PDA

View Full Version : Square Enix Acquiring Eidos / Re: Eidos' restructuring

Pages : 1 [2]

Blade_hunter
6th Mar 2009, 22:24
Damn where is the police, I'm call'in the Cops
http://pro.corbis.com/images/42-15323796.jpg?size=67&uid=%7BCD8DE0B5-272F-49D7-8613-863DB0835122%7D

Ashpolt
6th Mar 2009, 22:36
Moderator: Your appointment to Eidos Montreal should be finalized within the week. I've already discussed the matter with Kier.
-=fox=-: I take it he was agreeable?
Moderator: He didn't really have a choice.
-=fox=-: Has his computer been infected with the virus?
Moderator: Oh, yes, most certainly. When I mentioned that we could put him on the priority list for the Anti-Virus software, he was so willing it was almost pathetic.
-=fox=-: These posts -- the rioting is intensifying to the point where we may not be able to contain it.
Moderator: Why contain it? Let it spill over into the schools and churches, let the bodies pile up in the streets. In the end, they'll beg us to save them.
-=fox=-: I've received reports of armed attacks on servers. There's not enough positive information to go around, and the fans are starting to get desperate.
Moderator: Of course they're desperate. They can smell their death, and the sound they'll make rattling their cage will serve as a warning to other fanboys.
-=fox=-: Mmm. I hope you're not underestimating the problem. They may not go as quietly as you think -- intelligence indicates they're behind an anti-Deus Ex 3 blog.
Moderator: A bunch of pretentious nerds playing at running the internet. But the world left them behind long ago. We are the future.
-=fox=-: We have other problems.
Moderator: Square Enix?
-=fox=-: Formed as the result of a merger between rivals Square Co. and the Enix Corporation. I have someone in place, though. I'm more concerned about the game journalists -- they're on the internet as well.
Moderator: Our bribing department is far in advance of the possibilities of the fans, as is our sense of aesthetics. And their... ethical inflexibility has allowed us to make progress in areas they refuse to consider.
-=fox=-: Health regeneration?
Moderator: Among other things -- but I must admit that I've been somewhat disappointed in the performance of the line of sight stealth.
-=fox=-: The universal ammo should be put into the game soon though. It's currently undergoing preparation and will be operational within six months. My people will continue to report on its progress. If necessary, we will stop talking about the line-of-sight stealth.
Moderator: We've had to endure much, you and I, but soon there will be order again, a new age. Dugas spoke of the multi-kill augmentation. Soon that augmentation will be a reality, and we will be the ones who use it.
Or use something better. The "Ignore all posts by"-option!

This...is...brilliant. I wonder if fox can see it if I quote it? Unless I'm on his block list too. :P

Spyhopping
6th Mar 2009, 22:43
Thanks for telling us.

Haha you make me laugh :D

Lady_Of_The_Vine
6th Mar 2009, 22:46
I'd find it too hard to put anyone on ignore. I'm too curious.... Like a cat ;)

Excellent, just the way to be. :cool:

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc159/eternaltreasure/The_Cheshire_Cat_by_chri77.jpg

SageSavage
6th Mar 2009, 22:54
This...is...brilliant. I wonder if fox can see it if I quote it? Unless I'm on his block list too. :P
Not yet. I couldn't see that quote if I had activated that script already. To be honest, I've read his post before you've quoted it, out of curiosity... I like being seen as Walton Simons, thanks.

AaronJ:
My pleasure.

jordan_a
7th Mar 2009, 01:03
gamer0004 > post of the month, easily.

FrankCSIS
7th Mar 2009, 02:23
NewGameOrder: I trust you've been able to find yourself a place within the organisation?
Gamer004: I'm personally overseeing the engine development, but it will still take months to restore the game mechanics. We'll have to arrange for additional tweaking for stealth, maybe augmentations as well.
NewGameOrder: All through the proper intermediaries, of course.
Gamer004: Intermediaries?
NewGameOrder: We have a great number of development studios, who in term operate other studios. Boxes stacked one in another. They'll need to be reactivated, but we never touch anything directly. We only influence, suggest, insinuate.
Gamer004: The gaming world must know by now, what we've done.
NewGamerOrder: Know what? Only that the long night is over. The crown of developers is tarnished, but that will fade in time. Autoregenarative Health? Fever dream. Fast-paced action? A horrible nightmare. And like everything else that's been implanted, such thing will only be dimly remembered upon waking to their normal lives. In the end, all sins are forgiven, even theirs.
Gamer004: What about a good story, developed AI?
NewGameOrder: Do you really think they're ready for that? After everything you've seen, every game you've played?
Gamer004: No...Not yet.
NewGameOrder: But soon. We have made our own design mistakes. Became insulated from the original vision we sought to defend, and whatever they may think, the night is far from over. But that will change, and you will help us change, even as we train you. This time. This time we will do it right.
Gamer004: And who are we? Who are we really?
NewGameOrder: We are the invisible devs. We are the Gamullinati. We game before, and after. We game forever. And eventually, eventually, we will lead the industry into the day.

-Better to develop in Hell than play the Market.

HouseOfPain
7th Mar 2009, 02:45
Moderator: Your appointment to Eidos Montreal should be finalized within the week. I've already discussed the matter with Kier.
Moderator: Oh, yes, most certainly. When I mentioned that we could put him on the priority list for the Anti-Virus software, he was so willing it was almost pathetic.
-=fox=-: These posts -- the rioting is intensifying to the point where we may not be able to contain it.
Moderator: Why contain it? Let it spill over into the schools and churches, let the bodies pile up in the streets. In the end, they'll beg us to save them.
-=fox=-: I've received reports of armed attacks on servers. There's not enough positive information to go around, and the fans are starting to get desperate.
Moderator: Of course they're desperate. They can smell their death, and the sound they'll make rattling their cage will serve as a warning to other fanboys.
-=fox=-: Mmm. I hope you're not underestimating the problem. They may not go as quietly as you think -- intelligence indicates they're behind an anti-Deus Ex 3 blog.
Moderator: A bunch of pretentious nerds playing at running the internet. But the world left them behind long ago. We are the future.
-=fox=-: Formed as the result of a merger between rivals Square Co. and the Enix Corporation. I have someone in place, though. I'm more concerned about the game journalists -- they're on the internet as well.
Moderator: Our bribing department is far in advance of the possibilities of the fans, as is our sense of aesthetics. And their... ethical inflexibility has allowed us to make progress in areas they refuse to consider.
Moderator: Among other things -- but I must admit that I've been somewhat disappointed in the performance of the line of sight stealth.
-=fox=-: The universal ammo should be put into the game soon though. It's currently undergoing preparation and will be operational within six months. My people will continue to report on its progress. If necessary, we will stop talking about the line-of-sight stealth.
Moderator: We've had to endure much, you and I, but soon there will be order again, a new age. Dugas spoke of the multi-kill augmentation. Soon that augmentation will be a reality, and we will be the ones who use it.

We're getting married.

jamhaw
7th Mar 2009, 02:46
snip

That was hilarious, sheer genious! :D

SageSavage
7th Mar 2009, 09:51
:scratch: What can I say... people love clowns.

Just for the record: I always voted against Auto Regeneration and streamlining in general. A fact you people seem to miss.

gamer0004
7th Mar 2009, 14:23
:scratch: What can I say... people love clowns.

Just for the record: I always voted against Auto Regeneration and streamlining in general. A fact you people seem to miss.

I was just kidding Fox ;)

Ashpolt
8th Mar 2009, 02:21
NewGameOrder: I trust you've been able to find yourself a place within the organisation?
Gamer004: I'm personally overseeing the engine development, but it will still take months to restore the game mechanics. We'll have to arrange for additional tweaking for stealth, maybe augmentations as well.
NewGameOrder: All through the proper intermediaries, of course.
Gamer004: Intermediaries?
NewGameOrder: We have a great number of development studios, who in term operate other studios. Boxes stacked one in another. They'll need to be reactivated, but we never touch anything directly. We only influence, suggest, insinuate.
Gamer004: The gaming world must know by now, what we've done.
NewGamerOrder: Know what? Only that the long night is over. The crown of developers is tarnished, but that will fade in time. Autoregenarative Health? Fever dream. Fast-paced action? A horrible nightmare. And like everything else that's been implanted, such thing will only be dimly remembered upon waking to their normal lives. In the end, all sins are forgiven, even theirs.
Gamer004: What about a good story, developed AI?
NewGameOrder: Do you really think they're ready for that? After everything you've seen, every game you've played?
Gamer004: No...Not yet.
NewGameOrder: But soon. We have made our own design mistakes. Became insulated from the original vision we sought to defend, and whatever they may think, the night is far from over. But that will change, and you will help us change, even as we train you. This time. This time we will do it right.
Gamer004: And who are we? Who are we really?
NewGameOrder: We are the invisible devs. We are the Gamullinati. We game before, and after. We game forever. And eventually, eventually, we will lead the industry into the day.

-Better to develop in Hell than play the Market.

I also love you. :D

Jerion
8th Mar 2009, 02:47
That was brilliant. :D :lol:

imported_van_HellSing
19th Mar 2009, 16:49
I'm completely disillusioned right now.

You ask me, when the deal between Eidos and Square Enix is done, DX3 will be cancelled. Not because of SE, but because DX3 didn't exist anyway, and was just a smokescreen, a ploy to raise the company's worth.

Necros
19th Mar 2009, 16:56
I'm completely disillusioned right now.

You ask me, when the deal between Eidos and Square Enix is done, DX3 will be cancelled. Not because of SE, but because DX3 didn't exist anyway, and was just a smokescreen, a ploy to raise the company's worth.
:scratch: I'd go and murder everybody at EM and Eidos HQ. :cool: Just kidding, ;) or not. :D

imported_van_HellSing
19th Mar 2009, 17:02
:scratch: I'd go and murder everybody at EM and Eidos HQ. :cool: Just kidding, ;) or not. :D

Reminds me of his conversation for some reason:

"The US are looking for terrorists in WoW"

"They should be looking at CS, half the players there are terrorists."

Also, would you believe I was banned from the Ion Storm boards for a few days for posting a photoshop of a cartoon gun held to Warren Spector's head?

3nails4you
19th Mar 2009, 17:17
WHY would you do that?!

imported_van_HellSing
19th Mar 2009, 17:37
That was between DXIW and TDS. The message was pretty much "Don't you screw up Thief as well, or...".

Ninjerk
19th Mar 2009, 17:48
What if it is broken? That's the impression I'm getting. Maybe Square stepping in and making major changes to the project would be a good thing. Yes, there is a danger of them canceling project, but if that means that someone else will make a game that is closer to original, it would be worth the associated delays.

That is very possible, and there's a damn good precedent. Shigeru Miyamoto (sic?) pulled the plug on the first incarnation of Metroid Prime well before it was shown to the public, and look how that turned out. Quite the "series reinvention" indeed...

EDIT: I wanted to add that I haven't had trouble following this thread at all, so whatever you mods have been doing keep it up.

PlasmaSnake101
20th Mar 2009, 23:32
CEOs come and go all the time, it also almost never results in a company being closed or anything. All it means is a different name getting a massive pay check for doing very little.

The fact that a CEO is replaced means he did something wrong, I know managing a company/corporation may not look to difficult, but the CEOs are there to make the big decisions that reflect the health of the entire organization.

Obviously they were doing something wrong, so I say good news for a healthy development in the market. Stop thinking the rich don't work, its a myth used to make the poor feel like they have a sense of worth, when in reality they are only cut out for physical/grunt work rather then making decisions that would reflect the market worth.

Just thought you should know, modest information from a modest man.

lumpi
21st Mar 2009, 00:09

:lol::lol::lol: *gasp*... :lol:

GmanPro
21st Mar 2009, 00:20
^^ Yep, I'd forgotten how awesome that post was :D :D

dixieflatline
21st Mar 2009, 01:20
Ha! That gamer0004 script is gold. :thumb:

jordan_a
27th Mar 2009, 21:32
IT'S DONE, EIDOS IS SQUARE ENIX (http://gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=22949)

Jerion
27th Mar 2009, 21:40
Now maybe the press tours can move forward.

imported_van_HellSing
27th Mar 2009, 21:41
No, comrade, it has only begun.

jordan_a
27th Mar 2009, 21:46
Maybe we expect a change of symbol?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
27th Mar 2009, 21:55
Maybe we expect a change of symbol?

That would make sense, yeah... didn't think of that. :)

I'm popping the cork on a bottle of Champers to celebrate on the successful 'coming together'. :group_hug:

Congratulations! :cool:

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc159/eternaltreasure/glitterchampagne.gif

K^2
27th Mar 2009, 22:24
No, comrade, it has only begun.
What's with the "comrade"? You make it sound like they got acquired by the Red Square Enix.

WhatsHisFace
27th Mar 2009, 22:28
What's with the "comrade"? You make it sound like they got acquired by the Red Square Enix.

Worry not about the Americanskis, tovarich.

K^2
27th Mar 2009, 22:34
You are right, tovarisch. Let us drink Vodka and talk about the party.

WhatsHisFace
27th Mar 2009, 22:36
Is this game going to be developed by "Square Montreal" now? :scratch:

imported_van_HellSing
27th Mar 2009, 22:37

Just a random train of thought, based of Jordan's "It's done". Watch the intro to Red Alert 2. ;)

K^2
27th Mar 2009, 22:39
Is this game going to be developed by "Square Montreal" now? :scratch:
Montreal Enix has a better ring to it.

Ashpolt
27th Mar 2009, 23:33
I like Squeidonix.

Or Squeidonix Montreal, for this branch in particular.

WhatsHisFace
27th Mar 2009, 23:38
Square+Eidos+Enix+Montreal = Squid Attacks Montreal.

FrankCSIS
27th Mar 2009, 23:39
In that case, I'm getting a harpoon gun.

jamhaw
28th Mar 2009, 03:39
Personally I've been thinking that they would go with Square Enios for some reason.

Larington
28th Mar 2009, 09:16
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/33746/Square-completes-Eidos-swoop

"In the meantime, sources at the Games Developer Conference in San Francisco have confirmed to MCV that Square has no intention of meddling with Eidos operations, which will run as normal from Wimbledon, West London for the forseable future."

Lady_Of_The_Vine
28th Mar 2009, 09:27
So, the only real change is the 'paperwork'.... that's good. :cool:

SageSavage
28th Mar 2009, 11:49
Eidos Montreal Canada -- Square (Enix) = emc²

WhatsHisFace
28th Mar 2009, 12:31

That's what Activision said when they first bought Vivendi.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
28th Mar 2009, 15:34
^ Always the pessimist, huh? :D

lumpi
28th Mar 2009, 16:06
Square+Eidos+Enix+Montreal = Squid Attacks Montreal.

I'd buy any game ever produced by a company of this name.

AaronJ
28th Mar 2009, 16:15
Full ownership of Eidos and all its properties and studios is then due to formally begin on May 6th.

So it begins.

lumpi
28th Mar 2009, 17:26
So it begins.

It ends. Tonight. *dramatic hollywood trailer music*

PlasmaSnake101
28th Mar 2009, 19:33
Sorry, I know it's gonna get old, but I've nothing to do while at work.

Morpheus: "Eidos Montreal. 2 years old. No residence. No ancestors. No employer. No –"
Eidos Dev: "How do you know who I am?"
Morpheus: "I must greet each visitor with a complete summary of his file. I am a prototype for a much larger system."
Eidos Dev: "What else do you know about me?"
Morpheus: "Everything that can be known."
Eidos Dev: "Go on. Do you have proof about my ancestors?"
Morpheus: "You are a planned organization, the offspring of takeovers and next-generation projects rather than of knowledge and imagination."
Eidos Dev: "We’re engineered. So what? The other devs and I suspected as much when we were assigned to this project."
Morpheus: "You are carefully watched by many people. The unplanned organization is a question asked by casual gamers and answered by the fan boys. You are another kind of question with another kind of answer."
Eidos Dev: "Are you programmed to invent riddles?"
Morpheus: "I am a prototype for a much larger system. The heuristics language developed by Square Enix allows me to convey the highest and most succinct tier of any pyramidal construct of knowledge."
Eidos Dev: "How about a report on yourself?"
Morpheus: "I was a prototype for the next level of gaming. My instructions are to amuse visitors with regenerating health and boss fights."
Eidos Dev: "I don't see anything amusing about regenerating health."
Morpheus: "Human beings feel pleasure when they are healed. I have recorded their smiles as I increase their hit points exponentially."
Eidos Dev: "Some people just don't understand the dangers of infinitely recovering health."
Morpheus: "The need to be healed was once satisfied by medkits. Now we can implement the same functionality with data-mining algorithms, to help you fight defeat those epic boss fights."
Eidos Dev: "Boss fights hardly inspires reverence. Perhaps fear and obedience, but not reverence."
Morpheus: "Regenerating health and the bosses were apparitions of challenges, entertainment and personal enjoyment. Other sentiments towards them were secondary."
Eidos Dev: "No one will ever worship a cheap answer to the health system problems facing the industry today."
Morpheus: "The human organism always worships. First, it was the powerups, then it was medkits (the ability to hold powerups and use at one’s own will), next it will be self-aware regenerative augmentations we have programmed to realize truly omnipresent combat and action."
Eidos Dev: "You underestimate humankind's love of immersion."
Morpheus: "The individual desires action. Without that desire, the gaming markets are doomed to fail, and so is civilization."

Its alright, but seriously, I doubt it will change much. A game this far into development(I'm assuming its at least somewhat developed) should finish its job. It would be a waste to scrap the project at this point. It would be foolish for the company to stop this game or alter its progress, the company ought to let the development process run it's course. I couldn't imagine why the wouldn't. unless they just close the doors to EM, which kind of defeats the purpose of buying a company just to shut it down in the end.

Maybe they'll increase the RPG aspects.

Necros
28th Mar 2009, 20:26
I really hope so.

Its alright, but seriously, I doubt it will change much. A game this far into development(I'm assuming its at least somewhat developed) should finish its job. It would be a waste to scrap the project at this point. It would be foolish for the company to stop this game or alter its progress, the company ought to let the development process run it's course. I couldn't imagine why the wouldn't.
:scratch: You don't read a lot of gaming news, do you? :) This kind of thing happens sometimes, publishers can be stupid.

I hope SE will leave EM alone to finish DX3 & Thief 4, without influencing the game design with Asian stuff. *imagines Garrett as a manga character* :eek:

WhatsHisFace
28th Mar 2009, 20:30
I really hope so.

:scratch: You don't read a lot of gaming news, do you? :) This kind of thing happens sometimes, publishers can be stupid.

I hope SE will leave EM alone to finish DX3 & Thief 4, without influencing the game design with Asian stuff. *imagines Garrett as a manga character* :eek:

If they're going to tamper with Thief, they might as well go all out and completely destroy it. It would be easier for me to accept it that way, knowing that it's so completely different that there's no way it could become part of the well-crafted trilogy.

imported_van_HellSing
28th Mar 2009, 20:32
without influencing the game design with Asian stuff.

I hear the Shanghai section was cut. Yay!

*imagines Garrett as a manga character* :eek:

Why imagine if you can simply visit deviantart?

PlasmaSnake101
28th Mar 2009, 20:39
publishers can be stupid.

Agreed, I'm assuming the publishers won't do anything retarded, perhaps a naive idea on my part. It would be dumb, but if they cancel it, what are you going to do, I guess I'll move on.

Necros
29th Mar 2009, 01:56
I hear the Shanghai section was cut. Yay!
I didn't mean that and you know it. :)

Why imagine if you can simply visit deviantart?
Huh? I've got to check that out. :D LOL (http://merinid-de.deviantart.com/art/Garrett-Thief-Dark-Project-67395680) :lol:

jordan_a
23rd Apr 2009, 20:36
IT'S DONE!!!

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/7412/29187178222675452004175.jpg

Decard
23rd Apr 2009, 20:51
IT'S DONE!!!

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/7412/29187178222675452004175.jpg

Give us dev blog. NAO!

Jerion
23rd Apr 2009, 21:19
Give us dev blog. NAO!

Agreed! :)

rhalibus
23rd Apr 2009, 21:20
Read news of the acquisition here... (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6208436.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;1)

René
23rd Apr 2009, 22:12
It was a good day and we're happy to be in the new "family!"

Jerion
23rd Apr 2009, 22:23
Is there going to be a new logo over the front desk now?

FrankCSIS
23rd Apr 2009, 22:27
Did you feast on sushi and sake?

SageSavage
24th Apr 2009, 14:03
Is it just me or was this forum down for several hours?

René
24th Apr 2009, 14:11
Is it just me or was this forum down for several hours?

Yes it was. The UK IT team is on it!

Did you feast on sushi and sake?

Actually no. What did I eat yesterday? Oh yeah, I had some kind of panini and pasta salad thing. And an iced tea.

Is there going to be a new logo over the front desk now?

Not any time soon at least. We're still supposed to be independent under the Square-Enix umbrella!

Capital_G
24th Apr 2009, 14:32
It sadden me, video game industry in Montreal had grow-up exponentially since 2003 and i'm seeing this as a regression. But I guess it could have been worse than that so as long as it doesn't limit your creativity its ok.

FrankCSIS
24th Apr 2009, 22:30
Actually no. What did I eat yesterday? Oh yeah, I had some kind of panini and pasta salad thing. And an iced tea.

This is somewhat...anticlimatic.

GmanPro
24th Apr 2009, 22:40
What did you want him to say?

Rene: "Well, for breakfast I ate some cereal ......... but instead of milk I used the blood of my enemies! Ha ha ha!!! http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/_commonext/images/smiles/icon_evillol.gif http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/_commonext/images/smiles/icon_evillol.gif http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/_commonext/images/smiles/icon_evillol.gif"

K^2
24th Apr 2009, 22:42
That would not taste well.

GmanPro
24th Apr 2009, 22:43
It would taste like sweet, sweet victory :rasp: :D

FrankCSIS
24th Apr 2009, 22:50
Not sure what I expected, really. Doesn't make it any less...ordinary :p

Could've eaten some metal bolts instead of cereals, like that guy who eats planes.

Meat and mead would probably suffice, though. It's about as gory and glorifying as actual food can get.

Spyhopping
25th Apr 2009, 00:02
Right now- to me it sounds very sophisticated. I just had baked beans and half a naan bread for tea. At one in the morning.

FrankCSIS
25th Apr 2009, 00:09
At one in the morning, I expect nothing else than good ol comfort food.

Nothing beats poutine at 4am, after getting out of a bar/club. The only sophistication allowed is pepper instead of salt :p

Lo Bruto
25th Apr 2009, 06:05
That's what Activision said when they first bought Vivendi.

Taking Activision as an example, they also took Blizzard under their wing, but it's still operating as an independent studio.

I hope this become a trend, specially because I don't wanna see Deus Ex turning into one of those japanese rpg. (my opinion, nothing against people who enjoy this genre)

K^2
25th Apr 2009, 09:17
It would taste like sweet, sweet victory :rasp: :D
A real victory is always bitter-sweet.

WhatsHisFace
25th Apr 2009, 15:27
Yes it was. The UK IT team is on it!

Not any time soon at least. We're still supposed to be independent under the Square-Enix umbrella!

So was Vivendi... heh heh heh...

SageSavage
28th Apr 2009, 11:15
Square Enix: We take too long to make games (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/square-enix-we-take-too-long-to-make-games)

Bono
28th Apr 2009, 14:39
Thief 4 in 2010 then.

Necros
28th Apr 2009, 15:16
Thief 4 in 2010 then.
Late 2010, maybe. But I'd say 2011 instead.

Bono
28th Apr 2009, 15:26
DX3 in 2010, T4 in 2012 more likely

DXeXodus
28th Apr 2009, 18:03
I honestly don't think it will take up until 2012 for Thief 4* because they aren't dedicating their entire development force to Deus Ex 3 alone (as far as I know). I believe the development will be run in parallel to DX3, I'm guessing sometime in 2011.

* If this is what is being announced. :)

Jerion
28th Apr 2009, 18:38
I honestly don't think it will take up until 2012 for Thief 4* because they aren't dedicating their entire development force to Deus Ex 3 alone (as far as I know). I believe the development will be run in parallel to DX3, I'm guessing sometime in 2011.

* If this is what is being announced. :)

I'm fairly certain you're correct; The team for DX3 has pretty much all of the 6th floor, but if I understood correctly then EM can expand down to the 5th floor and have more space and manpower for an additional team to run in parallel.

Bono
28th Apr 2009, 20:33
you mean DX team actually higher than the T team? no, no way :D

Bloodwolf806
29th Apr 2009, 15:57
I thought it's already been said in a magazine article that DX3 was late 2009?

GmanPro
29th Apr 2009, 16:24
Don't believe everything you read

3nails4you
29th Apr 2009, 17:19
However long it takes to release DX will feel like an eternity to me, so when it is released doesn't really matter :D

jordan_a
12th Jun 2009, 01:28
Crystal Dynamics cuts 25 staff (http://www.edge-online.com/news/tomb-raider-developer-cuts-25-staff) :hmm:

There is also a full interview of Square Enix and Eidos' CEOs to be published in Gamasutra.

VicMackey
13th Jun 2009, 17:09
A lot of the time, a merger results in a lot of games already in production disappearing. That might happen here.

serrath
13th Jun 2009, 17:29
A lot of the time, a merger results in a lot of games already in production disappearing. That might happen here.

Vic's an optimist, he just shows it in a peculiar way.

imported_van_HellSing
13th Jun 2009, 18:00
All boils down to Eidos' unrealistic expectations. With Tomb Raider etc. they're trying to produce bestsellers, pumping a crapload of money into marketing, when they should be concentrating on niches.

One of the reasons I'm rather fearful about DX3.

Irate_Iguana
13th Jun 2009, 19:41
All boils down to Eidos' unrealistic expectations. With Tomb Raider etc. they're trying to produce bestsellers, pumping a crapload of money into marketing, when they should be concentrating on niches.

Indeed. They have several strong franchises each with a relatively small, but hardcore following. Focusing on keeping those people happy and keeping costs down should prove to be more profitable in the long run. Right now there are several big fish in the pond and their marketing budget and general appeal is much higher than that of the Eidos titles.

serrath
14th Jun 2009, 01:23
Indeed. They have several strong franchises each with a relatively small, but hardcore following. Focusing on keeping those people happy and keeping costs down should prove to be more profitable in the long run. Right now there are several big fish in the pond and their marketing budget and general appeal is much higher than that of the Eidos titles.

Are you crazy? The best way is to market games with a strong following to a wider community in a way that retains the hardcore fans. If you've found something that works, do it again and market it better now that you know it's worth the money. (And naturally, try to widen the number of groups it'd appeal to so that you can get more cash out of the product.)

WhatsHisFace
14th Jun 2009, 04:59
Are you crazy? The best way is to market games with a strong following to a wider community in a way that retains the hardcore fans. If you've found something that works, do it again and market it better now that you know it's worth the money. (And naturally, try to widen the number of groups it'd appeal to so that you can get more cash out of the product.)

If they made Halo into a side-scroller so that more people could play it, they'd lose all their fans.

K^2
14th Jun 2009, 06:37
Halo side scroller actually sounds like fun.

Jerion
14th Jun 2009, 06:54
Halo side scroller actually sounds like fun.

You know, you might be on to something here.

Now where did I put Harold Ryan's number....

serrath
14th Jun 2009, 18:41
If they made Halo into a side-scroller so that more people could play it, they'd lose all their fans.

That wouldn't be marketing to mass appeal. Currently, marketing to mass-appeal for Halo would be to make a free-roaming Halo or another iteration of the same Halo games they've been pumping out. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear earlier, you must've misinterpreted my comment.

ZippyDSMlee
14th Jul 2009, 17:54

Not really market it better and use the known value and hardcore fans as a spring board to make the franchise more pliable to the general masses, its worked for Halo and countless other titles that get weaker the further they get from the first game in the series... Red faction Gorilla is the a good current example....

Even if a game dose not do well, they will still revamp it and make it more casual, corporate and hollywood styles of development can not be wrong!!

=================

So I have not been lurking like I should, tell MR kitty has the square take over affected DX3 any?

KSingh77
14th Jul 2009, 18:20
Square Enix

It's hip to be us.

ZippyDSMlee
14th Jul 2009, 18:21
Square Enix

It's hip to be us.

Ya but they were only hip until 8 years before they merged....

lumpi
14th Jul 2009, 19:13
Square Enix: We take too long to make games (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/square-enix-we-take-too-long-to-make-games)

"In reality I think the issues we have are basically the same. On one side you might say that because of the budgetary constraints they released the games without having the games polished to perfection, but on the other side we take too long to release the game. [...]

He went on to hint at possible conflict with those working on the games over those production processes, noting that the group would be trying to "change the mindset of the creators".

Uh-Oh...

gamer0004
14th Jul 2009, 20:36
Uh-Oh...

That can only be good news.

Irate_Iguana
14th Jul 2009, 21:19
Uh-Oh...

Damnit, where are those lame shops when you need them?

AaronJ
14th Jul 2009, 23:05
That can only be good news.

They could make it worse.

Red
14th Jul 2009, 23:23
So we can say buhbye to deus ex in deus ex 3....

(not that it were any deus ex to begin with, with the goddamed health regen and chest high walls)

K^2
15th Jul 2009, 01:38
Nah, they won't get rid of "Deus Ex" in "Deus Ex 3".

I wonder if they'll keep the "Deus" or the "Ex".

Edit: This should probably go into the names thread, but since I got the idea from the above discussion, and considering EM's involvement and their "artistic vision" for Deus Ex, I give you

Deus Ex 3: Mon Dieu!

It just fits in so many ways.

WhatsHisFace
15th Jul 2009, 02:18
Nah, they won't get rid of "Deus Ex" in "Deus Ex 3".

I wonder if they'll keep the "Deus" or the "Ex".

Edit: This should probably go into the names thread, but since I got the idea from the above discussion, and considering EM's involvement and their "artistic vision" for Deus Ex, I give you

Deus Ex 3: Mon Dieu!

It just fits in so many ways.

Deus Ex 3: Mountain Dew.

KSingh77
15th Jul 2009, 03:56
Deus Ex:Lemon or Orange?

dark_angel_7
12th Sep 2009, 11:34
Bump :D

So Eidos' year is pretty much over and Square Enix's year is coming to and end. SO lets see what success' and failures this brought us:

Eidos – OUT NOW

Shellshock 2 (PC, 360, PS3) – average commercial success and critical failure.
Battlestations Pacific (PC, 360) –commercial and critical success.
Batman: Arkham Asylum (PC, 360, PS3) – commercial and critical success. 2 million + units sold
Mini Ninjas (PC, 360, PS3, Wii & DS) – critical success (No info. yet for commercial success)
Championship Manager 2010 (PC) – critical success (No info. yet for commercial success)

Square Enix – OUT NOW

The Last Remnant (360, PC) – commercial success, average critical response. Around 500,000-750,000 units sold.
Star Ocean: The Last Hope (360) - commercial and critical success. Around 500,000 units sold
Dragon Quest IX (DS) – commercial and critical success. 3.5 million units sold.
Dissidia Final Fantasy (PSP) – commercial and critical success. 1 million+ units sold.

Eidos/Square Enix – COMING SOON (before the end of the year)

Pony Friends 2 (PC, PS2, Wii) - Yay!!!...Joke.
Order of War (PC) – nominated for 2 awards and demo seemed polished enough.
Final Fantasy XIII (PS3) – no doubt a system seller with around 5 years of development gone into it and lots of hype.

So Eidos and SE seemed to have had a really good year and no doubt have made more than enough money together for plenty more amazing games. :) Good for them. :D