PDA

View Full Version : Mech-augmentations in DX3, perhaps?

AI Prototype
5th Feb 2008, 02:51
Allow for a minute the (poorly grounded) assumption that Deus Ex 3 will be a prequel set 20 to 25 years before Deus Ex.

What do you think the augmentation system could be like?

If it's set in 2027, mech-augs would be like the nano-augs of 2052 in that they're state-of-the-art technology. So there seems to be a real possibility that your character could have mechanized augmentations. There are some interesting implications there.

There are enough still images related to discrimination and mech-augmentation in the teaser trailer that you have to think it's going to factor into the story. If you're dealing with those kinds of augmentations, you would have to consider how a prospective new ability will set you back in the social department. A set of Gunther Hermann-style ocular implants would probably be great for your vision and targeting, but you might find it impairing your ability to interact with NPCs. Intimidation might be a lot easier, though.

Mech-augmentation could be a sort of "best of both worlds" with regards to the aug systems in DX and IW. Obviously replacing your entire cochlea with an implant is a permanent decision, but maybe there are options for software for that implant or swappable upgrades. One that is great for long range and directional hearing so you can eaves drop on conversations, and one that allows you to "listen for sonic transducers and not get your head blown off." That is, not both components at the same time but you could swap one for the other, where as Deus Ex's were permanent.

I suppose there's another option, too. You could be a series P agent. (My memory isn't so good - series P are the MIBs, right? P for pharmaceutical augmentations, series N for nano) Though, the MIBs seemed to be more like broken automatons than intelligent spies.

Anyone else find the idea of mech-augmentations appealing?

Angel/0A
5th Feb 2008, 04:13
Mech-augmentation could be a sort of "best of both worlds" with regards to the aug systems in DX and IW. Obviously replacing your entire cochlea with an implant is a permanent decision, but maybe there are options for software for that implant or swappable upgrades. One that is great for long range and directional hearing so you can eaves drop on conversations, and one that allows you to "listen for sonic transducers and not get your head blown off." That is, not both components at the same time but you could swap one for the other, where as Deus Ex's were permanent.
Heh, sometimes I made it a goal to log all the overhearable conversations I could.

I suppose there's another option, too. You could be a series P agent. (My memory isn't so good - series P are the MIBs, right? P for pharmaceutical augmentations, series N for nano) Though, the MIBs seemed to be more like broken automatons than intelligent spies.

Anyone else find the idea of mech-augmentations appealing?
Series P was a followup to Series N AFAIK, so it probably wouldn't be possible if we're thinking of a prequel.

I'm fine with the idea of mech-augs if it is indeed a prequel, as the discrimination issues could be rather interesting to deal with.

WildcatPhoenix
5th Feb 2008, 05:05
There was a big debate on one of the forums a while back about the significance of the Series P vs Series N. Some believed the P stood for "physiopharmaceutical," while N of course stood for "nanoaugmentation." I'm more inclined to believe that the P series was simply a successor to the Series N (I do recall a Series L being mentioned somewhere along the way).

That is why in our mod, which puts the character in the shoes of an MIB, we are calling the player a Series Q agent.

-Wildcat

pauldenton
5th Feb 2008, 05:25
the mech aug idea is fine, but im not interested in the discrimination idea. to me it indicates a total lack of immagination and lazyness and i dont want it in a game - it would be hard to find a more boring and predictable concept.

Angel/0A
5th Feb 2008, 06:26
There was a big debate on one of the forums a while back about the significance of the Series P vs Series N. Some believed the P stood for "physiopharmaceutical," while N of course stood for "nanoaugmentation." I'm more inclined to believe that the P series was simply a successor to the Series N (I do recall a Series L being mentioned somewhere along the way).

That's pretty much all correct, if you go by the information included in-game:

PROSPECTUS: SERIES P AGENTS
proposal by Dr. Arthur Donovan (Versalife/HK)

The Series P Agents are the logical continuation of research resulting from the
Series N: the development of a human agent with enhanced capabilities and
absolute loyalty, but without the non-standard appearance of mechanical
augmentation or the unpredictability of nano-augmentation. Like the Series N,
the strength and speed of the Series P should be substantially above baseline
while new conditioning techniques will result in minimal pain response.
We conservatively predict a Series P agent would be 78% more effective in
combat than a normal operative without any form of augmentation.

Key features from the Series N agent will also be carried over, including the
self-termination mechanism. An ingenious variation on the "kill-switch", the
self-termination mechanism is wired into the autonomous nervous system of an
agent. If mortally wounded, the mechanism will activate and explode,
eliminating any evidence of the agent and damaging nearby hostiles.

However, we are still continuing in our attempts to isolate the source of the
albino traits present ever since the Series L, but so far the simple addition
of sunglasses and dark clothing appear to have resolved the matter in a
practical fashion...

To: MLundquist//VersaLife.783.48.90
Subject: Series P Agents (Overview)

The Series P trials have so far produced excellent results, and I continue to
believe that our physiopharmaceutical approach to agent augmentation to be
superior to mechanical augmentation - and possibly even equivalent to nanotech
augmentation - at a fraction of the cost and effort. The Series P agents show
a marked lack of pain response with a corresponding increase in endurance and
strength, while psychological conditioning has resulted in a Loyalty Estimate
of 9.66 on the Yitzhak Scale.

The modified explosive self-termination switch added in Series N has also
proven highly effective in eliminating all traces of the Series P in the event
that they are mortally wounded or otherwise unable to complete their mission
objectives.

We're continuing in our attempts to isolate the source of the albino traits,
but so far the simple addition of sunglasses and dark clothing appear to
have resolved the problem in a practical fashion.
-
Dr. Arthur Donovan

gamer0004
5th Feb 2008, 12:13
the mech aug idea is fine, but im not interested in the discrimination idea. to me it indicates a total lack of immagination and lazyness and i dont want it in a game - it would be hard to find a more boring and predictable concept.

You're completely wrong on that one :P
Think of the possibilities! Having to choose between an aug and being able to interact with people in a normal way.
In DX:IW the idea was very badly worked out, but if they work it out properley it could be really cool.

WildcatPhoenix
5th Feb 2008, 15:43
I think what pauldenton is saying is that Deus Ex is not a universe with clear moral choices. The NSF for example: yeah, they are technically good guys, but some of the acts of terror they commit are legitimate threats to social stability and innocent people are killed. The Illuminati and even Tong work with criminal elements (such as the Triads) to accomplish their goals, so even the forces of good are actively involved in "evil" activity.

But racism/discrimination is an issue with a clearly defined right and wrong. If DX3 centers around a plot such as this, it will be easy to tell who is evil and who is not. It's fairly simplistic, and I agree that Deus should strive to include more gray area in the realm of morality.

-Wildcat

gamer0004
5th Feb 2008, 16:10
No, racsism is not "clearly defined right and wrong". It completely depends on the person. Some people will say "Heck no, augmentations? I don't need them and they're so creapy". Other people wil say "As long as it makes me more powerfull, I don't care however I look."
And some will say "Augmentated people are so scary, I will never talk to them", while others would say "They might look creepy, but they're still people like you and me", and so on.

Boiny Bunny
7th Feb 2008, 09:36
I reckon you'll be playing as Paul Denton if it's a prequel - he's certainly the only character that makes sense - so I'd have to say no to mechanical augs.