PDA

View Full Version : Player Choice ideas

RedFeather1975
3rd Feb 2008, 14:49
This is just a fun topic to think up and discuss different choices players can make in a game that people would find interesting and to add longevity to the game.

I'll just start with something I'm not sure would fit into a Deus Ex game, but might be cool to see somewhere. Maybe it's already been done.

The main character is a former detective and when they first visit certain areas in the game they have a flashback of their first time coming to this area in an investigation of a case they never managed to solve.
I got this idea from the topic showing scenes from Renaissance. I thought that the graphic style would be cool to use for the flashbacks giving a film noir type feeling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U3sWfxrLlM&feature=related

During the flashback they can run around and do all kinds of things like interact with regulars and make choices in helping them or hurting them. After the flashback when they explore the area they will see the long term repercussions of their actions from back then.
Like an old man being evicted. You can kill him and in the present his house will be abandoned. You can find him a cheaper house and in the present people will be living in his old house and he will be living in his new house. Or you could give him lots of money and in the present he'll own a convenience store.

Once you are back in the present you can interact with everyone even further doing sub plots or messing with them. The flashbacks are just a way of doing long term repercussions in the game. The investigation being told in the flashback could all tie into the main story somehow later.

There can be a lot of character depth in how you can see the way all these people have changed over the years and even how what you were investigating affected them. The investigation could have been trying to track down a serial killer for example.

The downside is the player wouldn't be able to leave the area while in a flashback. :(
But I think it could be really amazing story-wise.

Draco1979
3rd Feb 2008, 19:38
Well maybe not flash backs but maybe you can pick a different character and play as them work the same job they would of and at the end of the game would be the universal endings. That is one of the things I like about IW you can play as a chick or a male but they really didnt have much effect other then getting in to the gay person apartment.

gamer0004
3rd Feb 2008, 20:44
The idea of your actions in a flashback affecting the present situation is cool but there have been so many games with flashbacks that's it's trite nowadays.

Draco1979
3rd Feb 2008, 20:48
The idea of your actions in a flashback affecting the present situation is cool but there have been so many games with flashbacks that's it's trite nowadays.

When I read it, it reminded me of F.E.A.R. and if said you played that game with out jumping out of you seat then your lying.:rasp:

gamer0004
3rd Feb 2008, 20:57
When I read it, it reminded me of F.E.A.R. and if said you played that game with out jumping out of you seat then your lying.:rasp:

Yes I did play the game and it was brilliant! Damn that girl scared the **** out of me :P (figuratively speaking, off course).

rhalibus
4th Feb 2008, 00:01
The concepts of flashbacks were done really well in System Shock 2 and BioShock, RedFeather, but I'd rather Eidos Montreal focus first on the fundamentals of an immersive world--I just have such trepidation that they might "try something new" that I'm much more interested in the ways they could re-locate the heart of the first DX...

But an in-game video of a previous event displayed on some monitor wouldn't violate anything...:)