PDA

View Full Version : No in-game tutorials

jordan_a
2nd Feb 2008, 17:17
Hi,

I hope we won't be given any in-game tutorial or a cheap "learn how to do this" first level.

I'm talking about the kind of levels where you learn how to jump, swim, open a door, cover behind walls, ect...

In IW we could disable the help, it should be the same with DX3.

Kill Switch
2nd Feb 2008, 17:39
I kind of like how they executed tutorials in System Shock 2 and Deus Ex. A completely different "training level" we can skip if we please.

jd10013
2nd Feb 2008, 18:54
I kind of like how they executed tutorials in System Shock 2 and Deus Ex. A completely different "training level" we can skip if we please.

yes, much better. if they put in in game tutorials, quest arrows, loot glimmer and other newb friendly crap, I'll be pissed.

jordan_a
2nd Feb 2008, 19:29
Kill Switch :thumbsup:

gamer0004
2nd Feb 2008, 19:56
I really don't like in-game tutorials. An million-dollar augmented agent who's got to save his ass because the base is under attack who has to learn how to climb :rasp: ?
In DX it was fit in the story perfectely.

Unstoppable
2nd Feb 2008, 20:02
The game has to sell and a tutorial is needed for new comers.

RedFeather1975
3rd Feb 2008, 00:28
Even COD4 has a tutorial level.
I imagine that not everyone whose played DX and DX2 cares about video games anymore, so it'd be good to have something to ease new players into the game mechanics.
COD4's tutorial was fun. I enjoyed smashing the watermelon and flash banging myself then being ridiculed by my squad leader.

maddermadcat
3rd Feb 2008, 00:32
The tutorial level should focus only on the stuff specific to the game. I think most people know how to walk around, look around, and shoot in games at this point. :rolleyes:

RedFeather1975
3rd Feb 2008, 00:39
What if my grandfather wanted to play?
There should also be a level that helps you set your DVD player settings and Microwave clock.

minus0ne
3rd Feb 2008, 01:16
I don't see how an optional tutorial/training level would ruin anything for anyone, though I agree there shouldn't be too much hand-holding after that.

I'll probably end up playing it anyway though, I wouldn't want to miss out on ANYTHING :D

jd10013
3rd Feb 2008, 01:32
unless I'm misreading these posts, nobody is saying they don't want a tutorial. Everybody just wants it as a separate level/map/mission or whatever. what nobody wants it for the training/tutorial to be done in game.

jordan_a
3rd Feb 2008, 09:59
A separate, optional tutorial is the best solution.

Red
3rd Feb 2008, 10:36
Yeah, It would suck to see in the first mission, right after briefing - "Push W, S, A, D to move in all directions". I think I'd start to puke if i saw that in a DX game. (Yeah, smell IW's rottenness*)

*Yes, rottenness is a word. It's derived from rotten (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=rottenness).

Angel/0A
3rd Feb 2008, 18:11
The way the tutorial was executed in DX was fine, since it all pertained to actual gameplay, and was also optional.

rhalibus
4th Feb 2008, 00:45
In VtM:Bloodlines, a character asked you if you wanted a tutorial. I thought that was a nice touch. :)

jordan_a
4th Feb 2008, 00:50
Indeed Rhalibus that's very clever.

jd10013
4th Feb 2008, 02:52
In VtM:Bloodlines, a character asked you if you wanted a tutorial. I thought that was a nice touch. :)

it was also pretty neat how if you did the tutorial, you got to start with a lockpick. if you didn't, you had to buy one.

[HP]
2nd Apr 2008, 16:08

I totally agree, even CoD4 used this!

Vasarto
2nd Apr 2008, 21:18
Hi,

I hope we won't be given any in-game tutorial or a cheap "learn how to do this" first level.

I'm taking about the kind of levels where you learn how to jump, swim, open a door, cover behind walls, ect...

In IW we could disable the help, it should be the same with DX3.

Just like in Deus Ex 1 we should get a really cool tutorial in the beginning but have it as an option of taking it.