PDA

View Full Version : How a prequel can work: My revelation (EVERYBODY READ)

AaronJ
1st Feb 2008, 19:14
I just had an idea that completely BLEW MY MIND.

A prequel can work. And it can be amazing.

What it needs is a twist. An amazing twist that reveals that Deus Ex and Invisible War were completely predicted and planned by some puppet-master type character. A huge back story that brings about the origin of Page, Simons, Everett, Dowd, the augmentation project, and the planning and the release of the Gray Death.

The protagonist would be second in command to this puppet master, and the missions will be this character putting together the pieces of his plans, and around the middle of the game, he would release the Gray Death (through a computer control like destroying the Hong Kong UC in DX1 or something). He would have a love life, which would lead to the explosive ending that both the played character and his lover would be killed by the puppet master's rogue assistant, Bob Page. The puppet master would go into hiding, after it is revealed that the player character is the father of the Dentons.

This all came to me in 0.2 seconds. I have to lie down.

minus0ne
1st Feb 2008, 19:57
There are multiple ways a prequel could work. All of them thought up by Eidos Montreal. If I'm brutally honest, I don't think that's a prequel idea that would work. Though it has a narrative structure, it's not a very good one at that, and it's mostly borrowed from Ghost in the Shell.

SageSavage
1st Feb 2008, 20:20
What it needs is a twist. An amazing twist that reveals that Deus Ex and Invisible War were completely predicted and planned by some puppet-master type character ...or organisation. I think this is one of many possible ways to continue it, yes. As for the rest of your post... I don't think this would be as brilliant as it seems to you, sorry... -.-

AaronJ
1st Feb 2008, 21:55
I think this was a telekinetic communication to me from Jesus Spector himself.

RedFeather1975
2nd Feb 2008, 02:53
I purposely fine tuned my brain frequencies and relocated to pick up on Jesus Spector's transmissions first!
Usurper!

/me shakes fist!! :mad2:

That would be cool if they did manage to make a twist in a prequel that nobody could foresee.
Although now I've read this topic, there will be no secrets for me. :(

Draco1979
2nd Feb 2008, 21:04
Instead of making a prequel they should just make a game on the same topic and with a very deep and very detailed story that hits home on a very many level. For the mystery man it can be Pres. Bush.............................

Boiny Bunny
7th Feb 2008, 10:03
IF DX3 is a prequel; you will be playing as Paul Denton. There is no question about that. DX1 opens with JC's first ever mission.

Paul is the only other nano-augmented agent ever at that point (Walton Simons doesn't count) - and has already been on tons of missions - which we'll probably be playing in DX3.

Besides which, doing what you suggested would *totally* remove all credibility from the GREAT characters from the first game that were all playing an insane power game with one another.

Lucius DeBeers, leading to Morgan Everett, to Page and MJ12, to the Gray Death, President Mead, and UNATCO, to JC Denton.

They were all geniuses, and all entangled in a terrible web of shadowy deception and horrible acts. It was brilliant.

I do NOT want to find out that there was some 'magical retard' who was smarter and better than all of them.

Rule no 1 of making a sequel/prequel: NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER ruin the characters already established!!!!!!!!

AaronJ
16th Jun 2008, 19:28
*thread resurrection ray GO*

All of them thought up by Eidos Montreal.

How might you know this?

Ghost in the Shell.

I've never have any involvement in any way with anime/manga/whatever and I am proud of it.

Also, upon reflection, I don't think this will work either.

Nathan2000
16th Jun 2008, 20:19
IF DX3 is a prequel; you will be playing as Paul Denton. There is no question about that. DX1 opens with JC's first ever mission.

Paul is the only other nano-augmented agent ever at that point (Walton Simons doesn't count) - and has already been on tons of missions - which we'll probably be playing in DX3.

This is nothing more than your guess. Is there any problem with playing a mech-augmented protagonist? Your comments about Paul are already covered in this post (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=754558&postcount=7). Moreover, Deus Ex is supposed to be something more than just a few missions to do.

I just had an idea that completely BLEW MY MIND.
What it needs is a twist. An amazing twist that reveals that Deus Ex and Invisible War were completely predicted and planned by some puppet-master type character.
You know what? I think it might work. With one exception - the protagonist shouldn't know everything about the conspiracy - he should rather discover it and try to influence. He might even become the puppetmaster himself and set up a stage for what we saw in DX and DXIW. Or not. Whatever he chooses.

Lo Bruto
18th Jun 2008, 07:43
He would have a love life, which would lead to the explosive ending that both the played character and his lover

Deus Sex?

mad_red
18th Jun 2008, 08:01
Deus ex 3 will be the story of the first greasel and his daring escape from the MJ12 labs. He will become 'infected' by nanotechnology and go on to found the Omar in Russia.

Believe me, I got it from the X-files being that came out of a flaming stealth banana just outside Area-51. :eek: He said I was "the Chosen One" and even gave a pen to write it all down. Awfully kind of him.

(credits to Tool)

AgnosticJive
22nd Jun 2008, 07:44
Deus ex 3 will be the story of the first greasel and his daring escape from the MJ12 labs. He will become 'infected' by nanotechnology and go on to found the Omar in Russia.

Believe me, I got it from the X-files being that came out of a flaming stealth banana just outside Area-51. :eek: He said I was "the Chosen One" and even gave a pen to write it all down. Awfully kind of him.

(credits to Tool)

Yeah,that story almost had me...but you forgot one little detail...GREASELS CAN'T DRINK VODKA,AND EVERY RUSSIAN LIVES ON IT!
maybe next time you won't be so quick to put out false stories!

(the funny part is, for some reason I really do have a feeling that somehow russia is going to be involved in the next game,so maybe...just maybe...the little greasel that could...can.)

and to all you denton worshipers...if I see a denton as the main character of deus ex 3...I am going to give everyone the gray death AND aids...GRAIDS!

Lady_Of_The_Vine
22nd Jun 2008, 13:59
LOL, love that reply about the vodka detail... so funny. :lol:

Absentia
22nd Jun 2008, 15:30
Nice idea actually. And I know this is kinda a very obvious complaint, but surely if you've already thought of that then it's just going to be annoying if that's actually the case? xD
That's actually what I think about a lot of the stuff people suggest here - I don't want to already know half of the concepts and ideas behind a game because its fans already decided it, I hope the developers just come up with stuff by themselves and make their own (hopefully good) judgements on what to keep, what not to keep, and what to add for the next installment.

But that of course, would render this entire forum practically useless. Generally I'm guessing this forum is only just being used just to see just how popular DX3 would be upon its release, and what kind of reception would be gained from it. I doubt they look here for ideas at all.
Its like "market research" I guess.

mad_red
22nd Jun 2008, 16:21
Nice idea actually. And I know this is kinda a very obvious complaint, but surely if you've already thought of that then it's just going to be annoying if that's actually the case? xD

Absentia, you are absolutely right. That's exactly how I feel because it ruins the surprise and the disbelief, but it doesn't matter to me because...

Do you ever notice how some people are completely disgusted by a cheesy action movie, yet thoroughly enjoying the next or even the same cheesy flick another time? (I had that with Terminator 2) Or you finally watch that chick-flick and to your supreme irkedness you find it's actually OK? (NEVER had that ;) ) Some people criticize movies based on books, others just enjoy it.

I think it's all about taking things for what they are, switching of your thoughts and judgements and just relaxing into the moment. If a game or movie really is crap, then you'll just walk away in disgust. But if it's good, you're not gonna mind if it's the nth time you play, whether you know the end, whether you're a guy or girl, etc. There might be a little voice somewhere in the back of your head, but it won't be loud enough to keep you from getting high and gently floating above your chair! :D

Lady_Of_The_Vine
22nd Jun 2008, 18:38
But that of course, would render this entire forum practically useless. Generally I'm guessing this forum is only just being used just to see just how popular DX3 would be upon its release, and what kind of reception would be gained from it. I doubt they look here for ideas at all.
Its like "market research" I guess.

WTF! You mean we are just being used like a group of sad, abused laboratory monkeys! :eek:
Let us rise to the challenge, oh tribe. *eats banana* :D

LOL. Yeah, half agree that some ideas put forward could be considered as "spoilers" but I don't think it is going to make much difference really.
I guess ideas can only be prologues - you still have the whole story to experience and nobody can absolutely predict what the adventure will be and how it will end.

Luminous Path
22nd Jun 2008, 19:07
Despite the game's obvious shortcomings for PC users, it was good to see some familiar faces in IW. It would be good, in my opinion, to see some dx1 characters in dx3. Does anyone else miss the nasal tones of Alex Jacobson?

jcp28
22nd Jun 2008, 19:22
If we're talking about the prequel and since Alex appears to be close to JC's age(23 in DX 1), I'd say not. Unless it took place a few years before, in which case Alex might be an intern or something

jamesthefishy
23rd Jun 2008, 06:44
Why does everyone think this will be a prequil, I hate the idea of a prequil. I guess it would be good to see and hear old characters but... it just wouldn't be the same on todays graphics... we would have to go back to the old engine...

Lady_Of_The_Vine
23rd Jun 2008, 08:13
Not everyone thinks DX3 will be a prequel. :nut:
This is just the opinion of the thread creator in order to promote a discussion about it. :)

jamesthefishy
23rd Jun 2008, 09:46
Not everyone thinks DX3 will be a prequel. :nut:
This is just the opinion of the thread creator in order to promote a discussion about it. :)

true but meh, I just I dunno I would really hate a prequel.

iWait
23rd Jun 2008, 12:44
Why would we have to go back to the old engine?

Luminous Path
23rd Jun 2008, 12:59
Pure nostalgic value?

Luminous Path
23rd Jun 2008, 13:09
It would be interesting to see dx1 with the IW graphics engine. There is a similar project underway currently, to update the original half life using the source engine. A previous attempt was made but lacked impact as many textures remained the same, hence the complete overhaul. See

http://www.blackmesasource.com/

Perhaps at some point in the future the same thing will be done with dx1, however unlikely it may seem. The characters included in IW translated well from dx1 and the Unreal engine in aesthetics at least. This is only my opinion though.

AaronJ
23rd Jun 2008, 19:36
Why does everyone think this will be a prequil, I hate the idea of a prequil. I guess it would be good to see and hear old characters but... it just wouldn't be the same on todays graphics... we would have to go back to the old engine...

I do not think it will be a "prequil", nor a prequel.

Tsumaru
24th Jun 2008, 14:03
I hate the idea of a prequil. I guess it would be good to see and hear old characters but... it just wouldn't be the same on todays graphics... we would have to go back to the old engine...
What? ...why?

Station409
3rd Jul 2008, 06:35
No no, you ALL have it wrong. Your character will start out inside the cloning facility vault. The waterchip will break, and you will be required to go out into the world and.... oh wait, wrong game.

The problem with prequels is that they have the ability to screw up a really good storyline created in the first games. And unlike the likes of Ultima 9, can't actually just be 'disregarded' by the fans of the story as though they didn't exist. Well, not as easily anyway.

I just hope that whatever storyline they have come up with, they do it well.

That said, I'd like a return to the game they created with Dues Ex, as I thought IW was rather 'dumbed down' and lacked a lot of what made Dues Ex an excellent game. And no, I'm not just saying that because it was a console port, which, by default, are often far less complex than their PC only partners.

jcp28
3rd Jul 2008, 23:10
I can see that some people don't want a prequel because they feel like they know everything that's going to happen. However, as long as the prequel can be fleshed out sufficiently with some new people and setting, it could work even though we may be familiar with the setting. I To try to illustrate how, I will talk about this example I just thought of example yesterday. My explanation of it isn't brillant, but I think it works. And it shows how a prequel can work. A certain amount of the prequel

There was this fantasy series called the Sword of Shannara. Thr original trilogy was published back in the late 70s early 80s. Then Terry Brooks was somehow convinced to write a prequel to those books called First King Of Shannara. It was published in 1995. It covered events that had been mentioned that occured 500 years before the first book occured. Namely, the battle where the elven general called Jerle Shannara defeated the evil leader known as the Warlock Lord who ended surviving to fight another day.

Enough with the story. The thing I enjoyed the most about it was the way it was able to add so much background to a time and setting that had only been briefly covered in the first book. There were so many other characters and settings that proved to flesh out what otherwise could have turned out pretty damn flat since it comes from a story that many people already knew about. Sure, the world was the same but you could tell it was a different time.

How does this translate to the game? Well, we can expand the characters and important events in the game significantly. We don't necessarily have to have something like "Paul Denton meets Tracer Tong, discovers conspiracy, and considers switching sides" There could be more to the story than just those basic events that are mentioned in DX1. Or it could be completely different if Paul is not a central character.

I know it's not completely applicable. I know that books and video games do not work exactly the same way. But I'm basically saying as long as the setting is expanded upon to where certain things like the cast seem fresh, then the prequel just mightwork. I'm not optimistic though, because I know certain things are probably beyond the capability of Eidos Montreal, as far as a good prequel story.

Kevyne-Shandris
6th Jul 2008, 02:39
Don't think "new characters" itself would work out too much (and a prequel -- unless it's one that goes back to DX [that would be kewl, to see that world looking in today's 3D]). Think one of the main let downs of DX:IW is that a player wasn't JC again.

JC is to DX as Laura Croft is to Tomb Raider. Remove either, the games aren't much of their titles. JC in his shades and trenchcoat; Laura with her shades and sixshooters.

Would even go to the extent of saying, many things that could go wrong in DX3's production, would be excused better if JC was the pointman again, too. All for the simple fact it's a return to the origins again.

Would be something to see all those with 2002 registration dates that hanged around this forum during DX's heyday, also return. Think things then would be more forgiven.

This is one game, to heal would mean to mend some broken fences. Not drift into the wind, hoping kids will like it with another cover art of a punk who can't even point a sidearm right.