PDA

View Full Version : What News about Adrenaline dodge?

naraku
2nd Feb 2008, 07:18
Strange that no one asking about AD or Legends Hang time. Will it be taken out of Underworld?:confused:

Werner Von Croy
2nd Feb 2008, 08:08
Strange that no one asking about AD or Legends Hang time. Will it be taken out of Underworld?:confused:

There was another thread somewhere and a rather heated debate about it made by TDK

Tomb-Dude
2nd Feb 2008, 17:12
I read somewhere they are keeping it but changing it slightly but they don't really know what to do yet? Or something along those lines, can't remember where i read it though.

MercuryRapids
2nd Feb 2008, 17:20
God... :(

Diva
2nd Feb 2008, 21:23
On our recent visit to Eidos we asked the production team this very question. They know the problems people have had with it in the past and are very keen to set it right. Alas nothing has been finalised at this time, it's still very undecided atm.

rabid metro
3rd Feb 2008, 05:11
the adrenaline dodge is fine ... the problem was in the learning curve and the overall importance of needing to use it.
in TRA, it was introduced in an area where you couldn't really practice it,
and when you were given an opportunity to practice it, the situation was highly stressful.
also, it didn't help that the signature move was required to make progress through the game.

if you understand the RA/AD/HS, you should be able to use it and show off,
but it could be supported better and alternatives to it allowed.

somewhere near the start of the game there should be some incentive to go and practice special combo moves like the AD and melee moves. this wouldn't be required but it should be obvious that it is to your advantage to practice. and the practice area should be accessible without disturbing the storyline. this suggests something like a quadrant back at the manor or an entirely separate training zone (complete with a krav maga trainer that could/would rate your techniques and offer hints/strategies. hey, this guys name could even be ... ummm, lets say ... Kurtis, but do not give him star wars-like communication skills: "use the adrenaline dodge, Lara" ... (hehehe)).

in combat, using the RA/AD/HS should clearly offer advantages but if you don't get the hang of it then there ought to be non-essential penalties like being unlikely to complete time trials, and so on, and alternative combat strategies should be allowed. wouldn't it be cool to adrenaline jump out of the way of a raptor attack? the AJ wouldn't be accompanied by a head shot. the only point of the AJ would be to avoid taking damage. you could still bag a raptor by endless lead. similarly, the cumulative effects of many bullets could make a T-Rex stumble on occasion and if he stumbled at the right place, at the right time, the effect could be same as an AD/HS. the centaur battle would be longer, but i would think that with a lot of lead, a centaur might just pause for a grappling moment every once in awhile. torso would be different and similar considerations made for Natla, as examples. part of the problem with the AD was forcing players to use it. if it can be avoided, forcing players to do anything should be avoided. (i think that is part of the feedback from TRA.) the coolest of players would still use the coolest of moves but nobody would/should be shut out ...
:cool:

Atheist
3rd Feb 2008, 11:51
I liked the adrenalin dodge, but you had to have it mastered in order to kill the bosses and progress through the game. It's going to get boring if in the next game you have to use the dodge to kill the bosses again. I'd welcome it back, along as you weren’t forced to use it.

naraku
13th Aug 2008, 09:45
the adrenaline dodge is fine ... the problem was in the learning curve and the overall importance of needing to use it.
in TRA, it was introduced in an area where you couldn't really practice it,
and when you were given an opportunity to practice it, the situation was highly stressful.
also, it didn't help that the signature move was required to make progress through the game.

if you understand the RA/AD/HS, you should be able to use it and show off,
but it could be supported better and alternatives to it allowed.

somewhere near the start of the game there should be some incentive to go and practice special combo moves like the AD and melee moves. this wouldn't be required but it should be obvious that it is to your advantage to practice. and the practice area should be accessible without disturbing the storyline. this suggests something like a quadrant back at the manor or an entirely separate training zone (complete with a krav maga trainer that could/would rate your techniques and offer hints/strategies. hey, this guys name could even be ... ummm, lets say ... Kurtis, but do not give him star wars-like communication skills: "use the adrenaline dodge, Lara" ... (hehehe)).

in combat, using the RA/AD/HS should clearly offer advantages but if you don't get the hang of it then there ought to be non-essential penalties like being unlikely to complete time trials, and so on, and alternative combat strategies should be allowed. wouldn't it be cool to adrenaline jump out of the way of a raptor attack? the AJ wouldn't be accompanied by a head shot. the only point of the AJ would be to avoid taking damage. you could still bag a raptor by endless lead. similarly, the cumulative effects of many bullets could make a T-Rex stumble on occasion and if he stumbled at the right place, at the right time, the effect could be same as an AD/HS. the centaur battle would be longer, but i would think that with a lot of lead, a centaur might just pause for a grappling moment every once in awhile. torso would be different and similar considerations made for Natla, as examples. part of the problem with the AD was forcing players to use it. if it can be avoided, forcing players to do anything should be avoided. (i think that is part of the feedback from TRA.) the coolest of players would still use the coolest of moves but nobody would/should be shut out ...

Ok although we still can only speculate but I suppose
Adrenaline moments in TRU it will be up to us the gamers to decide what to shoot
I'm speculating further that since the first level is rumored to be undersea they really aren't going to give a chance this time around to practice it either of the bat.. I'm hoping that ADM and the SM will be combined and be summoned at will. Maybe a whole button can be used..

LisaB1962
13th Aug 2008, 12:39
I think the AD as we know it is gone. That saddens me because I did like it once I got the hang of it, and it would have been cool to have it as an optional move (provided it was animated with more invincibility frames.)

RinoTheBouncer
13th Aug 2008, 14:36
Adrenaline Dodge is amazing n it's sooooo easy if you choose Advanced Toggle Mode from the controls screen in TR:A

tombraidergal
13th Aug 2008, 15:42
i hear in Underworld its going to be changed, if the ground from a platform or something is crumbling away, it goes to slow motion to give you the chance to look around and choose where you want to jump to to get to saftey. i hope this helps!

rabid metro
13th Aug 2008, 21:21
Ok although we still can only speculate ...

Messages lose their contextual relevance in a few short days ...
It is for reasons like the one mentioned above (and for various other reasons) that bumping old threads (i.e. over 6 months ago) is just not kosher ...

* sighs *

... and the TRU Information Warehouse (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=78038) (a vast library of blah, blah, blah) was constructed to provide answers for these type of questions ...

* whimpers *

from the Previews section in the Warehouse, there are at least two articles tagged with information about Adrenaline Moments:

In this article the language is a little heady at first but there's a paragraph entitled "What are Adrenaline Moments?":
08-jul-18, Das Gamer: John Gaudiosi, controls/ animations/ adrenaline moments/ new moves/ new outfits (http://www.dasgamer.com/tomb-raider-underworld-brings-back-lara-now-with-naturally-heaving-cleavage/)

In the next article there's a brief description/blurb about Adrenaline Moments (3rd paragraph from the end):
08-jul-11, GameSpy: Gabe Graziani (page 2 link), 2-tiered hint system/ motion captured animation/ adrenaline moments (http://ps3.gamespy.com/xbox-360/tomb-raider-underworld/888522p2.html)

some of the other previews mention it as well. one day I'll get around to indexing all of the previews a little more extensively ...

Read On!

naraku
14th Aug 2008, 02:21
Sorry, Metro am I on a time out?:( Those links describe the Adrenaline moments like the push button scenes like the train derailment in legend without the button symbols. Not like AD.

fibra
14th Aug 2008, 11:59
the AD were easy to master it sounds strange to me that some find it hard, almost everything was easy in the game.But if you choose not to perform a headshot you dont need to, if you want to remove the AD quickly you just shoot right at the start of it and gone it is.If you dont want to use an AD against a crocodile you just jump over it, i never found it as something that would bother me in gameplay, and it was easy to use.Oh and what is the HS nad RA, I probably know it but i am not sure what it is when you pit it in this short way

Joey91
14th Aug 2008, 12:28
I liked the adrenaline dodge in TRA, it gave you a bit of a challenge but at first..I didn't get the technique at all..when the scren got blurred and arrows showing up I thought you were supposed to press the arrow buttons to choose direction! LOL:nut: but in TRU they've introduced the new adrenaline moment where everything slows down and you must (for ex. in beneath the surface trailer) make lara jump of the ledge to the platform beofre it collapses, but I still wonder..will the adrenaline dodge be in the game?? where you encounter the enemies?? any replies would be great! :D:D:D

Arctic
14th Aug 2008, 12:42
I liked the adrenalin dodge, but you had to have it mastered in order to kill the bosses and progress through the game. It's going to get boring if in the next game you have to use the dodge to kill the bosses again. I'd welcome it back, along as you weren’t forced to use it.

Yeah, you're right. All the bosses in Anniversary (maybe except the T-Rex) requires the adrenaline dodge, and it was kinda boring that they didn't think of anything new. And it was impractical for the ones, who couldn't do the adrenaline dodge..

rabid metro
15th Aug 2008, 03:09
... Those links describe the Adrenaline moments like the push button scenes like the train derailment in legend without the button symbols ...

ahhh, I'm just now understanding your question ...

the Adrenaline Moments are updated Interactive Cutscenes ...

Specific moves like Legends "bullet-time" sequence and TRA's "Rage Attack/Adrenaline Dodge/Head Shot" sequence have not been announced ...

the RA/AD/HS sequence was considered an update to the "bullet-time" sequence so I'm guessing that some move like that would feature in TRU.

about the threads: old threads should remain quiet ... new threads are appropriate for new concerns ...

naraku
15th Aug 2008, 03:48
ahhh, I'm just now understanding your question ...

the Adrenaline Moments are updated Interactive Cutscenes ...

Specific moves like Legends "bullet-time" sequence and TRA's "Rage Attack/Adrenaline Dodge/Head Shot" sequence have not been announced ...

the RA/AD/HS sequence was considered an update to the "bullet-time" sequence so I'm guessing that some move like that would feature in TRU.

about the threads: old threads should remain quiet ... new threads are appropriate for new concerns ...
I remember Goran I think it was warning us about making more than one thread about the same issue. He specifically told us to look around. I didn't want to make another thread about the same issue again. So I posted here instead. I didn't want to upset anybody.

How can proper forum behaviour not be common knowledge these days?
This is the Tomb Raider Underworld sub forum.

Do not post general Tomb Raider threads here. Go to the
Tomb Raider - General Discussion!

Also:

Please check if there is already a thread about the topic you are about to post. Use the search function.

I am done merging and moving threads. I am starting to delete them from now on.

rabid metro
15th Aug 2008, 06:02
I remember Goran I think it was warning us about making more than one thread about the same issue. He specifically told us to look around. I didn't want to make another thread about the same issue again. So I posted here instead. I didn't want to upset anybody.

no one is upset ...

and I think you misunderstood the intent of Goran's message.
Look around the forum and you'll currently see multiple threads, for example, about "Is that Amanda" blah, blah, blah.
that should be avoided.
many of the OP's of those type threads clearly did not check to see if the topic already currently existed.
going back several months to re-awaken an "old" thread is stretching the intent of "look around" ...
if you are indeed curious and worried about consistency, Goran even advised not to bump old threads ...
in general, instead of bumping old threads to resume a discussion, you should create a new thread with new or possibly updated information.
there are also isolated and specific reasons to bump old threads but this was not one of those cases ...

naraku
15th Aug 2008, 06:13
Understood thanks.