PDA

View Full Version : Game crashes whenever I read a scroll?

silverlinkx2
3rd Feb 2008, 07:58
Hey I just bought the game yesterday and after fixing the infinite intro movie loop another problem I'm having is that quite often I'll open a parchment or a scroll and when try to click the next page or exit out the sound will be stuck in a loop and the game will have crashed. I'll ctrl-alt-del and find that the game isn't responding.

I haven't been disabling one of my two cores to play the game because I didn't know that I needed to do that since Thief 1 & 2 but it did stop the infinite movie loop the first time and I've been leaving them both on ever since.

Specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo (2.0 Ghz)
2 Gigs ram
ATI Mobility radeon x1400 (drivers 12-20-07)

Any suggestions/fixes would be greatly appreciated. I bought the game off steam and it says v1.1 so it's patched as far as I know. Thanks for your time.

Peter_Smith
3rd Feb 2008, 08:41
How did you fix the infinite movie problem? It is still fixed with two cores running? Others have had the problem here, and we have not had a verified fix.

How did you disable one core? In particular, did you do it for both T3.EXE and T3Main.EXE, and if so, how?

I am thinking that using ProcessWatch to automatically set affinity of both processes to one core may the answer.

silverlinkx2
3rd Feb 2008, 09:22
Well the infinite movie thing was fixed for a while there but when I restarted DS to see if it the process manager was remembering my affinity settings for the process (because I haven't rebooted in a while) and seeing if that was the cause, I found both cores to be checked and the infinite loop started again. So that problem still isn't fixed yet I guess. I suppose the scroll thing could technically be related to it, but that's a lot harder to verify since it could be the first scroll I read or I could beat two missions and then have it happen to me. Just a matter of time. Anyway, I guess I will give them one core each by default and see how long it takes before I get my first scroll crash (hopefully I don't get one at all :mad2: )

Peter_Smith
3rd Feb 2008, 20:25
Please note that imagecfg does not work on t3.exe. That is why I recommended ProcessWatch to set affinity on launch for both t3.exe and t3main.exe.

I think that reading the scrolls could well be related to the affinity thing, but I have no proof of it because I do not have either problem, so I can't test it. With the scrolls, you are switching from 2-D rendering to 3-D rendering. The 3-D rendering requires that additional software come into play and probably memory allocation. It is possible that this change of display software does not work with a dual core. That would be a bug in thread handling. Please post back with your results in two aspects:

1. Does the permanent change of affinity (verified using Task Manager) fix the movie problem?

2. Does it fix the problem reading scrolls?

silverlinkx2
6th Feb 2008, 07:40
I can verify that the dual core tweak does not fix scroll crashes. I had ProcessWatch have each process get 1 core each, and the game still crashes. I read the parchment on the desk of the Pagan area in the docks, and the game crashed and would not respond to me exiting the button. Aside from the programming error, the only other culprit I can point to is my RAM. I have two sticks of 1 GB each, but they are by different manufacturers and have different clock speeds. I will order another one so they are identical and will post if I get another crash.

Peter_Smith
6th Feb 2008, 17:43
Please confirm that the one core affinity fixed the looping movies. :)

Is it possible to remove one stick and still have the system work? If so, I would do that one stick at a time.

Is the clock speed of the memory you will be getting supported by the motherboard? In addition to that, it sometimes helps for it to be on the board's recommended list. I found out the hard way that some boards work only with certain "hot" memory on their lists.

silverlinkx2
7th Feb 2008, 00:01
Yeah the movies work just fine. Did the makers of Thief 3 take the old Thief engine and slap new graphics on it? God you can't even swim in this game. That's super lame. Anyways, I'll keep you posted on the RAM thing and see if it helps.

Peter_Smith
7th Feb 2008, 06:57
T3 has a completely different engine based on Unreal Tournament. A lot of design decisions were made that many Thief fans take issue with.