PDA

View Full Version : Something I Never Understood From DX1

Grant_Weaver
20th Jan 2008, 03:54
Daedalus: Incorrect inform -- ps -al : attach. Streets clear. No danger.

First time I got the message, I figured that Daedalus had been somehow compromised, later figured it was the beginning of Icarus's attack. But later Daedalus seems fine, helping you get in contact with the Illuminati, something I don't think Page would want? Was it just a temporary compromise?

Papy
20th Jan 2008, 04:56
Hmmm... I could be wrong, but wasn't this Daedalus hacking the security of UNATCO and sending a false information to the troops so they stop looking for you?

Grant_Weaver
20th Jan 2008, 06:25
Hmm, I never looked at it that way, but I don't think that's correct. If I remember correctly, Jock drops you off on top of the Ton hotel, and you're told (by either Jock or Daedalus, can't remember), that the streets are teeming with UNATCO security. A few moments later as you descend, you get the message I originally posted, as if you are being corrected. The audio really makes it sound like Daedalus is being tampered with.

By the way, what do you think the missing letters are?

Aliera42
20th Jan 2008, 08:53
They aren't missing letters, it's a unix reference. I saw this a while back in an interview:

DeusEx-Machina: A frequently asked and much speculated question pertains to the Daedalus message the player receives when going back to Hell's Kitchen the 3rd time. Daedalus contacts JC through the infolink and says "Incorrect inform -- ps -cl attach. Streets clear. No danger." What does this mean? (Sounds unix-y...)

Sheldon Pacotti: Yeah, that's a geeky Unix allusion. "ps -al |". "ps" lists all currently running processes and "|" "pipes" the output of that command into another process, not specified. Looks like there's a typo in my conversation file. I have "||" instead of "|". Not sure if that ended up in the game or not. I'm a little fuzzy on the command-line options for ps. I know the "a" lists *all* running processes. I think the "l" creates a longer report -- but it's been years since I worked on a Unix machine.

http://www.deusex-machina.com/articles/makingofdeusex.asp

you're welcome :D

Grant_Weaver
20th Jan 2008, 19:11
Awesome, thanks.

Is Daedalus talking on his own though, or has he been compromised?

minus0ne
21st Jan 2008, 21:52
Awesome, thanks.

Is Daedalus talking on his own though, or has he been compromised?
I've always been under the impression that he's being hacked by Icarus, temporarily causing him to mislead you. However, the hacking triggers the merging of both into Helios (whether accidentally or not I don't know), possibly creating an even 'better' AI (in spite of Icarus' programming). Helios is in essence Daedalus' reasoning and intelligence (which, we can only gather, makes him sympathise with the repressed) combined with Icarus' objectives and networking capabilities (to administer the world). In other words, Page's creation turning on him (and/or Daedalus defeating the 'nasty' part in Icarus' programming while absorbing its capabilities).

G.A.Pster
28th Jan 2008, 02:45
-I've always been under the impression that he's being hacked by Icarus, temporarily causing him to mislead you.-

That's what I thought too.

jd10013
28th Jan 2008, 02:50
Another thing I've always wondered about was, when your talking to Simmons in the lounge after the airfield mission; if you keep asking questions Simmons will say " Your beginning to exceed your clearance. what do you Angle O/A?"

has anybody ever figured out exactly what angel O/A was?

ThatDeadDude
28th Jan 2008, 08:42
IIRC Angel O/A is just a clearance level. Don't know if it's real or just in-world.

Nathan2000
28th Jan 2008, 10:36
Yeah, it's one of nine security clearances above top secret, used by UNATCO and MJ12. They're all named after Pseudo-Dionysian angelic orders.

One more thing, the clearance's name is "Angel/0A" (0 is zero, it's just pronounced "oh").

Angel/0A
28th Jan 2008, 22:34
The known security levels are:

Angel/0A
Archangel/1B
Principal/2C
Domination/5F
Throne/6G
Seraphic/8X
http://nuwen.net/dx.html#annotated

Other textual bits in the game use some of the clearances, but JC reads them all anyway. :P

jd10013
28th Jan 2008, 22:38
there is also GOD. when you find Paul at his apartment after his kill switch had been activated, you ask him how it works. Paul tells you that you need to have god Clarence to know how it works.

Tracer Tong
29th Jan 2008, 13:38
there is also GOD. when you find Paul at his apartment after his kill switch had been activated, you ask him how it works. Paul tells you that you need to have god Clarence to know how it works.

That was just a figure of speech for a very high clearance level that he doesn't know about. I really hope you were joking.

gamer0004
29th Jan 2008, 14:33
Well, people who have examined it don't want to say anything conclusive about that, although they THINK it is actually a nick-name for the highest security grade.

jd10013
29th Jan 2008, 20:19
That was just a figure of speech for a very high clearance level that he doesn't know about. I really hope you were joking.

there's no reason to think he wasn't serious, or that there isn't one. angle, saraph.............god would be the natural top. something Simons, Page and people like that would have.

minus0ne
30th Jan 2008, 00:55
there's no reason to think he wasn't serious, or that there isn't one. angle, saraph.............god would be the natural top. something Simons, Page and people like that would have.
Actually there is. If you actually listen to Paul's intonation when he says that, you'll hear he says it in a hyperbolic manner. In addition, Dowd literally says that Page named MJ12's clearance levels after angels.

Boiny Bunny
7th Feb 2008, 10:07
But Page doesn't quite fit into the MJ12 Hierarchy - he is the absolute dictator.

He is 'God' - he seems to quite like the idea that he is a god and often makes references to becoming one, so I think his ego in game shows that this is quite a possible clearence level for him, invented by himself.