PDA

View Full Version : Square Enix Acquiring Eidos / Re: Eidos' restructuring

Pages : [1] 2

Rosenrot
19th Jan 2008, 08:18
"Eidos parent chief Jane Cavanagh resigns after buyout talks crumble and major title delays, shares spike after replacement publicly named."
Source : http://www.gamespot.com/news/6184858.html?tag=latestnews;title;4
Sounds bad.. if Eidos goes down so does Deus Ex 3! :(!!!!

AgnosticJive
19th Jan 2008, 09:03
CEOs come and go all the time, it also almost never results in a company being closed or anything. All it means is a different name getting a massive pay check for doing very little.

Rosenrot
19th Jan 2008, 10:31
CEOs come and go all the time, it also almost never results in a company being closed or anything. All it means is a different name getting a massive pay check for doing very little.Their stocks are at an all time low. And the whole top management team has been shuffled. I think that sounds pretty bad.

minus0ne
19th Jan 2008, 17:51
Their stocks are at an all time low. And the whole top management team has been shuffled. I think that sounds pretty bad.
Not if you consider the state of the economy (US in particular, but it's reverberating throughout the world). When the purchasing power goes down, even the entertainment sector suffers.

Papy
19th Jan 2008, 23:50
CEOs come and go all the time, it also almost never results in a company being closed or anything. All it means is a different name getting a massive pay check for doing very little.
Because of the circumstances, A new CEO will probably mean a change in the orientation of the company and it could seriously affect the development of Deus Ex 3. For example, it could mean the termination of the PC version or to shorten considerably the release schedule in order to get money as soon as possible.

It certainly does look bad, and everything we heard about Deus Ex may now be changed.

SageSavage
20th Jan 2008, 00:46
I think this is nothing but speculation. We'll see what happens but right now there's nothing to cry about.

Papy
20th Jan 2008, 01:00
Of course this is speculation... But at that point everything we assume about Deus Ex 3 is mostly speculation anyway. Would you say there's nothing to be excited about?

SageSavage
20th Jan 2008, 01:21
No, I wouldn't but that's another story and doesn't envolve the panic that I think is emerging with this thread. Personally I think this won't affect the development of DX3. At least I think it was a wise decision not to sell SCi/Eidos to something like EA. This would have been something we'd have to worry about much more.

I predict that their stocks will rise very soon.

Papy
20th Jan 2008, 06:02
The CEO had to resign because, indirectly, she didn't sell the company. Of course, now that she's gone, people might hope for someone else to sell it and so their stock might rise a bit again. But from what I read, the company has a serious cash flow problem and even if there stock price go back to what it was at the end of December, it won't solve that problem.

Anyway even if the company can survive on its own without being sold to someone else, do you really think the investors asked the CEO to step down to replace her with someone who would follow the exact same politics?

SageSavage
20th Jan 2008, 11:02
Answering this envolves way too many speculations. Sometimes a CEO did nothing wrong but needs to go simply for the sake of a symbolic change. This is the freaky world of the stock markets. But than again everything could change dramatically with a new CEO as well. All I have read about this topic were the two Gamespot articles about it which is nothing to base a further discussion on. If you know something else, share it please.

jordan_a
20th Jan 2008, 11:07
Because of the circumstances, A new CEO will probably mean a change in the orientation of the company and it could seriously affect the development of Deus Ex 3. For example, it could mean the termination of the PC version or to shorten considerably the release schedule in order to get money as soon as possible.That's a good point.

Papy
21st Jan 2008, 00:55
If you know something else, share it please.
Among other things, this article (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=32222) .

AaronJ
21st Jan 2008, 02:02
I'm ignoring this topic, everyone in it, and undergoing extensive surgery to erase the last 5 minutes of my memory.

SageSavage
21st Jan 2008, 05:40
The company's Hitman, Lara Croft and Kane & Lynch assets are worth a lot, and even older franchises like Deus Ex and Thief still have some value.

SCi Entertainment is expected to announce the results of its internal review to shareholders in February.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=32247

But yeah... it does indeed sound more serious than I initially thought. However, I am still for not speculating until they tell something about their actual plans.

gamer0004
22nd Jan 2008, 20:37
I sure hope nothing is going to change... When there's going to be a single one change of policy or managers, I'll commit suicide :P
Seriously, I think the current team is as good as you can get for a game like DX3.

AaronJ
23rd Jan 2008, 01:06
Okay I cannot ignore this.

Unless Eidos truly does not know how to sell a game, they will never release Deus Ex 3 as an exclusive console game because it would fail miserably. At the very worst, the game should be PC exclusive, which isn't bad at all.

Papy
23rd Jan 2008, 01:48
they will never release Deus Ex 3 as an exclusive console game because it would fail miserably.
Yeah, because all console exclusive do fail miserably.

Unstoppable
23rd Jan 2008, 04:05
Okay I cannot ignore this.

Unless Eidos truly does not know how to sell a game, they will never release Deus Ex 3 as an exclusive console game because it would fail miserably. At the very worst, the game should be PC exclusive, which isn't bad at all.

Console games sell tons more than PC games. One valid point in your analysis is that Deus Ex was a PC game first, but it was ported to the PS 2 lest we forget.

There is no reason why a simouteanous release to Xbox 360 and PS 3 would NOT benefit Deus Ex 3.

Invisible War's failures were not a direct result of the Xbox. For a factual account check my profile posts and see the research for yourself. Invisible War failed because of the engine they chose and because Spector was not leading the project, rather Harvey Smith was. His last two projects have been failures.

To conclude, releasing it on consoles can only benefit sales of DX 3 and it will definately be a wise choice. It should be a PC port in my opinion though.;)

By the way Eidos Montreal has already stated that Deus Ex 3 will be a PC game a long with a next gen game. Do not fear.

AaronJ
23rd Jan 2008, 17:14
IWar was dumbed down for consoles, so it sucked on PC.

JulianP
23rd Jan 2008, 20:22
There is no reason why a simouteanous release to Xbox 360 and PS 3 would NOT benefit Deus Ex 3.

Invisible War's failures were not a direct result of the Xbox. For a factual account check my profile posts and see the research for yourself. Invisible War failed because of the engine they chose and because Spector was not leading the project, rather Harvey Smith was. His last two projects have been failures.

IW failed because they wanted to appeal to a wider (read: console) audience. Many current-gen games have also been ruined by that sort of thinking. I'm afraid this is exactly why making DX3 a multiplatform game would NOT benefit it in any way except for sales. And true, they did have a bad engine, but I still think that the technical limitations of the Xbox were also an issue. That at least isn't a problem these days.

WildcatPhoenix
23rd Jan 2008, 22:20
Have you played Knights of the Old Republic? These games are very similar to Deus Ex as a mixture of RPG/FPS and were extremely well done on both the PC and platforms. I would also point to Mass Effect, which is a console exclusive but manages to be very successful (granted, both KotOR and Mass Effect are BioWare games).

Call of Duty 4 is another excellent game on both PC and consoles. It doesn't have anywhere near the style or depth of Deus Ex, but building it for console compatibility did nothing to limit the game.

I'm a PC purist at heart, but I just don't see how making the game for the 360/PS3/Wii is going to kill the franchise. I just don't.

-Wildcat

AaronJ
24th Jan 2008, 01:39
It would. DX is PC. That's it.

Not to mention that locks in the answer to the SDK question. It's a bundle of mistakes. They'd never ever do that anyway.

Papy
24th Jan 2008, 05:18
but I still think that the technical limitations of the Xbox were also an issue. That at least isn't a problem these days.
So you think there is no more technical limitations with computers and consoles, and developers can do whatever they want? As I said in another thread, Ultima Underworld had bigger levels than IW. Do you really think it's because a 25 MHz 386 had less limitations than a 733 MHz P3?

JulianP
24th Jan 2008, 19:39
Have you played Knights of the Old Republic? These games are very similar to Deus Ex as a mixture of RPG/FPS and were extremely well done on both the PC and platforms. I would also point to Mass Effect, which is a console exclusive but manages to be very successful (granted, both KotOR and Mass Effect are BioWare games).

Call of Duty 4 is another excellent game on both PC and consoles. It doesn't have anywhere near the style or depth of Deus Ex, but building it for console compatibility did nothing to limit the game.

I'm a PC purist at heart, but I just don't see how making the game for the 360/PS3/Wii is going to kill the franchise. I just don't.

-Wildcat
KotOR is an excellent example of how a game can work very well on multiple platforms. The point is that developing a game for multiple platforms doesn't benefit the game in any way, like someone here said.

So you think there is no more technical limitations with computers and consoles, and developers can do whatever they want? As I said in another thread, Ultima Underworld had bigger levels than IW. Do you really think it's because a 25 MHz 386 had less limitations than a 733 MHz P3?
I was saying that the technical limitations of the Xbox were holding back the PC version.

Papy
24th Jan 2008, 23:30
I was saying that the technical limitations of the Xbox were holding back the PC version.
An modern PC is already significantly more powerful than an X-Box 360 or a PS3. In a year and a half, both console will be completely obsolete compared to a top of the line PC and it will be the exact same situation as with IW.

jordan_a
25th Jan 2008, 00:34
Amen to that, Papy.

Xcom
29th Feb 2008, 11:24
Sort of related to this story, SCi now sacks 25% of staff, and cancels 14 projects...

Good news is that Deus EX 3 is safe. In fact, it's being one of the top priorities.

Press release:

SCi Entertainment Group plc ('SCi' 'the Company' or the 'Group'), today
announces a group re-structuring plan following its business review and its
interim results for the six months to 31 December 2007.

The business review led by new Chief Executive, Phil Rogers, has decided on the following actions:

Fundamental change in business structure:

* SCi's business structure will be significantly changed from a centrally controlled development and publishing model to a studio-led business focused around cornerstone products, such as Tomb Raider, Hitman, Championship Manager and Deus Ex.
* Creation of Eidos PLAY to fuse together casual and new media resources to attack growing markets.
* Flexible and efficient approach to distribution.

Product improvement initiatives started:

* Cancellation of 14 projects which the Board considers are unlikely to
generate an acceptable return on investment or are not of appropriate
quality.
* Studios focusing on product innovation and delivery of high quality games.
* Production services to form part of the studio group, relocating to
Montreal from London.

Cost reduction plan:

* New business structure targeted to operate with a maximum of 800 people, a
reduction of 25% from current headcount.
* Annual operating costs to be cut by £14 million by the end of June 2008 at
a one-off cost of £7 million

Phil Rogers, Chief Executive of SCi Entertainment Group said,

'SCi is in need of immediate change.

'Following our business review over the last six weeks, we are initiating a
clear action plan based on three fundamental strands of activity: a radical
change in our structure to a studio-led business, a top to bottom programme of
product improvement and efficiency and a considerable cost reduction plan.

'To get SCi on track we have to act rapidly and effect change quickly. We must
allow the world-class people that we have within the Group to focus on strong,
profitable titles which will create the value our shareholders deserve.

'I am confident our staff share this vision and excitement for the future, and
determination to build a working environment where our innovation and creativity can be commercially realised.'

(source (http://www.hemscott.com/servlet/HsPublic?context=ir.access&ir_option=RNS_NEWS&item=60917668863074&ir_client_id=3144))

jordan_a
29th Feb 2008, 12:47
"Production services to form part of the studio group, relocating to Montreal from London. Ho ho... It sounds like we can forget the small Montréal team, a big asset if you ask me. :(

*Thread added to the Important discussion threads list*

gamer0004
29th Feb 2008, 14:04
Thank you for posting that, Xcom.
Well, I have hope unless they decide to release the game sooner than what they had initially thought.

user-9
29th Feb 2008, 21:06
Just found out that the makers of Tomb Raider are axeing development of a load of games!

Can anyone tell us if DX3 is in the firing line?

Take a look...

http://www.gamingtarget.com/article.php?artid=8376

Angel/0A
29th Feb 2008, 21:48
Read: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=734305&postcount=27
As seen in http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=74939&page=2 already.

Angel/0A
1st Mar 2008, 02:46
SCi (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=74939), thank you.

Yea, I dunno why you linked that when I already did hours ago. :P

Unstoppable
1st Mar 2008, 04:01
I don't think SCI would of created Eidos Montreal if they were going to ax it a few month later. Relax people, Deus Ex 3 will be a reality.

rhalibus
1st Mar 2008, 04:24
SCi's business structure will be significantly changed from a centrally controlled development and publishing model to a studio-led business focused around cornerstone products, such as Tomb Raider, Hitman, Championship Manager and Deus Ex.

This might acually be better for Deus Ex 3 if they put their extra resources into its development...

We must optimise our return on these titles, leverage and position the Group for online and make better use of our innovative strength. Kane & Lynch, for example, a home grown franchise, has sold over 1.4 million copies in its first incarnation - yet we believe it could have sold more had we optimised the opportunity.

Glad to see that they are sort of admitting that sacrificing development resources for advertising is not a successful strategy to turn a clever concept into a hit game. My apologies if this is not a DX3 focused comment, but this does indicate a positive change in intentions that could also help the quality of DX3...:rolleyes:

lightbringerrr
1st Mar 2008, 05:39
The ONLY good thing that Tomb Raider has ever produced, is Angelina Jolie in a Bathing Suit. Period.
Jesus Christ; One round of Tomb Raider had me pining for the 7th-Grade boredom that is HALO.

No debate, discussion over, the buck stops here.

Gary_Savage
1st Mar 2008, 21:02

Hey, just wondering, Half-Life (I realize this was ages ago) had a pretty nice system where the loading times were low, while the map sizes were good (they looked huge, to me, back then). So, if technical limits on consoles is a big enough issue to hurt DX3's map sizes (I don't know if they will, as I a bit clueless), then maybe the developers can learn something from what was done in Half-Life. Maybe people will not mind a 2-5 second loading screen if it happens more often than it did in DX1?

rhalibus
4th Mar 2008, 07:19
DX was made eight years ago and it hasn't been equaled--I can play it on a modern machine and the load times are about a half-second on average.

Eidos can totally make short load times if they want; they don't need super-high-definition textures that take so long to load. They need to concentrate on the gameplay and variety of solution options, not the graphics--just like the original! :)

gamer0004
4th Mar 2008, 16:21
I don't care if loading takes up to 2 minutes, as long as quickloading is quick and there aren't many loading screens. Many loaading screens are bad for immmersion but especially bad because if you run away and *load* another map, kill some guards there and such and go back, the enemy will be at precisely the same place as you'd left him. So running away is no option in that case.

jordan_a
4th Mar 2008, 17:02
With the vital John P's unified texture pack, IW still takes 20 seconds at least to load on a 2008 high end laptop: outrageous. :mad2:

Smoke Screen
4th Mar 2008, 19:21
Eidos can totally make short load times if they want; they don't need super-high-definition textures that take so long to load. They need to concentrate on the gameplay and variety of solution options, not the graphics--just like the original! :)

2nd that. Im also tired of bloated overdetailed nonsense games for dullards who like colored lights. :thumbsup:
To be honest im sure a lot devs are also tired to have to deliver such games and
i guess some of them are making DX3.....;)

DON_The_Grey
4th Mar 2008, 19:59
Man, I don't like loading screens at all...
What I'm worrying about is that Eidos may focuses on another Dx IV:
Made for a wide audience mainly consisting out of teens, sacrificing the plot for a profitable action game with nice graphics.:scratch:

Papy
6th Mar 2008, 00:34
Personally, I'm never in that kind of hurry to start playing a game. I can certainly wait two minutes for the game to start. I don't understand why this is such a problem.

IcarusIsLookingForYou
6th Mar 2008, 00:56
I'll second the sentiment, Papy. I have no problem with initial loading screens. It's those constant little hiccups of loading time that absolutely kill the immersion. Thankfully, there are forward thinking devs, like Silicon Knights, who understand this problem and are looking to eradicate it. I saw a recent build of Too Human and there was only a single loading screen upon start up with not a single second of loading during gameplay. This I'd like to see more of even if it is at the sacrifice of shiny textures.

SageSavage
6th Mar 2008, 07:01
Yeah, but I don't mind a short loading screen when travelling to a whole new area (like in DX1) as long as the areas are big enough.

Gary_Savage
6th Mar 2008, 16:25
Yeah, but I don't mind a short loading screen when travelling to a whole new area (like in DX1) as long as the areas are big enough.

With modern computers it should be possible to get even larger maps through a single load screen, increasing the immersion. I don't mind reduced textures for that, nor do I mind a little time spent staring at the loading screen, with fingers stroking the keyboard, as long as that does not happen too often. In DX1 the immersion, to me, was not really lost when there were loading screens during helicopter flights and other rides, but if these screens could (it at all) be avoided in places like when JC enters UNATCO HQ from Liberty Island, then that would be great.

SageSavage
6th Mar 2008, 16:43
In DX1 the immersion, to me, was not really lost when there were loading screens during helicopter flights and other rides, but if these screens could (it at all) be avoided in places like when JC enters UNATCO HQ from Liberty Island, then that would be great. Agreed.

rhalibus
11th Mar 2008, 02:52
It's the texture maps that take up a significant amount of space, not the level geometry...that's why the GTA series can have massive unbroken levels: they don't use high-res textures.

The maximum texture size for Deus Ex was only 256x256, and no game for me has surpassed its immerson. I hope Eidos Montreal takes note! :)

Keir
11th Mar 2008, 10:34
Hi all - a quick heads up from head office.

Things are obviously in a major transitional stage for everyone at Eidos. Between you and me, it's been a long time coming - and that's coming from someone that has worked at Eidos for seven years.

The most important things for me to point out are:

1. Deus Ex and Eidos Montreal are safe.
2. This will be beneficial for all of Eidos' communities.

We're still in the early stages of the restructure, so I won't/can't go into details, but the new studio-focused structure will mean our communities are bought closer to the development teams for all our franchises (which is particularly relevant for games like Deus Ex, Tomb Raider, Battlestations, Champ Man, etc).

We can expect to see things settling down after a month or two (we've just started a 90 day consultation process regarding the redundancies so there is an uneasy atmosphere in the office) but I'm really confident when I say that this change will directly benefit the most important person in the company - which is you.

If you have any questions fire away, but I'm sure you can appreciate I might not be able to answer them at the moment.

SageSavage
11th Mar 2008, 15:02
That's good to know, thanks.

Angel/0A
11th Mar 2008, 17:01
Thanks for the update. :)

mouse
11th Mar 2008, 17:07
We're still in the early stages of the restructure, [...] (we've just started a 90 day consultation process regarding the redundancies so there is an uneasy atmosphere in the office)

doesn't sound so good

Keir
12th Mar 2008, 10:41
doesn't sound so good

You're telling me! :eek:

But it's for the greater good and means Eidos will be able to moved closer to the consumer. Ultimately the restructuring is part of a wider plan which will deliver more quality and a customer focused direction - ultimately I'm confident it'll mean community is treated as a top priority, and you guys can expect interaction with the devs, exclusive assets, and a host of other cool things.

I've got a ton of ideas and as we move forward I'll be letting you know what we've got planned, and I'll also tap you for ideas of what you'd like to see.

jordan_a
12th Mar 2008, 12:44
Keir you're on your way to Montréal?

Keir
12th Mar 2008, 13:05
Keir you're on your way to Montréal?

It's too early to talk about details and individuals at the moment. But as I say the shake up looks at the bigger picture and I'm sure it'll mean great things for the a lot of departments in the company - particularly community :thumbsup:

Gary_Savage
12th Mar 2008, 18:41
Man, I don't like loading screens at all...
What I'm worrying about is that Eidos may focuses on another Dx IV:
Made for a wide audience mainly consisting out of teens, sacrificing the plot for a profitable action game with nice graphics.:scratch:

Somehow that sounds, to me, like a business plan/compromise: one game for the hardcore gamer (this game will refine story elements, and try new things, in terms of gameplay), and the next for the console kiddies (with nice graphics, but with a storyline and gameplay that will leave the elitist gamer wanting), but using some of the gameplay and story elements that were worked on in the previous game. Then the third game could use the already good graphics of the second game, but the story and gameplay could be worked on, and improved beyond the first, and so on.

That will leave each game satisfying one group, and leaving the other a bit disappointed, but somehow it looks to me like a long term money making strategy. Of course, sooner or later each group will only buy only every other game in the series.

rhalibus
20th Mar 2008, 19:36
It's too early to talk about details and individuals at the moment. But as I say the shake up looks at the bigger picture and I'm sure it'll mean great things for the a lot of departments in the company - particularly community :thumbsup:

Good luck, Keir.

Kevyne-Shandris
23rd Mar 2008, 12:45

But it's for the greater good and means Eidos will be able to moved closer to the consumer. Ultimately the restructuring is part of a wider plan which will deliver more quality and a customer focused direction - ultimately I'm confident it'll mean community is treated as a top priority, and you guys can expect interaction with the devs, exclusive assets, and a host of other cool things.

I've got a ton of ideas and as we move forward I'll be letting you know what we've got planned, and I'll also tap you for ideas of what you'd like to see.

Sure hope so. So many DX fans have been waiting for a good rendition of DX1, something true to the original. If anything gets to Eidos is that this Deus Ex version has to be more than some spirtual successor -- it has to be the real McCoy. We were burned already with DX2, DX3 burns us, we'll just have to turn to modding it wholesale.

Trust is earned, not given. Devs can't trash DX3 and making it into a cheap 10hr shooter with game mechanics that's foreign (heck, I can get over 100hrs of gameplay out of Oblivion -- there's no reason not to have the same with DX).

I see that Monolith will be adopting that type of menu system of DX2. How much would folks want to bet that Project Origin will flunk due to it, too. Devs have an uncanny ability to keep repeating the same mistakes that players keep telling them they dislike. They keep claiming it's about creativity -- the thing is about DX, the fans want basically a revamped DX (Eidos won't do that, but fans can dream!).

Eidos prove to us you understand our concerns. I l-o-v-e DX, I just don't want to see it destroyed again over "creativity" and DX10 bugs.

IceBallz
23rd Mar 2008, 13:39
Well if Eidos are in danger. They better make Deus Ex 3 to a blockbuster.

Mand'alor The Unholy
23rd Mar 2008, 23:43
I'd just like to say that if, somehow, EA manages to get their dirty little paws on DX3, I wash my hands of the game altogether. It will have died and gone to hell at that point.

IceBallz
24th Mar 2008, 11:34
I'd just like to say that if, somehow, EA manages to get their dirty little paws on DX3, I wash my hands of the game altogether. It will have died and gone to hell at that point.

:mad: I can't do more then only agree...

gamer0004
24th Mar 2008, 12:42
If EA would get ther hands on DX3, I would most certainley buy a copy TO SET IT ON FIRE IN MY BACK YARD.
Gosh I hate EA. LOTR:BFME2 is quite fun though (but not brilliant and definately no as good as other RTS's)

Shamrock
26th Mar 2008, 06:29
Hi kier,

So are you saying that Edios is now focusing on making/letting the dev's interact with the community more on the forums and such? One thing I noticed about BSM was not once did I see a developer post on the forums despite the game having a great and loyal community.

I don't know if that was their choice not to post or Edios policy, but if it's possible can you clarify what you meant when you said

We're still in the early stages of the restructure, so I won't/can't go into details, but the new studio-focused structure will mean our communities are bought closer to the development teams for all our franchises

Xcom
26th Mar 2008, 15:34
One thing I noticed about BSM was not once did I see a developer post on the forums despite the game having a great and loyal community.

There are plenty of developers visiting (lurking in) and reading BSM board. In fact, more than any other Eidos game. Granted, they don't post as much, but this probably has to do with PR / marketing. Other than that, there was a special "thinktank" board created for BSM2 and where only few select member gained access to. I believe devs did post there.

Kevyne-Shandris
26th Mar 2008, 21:10
There are plenty of developers visiting (lurking in) and reading BSM board. In fact, more than any other Eidos game. Granted, they don't post as much, but this probably has to do with PR / marketing. Other than that, there was a special "thinktank" board created for BSM2 and where only few select member gained access to. I believe devs did post there.

Hope they won't take the EA brickwall approach.

Accessibility has a chance to backfire, but after experiencing interacting with the BF2142 devs (DICE), not only on a BF2142 game board, but in one of their competitions, I came away with a much better appreciation for that game's devs (I was angry as hell over some issues with the game, but they were such good sports braving the ire of players [and getting plenty of their dogtags taken as payment], I have respect for them now). They didn't need to mix and mingle with players, but they did, and it was a success.

It doesn't mean much in the scheme of things, but knowing there's someone from the game not only addressing issues, but understands, goes a very long way bridging knowledge gaps between the devs and players. Perhaps a dev's blog would help now.

Shamrock
27th Mar 2008, 16:25

I was part of that focus group board and it turns out they did use a lot of our suggestions for BSM2. However none of the developers posted in that forum with us. Kier ran the show and he did a excellent job.

Anyway if the dev's are lurking a lot it would be nice if they posted. It's a great community and we are now in a day and age where a lot of gaming companies have their developers post on their forums.

Xcom
27th Mar 2008, 16:47
It is as not as easy to get them to post as it seems. When we're dealing with AAA titles (what DX3 is supposed to be), then (some) companies choose very commercialized approach. This is my opinion only, but I have no doubt that Eidos has already pre-arranged what magazines and websites will get which exclusive bits and pieces of info about the game (in exchange for media coverage). Naturally, having developers "spilling the beans" in forums and blogs will seriously compromise the media "exclusivity".

So, in other words, since they probably won't be allowed to talk about the game, what else is there to talk about? Weather in Montreal?

Larington
30th Mar 2008, 22:54
So how is the weather in Montreal... Heh, I jest of course.

My main concern is that the change in management might lead to a new person taking over who decides to dictate some of content to the detriment of the game. I'm not saying it will happen, only that it has before (Though at the moment I can't think of any specific examples, although it is my understanding that DX2 was suffering from regular 'changes of scope', I'm not a 100% sure what that means but I have a feeling...)

In anycase, I felt the need to 'have a moment' for all those developers and support staff who might be back on the job search soon as a result of this shift. As someone who is studying game design over in the UK, I've managed to shock fellow students with the scale of job losses and whole scale development house collapses that have happened over time. Truly, game development can be a painful career path, even with the joys of working on something truly creative.

On the subject of holding back information due to PR or marketing for games magazines, myself and many others had a bad experience with what can only be called BFRs in a game called planetside... Basically, we didn't find out the nature of the content until it was too late for the community to ahem 'recommend' following alternative ideas. Sadly, the BFRs proved to be an initial disaster for reasons I will explain if asked.

imported_van_HellSing
6th Sep 2008, 11:39
OK, so this is seriously weird.

From TTLG: (http://ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122827)

Chief']Hi,
Okay so the last I heard their were rumours that UBI had contacted Eidos about a takeover bid, and I was sure the last I remember seeing (and you'd think this would have been a huge ttlg thread if it had happened) was that UBI didnt buy out Eidos.

So anyway, there I was looking at the UBI Official Support Site, and as I'm browsing through their technical support FAQs

http://ubisoft-en.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ubisoft_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php

I start noticing all these Eidos titles among UBIs own (Thief, Deus Ex, Hitman to name a few).

So errm, did I miss the announcment that UBI bought out Eidos? :confused: (i did a quick ttlg forum search and nothing came up on the first results page, i'd have thought if it did happen there'd be about 400 pages by now.......)

Chief.

El_Bel
6th Sep 2008, 13:30

Most people who will buy the game are not in this forum. They are not part of any community. They dont buy hype. They are 30-35 year olds who want a good game. Teens and 20+ year olds just dont have the money. So i think it would be better to focus on making a really great flawless game than pleasing the community... Wait why did i just say that?

jordan_a
6th Sep 2008, 13:51
Wait why did i just say that?:D We only represent a fraction of the consumer market that's for sure. But so far we've all pretty much had the same ideas about specific issues and that's something the studio has got to take into account.

That and what can appeal to the casual gamer.

Hence the idea of an nearly fully customizable game which can please everyone. The worst thing that could happen to this game is the feeling that it is patterned and shaped for no specific audience. The fan of DX and the newcomer, who rules the market (since no one remembers DX), have to feel that the game was made for them in particular.

I don't want a lack of challenge, hints and a big HUD. But maybe 70% of the audience probably will?

The aim of Eidos is to sell this game, but making a game is a bit more than selling it well; it's the inner and genuine pride the developers will feel when they hear that us, real fans, were satisfied.

AaronJ
6th Sep 2008, 14:52
OK, so this is seriously weird.

From TTLG: (http://ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122827)

WTFWTFWTF

pewbeng
6th Sep 2008, 16:12
WTFWTFWTF

Seriously!

Unstoppable
6th Sep 2008, 21:18
You shouda made a new thread cuz people might look at this one and think Eidos/SCI was in trouble.

Absentia
7th Sep 2008, 16:58
Too late for that, I was spazzing out until I happened to read the dates on some of the posts.

drummindog
9th Sep 2008, 11:01
WTFWTFWTF

It looks to be that Ubi does seem to own or have the license for DX, but the funny thing is that there is no tech support on their site for the game on their site. I'm not sure how all of this video game company ownership and licensing works, so this really doesn't surprise me that much.

On another note, You can get DX and IW on Steam now, but I think it is being distributed as being from Eidos. I do not think I saw it under Ubisoft.

If you really want to be confused, try piecing together who owns No One Lives Forever or who has licensing ability. It seems there are several companies involved...Warner, VUG, Sierra(I believe) Fox as well.

jordan_a
23rd Sep 2008, 08:49
Eidos goes to China (http://www.developmag.com/news/30542/Eidos-opens-Shanghai-base). ;)

imported_van_HellSing
23rd Sep 2008, 09:15
Yay, we'll get games crafted by little chinese hands!

Well, at least they'll be learning some real skills! :cool:

Bluey71
23rd Sep 2008, 10:38

Well I'll go to the foot of my stairs!

This is the last thing I expected to hear from any publisher at this point - this little bit of news is the best thing to come out of the games industry, in my opinion, for years.
Congratulations to Eidos for having the foresight to go down this road,getting closer to your customer's can only be a good thing.

imported_van_HellSing
23rd Sep 2008, 10:51
Newsflash: EVERY publisher would tell you the same thing. Including, say, EA.

PR, you know.

Bluey71
23rd Sep 2008, 14:07
Newsflash: EVERY publisher would tell you the same thing. Including, say, EA.

PR, you know.

Lets wait and see.

jordan_a
2nd Dec 2008, 00:08
December 1, 2008

EA, Ubisoft Takeover Rumors Surround SCi/Eidos

Reports of takeover talks again surround Eidos Interactive parent SCi Entertainment, according to widespread media reports. The struggling company has quadrupled its losses in the past year, and the UK Daily Mail pegs the attrition in SCi's share price at 92 percent.

The Daily Mail says that both Electronic Arts, which already owns a 25 percent stake in SCi, and Ubisoft have approached the company for "early stage" acquisition talks now that the price for the holder of the Tomb Raider franchise would be relatively low.

SCi recently amended a "standstill" agreement with stakeholder and distribution partner Warner Bros that would allow the company to buy more shares in SCi, a move that fueled media speculation that the company was looking to be bought.

The Daily Mail's source said the interested parties were holding off to see if SCi could effectively deliver Tomb Raider: Underworld in time for interest after its delay. Believed to add to the appeal of an SCi acquisition is the company's portfolio of other successful IP like Hitman.

Gamasutra is currently awaiting any comment from Electronic Arts as of press time. Eidos was unable to be reached.

Gamasutra (http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21300)

AaronJ
2nd Dec 2008, 04:44
December 1, 2008

EA, Ubisoft Takeover Rumors Surround SCi/Eidos

Reports of takeover talks again surround Eidos Interactive parent SCi Entertainment, according to widespread media reports. The struggling company has quadrupled its losses in the past year, and the UK Daily Mail pegs the attrition in SCi's share price at 92 percent.

The Daily Mail says that both Electronic Arts, which already owns a 25 percent stake in SCi, and Ubisoft have approached the company for "early stage" acquisition talks now that the price for the holder of the Tomb Raider franchise would be relatively low.

SCi recently amended a "standstill" agreement with stakeholder and distribution partner Warner Bros that would allow the company to buy more shares in SCi, a move that fueled media speculation that the company was looking to be bought.

The Daily Mail's source said the interested parties were holding off to see if SCi could effectively deliver Tomb Raider: Underworld in time for interest after its delay. Believed to add to the appeal of an SCi acquisition is the company's portfolio of other successful IP like Hitman.

Gamasutra is currently awaiting any comment from Electronic Arts as of press time. Eidos was unable to be reached.

Gamasutra (http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21300)

tl;dr safe version:

EA may eat up Eidos.

spm1138
2nd Dec 2008, 12:33
Oh god no. Do not get bought by Ubisoft :mad2:

Malah
2nd Dec 2008, 14:18
Just read it myself.

I can already see the stuff EA would do. DX Aug DLC, Hitman: White Tie DLC and so on...

The rest would be turned into MMOs by the Chinese. (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/ea-licenses-dungeon-keeper-for-chinese-mmo)

I hope this deal closes after DX3 out. After that EA can gobble them up and spit out the bones for all I care.

spm1138
2nd Dec 2008, 14:29
These days EA look like the good guys.

They wouldn't be nearly as bad as a publisher who's name rhymes with You Be Soft.

Look what they did to their own franchises.

redfordd
2nd Dec 2008, 14:57
EA could feed the world and still somehow manage to be the bad guys, that whole company just exudes bad juju.

Malah
2nd Dec 2008, 17:04
These days EA look like the good guys.

All I've seen so far have been clever PR moves. After they've released games that are actually any good, I'll change my opinion.

Take Spore for example - the game had a budget that could feed entire third world countries (pun intended), but the end product was nothing like the stuff they promised. Instead it was even below the Sims, which is aimed at the casual casual gamer.

rhalibus
2nd Dec 2008, 21:43
And the fun continues! (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/sci-files-to-change-name-to-eidos) SCi is filing to change its name to guess who...

jordan_a
2nd Dec 2008, 22:16
That's more like it. :thumbsup:

Bono
3rd Dec 2008, 22:52
I wonder what all this means to the T project. Hope it wasn't slayed due to the recent events.

zlarm
4th Dec 2008, 19:28
I wonder what all this means to the T project. Hope it wasn't slayed due to the recent events.

Yeah, that would be a real bummer as long as the T they are referring to is the one I'm thinking of.

This is pretty suprising: Sqaure Enix are bidding for Eidos.

http://kotaku.com/5101776/square-enix-launch-takeover-bid-for-eidos

I just hope none of this effects DX 3

jordan_a
4th Dec 2008, 23:22
It looks pretty serious, eventually someone will buy it, WB (probably the best choice), EA, Ubi, Square Enix.

http://www.developmag.com/news/30921/Square-and-Warner-mount-rival-bids-for-Eidos

I wish I knew what could be the consequences on DX3. :(

GmanPro
5th Dec 2008, 05:27
If Square Enix takes over, they will make all the dudes look like chicks.

K^2
5th Dec 2008, 05:51
The real question is if they'll give Adam an oversize sword aug.

GmanPro
5th Dec 2008, 06:15
So true... :D

general kane
5th Dec 2008, 14:50
MCV understands that both Warner Bros and Square Enix are ready to mount rival acquisition bids this month for the ailing British publisher.

Although national press reports have fingered EA and Ubisoft as potential buyers, nose-tappers are backing Warner as the victor. It already owns 20 per cent of the Britsoft firm, and would only have to spend around $30m for a controlling interest. A spend of around $80m would give it total control, putting Eidos’ current market value at around $120m.

Eidos last month relaxed restrictions on Warner that would otherwise stop it buying more shares.

However, Square is making clear signals of serious interest. Global president Yoichi Wada has already visited Denmark's IO Studio – Eidos’ developer of the Hitman franchise – and is set to return to the UK shortly to move the deal forward.

Our source said: “I think Warners will still win, but it’s very interesting that Square have expressed this late interest. They are clearly looking for Western talent.”

Please do not move the thread it is related to its future ...

imported_van_HellSing
5th Dec 2008, 14:59
We already have a thread about this: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=74939&page=4

general kane
5th Dec 2008, 16:17
whats gonna happen now ?

imported_van_HellSing
5th Dec 2008, 16:27
The world blows up.

3nails4you
5th Dec 2008, 16:57
Console games sell tons more than PC games. One valid point in your analysis is that Deus Ex was a PC game first, but it was ported to the PS 2 lest we forget.

To conclude, releasing it on consoles can only benefit sales of DX 3 and it will definately be a wise choice. It should be a PC port in my opinion though.;)

By the way Eidos Montreal has already stated that Deus Ex 3 will be a PC game a long with a next gen game. Do not fear.

The reason console sales are so high is because gameplay is so dumbed down (for lack of better terms) that people don't have to use their brains while playing. The world has become lazy, and consoles are honestly the problem (videogames-wise). When we starting putting FPS's on consoles, the system of aiming became so simplified because all you have is a stick, not an accurate motion-detecting mouse. There are tons of other problems that I don't have time to get into during exams, but suffice it to say that once a console-built game makes it to PC, it is severely less than it could be. On the other hand, a PC game makes use of all of the resources that PC's have to offer that consoles don't, and so if you port THAT over to consoles, THEN you can dumb it down. If you want proof, then get someone who plays ONLY console games and set them in front of a computer game. They may be wonderful at Halo or Super Smash Brothers, yet Half-Life is a huge challenge to them and they can't get past the third level. On the other hand, I play PC almost exclusively, and I just beat Halo 2 in no time for the first time playing it. WHILE STUDYING FOR EXAMS. It all boils down to what the game was originally intended for. People get used to consoles and when they get a PC-made game they whine about how tough it is etc. Game review sites constantly bash PC games because it is obvious that they never put down those thumbstick gamepads and actually play. Take Spider-man 3. I went to tons of review sites before buying it, and all of them said the same thing. "The PC version is too hard" "The camera system is awful" "The fighting is repetitive." They said this only about the PC version, but praised the 360 and PS3 version til Kingdom come. Well, the camera is user controlled, so what does that tell you about the people that think it's poorly done? The fighting system has hundreds if not well over 1,000 combos that you can perform, and more buttons involved that with a console. People who only play consoles are used to a helped, dumbed down system and it is ruining PC games. Logically, making it a PC game first THEN dumbing it down is the only reasonable thing to do.

EDIT: Sorry for the lateness of this post, seriously it's a few pages back :D Hope you guys didn't mind me venting a little.

gamer0004
5th Dec 2008, 17:30
The real question is if they'll give Adam an oversize sword aug.

Funny... They already have that in DX3 :( It's called a "cyberblade" :rolleyes:

Necros
6th Dec 2008, 09:59
Funny... They already have that in DX3 :( It's called a "cyberblade" :rolleyes:
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/8328/omgpc1.gif :mad2: :rolleyes:

imported_van_HellSing
6th Dec 2008, 13:18
Funny, I think the cyberblade looks a lot less obnoxious and more in keeping with the cyberpunk theme than the glowing blue fantasy +1 sword from Deus Ex.

Jerion
6th Dec 2008, 13:23
Show me a picture of this "cyberblade". :)

SageSavage
6th Dec 2008, 13:26
Yeah, have I missed something?

imported_van_HellSing
6th Dec 2008, 13:30
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc159/eternaltreasure/scand-1.jpg

Cyberblade, as seen in the Image Gallery Archive (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=80886) thread.

SageSavage
6th Dec 2008, 13:33
Oh, I didn't recognize that as a Cyberblade. What's makes it "cyber"?

Jerion
6th Dec 2008, 13:34
Beats me. It just looks like a short melee blade that can pop out of an arm augmentation.

imported_van_HellSing
6th Dec 2008, 13:35
The fact that it's integrated into a cybernetic limb? I kind of doubt that's the final name for this aug anyway.

SageSavage
6th Dec 2008, 13:43
Well if it is the Cyberblade, it's probably pretty pointless to compare it with the Dragon Tooth.

imported_van_HellSing
6th Dec 2008, 13:51
In any case, I can't imagine the Cyberblade in, say Oblivion, while the Dragon's Tooth wouldn't seem out of place at all.

SageSavage
6th Dec 2008, 13:56
I totally agree.

gamer0004
6th Dec 2008, 15:48
Oh, I didn't recognize that as a Cyberblade. What's makes it "cyber"?

The devs call it a "cyberblade"... I don't know whether it is the one as shown in the picture, because I think you can attack all your enemies in a circle aroun you in one strike.

Jerion
6th Dec 2008, 16:03
It's not a cyberblade, it's a concealed butter knife. For the toaster aug. :D

Necros
7th Dec 2008, 07:22
:lol:

The devs call it a "cyberblade"... I don't know whether it is the one as shown in the picture, because I think you can attack all your enemies in a circle aroun you in one strike.
That's a different aug. That attack is releasing a lot of shrapnels or something, damaging everyone around you. This blade will be good for silent takedowns. Though I don't think I'll use it for that often because I usually go with a non-lethal approach.

gamer0004
7th Dec 2008, 10:05
:lol:

That's a different aug. That attack is releasing a lot of shrapnels or something, damaging everyone around you. This blade will be good for silent takedowns. Though I don't think I'll use it for that often because I usually go with a non-lethal approach.

No, I know about that one as well... I'll look it up in one of the magz.

Mindmute
7th Dec 2008, 11:15

Thank you, I was actually sitting here talking to a friend of mine when I decided to glance at the forum. She saw your comment and now there's Pepsi everywhere...

Yargo
7th Dec 2008, 16:52
Thank you, I was actually sitting here talking to a friend of mine when I decided to glance at the forum. She saw your comment and now there's Pepsi everywhere...

Soda in the key board sucks!!!! I feel your pain. :(

rhalibus
15th Dec 2008, 19:26
Relevant news (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/warner-buys-another-10-million-eidos-shares)...Warner buys some more Eidos...

Earendil
15th Dec 2008, 19:40
Yay for popping out of the arm augs.

Jerion
15th Dec 2008, 19:50
Breaking News!

Today the team behind Deus Ex 3 announced that there will be a spray-bottle aug, concealed in Jensen's left arm. This bottle can be filled with a variety of liquids, from napalm to water, to acid.

On another note, there have been an oddly large number of melted objects being removed from the Eidos Montreal studio. Coincidence?

jordan_a
15th Dec 2008, 20:00
:o

About WB that's the best of news for Eidos... if it stops at 20%. :thumbsup:

imported_van_HellSing
18th Dec 2008, 16:23
What the hell...

Eidos Trying To Fix Tomb Raider: Underworld Metacritic Scores (http://kotaku.com/5095674/eidos-trying-to-fix-tomb-raider-underworld-metacritic-scores)

"Desperate."

Your turn.

GmanPro
18th Dec 2008, 17:46
I don't care. Those review scores don't mean anything at all. I have no respect for them. They ranked Crysis better than Deus Ex. Like seriously, WTF man...!?!?

Necros
20th Dec 2008, 07:07
Didn't they do the same with IW? 80% was too darn much to be accurate.
I think IW deserved at least 80%, but maybe that's just me... :o :)

dark_angel_7
20th Dec 2008, 13:22
What the hell...

Eidos Trying To Fix Tomb Raider: Underworld Metacritic Scores (http://kotaku.com/5095674/eidos-trying-to-fix-tomb-raider-underworld-metacritic-scores)

"Desperate."

Your turn.

Lets face it many companies do this. But Eidos didnt try and control them, it was their PR company. Eidos doesnt really care too much of scores as GameSpot's and IGN's reviews all gave a 7 and they were allowed to be published without a problem.

An extensive insight into this by gaming analyst Keith Boesky (who used to be President of Eidos way back).

http://boesky.blogspot.com/2008/11/laras-back-but-eidos-fumbled-honesty-is.html

Necros
20th Dec 2008, 13:50
Don't get me wrong, I would also give it at least 80%.:p

But the difference is, you and I are DX zealots (I am, anyway) and the meta score is supposed to be objective, ie. it should reflect the interest of every player type, right down to mall teens with "Dude this shooter is so weird but NG Resonance is so hot lol" mentality. So imho 80 is too high as its meta score.
Oh, I'm a zealot too, no doubt about that. :) And when you put it this way, yeah, I see your point. :thumbsup: But I also think that statistics are never accurate and they can be manipulated very easily. So, it can be considered as a viewpoint but you don't necessarily have to take it really seriously.
Like in this case, we don't know how many of each group visits that site, how many of the reviews are truthful or thought through. And sometimes it's funny to see that somebody writes a bad review about a game, then a while later he or she comes back and writes a more positive review.

Larington
20th Dec 2008, 20:56
My primary concern about Metacritic is that its becoming TOO influential. I'm hearing stories of developer bonuses/pay being decided by metacritic score averages and many retail outlets now base the number of units of a game they order either by metacritic type scores, or by the score of a particular reviewer/review-site.
(Which potentially leads to situations where a developer is begging or upset by a reviewer who has given a score one point less than 80, or 90 or whatever)
All this from a site which includes in its mysterious calculations the reviews of fly-by-night review sites that aren't run by anything even close to a professional status. I'm no journalist, but I'm sure theres this thing called 'standards', where you try to give a genuinely good review and avoid using words like addictive or compelling without actually qualifying what you mean by that. Its also sad that reviewers have tried to experiment with doing reviews that don't use a score and as a response get death threats and the like in comments threads.

spm1138
21st Dec 2008, 04:38
Lets face it many companies do this. But Eidos didnt try and control them, it was their PR company. Eidos doesnt really care too much of scores as GameSpot's and IGN's reviews all gave a 7 and they were allowed to be published without a problem.

An extensive insight into this by gaming analyst Keith Boesky (who used to be President of Eidos way back).

http://boesky.blogspot.com/2008/11/laras-back-but-eidos-fumbled-honesty-is.html

We all know that big publishers try and exert influence over review scores with bribery, threats of withdrawn advertising revenue etc. etc.

Unfortunately Eidos got caught doing it twice in rapid succession (that Kane & Lynch scandal a few months back?) and it now looks like they're releasing substandard product and then running around doing spin control after fact.

Annnd... the PR company wouldn't do that if they weren't getting paid to. If you think otherwise I have an exciting investment opportunity in Ponsi Real Estate PLC you might be interested in.

It's a very unfortunate reputation for a publisher to have.

My primary concern about Metacritic is that its becoming TOO influential. I'm hearing stories of developer bonuses/pay being decided by metacritic score averages and many retail outlets now base the number of units of a game they order either by metacritic type scores, or by the score of a particular reviewer/review-site.

It's not a mysterious calculation. It's a straightforward average. Seems pretty clear and fair to me. What's more the score page leads through to all of the reviews included which is quite informative too. You can see the full spread of review scores given and from where.

It'd be nice if it had user settings for not including a certain source in calculating the average but generally I think it's a pretty fair sorting mechanism.

Even where numerical scores are not assigned they still give each review a rating of sorts based on whether it was entirely positive, kinda positive, mixed etc.

jordan_a
9th Jan 2009, 14:58
:(

Eidos shares plunge 25% on bad news (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/eidos-shares-plunge-25-percent-on-bad-news)

Eidos Admits Disappointing Tomb Raider Sales As Share Price Falls (http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21797)

imported_van_HellSing
9th Jan 2009, 17:06
I hate to say this, but I think Eidos had it coming. They pumped a lot of money into a stale franchise of a questionable reputation, expecting a huge hit. But the truth is, except for a few fans, Lara Croft doesn't excite anyone any more, and doesn't attract newcomers ("Tomb Raider? Never played it, but I heard the last 7 games were crap.")

They should rather shift the budget to something that is less known but with great potential. Like DX ;). Look at what Bethesda did for Fallout: turning pretty much a niche franchise into a blockbuster. Of course, this is risky, and you might end up with a stinker the size of Daikatana...

ilweran
9th Jan 2009, 18:01
But the truth is, except for a few fans, Lara Croft doesn't excite anyone any more, and doesn't attract newcomers ("Tomb Raider? Never played it, but I heard the last 7 games were crap.")

I've played all of them except Underworld, even Angel of Darkness - although I didn't get very far because of irritations like being able to spend all day pushing boxes about but it's only the one magic box that makes your arms stronger :hmm:

They should rather shift the budget to something that is less known but with great potential. Like DX ;). Look at what Bethesda did for Fallout: turning pretty much a niche franchise into a blockbuster.

Isn't the Fallout community up in arms and threatening death to Bethesda employees over Fallout 3? Ok, so they're being completely unreasonable, but Bioshock didn't get a good response from System Shock fans ('spiritual successor' and all that) and DX:IW wasn't welcomed with open arms either.

I have no idea what I wanted to say now - shouldn't post while at work, too many distractions. Sometimes I have sympathy for the people who say they don't want a new game and why can't we have the old game remade in a shiny new engine with pretty graphics and better physics etc- and then I think of Tomb Raider Anniversary and what they did to that poor T-Rex.

Maybe new franchises are the answer - except that I am cautiously excited about a new DX game.

imported_van_HellSing
9th Jan 2009, 21:27
You know, this is pretty interesting.

I'm a System Shock 2 fan (never really played the original, to be honest), and I hated BioShock. Yet, i did not hate it because it wasn't System Shock 3 - I didn't expect it to be. It's rather that it was simply a bad game imo, with no real hook in gameplay or story. Yet, thanks to hype & advertising and possibly the unique setting, it was a hit.

Pretty similar case with Invisible War. Difference? Pretty much no advertising or hype. Everyone was waiting for BioShock. No one was waiting for DX2 except Deus Ex fans. Had the game been hyped, it would have probably been a hit of Bioshock proportions with non-DX-fans. Instead, it was perceived from the start as a niche oddity.

Fallout 3? Never played the original Fallouts properly, because of the frustrating, counterintuitive interface. And don't get me wrong, I don't mind turn-based combat, spent a god portion of my childhood playing the X-Com games, it's really that Fallout's system just felt wrong most of the time. Loved the idea, the setting, the humour... Spent a helluva lot of time reading the wiki just to enjoy the worldbuilding without having to actually play F1/F2. Then along comes Fallout 3. Most of the characters are rather bland, the story doesn't make sense half of the time etc, but... it just feels fun to play. To explore. To find hidden quirks. Yes, I could moan about stuff for pages, but in the end, the game is simply better than the sum of its parts. Much like Deus Ex in that regard.

By the way, whatever is said about BioShock or Fallout 3, these two games just might pave the way for the success of DX3. They created a precedent for hybrid FPS-es being big hits. If DX3 can ride that train (clever move with that cake for Bethesda, Eidos!), it will succeed. Now that doesn't necessarily mean it will be good, but it will succeed.

SageSavage
10th Jan 2009, 01:21
"Crystal Dynamics laid off 30 people"
http://kotaku.com/5127993/lay-offs-strike-crystal-dynamics

dixieflatline
10th Jan 2009, 02:08
I've been reading tons of news today about how Eidos is in a bit of a financial hard spot because of the under-performing sales of Tomb Raider.

What really surprises me that 1.5 million sales was nearly enough for them to make a profit. There goal was 2 million units.

Frankly I'm surprised the game even sold as many copies as it did. I'm really shocked that they would imagine that the game would move 2 million plus. I think there is a huge disconnect between the corporate brass and the everyday gamer.

I mean I have tons of friends who game and no even mentioned Tomb Raider Underworld ever. How this game could interest people is pretty beyond me. It is the most unoriginal, by-the-numbers game that has come out in recent memory.

I read this other article where some Eidos talks about how Lara Croft might need a change, to make her more appealing to US audiences. That seems such a dumb way to go , to me. The game just isn't original or fun enough to warrant being a blockbuster, in my mind. Changing Lara doesn't matter -- I surprised they never mentioned anywhere even the idea of changing the gameplay at all.

It just seems like there is huge gap between the way the Eidos management thinks of product, and the average gamers mindset. It's like they are in a movie mindset -- just by changing an actor they can generate huge sales all of sudden; not instead, of even considering that the series just needs a rest, or that they should actually make an innovative and interesting game instead of a remake of the same game everyone has seen 3000 times since 1999.

Whoa! Didn't mean to write so much.

But ya, I hope the troubles don't hurt Deus Ex 3 development, is the more important thing I wanted to mention.

FrankCSIS
10th Jan 2009, 02:15
t just seems like there is huge gap between the way the Eidos management thinks of product.

Chris Jones, founder of former Access Software, said a few weeks ago in an informal chit chat something along the lines of "You'd be surprised by the things we hear in a project green-light meeting. It's often scary and would blow up your mind".

dixieflatline
10th Jan 2009, 02:30
I believe it.

It just seems like they are perhaps smart business people, but don't really understand gaming, perhaps in part due to their ages (not to sound discriminatory or anything, but i think most people would agree if saw your first video game at 30 at didn't start working in gaming field until your '50s, and you never played games in your life at all, you just probably aren't going to understand the nature of gaming as thoroughly.)

They don't seem to 'get' the fact that it is gameplay that sells a game. Other things are a factor. But you can have all the gloss on a product in the world ,but if it lacking in satisfying gameplay elements, its not going to become a blockbuster. E.T , the biggest game disaster of all time, is a good example.

Someone needs to slap these guys with a trout, to perhaps knock some sense in to them. Tomb Raider Underworld would have sold millions of copies if it some great, new, fresh gameplay, with a handful of semi-original elements in it. Lara Croft getting a new hair-do is not going to translate into an extra 500,000 copies moved ;)

I guess this relates to Deus Ex 3 in a way as well. They probably saw the numbers that Deus Ex 2 did, and set the budget for Deus Ex 3 according to that number. It probably didn't even occur to them to think that Deus Ex 2 would have sold more if it was made a bit differently, or that perhaps Deus Ex 3 could be a absolute blockbuster, Gears of War-level hit if they piled tons of resources into it (not to say it will not be, of course.)

Instead of thinking up news ways to bribe or intimidate reviewers in order to get high metacritic scores, they should think "What would take to make a game that is fun enough to be an 8/10..."

[I should add a disclaimer admitting that I haven't actually played T.R.U. Not that I plan to... ]

Larington
12th Jan 2009, 00:06
After TRU appeared on Steam I did end up buying it, its so very dangerously easy to just impulse buy on that system.

I've read about the sales thing as well, apparently it sold well in EU but did poorly in US. I'm not sure what to make of that, the two things I'm fairly certain of is that theres probably some brand/design fatigue amongst gamers but at the same time I got a sense from reviewer word of mouth (Not being a reviewer myself mind) that the gameplay in TRU is really solid, but not especially revolutionary (IE that journalists and gamers are frequently judgemental of games which don't try to innovate in some way, right or wrong)... The level design in TRU was gorgeous, but I found the ending was rather abrupt and unsatisfactory.

Hmm, I'm rambling here.

I've also assumed that marketting spend in EU and US territories was roughly equal per potential audience reach.

I'm not convinced that revamping Lara will change anything, other than increasing the cost and time spent on pre-concepting and early game design.

Jerion
12th Jan 2009, 00:20
After TRU appeared on Steam I did end up buying it, its so very dangerously easy to just impulse buy on that system.

I've read about the sales thing as well, apparently it sold well in EU but did poorly in US. I'm not sure what to make of that, the two things I'm fairly certain of is that theres probably some brand/design fatigue amongst gamers but at the same time I got a sense from reviewer word of mouth (Not being a reviewer myself mind) that the gameplay in TRU is really solid, but not especially revolutionary (IE that journalists and gamers are frequently judgemental of games which don't try to innovate in some way, right or wrong)... The level design in TRU was gorgeous, but I found the ending was rather abrupt and unsatisfactory.

Hmm, I'm rambling here.

I've also assumed that marketting spend in EU and US territories was roughly equal per potential audience reach.

I'm not convinced that revamping Lara will change anything, other than increasing the cost and time spent on pre-concepting and early game design.

You're telling me! If it weren't for my dreadfully slow internet connection I would be using it!

René
12th Jan 2009, 14:53
Ironically, I just finished TRU last night. And I really liked it. Actually, I've been a fan of the series since the beginning. Sure it's taken some mis-steps over the years but I still think they're really enjoyable games and the recent three by Crystal have been very good. TRU was, in my opinion, certainly better than POP.

GmanPro
12th Jan 2009, 18:07
You're telling me! If it weren't for my dreadfully slow internet connection I would be using it!

Me too! I hate isp companies...

Ironically, I just finished TRU last night. And I really liked it. Actually, I've been a fan of the series since the beginning. Sure it's taken some mis-steps over the years but I still think they're really enjoyable games and the recent three by Crystal have been very good. TRU was, in my opinion, certainly better than POP.

TRU certainly had its moments no doubt. I stopped playing PoP not even half way through (I think), even though I thouroughly enjoyed the previous 3 (its just too casual for my tastes. It feels like I'm playing a next gen Mario game... Ugh).

ilweran
13th Jan 2009, 13:15

TR1 was the first 3d game I ever played & liked - after playing Wolfenstein 3d & Doom I didn't believe 3d games would ever catch on. I got that a bit wrong but then I also thought Windows and CD's would fail :rolleyes:

I even briefly played Angel of Darkness. Not got round to TRU yet as we moved house just before Christmas but I will pick it up as I enjoyed Legend (only TR game I've actually finished) and was enjoying Anniversary until we had problems with the PC and I couldn't be bothered to start again after re-installing XP.

And if we're mentioning Crystal Dynamics, Project: Snowblind was a lot of fun and if it would work on the 360 I'd probably replay it.

jordan_a
17th Jan 2009, 00:11
Final blow

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21893

Malah
17th Jan 2009, 01:45
EA has shown (some) progress lately, whereas Ubisoft has gone off the deep end IMO. There are whispers of Warner, but I doubt that will go anywhere.

Square Enix would make everything console exclusive.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I hope EA goes for it. :hmm:

Necros
17th Jan 2009, 01:48
Final blow
Isn't that a bit early? Anyway, if someone buys Eidos I hope it will be either Warner or EA. Ubisoft started to suck in the last few years and I don't trust Square Enix at all, also don't wanna see a gem like Deus Ex in their hands.

Oh, and if EA does buy Eidos, maybe Doug Church could get involved with the DX and Thief games. Especially in T4.

gamer0004
18th Jan 2009, 12:53
It can only get better from here on, so yeah, I wouldn't mind if EA takes over Eidos.

Malah
18th Jan 2009, 14:33
It can only get better from here on, so yeah, I wouldn't mind if EA takes over Eidos.

My first thought, after I had accepted Big Brother, was Commandos TPS/RPG omgz!!11!!! :nut:

Bono
18th Jan 2009, 20:11
Is 'The T Project' still alive, Rene?

imported_van_HellSing
18th Jan 2009, 20:54
All I know is that Eidos registered the domain Thief4.com a few days ago. ;)

Bono
19th Jan 2009, 08:57
That's fine.

I just wonder if Eidos still plans to make another T after all this grim news. Worlds' economies in decline, after all.

René
19th Jan 2009, 14:40
I can't speak to the bigger picture, but everything at Eidos Montréal is just fine!

Malah
19th Jan 2009, 17:24
I can't speak to the bigger picture, but everything at Eidos Montréal is just fine!

Spin or not, it's good to hear a reassuring voice in the middle of this. :)

Bono
19th Jan 2009, 22:12
Excellent! Thanks René.

Larington
12th Feb 2009, 09:31
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/square-enix-reveals-eidos-bid

Thoughts?

Tracer Tong
12th Feb 2009, 09:37
I didn't know Square Enix was big enough to be able to buy Eidos.

The expected but untrue comment: DX3 will have huge swords in it. :nut:

imported_van_HellSing
12th Feb 2009, 09:46
Been here, done that.

Anyway, I'm weary of mergers. They pretty much never end good. Nomen omen, look at Squaresoft's merger with Enix - until they were separate, they were two of the best jrpg developers. Now, they're mostly churning out sequels to sequels etc. Final Fantasy X 2, a gazillion of FF VII spinoffs etc.

What interested me more in the linked page though was a link to another article on Eidos (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/eidos-closes-manchester-studio):

As a company we need to focus our efforts on high-quality titles that will deliver long-term franchise value

Which basically means we're actually Eidos' main target audience now.

denelntw20
12th Feb 2009, 11:14
Oh god, this is terrible.

I don't want to see a Japanese company having a strong grip on a company like Eidos.

Avantenor
12th Feb 2009, 11:34
Some years ago, Eidos published Squaresofts FF7 and 8 for PC in Europe, now they are art of SquareEnix. Interesting thing. ;)

A new player entered the western market. Seems to me a better solution than another one out of the incestuous field of western competitors. As long as SE doesn't touch the basic management of Eidos and try to restructure Eidos the japanese way. That probably would not work.

AaronJ
12th Feb 2009, 12:58
MMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoOTTTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/eidos-share-price-rockets-on-square-enix-bid

SageSavage
12th Feb 2009, 15:20
uckers?

René
12th Feb 2009, 15:34
Nothing's final so we'll have to wait and see. The whole process could take months.

SageSavage
12th Feb 2009, 15:42
Just another article on the issue:
http://kotaku.com/5152117/square-enix-trying-to-buy-tomb-raider

Behindyounow
12th Feb 2009, 16:01
Just dont make the main character seem androgynous and have gay hair. Aside from that, I'll be ok.

WhatsHisFace
12th Feb 2009, 16:03
Maybe now Deus Ex 3 will have RPG elements.

Joking.

SageSavage
12th Feb 2009, 16:10
Hilarious. **** off.

Behindyounow
12th Feb 2009, 16:19
Hah. You call those Japanese games RPGs?

All the final fantasy games seemed more like interactive movies to me. All you did was move the character from Conversation to conversation, getting little to no choice in it.

Unstoppable
12th Feb 2009, 17:33
Hah. You call those Japanese games RPGs?

All the final fantasy games seemed more like interactive movies to me. All you did was move the character from Conversation to conversation, getting little to no choice in it.

So you mean you can't affect the storyline. Linear path per say. However some of the games from Square Enix are still really good game. Their Final Fantasy series has always been top notch. The developers working on those games are the best on their speciality in the world.

I see this possible acquisition as a good thing. It's a great offer for shareholders and can give more possibilities for characters in my favorite universes to be expanded upon. Eidos has pubilshed games for Squaresoft in the past so they have done business successfully before.

I hope the merger goes through so it will help Eidos grow and be more profitable. :thumb:

Behindyounow
12th Feb 2009, 19:23
Oh sure, theres no denying they're good games. I just generally dislike the lack of choice the player gets.

Deus_Ex_Machina
12th Feb 2009, 21:26
This new information concerning Square Enix disturbs me.

SemiAnonymous
12th Feb 2009, 21:32
SquareEneidos? Got a bit of a ring to it.

Either way, no thank you.

Larington
13th Feb 2009, 12:10
Yeah, folks, this is a BID, nothing is final, and the process of buying companies takes months, the merger of HBOS & Barclays is expected to take TWO YEARS to complete, though admittedly thats probably due to adjusting processes and merging databases and stuff.

For the record: I did actually look at the thread list to see if anything appeared to be discussing this merger before I made this post and didn't notice anything, honest.

Avantenor
13th Feb 2009, 19:02
Yeah, folks, this is a BID, nothing is final, and the process of buying companies takes months, the merger of HBOS & Barclays is expected to take TWO YEARS to complete, though admittedly thats probably due to adjusting processes and merging databases and stuff.

For the record: I did actually look at the thread list to see if anything appeared to be discussing this merger before I made this post and didn't notice anything, honest.
But it's a quite serious one. The bid is supported by the SCi board. In that case normally shareholders are going to accept the offer. Square Enix also announced they would like to finalize the deal until April.

K^2
13th Feb 2009, 19:07
Maybe now Deus Ex 3 will have RPG elements.
That's just one of the changes required by the new specs sent to Eidos Montreal. Other notable changes:
- Adam is now a teenager.
- Option to play as male or female is cut. Instead, Adam will look like both.
- Bio-cells will now store mana.
- Certain augs will now have a level requirement.
- The retractable sword arm aug is increased in size to house a bigger sword.
- Tentacle aug is removed, because in Japan, anything with tentacles is an automatic AO rating.
- One of the bosses is now a giant crustacean.

Mindmute
13th Feb 2009, 19:13
That's just one of the changes required by the new specs sent to Eidos Montreal. Other notable changes:
- Tentacle aug is removed, because in Japan, anything with tentacles is an automatic AO rating.

You forgot this:
- Someone has kipnapped your parents/sister/brother and shortly after you learned you were one a few select people who could tap into the power the Aug!

K^2
13th Feb 2009, 19:34
Well, obviously. Otherwise the Mana wouldn't flow through your Augs, and they'd be useless. That's the kind of thing that Square isn't even going to mention. It's a given.

psikoticsilver
14th Feb 2009, 02:32
There may yet be hope for Eidos and through extension DX3. Hopefully they'll transfer DX3 to a new office in Japan and it'll turn out allright

Granted it would have J-pop and horrid American Stereotypes, but that's better than a cover system and auto health regen...

*edit* I didn't think about the Tenticle thing... never mind :(
And sexual androgynous characters.

... I guess we're fraked either way.

At least I have HDTP to look forward to :)

Dead-Eye
14th Feb 2009, 03:33
There are never stupid questions just stupid people. Then again your whole quote was just mindless rambling with no questions. :hmm:

At this point Edios needs to take a risk and poor everything they got into Deus Ex 3. If it pays off it will be as big as Bioshock maybe even bigger.

AaronJ
14th Feb 2009, 04:44
HDTP is a hoax :(

.....yea.

Romeo
14th Feb 2009, 05:19
I'd rather have Eidos Montreal left to do what they're doing. Hopefully, Square will keep their hands off this franchise, because it would crash hard as J-RPG. lol

K^2
14th Feb 2009, 08:40
If it pays off it will be as big as Bioshock maybe even bigger.
I think, that's what everyone is afraid of.

jordan_a
14th Feb 2009, 23:18
Done, Square acquires Eidos.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/technology/article5715805.ece

Bono
15th Feb 2009, 00:22
Well, now let's hope they won't trash the T one.

Larington
15th Feb 2009, 03:04
Oh that old topic, sorry, but I felt this one was news/discussion worthy enough that it deserved its own thread. The relation to past restructuring concerns is somewhat tenous though I suppose thats my opinion there.

Mezmerizer
15th Feb 2009, 16:27
Naked elves! Yeeeyy :nut:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
15th Feb 2009, 19:15
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=74939

Yeah, merged both threads and updated title. :)

AaronJ
15th Feb 2009, 20:59

You forgot, Adam will have an insane haircut. Someone, shop it.

Also, this thread merging business is getting a little crazy. How is a new user supposed to navigate all these pages? That's why there are so many new threads that have already been done.

Jerion
15th Feb 2009, 22:18
^^ I'm almost to the point of agreeing with you. The thread merging thing is getting a little redonkulous. I think it's about time to start fresh with some of these topics, in separate threads.

To paraphrase Leo Gold:

"Some threads are so big, you don't even know which topic you're replying for. That's terror. Terror built into the system."

jordan_a
15th Feb 2009, 22:29
If threads are correctly named there should be no problem, that implies moderators do it.

Having numerous threads on one subject is just a nightmare, for the elders and newcomers.

Tracer Tong
15th Feb 2009, 23:12

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/technology/article5715805.ece

Indeed a sad day. Now DX3 will be PS3 only :(

Lady_Of_The_Vine
15th Feb 2009, 23:16
If threads are correctly named there should be no problem, that implies moderators do it.

Having numerous threads on one subject is just a nightmare, for the elders and newcomers.

I agree with you. :)
We can't please everyone... some want threads merged, others don't. :nut:
So long as titles are updated then it all makes sense... and that's what I did on this occasion.

For established members, there shouldn't really be an issue about how many pages a thread contains. You guys have already been part of it and discussed things. New members are the ones who want to read past discussion, I like to do that myself as a newbie on a forum. I'd rather the same conversation on a topic is in one place. I hate having to conduct a board search just to look for older, locked threads so that I can update myself on the history.

Obviously, if a new thread discusses something more unique to what has already been discussed, no merging takes place. This is evident on the board currently.

Anyway, that's my view on all this. :p
Merging certain/appropriate/similar threads is a logical thing to do.

Jerion
15th Feb 2009, 23:23
Indeed a sad day. Now DX3 will be PS3 only :(

Anybody tries that, they should expect to hear the Beeping of a GEP Gun locking on. :naughty:

Also, thread title changed.

3nails4you
16th Feb 2009, 00:18

Hopefully they will keep on most of the workers. They may simply be acquiring the business and name and not changing much of the business itself. Happens all the time.

PugPug
16th Feb 2009, 04:38
Through The Looking Glass, now Eidos.

If Bioware goes under, I'm finding a new hobby.

Though technically Bioware was already bought out, by EA I believe, though they still get to make great games. Which isn't always the case after a buyout.

Ashpolt
16th Feb 2009, 21:11
Square Enix explains why they want Eidos. (http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/16/square-enix-explains-why-they-want-eidos/)

They actually mention that they have their eyes on the Deus Ex franchise. I just hope to God they don't say anything other than "more stats and non-regenerating health" because to be honest, Deus Ex is not a series that will benefit from the Eastern touch, especially considering how much they hate first person. :S

[EDIT] Oh, also:

I don't think they've actually released anything post-buyout, so "they still make good games" is a little premature.

Mass Effect PC was released post-buyout, and was a lot better than the 360 version. Yeah, it's largely a moot point, but a point nonetheless. :P On a side note, I don't get all the hatred for EA nowadays; sure it was understandable a few years ago, but they're actually releasing decent games nowadays, and - shock! - even making original IPs. There are a lot worse companies out there (looking at you, Ubisoft, and your inability to make even half decent PC games nowadays.)

SageSavage
16th Feb 2009, 21:29
Deus Ex is not a series that will benefit from the Eastern touch, especially considering how much they hate first person.

Although I hope Square Enix doesn't try to change anything that has already been planned, it's not true that the franchise couldn't benefit from a "eastern touch". There is plenty of Japanese Cyberpunk and stylish Hongkong-action that would blend in extremely well with DX.

pewbeng
16th Feb 2009, 21:51
Square/Enix acquiring Eidos made me think of
http://www.legorobotcomics.com/comics/84.jpg

Jerion
16th Feb 2009, 22:15
René, can you comment on this yet?

AaronJ
16th Feb 2009, 23:40
To be perfectly honest, I think this is bad news for Square. I know not many will mention it on these forums, nut if Ubisoft had a bad rep for PC titles, and if EA has a bad rep for, well, being EA, than Eidos has a bad rep for being *******s to the gamers. I won't soon forget their absolute reluctance to allow machinima, or their Cease & Desists. This is like absorbing a virus for Square. Not a good decision.

Although, hopefully Square will just take the Eidos titles and toss out the bad seeds.

dark_angel_7
17th Feb 2009, 11:43
To be perfectly honest, I think this is bad news for Square. I know not many will mention it on these forums, nut if Ubisoft had a bad rep for PC titles, and if EA has a bad rep for, well, being EA, than Eidos has a bad rep for being *******s to the gamers. I won't soon forget their absolute reluctance to allow machinima, or their Cease & Desists. This is like absorbing a virus for Square. Not a good decision.

Although, hopefully Square will just take the Eidos titles and toss out the bad seeds.

Admittedly Eidos could work on better technical support/Patches (at least Ubisoft does that much) but I think Eidos is a good publisher.

BTW why are people so worried about Square making Eidos games more Japanese? Didnt anyone read the news? They're buying Eidos to get more of a presence in the western gaming markets.

Ashpolt
17th Feb 2009, 12:02
Admittedly Eidos could work on better technical support/Patches (at least Ubisoft does that much) but I think Eidos is a good publisher.

LOLWUT? Ubisoft are terrible at patching their games. When Silent Hunter IV launched, resolution changes only affected the HUD, so the 3D component of the game always ran in 1024 x 768. It took them until the THIRD patch, some 4 months down the line, to fix that. There was also a glitch where if you pressed the A key, the game would crash completely, which wasn't fixed til the second patch.

Or take Far Cry 2: there's a well known issue where game saves corrupt from certain (fairly broad) circumstances at around 27%, then if you survive that again at 62%, and again at 74%. This problem also messes up past saves, and they've said they have no intention of patching it.

BTW why are people so worried about Square making Eidos games more Japanese? Didnt anyone read the news? They're buying Eidos to get more of a presence in the western gaming markets.

I think a lot of it is fairly jokey - I don't think anyone really expects them to force EM to give Adam girly hair or a giant Buster sword - but on the other hand, any company that takes over another is going to impose certain values on the acquired company. Also, saying they want a greater presence in Western markets doesn't at all say they don't want to exert their own influence on those markets. I could start a company and want a large presence in the Japanese market, but still run my company with English values.

Avantenor
17th Feb 2009, 19:16
I agree on behalf of EA, Ashpolt.

I'm optimistic that SquareEnix won't touch the DX franchise. They are Japanese, no aliens from outer space. ;)

Larington
18th Feb 2009, 00:00
I think I'll resist the temptation to speculate on what may or may not happen.

René
18th Feb 2009, 14:36
René, can you comment on this yet?

We don't really know what will happen. That was an offer but it's not a done deal so we continue until we hear otherwise.

3nails4you
18th Feb 2009, 15:56
In other words, you continue to be completely ambiguous about details :P

J/k, thanks for being around to give us updates and stuff on all your hard work :D :) :thumb:

WhatsHisFace
18th Feb 2009, 17:39
The only good that might come of this, is that Anachronox could be revived.

Kevyne-Shandris
18th Feb 2009, 18:01
They actually mention that they have their eyes on the Deus Ex franchise.

Way it's going it won't be much of a franchise. I said it months ago, quite explicitly, that if the franchise doesn't keep to the original it will fail -- for it's the original is what gamers remember and hope to continue.

With the release of F.E.A.R. 2, my prediction - again - came true. With DX3 going down a similar pipe with the interest more in creativity than continuity, mark my words again this expansion is going to fail, too.

Going back to DX1. At this rate, probably going to stay there, too. Glad I didn't get my hopes too high.

Jerion
18th Feb 2009, 18:31
Way it's going it won't be much of a franchise. I said it months ago, quite explicitly, that if the franchise doesn't keep to the original it will fail -- for it's the original is what gamers remember and hope to continue.

With the release of F.E.A.R. 2, my prediction - again - came true. With DX3 going down a similar pipe with the interest more in creativity than continuity, mark my words again this expansion is going to fail, too.

Going back to DX1. At this rate, probably going to stay there, too. Glad I didn't get my hopes too high.

If you ask me, the industry as a whole needs more creativity and less repetition of old games. Creativity, not idiocy. There is a distinction, though many games recently don't seem to realize it. :hmm:

WhatsHisFace
18th Feb 2009, 19:03
If you ask me, the industry as a whole needs more creativity and less repetition of old games. Creativity, not idiocy. There is a distinction, though many games recently don't seem to realize it. :hmm:

If you're making a sequel, a large degree of repetition (namely game mechanics and gameplay style) expected. Creativity is for new IPs.

Ashpolt
18th Feb 2009, 20:05
If you ask me, the industry as a whole needs more creativity and less repetition of old games.

I would absolutey, 99% agree with you on this. Sadly, that "other" 1% is Deus Ex, because there hasn't been another game quite like it since, and I would absolutely relish a sequel that stuck true to the values of the original.

AaronJ
18th Feb 2009, 21:08

False. Look at the Star Wars Battlefront series. Basically, you're saying take Baatlefront II, and replace it with...The Force Unleashed? Again, false. Battlefront II was an excellent sequel and an excellent game. In terms of gameplay and feel, it was an improvement. A.k.a, a sequel.

SageSavage
18th Feb 2009, 21:17
The rare occasion of a good/better sequel doesn't make Mr. K's argument false. Certain elements of new games always require a lot of creativity, even if you leave the mechanics untouched, you'll need to put a lot of creativity into story and characters, for example.

Jerion
18th Feb 2009, 21:20
Just so I'm clear, I wasn't saying that idiocy = repetition, I'm saying that some things are creative, and some things are idiotic. Some idiotic elements can also be a repeat of elements from the previous game, and when that happens one has to find a creative replacement. I've got something I really want to say here but I can't find a way to say it. :scratch:

False. Look at the Star Wars Battlefront series. Basically, you're saying take Battlefront II, and replace it with...The Force Unleashed? Again, false. Battlefront II was an excellent sequel and an excellent game. In terms of gameplay and feel, it was an improvement. A.k.a, a sequel.

Okay, good example of a solid sequel. :) I can also say that the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series pulled off some nice additions with each installment. :thumb:

Can't say the same for FarCry 2 though. I want my $35 back. :(

AaronJ
18th Feb 2009, 21:38
I've got something I really want to say here but I can't find a way to say it. :scratch:

You can admit you find auto-regen stupid too. We'll call the authorities, they can protect you.

3nails4you
18th Feb 2009, 21:55
The Sims 2 was an excellent sequel also, if you can call it that. And I really enjoyed all of the Splinter Cell games, especially the 4th one. Double Agent was great, I can't WAIT for Conviction.

K^2
18th Feb 2009, 23:27
Square/Enix acquiring Eidos made me think of
{img}
Vader-kun? He should most definitely be addressed as Vader-san, despite Emperor being his master. Especially by a grunt.

jordan_a
24th Feb 2009, 17:00
Square Enix heads to Steam (http://www.edge-online.com/news/square-enix-heads-steam)

3nails4you
24th Feb 2009, 18:12
So does this mean DX3 could be on Steam?! I LOVE STEAM! WOOOO!

WhatsHisFace
24th Feb 2009, 18:20
Deus Ex 3 is probably going to be on Steam the day of release. Eidos seems to be good about putting their games on Steam, as long as they don't have to tweak anything to make them run on Windows XP (where the hell are Thief 1 and 2?)

jordan_a
24th Feb 2009, 18:44
Latest news (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/square-acquisition-of-eidos-picks-up-speed)

Malah
24th Feb 2009, 19:37
@the Steam joyride

I hope the European Commission beats some sense into Valve, so I won't have to pay €50 for it. I own the Eidos pack and many other games, but I haven't bought a single one on Steam since "local currency" was introduced.

If you live in the EU, send a complaint to speed this up. (http://steamunpowered.eu/example.html)

/OT

WhatsHisFace
24th Feb 2009, 22:39
Latest news (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/square-acquisition-of-eidos-picks-up-speed)

"Valuable Eidos properties include Tomb Raider, Hitman and Kane & Lynch: Dead Men. "

Hahaha, guess he's not a fan of "Doom Ex 3." :lol:

AaronJ
25th Feb 2009, 02:19
"Valuable Eidos properties include Tomb Raider, Hitman and Kane & Lynch: Dead Men. "

Hahaha, guess he's not a fan of "Doom Ex 3." :lol:

HAHAHA! Kane and Lynch, valuable!!

jordan_a
27th Feb 2009, 14:49
Vote on March (http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=22499)

HouseOfPain
28th Feb 2009, 01:46
Vote on March (http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=22499)
I'm beginning to think more and more that we'll never see a game the likes of Deus Ex in the near to far future.

*sigh* :(

Necros
2nd Mar 2009, 20:20
I was hoping for a WB bid, guess that's out of the picture now. :( Let's hope Square won't F things up with the Deus Ex and the Thief franchise.

Necros
3rd Mar 2009, 10:30
I hope so. :hmm:

Larington
4th Mar 2009, 18:10
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=22566

Newer gamasutra article, Eidos could be under ownership of Square Enix as soon as 6th May. I can only guess at the consequences, mergers/buyouts are always characterised by uncertainty.

WhatsHisFace
4th Mar 2009, 18:39
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=22566

Newer gamasutra article, Eidos could be under ownership of Square Enix as soon as 6th May. I can only guess at the consequences, mergers/buyouts are always characterised by uncertainty.

It will start with a lot of lay-offs, I'm sure.

bghs2003
6th Mar 2009, 08:56
edit: sorry about the repost

http://www.gametrailers.com/viewnews.php?id=456

Will Deus Ex 3 receive more or less development time/money? Or will new management not change a thing?

I truly hope they treat Dues Ex as a flagship title and give the game as much time as it needs, but with the worldwide recession Square might push the game out before it is ready just to get the money they will need for their other projects. If they are serious about expanding into the western market they should treat their newly acquired properties with care to ensure they remain profitable for year or even decades to come.

I am curious how this affects Dues Ex 3’s team moral, if at all.

Jerion
6th Mar 2009, 09:03

Will Deus Ex 3 receive more or less development time/money? Or will new management not change a thing?

I truly hope they treat Dues Ex as a flagship title and give the game as much time as it needs, but with the worldwide recession Square might push the game out before it is ready just to get the money they will need for their other projects. If they are serious about expanding into the western market they should treat their newly acquired properties with care to ensure they remain profitable for year or even decades to come.

Things will certainly be busier at the studio week after next. Aside from that, I don't think much will change. Wait and see though.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
6th Mar 2009, 09:04

Your thread has been merged into existing discussion.
Welcome to the forum. :cool:

Larington
6th Mar 2009, 09:33
I don't know how much truth there is to it (I'd need to speak/write/read a different language) but I've been given the impression that Metal Gear Solid 4 for example, is only actually popular with western audiences, the easterners hate it. It was developed by the east with westerners in mind, or rather, the westerner currency/monies in mind. As to DX3 and its visual style and design principles, I'd have no idea how it would be recieved in the east or by executives based in the east. I'd hope they'd be smart enough leave it be and see what happens before getting any ideas about changing things - IE if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

K^2
6th Mar 2009, 09:45
What if it is broken? That's the impression I'm getting. Maybe Square stepping in and making major changes to the project would be a good thing. Yes, there is a danger of them canceling project, but if that means that someone else will make a game that is closer to original, it would be worth the associated delays.

jordan_a
6th Mar 2009, 12:58
Are you serious?

El_Bel
6th Mar 2009, 13:21
Why are you asking?

El_Bel
6th Mar 2009, 16:12
I dont. It sounds sweet, because of the multiple paths and shet. A simple change of name will be enough.

Larington
6th Mar 2009, 16:58
LOL, I'd love to be working on a game, pouring my heart and soul into my work only to glance at the forums on my lunch break and see someone claiming their hoping the game I'm working on will be cancelled.

Only on the Internet.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
6th Mar 2009, 17:01
TBH, if I look at DX3 as it looks right now, I want it to be cancelled.

OMG, you poor thing! :eek: :D

Well, thankfully it won't be cancelled. I'm looking forward to DX3 very much. :cool:

K^2
6th Mar 2009, 18:34
LOL, I'd love to be working on a game, pouring my heart and soul into my work only to glance at the forums on my lunch break and see someone claiming their hoping the game I'm working on will be cancelled.

Only on the Internet.
If you are feeling down, and you need someone to tell you something positive, Internet probably isn't the place to go.

And if you really are certain that you are doing a good job, comments like that won't bother you.

WhatsHisFace
6th Mar 2009, 20:58
Seriously, call it SnowBlind 2. :mad2:

AaronJ
6th Mar 2009, 21:23
I don't want them to cancel the game. I know some aspects have been a letdown so far, but I'm the kind of guy that wants more Smallville seasons. I don't care how bad things get, I want to see more.

But if it really is a letdown, worst case scenario: The community should just not consider it canon on our own.

SageSavage
6th Mar 2009, 21:55
We seriously need an "Ignore all posts by"-option! I am not joking - the sooner the better.

Edit: Ah, I've just found the ignore list in the UserCP: [Miscellaneous] -> [Buddy / Ignore Lists] and there seems to be a handy Greasemonkey-script, too: http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php?t=23573

Lady_Of_The_Vine
6th Mar 2009, 22:03
We seriously need an "Ignore all posts by"-option! I am not joking - the sooner the better.

Just do it like a cat... yawn, stretch and then relax completely. :cool:

SageSavage
6th Mar 2009, 22:15
Can't... ran out of catnip.

gamer0004
6th Mar 2009, 22:17
Moderator: Your appointment to Eidos Montreal should be finalized within the week. I've already discussed the matter with Kier.
-=fox=-: I take it he was agreeable?
Moderator: He didn't really have a choice.
-=fox=-: Has his computer been infected with the virus?
Moderator: Oh, yes, most certainly. When I mentioned that we could put him on the priority list for the Anti-Virus software, he was so willing it was almost pathetic.
-=fox=-: These posts -- the rioting is intensifying to the point where we may not be able to contain it.
Moderator: Why contain it? Let it spill over into the schools and churches, let the bodies pile up in the streets. In the end, they'll beg us to save them.
-=fox=-: I've received reports of armed attacks on servers. There's not enough positive information to go around, and the fans are starting to get desperate.
Moderator: Of course they're desperate. They can smell their death, and the sound they'll make rattling their cage will serve as a warning to other fanboys.
-=fox=-: Mmm. I hope you're not underestimating the problem. They may not go as quietly as you think -- intelligence indicates they're behind an anti-Deus Ex 3 blog.
Moderator: A bunch of pretentious nerds playing at running the internet. But the world left them behind long ago. We are the future.
-=fox=-: We have other problems.
Moderator: Square Enix?
-=fox=-: Formed as the result of a merger between rivals Square Co. and the Enix Corporation. I have someone in place, though. I'm more concerned about the game journalists -- they're on the internet as well.
Moderator: Our bribing department is far in advance of the possibilities of the fans, as is our sense of aesthetics. And their... ethical inflexibility has allowed us to make progress in areas they refuse to consider.
-=fox=-: Health regeneration?
Moderator: Among other things -- but I must admit that I've been somewhat disappointed in the performance of the line of sight stealth.
-=fox=-: The universal ammo should be put into the game soon though. It's currently undergoing preparation and will be operational within six months. My people will continue to report on its progress. If necessary, we will stop talking about the line-of-sight stealth.
Moderator: We've had to endure much, you and I, but soon there will be order again, a new age. Dugas spoke of the multi-kill augmentation. Soon that augmentation will be a reality, and we will be the ones who use it.
Or use something better. The "Ignore all posts by"-option!

Lady_Of_The_Vine
6th Mar 2009, 22:17
Can't... ran out of catnip.
Hehe, in that case just get your claws out and start scratching anyone who's disturbing your peace. :D

Spyhopping
6th Mar 2009, 22:20
Just do it like a cat... yawn, stretch and then relax completely. :cool:

I might do like my cat and hibernate with one eye open 'till something interesting happens :p

Dev blog please!

SageSavage
6th Mar 2009, 22:23
Right now I experience great pleasure by reading "gamer0004 This user is on your Ignore List." - although I have to admit, that I am a bit curious what he posted. Maybe I should actually give this Greasmonkey-script a try.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
6th Mar 2009, 22:24
I might do like my cat and hibernate with one eye open 'till something interesting happens :p

Dev blog please!

Siberian cats have that down to a tee. :D

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc159/eternaltreasure/siberian-cat-winking.jpg

Spyhopping
6th Mar 2009, 22:24
I'd find it too hard to put anyone on ignore. I'm too curious.... Like a cat ;)