PDA

View Full Version : Should boulders return??

Space_Monkey
4th Feb 2008, 10:19
I mean,not like in anniversary, the one boulder they had in Peru wasn't a surprise or anything what so ever. :rasp:

It Would Be Nice To See A Few Hidden Boulders Pop Out And Then WAM lara go buhh bye all smushed and stuff! ^_^

hehe,got a little carried away,but do you think they should bring the boulders back??

TDK
4th Feb 2008, 11:08
Yeah agree but they should make it like surprising way not like legend they showed us that its coming :)

LegendLost
4th Feb 2008, 11:18
Oh Yeah! Heck, why don't they just throw in like boulders with spikes that are meant to be traps made by the ancients just so they can say they have the "Realness" Factor they want. It's a win-win situation! we get to run from surprise boulders, and they get to say the games realistic!

~Raven23~
4th Feb 2008, 12:04
I want them back for more excitement and action :)

Werner Von Croy
4th Feb 2008, 12:54
I missed the boulders in TRA especially the Natla Mines, yes i think they should bring the boulders back.

LisaB1962
4th Feb 2008, 14:07
I like boulders too.

William Croft
4th Feb 2008, 15:54
Yes definatly!! I loved it like in TRIII when you walk past and suddenly the screen shakes and you hear a sound. So much atmosphere and made it scary and added atmosphere. You would look at every corner to see if you could see one, Although not having boulders wouldnt spoil the whole game. I'm happy to see a sequel :) Although some things are for the better

zakker
4th Feb 2008, 17:34
if it is surprising, ok. bring them on:thumbsup:

naraku
4th Feb 2008, 23:21
Heck yes! bring em back

Rai
5th Feb 2008, 00:13
A couple maybe, but I was never overly keen. I could never get out the way in time! :eek:

Larry_Croft
5th Feb 2008, 02:41
Yes, boulders. TRL had a few near the end of the Ghana level and TRA had one in the room near the end of the Peru level. Boulders would be fine, but not preceded by a cutscene like the one halfway through the Ghana level. ****

rabid metro
5th Feb 2008, 04:10
... tomb raiders always have big boulders ... and spiked pits and dart traps and lurking animals and mythical beasts and mysterious characters (with ultimately bad intents) and ...
:cool:

Icetea555
6th Feb 2008, 00:24
yea that right make them hidden.

Space_Monkey
6th Feb 2008, 04:15
Yes definatly!! I loved it like in TRIII when you walk past and suddenly the screen shakes and you hear a sound. So much atmosphere and made it scary and added atmosphere. You would look at every corner to see if you could see one, Although not having boulders wouldnt spoil the whole game. I'm happy to see a sequel :) Although some things are for the better

Lol. Tomb Raider III's boulders Always scared me,they popped out of nowhere!

But thats what makes me love tomb raider,the scaryness of the lvls which makes me so scared to where i don't wanna play,but then that makes me wanna play even more!

If that makes sense,but yea The boulders should be like tr 3! :D

William Croft
6th Feb 2008, 16:02
Lol. Tomb Raider III's boulders Always scared me,they popped out of nowhere!

But thats what makes me love tomb raider,the scaryness of the lvls which makes me so scared to where i don't wanna play,but then that makes me wanna play even more!

If that makes sense,but yea The boulders should be like tr 3! :D

Totally agree with you :D

darklightdan
6th Feb 2008, 20:54
Yes, Course, Anything That Makes The Game Harder And Longer. Agree ? :)

William Croft
6th Feb 2008, 22:19
Yes, Course, Anything That Makes The Game Harder And Longer. Agree ? :)

100% But add atmosphere to that list and i'll agree 150% :D

Bampire
7th Feb 2008, 09:54
Of course! It's the whole feel of the boulders, that made Tomb Raider ... TOMB RAIDER! There was many boulders in each game, and they should stay in each of them. Or at least something rolling after her! Like the barrels, from Tomb Raider 2.

William Croft
7th Feb 2008, 15:31
Of course! It's the whole feel of the boulders, that made Tomb Raider ... TOMB RAIDER! There was many boulders in each game, and they should stay in each of them. Or at least something rolling after her! Like the barrels, from Tomb Raider 2.

Ah yes, The barrels :rolleyes:
But comon you gotta add boulders!

naraku
8th Feb 2008, 02:05
I would also like those pendulum blades thing's from TR1.

ChOnyD
8th Feb 2008, 02:18
Definitely! I loved the bolders from the old games. The ones that were so unexpected that when it came rolling towards you, you just jump up.

No cutscenes to show or anything.

Mangar The Dark
8th Feb 2008, 15:06
The boulders in TR1 were fun because they were an obvious homage to Indiana Jones, and in many ways, TR1 felt like the closest thing to an Indy adventure I'd get, so I enjoyed that (of course now that Indy 4 is almost here, TR kind of takes a backseat in the adventurous archeaology department!)

In TR2 and 3, I felt they started overuse the boulders a bit. They were no longer just a "cool homage", they were becoming a bit repetative.

But now that we've had a good long break from them, yeah, it would fun to have a few more boulders in TRU... especially ones that take you by surprise (I don't want a prolonged cinematic before the boulder starts rolling, thank you very much.)

Tomb-Dude
8th Feb 2008, 15:40
Bolders where cool and scary depending on what situation you were in Legend i found frustrating in Ghana, only because of the camera on certain bits?

William Croft
8th Feb 2008, 15:45
Bolders where cool and scary depending on what situation you were in Legend i found frustrating in Ghana, only because of the camera on certain bits?

Oh yes Ghanas ones, They were fun.. You would walk and suddenly you would hear a noise and you'll have to swing across then you would arrive go up a few spaces and hear another one then swing back and hear another one. Hhahahahahahah thats what tomb raider alls about.
And the one that falls out and you have to run (when zip says; do you hear that? Lara: I feel that!) that was brilliant although I agree the camera did change and i died a couple of times there

Tomb-Dude
8th Feb 2008, 15:46
Bolder should arrive in less expected area's like pull a switch quickly move or get squashed sort of thing.

William Croft
8th Feb 2008, 15:50
Bolder should arrive in less expected area's like pull a switch quickly move or get squashed sort of thing.

Nope nope nope **** Thats not Tomb raider, Thats excpected and thats good, That takes away the sense of atmosphere and I like it like that. Pulling a switch which makes the boulder come is expected and has no atmosphere or tension.

Tomb-Dude
8th Feb 2008, 16:05
Ok pull a switch, music appears you can hear the bolder coming down you start to run and you see the bolder go either in fornt of u down the side or squish you. But its like heart racing music which makes you run, to cover sort of thing, kind of like TR3. On the 4th level in the little maze area before you kill the dude. you jump down there are snakes and start to sprint nad a bolder comes chasing after you and you have to duck and crawl before it hits you! It also doesn't help when it is pitch black and you cant see where your going ;) What about that for bolders in underworld?

William Croft
8th Feb 2008, 16:09
Ok pull a switch, music appears you can hear the bolder coming down you start to run and you see the bolder go either in fornt of u down the side or squish you. But its like heart racing music which makes you run, to cover sort of thing, kind of like TR3. On the 4th level in the little maze area before you kill the dude. you jump down there are snakes and start to sprint nad a bolder comes chasing after you and you have to duck and crawl before it hits you! It also doesn't help when it is pitch black and you cant see where your going ;) What about that for bolders in underworld?

I loved it when you were walking And theres a sort of hill and theres ''Nothing'' behind it and all of a sudden you see a big boulder come for you and you like arghhh!! Added loads of atmosphere and made the came worth while (Not that it wasn't :p)

Tomb-Dude
8th Feb 2008, 16:12
I would liek a few bolders in Underworld but something which would be beliefable, not like it just sitting on a hill and you suddenly walk past and after many of years i decides to fall? :confused:

I like the switch idea like you open a door and the bolder falls out and got to go and run for cover before you die? :D

Mangar The Dark
8th Feb 2008, 16:28
I would liek a few bolders in Underworld but something which would be beliefable, not like it just sitting on a hill and you suddenly walk past and after many of years i decides to fall? :confused:

I agree. If there are boulders, they should have a purpose (protecting a treasure or something.) In TR3, there were a lot of times when it felt a bit random, as if the level designers thought to themselves, "Ah, heck, this is a big level, and nothing much interesting has happened for a while, what can we do to liven things up a bit? I KNOW! Let's put a boulder here! That'll be exciting!"
I prefer boulders like the first one Lara encounters in TR1, which felt somewhat logical (and therefore more rewarding), like a trap set by the builders of the tomb to protect it.

William Croft
8th Feb 2008, 16:55
I agree. If there are boulders, they should have a purpose (protecting a treasure or something.) In TR3, there were a lot of times when it felt a bit random, as if the level designers thought to themselves, "Ah, heck, this is a big level, and nothing much interesting has happened for a while, what can we do to liven things up a bit? I KNOW! Let's put a boulder here! That'll be exciting!"
I prefer boulders like the first one Lara encounters in TR1, which felt somewhat logical (and therefore more rewarding), like a trap set by the builders of the tomb to protect it.

Yep I think thats how it'll come out. To protct something like in TRI-TRIV :D

LCraider08
18th Feb 2008, 07:24
everytime i hear a boulder comin i always freak out and jump around and shoot my guns and never know where to run. i freak out and tense up. screw boulders..who needs them anyway...i do like the superaction cinematics where you have to interact.

psh boulders.

TouchOfPink
18th Feb 2008, 21:59
I'm up for boulders any time :thumbsup:

William Croft
19th Feb 2008, 12:11
everytime i hear a boulder comin i always freak out and jump around and shoot my guns and never know where to run. i freak out and tense up.

Hhahahahahahaha, thats the brilliance of it! Atmosphere is a many factor in Tomb Raider!! I love them I really hope they come back :D

Miss. Croft
24th Feb 2008, 10:01
i hope they be suprising aswell. or them just lurking were you can see them.. but you just dont know when theyll drop down and try to squash you lol:lol:

briek
24th Feb 2008, 17:25
Boulders should definitely come back, but not like in Tomb Raider Legend or Anniversary. They always gave those away, and it wasn't nearly as surprising as in the old games. I died all the time in the old games because the boulders just popped out, and if you didn't have quick reflexes you were toast (or should I say a pancake:scratch: ). I wish that would come back into Underworld, but rather than just being a random boulder, it could be falling debris. I mean, random boulders could work it was a sort of booby trap - but no cut scenes! That ruins the surprise. And I don't think I'm the only one who thinks that.

Fickji
26th Feb 2008, 16:37
I liked the boulders when they were protecting something. Like in TR1 with the door in Peru or the guy holding up the world and then it suddenly (cause you did something) starts coming after you and you have to do some jumping move to get out of the way.

BUT I hated tomb raider 3 and the rest after that one but before TR legend. Is it realistic for boulders to fall every two seconds or every time you walked around? It was like Core couldn't come up with better ways to kill Lara but with a squish trap. Same with the fall and impaled trap. Especially with the levels with boulders all around you. Like 5 in the same room.

If it works in the area I'm semi-fine with it. If you need to trigger the boulder to get a secret or relic its even better. Just give me a walkthrough so I don't get squished to death.

William Croft
26th Feb 2008, 16:42
Boulders should definitely come back, but not like in Tomb Raider Legend or Anniversary. They always gave those away, and it wasn't nearly as surprising as in the old games. I died all the time in the old games because the boulders just popped out, and if you didn't have quick reflexes you were toast (or should I say a pancake:scratch: ). I wish that would come back into Underworld, but rather than just being a random boulder, it could be falling debris. I mean, random boulders could work it was a sort of booby trap - but no cut scenes! That ruins the surprise. And I don't think I'm the only one who thinks that.

I played the old ones, the bolders are soo unpredictable and brilliant. Its like a trademark of Tomb Raider so I totally agree, I think bolders should be back.

Tomb-Dude
26th Feb 2008, 16:46
Like a said befroe boulders should return and like other people said make it a surprise! Like the sudden noice of a bolder and then you go "AHHH" as you start runnign around not knowing where to go! :D I like that!

Wess~Gamer
27th Feb 2008, 20:59
Ahh! Those stupid boulders!
You never knew where they were.
And then you saw them when it was too late!
Or if they are unexpected.. you can hear something and feel something..
But you don't know what it is, but then the noice will get harder and you just know it's a boulder.. but where? and how big/much?
You had no idea which way you had to run and most of the time you ended up dead.. then you had to do that part over again and even if I knew what way they came from even than I still had some problems with surviving!
They were just so.. so.. GREAT!!

I realy loved them :D
I realy like that you know that there's a boulder coming, but you don't know what way you have to run! :rasp:

I hope they bring them back in Underworld.. and ofcourse unexpected :thumbsup:!!

james987654321
28th Feb 2008, 02:38
I love surprising boulders!! But hate when you see them a mile away, i wish in underworld there are really fast paced bits (not interactive cutscenes) where you have to do heaps of things really fast or you die... eg. lara jumps onto a platform which crumbles so she jumps on a ledge which gives way so she jumps onto a pole which breaks then uses her grappling hook to swing away to saftey. I really enjoy those bits coz they keep me on my toes... oh and then a boulder rolls towards her which she has to dodge :nut: ... speaking of grappling hooks, they never give way which is strange...

Imaginary Whisk
28th Feb 2008, 08:35
Boulders are ok, but I think they're funniest when they were used in sequences of traps. Like the first time playing through The Great Wall in TR2.

The floor starts crumbling - revealing spikes below, so you run across. Upon hastily running into the room, to boulders begin to roll at you, so you run down the narrow path. Whilst being chased by the boulder you have to leap across a spike pit - in doing so you land in a seemingly empty room. Next up, the walls(which have spikes) begin to close in and you have to run to the middle of the narrow room and then climb into a elevated pathway. Again, the floor starts crumbling and you have to run. This time there's the extra hazard of blades swaying across your path at foot-level. This led to yet another narrow pathway with more spike walls closing in.

That's the kind of on your toes action that I miss. Just one trap at a time gets old. .___.

LisaB1962
28th Feb 2008, 13:23
Yeah, that's a wicked sequence in TR2. :D

Nowadays they just give you a QTE and call it playing the game. :(

burt_ie
28th Feb 2008, 16:40
DEFINITELY YES!!!

They were some of the most fun parts in all the old TR games.
Being squashed by surprise was highly amusing and trying to dodge them and run out of the way was exiting, maybe this is what Anniversary lacked :(

angerzXraider
27th May 2008, 17:53
Not only was it obvious that the boulders were coming, but the screen shook and the controller vibrated. How's that for understimulating? :nut:

jayjay119
27th May 2008, 17:59
I vote pro-boulders! The amountof times i got squished by those in india in TR3...and if they were in india in TR3 they MUST be in TRU....for continuity, you understand!

Space_Monkey
28th May 2008, 04:02
I agree!

Boulders are Da Bomb. XD lol

If their is some in tru..hopefully their..unexpecting! =p

Imaginary Whisk
29th May 2008, 23:49
After dusting off my old PS1 I had a humorous thought, after playing one of those old Crash Bandicoot games, that it would be hilarious to see a fixed camera and a boulder chasing Lara down a narrow path with obstacles and the such.

Of course, I'm pretty sure that's just boredom and mixed nostalgia from the '90s messing with my head. xD

[Edit] Here's what I meant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3UpxhXaYI8

rg_001100
31st May 2008, 23:32
Yeah, boulders would be good, but not as big as the Legend ones. (I don't like that, for some reason.) I want them the sortof size they were in the older ones (bigger than lara but not over-gigantic)

Surprise, yes. But have the rumble and shake and sound so its not like you face the wrong way and die.
(QTE or even normal cutscenes shouldn't ruin moments like these. Please no)
I don't want covert boulders. (or smart ones that can follow you on their own power - that would be too strange).