PDA

View Full Version : Questions from a new player

dminoz
14th Jan 2008, 21:17
I'm getting through my second game of IG (I just got it from Gamersgate).

So far, I'm thinking that it's an excellent game. I'm finding the odd frustration, but nothing that detracts from the overall enjoyment.

I'm playing as Great Britain, and have a few questions about diplomacy.

What makes another empire get PO'd with me? I was working on improving my relationship with Hanover and Portugal, and was having no direct dealings with France or Batavia at all, and yet their sympathy for me was steadily going down. Was it because of my improving relations with Portugal and Hanover, or does the AI just choose a country that's going to hate you, and you can't do anything about it?

Finally first Batavia and then France declared war on me, which is no big deal, because by that time I'd built up a good-sized navy, and France hadn't built one at all, and Batavia's navy was small. Every time a Batavian ship showed up, it went to the bottom.

France, did, however, invade and annex Portugal, which is something I'll have to extract some revenge for at a later date...

Finally Batavia paid me handsomely for peace (one turn after I'd offered them money for peace, but they turned me down. How does that work?)

And then, out of the blue, Russia DOWed me. Again, how does that work? I'd had no dealing with them, although they did, very shortly after declaring war on me, occupy and annex Hanover. Was my 95 sympathy rating with Hanover anything to do with Russia wanting to go to war with me?

I guess my confusion here is whether bad relations with other empires are bought about by my relations with small powers, or whether it's all just arbitrary, and determined by the AI.

Another question: I frequently get told that if I turn down an offered deal, relations with the offering country will suffer, and yet I never see their sympathy rating go down if I refuse the deal. Does that indicate that the movement in sympathy has been so small as to not make a change?

Does the size of a deal determine the amount of change in sympathy?

Also, if I accept a deal, does that mean an increase in sympathy?

Finally, I find it frustrating in a battle that I can't recall a unit once it has entered a melee. They just want to fight to the death. I admire their enthusiasm, but not their common sense. Is there any mod around which affects or minimizes that behavior?

I've got another question:

When Russia came to me just now asking for peace and offering about 8,000, I hit the 'negotiate' button, to see what would happen, and they came back with a higher offer (about 9,500). I accepted that.

Is there a downside to keeping on clicking 'negotiate'? Is there a danger that they'll come back and say 'stuff you, we're going to keep on fighting'?

Or will their offers just stop rising?

And also, can their offers include territory, or is always just about money?

When I won the battle against Russia in Sweden, I'd already taken Norway, which had been under Russian control. And yet, once I'd accepted the offer of money for peace, Norway reverted to Russian control. Is there any way I could have kept it?

And another question: I chose to liberate Sweden rather than occupy it. So, it re-emerged as a sovereign state. All well and good, but there was also suddenly an alliance between Russia and Sweden. Is this normal? I would have thought that having just been liberated from Russian control, it would be highly unlikely that Sweden would want to ally with Russia straight away? I would have thought that Russia-Sweden relations would be in the toilet...

Lefebvre
25th Jan 2008, 15:24
Hi dminoz

My answers to your list of questions (I'm not 100% sure on some of them, but here goes)

What makes another empire get PO'd with me? ... Was it because of my improving relations with Portugal and Hanover, or does the AI just choose a country that's going to hate you, and you can't do anything about it?
I've tried to find a correlation between favour with one country and the lack of favour with another, but it does seem to be kinda arbitrary. The AI chooses a path and follows it whoever you are friendly with, or so it seems.

Finally Batavia paid me handsomely for peace (one turn after I'd offered them money for peace, but they turned me down. How does that work?)
That's a feature of the game that seems counter-intuitive I'll admit, but on the plus side it gives you the money for peace, rather than you paying it to another country, so it's better that way. I don't know if the AI 'plans' it that way, but the upshot is better for the player in the end. It would be frustrating to pay for peace all the time if the AI would pay you for it on the next turn.

And then, out of the blue, Russia DOWed me. Again, how does that work? ... very shortly after declaring war on me, occupy and annex Hanover. Was my 95 sympathy rating with Hanover anything to do with Russia wanting to go to war with me?
In my experience the AI is trawling for countries to occupy and if your rating is high with a country you (as the human player) will notice the competition to grab them, otherwise it wouldn't seem so contrived and you wouldn't think anything of it. Whether they try to grab a country *because* you are close to doing so yourself is debatable, but when I have reloaded saves from the early stages of that process the AI does seem to go all out to capture the country before I do, but as I say that may well be just coincidence. There is no real evidence it is anything other than that in my experience.

I guess my confusion here is whether bad relations with other empires are bought about by my relations with small powers, or whether it's all just arbitrary, and determined by the AI.
I can't say with certainty, but I would suggest it is arbitrary, my favour with other nations (friendly with the potential 'enemy' or not) makes no difference as far as I can tell.

.. if I turn down an offered deal, relations with the offering country will suffer, and yet I never see their sympathy rating go down if I refuse the deal. Does that indicate that the movement in sympathy has been so small as to not make a change?
Yes. I would say the change does happen in increments, on hard setting the sympathy change may be more noticeable. If you consistently refuse the offers it does decrease sympathy over several turns. If you 'negotiate' and finally 'reject' multiple offers in a single turn your sympathy does fall noticeably by a little.

Does the size of a deal determine the amount of change in sympathy?
Not that I have noticed, but again it depends how determined they are in their offers in one turn.

Also, if I accept a deal, does that mean an increase in sympathy?
Not that I have ever noticed, at least not in trade goods, if it is an offer of Alliance or Coalition etc, then yes, definitely.

Finally, I find it frustrating in a battle that I can't recall a unit once it has entered a melee. They just want to fight to the death. I admire their enthusiasm, but not their common sense. Is there any mod around which affects or minimizes that behavior?
I'm not aware of any way to change that behaviour. I also admire their enthusiasm / stupidity, but alas we are stuck with it I believe.

When Russia came to me just now asking for peace .. Is there a downside to keeping on clicking 'negotiate'? .. Or will their offers just stop rising?
If you consistently click 'negotiate' for their offer they may well stop offering.

And also, can their offers include territory, or is always just about money?
I've never seen anything other than hard cash on offer and I've played through all campaigns in all difficulty modes many times. I have been offered territories, but I'm fairly sure that was for resources rather than for peace.

When I won the battle against Russia in Sweden, I'd already taken Norway, .. (but) Norway reverted to Russian control. Is there any way I could have kept it?
Yes, if you still had any troops stationed in Norway it would have become yours.

.. it would be highly unlikely that Sweden would want to ally with Russia straight away? I would have thought that Russia-Sweden relations would be in the toilet...
That would be the intuitive assumption, however after a period of conflict the diplomatic status of a newly recovered nation reverts to a broadly default setting of 'likes everyone moderately'. This means their favourability stats are all hovering around the 50% mark, even if they were occupied by one of those nations recently.

I hope I helped you out with all that :)
Feel free to feedback with what you have found to be the case for you when you've tried things out.