 2008, 21:26
I'm new to this forum so please forgive me if this suggestion has already been said, but as much as I like the med-packs I feel that finding one in an underworld no one has been to for centuries would be incredibly unrealistic! However I feel that a survival viewer like the one used in Metal Gear Solid 3 , where you have to treat each type of injuries, such as bullets, burns, poisons, and broken bones separately with individual items like Twigs for splints etc that Lara could find in the underworld. Would suit the TR series.

Why not ?!! pretty good idea n' also more realistic
Welcome to the forums ... enjoy our time with us

ziad
7th Apr 2008, 20:33
lol i dont think she should heal at all... i mean if u were about in a jungle or a tomb or whatever and u got slashed in the arm... it wouldnt recover within seconds... but i like the idea about the blood loss... and thus i think instead of healing ureself... u should stop blood loss by using a bandage or something... and yes i like the whole limping concept... it means people have to use a little more tactic rather then the stupidness that was legend (twas a good game dont get me wrong... but like seriously.. charging into a group of men all shooting as you is never a clever thing to do)... all in all i dont really mind how she heals (although i would like her to not be able to heal), its just how you should go about not getting wounded or injured in the first place *smily face*