PDA

View Full Version : Name Suggestions

Pages : 1 [2]

WhatsHisFace
4th Feb 2009, 16:48
BG2 took place in the country of Amn, and the shadows part worked well because it referred to to the dark and shadowy parts of the place. Major parts of the game have you dealing with the Shadow Thieves or Vampires, and at one point you go to the Underdark and epic adventure ensues.

What about Star Wars. You think it is enough to just call them Episode I - VI ??

Thief:
-The Dark Project
-The Metal Age
-Deadly Shadows

Neverwinter Nights:
-Shadows of Undrentide
-Hordes of the Underdark

Neverwinter Nights 2:
-Mask of the Betrayer
-Storm of Zehir

(It would be mega fail if they just called them NWN - expansion pack 1 and 2 etc)

Prince of Persia:
-Sands of Time
-Warrior Within
-Two Thrones

Dawn of War:
-Winter Assault
-Dark Crusade
-Soulstorm

You get the point. The subtitle doesn't need to just be the location for it to be good.

Oh and go play Baldur's Gate
Those are all stupid. Even Thief's. And that kills me to say it, because I hold Thief in very high regard.

Expansions can have subtitles, but on a sequel it's just stupid.

GmanPro
4th Feb 2009, 17:13
Dude, maybe Deadly Shadows, but Dark Project and Metal age very much had to do with the story and are great subtitles. I love the Metal Age, such a great game...

If all you are going to say is that subtitles are stupid, then you are just ignoring the fact that they CAN be good. All in an effort to save face.

Deus Ex 3: *insert cool subtitle* = Win :thumb:

Deus Ex 3 colon video game for home entertainment systems :whistle:

Spyhopping
4th Feb 2009, 17:19
Subtitles can be cool but they are too often really cheesy.

I'm not so sure about Deus ex 3 colon though, mate.......

GmanPro
4th Feb 2009, 18:46
^^ Good lord, you're right! It should say ... " " " " video game for PC's :rasp:

payne
11th Feb 2009, 22:13
watch out this name suggestion.

deus (s)ex 3some:)

Ashpolt
20th Feb 2009, 12:36
OK, excuse me if this has been posted before (I'm at work, not got time to read all 11 pages!) but wouldn't an obvious (and great) name be:

Deus Ex: Machina

It's the origin of the name, it fits in with the mechanical augs, it sounds great...I think it'd be a great name, personally.

Also, it means (as I'm sure most of you know) "God out of a machine" - so if Adam is going to get some degree of massive power from the augs (as I'm sure he will) then it's perfect.

Also gives them an excuse to write really cheap get-outs in hopeless situations. If I were a more critical man I would mention multi-kill augs here...ah, just did. :P

Alternatively, to make it appeal to the 4chan crowd, you could call it Desu Ex. :P

JCD
21st Feb 2009, 22:27
I remember suggesting Deus Ex: Initium (or Deus Ex 3: Initium if you prefer it that way), but I can understand the need for a more "catchy" title, which will also suggest that this is the 3rd game of the genre...

I really can't think of anything really "strong" right now...but let's discuss about the "3":

- Many games use numbers in sequels/prequels, even without a subtitle. Examples: Diablo III, Unreal Tournament III, Quake IV, Doom III, Fallout 3, etc. All these are highly succesful titles ;)

- We could use the 1337 version ( D3us 3x ), which could be nice but:

a) I remember DRIV3R and it's AWFUL
b) It's definitely NOT catchy, many people will call it D-three-U.S. - 3-X :lol:

- We could use the 3E symbol, but still it will make people confused.

---

Generally, I believe that if the devs decide NOT to use the 3, they shouldn't use a subtitle. Deus Ex - period.

If they do decide to use it, then they have the 2 solutions:

1) Deus Ex 3
2) Deus Ex 3: Catchy Subtitle, like Deus Ex 3: Origins for example.

:)

jamhaw
22nd Feb 2009, 01:07
It should be Deus Ex: Catchy subtitle like the other game in the series.

Romeo
23rd Feb 2009, 04:40
Deus Ex 3: Visibly Peaceful.
Deus Ex 3: Super Happy Fun Time.
Deus Ex 3: Estonian Regional Eradication of Cats Theatre. AKA, Deus Ex 3: ERECT.

WhatsHisFace
23rd Feb 2009, 20:05
"Biomod Begins." Worked for Batman.

Romeo
28th Feb 2009, 06:21
"Biomod Begins." Worked for Batman.
I will give you credit, that actually is pretty funny. But then the next one would have to be "Dark Shades Knight".

Lady_Of_The_Vine
1st Mar 2009, 14:59
OMG, 'Dark Shades Knight' is funny! :D

Jerion
1st Mar 2009, 15:18
Silliness aside, I'm working with this:

Deus Ex: Vindication

It's too akward, but I'm working with it to make it better.

WhatsHisFace
1st Mar 2009, 22:53
Silliness aside, I'm working with this:

Deus Ex: Vindication

It's too akward, but I'm working with it to make it better.
Vindication for what though? The crap that was Invisible War? :D I don't think a third-person game where you smash through walls will vindicate that mess either.

I'm running with: "Deus Ex: At Least There's Not Unified Ammo... :( "

And yes, the "sadface" will be part of the title.

Bio Denton
2nd Mar 2009, 04:27
Well if F.E.A.R. had not taken it, "Deus Ex: Origins" would have been alright.

Jerion
2nd Mar 2009, 05:19
Vindication for what though? The crap that was Invisible War? :D I don't think a third-person game where you smash through walls will vindicate that mess either.

I'm running with: "Deus Ex: At Least There's Not Unified Ammo... :( "

And yes, the "sadface" will be part of the title.

You just don't let up, do you?

Romeo
2nd Mar 2009, 05:37
Still though, I will give him credit on the Batman reference, you can't deny the ingenuity in that post. lol

Lady_Of_The_Vine
10th Mar 2009, 16:57
True, its clever-funny. :D

K^2
4th Jun 2009, 02:40
Given the most recent news, or rather lack thereof, I think there is only one possibility for the title now.

Deus Ex: Forever

Jerion
4th Jun 2009, 03:36
Given the most recent news, or rather lack thereof, I think there is only one possibility for the title now.

Deus Ex: Forever

:lol:

I wouldn't go that far. But...

DevBlog: Forever (from here on out to be referred to as DBF)

OuttaZyme
4th Jun 2009, 07:17
Deus Ex: Renéssance

"The choice of a new regeneration."

;)

Igoe
4th Jun 2009, 07:58
This whole issue may get a tad weird because they have officially sanctioned merchandise with "Deus Ex 3" on it.

So.....if nothing else it has to be Deus Ex 3: Subtitle.

OR that means EM doesn't care about the long run, and will make a quick buck on whatever the current state dictates....which I personally believe they wouldn't do.

I'd get used to the whole "Deus Ex 3" deal, one way or another....

itsalladream
4th Jun 2009, 12:55
Deus Ex 3: Adam & Friends

SageSavage
4th Jun 2009, 13:04
Deus Ex 4 - Adam's Family

Ashpolt
4th Jun 2009, 13:14
Deus Ex 3 - Carry On Jensen

Apologies to anyone not English. :P

3nails4you
4th Jun 2009, 16:20
Hrm. It IS a prequel...

Deus Ex 0? :D

FrankCSIS
4th Jun 2009, 22:23
UNATCO Begins?

=P

WhatsHisFace
5th Jun 2009, 04:00
Deus Ex 3: Modern Warfare 2.

serrath
5th Jun 2009, 05:59
Hmm... Given their history in working with names at EM it's probably look more like
DEUS EX 3: 0R1G1N5

God, I'd hate to see their kids named 573V3 and R4CH3L...
(Just joshin' ya guys, I never played any of the Thiaf games to begin with, so I got no beef wit' ya.)

Blade_hunter
5th Jun 2009, 20:15
Deus Ex: Vegas 3 :rasp:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
8th Jun 2009, 08:46
I'm pretty certain it will just be "DEUS EX 3".

That's it. Nice and clean. :thumb: :cool:

serrath
9th Jun 2009, 03:24
Wait, you mean we're stuck with "Deus Ex 3" and "THI4F"? We won't even get a snazzy little post-title to call them when we're fed up with pronouncing "thee-aff"?

Irate_Iguana
9th Jun 2009, 06:42
I like Thiaf. It is almost the same as Thialf (a famous speedskating arena). Hopefully we'll be able to skate in Thi4f.

Lo Bruto
9th Jun 2009, 06:57
Deus Ex 3 : Mechanical warfare 2

Ashpolt
9th Jun 2009, 08:26
Let's have Deus Ex 4 set during the industrial revolution, and have it called:

D345 3x four: 1NDU57RY (45 4 WH0L3) 3V0LV3D

No, they're never going to live that down.

And yes, I'm aware that in order to stick with naming conventions, I should've replaced e with 4, not 3. :P

Lady_Of_The_Vine
10th Jun 2009, 07:32
No, they're never going to live that down.

Probably not. :D
But do you know what, I'm pretty sure they won't give a greasel, so long as the game rocks our socks off.
That's all that really matters... well, its the only thing that is important to me anyway. :)

Daedalus Ciarán
10th Jun 2009, 12:54
Deus Ex Machina still seems like the best title I've heard for the game. Everything else is just kinda generic. And Deus Ex 3 would make more sense if it was a sequel, and in a series of games which utilised numbers to distinguish between themselves. But they don't, they use subtitles and it's a prequel. Which makes it a poor title.

What about Deus Ex: Eden? Since it fits with Adam's name, and it's about the birth of the new human race which theologically began in Eden according to the bible. Or Deus Ex: Ragnarok since the game heralds the end of the entirely biological created human race? You could use Armageddon or Apocalypse as well. Though Armageddon specifically refers to the war between angels and demons and god and satan over the human race. Which would work if the game's central conflict is between science and religion or science and nature. Or simply science and god. You could change the meaning of the Armageddon to fit into that new 'war' between science and god quite easily.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
10th Jun 2009, 14:14
What about Deus Ex: Eden?

I actually like that, a LOT. :cool:
It would also be fitting if Adam's love-interest is called Eve too. :)

Ashpolt
10th Jun 2009, 14:30
Deus Ex Machina still seems like the best title I've heard for the game. Everything else is just kinda generic.

Thank you! I think you're the first person to respond to that suggestion. Either that or my memory is going in my old age.

What about Deus Ex: Eden?

Do you mean Deus Ex: 3d3n? If so, pitch it to EM! You'll probably get it!

Sabretooth1
10th Jun 2009, 14:58
Or Deus Ex: Ragnarok since the game heralds the end of the entirely biological created human race?

Most likely not, the relation is too loose, and I think more importantly, the name will conflict with Ragnarok Online. The lawyers wouldn't clear it.

I agree that Deus Ex Machina sounds the best, not so much with Eden, but Machina is good. I'd expect the title would have some sort of Renaissance/Biological wordplay in it.

Irate_Iguana
10th Jun 2009, 15:04

Don't tell me they are adding in a romance sub-plot. Those things always feel forced and lame. I haven't played a single game that featured such a plot that didn't make me cringe upon reading the lines. And let's not forget the inevitable "tragic" death of the love interest.

Do you mean Deus Ex: 3d3n? If so, pitch it to EM! You'll probably get it!

You have to keep in mind the EM language. It would have to be Deus Ex: 4d4n.

Sabretooth1
10th Jun 2009, 15:17
Don't tell me they are adding in a romance sub-plot. Those things always feel forced and lame. I haven't played a single game that featured such a plot that didn't make me cringe upon reading the lines. And let's not forget the inevitable "tragic" death of the love interest.

I'd pitch Grim Fandango, it was perhaps the love story ever created in a video game, and it didn't even have the tragic death part! :O

Lady_Of_The_Vine
10th Jun 2009, 17:04

I'm not telling you anything, I'm only offering up ideas that might happen. Having said that, why does 'love interest' make you think 'cheesy romance'? :D
If there are main female characters in the game, I expect they will play very important roles. So, watch your back! :p

LatwPIAT
10th Jun 2009, 17:18

You know, with a biblical name like that, the chance is uncannily high, in which case I hope the developers understand what the words "open-ended" "cliché" and "anvilicious" means. Meanwhile, I'll ally with whoever Eve isn't allied with and killer her first chance possible.

I'll also ally with the "snake" faction, kill the guy named Cain, do absolutely everything the God-like guy tells me to without doubt and drown Noah the Russian sailor in his own vodka.

SageSavage
10th Jun 2009, 17:27
Having said that, why does 'love interest' make you think 'cheesy romance'? :D

Because that is what usually happens when nerdy devs try to put a love interest into a game.

KSingh77
10th Jun 2009, 17:29
It worked for Mass Effect,would it work for Deus Ex 3?

itsalladream
11th Jun 2009, 02:40
Maybe I've been being absolutely dense, but I never thought about the significance of the name Adam, as if he were the beginning of a new race of people, the nano-augs, created by people, thus putting us in the position of God, in the creation of this new race.

PlasmaSnake101
11th Jun 2009, 02:55
D3US 3X: Combat Evolved

or

Deus Ex: All Grown Up

Irate_Iguana
11th Jun 2009, 07:06
Having said that, why does 'love interest' make you think 'cheesy romance'? :D

Because most games tend to hang together from really really bad clichés. Almost all characters tend to hang together from bad archetypes. That leads to predictable and cheesy standard romance subplots. I've yet to see it done well.

Another thing is that I'm playing these games for the cyberpunk and the conspiracies and not because of the romantic comedy/drama. More often than not it detracts from the actual story or feels like a really forced part.

If there are main female characters in the game, I expect they will play very important roles. So, watch your back! :p

I'm sure of it. I wasn't trying to be misogynistic with it, I just hate most romance plots.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
11th Jun 2009, 09:23
Well, I did say 'if' and 'love interest', I was not suggesting a full-blown romance plot. So let's not worry ourselves too much over this.
It was just fun to blend the game title suggestion of "Eden" with Adam and Eve.

You know, with a biblical name like that, the chance is uncannily high....

Yes, that's what I'm thinking. :)

Daedalus Ciarán
11th Jun 2009, 09:52
I'll ally with whoever Eve isn't allied with and killer her first chance possible.

I'll also ally with the "snake" faction, kill the guy named Cain, do absolutely everything the God-like guy tells me to without doubt and drown Noah the Russian sailor in his own vodka.

:D I like it!

serrath
11th Jun 2009, 16:00
Screw Eve, where's Lilith? Eve was a friggin' pushover.

Zazz Blamymatazz
23rd Jun 2009, 09:10
I don't ever want this great game to not have deus ex in the title

but the title also need's to be Zazzy

Deus Ex :Genesis

Daedalus Ciarán
23rd Jun 2009, 12:34
The most popular ones seem to be:

Deus Ex 3
Deus Ex Machina
Deus Ex: Eden
Deus Ex Origins
Deus Ex: Renaissance
Deus Ex: Exordium

I would make a poll but I don't think there's any need really.

VicMackey
23rd Jun 2009, 12:50
Any name that doesn't have "Deus Ex" in the title gets my vote.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
23rd Jun 2009, 13:50
"Deus Ex: Eden" gets my vote. :thumb:
Simply because of the Adam and Eve twist. ;)

WhatsHisFace
23rd Jun 2009, 14:32
"SnowBlind: The Remake"

Ashpolt
23rd Jun 2009, 14:44
You know what? In all seriousness, if this game was renamed "Operation Snowblind: Mission Zero" or something like that, I would have no problem with it.

VicMackey
23rd Jun 2009, 14:51
I don't imagine anyone would. I'd think maybe Snowblind fans would take offense, but I don't think those exist.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
23rd Jun 2009, 15:02
I prefer to set my expectations much higher than all of yours. :p

Absentia
23rd Jun 2009, 16:14
'Origins' as a subtitle actually belongs to a bad Silent Hill PSP game.

Deus Ex: Transient Power

gamer0004
23rd Jun 2009, 17:18
Deus Ex: Bull ****. You get the Barret reference?

Blade_hunter
23rd Jun 2009, 18:38
there is some Snowblind fans but they are in great majority console gamers ...

WhatsHisFace
24th Jun 2009, 02:21
Maybe we should learn about the story a bit more before settling on a title.

K^2
24th Jun 2009, 02:32
That be nice. I'm all in favor of learning something new about the game. So after sunset, then? I'll bring the hooks, you bring the rope. Story boards and concept art only. Take the pictures of anything you find, and we'll sort through them later.

WhatsHisFace
24th Jun 2009, 02:34
So far it just looks like Adam picking up an octo-rocket launcher and mowing down tons of "enemies".

BlazeL
24th Jun 2009, 10:39
So far it just looks like Adam picking up an octo-rocket launcher and mowing down tons of "enemies".

Is the game's setting finally changed to an exotic, tropical planet with four armed inhabitants?

K^2
24th Jun 2009, 12:40
They went with a compromise - mediterranian climate and three-armed inhabitants. I'm happy to see that the developers are ready to meet fans half-way.

Ninjerk
24th Jun 2009, 14:36
I prefer to set my expectations much higher than all of yours. :p

lol what?

Absentia
24th Jun 2009, 14:59
The reason our expectations are so low is because we made the mistake of having them far too high...

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Jun 2009, 18:31
lol what?

lol what?
I don't want a Snowblind. Do you? :p

KSingh77
24th Jun 2009, 18:44
Deus Ex:Blinded by the snow

FrankCSIS
24th Jun 2009, 18:58
Deus Ex:Blinded by the snow

Snow fell like ash from post-apocalyptic skies, but that was outside. Things would soon get hot in the Don's restaurant.

Wait, that's another game I have in mind...

SageSavage
24th Jun 2009, 19:00
Impossible to imagine that with a different voice.

WhatsHisFace
24th Jun 2009, 20:01
lol what?

Well that's what we're getting.

Is the game's setting finally changed to an exotic, tropical planet with four armed inhabitants?

Maybe we can get Deus Cry!!!

http://www.upixs.com/70/ne7dJ/1133.jpg

Ashpolt
26th Jun 2009, 08:39
Inspired by part of Igoe's (brilliant) post here, (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1039789&postcount=373) I would like to propose that the game be called Deus Ex 3: herp derp. (Lack of capitalisation on the subtitle is vital.) Perfect.

Ninjerk
26th Jun 2009, 15:14
lol what?

I didn't play it, but I'm pretty sure I don't. I don't praise what are in my opinion questionable design decisions, either.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
26th Jun 2009, 16:59
I didn't play it, but I'm pretty sure I don't. I don't praise what are in my opinion questionable design decisions, either.

Sorry, I'm not quite getting your last sentence, is that addressed to me? Only I was saying my expectations were high, that's all. :)

Ninjerk
27th Jun 2009, 21:00
To put it bluntly, I think you're too optimistic.

PlasmaSnake101
27th Jun 2009, 21:16
Can we put the following in the FAQ or site introduction, possibly big bold letters on the front page.

Moderator MyImmortal is an optimist, no need to suddenly reveal it like a bad episode of Psych after going over all the evidence. I can only read the sky is blue so many times! :mad2:

Archy
28th Jun 2009, 01:31
Deus Ex: Beginnings.

Huh? Well? Huh-huh? :D

Blade_hunter
28th Jun 2009, 02:04
Personally Deus Ex seems to gave some inspiration to far cry for the gameplay except the fact the automatic weapons worked better in far cry than Deus Ex even if Far cry was only focused on gun fights, the stealth can be used in the same way even if Deus Ex allowed to rely completely on stealth
There is a change function key who worked like the change ammo for the assault rifles with an underbarrel grenade launcher.

Personally I prefer the combat in far cry than the one from snowblind.
The guns have recoil, the vehicles aren't a complete shield and are in first person view when we drive them and the soldiers were more intelligent.
Both games allow us to throw grenades when we have a weapon in hand
Snowblind have funnier weapons even if some of them were a bit strange or have overpowered effects like the pistol who fires a fire ball ...
They share some bad common points even if it wasn't related to combat like the checkpoints for the saves ...

Since Deus Ex 3 wouldn't be called combat evolved, or something like that .... if somebody see what I mean by that ...

Lady_Of_The_Vine
8th Jul 2009, 18:36
To put it bluntly, I think you're too optimistic.

That's perfectly fine for you to think that, it isn't blunt.
Though I don't think I am too optimistic, just not overly pessimistic. I'd say I have a balanced point of view, until such time that evidence tips my scales one way or another.

"Deus Ex: Eden" still gets my vote. :D

BlazeL
8th Jul 2009, 23:26
I just got some awesum, original&uniq idea:

Deus Ex 3.0 - it sounds so cyber, cyber like cyberpunk ya know!! And the zero has a hidden, secrit symbolic meaning: it's the third DX, but a prequel, too!!!! Whoooo! By the way: Deus Ex 03!!!!! Now thats it! So cooooooool isn't it? Or even better: Deus Ex 003! Let's roll further in this direction for the ultimate one!!! Deus Ex 000 !!!!! YAAAY!!
And some suggestions if the game will be bad: Deus Ex 00. Or DeuSucks.

---------------------------------------

Sorry for the stupidity. I'm stopping here.
[In fact, I'm going with the pure 'Deus Ex 3', if this game should be named Deus Ex after all. ;)]

Ninjerk
9th Jul 2009, 03:53
Can we put the following in the FAQ or site introduction, possibly big bold letters on the front page.

Moderator MyImmortal is an optimist, no need to suddenly reveal it like a bad episode of Psych after going over all the evidence. I can only read the sky is blue so many times! :mad2:

lol. My bad.

WhatsHisFace
9th Jul 2009, 04:35
Final Fantasy: Deus Ex Gaiden MXVCXIII: Humoshugi no Kawashi.

TrickyVein
13th Jul 2009, 20:31
Deus en machina?

Deus ex: Rise of the machines

K^2
13th Jul 2009, 20:48
Final Fantasy: Deus Ex Gaiden MXVCXIII: Humoshugi no Kawashi.
You seem to have some confusion over how Roman numerals are formed.

Archy
19th Jul 2009, 04:59
Deus Ex: Forever.

Ninjerk
19th Jul 2009, 17:16
Deus Ex: Xtreme

K^2
19th Jul 2009, 17:23
Deus Ex: Xtreme

That's not how you market a name like this. You go with something really cheesy. For example.

DeusXtreme

Now that's going to sell itself.

gamer0004
19th Jul 2009, 18:28
That's not how you market a name like this. You go with something really cheesy. For example.

DeusXtreme

Wow, thanks K^2. Now EM got an even better idea than thi4f.

KSingh77
19th Jul 2009, 18:50
Des Ex in the shell

Malah
19th Jul 2009, 19:09

DeusXtreme

http://xs841.xs.to/xs841/09290/untitled840.png

Irate_Iguana
19th Jul 2009, 19:41
Give the My Little Pony spikey hair and a huge axe and I'm sold.

ArcR
19th Jul 2009, 22:11

DeusXtreme

Damn K^2 that's sharp. Do that for a living? If I need to market a product I'll swing it by you. 5% of the net.

Blade_hunter
19th Jul 2009, 22:31
There is

DeusXthree

the malah picture is funny if it isn't true http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/sally/lol.gif

mad_red
19th Jul 2009, 22:55
There is

DeusXthree

Which leads to the inevitable:

DeusXXX

K^2
20th Jul 2009, 13:53
Uhu. And with cameo by Vin Diesel.

Sometimes I worry that we are giving these guys ideas.

Blade_hunter
20th Jul 2009, 14:23
Me too but sometimes they happen without saying anything ...