PDA

View Full Version : Lara's personal light source..

Wess~Gamer
2nd Feb 2008, 11:52
I've read somewhere that lara's personal light source from Tomb Raider: Legend is coming back.
I thought I saw a picture of it too by the way..

I do hope that CD will make it more usefull this time.
I didn't like it in Legend because I never had to use it..
I thought it was kinda useless to putt it in the game, there never was a dark place where you couldn't see anything untill you switched on your light.
So hopefully they putt in those dark places (just like in the wii version of anniversary..) in Tomb Raider: Underworld :rolleyes:

I also hope they make the racharging more difficult,
Like when your light falls out in the dark, It will recharge, but slow..
And when you go stand in the light it will recharge faster..
(So it recharge of sunlight :))
That means if you're in the dark and need the light to continue, you have to go outside or search for a hole with a beam of light through it for a quick recharge..

Capkeez
2nd Feb 2008, 12:01
Like when your light falls out in the dark, It will recharge, but slow..
And when you go stand in the light it will recharge faster..
(So it recharge of sunlight :))
That means if you're in the dark and need the light to continue, you have to go outside or search for a hole with a beam of light through it for a quick recharge..

That doesnt sound like a bad idea! I'd like to see it being implemented. But then it might make the game too hard.

Wess~Gamer
2nd Feb 2008, 13:38
That doesnt sound like a bad idea! I'd like to see it being implemented. But then it might make the game too hard.

Yeah, you might be right..
But maybe if it's this way: when your playing on easy-mode it will be recharging everywhere, and when your playing on hard-mode you have to go to the light..
It would make more difference between easy and hard.
which is a good thing, right?
because in de past 2 games I thought there almost weren't any differences in hard and easy..

Anyway, I think they should make more difference between them :rolleyes:

TDK
2nd Feb 2008, 13:38
I didnt love personal light source but it was useful though :rolleyes: but seeing it all the time is kind of stupid and it wasnt very important i hope they'll bring the.... i dont know the name of it but its these things that you shake it or throw it in the dark umm i remeber in legend when lara go to Paraiso (when you are able to play in here lara in the past) she have these things to throw it so she can see in the dark :D get it :lol:

Wess~Gamer
2nd Feb 2008, 13:40
i hope they'll bring the.... i dont know the name of it but its these things that you shake it or throw it in the dark umm i remeber in legend when lara go to Paraiso (when you are able to play in here lara in the past) she have these things to throw it so she can see in the dark :D get it :lol:

flares? :)
(I thought they were called that way.. :rolleyes:)

TwinPistols
2nd Feb 2008, 13:45
I didnt love personal light source but it was useful though :rolleyes: but seeing it all the time is kind of stupid and it wasnt very important i hope they'll bring the.... i dont know the name of it but its these things that you shake it or throw it in the dark umm i remeber in legend when lara go to Paraiso (when you are able to play in here lara in the past) she have these things to throw it so she can see in the dark :D get it :lol:

That things are called flares, and for me it could have the PLS and sometimes pick flares somewhere so we could use both things... i like flares.

TDK
2nd Feb 2008, 13:46
exactly :lol: OMG i look like idiot :D

flares? :)
(I thought they were called that way.. :rolleyes:)

William Croft
2nd Feb 2008, 13:52
Oooooh Flares Lol they were painful. I like her personal light source more much better and great idea wess the solar power thing.:thumbsup:

TDK
2nd Feb 2008, 13:58
but i think they were much cooler :D

Oooooh Flares Lol they were painful. I like her personal light source more much better and great idea wess the solar power thing.:thumbsup:

Ya i know that now :D hehehehe
its ok use them both but the FLARES :D are much cooler ;)

That things are called flares, and for me it could have the PLS and sometimes pick flares somewhere so we could use both things... i like flares.

William Croft
2nd Feb 2008, 14:00
I didn't like the flares because if your in a dark place and you have no flares your doomed although we'll just have to see i'll be happy with any of them!

TDK
2nd Feb 2008, 14:14
Then they should make it infinity :D

I didn't like the flares because if your in a dark place and you have no flares your doomed although we'll just have to see i'll be happy with any of them!

TwinPistols
2nd Feb 2008, 14:28
In Peru level of Legend, flares were infinite. In Underworld, flares could not only be used as light,bu could be used for solving puzzles and scare the animals,... something like that.

LisaB1962
2nd Feb 2008, 14:36
Why not have both? After all, flares burn very hot which means you might (or might not) want to use them in certain areas. Flares also can be thrown, which gives them a range advantage.

I like the idea of having to pay attention to the charge level of the PLS. :thumbsup:

TDK
2nd Feb 2008, 14:52
aha thats sounds great ;)

In Peru level of Legend, flares were infinite. In Underworld, flares could not only be used as light,bu could be used for solving puzzles and scare the animals,... something like that.

Wess~Gamer
2nd Feb 2008, 15:29
I didn't like the flares because if your in a dark place and you have no flares your doomed

Agree..

In Underworld, flares could not only be used as light,bu could be used for solving puzzles and scare the animals,... something like that.

Hmm.. actually, that sounds pretty cool.
but still, I like PLS more :)

That doesnt sound like a bad idea! I'd like to see it being implemented.

great idea wess the solar power thing.:thumbsup:

I like the idea of having to pay attention to the charge level of the PLS. :thumbsup:

Thanks.. :D

RUGRLN
2nd Feb 2008, 15:54
Well it should I think, it was quite cool and I don't see why it shouldn't return. It was in Anniv. for Wii.
I mean it's nothing extra-ordinary for an archaeologist to go somewhere dark adn require additional lgiht sources.

After all in the Underowrld it aint all bright and sunny, u knw?

Tomb-Dude
2nd Feb 2008, 17:04
I used it even when i didnt need to just have a have a better look at the detail in the walls and other stuff really... I'm glad its coming back.
Flares where "alright" but it was so annoying when you ran out, nad you had to use your guns as a lightsorce.

PLS all the way!

Atheist
3rd Feb 2008, 12:01
I never had the need to use the PLS either.

But when I do, I don't want to!! I want flares back!!!!

Tomb-Dude
3rd Feb 2008, 12:01
If they had flares like in the movies, i would mind that. I thought they were cool.

Atheist
3rd Feb 2008, 12:07
I want the classic box of flares back. There was something romantic about lighting up a flare and traversing your way across the tomb cautiously in its dim gloomy light, your pistols holstered. And then when you're done, tossing it aside where it flickers out of life and drawing your guns again.

You just don’t get that with a high-tech electric rechargeable light that fixes to your shoulder and lights up the whole room like daylight.

Rai
3rd Feb 2008, 15:22
I can see that in Legend, there wasn't much point to having that light source, but then she had flares in the flashback sequence, very nice.

There was nothing in TRA, but wasn't it the same in TR1 too? So no worries. But there was no need for it either. I saw the trailers for the Wii version. Some of the corridors were pitch black and Lara had a torch, I thought that would have been very scary to play, you can't see too far ahead of you. how frightening would it be to have an ape or a panther cornering you in the dark? :eek:

I would like to see something like this in TRU. As long as they don't overdo it. Either a torch or flares. The PLS was too bright and unnecessary.

Wess~Gamer
3rd Feb 2008, 18:54
I would like to see something like this in TRU. As long as they don't overdo it. Either a torch or flares. The PLS was too bright and unnecessary.

Hmm.. a torch would be oke too, I guess.
But please no Flares!

And the PLS might be kinda bright, yes..
But they could make it so that it will get less bright when the batterys are runnnig out.. or something like that.

just an idea :rolleyes:

okashii
4th Feb 2008, 08:36
Does anybody remember the level in Last revelation where you had to use lara's binoculars and light to help her with buttons she needed to push? I think the use of the personal light could be effective in that way.

TDK
5th Feb 2008, 17:14
Why Not ?

But please no Flares!

But they could make it so that it will get less bright when the batterys are runnnig out.. or something like that.

TDK
5th Feb 2008, 17:15
Why Not ? :(

But please no Flares!

Wess~Gamer
5th Feb 2008, 18:23
Why Not ? :(

I don't know..
I guess I'm more a guy of the modern stuff, or something.
I just like them more..
Because you can see more and better with a PLS.
And just like William Croft said, if you're out of flares, you're doomed!
So, I'd prefer the PLS or torch.. but that's just my opinion :)

William Croft
5th Feb 2008, 18:57
And great news for you. The PLS is 100% back :D

ditom
5th Feb 2008, 19:17
I think that nightvision would be cool.It's best way to see in dark places.

Wess~Gamer
5th Feb 2008, 19:57
And great news for you. The PLS is 100% back :D

I know, I know :D Great news, indeed! ;)
I'm just hoping they'll make it more usefull this time.. :rolleyes:

William Croft
5th Feb 2008, 20:38
I know, I know :D Great news, indeed! ;)
I'm just hoping they'll make it more usefull this time.. :rolleyes:

True, I didn't use it that much in Legend but it was still pretty uselfull wouldnt you agree?
Yes Night vision would be awesome but we don't want lara cell (Splinter cell hahahahah :p) Style, The PSL is pretty good too. :thumbsup:

ditom
5th Feb 2008, 21:32
True, I didn't use it that much in Legend but it was still pretty uselfull wouldnt you agree?
Yes Night vision would be awesome but we don't want lara cell (Splinter cell hahahahah :p) Style, The PSL is pretty good too. :thumbsup:

Yes PSL is also very nice but night vision is also cool

Wess~Gamer
5th Feb 2008, 21:51

Yeah, you're right! it was pretty usefull sometimes ;)
Hahaha, I also thougt about Splinter Cell when I read it :lol: LOL
And, yes.. nicht vision would also be cool, but still.. PLS is the best! :D

matches81
5th Feb 2008, 22:56
I definitely want some sort of flashlight, the PLS is okay. Although in Legend it was a pretty odd flashlight: The range of the damn thing is ridiculously short, but its lighting angle seems to be rather wide. I had some graphics glitches in Legend, so it could have been a bug, too, but having a flashlight that has a range of 3 feet or so, but is very bright in that short range, is pretty useless imho.
Anyway: I would expect a person going to a tomb, cave or similar to have a proper light source with him, and a flashlight is just the ideal thing for such an endeavour. But the PLS's batteries seem to be pretty broken. Lara should replace them. ;)
Still, I like the idea with recharging the PLS using light, could be a fun gameplay element.

Rai
5th Feb 2008, 23:55
The Personal Lightsource is back. According to the video in the Teaser Trailer thread.

William Croft
6th Feb 2008, 15:54
The Personal Lightsource is back. According to the video in the Teaser Trailer thread.

Yep i've heard it on tombraiderboard and the video. :D PLS woooooh :lol:

darklightdan
6th Feb 2008, 21:13
The Light Source Was Good But Id Want It To..

Be Brighter.
Use In Pitch Black Areas.
If Enemies See The Light The Get There Guns Out.
And Id Like Lara To Actually Switch It On.

NightRain'06
7th Feb 2008, 04:43

I've been guilty of doing the Splinter Cell night vision toggle on and off sounds whenever I had her toggle the PLS. :whistle: :lol:

In response to the topic, I'd much prefer the PLS over the dim flares. Who doesn't ?

William Croft
7th Feb 2008, 15:21
I've been guilty of doing the Splinter Cell night vision toggle on and off sounds whenever I had her toggle the PLS. :whistle: :lol:

In response to the topic, I'd much prefer the PLS over the dim flares. Who doesn't ?

I do prefer the PLS but I don't mind. Maybe if lara goes back to the TR4 ending (They might solve the ending) And we have to play the flash back, Like in Legend then we use flares :D But if we are in normal times PLS all the way :thumbsup:

LisaB1962
7th Feb 2008, 15:51
I don't mind the PLS, but it's really not as reliable as flares in a survival situation. For all those folks wanting realism, Lara would carry flares. She might have the PLS also, but something like that is too unreliable and too fragile to be your only source of light.

William Croft
7th Feb 2008, 20:21
I don't mind the PLS, but it's really not as reliable as flares in a survival situation. For all those folks wanting realism, Lara would carry flares. She might have the PLS also, but something like that is too unreliable and too fragile to be your only source of light.

She has Spares :rolleyes:

ditom
7th Feb 2008, 21:09
Match is good source of light

matches81
7th Feb 2008, 22:56
Agreed, she would carry flares for emergency situations or to light up a bigger area. But I think she'd definitely would have a flashlight, too, because it's much simpler to examine something (carvings on the wall for example) using a flashlight than with the flickering light of flare ;) Seeing how she is supposed to be interested in that sort of things, it would be a good idea to have something like a flashlight with her.

But, I agree with you: She should carry both.

KasigiYabuSama
8th Feb 2008, 05:39
I disliked Legend's switch to the "light source" intensely and hope they keep it buried.

Or...just build both that and standard flares into the game and make them selectable - the magic word.

In the classic TR games I always liked the option of using the muzzle flash from Lara's pistols as a poor man's flare. Often times it was enough just to get a brief glimpse of surroundings by firing the guns, rather than digging out a flare and burning it. No use under water, of course.

From what I've read so far the plan for Underworld is to change some of the basic tools, like eliminating medpacks (boo-oo-oo-oo-oo!) in favor of some kind of thing where you look around for herbs and berries and stuff to rub into wounds(?), also axing the flares.

That makes me seriously uneasy. I don't dislike change, I just believe that change is never neutral - and if it isn't a change for the better it is a change for the worse.

The logical way around it would be for CD to make any new feature selectable, where possible. That way we can try out the new thing but always opt for the traditional method if we don't like the change.

That may be a serious hassle from the design/technical context though.

William Croft
8th Feb 2008, 16:24
I will like to see PLS back but I hope it will be more usefull this time and game will have many dark places such as in some TR2 levels or the dark cave in the begining of bolivia (Legend).

The PLS is back take a look at the screen shots. :D

Tomb-Dude
8th Feb 2008, 16:26
The PLS is back take a look at the screen shots. :D

It is and i think it is going to be used in a better way now, as the screens i have seen defferently for the preview shots on TombRaiderChronicles it look as though the sky had darkened almost like night time now? But it was a level i have seen in daylight? Unless the day changed from night to day depending on the time in our world :rolleyes: that would be interesting...

William Croft
8th Feb 2008, 16:50
It is and i think it is going to be used in a better way now, as the screens i have seen defferently for the preview shots on TombRaiderChronicles it look as though the sky had darkened almost like night time now? But it was a level i have seen in daylight? Unless the day changed from night to day depending on the time in our world :rolleyes: that would be interesting...

Yer!! The time you set on the console determites wether its Night or day!!!!!!

Tomb-Dude
8th Feb 2008, 16:58
Yer!! The time you set on the console determites wether its Night or day!!!!!!

I think it wud be a gd idea and it could work well...

William Croft
8th Feb 2008, 17:04
I think it wud be a gd idea and it could work well...

Yep gives a bigger reaosn for the PLS to be there.:thumbsup:

Tomb-Dude
8th Feb 2008, 17:07
Yeah walking down in the jungle area and it has time starts getting late the sky changes! Starting to get dark, so you have to switch on your PLS to see where you going? Would put a lot of atmoshpere in the gmae and it would also show that Lara, has been there for a while instead of it stay bright for like hours lol...

RinoTheBouncer
8th Feb 2008, 18:20
i just love to see Lara in a very very long game
i mean , the game better be smart than being hard
and better be longer by adding more special features and cheats and i wish that no matter how many mistakes u make ,u needn't replay the level again (like givin u extra medi packs after a bunch of K.O's)
as well never FACING A BATTLE LIKE THE CENTUARS
and wish that the game becomes more well programmed unlike my ORIGINAL VERSION of ANNIVERSARY in which she cant beat the Centuars
and also the TRAOD when she keeps wearin her long trousers while when she enters the door to aquarious area she wears a short with no intros hehehehhhehe
as well as never getting dual pistols while all screenshots shows she has them in TRAOD

William Croft
8th Feb 2008, 18:30
as well as never getting dual pistols while all screenshots shows she has them in TRAOD

Hhahahahaha hahahahah!!:lol: :lol: :lmao: :lmao: That is so true!! Hhahahaha I never realised but it is!!! Although not having the pistol did make it some what harder :D :thumbsup:
Thanks for taking of caps :D
I have a feeling your going to be a regular at this forum :thumbsup:

ditom
8th Feb 2008, 21:42
On tombraiderchronicles.com I saw that Lara has PLS.It looks nice:thumbsup:

William Croft
8th Feb 2008, 22:06
On tombraiderchronicles.com I saw that Lara has PLS.It looks nice:thumbsup:

Yep its back now 100% I hope they keep it:thumbsup:

ditom
8th Feb 2008, 22:07
Yes me too.I like it.

William Croft
8th Feb 2008, 22:11
Yes me too.I like it.

I think in underworld its going to be night one time and day so it'll be very usefull.

ditom
8th Feb 2008, 22:22
I agree but in the night night vision is the only way to see everything clear.And enemies will spot Lara very easy because of light.
But I'm still happy that we don't have to use flares.