PDA

View Full Version : Underworld Combat

Liquid47
15th Jan 2008, 02:01
It was inevitable that CD were going to bring combat into TRU right? I mean, even the mag previews talk about the combat.

Well, if they must make combat the filler for TRU, who agrees they should make the combat at least exciting? The shooting in Legend just felt so lifeless and tacked-on, without much thought put into it.

I don't want combat like Gears of War or an action-oriented game -- that would take the focus away from what TR is really about. But it should be meaningful in a "Tomb Raider" way. Who else would like CD to find a way to make the shooting aspects just as enjoyable as the platforming and puzzle aspects of the game?

Elaborate the mixed environment/shooting thing they're going for in TRU. Maybe they can somehow find a way that the skills we learn in platforming and acrobatics can be applied to the shooting sections of the game in order to pass them. It's very uninteresting if all you have to do is let the auto-aim find a target then unload an infinite amount of pistol bullets on it. Doesn't get any better just because there's an additional two weapons to choose from.

Any other suggestions people would like to see in TRU regarding that 'other' side of TR game play? Perhaps there was something that you thought was inspired in the other entries and could perhaps be expanded in this game?

Falcon
15th Jan 2008, 08:36
This thread got me thinking of max payne. :confused: You had to do all the aiming by yourself using reticule in the middle of the screen. Mabe they can incorporate that into TRU but I would sugest they make it optional, coz some people might find it too difficult to manuvre. But ye this is interesting, adds to the difficulty. And the latest TR's compared to the old series, they kinda need some of that. :rolleyes:

Capkeez
15th Jan 2008, 09:41
to counter the problem of autoaim, simply make aiming manual and everyone will be happy. Tomb Raider would be very very dull without the shooting segments. to me anyway.

LisaB1962
15th Jan 2008, 14:32
I, for one, would be incredibly unhappy about manual aim.

Tomb Raider is not and should not be about combat skills. It's about discovery. There's plenty of other games for those who want elaborate combat. Heck, I can name a few. :D

Should there be combat? Of course. But combat is a way to elevate or release tension in Tomb Raider. It's a tool to control the atmosphere. Make combat a focus (like Legend) and you've got another action game starring Lara Croft.

I don't mind adding challenges. I thought the AD in Anniversary was hella cool once I got the hang of it. But to add tons of moves and challenges for something that should not be focus of the game seems to me to be making it the focus of the game. :scratch:

naraku
16th Jan 2008, 08:00
This thread got me thinking of max payne. :confused: You had to do all the aiming by yourself using reticule in the middle of the screen. Mabe they can incorporate that into TRU but I would sugest they make it optional, coz some people might find it too difficult to manuvre. But ye this is interesting, adds to the difficulty. And the latest TR's compared to the old series, they kinda need some of that. :rolleyes:

to counter the problem of autoaim, simply make aiming manual and everyone will be happy. Tomb Raider would be very very dull without the shooting segments. to me anyway.
Thats kinda what I was getting at with my Target Lock thread. It would add difficulty to TR that it hasn't had in the past. If manually aiming could somehow tie in to the story or perhaps be needed to solve a puzzle it would make things a little more exciting without compromising the games traditional style. It could be toggled to please gamers. Somehow though I get the sense what they mean by combat means fist fights, "like in Uncharted"!. I have a gut feeling Underworld is going to be Uncharted like. :eek:

humbug
16th Jan 2008, 08:12
I like the auto aim, I don't think TR should be combat game. As Lisa says there obviously should be enemies but it I don't think it should be the soul focus of TR. I guess it would be a good idea to be able to turn off auto aim- everyone would be happy then. ;)

fredlocks
16th Jan 2008, 08:48
:o, Tomb Raider has never been manual aim :o, it better not go back intot eh dark ages or at least have a setting that you can turn automatic aim on or off

Capkeez
16th Jan 2008, 12:52
Yes, why not implement manual aiming like normal third person shooters, but put it as an option that can be toggled on and off. this way, TRU could appeal to a larger crowd, to the shooter fans and to the people who like the tomb raider how it is, and this too could result in different styles of play hence increasing TRU's replayability as well.

Nefarian
16th Jan 2008, 14:14
Very simple, this Underworld gotta be a Lara version of LEGACY OF KAIN. :rasp: :rasp: :rasp:

Liquid47
16th Jan 2008, 18:28
Hmm....I wasn't thinking manual aim, I was just thinking that straight up 'auto aim' kinda really is lame.

Maybe if Lara does...'meaningful' acrobatics like she does to get 'round those temples etc, maybe the gunplay wouldn't be so dull, but at the same time it would appeal to those of us who do enjoy her platforming mastery.

Sort of like Ninja Gaiden if anyone has played that. Not to the level of difficulty that game has, but on the same premise -- the environments totally affect the combat.

For example, Lara could be leaping off walls to dodge incoming fire, but if she makes an error in judgement, she slips up a pays the price for it. Maybe she dodged to early or too late, or maybe the area she is trying to use is not suitable for such a maneuver. The actual shooting is just as straight forward as previous Tomb Raiders -- button mash away at your opponents. But if you want to survive the firefights or the creatures, Lara has to depend more on her body -- like the platforming aspects -- rather than her trusty pistols.

LisaB1962
16th Jan 2008, 21:30
Heh, folks castigated Lara for using the environment to defeat enemies in the old days. Climb out of reach and kill. Sounds like a good plan to me. :D

However, since I've been begging for a return of a more athletic Lara, I'm all for giving Lara cool moves using the environment. :thumbsup:

Liquid47
17th Jan 2008, 08:14
Heh, folks castigated Lara for using the environment to defeat enemies in the old days. Climb out of reach and kill. Sounds like a good plan to me. :D

However, since I've been begging for a return of a more athletic Lara, I'm all for giving Lara cool moves using the environment. :thumbsup:

Well, a better implementation at least :P.

Just anything really to keep the combat refreshing and having a distinct feel compared to other games that have combat in it.

Capkeez
17th Jan 2008, 11:03

apparently in TRU, enemies will be smart enough to climb up to where lara is, so it will prolly be much tougher.