PDA

View Full Version : Imagine if they made Deus Ex 3 cel-shaded....

SomaMech
15th Jan 2008, 05:57
That would suck.

Or even if they attempted the Bioshock'esque feel, with 'indy' models/effects (the blood, for example). I believe that suck as well.

I don't think theres any place for styleised effects in the Deus Ex world, and hope the graphics, interface and overall feel of the game is highly refined, responsive and crisp. The clunky feeling that's usually associated with console games is also something I really hope the developer's acknowledge and attempt to avoid. I'd personally love DX3 to have that EVE Online feel. Clean, non-clumsy and highly polished.

Am I alone in these thoughts? Or would you like to see Deus Ex 3 given it's own over-the-top style?

SageSavage
15th Jan 2008, 06:53
No, that would definitely suck! It needs to look realistic but worn out. No Disney colours all over the place.

mr_cyberpunk
15th Jan 2008, 07:57
Cel-Shadded would work for another one of Warren Spector's games (the first he every made actually) called Toon. Toon would be just an epic game to play as an actual video game bit like spore or drawn to life :D but like RPG.

I was a bit disappointed that he announced Junction Point as his latest game since Toon would mark the beginning of what could be a GURPS video game range.. that would be ******* AWESOME!. (Imagine Illuminati and Cyberpunk as a game.. it'd be better than Deus Ex :D..)

Cell shading has its uses but NOT in Cyberpunk. If you want that release a god damn GITS game like that one that failed a few years back lol. hehe

AgnosticJive
15th Jan 2008, 08:36
That's not that bad of an idea actually...cel-shading would alleviate some of the graphics load while at the same time allowing the game to capture EXACTLY what it wants to convey graphically.

To all those nay-sayers, go watch Ghost in the shell (like, half of which is cel shaded and helped shape the original game) and the French film Renaissance (which is 100% cel-shaded/rotoscoped.) It's a pretty good...and it looks damn good to boot. Also...it's a cyberpunk/noir film (with no leather trenchcoats! imagine that!)...also in case someone wants to talk about cel-shading not working in games...while granted it made crackdown look kind of comic-bookish (which was the look they were going for so it's not really a failure) that Naruto 360 game looked pretty damn impressive graphically (of course...it pretty much ends there for me...) So yeah, don't give me any of that cel-shading=Disney crap because it quite obviously doesn't.

jordan_a
15th Jan 2008, 09:32
French film Renaissance (which is 100% cel-shaded/rotoscoped.)
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/2509/06vx2.jpg
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/4499/6472renaissance2qx5.jpg
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/3927/18462715w434hq80oh8.jpg
It could be great since Deus Ex missions take place at nights. It might as well save the studio time to concentrate on the story, the characters. :confused:

Cell shading has its uses but NOT in Cyberpunk.
This is precisely where it would work. The purpose it to set an oppressive mood and as you can see above these graphics can get the job done pretty well.

matches81
15th Jan 2008, 12:14
Renessaince is an absolutely beautiful movie, really liked it.

Deus Ex cel-shaded? Why not? But not in today's common gamers' sense of Cel-shading. Cel-shading can be more subtle than "look I'm a comic!". I think combining it with "traditional" looks could actually be beneficial.

GundamXXX
15th Jan 2008, 17:21
Depends on what cellshading, Sin City style? Sure thatll look cool but any other way I dont think it would succeed

AgnosticJive
15th Jan 2008, 18:42
Depends on what cellshading, Sin City style?

Uhhhhh...Sin City wasn't cel-shaded...it was black and white (with few colors thrown in for artistic blah blah blah) with a digital back lot. Unless perhaps you're confusing sin city with like...not sin city.

Xcom
15th Jan 2008, 20:04
Somehow my appreciation for cel-shaded look is limited to non-interactive media (films, cartoons, etc.). I think it's a little bit different when, for example, you have interfaces. How is your HUD, inventory screen going to look/work cel-shaded? :scratch:

As for Renaissance, it sure looks nice, but it doesn't look like conventional, real-time "cel-shading" as you can see in some games. I am sure they used plenty of other CGI tricks in post-production to give it look and feel of a b&w sketch/drawing.

I wouldn't mind if DX3 had FMVs that looked sort of like that, but IMHO, the game itself shouldn't be. The dark mood can be set with color, lighting.

imported_van_HellSing
15th Jan 2008, 22:46
Toon would mark the beginning of what could be a GURPS video game range.. that would be ******* AWESOME!. (Imagine Illuminati and Cyberpunk as a game.. it'd be better than Deus Ex :D..)

Speaking of pen & paper rpg's to crpg's, wanna know my wet dream?

A Paranoia game.

Made by the crew who did Portal.

G.A.Pster
28th Jan 2008, 00:27
cell-shading just doesn’t fit Deus Ex, it only really works for some games like Jetgrind Radio (Jetset for you euros) and Killer 7 and on most everything else it just doesn’t fit.

RedFeather1975
28th Jan 2008, 04:12
Cel shading has some amazing potential nowadays.
It would be cool, if they had the time, to incorporate it somehow.
Renaissance is a perfect example. I'm glad AgnosticJive mentioned that movie.
The effect would make an incredibly cool cyberspace environment. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U3sWfxrLlM&feature=related)

madeye
22nd Feb 2008, 02:33
I think that cel-shading would detract from the immersion of the game. Deus is about sci-fi uber technology with moral implications on its use. I think that it would be best to make the game feel like this future could actually happen. Therefore, you would want to make it look as real as possible.

rokstrombo
22nd Feb 2008, 05:55
Wow, I think cell-shading would work great for Deus Ex. I don't think it would make things any easier for the developers, but it would be a way to compensate for limitations in graphics hardware. I think animation and attention to detail is far more important with respect to graphics than photo-realism. And IMO filters and lighting effects are a lot more fun to play with than high polygon counts and high-res textures.

I would much rather see something unique than to just be Deus Ex with better graphics.

Lo Bruto
22nd Feb 2008, 17:01
You know... When I read "cel-shading" I can only think of these Anime-turned-into-games for Consoles, like Dragon Ball or whatever... :scratch:

And I really don't like this idea in DX. :nut:

Blade_hunter
22nd Feb 2008, 17:11
I agree with someone are against the cell shading for DX the style of the game is more oriented to reality and sci fi. I don't want DX become a cartoon .... :(

IcarusIsLookingForYou
3rd Mar 2008, 22:09
Somehow my appreciation for cel-shaded look is limited to non-interactive media (films, cartoons, etc.). I think it's a little bit different when, for example, you have interfaces. How is your HUD, inventory screen going to look/work cel-shaded? :scratch:

I totally agree. Just because the technique works well (beautifully in this case) in the medium of film doesn't mean it will translate well into a game. The DX universe already has enough style without the added flair of cel-shading. Besides, when I think of DX, I don't think of comic books, which is exactly what cel-shading reminds me of.

IceBallz
22nd Mar 2008, 07:33
How about make all cut-movies in game to cel-shaded. Like fadeing from a moving game picture to moving cel-shaded cut-movie, with ambient music playing in the background. Like a sweet and dark effect to the cut-movies in game and from cel-shaded movie fade back to the game picture. How about it ?

Just a thought. Maybe this will give some nice feeling of the darkness in the Deus Ex 3 story. :)

Like many says here. I say, cel-shaded Deus Ex 3 gaming would suck. But cut-movies would work in cel-shaded and could bring in even more darkness into Deus Ex 3.

GruntOwner
22nd Mar 2008, 16:32
Speaking of pen & paper rpg's to crpg's, wanna know my wet dream?

A Paranoia game.

Made by the crew who did Portal.

:eek: Who the hell let you out in public?

IceBallz
23rd Mar 2008, 16:37
Sorry, Xcom. For opening a new thread about cel-shading. But i was opening the new thread, becurse this thread is about making whole game in cel-shaded. My thought was to set up a vote and thread about making only cel-shaded cut-movies into gamestory. But enuff of it. You have reading my posts. Sorry, again. So, what you guys think about this idea ?

:whistle:

Xcom
24th Mar 2008, 16:59
It's no big deal, but as you can see, there is little enthusiasm.

IceBallz
24th Mar 2008, 17:20
It's no big deal, but as you can see, there is little enthusiasm.

Ok. Just a thought. Hehehe... :whistle:

madeye
25th Mar 2008, 07:34
I don't want to see stylized rendering.

It _has_ to be dark, semi-realistic cyberpunk.

Kevyne-Shandris
26th Mar 2008, 12:09
Sorry, Xcom. For opening a new thread about cel-shading. But i was opening the new thread, becurse this thread is about making whole game in cel-shaded. My thought was to set up a vote and thread about making only cel-shaded cut-movies into gamestory. But enuff of it. You have reading my posts. Sorry, again. So, what you guys think about this idea ?

:whistle:

As an illustrator myself, I love the rotoscope style, but it doesn't fit the artwork of DX. I'm a tad picky on that style, maybe because I appreciate so much that Bethesda/Elder Scrolls keeps the same across games. Introducing a new style will be foreign, and give the game an artsy look -- not the gritty industrial and urban appeal.

I see the style of DX3 more in line of F.E.A.R. (they really did the decrepit buildings and office interiors really well), all set at night. They'll probably experiment with DirectX filters, as well.

Scene realism will help this game a lot, from the wind blown paper, to the TRASH CANS on the street. ;)

Tech Sergeant Kaplan
26th Mar 2008, 14:52
no, cel shading wouldnt keep the feel of the series.

FelixP
1st May 2008, 01:15
While cel-shading can look absolutely gorgeous in certain instances, I really don't think that it would fit with a Deus Ex game. One of the strengths of the first one (let's not get started on IW here) was the fact that it took place in a realistic, gritty environment- overly stylized visuals might be great for a game like Bioshock, but Deus Ex should be all about real-world plausibility.