PDA

View Full Version : I don't think it will take 50 years...

Xcom
4th Feb 2008, 18:03
..for nano-augmented agents to appear in real world. :eek:

Scientists at UC Berkeley already have a working nano-radio.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/wireless/a-fully+functioning-nanotube-radio-317381.php

The research is probably sponsored by MJ12. :D

tanonx
4th Feb 2008, 18:20
Meh. We still need our reconstructive and enhancement nanobots. All we've got now is an infolink.

SageSavage
4th Feb 2008, 18:30
I found this article pretty exciting:

"Contact lenses with circuits, lights a possible platform for superhuman vision"
- http://uwnews.washington.edu/ni/article.asp?articleID=39094

jordan_a
4th Feb 2008, 18:32
Very interesting. Should rename the thread... :D "Science irl" ?

RedFeather1975
4th Feb 2008, 18:39
That is so cool. :eek:
Those are some neat super agent tools.
Receiving intel without looking any different.

The only problem would be in the future you'd have no idea if Jenkins is actually working on the TPS reports or actually watching and listening to dirty movies.

Zegano
4th Feb 2008, 21:41
I think the reason why nano augs took so long to come out in DX was because the Illuminati kept the technology out of the picture. I remember someone saying that the Illuminati would keep secret any technology that was too dangerous for society or could give their enemies too much power. I as far as we know such an organization doesn't exist, so progress is unimpeded. But remember that we have to work out a way for the human brain to control this stuff, so while the potential is there it needs a lot of refinement and has to be crossed with other technology.

Xcom
5th Feb 2008, 12:43
"Contact lenses with circuits, lights a possible platform for superhuman vision"

Cool. So we have InfoLink, Light, Advanced Targeting... already. Maybe even Sonar Vision.

RedFeather1975
5th Feb 2008, 12:59
Sonar vision would be cool.
They could use green wire frames to show sound travel.
Lots of crazy applications.

SageSavage
8th Feb 2008, 18:41
"Gilford man's robotic arm restores 'feeling'"
- http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080201/GJNEWS02/112734218

Papy
8th Feb 2008, 23:26
In the early 70s, everybody thought there would be a moonbase by the end of the century. From flying cars to AI, there is a lot of "obvious" things that never happened.

Agents with cool gadget? Sure. Nano-augmented agents in 50 years? Not a chance.

minus0ne
9th Feb 2008, 00:04
I think even Ray Kurzweil's predictions are too 'optimistic'. But still nanotechnology will come faster than most of us think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Kurzweil

The Singularity is Near (2005)

* Supercomputers will have the same power as human brains.
* Computers will disappear as distinct physical objects, meaning many will have nontraditional shapes and/or will be embedded in clothing and everyday objects.
* Full-immersion virtual reality will exist.

2010's

* Computers become smaller and increasingly integrated into everyday life.
* More and more computer devices will be used as miniature web servers, and more will have their resources pooled for computation.
* High-quality broadband Internet access will become available almost everywhere.
* Glasses that beam images onto the users' retinas to produce virtual reality will be developed. They will also come with speakers or headphone attachments that will complete the experience with sounds.
* The VR glasses will also have built-in computers featuring "virtual assistant" programs that can help the user with various daily tasks. (see Augmented Reality)
* Virtual assistants would be capable of multiple functions. One useful function would be real-time language translation in which words spoken in a foreign language would be translated into text that would appear as subtitles to a user wearing the glasses.
* Cell phones will be built into clothing and will be able to project sounds directly into the ears of their users.
* Advertisements will utilize a new technology whereby two ultrasonic beams can be targeted to intersect at a specific point, delivering a localized sound message that only a single person can hear. This was demonstrated in the movie Minority Report.

* Automatic house cleaning robots will have become common.

[edit] 2018

* 1013 bits of computer memory--roughly the equivalent of the memory space in a single human brain--will cost $1000.

* Personal computers will have the same processing power as human brains.

2020's

* Computers less than 100 nm big will be possible.
* As one of their first practical applications, nanomachines are used for medical purposes.
* Highly advanced medical nanobots will perform detailed brainscans on live patients.
* Accurate computer simulations of the entire human brain will exist due to these hyperaccurate brainscans, and the workings of the brain will be understood.
* Nanobots capable of entering the bloodstream to "feed" cells and extract waste will exist (though not necessarily be in wide use) by the end of this decade. They will make the normal mode of human food consumption obsolete.
* By the late 2020's, nanotech-based manufacturing will be in widespread use, radically altering the economy as all sorts of products can suddenly be produced for a fraction of their traditional-manufacture costs. The true cost of any product is now the amount it takes to download the design schematics.
* Also by the later part of this decade, virtual reality will be so high-quality that it will be indistinguishable from real reality.
* The threat posed by genetically engineered pathogens permanently dissipates by the end of this decade as medical nanobots--infinitely more durable, intelligent and capable than any microorganism--become sufficiently advanced.
* A computer passes the Turing Test by the last year of the decade (2029), meaning that it is a Strong A.I. and can think like a human (though the first A.I. is likely to be the equivalent of a very stupid human). This first A.I. is built around a computer simulation of a human brain, which was made possible by previous, nanotech-guided brainscanning.

* The most likely year for the debut of advanced nanotechnology.
* Some military UAV's and land vehicles will be 100% computer-controlled.

[edit] 2030's

* Brain uploading becomes possible.
* Nanomachines could be directly inserted into the brain and could interact with brain cells to totally control incoming and outgoing signals. As a result, truly full-immersion virtual reality could be generated without the need for any external equipment. Afferent nerve pathways could be blocked, totally canceling out the "real" world and leaving the user with only the desired virtual experience.
* Brain nanobots could also elicit emotional responses from users.
* Using brain nanobots, recorded or real-time brain transmissions of a person’s daily life known as "experience beamers" will be available for other people to remotely experience. This is very similar to how the characters in Being John Malkovich were able to enter the mind of Malkovich and see the world through his eyes.
* Recreational uses aside, nanomachines in peoples' brains will allow them to greatly expand their cognitive, memory and sensory capabilities, to directly interface with computers, and to "telepathically" communicate with other, similarly augmented humans via wireless networks.
* The same nanotechnology should also allow people to alter the neural connections within their brains, changing the underlying basis for the person's intelligence, memories and personality.

2040's

* Human body 3.0 (as Kurzweil calls it) comes into existence. It lacks a fixed, corporeal form and can alter its shape and external appearance at will via foglet-like nanotechnology. Organs are also replaced by superior cybernetic implants.
* People spend most of their time in full-immersion virtual reality (Kurzweil has cited The Matrix as a good example of what the advanced virtual worlds will be like, without the dystopian twist).
* Foglets are in use.

[edit] 2045: The Singularity

* $1000 buys a computer a billion times more intelligent than every human combined. This means that average and even low-end computers are infinitely smarter than even highly intelligent, unenhanced humans.
* The Singularity occurs as artificial intelligences surpass human beings as the smartest and most capable life forms on the Earth. Technological development is taken over by the machines, who can think, act and communicate so quickly that normal humans cannot even comprehend what is going on. The machines enter into a "runaway reaction" of self-improvement cycles, with each new generation of A.I.'s appearing faster and faster. From this point onwards, technological advancement is explosive, under the control of the machines, and thus cannot be accurately predicted.
* The Singularity is an extremely disruptive, world-altering event that forever changes the course of human history. The extermination of humanity by violent machines is unlikely (though not impossible) because sharp distinctions between man and machine will no longer exist thanks to the existence of cybernetically enhanced humans and uploaded humans.

[edit] Post-2045: "Waking up" the Universe

* The physical bottom limit to how small computer transistors can be shrunk is reached. From this moment onwards, computers can only be made more powerful if they are made larger in size.
* Because of this, A.I.'s convert more and more of the Earth's matter into engineered, computational substrate capable of supporting more A.I.'s. until the whole Earth is one, gigantic computer.
* At this point, the only possible way to increase the intelligence of the machines any farther is to begin converting all of the matter in the universe into similar massive computers. A.I.'s radiate out into space in all directions from the Earth, breaking down whole planets, moons and meteoroids and reassembling them into giant computers. This, in effect, "wakes up" the universe as all the inanimate "dumb" matter (rocks, dust, gases, etc.) is converted into structured matter capable of supporting life (albeit synthetic life).
* Kurzweil predicts that machines might have the ability to make planet-sized computers by 2099, which underscores how enormously technology will advance after the Singularity.
* The process of "waking up" the universe could be complete as early as 2199, or might take billions of years depending on whether or not machines could figure out a way to circumvent the speed of light for the purposes of space travel.
* With the entire universe made into a giant, highly efficient supercomputer, A.I./human hybrids (so integrated that, in truth it is a new category of "life") would have both supreme intelligence and physical control over the universe. Kurzweil suggests that this would open up all sorts of new possibilities, including abrogation of the laws of Physics, interdimensional travel, and a possible infinite extension of existence (true immortality).

[edit] Some indeterminate point within a few decades from now

* Space technology becomes advanced enough to provide the Earth permanent protection from the threat of asteroid impacts.
* The antitechnology "Luddite" movement will grow increasingly vocal and possibly resort to violence as these people become enraged over the emergence of new technologies that threaten traditional attitudes regarding the nature of human life (radical life extension, genetic engineering, cybernetics) and the supremacy of mankind (artificial intelligence). Though the Luddites might, at best, succeed in delaying the Singularity, the march of technology is irresistible and they will inevitably fail in keeping the world frozen at a fixed level of development.
* The emergence of distributed energy grids and full-immersion virtual reality will, when combined with high bandwidth Internet, enable the ultimate in telecommuting. This, in turn, will make cities obsolete since workers will no longer need to be located near their workplaces. The decentralization of the population will make societies less vulnerable to terrorist and military attacks.

Keep in mind this guy's invented half the technology we now use today, but on the other hand he might be more susceptible to tunnel-visioning some aspects of the future and future technologies.

I highly recommend watching BBC Horizon's "Human v2.0";
http://youtube.com/results?search_query=horizon+human+v2.0&search_type=&search=Search
(you'll have to find better quality versions yourself as the mods wouldn't like me posting that).

SageSavage
9th Feb 2008, 00:27
I think even Ray Kurzweil's predictions are too 'optimistic'. But still nanotechnology will come faster than most of us think.

I think especially Kurzweils predictions are way too optimistic! He has some interesting thoughts to offer but he really is the personified techno-optimist and kind of naive, I think. It sometimes seems that he wastes no second on all the possible dangers those new technologies will introduce. He provides a nice and usefull newsletter though (if you can get over the occasional esoteric life prolonging whatever adds).

AI Prototype
9th Feb 2008, 01:03

I'm under the impression Kurzweil is a crazy man. I considered buying The Singularity Is Near a few years ago but the synopsis sounded like a bunch of stupid ranting. Not to mention that he lacks the proper credentials to be speaking at length on topics like that.

I like to read books written by people who are authorities on their field of discipline, who typically have Ph.D.s and who teach at world-class universities, innovate in their field, and have usually been part of government projects or think tanks.

That way I'm assured the knowledge I'm putting into my brain is legitimate and worthwhile. I once started to read a book on nanotech and stopped after the first chapter when it became apparent that the author had no formal education in a relevant field and was a right-wing son of a *****. It was called "Nanocosm" and was written by a journalist.

I have read a good book on nanotech: Engines of Creation by Eric Drexler. Drexler does have a doctorate from MIT and has been teaching at universities. It was written in 1986 but is still relevant and isn't outdated, due to nanotech still being in its infancy. One of the things that occurred to me during the course of reading it was that someone involved in writing Deus Ex had probably read it as well. I don't know if that would be Warren Spector or Sheldon Pacotti, or maybe someone read an article that was based on part of the book.

Drexler is accredited with developing the idea of an "assembler" that could put together nano-machines. Deus Ex calls it the Universal Constructor, but it's the same thing.

AI Prototype
9th Feb 2008, 01:04
I think especially Kurzweils predictions are way too optimistic! He has some interesting thoughts to offer but he really is the personified techno-optimist and kind of naive, I think. It sometimes seems that he wastes no second on all the possible dangers those new technologies will introduce. He provides a nice and usefull newsletter though (if you can get over the occasional esoteric life prolonging whatever adds).

I think "crackpot" was the term I was looking for.

Zegano
9th Feb 2008, 01:38
I take even claims by the most qualified people on the planet with a pinch of salt, but mostly because I don't want to be disappointed. Maybe I'm getting Kurzweil mixed up with someone else, but I remember hearing about him before. He's terrified of death, and trying really hard to lengthen his life span until we develop 'immortality' technology. I think he's so optimistic because he's desperate, his claims are some of the most wild I've ever heard. Even so, it is cool that nanotech will become available in our lifetimes, even if it isn't inside us.

RedFeather1975
9th Feb 2008, 04:04
Hey minus0ne, thanks for posting that link. That's pretty crazy cool in my eyes.
The universe becoming one giant supercomputer is veeery close to what I had envisioned for my silly story topic I made a while ago.
Except that I had it so that intelligent life learned that the universe is attempting to create a massive hydrogen metal sphere, which functioned as a hyperconductor, one of many components to a larger super intelligent entity. The parallel micro-universes I had in the end were an idea I thought necessary to flawlessly create the lattice for such a sphere to be stable.

B0b_P@ge
9th Feb 2008, 22:41
Tracer Tong:

"The more power you think you gain through technology, the more quickly can slip away from your grasp, your kill-switch is proof of that."

SageSavage
12th Mar 2008, 08:13
Touch“skin” digital phone tattoo lets you communicate with your gizmos
- http://www.tattooblog.org/entry/touch-skin-digital-phone-tattoo-lets-you-communicate-with-your-gizmos/

Pacemakers and Implantable Cardiac Defibrillators: Software Radio Attacks and Zero-Power Defenses
- http://www.secure-medicine.org/icd-study/icd-faq.html
(It's a study about the security of implanted pacemakers and if they are hackable via radio frequencies. They are...)

SageSavage
15th Mar 2008, 20:17
U.S. Navy: Unmanned Combat Squadron by 2025
- http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story.jsp?id=news/UCAS03078.xml&headline=U.S.%20Navy:%20Unmanned%20Combat%20Squadron%20by%202025&channel=defense

Kalai
17th Mar 2008, 11:17
Love how they missed to put in the "M" so it says that Boeing missed out on $635. Considering how much flak the US-military has been getting for not "giving" the job to a foreign contractor.

Bloodwolf806
19th Mar 2008, 01:57
One of the things that made Deus Ex great was that it was a believable sci-fi story. It was set in a believable world with believable characters and believable technology.