PDA

View Full Version : Goals/Notes

AaronJ
2nd Feb 2008, 15:17
The Goals/Notes system must stay exactly the same (NO DOOM 3 PDA's!), it's so original.

But, I think datacubes should be able to record audio. No more speech-to-text stuff.

gamer0004
2nd Feb 2008, 19:39
They are NOTES, they're not intented to save everything you hear or see. And the dialog text is more realistic because it's way easier to use. You wouldn't need a music player; tou could just reed the text. And text is a hell of a lot less bytes.

AaronJ
4th Feb 2008, 02:19
I meant the select few datacubes throughout the game where it is meant to be a recording of sound, but displayed in text. For example, in the Dragon's Tooth Sword chamber in Maggie Chow's apartment.

gamer0004
4th Feb 2008, 11:19
I meant the select few datacubes throughout the game where it is meant to be a recording of sound, but displayed in text. For example, in the Dragon's Tooth Sword chamber in Maggie Chow's apartment.

Sorry, my fault.
Yes that should've been recorded in sound, but with the subtitles off course ;)

Deadelus
30th Apr 2008, 10:43
I think the sound portion would be cool. Maybe even have [player] pick up cube, look at text, and hear audio. Just my 2¢ tho.

Deadelus
30th Apr 2008, 11:38
Also: The notes in DX2 were retarded. The fact that I couldn't save my own notes was kinda stupid. Although, passwords werent saved, they didn't have to be manually put in..

Apollonius
15th May 2008, 05:24
I kinda liked having to enter the keycodes to get into places in DX. It felt more immersive tapping away on my numberpad compared to DX:IW which bypassed this, possibly because consoles don’t have keyboards :scratch:

I didn’t quite enjoy logging onto computer terminals quite as much coz I can’t type for the life of me without spillcheck on. And not being able to access my goals/notes section when I was at this screen wasn’t very helpful coz I had to remember the username/password or write it down somewhere.

But I have to say it was pretty cool logging onto a computer terminal in a game with the actual login screen popping up on my screen as opposed to looking at it in third person like some other games.

As a final verdict tho, I would prefer having more immersive elements even if they’re not as convenient as auto-login, etc, provided that the goals notes section is easily accessible and allows the player to add their own notes for convenience.

The sound topic/recorded datacubes are a good idea and works well when used properly. But in games like Doom 3 where I’d have to listen to some crazy knob rant away for 2 minutes so I could get the code to the toilet was a bit…inconvenient and frustrating. But the video files in Doom 3 were great when they’d explain weapons and technology. I’m all for that in DX3 :D

DXeXodus
15th May 2008, 11:13
But the video files in Doom 3 were great when they’d explain weapons and technology. I’m all for that in DX3 :D

Agreed. That would be a nice touch

AndrewReyna
10th Jun 2008, 18:32
I think it should stay identical to DX1.

Blade_hunter
10th Jun 2008, 22:26
In SS2 they use audio data we can listen and read when we want.
SS2 and DX were very close.
DX has a custom notes system and we must keep it
For the goals I agree we must keep the global system.
Like Apollonius I think about one enhancement is we can read our notes when we use a computer if the button isn't used for typing.
And the fact the mails can be remembered automatically like the datacubes.
We can separate the notes by the sites we have visited like SS2 it can be useful and we can find our notes more easily.

And I agree some video files can add some variety, the datacubes can be illustrated.
In the future we can find illustrated data like some pictures on DX, but a system that combine pictures and text, it can be useful on news papers and magazines

guru7892
13th Jun 2008, 04:45
The Goals/Notes system must stay exactly the same (NO DOOM 3 PDA's!), it's so original.

But, I think datacubes should be able to record audio. No more speech-to-text stuff.

one of the things I really loved about the goal/notes is the second part, NOTES!

Being able to add notes ingame would be helpful, esp. for all the door codes and such. I kinda wonder why more games don't do that, but many are just kinda simple that way.

There are some things that may be kinda annoying though. as for audio, I'd like it to record as text in the goals/notes area (or atleast a summry for conversations like dx1). also I'd like the ability to download email and such from computers (although have it take time so hackers can still get 'burned').

Organization fo the notes I always found cumbersome as well. I'd like a simple GUI that lets me stack notes into sub-files (kinda like the tree branching when browsing files and folders). why should the warehouse code and smugglers code and someones atm account# &pin# be kept in the same place? (unless they are filed under codes). Being able to customize this would be very helpful.

goal screens are rarely a game breaking issue for players, but it can mean the diffrence between knowing what you need to and wandering confused for an hour.