PDA

View Full Version : memorable moments In DX - What DX 3 needs

DXeXodus
25th Jan 2008, 08:35
We all know that the first game was brilliant. In fact it was as close to a flawless game as any we have ever played. (or atleast that I have played) But what is it that made the first game so amazing? It was a combination of elements that led to many fond memories of the game. I can still remember so many great moments when I moved away from my screen to marvel at what had just occured. In the second game however, that was lost. I remember most things thathappened in it but they did not strike a chord anywhere. It did not have that certain factor that makes it memorable.

What DX3 needs to accomplish is creating good, memorable characters that make you feel emotion for them. You must not want them to die. (Or you must really want them to die if they are evil) The story line must make you feel immersed in the events taking place. You must be forced to make critical decisions that give you a lump in your throat with fear of the outcome.

I remember going back to Tracer tongs lab and seeing my buddies arrive there. The shock I felt when I saw Paul standing at Lebedev's jet as he told me I worked for NSF. So many great things.

Just keen to know. As a die-hard DX fan. What were your special moments in the game?

jordan_a
25th Jan 2008, 09:20
MJ12 jail and Daedalus

Just memorable.

Tracer Tong
25th Jan 2008, 09:48
Helios Ending.

TracerTong's killswitch removal.

Icarus's first appearance ("Taking full control of your systems...Done")

Morpheus (not a character but whatever) dialog.

of course the jail/daedalus moment.

Hermann's soda can incident.

Simon's killing terrorists in prison.

Jerre
25th Jan 2008, 09:50
So many great moments.

I was a Tracer Tong man. From the very first moment I met him I thought "he's the one i'm sticking with". I loved his last message you receive at the end of the game. "Find us JC, find us..."

Another great moment is Herman and Anna at the vending machine. :D

The memories... ;)

v.dog
25th Jan 2008, 09:55
@DXeXodus: It seems like you're talking on two topics; you started off talking about the characters, but then ask a question about special moments.

Compelling characters is what Dx3 needs, and their should be moments when your interaction is memorable. Is that what you mean?

Such moments would include:
Killing Anna and Gunther without firing a shot.
Finding the Head of the Illuminati in cryostasis.
Meeting Paul at the Jet.

Tracer Tong
25th Jan 2008, 10:01
Finding the Head of the Illuminati in cryostasis.

It's not "just" finding the head of the Illuminati in cryogenic stasis, it's also finding out that he's waiting for Everett to fix him up, while Everett keeps telling him that the technology isn't right yet. Later on you learn that the technology IS RIGHT and that Everett is doing that on purpose. Thus crowning him the head of the Illuminati

You see? There's a story behind every simple thing. Almost everything. Reminds me of a famous author which hides thing in his text that only after reading the text for the 5th time you see new processes going on that you didn't notice at first read.

The way to create such a story IS WITH A MAP, A HUGE MAP WHICH CONTAINS MANY TINY PARTS AND SUB-STORIES, mostly hidden from the user at first play, but encourages him to replay the game and find out more.
THAT'S THE KEY TO SUCCESS

I can even rewrite the jet/paul backstory, and morpheus, the beta version that Everett worked on in his early years of Illuminati

humbug
25th Jan 2008, 11:52
My favourite moments where

Daedalus
Escaping from the MJ12 prison
Discovering that I could stop jock from dying
The first time I played DX I didn't realize that Paul didn't die if you stopped to fight, so it was a great moment for me when I discovered this.
Realizing I couldn't walk because my legs had been shot off!

Nixweerd
25th Jan 2008, 18:52
My favorite moments are in the unatco HQ going to the womens restrooms and finding the woman who could not appreciate it. And Manderley reminding me not to go to the womens restrooms. :D

I was surprised, when I found out that I saved Jock when killing the mechanic. I killed him, just for fun, because I did not like him.

When I found out that the dragon's tooth sword is that good. in the beginning I always threw it away

Another memorable moment was when I discovered that there where a lot of augmentation canisters, the first couple of times I could not get as many augmentation as there are possible

gamer0004
25th Jan 2008, 20:05
The most recent memorable moment is discovering the secret room at Lebedev's Airfield while doing the DX no-item run. I've played that part of the game more then 10 times but only found it lat time...
I also liked it when I used the pin-ball machine at Lebedev's helicopter base, another secret room opened. I had never seen it, nor did I ever use pin-ball machines. For some reason I used excactely the right one. Found it on my 8th playthrough.
I really liked the moment when I saw Paul at the jet, listening to Lebedev's story and killing Anna Navarre to save him, and Manderley shooting me when I turned my back on him, and so on.
In fact, the whole game is memorable.
The only level I don't like is inside the superfreighter. I'm almost certain the level had been something different before they turned it into a superfreighter. Can anyone confirm this?
EDIT: I also remember very well that Bob Page was waiting for me at the ocean lab to talk to me when I had uploaded the scematics. Even though it was only a holocomm message I was really scared to talk to him the first time :P

Tracer Tong
25th Jan 2008, 20:32
Yet another memorable moments I remember from my 'email run', is the mail that the captain of the boat got from china, the one where the little girl (his daughter) talks about 'friends of her dad from work' who took her someplace, which is actually a kidnapping.

B0b_P@ge
26th Jan 2008, 01:27
- Playing the game on 'realistic' and fighting 'melee' style using the dragons tooth nano-sword. (note: very fun)

-Hong Hong: Wan Chai, Maggie Chow's apartment, versalife, lucky money, being called gweilo & the general anti-apathy associated being an outsider... everything, period.

-Ocean Lab: Uploading the UC-blueprints only to have them intercepted by... well... me. lol

-Getting Jock drunk before flying:
"Hey didn't you have a little to many drinks to fly"
"I'm fine, get it".

-Paris under martial law and you sneak around (Plus causing mischief like selling Vime)

-NYC: Urban c

jd10013
26th Jan 2008, 01:42
gosh, so much to pick from. I think I'll take the generic approach and say all the little things.
the hidden room at the airfield,
the MJ12 base in the sewers,
manderly telling Paul "you'll go in like the US marshals",
the pinball machine
the button behind the plant at the airfield
saving that guys daughter in hell's kitchen
smuggler
having your own office for 1/4 of the game
hacking the boss's computer :D

and I almost forgot, the Vandenberg level. activating those 2 mil bots and finally having somebody on MY side was one of the most gratifying moments in my years of gaming.

ahhh, there is just so much. And it wasn't all spoon fed to you. you had to look, you had to explore, you had to go through the dialog tree with the NPCs. I think I was able to play it 10 times and get significant amounts of new discoveries each time.

AI Prototype
27th Jan 2008, 07:11
Waking up inside a cell beneath UNATCO, not knowing if this was the end or what was happening and then being broken out - it was a jarring transition from confusion and helplessness to hope and the feeling of a new beginning. The MJ12 escape has to be my favourite part of that game.

Seeing Paul's dead body inside the lab in MJ12 was pretty emotional for me as well. I don't think any other game ever has been able to provoke any kind of emotional response. I remember feeling angry and also sad that I couldn't or didn't do something that could have saved him. (I've wondered each subsequent playthrough whether to make the choice to kill Paul or save him the way I did it the first time.. and each time I can't abandon him)

The UNATCO breakout was fairly inspired as well, changing sides and all your conversations heading out of the facility with Alex, Jaime and Carter.

The depth of your conversation with Morpheus was also mindblowing. It really gave scope to the game and added to the ambiguous but urgent nature of the narrative. Deus Ex has always been about social turbulance and a society on the brink of collapse - what are the implications of our choices, how should we try and shape coming events, what code of ethics is even relevant, etc.

G.A.Pster
27th Jan 2008, 08:27
I don’t know, it’s been like 6 years since I played it (I’ll have to replay it again).
There were lots of excellent moments the ones I remember most though are when Simon kills the NSF guys in prison, and when you’re in the 747 you can kill that other UNATCO agent (forgot her name) that just felt like the right thing to do.

And I liked how there were so many different ways do things.

DXeXodus
28th Jan 2008, 05:29
"Compelling characters is what Dx3 needs, and their should be moments when your interaction is memorable. Is that what you mean?"

Yes, v.dog. Thats what I was trying to say. It's complicated. DX2 just lost that for me and i would hate to see it happen again. We are all people and we need to be able to relate to the characters we play and talk to in a game. We need to be able to empathise with them and feel emotion for them.

I remember standing on the 747 looking back and forth between Anna Navarre and Lebedev trying to decide wtf i'm supposed to do :eek: . It was so difficult. In DX2 it was all 'go there, kill that, sneak in here shoot there'...blah blah etc

So many great characters that provoked some tough decisions: Anna, Gunther, Paul, lebedev, TTong, Nicolette etc. And also the ones you hated: Manderly, simons and Page. Those dudes scared me... something which never happened in the sequel.

Here's hoping DX3 is much better. Keep the nostalgia running though.. this is bringing back so many good memories

SomaMech
28th Jan 2008, 08:30
It's not "just" finding the head of the Illuminati in cryogenic stasis, it's also finding out that he's waiting for Everett to fix him up, while Everett keeps telling him that the technology isn't right yet. Later on you learn that the technology IS RIGHT and that Everett is doing that on purpose. Thus crowning him the head of the Illuminati

You see? There's a story behind every simple thing. Almost everything. Reminds me of a famous author which hides thing in his text that only after reading the text for the 5th time you see new processes going on that you didn't notice at first read.

The way to create such a story IS WITH A MAP, A HUGE MAP WHICH CONTAINS MANY TINY PARTS AND SUB-STORIES, mostly hidden from the user at first play, but encourages him to replay the game and find out more.
THAT'S THE KEY TO SUCCESS

AGREED.

Caradoc
29th Jan 2008, 22:27
There are too many to choose from, but...

-when Manderley commented what I was doing in women's wc...
-Anna's and gunther's dispute infront of the famous soda machine
-Mr madorley's briefings. Heck I really felt like being part of a serious organisation. :-)
-Drinking with jock and discussing world politics, his job and Paul.
-THE discussion about foreign politics with hong kong bartender in the lucky money
-buying drinks for chicks and dancing with them ;)
-russian sailors, nuff said :D
-the conversation with morpheus. The level of substance in DX is simply phenomenal compared to other games.
-Reading "The Man Who Was Thursday"

-Paul's betrayal, man it was a shock to find out that the nsf were the good guys. Okey they had few questionable methods, but on the larger scale oh crap what have I done!

-The scene inside lebedev's jet with anna. Pulling the trigger was one of the hardest decision I've made. What is unatco really? Anna forced me to choose..i never wanted to kill her, but she gave no choise. Sure she is a senior officer, but shooting at the unarmed prisoner is not a right thing in my books.

-The mini-storyline about rentons and ton hotel. Really wonderfull and complex stuff.

-Unatco's attack on paul's apartment. That my friends was an epic moment. Two brothers going out guns blazing..

-Waking in an unknown location and having no idea what has happened to Paul.

-Rescuing Savage's daughter from mj12

-Showdown with Walton Simons at the ocean lab. Heck the whole level felt really claustrophobic and when Walton Simons contacted through the com-link I nearly jumped off my chair.

-The homeless people in versalife's labs. Those sick mj-12 bastards. I really felt how thin line i was walking..one step wrong and I could be inside of that cage.

-Paris under maritial law. Maybe the most memorable location for me. You can really sense the whole opression thing there in it's fullest form.

jd10013
29th Jan 2008, 22:40
-Unatco's attack on paul's apartment. That my friends was an epic moment. Two brothers going out guns blazing..

-Waking in an unknown location and having no idea what has happaned to Paul.

yea, that was good. that on it's own makes me want to play the game again. To me, its just the incredible level of depth in the whole game. Every map/mission had its own little side story(not just extra quest) going on. they were all strewn with secrete rooms, or sewers or whatever. All had dozens of newspapers, data cubes, books, and interactive npc's to gain info from. and each mission/map had multiple ways of getting through it. I don't think there is a game thats had so much depth, so much in it as DX. And best of all, it wasn't thrown at you. You had to look, you had to explore, you had to talk to people.
And nothing compares to the way the character grew on you. The first time I played the game, when Paul told me to hop out the window and get to the subway, I did it. after I completed the escape mission, I found out he could be saved. I was so bothered by Paul dieing, I reloaded from earlier and played it again so I could save him. No game has ever had me that attached to any character.

jordan_a
29th Jan 2008, 22:43
Simon's killing terrorists in prison.
Get out of there Denton, this is none of your business. :D

Too many great moments...

jd10013
29th Jan 2008, 22:47
I remember how you could have a conversation with the one terrorist why Simmons was interrogating the other. I remember trying to get info from him, realizing Simmons was going to kill them both if they didn't cooperate.

yenmabek
30th Jan 2008, 08:27
I remember meeting hotel owner's daughter from NY (forgot her name) on the mission where you save some dude's daughter at a gas station. Last time you meet her is in NY and she says that she's going away from NY. When you meet her on the gas station mission that's somewhere in California or Nevada so it's pretty far away from NY and she's pretty much homeless. When I met her and talked to her I felt kinda sad for her cause I've helped here before and saw many things she had to go through and at the end to see her end up like this felt bad. I cant believe how deep the stories went on in DX. One incredible game.

RedFeather1975
30th Jan 2008, 09:40
My memory is quite fuzzy, but I believe after I gave Gilbert Renton my gun the situation got to a point where I knew he was going to draw it on me. I somehow managed to pick and draw my weapon and headshot him before he could even get a shot off.
My friend was watching and asked incredulously 'how the heck did you know he would turn on you and head shot him so freaking fast?! :eek:

Red
30th Jan 2008, 11:38

If they are ever going to shoot a film about DeusEx, I'd want that moment to be the main "action" event in the movie!

Just imagine the scene of two brothers, nano-augmented, kicking some serious ass of 50 UNATCO "SWAT"-type special troops throughout the 'Ton Hotel... Man, that would own!!

O.m.a.r
30th Jan 2008, 20:24
I’m going to have to play Deus Ex again, I didn’t know you could kill Anna on the jet. I Thought all you could do was kill lebedev or let Anna do it.:eek:

-finding out that if you didn’t warn the smuggler about Gunthers raids he dies.

-The Renton story line and the 20 different ways it can end.

-Soda machine argument.

-When you find Morpheus and the frozen guy, and learn their stories; at that moment I realized this was the greatest game of all time.

-Learning that you can save or leave Paul, the second time I played DE when I found out that he survives I was so F@#king happy.

-The show down at 51 with Simons, then realizing that only happens when you kill the maintenance guy repairing the second sub in the ocean lab ( Not sure it that’s true or not but I remembered that I fought him at both places and I did something different for each time).

-Finding the kill phrases for both Anna and Gunther.

-The Mj12 base in Unatco.

-Who the Unatco thief was.

-Talking to the sick and homeless in NYC.

-Helios ending

-And the one thing that blew my mind…… “Sign him up for the Knicks” :rasp:

And btw does anyone out their remember when your in the clinic and that one guy is sitting on a couch and thinks your someone else is their some like hidden mission or something can some one PLZ PLZ PLZ tell me !!!!!!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??????!!!

Tracer Tong
30th Jan 2008, 20:45
-Who the Unatco thief was.

Shannon, right? The one from the ladies' bathroom? The one who reported to Manderley about my 'actions'. Finding that bit of info (who the thief was) was very fun. DX3 should carve such nice memories into our brains.

jd10013
30th Jan 2008, 21:55
And btw does anyone out their remember when your in the clinic and that one guy is sitting on a couch and thinks your someone else is their some like hidden mission or something can some one PLZ PLZ PLZ tell me !!!!!!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??????!!!

I remember that. he starts to talk, then quickly stops and says something like "oh, I thought you were somebody else". kind of like in hong kong when that guy mistakes you for paul.

I've always wondered about it myself.

bigz834
31st Jan 2008, 02:42
I remember that. he starts to talk, then quickly stops and says something like "oh, I thought you were somebody else". kind of like in hong kong when that guy mistakes you for paul.

I've always wondered about it myself.

the guy that says "Who will help the widow's son?" or something like that? I know that the widow's son thing refers to freemasonry, but i'm pretty sure there's not a side mission to with it.

SageSavage
31st Jan 2008, 06:48
Something about the "widow's son":
http://209.85.129.104/search?q=cache:aTrSi7jsDC8J:freemasonrywatch.org/codecode.html+the+widow%27s+son&hl=de&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=de&client=firefox-a

DXeXodus
31st Jan 2008, 12:41
@Red: agreed, I think the Ton shootout between the brothers and Unatco would be epic if shot properly for a movie. There are so many things that would make a great movie in DX. The problem is that making a movie from DX would be so complicated and would be extremely difficult to pull it off properly. I would love to see one tho if its good (Obviously).

Does anyone have a clue as to what is happening to the movie that they had planned? All i remember hearing is that the writer wanted to make JC 'dirtier' or something like that. I was like WTF? JC is prestine... almost perfect. He cant even smile. That is the image the movie should have.

But, thats kinda off topic. apologies.

Red
31st Jan 2008, 15:38
I believe taht the perfect man for the role of JC would be Christian Bale. He's the man with the straight face, cold-blooded... The right man for the job (Anyone watched movie Equilibrium? Yep, something like that).

Apart from him... I'd digest anyone except Keanu Reeves. If someone would cast him for the role in DX movie, I'd buy a plane ticket and personally cut the cast directors balls off.

Xcom
31st Jan 2008, 16:42
Just imagine the scene of two brothers, nano-augmented, kicking some serious ass of 50 UNATCO "SWAT"-type special troops throughout the 'Ton Hotel... Man, that would own!!

Personally, I've always loved the SWAT scene from Leon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ryaU8ZOLEM

I think something like this can work better than just 2 against 50 plain shooting fest.

Btw, I like Christian Bale idea.

minus0ne
31st Jan 2008, 18:00
I believe taht the perfect man for the role of JC would be Christian Bale. He's the man with the straight face, cold-blooded...
Actually he could probably pull it off, but not like his acting in Equilibrium. If you doubt how diverse he can be though, you should see "Rescue Dawn" (2006), one of the best films of the past decade (and any other Herzog film ;) ).

Don't count on them bringing JC back as the protagonist though (lots of consistency/continuity problems there), but that's OK. They should definately let Franke do some VO work though.

Anaztazioch
31st Jan 2008, 18:05
Back to Topic:

- Sneaking or fighting my way to Liberty Statue

- Sarah and her fathers relationship (Hotel in NY)

- Searching for Airbase and Labadev

- Killing Labadev, or killing Anna Navarre

- Pauls Kill switch activation and his escape form NY

- Daedlus and prision break

- "Self-destruct" password to Anna Navarre upon leaving UNATCO "how did you know :boom: " :)

- De-activating killswitch

- Search for Nicolate's mother PC room

- The incomming messages from Tong, Everet, Helios and Page when selecting the ending.

Practicly whole game. DX:IV wasnt BAD, but dissapointing mostly due to 1 ammo type (whitch i got used to in Antarctica), only 5 biomods. If not for that Pop singer hologram, i wouldnt complete it - she (*it*) was what gave depth to the storyline. Coolest NPC in the game :)

Tracer Tong
31st Jan 2008, 20:47
Actually he could probably pull it off, but not like his acting in Equilibrium. If you doubt how diverse he can be though, you should see "Rescue Dawn" (2006), one of the best films of the past decade (and any other Herzog film ;) ).

I actually saw "Rescue Dawn", good movie.

I really, REALLY liked Christian Bale in his "American Psycho" appearance. And yes, he would be a great JC Denton IMHO.

jd10013
31st Jan 2008, 22:49
Something about the "widow's son":
http://209.85.129.104/search?q=cache:aTrSi7jsDC8J:freemasonrywatch.org/codecode.html+the+widow%27s+son&hl=de&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=de&client=firefox-a

damn, game's even deeper than I thought.

rhalibus
1st Feb 2008, 00:05
These are some of my more unconventional memorable moments, made more intense due to the highly immersive nature of Deus Ex:

Hesitating to jump off the scuttled tanker into the ocean because of my fear of deep water.
The first time Icarus asks what you're looking for in Nicolette's Mansion.
Realizing the underground UNATCO base is level 4 of UNATCO HQ.
Manderley trying to shoot you in the back as you leave his office.
The first creepy meeting of the Men in Black at UNATCO HQ.
The Ocean Lab elevator descending underground through the ocean floor

I'm sure I could think of many more...I re-read the synopsis of the DX story on Wikipedia and sighed with nostalgia...can Deus Ex ever be equaled?

DXeXodus
1st Feb 2008, 05:08
No.... It can never be equalled. In the world of Deus Ex it is our first love and it always will be. It is the first in the series and the one that sparked such anticipation for the first sequel. Unfortunately it was the sheer brilliance of DX1 that doomed the success of DX2 (well, that and about 300 terrible design desicions :mad2: ) But the point is that DX1 was an amazing experience and I dont believe it can be matched. I do however believe that a worthy successor can be made.... They just need to stick to the basics of DX.. the things which made it a special game. Im looking forward to the third game and I wish the developers the best of luck in creating it. And here's to hoping that I am wrong and DX 3 is the best DX ever. :thumbsup:

DXeXodus
1st Feb 2008, 05:13
I know some people may disagree, but I believe that one of the best levels in DX is the escape from MJ12. you have no weapons. You need to slowly build up your inventory by silently taking down the guards. The suspense is so strong, especially when you wake up in the cell and daedelus starts speaking to you. Even the events leading you there where you can just keep on fighting, but ultimately you get taken down... so awesome. And then finding all of your stuff again..

Man I love this game

Anaztazioch
1st Feb 2008, 08:37
I know some people may disagree, but I believe that one of the best levels in DX is the escape from MJ12. you have no weapons. You need to slowly build up your inventory by silently taking down the guards. The suspense is so strong, especially when you wake up in the cell and daedelus starts speaking to you. Even the events leading you there where you can just keep on fighting, but ultimately you get taken down... so awesome. And then finding all of your stuff again..

Man I love this game

There is an armory with all your equipment, but you have to get there, avoid bots and guards.

What i realy liked in DX was:

1) The differant aproaches to mission, and in fact, game was designed not just to allow differant aproaches, but to make them. Just as i remind, sneaking through Lib Island, not killing any1, using gas granades and paper spray till i reach top. Just how many fight you can avoid, you dont have to be a "tank".
Other games allows that, but i havent finished Oblivion as Pilgrim or Thief (using pre-made classes), or finished Dark Messiah using only Magic.

2) Dialogs, interreaction, incoming messages, chance to speak to "all". Remember Jack in Bar before your first flight ? Or hungry kid that knows the secret password behind soda machine that NSF uses ? The gray death sick patient ? Morgan Everet and the keept in life "leader" of the Ilumanati ? Daedlus and Helios, drug dealer "***** i aint boing back to jail".

3) Augmentations. They were many and often you had to abandom one for other, selecting not the "best", but those that suits your style or wish to play. I liked to sneak in, hack security and automaticly kill enemy with turrets, or have targeting system and headshot with pistol from max range :)

4) storyline

5) "complicated maps" making more than just one way to reach target.

But to ask - WHAT is it that you didnt like in DX2 ? (aside from bad model of female standing. Like she have iron clothes and cant lower her shoulders :p , only 5 biomod slots, 1 ammo type, lockpick and multi tool in one - but were infuture, who uses "locks".)

DXeXodus
1st Feb 2008, 12:34
I know you find your stuuf in the armoury. I mentioned it in my post.

The game (DX2) was OK. But it was not a worthy successor. It really missed the mark when you copare it to the Original

jd10013
2nd Feb 2008, 00:37
There is an armory with all your equipment, but you have to get there, avoid bots and guards.

First time I played it I saw those two big ass bot patrolling and said the hell with it, I'll find new guns. :eek:

Unstoppable
15th Feb 2008, 04:19
List 3 of your most memorable deus ex moments. Before you do however try to be as detailed as possible. What were your thoughts and feelings when they occurred?

Here are my top 3

1)Entering Unatco Hq for the first time. :queue background music track 4 by Alexander Brandon: I was in awe. I was immersed. I was JC Denton. :cool:

2)Doors knocking on Paul Denton's door. It was the MIB. I didn't know you could save him by staying at the time and I excited the window. I thought to myself what would of happened if I stayed? Too late, Paul my brother was dead. Cry. :(

3)Area 51. It was time to make Bob Page and Walton Simmons pay for killing my brother. I look at 12 o clock in the sky and hear Jock scream. His chopper explodes in flames. Oh my god those sons of bleep were going to pay. I can't believe Paul died and now Jock. No mercy for Bob Page. :mad2:

Those were my top 3 how about you guys/gals?

DXeXodus
15th Feb 2008, 08:31
Unstoppable: I posted a pretty much identical post to this last month which has about 40 posts in it already.

Please refer to: 'memorable moments In DX - What DX 3 needs' :)

Angel/0A
15th Feb 2008, 21:01
-Seeing Paul's body on the table in the MJ12 lab, and then seeing Jock's chopper explode, on my first run through the game. Never again!

-Discovering the MJ12 sewer lab under Hell's Kitchen in the demo extra mission.

-Landing on the Vandenberg X51 Command Center. At first I thought something had messed up, because the roof was so barren and all I could see was the skyline, but then I realized it was the rooftop of a huge building when I went over to one of the edges.

-Looking through the VersaLife lobby window down to Tonnochi Road. Such a cool added detail.

-Finding the strange glitchy crates you can clip through and hide in at Lebedev's airfield.

Lo Bruto
16th Feb 2008, 01:33
Hong Kong, Paris, NYC... interacting with the people...

Every single moment with Walton Simons, one of the greatest characters EVER. Specially the first time you met him, after he gets out of Manderley office, you introduce himself and he just say "We are not ready for a introduction, not yet" or something like that...

Also, I really like JoJo Fine... tough he's easily killed...
"Next thing is I explain it a lo bruto. Is that what you want?"

Gary_Savage
21st Feb 2008, 00:39
-Realizing that this game was made by some of the same people behind "Thief: The Dark Project", just before getting past the last two NSF guards near the top of Lady Liberty, in mission 1. [This might be irrelevant now, since this game is being made by a new and dedicated team]. The eerie tune, the whistling of the guards below, and the conversation of the two guards ahead gave an atmosphere that was definitely Thief-like.

-Getting reprimanded by Paul for an Anna Navarre shooting spree.

-Being told by a UNATCO trooper that they didn't need a specialist, afterall, after rescuing the hostages at the Ton. I'm going to knock him out, my next playthrough, and take his weapon (hopefully, he has an assault rifle).

-I especially loved the map which had the NSF generator, in Hell's Kitchen.

-Being told at HQ that people were complaining about my lack of involvement in the firefight in Hell's Kitchen. I still don't know how to keep these people happy: I get this comment no matter how hard I try to be a part of that bit of action.

-The MiB raid in the Ton. I was so scared, the first time. It still scares me now, on each playthrough.

-Seeing Paul in the MJ12 lab. He was dead on my first playthrough, but not on any other.

-Seeing Jock blow up at Area 51. I so felt like I had let a very dear friend down; especially after feeling that I had continued his mission to assassinate Maggie Chow, after reading his messages in his Hong Kong apartment.

-Being contacted by Daedalus for the first time, on my first playthrough. It was crazy: I felt, "What is going on, here?"

-Getting shot in the back by Manderley.

-The Hong Kong music (my favourite one).

-The Versalife music.

-Getting those taunting messages from Gunther, at the Templars Cathedral.

-The music and atmosphere at the Templars Cathedral.

-The fact that almost every customer at the NYC and Paris nightclubs have something to say that I find useful.

-This felt like more of a cheat, but I liked the highlighting of important places to visit, in green, when everything else around was blue. Examples include the cubicle of the guy at Versalife who asks you to kill his boss, the arms dealer's apartment entrance in Paris, and the building with the ATM in Paris.

-Seeing the chamber where I was grown (or nano implanted), for the first time, in Area 51.

-Seeing the door blow up at me, near that same tube. It was a nice touch. I especially liked Page's talking of a poetic death, right after that. To me, that was VERY nice.

-The design of the 'lobby' at the MJ12 lab (the hand above the projected globe). It's very symbolic of what MJ12 was all about, and it was a very nice piece of architecture. I would have liked something like that, perhaps on a smaller scale, at Dowd's or Everett's place. I would like to see more symbolic architecture, something like the conference room towards the end of the Zodiac mod, which had the symbols of so many religions; I would not like to see religious factions in DX3, though.

-I liked how the Grays were a mystery to me, even after the 10th playthrough.

-I would like to see Thief-like sneaking in DX3, including the obligation to hide bodies/unconscious persons from patrolling guards.

Lo Bruto
21st Feb 2008, 00:50
-Getting those taunting messages from Gunther, at the Templars Cathedral.

" I see you, a thief on the roof. My new satellite link has both infrared and the x-ray spectrum. I see your heart beating. I see you are afraid. "

I was actually afraid. :D

Gary_Savage
21st Feb 2008, 00:56

Man I love this game

I really liked having advanced intelligence (a map), from which to plan this mission. I felt it was really cool.

kenx
21st Feb 2008, 22:43
AGREED.

:thumbsup: I think the same

Gary_Savage
24th Feb 2008, 00:39
-I liked the references to kernel development (for an operating system, the Blue OS), on board the super tanker in New York. It reminded me of kernel development of the GNU/Linux OS, a system that I was playing with when I first played the game. I would like to see references to on-going technical developments in the DX3 world, in the new game.

-I liked the scientists' complaints about user interface, a complaint from my own life that had led me to experiment with non-Microsoft operating systems. It would be nice to see some more pet peeves from the real world in the new game.

-I liked the life changing material (life changing for me): I was so impressed with the presentation of the multitool (with its display changing, as if it really was reading the flow of current inside circuits) that I wondered if such a thing would be possible. I was in high school during that first playthrough, and when I learned in my Physics class about the Hall Effect I realized that something like a multitool might be possible in reality. Since then every time I used the multitool I actually felt that the tool was reading the flow of current, and then applying such tremendous electric fields (i.e. utilizing the Hall Effect) that the target's (camera, turret, etc.) circuits worked differently than intended, causing them to malfunction. I figured that the electric fields must be so great at to deplete the internal batteries of the multitool, thus making them one time use tools. I was soon so obsessed with the multitool (a little to the annoyance of my Physics teacher) that I chose to major in Electrical Engineering in college. While I doubt that any game will have this much of an effect on me, ever again, I do hope that DX3 will inspire some young high schooler to get into science or engineering. BTW, did the nano lock pick get anyone interested in Mechanical Engineering, by any chance?

-I liked the way research practices were portrayed at Versalife. When I was an intern (during college) I realized that real world companies really are secretive about what they do. I would like to see more references to how real organizations operate, in DX3.

catelee2u
24th Feb 2008, 21:31
I really loved the Versa Life area. I like the millions of ways you could creep through it. The suspense was fabulous. I loved first finding the area with the alien in it and the creepy radioactive zone.

Red
24th Feb 2008, 22:04
Yeah... Too bad Warren didn't realise the potential of Greys for the immersion in the game. It would be awesome if they had had their conciousness in DX1 already, so you could learn their story (and/or break one of them out of the labs, and then receiving a reward... Something like anti-radiation aug canister and their alleigance throughout the game, of course).

urban_queen41
25th Feb 2008, 07:00
For me, the most memorable moments usually had to do with the characters in the game, and how attached I became to them...

-Seeing Paul's dead body on that table. *tears*

-Killing Anna. Finally, managing to get her back after all those smart-ass remarks about sunglasses...

-When I found out that JC and Paul were supposedly gonna die because of the killswitch... I was freaking out so badly all the way 'till the switch was turned off in Tong's lab.

- The Morpheus convo, of course, as well as Lucius DeBeers. It was seriously hard for me to make the desicion on whether to pull the plug on DeBeers or not.

- ICARUS FOUND YOU! RUN WHILE YOU CAN! Scared the living ****s out of me. And the first time Icarus ever talks to you. 'Huh? What? Icarus who? Taking control of my systems...? WTF?!?!?'

- Seeing JC Denton's test tube in A51 for the first time. It was so memorable...

- Actually feeling sorry for Gunther.

- Jock dying. I freaked out. All that way, and he dies..? Nooooo....

And who could forget those two Aussie chicks at the Lucky Money. *s******* Can you say OOC JC...?

PD182
25th Feb 2008, 13:18
Ah DX had so many moments :D
Def for me it was
* Finding out you could save paul on my 2nd run through.. on my third i laced the building with gas grenades before the attak :D makes life much easier
* Finding the underground mission in Ny, or that room in the airfield, or that stash of goodies hidden under Alexs office "the janitor has sticky fingers" :D
* The killphrases.. priceless
*Only finding out now by reading this post that Jock CAN die.. didnt know that always killed that mech. Or that simons can be engaged at Area 51. Always something new to learn
*Morpheus and DeBeers and the whole Illuminati conspiracy, 1723.. the birth of Adam Weishaupt
*Icarus.. so cool

It was all so intriging and immersive, actually caring about characters and choices like lebedevs jet. DX2 btw sucks at this.. and its augs.. and lack of skills...and so many other flaws. If you ever read this dev team DNT SCREW THIS ONE UP please!!!

Gary_Savage
25th Feb 2008, 13:48
* Finding out you could save paul on my 2nd run through.. on my third i laced the building with gas grenades before the attak :D makes life much easier
* Finding the underground mission in Ny, or that room in the airfield, or that stash of goodies hidden under Alexs office "the janitor has sticky fingers" :D

Hey, thanks for the tips on how to take care of the troops, during the raid on the 'Ton.

Also, where is this secret room at the airfield?

Man, despite having played this game perhaps more than 15 times, I still find new things, try things/ways/paths that I had not tried before, and reminisce on rediscovering something that I had come across on a playthrough long ago.

I also LOVE the music. This game got me into Electrical Engineering, and now I still play its tunes while I warm up the laser in the lab, and during some experiments. I feel like Tracer Tong (too bad somebody beat me to that nick on this board).

Angel/0A
25th Feb 2008, 16:55
Also, where is this secret room at the airfield?
JC really ought to kick back and have some fun before he enters the hangar. ;)

Mindmute
26th Feb 2008, 15:18
The most memorable moments in DX for me were:

-The intro cutscene...
We have other problems I became addicted to the game as soon as I saw the intro...

-The 747, obviously one of the biggest moral decisions in the game. To kill an unarmed prisioner in cold blood, allow another agent do it or to kill a fellow agent to protect him?

-Meeting the Illuminati agent at the graveyard outside NY.

-Entering a room before going into the catacombs and hearing a phone ring... Walking up the phone and having a brief conversation with Icarus. That moment was priceless I had never felt so immersed in a game as I did then.

-The conversation with Morpheus and questioning Everett about having his own private Echelon system (how many hidden agendas can one person have?).

-The fight with Gunther, the fight with Simons, the "fight" with Howard Strong.

-All of the area 51.

Azrepheal
1st Mar 2008, 17:16
Icarus, obviously.

There was also a conversation I stumbled across once at the Cathedral (Ive tried to hear it again but never been able to trigger it) where two guards discuss how Gunther has basically gone insane since Annas death, something about him standing outside in the rain all night, waiting for something "He gives me the creeps", yeah - that set me on edge somewhat. The idea that after killing a psychotic machine's partner, you had made him EVEN MORE psychotic.

Also, pretty much anything with Simons "I'm a patient man... but not that patient" *BANG*

mouse
1st Mar 2008, 17:37
-buying drinks for chicks and dancing with them ;)

hoooold on a second... You're talking about the girls in the Lucky Money club, right? How do you manage to dance with you?

ridgerunner
3rd Mar 2008, 07:50
The Music!

Salvaro
6th Mar 2008, 01:54
memories?

- oh yes! the music!!!
- the bars! speaking with the characters and listen to the music :D
(i spend a lot of time in the NYC club)
- synchronization of the voices
- Nicolette DuClare
- the conspiracies

I love the atmosphere and the interplay of story, music, action, characters.

DX1 was the most innovative game of the last five years!!!
What DX3 need? DX3 must be innovative! not a copy of DX1!

Red
6th Mar 2008, 14:00
Last 5 years?

I believe it was released in 2000...

Salvaro
6th Mar 2008, 21:49
oh :D :mad2:

ok ok my fault

thobis
7th Mar 2008, 16:01
God the music was good!
still gives me chills when i hear it!

im pretty sure the whole atmosphere of the first one was what made it easily playable over 10 times!

I loved the variability of the game, b/c you had to choose your augs instead of being able to replace them (like in IW) it made each choice individual and the skill points made the game more fun in that you literally felt specialized as if you were playing a "kit" from some other FPS like battlefield!

The best part of the game by far however, was all the side-quest story lines that completely immersed you into the game play... at each turn you met a new character that needed your help, and you totally felt for them- regardless of how you handled each situation they put on you. You could betray people, help them, it was like making real life choices!

I have yet to play a game that got me as involved as Deus Ex, it was almost like a movie, but you got to choose how the movie unfolded- absolutely brilliant!

I just hope that the next one is more like the first than the second- i wouldnt even mind if they went back to the old graphic system, while blocky it didnt matter because it was so good (and im usually a graphic-oriented guy)

God im going to be waiting forever for this game to come out- i almost hate the fact that i found out its coming out so early :(

Gary_Savage
10th Mar 2008, 18:58
If DX3 is indeed a prequel (I do not know), then I would like to see references to research that went into developing some of the stuff in DX1. I would like to visit some the labs where this kind of research is being conducted; maybe even steal some tech, like in Versalife (DX1). I would like to see the development that went into the nano-key ring, the Dragon's Tooth Sword, and the multitool (all from DX1); the multitool is one thing that fascinates me even to this day (from a science/ engineering perspective).

I would also like lots of technology that is new to DX3 (the ones that I mentioned were new to DX1).

Who knows, maybe out there, in the wide world, sits a high schooler who will play through DX3, and be fascinated, and be enthused enough to say something like: "By GOD, I LOVE this tool! I like the way it works; the way it shows itself to work (even if the developers had not thought of that); and I think a device like this is realizable! Maybe a multitool can re-route bad signals in a faulty circuit! I want to build this. I think I will become an electrical engineer!"
--It's moments like these that I may never again get from a computer/video game; but it is moments like these that may live in my heart forever.

GruntOwner
10th Mar 2008, 20:26
The Helios ending. Sooooooo involving.
One of the bars in Hong Kong, Probably The Lucky money. I go to talk to the bartender and find myself in a discussion about the pros and cons of dictatorship, and his arguments were absoloutely brilliant. The fact that a game can put forward a better argument than my entire economics class, myself probably included, was just incredible.
On a recent playthrough, I forgot about the raid on smuggler. All I heard was "I don't think he made it out in time" and I just cursed myself. Not just for the 1k discount, but the absoloute horror that I've just left himn to die.
The ease with which you can convert people to it. My friend has nitrus hooked up to his desktop, which should tell you just what sort of performance he expects from a game, yet even he admits it's one of the best games ever. My other who's doing awfully on it at the moment still refuses to give up on it he's that engrossed. We're talking about someone who likes the graphical ecstacy of UT3, and a Wii owner, the lord and master console of uninvolving minigames, taking to it like the illuminati to paranoia.
When Icarus selected you over Page as a host. That was just the ultimate incentive to carry on for me. That and the fact that I was so near completion.
Gunther chasing your chopper in paris. I just saw him run in and thought "Christ, where'd he come from?"

Gary_Savage
16th Mar 2008, 03:42
"You were made by a cabal of technophiles so crazed for power, that they would not only control governments and people, but the chemistry of our bodies, as well."
--Lebedev, in DX1

I really liked this touch! As an engineering person, this resonates very well with me: I like to control what cannot be controlled (that is what I cannot control, yet), be it the way a laser or resistor operates, the flow of data inside a computer, or the way my body crumples after a fall. As a person who especially likes to be able to control, in intricate detail, how a machine works, I found this quote extremely vivid in illustrating the craze of the said technophiles (MJ12). I really liked how ominous Lebedev made the MJ12 sound, to me at least, in the way that he described how MJ12 would like to control not just people, but their chemistry, as well, just as much as I like to control machines and devices. Very few things portray a brutal disdain of human beings like the dehumanizing of people into controllable (factory) machines.

mouse
16th Mar 2008, 12:43
memorable moments...

when my two 'little' sisters watched my play and begged to let them try the game too... one of them managed to beat the game, the other gave up -> DX fans +1

Gary_Savage
17th Mar 2008, 01:43
Actually, this is what I am afraid of... my little brother took a liking for the game (7 years ago) when he saw me playing mission 1, thief style. His words still ring in my mind, every time I kill an NSF on Liberty Island: "Don't shoot the terrorist... Paul said..." Also, later on, when I would keep shooting the NSF at the Mole People hideout (and keep getting shot up) he would tell me: "Only shoot the head and chest." I was a high schooler at that time, and had not bothered to go around the whole of the 'Ton hotel, so I did not hear the sounds of the other activities going on there. Had I known then, I would have locked the little kid out of the room before every play session.

By the time DX3 will come out that little kid will be in high school, so I am desperately hoping that the devs put in a parental control system in it, especially since my brother still considers DX to be one of his favorite PC games. In fact, I think the devs should release a patch right now, to add parental controls to the original DX: I kept my original DX CD at my parents' place, when I left for college.

RoyalSnail
17th Mar 2008, 02:36
It's been said before, but I'll say it again.

The escape from MJ12/UNATCO. After blasting your way through thick and thin to end up getting killed. . . Then just when you're about to hit reload you wake up being told to escape, from where you dont know and how you have no idea. And the music in the UNATCO area, I just love it. My favorite part of the game, mostly because of the music. To me, its what makes it immersive.

And the whole Skill Points in a FPS thing, and how it really did make a HUGE difference.

The opening cutscene, grabs you by the gonads and goes "You figure it out!".

EDIT:

Also the first time you get overwhelmed, you're in the red with your torso/head and have both legs and one arm in the black, with the other arm in the red. 2 medkits, no HP aug yet. Deciding what you manually heal to stand a decent chance.

Azrepheal
17th Mar 2008, 04:00
ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!
ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!
ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!
ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!
ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!
ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!
ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!
RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!

First time a game has ever scared me. I almost wanted to turn it off to escape... but then of course, the only way I could defeat Icarus would be to continue playing.

"You will find no allies here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryogenic storage"

AHHH!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

mouse
17th Mar 2008, 17:03
Actually, this is what I am afraid of... my little brother took a liking for the game ...

I guess I would be ashamed if my little sis would beat me in any computer game... even in The Sims ;)

But is kind of cute how I dragged her a little bit on the nerdy side of life... I failed to convice her to play UT with me though...

lordtrout
19th Mar 2008, 01:53
Here's what made DX the revolutionary smash hit that it was:

1. Large exporable environments.
2. Interesting NPCs
3. Brilliant story
4. large inventory
5. Being able to access your inventory
6. character development
7. Interesting locales
8. upgrades
9. the game was designed for RPG fans, not 13 year old kids looking for an alternative to HALO
10. non-liniarity.. multiple methods could be used to accomplish goals.
11. interactive environments.
12. many more that I'll think of later.

Ultimately DX:IW was not a bad game, but it was light years behind DX (as are most games). Eidos, just follow the above formula and you'll do well.

rhalibus
20th Mar 2008, 19:26
1. Large exporable environments.
2. Interesting NPCs
3. Brilliant story
4. large inventory
5. Being able to access your inventory
6. character development
7. Interesting locales
8. upgrades
9. the game was designed for RPG fans, not 13 year old kids looking for an alternative to HALO
10. non-liniarity.. multiple methods could be used to accomplish goals.
11. interactive environments.
12. many more that I'll think of later.

Wow--a perfect crystalization of what made Deus Ex extraordinary.

ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!
First time a game has ever scared me. I almost wanted to turn it off to escape...

First time a game has scared me (Icarus asking me what I was looking for in Nicolette's mansion), enraged me (Simmons executing the NSF terrorists in the UNATCO cell) and given me vertigo (the air shaft in Area 51) and bathyphobia (The jump from the scuttled tanker into the water)...

Ja5on
25th Mar 2008, 18:31
Simply the best game ever

Kevyne-Shandris
26th Mar 2008, 04:00
Action moment: 'Ton hotel setting up shop before the UNATCO and MiB breakthrough. I collected EVERY trash can on the level, and arranged them all in the lobby and area before Paul's door. C-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y carried the TNT from the warehouse and laid them on the floor in critical areas around the trash cans. Took the saved Tear Gas canisters and placed them at critical turn points just inside the front door; the doorway upon entering the lobby; at the top of the stars; and one before the upstairs doorway. Then to set it all off put the LAMs on a pillar where the trash cans were swirled around; at the bottom of the stairwell so the UNATCO troops who got hit by the gas, will walk a step forward to be blown up; then another by Paul's door in the same fashion (there I had wastebaskets all around). It took a LONG time to set this blow scene up, but it killed every UNATCO trooper but one and I had to only kill 2 MiB agents. That was the most fun I had in the game -- total creativity to use whatever props to destroy an invasion. :)

Quiet moment: looking at that dusk sky wondering what the hell the future would bring, not knowing what the hell awaited. Feeling exhausted, depressed, lonely, and the literal weight of the world on my shoulders.

Shooting moment: Warehouse level, snipering baddies from clear across the map through the windows of the COM building. They were but tiny black dots at that range, but funny when hitting one, and watching the others do their run dance. :D

There's just so much in DX to like and love, it's really difficult to pick just ONE moment you liked best!

Gary_Savage
8th Apr 2008, 05:48
-The scene inside lebedev's jet with anna. Pulling the trigger was one of the hardest decision I've made. What is unatco really? Anna forced me to choose..i never wanted to kill her, but she gave no choise. Sure she is a senior officer, but shooting at the unarmed prisoner is not a right thing in my books.

If DX3 gives us situations like this one, then I would like to see missions/mission objectives change, depending on my actions. Taking cues from DX1, if I chose to kill the NSF at Castle Clinton, then Anna Navarre asks Manderley to make me an assassin. In a situation like that, I would want an assassination mission. On the other hand, if I chose to keep my head level, then I would want the game to give me more humane missions, say hostage rescue. Also, if I chose to obey Anna Navarre in Lebedev's jet, then I would want the game to give me more questionable assignments. On the other hand, if I chose not to do it, then I would not be given more highly classified/possibly bad press issions. Further, if I chose to kill Anna Navarre, to save Lebedev, then I would want my employer to not trust me too much, lest my "incompetence" gets another agent killed.

With all this in mind, the fact that my actions did not get Anna to recommend that I be made an assassin, but I was still asked to kill Lebedev, I felt that DX1 could have been less on rails than it already was (not that I am complaining, as I still had plenty of freedom). Perhaps DX3 could have multiple agents (maybe not all of them augmented, the same way, if at all), and each of them gets sent off on different missions, and the missions that you get will depend on your previous actions? Say, if you saved all the UNATCO troops at firefight in Hell's kitchen, then you get to lead a small force, in some future mission; if you assassinate a small fry, then maybe you get sent to assassinate a big goon (and maybe even choose to ally with him/her, as paul allied with Tracer Tong); if you get the hostages out, in Battery Park, and in Hell's Kitchen, then maybe you generate such good press that you get to choose from a list of missions? I would also like multiple ways to get to personal objectives, like not choosing to assassinate the small fry, but still being able to get to an important person, to form an alliance (as in, not killing district level rebel commanders, but still getting a mission to assassinate Tracer Tong, so I can ally with him, in a prequel). Any thoughts, anyone?

gamer0004
8th Apr 2008, 16:39
There aren't enough agents to divide those tasks: assasination's must be done, whether you'd like it or not. Just like saving hostages.

Gary_Savage
8th Apr 2008, 17:43
Some jobs could be given to agents, and others to teams of soldiers. That way your actions can decide the missions that get assigned to you. As a super-agent you should be able to handle a jog that would otherwise require a small team of soldiers, like a sniper being able to take out a leader, who would otherwise need to be taken out (along with his guards) with CQB. Also, in DX1 some missions were assigned to you, some to Paul, some to Anna and some to Gunther. In a situation like that, I would like my actions deciding which of the missions I get. I think that would add tremendous replay value.

Vasarto
8th Apr 2008, 21:14
MJ12 jail and Daedalus

Just memorable.

Aww yes that was pretty awsome. Memorable moments I had was.

Seeing Paul in Hong Kong
The First Level. To me the First Level of DX1 IS the moment itself.
Talking to just about anyone in the canal's in Honk Kong.
Giving Junkies Drugs for into,Bombs or w/e.

What dues ex 3 needs is.

Junkies
Ho's
Interesting people. (Crack-pots,broken down Religious soldiers,Bums,Conspirocy thorists,Drug dealers,Gangsters)
Ton's of character development
Expansive inventory
Moments in the story where things that non essential npc's say something that really make you think about the world itself and the games world.
A world so Emersive that It could make you forget your playing a video game.

DM9
8th Apr 2008, 21:19
am i the only one that climbs LAMs? (i.e. place LAM, or any like, low on a wall as a step, repeat) gotta be the best way to get those good snipping spots;)

that and i love moding the pistol out the ying-yang to use it for perfect snipping

Gary_Savage
8th Apr 2008, 21:29
am i the only one that climbs LAMs? (i.e. place LAM, or any like, low on a wall as a step, repeat) gotta be the best way to get those good snipping spots;)

that and i love moding the pistol out the ying-yang to use it for perfect snipping

I haven't actually used grenade climbing, but I have tried it on my current playthrough. It's just that I have only successfully employed this technique once. At other times, I somehow fall off, from very near the top; at other time I go up a building (in Paris, just outside the building where Jock drops you off, around the entrance to the catacombs) to jump over a fence, only to find that jumping makes me hit the 'sky' ceiling, and so I fall down before I get over the fence.

And yes, I too mod the stealth pistol to become the perfect assassin's weapon of choice: scope, laser, accuracy mods, range mods, skill points, etc., and you have a weapon that can take on almost anything. Add the targeting aug to that, and you can quickly dispatch any living thing (well, maybe not the karkians).

Vasarto
9th Apr 2008, 03:41
Anyone remember going into the ladies bathroom and getting chewed out for it?

GrayLander
9th Apr 2008, 19:52
Finding out if I ran away from Simon in the Ocean lab then I would have to fight him again in Area 51 was cool

-Deciding what to do with the prisoner in the plane
-Meeting Paul and finding out about the NSF
-UNATCO HQ
-Escaping MJ12 jail
-Having Jock blow up at Area 51

Be awesome to have a remake with better graphics

Vasarto
9th Apr 2008, 21:02
Finding out that paul was alive when I was sent to jail.

Gary_Savage
10th Apr 2008, 03:49
-Finding Nicolette. It actually felt that she was being discreet.

-Bob Page's disparaging my namesake, in the intro, and Morgan Everett's doing the same: one talks about ethical inflexibility (the more memorable part), while the other talks about a marginalized protest (interesting, with all the talk about whistle-blowing, going on at the time that I played the game). I kept remembering these remarks when I was introduced to the ethical codes of my professional society: the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers.

Voltaire
14th Apr 2008, 06:51
Fave DX moments? Not easy.

- Last stand at the 'ton Hotel with Paul. That kinda rocked. :rolleyes:

- Laying a mine for Anna to trip over when she comes to get you to kill Lebedev. JC just turns back to Lebedev and carries on chatting like nothing really happened: "Now that we're alone..."

- Saving Miguel, that NSF dude, from the MJ12 jail (and then UNATCO)

- Killing Manderley. I wouldn't have done it, but he shot me in the back (literally) as I tried to leave. He deserved what he got. :cool:

- Boozing with Jock. That guy rocks.

EDIT: I forgot about finding that body in the underground cave-in that Tong tells you to find. Creepy last words in that diary of his...

Gary_Savage
16th Apr 2008, 19:21
EDIT: I forgot about finding that body in the underground cave-in that Tong tells you to find. Creepy last words in that diary of his...

O yes, the last words of a dying man, when he already knows he is in the throws of death; witnessing the unfolding of his own creations.

Voltaire
16th Apr 2008, 19:29
O yes, the last words of a dying man, when he already knows he is in the throws of death; witnessing the unfolding of his own creations.

Tell me about it! I really got the shivers.
AND I spent ages trying to climb through a hole up near the ceiling by his body in the cave-in. Anybody know if that's do-able? (sorry it's a little off point...)

Daktaklakpak
17th Apr 2008, 07:01
I'm surprised more people haven't focused on the excellent dialog!

1) Talking to Sam Carter in the middle of breaking out of UNATCO HQ. You ask him to join you in NSF, and he replies with something like, "We have crooked politicians-fact-but this is still UNATCO and by and large the people in this building are 24 karat gold." It was a sobering reminder that I couldn't just go indiscriminately killing people, even if circumstances made them my enemies. If you keep trying to convince him, he stubbornly replies, "The only way to save this place is for the good people to stay. That's how I see it." I felt such amazing respect for him! To see such determination and moral strength--I almost felt like a quitter for giving up on UNATCO.

2) Getting chewed out by Manderley for refusing to kill Lebedev, and JC saying dryly, "Does this mean I don't get an op-bonus." LOL.

3) "A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat." Perfect voice acting.

Gary_Savage
17th Apr 2008, 14:21
I'm surprised more people haven't focused on the excellent dialog!

1) Talking to Sam Carter in the middle of breaking out of UNATCO HQ. You ask him to join you in NSF, and he replies with something like, "We have crooked politicians-fact-but this is still UNATCO and by and large the people in this building are 24 karat gold." It was a sobering reminder that I couldn't just go indiscriminately killing people, even if circumstances made them my enemies. If you keep trying to convince him, he stubbornly replies, "The only way to save this place is for the good people to stay. That's how I see it." I felt such amazing respect for him! To see such determination and moral strength--I almost felt like a quitter for giving up on UNATCO.

This bit I enjoy on every playthrough, besides every conversation with Carter. Carter was among the the people whom I got most attached to, in DX1, the others being Paul, Tong, and Jock.

Every time I reach the hostage situation in the 'Ton hotel, in NYC, I remember back to Carter's words, from my first playthrough: "Never negotiate with a terrorist" and throughout the last portions of the game, every time that I receive a transmission from Bob Page, Carter's immortal words burn in me: "Never negotiate with a terrorist."

@Daktaklakpak: What did you think of Juan Lebedev's words, in contrast to Carter's? In my case, I wanted to join the resistance, despite Carter's words, not because of what Lebedev said, but because I trusted the judgment of Paul.

jamesthefishy
23rd Jun 2008, 06:53
*starts installing the orginal deus ex on his linux machine*

My favorite was the lime soda conversation with gunther and anna then the second one, if you sneak down into the old snack room there are too bums talking about how theres only lime soda in the soda machine... it was the guy who brings the soda in all along! I also love the skul-gun order form in the second one...

Alex Denton
23rd Jun 2008, 07:49
Deus Ex had some incredibly memorable moments. I remember the first time I played through and I found out Unatco was a front for MJ12. I was... floored to say the least. I mean I had to step away and go, wait did that actually just happen?!

I also remember racing out of the prison with my weapons recovered and having my brother still inside. Such great moments, I also remember rushing into Tracer Tongs worried about my killswitch and having him just zap me and bam I'm fine. o.o Blowing up that giant ship and the Helios endings were some other memorable moments. Over all the game is just full of too many to list all of them. Which is why I'm still playing it to this day :P I played Deus Ex and IW back to back, like finished Deus Ex and then immediately loaded up IW, and I gotta tell you thats when you notice just how different things are. I hope Deus Ex 3 has a lot of memorable moments in it, unlike IW which was pretty much forgettable sad to say.

jamesthefishy
23rd Jun 2008, 09:48
I have to agree that Deus Ex is amazing and I just loaded it up so I can get all the things that should be kept, Ill repost my list of things when I finish both games... Pending on class I would say at the most about 1 week for the original and 1/2 a day for the second.

jamesthefishy
23rd Jun 2008, 09:56
Quick idea, I thought it would be cool to see the triads again.

Luminous Path
23rd Jun 2008, 12:44
---Forming a truce between the dragon heads in the temple adjacent to the luminous path compound is a very memorable moment for me.

---Rescuing the NSF trooper 'Miguel' from the Secret MJ12 lab was strangely touching,

Jaxer
29th Jun 2008, 20:19
Gunther chasing your chopper in paris. I just saw him run in and thought "Christ, where'd he come from?"

No way!

Me too!

When i was 8 years old i first played this.....me and my mate got on the chopper and started to relax. "wheeew we did it!"

Than Gunther shoot out from around the corner,

i was like : "Is that Gunther?"

It scared the absoloute sh** out of me!

Oh and Icarus....... He was just plain creepy.

"your systems were very co-operative.... upload complete."

*shudder*

RebelX
1st Jul 2008, 00:22
The whole game itself was memorable... Here are some memorable moments:

1. The famous argument between Gunther and Anna at the soda machine
2. Paul yelling "Jesus Christ, JC!" if you attack him
3. Hacking Manderly and Janice's computers and have them yell at you :D
4. Going into the womens bath and getting yelled at later :o
5. The pinball machine :D
6. Walter Simons... he always gave me chills...
7. Blowing people to bits with a LAM/GEP gun (I like that sound too...)
8. Paul spilling the beans about him and the NSF. I was blown away.
9. Getting high on zyme :nut:
10. Icarus scaring the hell out of me with his messages... ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!! Run while you can!!! (or something like that)
11. Seeing Paul was alive (I was touched to say the least)
12. Helping the MJ12 prisoner Miguel to the helicopter... (Once again, I was touched)
13. All the side missions like the Rentons and such
14. That underground MJ12 lab in Hell's Kitchen... I was scared ****less!
15. Saving Jock
16. Seeing that MJ12 was the 4th floor to UNATCO
17. Manderly shooting you as you leave his office
18. Getting to kill Anna and Gunther
19. When you send the distress signal to Silhouette and Walter Simons tells you the troops have turned on you... I was so scared...:eek:
20. And who can forget, the Russian sailor who uttered "I speel my drink!!!"

I also REALLY liked the music! It really fit the game extremely well... Alex Brandon is awesome...

If i think of any more I'll post 'em.

Kevyne-Shandris
1st Jul 2008, 17:33
I haven't actually used grenade climbing, but I have tried it on my current playthrough. It's just that I have only successfully employed this technique once. At other times, I somehow fall off, from very near the top; at other time I go up a building (in Paris, just outside the building where Jock drops you off, around the entrance to the catacombs) to jump over a fence, only to find that jumping makes me hit the 'sky' ceiling, and so I fall down before I get over the fence.

The one bummer of climbing that way is the Statue of Liberty climb. One ledge gets in the way, preventing getting to the top. Got all the way up there, and one ledge...ONE LEDGE...prevented capping the statue.

Hope DX3 allows such movement, and the ability to clear a level so to have the time to fool around like that -- not have repeating mobs, that just respawn. Also hope tunnels; canals; AIR CONDITION DUCTS are literal mazes with presents/easter eggs/surprises inside -- making it worth exploring every pixel of the map. Maybe that's where the datacubes for books should be, for the hardcore DX fans to find, leaving the casual gamer to his run+gun game.

And another thing. Now these games have a radar like display. Hope, too, it can be turned off in the options, so exploration is a real treat, and your compass is the only guide.

DXeXodus
4th Jul 2008, 06:16
Number on memorable moment:

The first time I ever loaded Deus Ex onto my 400mhz beast of a machine and opened up the game. After the training and opening cinematic (also a very memorable moment) The loading screen finishes and there in front of you is New York city skyline glistening through the night sky in all its pixellated glory. The sound of a nearby seagull fills the air. As the waves delicately dance against the posts of the wooden dock I look around to view the opening area to the best game ever made - that my friends is the most memorable moment in Deus Ex. Lol... I'm sorry for the cheezy language, I'm in a strange mood today :D :rolleyes:

Psychopomp
5th Jul 2008, 15:40
No matter how many times I play through Deus Ex, it blows my mind whenever Manderley mentions the womens bathroom thing.

I always go in there searching for ammo/heatlhpacks/ect.

jcp28
5th Jul 2008, 18:45
Yes, I thought that very amusing.:D I remember just stumbling in there in my first gameplay and not really looking. And my future interactions with Shannon were influence from there on out. I somehow missed her during the first time I escaped from UNATCO for some reason. I just wanted to get out of there and take anybody who was willing.

Lytheon
19th Jul 2008, 19:59
-Being told at HQ that people were complaining about my lack of involvement in the firefight in Hell's Kitchen. I still don't know how to keep these people happy: I get this comment no matter how hard I try to be a part of that bit of action.

I've discovered after infinitesimal attempts that you're most likely supposed to "jump in" not from the "alley" behind 'Ton & The Underground Tavern, but the other side of the fighting, next to the 'Ton entrance. And you have to keep all UNATCO troopers alive if you can, if not there should be max. 1 dead troop. So gas bombs work well most of the time - yet that could backfire in such a small area, so don't be surprised if you help the UNATCO lot yet have them at you with their assault rifles after that. Only THEN do you get some appreciation, and it's mostly just "You took out the guy that got Jones. Serves him right huh." Not sure if it's really worth the effort, but even the guy out front in the HQ comments well, so there.

Anton69
23rd Jul 2008, 18:14
I absolutely love atmosphere in HONG KONG - market, hotel apartamets etc - everything is ideal!

Very cool moment is when you breaking in someones apartament in paris you hear Daedalus speaking "THIEF! YOU JUST A RAT ON THE ROOF" or something like that.

ANd of course one of best moments - speaking to Helios about life.

In DX2 I was very happy to met JC and places from 1st game. Sleeping JC with processor is really magnificent and traveling through his memories, especially starting form HongKong apartament is fantastic)

theshadowcult
24th Jul 2008, 02:44
No.... It can never be equalled.

True, but if your looking for a fix to tied you over story wise until dx3 comes, try Vagrant Story on the ps1, it was made about the same time, and while it doesn't have the same level of interaction and is a medevil game, it has a similar immersing massive conspiracy type story... though, thats only after you play DX a few more times ;)

Can't say really what my most memorable moment is... except maybe... no... there is no one moment, the whole game is a memorable moment...

DXeXodus
24th Jul 2008, 04:02
Very cool moment is when you breaking in someones apartament in paris you hear Daedalus speaking "THIEF! YOU JUST A RAT ON THE ROOF" or something like that.

There is a similar moment when you are infiltrating the Templar Cathedral in Paris and Gunther Hermann says something about you being scared and that he can see your heart beating.

That is a great moment in the game because you know that he is out for blood in order to avenge Anna's death.

Cr4sh
24th Jul 2008, 08:22
The most memorable moment in DX for me was when you first were in the facility that produced the dragons tooth and had to get out again through the big hall with the hand around the globe. There were two mechs and one guy i think patroling around this huge hall. I just switched on the speed mod an ran to the elevator, and when i just got in, a rocket fired from one of the mechs got me and blew away my right arm. The elevator doors seemed to need eternally long to close. just when it was loading the previous area, i realized i hadn't breathed since i began to run and my hands were wet of sweat. That was really cool!

Fen
24th Jul 2008, 08:57
Just after I sent the signal in hells kitchen. It hadnt dawned on me what the consequences of my actions were going to be. So when the troops turned on me I was totally shocked. Then realising I had to escape, ran down the stairs, saw troops everywhere, hit the speed aug, sprinted back up and launched myself off the building. Was a very memorable escape.

Cr4sh
24th Jul 2008, 09:02
What also was very cool was the comparison on the assault rifle prevouisly - after.

When you get it, it will blow the five shots in one line over half the screen, you have to aim widely under the feet of a guy to shoot his head.

In the end, it bursts out its five shots exactly on one point, is silence and has a mag with the capacity of 45. You can even kill a mech with one burst in his head...

What i absolutely need to try out is to shoot an enemys legs off as they can do with you. i wonder whether they then also crouch around :scratch:

Coliphorbs
24th Jul 2008, 11:26
"I see you... a thief on the roof!"

Every single thing in DX made it memorable, really. From the big, obvious things like the jet plane incident and the various ways to kill Anna Navarre, to the smaller things you don't pay much mind to in the first time around - such as Hermann making the statement, "The machine would not make a mistake." Though it was in reference to a simple soda dispenser, it held a lot more weight than that in the context of the game.

lippy85
25th Jul 2008, 20:17
The music was also fantastic! If they could bring back that back again it would be great! I fear however, that only Alexander Brandon who wrote the original sound track could pull it off again!

Kevyne-Shandris
25th Jul 2008, 20:31
The music was also fantastic! If they could bring back that back again it would be great! I fear however, that only Alexander Brandon who wrote the original sound track could pull it off again!

If the teaser is any indication, at least the theme maybe the same.

Got so used to that tracker type sound, that if I have to, I'll insert the DX soundtrack if need be.

Oh, why couldn't they just revamp DX!!!!

rockyrr
18th Dec 2008, 21:20
Paul standing at Lebedev jet as he told me that he workes for NSF

Gunter and the soda :)

Things oUTSIDE THE bUNKER OF aREA 51

InGroove2
18th Dec 2008, 21:23
Paul standing at Lebedev jet as he told me that he workes for NSF

Gunter and the soda :)

Things oUTSIDE THE bUNKER OF aREA 51

orange soda right? wasn't fanta orange the nazi drink? or have i just watched too much micheal moore?

Digitaldruid
18th Dec 2008, 23:27
making a break from the mj12 prison with a riot baton and a pistol. you are pushed to the edge when you are stripped of all your weapons and you are short on ammo.

DXeXodus
19th Dec 2008, 05:58
My thread lives again! :)

- Finding the secret medical supply on Liberty island for the first time after playing the game about ten times through.

- Finding enough biotech below Versalife to start a one man war :thumb:

GmanPro
19th Dec 2008, 06:24
Hmmm... What DX3 needs :scratch:

how about:

. Big awesome looking bots that pump you full of lead if you're careless. Those things are so cool :thumbsup:

. Commando dudes with cool armor, big guns, and modified voices. :cool:

. A huge french Chateau with tons of secret rooms ;)

. Some crate o' cookies. :whistle:

Jerion
19th Dec 2008, 06:58
My thread lives again! :)

- Finding the secret medical supply on Liberty island for the first time after playing the game about ten times through.

- Finding enough biotech below Versalife to start a one man war :thumb:

I know, right? that med supply is awesome. Good use of a lockpick if you aren't too good a shot. :D I found it something like my 6th play-through. I like breaking into the ship better though. :p

Memorable moments? Umm....

Going back to Versalife the second time, but through the elevator, not the back way...and suddenly finding myself face to face with a very startled commando. :D

spm1138
19th Dec 2008, 07:00
That "Oh god what do I do now?" moment when they tell you to kill Lebedev.

He's not armed, he's not resisting. Am I a policeman or an assassin?

Then Anna Navarre turns up...

GmanPro
19th Dec 2008, 07:05
Best moment in video gaming imo ^^

It was so unexpected. I went in there thinking this is just any other FPS. Then that happened and I was like, oh yeah. This is Deus Ex. :thumbsup:

Jerion
19th Dec 2008, 07:13
^^ Yep. :cool: What was so great about it was that you could piece some bits of it together if you watched Paul's emails and stuff.

On a side note, I actually knocked out Lebedev after Anna prompted me twice. I carried him over my shoulder all the way back to UNATCO HQ- turns out it sends the UNATCO gaurds freakin' nuts once you toss down the body in the the medical office.

jordan_a
19th Dec 2008, 10:38
That "Oh god what do I do now?" moment when they tell you to kill Lebedev.ABSOLUTELY! That moment is an example of perfection: the story is gripping, you have to make a choice, the music is awesome: genuine orgasm! :p

DXeXodus
19th Dec 2008, 10:54
......This is Deus Ex....

Quote of the year.

Hopefully we will be able to use it when referring to DX3 when it is released :)

Necros
20th Dec 2008, 08:23
No matter how many times I play through Deus Ex, it blows my mind whenever Manderley mentions the womens bathroom thing.
Yes, I love that bit too. :D And according to a preview (the one in PC Zone, I think) we will see something like that in DX3 too, a little homage. :)

Radius86
26th Dec 2008, 19:04
^^ Yep. :cool: What was so great about it was that you could piece some bits of it together if you watched Paul's emails and stuff.

On a side note, I actually knocked out Lebedev after Anna prompted me twice. I carried him over my shoulder all the way back to UNATCO HQ- turns out it sends the UNATCO gaurds freakin' nuts once you toss down the body in the the medical office.

I'd love to know what Manderley said to you after that...and whether you got the op bonus!

FreedomForever
30th Dec 2008, 04:03
Although it was really brief,I remember that MIB guy coming out and saying he killed your mom and dad then I kill him instantly lol,it kinda of made me feel sad for JCdenton life.

I loved the way this game makes you care,in most games im just evil because is fun but in this game it makes you feel like in your in a other world that you care about so you want to do a decision that reflects your ideals which is another strong point to this game which revolves around ideals that are very interesting/important to me.

The final part of the game actually made me pause it and think about what to pick lol at first then I just loaded the last save to see the other endings lol.

IOOI
18th Mar 2009, 14:17
Cutting it short:
-Decisions and their moral implications - i remember Sam Carter advising about the necessity of a non-violent approach wich lead me to adopt stealth and "non-killing" actions; Lebedev in the plain (to kill or not to kill);
-Exploring the environment and discovering secrets - Paul, Jock and Maggie Chow apartments;
-Other momments include talking with the journalist in the Underworld bar at Hell's Kitchen (that moment was movie plot classic, like was he trustworthy or not) trying to defeat Gunther in the subway (he was invincible), helping the people at the hotel, the encounter with aliens... and many other.

The suspense was in the air all the times. I'll need to replay.

GmanPro
18th Mar 2009, 16:14
Lol, it was kinda funny because every time I play through that part of the game I always just cap Anna Navarre in the head and save Lebedev, and then Manderley gives me the full opp bonus. But the one time I decided not to take her out, I get scolded by Manderley for disobeying orders. Lol.

I'm Not Edible
18th Mar 2009, 20:21
I loved the sheer amount of dialogue in this game. it was truly mind-blowing.

I remember the first time Icarus and Daedalus contacted me. Also those creepy emails saying things like 'ICARUS IS LOOKING FOR YOU' and the 'ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU, RUN WHILE YOU CAN!'. I genuinely felt terrified.

A healthy mixture of fear and the compulsion to carry on is the mark of a good game in my books. :D

jamhaw
18th Mar 2009, 20:50
Although it was really brief,I remember that MIB guy coming out and saying he killed your mom and dad then I kill him instantly lol,it kinda of made me feel sad for JCdenton life.

I've never thought about it before but maybe that was Adam Jenson!

G-Machine
18th Mar 2009, 22:25
The Hell's Kitchen Riot/Ton Hotel shootout, the first time walking round the Hong Kong market, and deciding to kill Anna Navarre on the plane are my favourite moments among many. I like the parts when u first get into a new area are straight away faced with a game changing decision. Means that every replay is different and fresh.

Irate_Iguana
18th Mar 2009, 22:44
Most memorable moment for me was getting chewed out by Paul for killing some people. Definitely not what I was expecting from a game at that time. I loved it. Made the various NPCs seem much more human.

Mindmute
18th Mar 2009, 22:47
I've never thought about it before but maybe that was Adam Jenson!

Two problems with that:

First, no one jumps out and says: "Oh hi, I killed your 'rents!"
Bob Page comments on how your parents tried to protest when you were put into training and that he's sending the man who "silenced" them up the elevator to deal with you.

Secondly, Adam Jensen is a mech (like Navarre, for example), not a MiB. MiBs are not mechanically augmented.

GmanPro
18th Mar 2009, 22:49
Although, I think the MiB's were augmented using some new tech. Something about psionics... Anyway, for this dude to be old enough to have killed JC's parents when JC was only a child, then I don't think there would be any other form of augmentation available of the except heavy duty mechanical variety. Or maybe just because he is in a black suit, doesn't mean he is exactly the same as all the other MiB's :rasp:

Mindmute
18th Mar 2009, 22:56
Or maybe just because he is in a black suit, doesn't mean he is exactly the same as all the other MiB's :rasp:

If it's as fast as a MiB, as durable as a MiB and makes the death cry of a MiB before blowing up and dying it's a MiB to me ;)
Seriously though, he didn't feel special in any way as far as abilities go and hidding early mechanical augmentation with a black suit seems a bit difficult.

The whole advantage nano augs had to mech augs was basically that they could blend into the crowd while mech augs, stuck out like clunky blue/gray golems.

I'd love to meet that guy in DX3, as long as he's not important, the meeting is subtle and you only get hints via exploration that he was the guy who killed daddy Denton.
If anyone related to a minor character in the universe appears out of nowhere and gets tossed into a role right in your face like Chen in IW, I'm turning off the game and going to find a bosom to cry on.

jamhaw
18th Mar 2009, 23:57
he didn't feel special in any way as far as abilities go and hidding early mechanical augmentation with a black suit seems a bit difficult.

That scene was kind of disapointing really. He was the exact same as all the other MIB's. They could have at least made him look different.

Ninjerk
19th Mar 2009, 01:02
IIRC if you blow Rock the Zyme dealer unconscious for El Ray instead of killing him, he gets upset, but gives you your LAM anyway.

I think it's similar with Lebedev.

On my second or third playthrough I decided to start executing Rooks before talking to El Rey. I couldn't believe they scripted for that possibility, too!

a house
19th Mar 2009, 10:23
On my second or third playthrough I decided to start executing Rooks before talking to El Rey. I couldn't believe they scripted for that possibility, too!
Try killing all the UNATCO troops in the NSF warehouse before sending the signal.

I never kill the MIB though. He must have had his reasons, eh?

AaronJ
19th Mar 2009, 12:23
It would be so much better if Sarif was raided by MiB's, as mentioned in one article, rather than the damn black ops commandos...

But then again, Rene has said that the magazines just get a peek at the game and run with what they see, so what some idiot calls black ops commandos may actually be MiB's...

Cross your fingers folks.

Ninjerk
19th Mar 2009, 12:57
Try killing all the UNATCO troops in the NSF warehouse before sending the signal.

I never kill the MIB though. He must have had his reasons, eh?

Hehe, I did that too. My favorite line was in the beginning if you shoot the NSF commander, actually not just Paul's but also the UNATCO informant's if you told him that he could trust you not to kill his contact.

Mindmute
19th Mar 2009, 14:27
It would be so much better if Sarif was raided by MiB's, as mentioned in one article, rather than the damn black ops commandos...

But then again, Rene has said that the magazines just get a peek at the game and run with what they see, so what some idiot calls black ops commandos may actually be MiB's...

Cross your fingers folks.

I seem to remember from the e-mails at Versalife that the MiBs we encounter on DX1 are something still quite new (they called them series P agents if I'm remembring correctly), so I don't think we'll get to see them on DX3.
Seing a percursor to them, or hearing people mentioning parts of what became the program that led to their creation would seriously rock though.

Ninjerk
19th Mar 2009, 17:59
I seem to remember from the e-mails at Versalife that the MiBs we encounter on DX1 are something still quite new (they called them series P agents if I'm remembring correctly), so I don't think we'll get to see them on DX3.
Seing a percursor to them, or hearing people mentioning parts of what became the program that led to their creation would seriously rock though.

Didn't the document in the MJ-12 facility say that the P-series was condition with a number of pharmaceuticals?

Mindmute
19th Mar 2009, 18:13
Didn't the document in the MJ-12 facility say that the P-series was condition with a number of pharmaceuticals?

To: MLundquist//VersaLife.783.48.90
Subject: Series P Agents (Overview)

The Series P trials have so far produced excellent results, and I continue to
believe that our physiopharmaceutical approach to agent augmentation to be
superior to mechanical augmentation -- and possibly even equivalent to nanotech
augmentation -- at a fraction of the cost and effort. The Series P agents show a
marked lack of pain response with a corresponding increase in endurance and
strength, while psychological conditioning has resulted in a Loyalty Estimate of
9.66 on the Yitzhak Scale.
The modified explosive self-termination switch added in Series N has also proven
highly effective in eliminating all traces of the Series P in the event that
they are mortally wounded or otherwise unable to complete their mission
objectives.
We're continuing in our attempts to isolate the source of the albino traits, but
so far the simple addition of sunglasses and dark clothing appear to have
resolved the problem in a practical fashion.
--
Dr. Arthur Donovan

This is the email I was speaking about.

Considering how they mention the sunglasses and dark clothes, those are the MiBs; no mechanical augmentation other than the explosive.

Since also it mentions a series N, I now really want to see a series N agent in DX3, provided the time frame is right.

Ninjerk
20th Mar 2009, 02:45
I've wondered, too, about whether that scale (Yitzhak) and the one that UNATCO uses to classify terrorist organizations (I forget the name now, but I'm sure I'll find it again in this playthrough) are real, objective scales.

Caradoc
20th Mar 2009, 10:46
-Entering a room before going into the catacombs and hearing a phone ring... Walking up the phone and having a brief conversation with Icarus. That moment was priceless I had never felt so immersed in a game as I did then.

-The conversation with Morpheus and questioning Everett about having his own private Echelon system (how many hidden agendas can one person have?).

Firstly that thing with icarus you mentioned. Man it was creepy as hell. I literally jumped off from my chair. I was playing in the middle of nigh with headphones on. Totally immersed in. The atmosphere in paris was really intense...

Also the debate with morpheus a.i was really cool..There aren't many games with that much depth. Moreover Everett's character was really well done. He had so many angles and secrets that I bought it right away that while this man was obviously a great aid, he could also be quite dangerous gentleman to cross.. And the cryotic chamber of former Illuminati leader in his home.. Whether to turn it off or not..It was quite a moral decision.

Spyhopping
20th Mar 2009, 11:22
One great moment I had forgotten about until now, happens in a café in Paris. I feel like I should put spoilers around this, just in case.

A man's son is a MJ12 soldier, and he opposes what he is doing. He gives you some login details and thinks he has helped you kill his own son.
From then on the MJ12 soldiers didn't seem as faceless.

"Joshua: I have helped you to kill my own son. It is that not enough?

Agathe: If you see him... tall, you know, dark hair... don't shoot. He's our child.
I know they all look the same in those uniforms..."

= immersion

Spyhopping
20th Mar 2009, 13:10
Heh yeah, I always thought the line "I know they all look the same in those uniforms..." was a little tongue in cheek ;)

AaronJ
20th Mar 2009, 14:15
Why does this thread need to exist? Dugas as clearly stated that the game will be packed with such memorable moments. You know, the kind DX1 lacked.

But seriously, I think the memorable moments will be how cool the third person aug activation will be. MULTI-KILL HELL YEA!!!

GmanPro
20th Mar 2009, 20:36
^^ I cant WAIT to start punching holes in walls! Because that's what I think of when I think of Deus Ex, multi-kill augs and wall punching.

Blade_hunter
20th Mar 2009, 20:44
Oh men, that would be bad things :(

Ninjerk
21st Mar 2009, 01:02
I hope they have a slow motion replay mode when I shoot someone in the head.

GmanPro
21st Mar 2009, 01:04
^^ Yeah! And someone should say "BOOM! Headshot!" in a really deep voice

dixieflatline
21st Mar 2009, 01:12
I hope the regenerating health works super-fast. 'Cuz nothing says 'memorable moment' like the thrill of being in a big firefight, then being close to death, and then waiting behind a pillar for 5 seconds for your health to fully recharge, allowing you to storm head-first right back into the gun fight again! That just creates so much tension and challenge. Oh so much fun.

(Sorry. I try not to be this sarcastic usually. Been a long day. )

Ninjerk
21st Mar 2009, 01:17
Hey, UT99 was an incredible game, but I digress.

So yeah, like, we should have some kind of ethnic character with us, too. Kind of like a "white cop, black cop" type thing and we could have some humorous moments derived from their varying cultural paradigms.

Morgan_Everett
23rd Mar 2009, 02:27
-The entrance of the MJ12 Commando in the Lucky Money killing all the people there is in.

-Your first time in the UNATCO HQ and the Battery Park.

-The conversations with the homeless in the NY subway "Majestic, majestic..." or "Wall Street is burning. I heard on the radio." EPIC.

gaberuski
23rd Mar 2009, 17:37
Alex's voice.

When I realized Level 4 in UNATCO was where I was imprisoned.

Saving Jock.

The battle at Paul's apartment.

Saving Sandra from the Pimp, Johnny?

Finally getting that dance with Mercedez at the Lucky Money (you have to buy her about a billion drinks).........jk, I wish.

Wan Chai Market (just all of it).

Stealth good times in Versalife.

hahaha the battle on Tonnocchi Road, Red Arrow vs. Illuminati. who can forget that! I quicksaved to many times to see what the outcome would be.

Finding the special area in the TRAINING level.

Trying to escape at Battery Park (against Hermann, and the whole squad, it's inevitable, but you can get so close!).

Finding where the mole people live.

Checking my emails and seeing how incompetent Gunther is at literacy.

Having my conscious cleared upon realizing Gunther and Anna were actually bad!

Daedulus, duh.

grrrrrr....bob page and walton simons.

I HATE RUNNING INTO GREASELS!

what a game, what a game.

Ashpolt
23rd Mar 2009, 18:59
Memorable moments? How about

ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU
ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU
ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU
ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU
ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU
ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU
ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU
ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU
ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU
ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU
ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU

GmanPro
23rd Mar 2009, 19:03
ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!

ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!

ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!

ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!

RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!

RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!

RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!

RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!

The best was the phone call

AaronJ
23rd Mar 2009, 20:48
Alex's voice.

When I realized Level 4 in UNATCO was where I was imprisoned.

Saving Jock.

The battle at Paul's apartment.

Saving Sandra from the Pimp, Johnny?

Finally getting that dance with Mercedez at the Lucky Money (you have to buy her about a billion drinks).........jk, I wish.

Wan Chai Market (just all of it).

Stealth good times in Versalife.

hahaha the battle on Tonnocchi Road, Red Arrow vs. Illuminati. who can forget that! I quicksaved to many times to see what the outcome would be.

Finding the special area in the TRAINING level.

Trying to escape at Battery Park (against Hermann, and the whole squad, it's inevitable, but you can get so close!).

Finding where the mole people live.

Checking my emails and seeing how incompetent Gunther is at literacy.

Having my conscious cleared upon realizing Gunther and Anna were actually bad!

Daedulus, duh.

grrrrrr....bob page and walton simons.

I HATE RUNNING INTO GREASELS!

what a game, what a game.

Sorry, not enough.

Unstoppable
22nd Apr 2009, 13:49
Hello gamers it's your friendly neighborhood Spiderman. Back again with one of my threads as we eagerly wait E3 2009. Just 42 days to go. In this thread I want you to recreate your "awe" and "wow" moments of Deus Ex. Try to keep it interesting and remember what you felt like when it happened. I have about three moments in Deus Ex that where sublime. Also try to keep them in order of the story. Here are mine.

1) Entering Unatco HQ after my first mission. :queue Alexander Brandon track 4 music: Then they cool subtitles saying I was in Unatco HQ. That along with the awesome background music. My jaw dropped, I was in the Deus Ex universe, I was JC Denton, a nano-tech enhanced anti terrorist agent!

2)Trapped in the cell block of MJ 12 while that idiot Walton Simmons was harming the inmate across from me. There was nothing I could do as I searched the cell block for some sort of secret doorway. Then something happened which never happened to me before.

An elite hacker was helping me. His name was Daedalus. So cool, hopefully he could get me out. The voice acting was sublime and I was finally able to escape my cell block as I crawled under the icy steel door. Thanks Daedalus I couldn't have done it without you. Little did I know that he was an A.I. Here I thought it was Alex Jacobson but nope it was not.

3)Area 51 Jock drops me off. I was unable to snuff out the spy in the hangar before takeoff. Jock radios me that he is having trouble with his joystick controls. Then a huge fireball explodes in the sky as I dodge for cover. Bob Page was going to burn in hell for killing my pilot Jock. It was the beginning of the end. It was time to finish Walton Simons as well. They would all burn...

This is what made Deus Ex sublime and well deserving of Game of the Year. Lets hope Deus Ex 3 can at least come close.

Unstoppable
22nd Apr 2009, 14:08
Big news tomorrow Eidos joins Square Enix!

http://kotaku.com/5222537/tomorrow-eidos-is-square-enixs

JCD
22nd Apr 2009, 14:14
This synth-bassline in UNATCO HQ is really well done - it stays in your head :cool:

However.....I can't really say that Deus Ex had jaw dropping moments for me...All the game was so tense, conspiracies, hidden passages, I simply couldn't relax. Honestly, if you ask me, the whole game was jaw-dropping.

In other titles, I can easily remember many scenes. In Outcast, when I got to the desert. The music and the scenery...well, you just stand still. Excellent.

Half-Life 2: Episode 1. Excellent artwork inside the core and the ending was brilliant. I almost openned my hands when the shock wave came upon the train.

Far Cry/Crysis have some very nice jaw dropping scenes, because of their graphics of course. Many space sims also do.

It's a shame really, I can't remember not even one scene in DX. I was so amazed by the whole game...I believe I was in awe every time I discovered sth new (quite frequently that is :D)

InGroove2
22nd Apr 2009, 14:33
This synth-bassline in UNATCO HQ is really well done - it stays in your head :cool:

However.....I can't really say that Deus Ex had jaw dropping moments for me...All the game was so tense, conspiracies, hidden passages, I simply couldn't relax. Honestly, if you ask me, the whole game was jaw-dropping.

In other titles, I can easily remember many scenes. In Outcast, when I got to the desert. The music and the scenery...well, you just stand still. Excellent.

Half-Life 2: Episode 1. Excellent artwork inside the core and the ending was brilliant. I almost openned my hands when the shock wave came upon the train.

Far Cry/Crysis have some very nice jaw dropping scenes, because of their graphics of course. Many space sims also do.

It's a shame really, I can't remember not even one scene in DX. I was so amazed by the whole game...I believe I was in awe every time I discovered sth new (quite frequently that is :D)

it's not a shame. that's exactly what i like so much about the game. things just happen, there is no fanfare or huge musically scored sequences. that's so boring. EXPLOSIONS etc etc whatever. It's more immersive IMO to just let things happens as if you were there. BOOM jock blows up without music or a big cut scene to direct you into thinking "wow that was a big deal, i should feel pissed about that!".

anyway, my favorite DX moments are the small ones, finding pieces of info that put the pieces together. that start to expose characters for what they are.

I think going back to HQ a few times, each time with a slightly different slant to it. at first, it's home, then it's tense cause Paul ran off then YOU are the enemy. I loved the idea of feeling like a stranger in your own HQ... and having people recognize you and talk to you even though you're on the other side.... really tense.

3nails4you
22nd Apr 2009, 14:45
I about pooped my pants when Icarus messaged me for the first time in Chateau DuClare saying "What are you looking for?"

Keep in mind, I was about 11 when I got there, so of course the creepiness factor was amplified. But I remember hitting escape and running away from the computer. That whole level creeped me out because I kept waiting for someone to actually be in the Chateau.

Ninjerk
22nd Apr 2009, 15:32
it's not a shame. that's exactly what i like so much about the game. things just happen, there is no fanfare or huge musically scored sequences. that's so boring. EXPLOSIONS etc etc whatever. It's more immersive IMO to just let things happens as if you were there. BOOM jock blows up without music or a big cut scene to direct you into thinking "wow that was a big deal, i should feel pissed about that!".

Yes, this was nice.

OuttaZyme
23rd Apr 2009, 03:50
Hey, remember that moment in Deus Ex 3 when you were crouched behind that crate waiting for Adam's health to regenerate so you could continue playing, and then Donald and Goofy stepped up to help you take out the Heartless patrol bot that had you pinned down in Traverse Town? And when you popped out from behind cover and jabbed those guys with your keyblade-slash-lockpick-slash-multitool? And then the Red Queen showed up and was all, "oh no you did-int!"

Man, good times...

http://kotaku.com/5222537/tomorrow-eidos-is-square-enixs

JCD
23rd Apr 2009, 04:46
Is it me or do a lot of people in this forum believe that Square Enix merging with Eidos, will "utterly ruin" DX3?

If that is the case, where are these people based on? Square Enix has the Final Fantasy series, one of the best seen in gaming history. How can that be bad? If these people get involved in DX3's script/art, I can't imagine the result being sth wrong...

GmanPro
23rd Apr 2009, 05:17
...the Final Fantasy series, one of the best seen in gaming history

HA!

Jerion
23rd Apr 2009, 05:51
I don't think there will be negative influences on DX 3 from the Square Enix acquisition of Eidos. I base this on two things:

1) During my visit, I gathered that SE does not seem to have an agenda to interfere with operations at the Eidos Montréal studio. My trip info IS a month out of date, but I doubt a lot has changed on that front.

2) It generally takes 7 years for a new CEO to exert complete influence over a company, so I think that while Eidos might not look the same 7 years from now, the current Eidos culture, especially the Montréal studio's culture, is going to last the development of DX3 and beyond.

Unstoppable
23rd Apr 2009, 08:31
I see the acquisition as a good thing. I hope that maybe Square gets into developing some Thief and Hitman games of a different variety who knows. Maybe a Thief RPG or a Hitman RPG game. Lets see if they are able to use the ips to their full potential while not screwing them up.

lightbringerrr
3rd May 2009, 08:33
In the second game however, that was lost. I remember most things thathappened in it but they did not strike a chord anywhere. It did not have that certain factor that makes it memorable.

I just realized that aside from feeling like there weren't any REAL ramifications from the "choices" offered the character of Alex, DXIW was a VERY claustrophobic game. There was no sense of expansiveness that was so prevalent in the first game. In fact, I think the Mosque was the largest "enclosed area" and Liberty Island had the most room to roam about.
Environments and the proper use of color contrasts absolutely make or break a game like DX, and IW was kind of like roaming around a "Green Matrix City" for 30+ hours.

JCD
5th May 2009, 09:15
HA!
oh no....

if you don't see the art form the FF scenarios have, then I can't help you :rasp: