PDA

View Full Version : X-Box 360 port???

Atlan
18th Jan 2008, 05:38
A lot of people (ok, more or less everybody) knows how much Invisible War sucked in comparasion to Dues Ex. What few address is the question- Why?

The awnser lies, in part, in the fact that it was devloped for the X-box as well as the PC. What they ended up with was a decent X-box game, and an average PC game.

Dues Ex was anything but average, and it is this comparison which caused the missery.

But the point I'm trying to make is, most of the features which made the origional so cool were cut so that it would work on a console. And in all likleyness, DX3 will be for X-box 360 as well as PC.

So the question is- what could you live with being sacrificed for the console, and still keep the awesomeness of Dues Ex?

For me, it's the inventory. Don't get me wrong, I loved trying to decide between one GEP gun, or a Sniper, a Shotgun, and a LAM. But I'd much rather see that go, than see the XP system or the individual health bars for limbs be cut.

DXJohnny1981
18th Jan 2008, 06:35
We've already discussed this in the topic tittled "consoles". :)

G.A.Pster
28th Jan 2008, 01:01
I’m sick of the Xbox being the scapegoat for IW, There was no excuse for the way Invisible War was.
With some minor menu tweaking Deus Ex worked fine on the PS2, and I know plenty of console games with more PC like menus and controls and that were just as open as PC games.

jd10013
28th Jan 2008, 02:43
I don't think it was totally the console developments fault. In fact, I'd say it didn't have that much to do with it. For some reason, they just totally abandoned the early versions of the game in favor of some abomination. why they turned the protagonist into a spiked hair punk type kid is beyond me. why they decided unified ammo was good, or skills were bad also mystifies me. I also don't know why they totally changed a good looking hud (with a light meter) into that cartoonish thing we got. I don't know why they ditched the dark, conspiratorial theme of the original in favor of some shallow, predictable, and rather boring story we got. I also don't know why they shipped a game that wasn't at all optimized. The fans had to do it.

But what I do know is, none of those things were forced on them by the xbox.

boy, I really wish we'd ended up with some of this:
http://deusex2.filefront.com/info/Concept_Art_DE2

G.A.Pster
28th Jan 2008, 02:48
I thought Alex Denton as a character was fine, I agree with you on everything else though.

jd10013
28th Jan 2008, 02:52
I thought Alex Denton as a character was fine, I agree with you on everything else though.

I just can't get that cover picture of the spiky haired punk holding a pistol ganster style out of my head.

G.A.Pster
28th Jan 2008, 02:54
I just can't get that cover picture of the spiky haired punk holding a pistol ganster style out of my head.

Yeah, holding the gun sideways just looks stupid.

Draco1979
5th Feb 2008, 03:00
Well I am not sure why people blame the console but I have seen both side of the argument. I think some of the down fall was the fact that it was made for console but not the main reason.

15% Console
30% Story Development
30% Map Size
25% Dumped Down Effect

Just what I think from reading this forum but then again how can you compare hype of the second one to the hidden pleasure of finding a game that is good. To me no matter what it is if it has a lot of hype the chances are good that it will not be good.

tanonx
5th Feb 2008, 03:36
Alex wasn't horribly bad in and of himself. The whole 'LOL LUK WE IZ MATRYX' cover and outfit might've given a fairly bad read, though. The map size, I could live with. Lineraity, not so much. Unified ammo, heck no. Blatant obviousness, also no. Exchanging good/bad ending ambiguity for 'Apocalypse falls, everyone else dies, world goes to hell, all the time' endings... You get the picture.

Boiny Bunny
7th Feb 2008, 09:43
I’m sick of the Xbox being the scapegoat for IW, There was no excuse for the way Invisible War was.
With some minor menu tweaking Deus Ex worked fine on the PS2, and I know plenty of console games with more PC like menus and controls and that were just as open as PC games.

Really? The Xbox was the reason that the skills were cut and the entire game was simplified. The Xbox was the reason that each area was TINY, and loading screens were horrendous.

As far as we know so far, DX3 is PC exclusive - and that is the way it should stay.

Yes DX made a good port to PS2 - but remember when DX came out it was in the days of the PS. I'm sure that if DX2 had been made simultaneously for PC and 360 instead of PC and Xbox it would have been a much better game.

I honestly don't think that they're stupid enough to make that mistake a second time. The game probably won't require an *insane* computer - but will probably be PC exclusive.

Phasmatis
7th Feb 2008, 12:43
It isn't a PC exclusive game, the developers have said it's a "next generation and PC title". Unfortunatly, games simply do not sell as well if they are PC exclusive so games tend to be co-developed for consoles and PC these days.

Boiny Bunny
7th Feb 2008, 21:45
That's probably true - but I did say 'as far as we know' - which is the truth. They have confirmed it will be on the PC - and not confirmed anything about the 360 or PS3 - thus as it currently stands, the game is PC-exclusive until we are corrected otherwise.

I do hope though if they choose to put in on a console that the console version is a port - I really don't want to see the PC version screwed over because the console couldn't handle the stuff they wanted in the game.

Note to devs: We do NOT want a simplified game! Put skill points back in, bring back the more complicated health system, the larger areas, the more complex characters!

jordan_a
7th Feb 2008, 22:09
In the best case "next generation and PC title" would mean:

First on PC, then on PS3's and 360's successors but that's a dream. :mad2:

jd10013
7th Feb 2008, 22:46
In the best case "next generation and PC title" would mean:

First on PC, then on PS3's and 360's successors but that's a dream. :mad2:

not necessarily. Bioshock is a good example of how a game can be co-developed. rather than just port to the PC, they put a couple people on a team who were in charge of optimizing it for the PC. They were willing to spend the money on man-hours to make sure the PC version looked, played, and felt like a PC version. I don't know if eidos plans to do that or just make a cheap port, but there is no reason they can't.

jordan_a
7th Feb 2008, 23:20
Well that would be welcomed. But admit the best scenario would be a 100% PC version then a next-gen consoles game.
That way we would have our own and genuine DX. :nut:
*Waking up* :whistle: