PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE no PREquel!

Falkenherz
28th Jan 2008, 13:58
Two points about this:

1. Remeber the Star Wars Prequels *shudder*

2. I played Deus Ex:IW, and although everybody tells me that Deus Ex I was better, I find I cannot go "back in time" and experience something of which I know the outcome already. I think you would loose at least some potential players by just placing a prequel instead of a sequel.

Please, dear developers, do not decide to do a prequel!

gamer0004
28th Jan 2008, 14:16
Why would you know the outcome? You would still be able to make your own decisions. Not everything you'd be able to do in a prequel would affect the story of DX1.
I don't really care whether it's a prequel or a sequel, as long as the story and the gameplay are right and the game isn't too sci-fi.

jd10013
28th Jan 2008, 15:02
I think a prequel could work. there was a lot going on up to the start of the game. The game represented the last 2 minutes before the collapse of society. before then, there was a whole lot going on with UNATCO, MJ12, silhouette and so forth.

CodenameD
28th Jan 2008, 16:34
If Warren had been behind DE3, wonder if he would have liked this idea of a prequel

Personally, I really don't know what Eidos Montreal is planning:scratch: . A Prequel won't be that awful if it don't flaw like DE:IW did. However I expected Eidos to make the 3rd adventure based on either of the two DE1 endings (Illuminati/New Dark Age);

Somehow I'm not that happy or xcited on hearing 'bout the relese announcement of DE3:( , like I was when DE:IW was announced by Eidos back in 2003. I might have been xcited if DE3 would be based on the Dark age ending though.

(Still I didn't like the over futuristic backdrop of DE:IW. Maybe having a prequel won't include teleporters which, I doubt will be anywhere around the 2070s.

jd10013
28th Jan 2008, 17:29
just read the DX bible and you'll see how much material there would be to work with for a prequel.

AI Prototype
29th Jan 2008, 03:51
Two points about this:

2. I played Deus Ex:IW, and although everybody tells me that Deus Ex I was better, I find I cannot go "back in time" and experience something of which I know the outcome already. I think you would loose at least some potential players by just placing a prequel instead of a sequel.

That's why we can be thankful George Lucas isn't producing Deus Ex 3.

Obviously it looks like it's going to be a prequel based on the teaser trailer. A sequel to Invisible War would be horrid. That game was already pitched so far into the future that it was hard to relate to. It felt like an alien world, where as Deus Ex felt like home. IW's storyline became too convoluted.

A sequel to Deus Ex and prequel to Invisible War would be interesting.. I agree with CodenameD that the dark age would be the most interesting potential DX ending to explore, although obviously all three endings mesh together quite well.

A prequel could be fantastic though. I share your reservations about a prequel in the sense that knowledge of what happens in Deus Ex and Invisible War could harm the game, but that might not be inevitable. For example if the plot was less epic than Deus Ex's scope, there wouldn't be a problem. Maybe epic is the wrong word - a prequel would have to forego far-reaching, global implications.

PS. Wait.. are you saying you haven't played Deus Ex, Falkenherz?

RedFeather1975
29th Jan 2008, 04:12
Yeah, he played the second game first and didn't see any point in playing the first game.
I played the 2nd game first as well. I had just gotten my first computer.

Then I found on old copy of the first game floating around and although it was cool, I wasn't terribly motivated near the ending as I already knew what would happen.
Also could be the fact that I already knew a lot about the first game before I'd grabbed a copy.

As for the Star Wars movies. I couldn't care less about the first 3 when they were released. They were just filler leading up to the original as far as I felt.

Falkenherz
29th Jan 2008, 11:21
It is not only that I don´t like prequels, it is also that I am not content with the endings of IW. They are so open and also misleading. They could happen, but need not necessarily happen so. I am so curious of what would happen next. And I would feel cheated if there was only a prequel.

Yeah, I have about o motivation to play the prequel, although after reading lots of recommonendations, who knows. I haven´t played Planescape: Torment, as well, and with both games I start to get the feeling I should perhaps...

Nevertheless, a prequel demotivates some people, and this is an unnecessary sales obstacle. There´s still plenty of stuff to explore in a sequel... pls refer to my other thread about the possible settings in a sequel.

Tracer Tong
29th Jan 2008, 13:36
I didn't see anything that I didn't like in the 1-3 SW movies....

I don't like your way of thinking. A prequel would be great. I would rather ignore what happened in DX:IW (and the issue of combining 4 different endings AGAIN)... Plus, the prequel has its own philosophical depth to it (read the 3 philo-threads)

AI Prototype
29th Jan 2008, 19:21
Yeah, I have about o motivation to play the prequel, although after reading lots of recommonendations, who knows. I haven´t played Planescape: Torment, as well, and with both games I start to get the feeling I should perhaps...

Let's not refer to Deus Ex as a "prequel." It was first and greatest. It's unfortunate that Invisible War ruined the experience for you because Deus Ex is the single greatest game that has ever been conceived. Community interest in Deus Ex is about a hundred times greater than Invisible War, and that's what we're concerned about DX3 tying into. Invisible War, although adequate, is not the compelling property that is inspiring another group of developers to make the third game.

A prequel would be great. I would rather ignore what happened in DX:IW (and the issue of combining 4 different endings AGAIN)...

I myself don't even really consider Invisible War to be canon. Invisible War was like a game of its own that just happened to have a couple Deus Ex characters in it. I don't care what the IW writer thinks; Chad Dumier and Nicolette DuClaire do not lead the Illuminati. JC and Paul's schemes were also a blatant perversion of their Jeffersonian politics of the first game. I don't like it.

Back to Falkenherz though: it's probably impossible for you to get out of Deus Ex what the rest of us did, but what you need to do is completely ignore Invisible War. IW is the Star Wars prequels of this franchise, it's the iteration that many fans ignore completely.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that 99% percent of Deus Ex fans are more into the first game than the second. So it's the first game we want to see expanded with this next Deus Ex. (There are ways for Eidos to achieve that even placing it after IW's timeline) Whereas you, Mr. Falkenherz are more in love with Invisible War, it makes sense that you would rather the third game tie into the second more than the first.

jd10013
29th Jan 2008, 20:26
only a prequel.

Yeah, I have about o motivation to play the prequel, although after reading lots of recommendations, who knows.

OMG. you haven't played DX? why are you depriving yourself of such a good game? IW ain't bad. but on a scale of 1-10 IW would be a 4 and DX would be a 9.5. and It only looses the .5 for AI and graphics.

Nevertheless, a prequel demotivates some people, and this is an unnecessary sales obstacle. There´s still plenty of stuff to explore in a sequel... pls refer to my other thread about the possible settings in a sequel.

As I said before, got to http://archive.gamespy.com/articles/april02/dxbible/ and read the bible. There is soooooooo much material for a prequel. heck, they could make 5 prequels off that stuff.

O.m.a.r
29th Jan 2008, 21:54
Personally I thought that both games were pretty good. I played Deus Ex:IW first, and then Deus Ex: The Conspiracy. I found The first Deus Ex better then the sequel, but i did however find IW futuristic features more a appealing too me. I believe that a sequel to IW wouldn’t be that bad, as long as game as more characteristics like the first Deus Ex.

P.S. More Biomod canisters and ammo would be nice. :)

Inane Mythos
29th Jan 2008, 22:42
Hm. I agree with what others are saying about Deus Ex flying too far forward in the time-line. Deus Ex is, at heart, a dystopian Cyberpunk game. IW flew into the realm of Sci-fi (Even tho there was a collapse? :scratch: ) and if there were to be a sequel then the only way of making it would be to make it even more Sci fi, which is tearing away from the original concept.

In my honest opinion, a prequel really would be the only way to go. It'd offer a new perspective on the world, different and more interesting factions and more importantly a (plausible and good) *story.

*IW did not have a story. It was more of a series of events

jd10013
29th Jan 2008, 22:45
Personally I thought that both games were pretty good.

They both were. DX was just, I don't know, special. I had never before, nor never since, played a game quite like it. I fully believe IW would have been considered a better game than it was if it didn't have the misfortune of being compared to DX.

Zegano
29th Jan 2008, 23:34
I really don't think a prequel could work and be what we would call a 'true' DX game. All the history is there, yes, but Paul was the first nano augmented agent. Unless you base the game on him, which is an unpopular choice I gather (although I don't really mind), you would have to be mechanically augmented. In DX you just blend into the crowd and no one realizes that you're augmented. If you're a mech then the immediate reactions of NPCs isn't going to be very good at all.

Also, DX is about making decisions. A prequel has all that history there, but it was primarily about making choices. How great will your decisions be if they must lead to the events of DX1?

While I'm not saying that a prequel would suck as a game, it would probably be like IW when it comes to fans: we'll complain about everything we love being changed.

Falkenherz
30th Jan 2008, 08:31
If it is all about freedom of decicion, I would feel very limited in a prequel. The only way to do it would be on a very personal level. But both DE were about epic world magnitude. I don´t think a prequel could come up to this scale, since it has to leave the magnitude to the plot which is already done in the first two DE. Only a sequal would be totally free for new epic events.

gamer0004
30th Jan 2008, 19:21
I would like the idea of being mechanically augmented and then discriminated by stupid people :nut:
But why would your actions lead to DX1? Let's say we are going to be Gunther, what decision he makes would affect the outcome of the prequel in such a way that it is predictable because you know how the world looks like in DX?

Zegano
30th Jan 2008, 21:23
If you played as Gunther I doubt that you would make any decisions that would be as grand as in DX and IW. But I guess that multiple endings where only one ending leds to DX would work. Maybe if you decided not to reveal some shocking truth to the world and so every one was able to go about they're daily routines.

AaronJ
31st Jan 2008, 18:29
I agree with the original poster completely. A Deus Ex prequel would be awful.

v.dog
31st Jan 2008, 21:43
Why? You can't say a DX prequel would be horrible because the SW ones were.

As for knowing the outcome in the subsequent games; there's a lot more going on in the universe than even JC knows about.

Angel/0A
31st Jan 2008, 22:16

No offense, but you must not like studying history much either then.

jd10013
31st Jan 2008, 22:43
Why? You can't say a DX prequel would be horrible because the SW ones were.

As for knowing the outcome in the subsequent games; there's a lot more going on in the universe than even JC knows about.

exactly. the back story involves so much conspiracy over so much of the world. DX represents the last 10 minutes of a 50-60 yr series of events.

Anaztazioch
1st Feb 2008, 08:52
Just what a sequel is, if DX and DX:IV, DX ended when you blow up Bob, merged with Helios or Gave world to Ilumanati.

Now DX:IV has also severall endings. Ilumanati, Denton and Helios, Omars, Templars. Whitch one do you think will continue ?

You cant make a sequel to a game that doesnt have a single ending. Its just not a sequel to those that finished the game in differant way.

I want it NOT TO BE A GAME FOR EVERYONE.
I dont want DX3 to be a run and spray, as there are many people that like simple shooter FPS's.
I dont want a MMO, as you cant make a good story line to MMO, as it requires "freedom".
I dont want a "freedom" to mindlessly walk the created world, doing nothing but killing wild boars for 2 xp, so after 14 weeks i am 99 lvl Paladin.
I dont want it to suck with DirectX10 and 5000$ PC required.
I want it to be rated 20 years old or older, as DX cannot be understood by a kid.

Falkenherz
1st Feb 2008, 10:07
You can have a totally free sequel, independent from the ending cutscenes of IW when you assume that the Aquinas node breaks down after some time for a completely unknown reason. Each faction will have to chance, like the fractions did from DX to IW.

Xcom
1st Feb 2008, 11:48
You cant make a sequel to a game that doesnt have a single ending. Its just not a sequel to those that finished the game in differant way.

Why can't they just pick one and go from there?

Btw, I think most people have played through all endings anyway.

O.m.a.r
1st Feb 2008, 13:18
I want it to be rated 20 years old or older, as DX cannot be understood by a kid.[/QUOTE]

Just because someone is young it doesnt mean they dont understand Deus Ex.****

AaronJ
1st Feb 2008, 14:58
I agree. They probably want to do a prequel because it wouldn't involve IW. But there was nothing wrong with IW's storyline.

Is Eidos making another mistake?

gamer0004
1st Feb 2008, 18:34
No. We don't know whether it's a prequel and if it is it's going to be great anyway.

AaronJ
1st Feb 2008, 18:52
Oh wow, see the post I just made.

jd10013
2nd Feb 2008, 00:34
I agree. They probably want to do a prequel because it wouldn't involve IW. But there was nothing wrong with IW's storyline.

Is Eidos making another mistake?

the storyline was alright, but the part about the order church and the illuminati being the same was predictable, and kind of lame to me.

Again, like all other things with IW it wasn't bad on its own, just shallow compared to the original.

El_Bel
2nd Feb 2008, 12:29
I want it NOT TO BE A GAME FOR EVERYONE.
I dont want DX3 to be a run and spray, as there are many people that like simple shooter FPS's.
I dont want a MMO, as you cant make a good story line to MMO, as it requires "freedom".
I dont want a "freedom" to mindlessly walk the created world, doing nothing but killing wild boars for 2 xp, so after 14 weeks i am 99 lvl Paladin.
I dont want it to suck with DirectX10 and 5000$ PC required.
I want it to be rated 20 years old or older, as DX cannot be understood by a kid.

Amen

Falkenherz
4th Feb 2008, 09:03
A Prequel before DeusEx I would make no sense, since the technology has to be developed and this started with DeusEx I.

A Prequel between DeusEx I and IW would make sense, but this would be no new game but should have been an expansion to the old one.

A Prequel would only make sense for the fans of the old games. New players care **** and would call it cheap recycling.

Only a Sequel with a new storyline and the possibility of open endings which no one can guess would make for a trúe new game.

tanonx
4th Feb 2008, 17:07

Malcontent is thrown in your general direction by me! Also, why're you paying 5k in USD for a computer? I mean, really, only a prototype system of some kind could warrent that... Unless you're buying the brand name, of course.

Really, just pretending IW didn't exist would work well, and there's a lot of room for mechanics changes in between the two even if they leave IW in the game. With IW's disregard of a mish-mash for the original three endings, I see a very varied playing zone, for mechanics, story...

gamer0004
4th Feb 2008, 19:18
You can buy a 25000 € Mac at the apple website :P

Zegano
5th Feb 2008, 07:17
I just read an analysis of the trailer which said that one of the pictures was of Jesus being tended to after being taken down from the cross. But I have also read else where that the picture was called "Lament for Icarus," which made more sense since Jesus didn't have wings on earth. Therefore if a lament for Icarus is mentioned, then wouldn't that mean that this game is at least set after Deus Ex 1? Its not conclusive, but we advocates of a sequel have to beat that ballot box somehow :mad2: :rasp:

Edit: It WAS Icarus, I took a second look and his wings have straps for him to flap them with his hands. In case anyone doesn't know the story, Daedalus was the guy who built the Minotaurs labyrinth. He and his son Icarus were imprisoned because they knew its secret. They escaped by making wax wings and covering them with birds feathers, so they could fly over the ocean, but Icarus flew too close to the sun and his wings melted.

Boiny Bunny
7th Feb 2008, 04:42
Yes that's right about Icarus. So...a picture of Icarus might imply that Icarus might be in the game...yes?

Not Helios. Icarus. As in, before Helios happend - before Deus Ex happened. Prequel.

IW was a complete flop and so much of a letdown from the first game that I adamantly refuse to get my hopes up even remotely high for this game.

All I can say to the devs is, go back to DX1. Scrap IW and EVERYTHING that happened in it. Don't acknowledge ANYTHING or ANYBODY in that game.

The best way to do it is a prequel. Probably playing as the only one of the Denton brothers who's story remains untold - Paul.

Zegano
9th Feb 2008, 00:43
Yes that's right about Icarus. So...a picture of Icarus might imply that Icarus might be in the game...yes?

Not Helios. Icarus. As in, before Helios happened - before Deus Ex happened. Prequel.

Lament for Icarus. As in after Icarus' Death. Nay say all you want, I'm quite convinced that a sequel is possible. Also Icarus is part of Helios now, just like JC. Perhaps a lament for JC becoming the abomination he was in IW:rasp:

WildcatPhoenix
9th Feb 2008, 00:58
Am I the only one who thinks we are seriously over-analyzing the images in that trailer? I mean, I understand that the teaser is all we have to go on at the moment, but I highly doubt every single one of these images was a super-subtle hint at the plot of DX3.

Just my two cents. :whistle:

-Wildcat

Zegano
9th Feb 2008, 01:46
We are going overboard with the analysis. But with so little information available, I think that our creativity is going to be very interesting, as everyone will come up with something different. Also, I still have a couple of days before I go back to high school, so this helps keeps me occupied until then:D

g8kpr
16th Feb 2008, 18:00
If it were a prequel there may not be a J.C. Denton (at least not as we know him)

Lo Bruto
17th Feb 2008, 01:53
Get over it... DX3 probably is a try to revive a now dead franchise... And they need to Sell well to do this... So the game will be pointed toward a wider audience...

I would like to see a to-fans game, even got excited after hearing the original theme in the teaser... but I'm pretty sure it won't happen...

JoeGreensKiller
19th Feb 2008, 21:59
Well I have to agree with some of what Anaztazioch posted. DX has a fan base, and we all no its not for everyone I think spicific ppl really delv into it such as myself..reading the lit, news papers, etc. I still hold firm to if a third was to be made, it should begin where what ever ending was choosen in the first left off. Mind you a prequal could be good, but why such the wait? (Like FREDDY VS JASON...great idea but 12 yrs to late lol), and only the true DX fans are going to buy this....granted there will be kids who will think the "Cover" looks "cool" gotta have it. I see nothing but true fans here, who have been playing since its release, and glad im reading fears of a third, and as annoying as it is to read pretty much the same thing i.e....ANYTHING BUT ANOTHER I.W. Its also a good thing because you can bet MONTREAL is stearing clear of another I.W, and still say a totally revamped DX one would be kick ass, and sell.

gamer0004
20th Feb 2008, 13:42
A totally revamped wouldn't work and I sure woulnd't buy it.
Anyway, if the box looks cool people will consider it and look for reviews. DX is DX, so it will get good reviews. And people will buy the game. They won't sell as much copies as an overly hyped game as Assasin's Creed, but still a fair amount of money. It's no use to hype this game anyway, because the graphics and action simply don't suffice for that.

JoeGreensKiller
20th Feb 2008, 20:04
I dunno HDTP seems to be a pretty intisapated, and very cool looking project, and seems to be working just fine, besides dont you think they would have to do a little revamping if the made DX for PS3, or Xbox?....DX on the 360 would be pretty cool, ya ya I know "console retart etc lol"...well strap a hockey helmet on me, and give me a bib, and a controller lol

Lo Bruto
21st Feb 2008, 00:09
I always thought of a Remake of DX1 but expanded.
Staying with UNATCO... or something like that...

And IMO, a prequel is way better than a Sequel... DX universe turned into a over-Colorful dystopia in IW... and this would worse into 2080's or 2090's... Way too futuristic...

rokstrombo
21st Feb 2008, 04:26
IMO IW didn't give the player long enough to explore the consequences of the events in the first game. I think a sequel would need to go back and fill in some of the details. I was hoping that the social, political and technological issues would be expanded in IW, but instead we got a rushed plot involving aliens and JC Denton. A lot of the mythology and conspiracies of the first game were dropped, and the new factions didn't seem to have much of a history.

I would like to see a sequel if only to resolve some of the shortcomings of IW. There has to be more to the world than naive, downtrodden NPCs and militant factions. Perhaps there were other groups who could involve the protagonist in richer ways...

kenx
21st Feb 2008, 23:27
For me the best will be DX 2.1 just forget about DX IW

IcarusIsLookingForYou
3rd Mar 2008, 22:29
Seriously, we all have to stop analyzing the trailer like it's the Zapruder film of the JFK assassination. "Notice how the fetus's head moves back... and to the left..." Prequel, sequel... it doesn't really matter. The DX universe has so much potential that either route has great possibilities. I actually kind of like the presentation of a world that is just on the cusp of great technological breakthroughs, like that of DX, over the highly futuristic feel of the world in IW.

IceBallz
22nd Mar 2008, 15:16
Huh ?!? What you talking about ?!? :confused:

IcarusIsLookingForYou
22nd Mar 2008, 17:49
Huh ?!? What you talking about ?!? :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkXCE8CkNZU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD4xq7HpW-k

These are a couple of videos GlobalNode made, analyzing the DX3 trailer.

Ever watch the film, JFK? There's a scene where Kevin Costner's character heavily analyzes the Zapruder film of the Kennedy assassination, repeating over and over again how Kennedy's head moves "back and to the left" after he's been shot.

I was just making a joke about how we're all acting like crazed conspiracy nuts, trying to find clues about the next DX in the most absolutely mundane things. Honestly, I think a lot of the connections people are making only manifest themselves because they want those connections to be in DX3.

IceBallz
23rd Mar 2008, 01:53

Ever watch the film, JFK? There's a scene where Kevin Costner's character heavily analyzes the Zapruder film of the Kennedy assassination, repeating over and over again how Kennedy's head moves "back and to the left" after he's been shot.

I was just making a joke about how we're all acting like crazed conspiracy nuts, trying to find clues about the next DX in the most absolutely mundane things. Honestly, I think a lot of the connections people are making only manifest themselves because they want those connections to be in DX3.

That would be really nice. Real life conspiracies in Deus Ex 3. Wow !!!

Kevyne-Shandris
24th Mar 2008, 11:11
A Prequel before DeusEx I would make no sense, since the technology has to be developed and this started with DeusEx I.

Actually, it would make sense. I would like to know more about Paul and JC's parents and how they were picked as the "perfect" couple for the aug/clone experiment, and how Walter Simmons and all murderered them. How JC became aware of his destiny, and why he was so troubled, where Paul seemed to have weathered the bumps better.

There's plenty of canon material to work upon -- and it'll take place in a world players can relate, too.

Part of me would like the scenery seen in F.E.A.R. (the buildings/garage/rooftops especially) would be included in DX3. That game, although horror based, had some of the loathing feeling I felt in DX, complete with run down buildings and a chaotic nuke ending.

Miss f-e-e-l-i-n-g in games. Not being led as quickly as possible through overtly linear levels, with no time to enjoy the soundtrack, explore and find hidden goodies.

c37579
25th Mar 2008, 22:07

i think that DX3 will have little to do with the clips, they just released it to get some ideas and laugh at us trying to figure it out from such small amounts of information

for all we know the images could just be in a magazine in DX:3

youll be walking along when you spot a newspaper, you click to get a little back informations and then

"design a picture competition!

C250 to the person who designs the craziest picture to do with nanotechnology or anatomy!"

and suddenly all the pictures in the teaser will make sense

Vasarto
2nd Apr 2008, 22:21
Why would you know the outcome? You would still be able to make your own decisions. Not everything you'd be able to do in a prequel would affect the story of DX1.
I don't really care whether it's a prequel or a sequel, as long as the story and the gameplay are right and the game isn't too sci-fi.

I am vasarto and I approve that message.

auric
3rd Apr 2008, 03:48
Two points about this:

Please, dear developers, do not decide to do a prequel!

Hi,
personally, I prefer a prequel than a sequel, because DX 2 have brought us into an unknown & odd world, IMO.

It all look like pieces are being thrown in without much thought of how the world would look & feel like. the prequel will bring back all the familiar feelings of the real world, a sequel will need a lot of work before it'll feel real again.

One thing I'm glad though, is that they are making for PC first & not consoles. :D
personally I believe that's why DX2 feels so out of it, cause they have to cut out many features to make it work for consoles.

Every game that starts off with consoles, always have nice features being cut out. I haven't tried Splinter Cell: Double Agent yet, but people say the same thing, but at least its not as much as DX2.

I seriously hope, we don't have bouncing bodies/penguins again, lol
and bodies don't remain intact when there's an explosion right under their feet.

I'm only worried about what kind of augmentation this 'prequel' have, are we playing a failed prototype or something?
or the old type of augmentation or a non-aug person, :o
But personally that's not important to me, what I like about Deus Ex is the freedom of choice & non-violence approach.
DX 2, feels like a shoot them up, too slipery for a sneak up.

Blade_hunter
6th Apr 2008, 16:10
Hum we can made an alternate game to DX IW tis wille be a sequel of DX 1 but is an alternate story / events /(maybe gameplay I hope)
or a more advanced story with more links with DX 1 than DX 2 ....

rhalibus
6th Apr 2008, 20:47
I think a prequel could completely work, based on the strength and detail of the DX bible. There are many stories to tell and places to visit...

Stapledon
6th Apr 2008, 22:56
Although I think that as a group we are definitely overanalyzing the trailer I think overanalysis and OP'ing is the best way to pass the time until we find out more concrete information about DX 3, plus I'm a the kind of opinionated windbag who likes to spout his opinion online so overanalysis is kind of my forte.

My opinion on the prequel/sequel debate is this. I think that DX 2 was a satisfactory sequel and on it's own it was an alright game, but it really felt like it should have been the third in a series. In my opinion they went too far ahead with the emerging technology/societal collapse theme and made the setting nearly unrecognizable. I would love it if DX 3 was set between the two games, and that way was both a prequel (to DX2) and a sequel (to DX1). I think there is a lot of room for new and original exciting stories after the collapse, and it would be interesting to see how the setting changed from DX1 into DX2. Although setting the game during the Collapse may seem boring, I don't think the collapse was intended to be a Mad Max/Waterworld style apocalypse, but more like a Westward Expansion/Civil War-type period of turbulence and change. Does that make sense? I mean, even though the Aquinas protocol went down that doesn't mean that the technology of computer networking was completely lost. It just means that networks had to be smaller and more local like in the late-eighties/early nineties (which would be a big step back for 2052, but not as much for us).

Also, because the setting of DX 2 was (I feel) less defined, a game set in between the two could still have multiple world-altering endings and stay Canon (although personally I don't think DX2 should stay canon, I know that for a lot of people it was their first entry into the series and as long as I get a fun game with an interesting storyline I'm not going to ***** about it).

But think about it. A game set in between the two could cover the rise of the WTO and The Order, the establishment of the new world communications network (which I'm sure AI's could have had a hand in), the Luminous Path could try to maintain the city-state style order (or lack thereof), or whatever. My point is there is still a ton of fun stuff to do and think about between the games without alienating DX 2 fans and without trying to reconcile the multiple DX 2 endings (which would be mind-boggling, although I suppose they could just reconfigure their nanomagical teleporter into a universe traveling time machine/phone booth and travel between the alternate universes fighting talking trash-cans that yell alot).

Also, I think a prequel to the original DX would be boring, if only because everything that led up to DX is more or less covered in the continuity bible which I think most would rather not see invalidated, and although I'm sure Paul got up to some righteous shenanigans before JC was untubed I don't think they were as world-shatteringly philosophical and explodey enough to merit an entire DX game. Of course I'm sure there are plenty of DX2 fans who feel the same way about a DX2 prequel, but I don't think that there is quite as much material covering that time period, correct me if I'm wrong.

Sorry for the long post, but like I said, opinionated windbag.

IceBallz
11th Apr 2008, 07:52
How about ? Just forget whole exist of DX:IW and go for freshing up our minds from that piece of crap. We can start over again from, where Deus Ex 1 ended and from there go for whole new DX-series. Like i see, DX:IW was so much of big disaster to whole DX-series, so it can't be fixed into any part of the story of DX. It must just been forgotten and burned up. Just my thought.
DX1 should be free for download from Eidos homepage and been fixed to work in Windows XP, Windows Vista and Dual Core's. Then people could start to download DX1 for free and go from there to DX2, that would be DX3...

minus0ne
11th Apr 2008, 13:34
How about ? Just forget whole exist of DX:IW and go for freshing up our minds from that piece of crap. We can start over again from, where Deus Ex 1 ended and from there go for whole new DX-series. Like i see, DX:IW was so much of big disaster to whole DX-series, so it can't be fixed into any part of the story of DX. It must just been forgotten and burned up. Just my thought.
It can and does fit in DX canon and for better or worse, DX3 shouldn't be a DX2 remake.

DX1 should be free for download from Eidos homepage and been fixed to work in Windows XP, Windows Vista and Dual Core's. Then people could start to download DX1 for free and go from there to DX2, that would be DX3...
DX can be bought for next to nothing anyway, and it works perfectly in XP and with dual cores (don't know about Vista as I haven't and won't buy that piece of crap, but XP + dualcore works fine, though you may have to set DX's affinity to a single core).

Blade_hunter
12th Apr 2008, 18:53
I don't want a DX 2 remake ....
Just something can ignore some things of DX 2 like the gameplay

Descendant of the Dentons
15th Apr 2008, 00:07
Everybody has stated their opinions on where to go for the sequel and how wrong it would be to do a prequel. I agree in the case of no prequel because we know the ending will have to be scripted in some way to go along with the first two games.

I'm agreement with a sequel, however I must make one condition - IT HAS TO BE AFTER THE EVENTS OF INVISIBLE WAR!

I know nearly a lot of people hated Invisible War and I can see their sides. I have played the first and second DX games and honestly, I really enjoy the both of them! Invisible War gave us four endings which was great, but each ending had a little something that no one would have wanted, just like the first game did which really added to the games. The only main complaint I have against Invisible War, and I know nearly everyone will agree, is the game was too short in contrast to the original.

The events of IW came after the Dark Age and Helios ending of the first DX. In my opinion, in order to continue the game, we have to have to use either the Illuminati ending or the ApostleCorp ending from Invisible War. Having the Renegade ending means the end of the world and it being a wasteland. Using the Templar ending, all biomodded people who survived the "purge" of the Templar ending are being hunted and executed still. And above all, a Denton must remain, be it JC, Paul, or Alex! I don't honestly know how to continue the game if we don't have a Denton or play as a Denton. The Denton legacy has to live on some how. That's all I have to say.

Other than that, Eidos Montreal knows how high the pressure is, so let's try not to add more to them.****

I am disappointed that Warren Spector and Harvey Smith won't be involved in the development, but it would be nice to contract Alexander Brandon to compose the music again, even though he is with Midway Games back in my home city of San Diego (lucky bastard!).

Deus Ex, Shadowrun, and Neocron to me are examples of Cyberpunk and that's a genre that needs to live on.

Here's hoping!

pHdeus
26th Apr 2008, 18:10
I actually really enjoyed Deus Ex IW, which may put me in the minority. That said, I also very much like Deus EX 1.

So how does one get out of this dilemma?

As a possible plot:
What if JC Denton woke up from a dream, which happened to be Deus Ex IW. Then the writers could invent an alternative future with the same history, and with JC Denton as the primary character as well.****

Necros
27th Apr 2008, 09:30
That game was already pitched so far into the future that it was hard to relate to. It felt like an alien world, where as Deus Ex felt like home.
I didn't feel like that at all and I'd like to a sequel to DX: IW's story some day. Though I'd prefer that put not so long after the end of the game (a few years max).

About DX3 as a prequel, it could work, we'll see what EM comes up with. But I'm not sure if it's really gonna be a prequel or if it will be set during The Collapse, or it could be something else. The first concept art does suggest a prequel though. :scratch:

Blade_hunter
27th Apr 2008, 12:56
Hum when I sew some mods most of them are prequels or alternate story ....

GioChrono
7th Jun 2008, 14:29
As long as they do Deus Ex justice then it doesn't matter to me whether it's a prequel or a sequel. When I first heard the notion that it was a prequel, I was initially a little confused as to whether that's a goo thing, but I have grown to like the idea. Not that it has been confirmed however.

It is being created by a new Dev team and so that's possibly a concern although there is the fact that as there first game for the Montreal branch, there future depends on the success of the game so I would like to think that they would be trying there damndest to make it right.

I wouldn't even mind a remake of the original, with updated graphics and physics, I think alot of people would go for it, I know I would.
Still waiting on the mod community to complete the various 'upgrade packs' so I can go back and play deus ex 1 again.

As for Prequel timeline, it interests me as it will possibly be closer to the setting of my webcomic The Talos Project (http://www.thetalosproject.com) which is set a few decades into the future although I'm not saying the exact year yet.

Too far into the future and you start to get lost as you can associate with what's going on, although going back before Deus Ex 1 too far and you will be without a lot of the tech that we got used to having in the original.

I hope it's good. I will prob get it anyway but still.
It's early days yet.

Gio

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee235/Giochrono/Talos_anim_Banner.gif (http://www.thetalosproject.com)

jordan_a
7th Jun 2008, 15:00
Can a prequel to DX be made without its founding father(s)? I don't think so or it would be so difficult that it would imply the participation of WS.

AaronJ
7th Jun 2008, 17:16
Good point. I'm glad people are still on my side. No. Prequel.

Fen
7th Jun 2008, 19:57
I think the prequel would be a better way to go. The true first prototype. The player could have both mech augs and nano augs. The nano augs being protoypes. The mech augs being well established and black market augs.

You could meet up with Paul, but for some consipiricy reason, Paul would be unable to mention you to JC.

What I want is to keep the modern feel that DX1 had. DX2 was WAY to futurisic and I dont think there is any point to keep moving in that direction.

jordan_a
7th Jun 2008, 20:20
I think the prequel would be a better way to go. The true first prototype. The player could have both mech augs and nano augs. The nano augs being protoypes. The mech augs being well established and black market augs.These are statements that can't be assessed, it's gibberish.

Moreover, I don't see any reason why a sequel would not allow us to meet Paul or play in modern areas... And since when is IW too futuristic? Cairo, Trier, down Seattle: is that what you call futuristic?? :scratch:

A prequel would be too ambitious for a first game UNLESS WSpector participates but I gather he's busy enough.

Mactypetim
8th Jun 2008, 06:35
You have to admit the the play of IW was much different from DX1, and a lot of that was probably because it was rushed. Also, I think the description for IW you are looking for is "sterile", not "futuristic". IW may have had a related story, but the way it was done had nothing to do with DX 1.

Coffee wars? Give me a break!

auric
8th Jun 2008, 09:08
I think the description for IW you are looking for is "sterile", not "futuristic".

Some says that is the future. :D

there are numerous films about the future being sterile.
(Black & white, drones, even literally sterile that they can't give birth.)

jcp28
8th Jun 2008, 16:19
No one can really say for sure at this point, even though it seems to kind of lean towards a prequel. So we should just sit back and see what happens. But I get nauseated when I think about trying to cobble together an ending that might include the Omar and Templar Endings. Since they either turn DX into a techno-wasteland or a place with backwards technology, Eidos Montreal would have to be careful with that. I guess a sequel could b made with a reduced technology level, but I'd assume nanoaug stuff would be pretty much the same.

Jordan_a, prequels always seem ambitious but the team might try it anyways. Yeah, it could crash and burn, but I don't necessarily think a sequel could be any better, other than the devs can put slightly less effort into making a game that captures what people remember what they liked about DX 1. But they should still at least try to make a somewhat better game than DX 2, nevertheless.

AaronJ
9th Jun 2008, 01:04
Here's another thing about a prequel: Continuity. "Augmented People Enter From The Back", etc. That stuff was NEVER mentioned in Deus Ex. It would have to be following the Templar ending of Invisible War. It sounds good like that.

jcp28
9th Jun 2008, 22:34
I'm unsure what you're talking about, but if it incorporated the Templar ending, it would probably only do it so far as technology is retarted back for quite some years. I don't think anyone would want "Templar takes over the world" I don't like the idea of being an isolated resister, mostly because it sounds too cliched. And that's the only thing that could happen if DX 3 continued solely from the Templar ending.

jordan_a
10th Jun 2008, 00:43
prequels always seem ambitious but the team might try it anyways.It's too risky for a first game (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=77095&page=2)

AaronJ
10th Jun 2008, 00:44
Well its either a stupid prequel with continuity errors already, or the trailer was complete nonsense, meaning the developers underestimated us and the game will be IWar 2.

Mactypetim
10th Jun 2008, 01:46
Because.... if DX-3 even looks like another IW game I will not even buy it then return it. Believe me, it will not get that far...

I've been gaming long enough to see the demise of a franchise reasonably early, and move on to other ways to spend my time :(

The only reason I even bothered to join this forum was because DX has potential, and the scrap of theme music in the trailer sent chills down my spine :P

Nathan2000
10th Jun 2008, 13:39
Here's another thing about a prequel: Continuity. "Augmented People Enter From The Back", etc. That stuff was NEVER mentioned in Deus Ex.

It was. Have you read an email from medical coordinator to augmented agents in UNATCO? It's about discrimination of augmented people in the society. Have you read the Continuity Bible? It mentions separate entrances at airports. Have you seen a bum suspiciously looking at you and saying that you don't look augmented?

Well its either a stupid prequel with continuity errors already, or the trailer was complete nonsense, meaning the developers underestimated us and the game will be IWar 2.

I hardly see any logical point of that. Unless you say, that DX3 will be a prequel OR a failure.:D

AaronJ
10th Jun 2008, 17:49
Nobody will convince me a prequel will be good, or prove me wrong about a prequel being terrible.

JulianP
12th Jun 2008, 22:55
Have no fear, GlobalNode. It won't be a prequel.

gamer0004
13th Jun 2008, 09:44
Have fear, GlobalNode and JulianP, it will be a prequel.

J.CDenton
13th Jun 2008, 09:52
Have no fear everybody, we don't even know WHEN it'll be set.

Jaxer
13th Jun 2008, 16:15
Let's not refer to Deus Ex as a "prequel." It was first and greatest. It's unfortunate that Invisible War ruined the experience for you because Deus Ex is the single greatest game that has ever been conceived. Community interest in Deus Ex is about a hundred times greater than Invisible War, and that's what we're concerned about DX3 tying into. Invisible War, although adequate, is not the compelling property that is inspiring another group of developers to make the third game.

I myself don't even really consider Invisible War to be canon. Invisible War was like a game of its own that just happened to have a couple Deus Ex characters in it. I don't care what the IW writer thinks; Chad Dumier and Nicolette DuClaire do not lead the Illuminati. JC and Paul's schemes were also a blatant perversion of their Jeffersonian politics of the first game. I don't like it.

Back to Falkenherz though: it's probably impossible for you to get out of Deus Ex what the rest of us did, but what you need to do is completely ignore Invisible War. IW is the Star Wars prequels of this franchise, it's the iteration that many fans ignore completely.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that 99% percent of Deus Ex fans are more into the first game than the second. So it's the first game we want to see expanded with this next Deus Ex. (There are ways for Eidos to achieve that even placing it after IW's timeline) Whereas you, Mr. Falkenherz are more in love with Invisible War, it makes sense that you would rather the third game tie into the second more than the first.

Couldn't of but it better my self. I totally agree to A.I prototype. I simply love the first deus ex. The best game I have ever played. But the second one is just a disgrace to it. No other game holds a candle to deus ex 1.