PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider: Underworld on IGN

Keir
31st Jan 2008, 17:40
Check this out, the first official screens online.....

Put your magazines away, you get to see Lara in her HQ glory.

LINKY (http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/848/848764p1.html)

Phlip
31st Jan 2008, 17:50
Awesome! :D

EDIT:

When I click on the pictures to enlarge them, I just get this (http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc80/Phlip_03/annoying.jpg) which is highly annoying. :mad2:

Gamer4Lyfe
31st Jan 2008, 18:02
Whooo hooooooooooooo! :eek: :lmao:

Awesome. Truly awesome! Make it mindblowing CD!!!!

Rai
31st Jan 2008, 18:12
Very Very impressive. :D

Thank you!

William Croft
31st Jan 2008, 20:16
Thats looks great!!! Cant wait!!! Arghhh. If ones Tomb Raider isn't out soon one will be very angry with ones crystal dynamics and ones eidos:)

Mangar The Dark
31st Jan 2008, 20:32
Aside from the pictures, the description of tha game sounds great too!
Anyone else get excited when they talked about how the levels are so large and non-linear that you'll want to leave debris to mark your paths so you don't get lost? Obviously this is a far cry from the types of levels we saw in Legend!

TDK
31st Jan 2008, 20:35
Wow that was really cool i loved that pic that shows her face :D

LisaB1962
31st Jan 2008, 21:26
Aside from the pictures, the description of tha game sounds great too!
Anyone else get excited when they talked about how the levels are so large and non-linear that you'll want to leave debris to mark your paths so you don't get lost? Obviously this is a far cry from the types of levels we saw in Legend!

I'm hoping the backpack comes equipped with breadcrumbs.

At first I was disappointed with the beam walking. Really---is there anything more tedious in a game than beam walking? But then I saw a screen that looked like we might be able to do something interesting on a beam (i.e., tumble) so maybe I won't mind too much.

rabid metro
1st Feb 2008, 06:09
TRU goodness, oh my ...

I hope the CD crew demands and gets enough time to do this right. this game will redefine the series. tomb raiding was never like this. seeing a glimpse of TRU sort of explains why TRL was so short: it was the briefest of introductions into a new generation of tomb raiding. there simply wasn't time to put all of this goodness into Legend. (unfortunately in some respects) Legend really was a demo. TRA was useful because it put CD's finger on the pulse of what raiders previously liked about the game, ... and now raiders of all kinds are going to lose their socks when Lara gets back on top ...

... this time its going to be different!
:cool:

LisaB1962
1st Feb 2008, 13:49
TRU goodness, oh my ...

I hope the CD crew demands and gets enough time to do this right. this game will redefine the series. tomb raiding was never like this. seeing a glimpse of TRU sort of explains why TRL was so short: it was the briefest of introductions into a new generation of tomb raiding. there simply wasn't time to put all of this goodness into Legend. (unfortunately in some respects) Legend really was a demo. TRA was useful because it put CD's finger on the pulse of what raiders previously liked about the game, ... and now raiders of all kinds are going to lose their socks when Lara gets back on top ...

... this time its going to be different!

Please do not make excuses for Legend by referring it to it as a demo or claiming there wasn't enough time. I paid fifty bucks for that game. At that price, either theory just pisses me off. They had all the time in the world to make Legend because there were no time expectations as the series was "dead." Any new game was gravy, and based on the number of "I hope they don't rush it like AOD" comments (comments that still appear with any new game), the only pressure time-wise to release the game was self-inflicted.

And if they thought it was OK to charge me full price for a demo, they were wrong. **** Please don't put about the idea that Eidos decided it was OK to cheat on the length or quality and charge me fifty bucks for the pleasure of testing their product. They better have believed that they had a finished game worth fifty bucks. Otherwise, I feel rather taken advantage of (and taken for granted.)

Mangar The Dark
1st Feb 2008, 14:33
I wouldn't consider Legend a demo... it was an extremely fun game. Too short, yes, but definitely fun while it lasted.

Of course, I wouldn't pay $50 for it. I never pay full price for games anymore, because I've been burned more than once, and also because $50 is just an absurd amount of money to spend on a video game.
As for deciding how much you want to spend on a game, you really have to read the reviews in magazine and the comments on this board, as they'll usually give you a good idea about certain aspects of the game, and then you can judge for yourself about whether or not the game will be something you'll enjoy. Of course, you can't rely on everyone's opinion about how good something is (people's tastes differ), but if you see 9 out of 10 people saying it's too short or linear, then odds are, it's too short or linear, and if those are aspects of a game that bother you, then wait until you can get the game for cheap, or just rent it.

I'll do the same thing for TRU. I'll read the reviews, and while I won't let a single reviewers like or dislike of the game sway me completely, I'll take into account what it is that he/she likes/dislikes about it, and then I'll decide about if/when to get the game. $50 is too much to spend on ANY game, as far as I'm concerned, but $20 is doable if the game is really good.

Tomb-Dude
1st Feb 2008, 18:43
This is a pretty good link http://www.planetlara.com/underworld/article0009a.asp

Joshorty
1st Feb 2008, 20:53
Whoops I could have sworn I did not see this thread before making one my bad:D

And yes she's looking awesome...

rabid metro
2nd Feb 2008, 03:16
...They better have believed that they had a finished game worth fifty bucks. Otherwise, I feel rather taken advantage of (and taken for granted.)

I wouldn't consider Legend a demo... it was an extremely fun game...

Legend did not have infinite development time ... and that's an old story not worth re-hashing here.
Legend was a fully formed game that was intentionally cut short, in part, to insure that it was as good as it could (under the circumstances).
For the overly literal, Legend was not a demo ... it will only seem like a demo compared to the TRU goodness.
The dev cycle for Legend was around 2 years. The dev cycle for TRU could well surpass 4 years~ that's why it will be exponentially better ...

unsolicited advice:
never torment yourself, there's so many other people willing to do that for you ...

LisaB1962
2nd Feb 2008, 15:09
Legend did not have infinite development time ... and that's an old story not worth re-hashing here.
Legend was a fully formed game that was intentionally cut short, in part, to insure that it was as good as it could (under the circumstances).
For the overly literal, Legend was not a demo ... it will only seem like a demo compared to the TRU goodness.
The dev cycle for Legend was around 2 years. The dev cycle for TRU could well surpass 4 years~ that's why it will be exponentially better ...

unsolicited advice:
never torment yourself, there's so many other people willing to do that for you ...

Again, any time constraints were self-inflicted. Just don't make excuses for Legend like there weren't any other options or that newer products will make my fifty dollars suddenly seem well spent. I didn't buy shares of Eidos or CD; I bought a new video game that wasn't worth fifty bucks. If I bought a fifty dollar shirt that fell apart the first time I washed it, I wouldn't take a look a the new product thinking "well, at least my fifty dollars helped them get the kinks worked out." :whistle:

Each game has to be judged on its own merits, not what was done in the past (which is why AOD is atrocious) or what might be done in the future.

So be excited about Underworld, but don't think Underworld makes Legend worth fifty bucks.

Tomb-Dude
2nd Feb 2008, 17:10
If it wasn't for Legend Tomb Raider would not of come back.

You may not like it but think if CD never created Legend would Tomb Raider of come back???

It may be short but it is also sweet, loved the game and i still play it even now after nearly two years and i still get the thrills i got the first time i played it.

Underworld... Well that seems like a complete different story, it look Amazing, sounds amazing... I just can't wait for more information, screenshots and movies.

Apperently the next review is in April ;) can't wait for that.

rabid metro
3rd Feb 2008, 04:13
...So be excited about Underworld, but don't think Underworld makes Legend worth fifty bucks...

i'm not trying to justify any price points for any games. i never mentioned price nor do i particularly care. feel however you want to about whatever you want to. me saying that Underworld will make Legend seem like a demo should not invoke such ... passion. it seems misdirected, somehow ... i sincerely hope that your decision to buy Legend didn't lead to you sacrificing something else that was more dear to you ...
:cool: :confused: