PDA

View Full Version : Underworld: Drop your weapons!

pot
12th Jan 2008, 01:10
I think that the shoot-em-up element of Tomb Raider should be limited in Underworld. This was a feature of the early games, but since technology evolves and there is therefore more breadth to be creative I see no need for it anymore. Let's have some lateral puzzle solving and perhaps a more creative 3-D platforming element.

I only kill the tigers and the monkeys so I can progress through the game, I don't like doing it. Maybe they should stop programming the animals to attack Lara whenever she comes along, this idea that nature is a hostile environment is a little too Baconian.

Let us have a new age eco-warrior princess!

I hope they have rainbows in it, I've never seen a rainbow in a computer game.

RUGRLN
12th Jan 2008, 06:56
Yeah true, but you need some shooting to at times to make it fun and challenging cuz the animals impede your progress normally...

Anyways, if I remember properly in TR3, the monkeys wouldn't do anything o you they looked they were gna attack but actually they would just come upto you and anot attack you, provided you don't shoot them.

Jezyk
12th Jan 2008, 10:20
I'm just replaying TR3. The monkeys in Jungle don't attack you, but the ones in Temple Ruins do. And they run around with medpacks^^
I agree, animals shouldn't be hostile all the time. Ok, a starved jaguar trapped in some ruins may attack. But being attacked by spiders, bats, and even city crows (TR3 London) is just stupid.

pot
12th Jan 2008, 11:07
Yeah I forgot about the monkeys in TR3, the first one was useful for something as well wasn't it, can't remember what though.

William Croft
12th Jan 2008, 12:43
Very true, I agree although it is fun and it is part of tomb raider. Although like in TR3 if YOU attacked the monkey's they would then attack you. I think thats pretty realistic and you had a choice so yes I agree:thumbsup:

aussie500
12th Jan 2008, 13:24
l loved the monkeys in Tomb Raider 3, l especially loved shooting the thieving little furred fiends. Tomb Raider has always had some shooting, and whether it be animals, humans, mythical beasts, Gods, aliens or fallen Angels l think it needs to stay. l was a bit disappointed Crystal Dynamics removed the Peru chickens in Legend though, perhaps they thought the fans might have been too interested in shooting them, cannot have Lara running around shooting chickens. :scratch:

Atheist
12th Jan 2008, 14:19
I only kill the tigers and the monkeys so I can progress through the game, I don't like doing it. Maybe they should stop programming the animals to attack Lara whenever she comes along, this idea that nature is a hostile environment is a little too Baconian.

I agree with this :thumbsup:

Blackluc
12th Jan 2008, 16:03
i rly dont agree... I want this game with more action and guns! like legend...

pot
13th Jan 2008, 12:48

Why don't you go and play Doom then.

LegendLost
13th Jan 2008, 15:31

Well then just replay Legend over and over again. Cause I'm pretty sure Eidos & CD both learned that most of the fans DON'T want that.

Atheist
13th Jan 2008, 16:53

:lol: ! I agree with this too!

William Croft
13th Jan 2008, 21:01

Hhahahahahahahahahahaahahah :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Hhahahahahah good one ;)

Blackluc
13th Jan 2008, 21:05
well, i rly liked the first TR but i dont want the be less shooting... i think it was perfect (if with put a better AI the ennemies)

TDK
23rd Jan 2008, 10:41
They should make her do hand fights it would be cool :cool:

Mangar The Dark
23rd Jan 2008, 14:29
I

Well, then you should play TR: Legend. You won't like all the fighting, but at least there's a rainbow in it near the waterfall in Ghana. It's a good, fun game. A bit short, but what is there is enjoyable.

I agree with you that shooting should not be the focus of Underworld. That's what killed TR2 for me-- non stop shooting. It's like the designers forgot what made TR1 so great, and wanted to turn the TR franchise into a shooter just because games like Doom were popular.

The focus should definitely be on puzzles, platforming and exploration, with just enough fighting to keep you on your toes.

(I have to say, the fights in Legend were more enjoyable than in previous TR games because of the ability to jump off your enemies and shoot them in slow motion. You should definitely try that game.)

Wess~Gamer
23rd Jan 2008, 18:40
Well, then you should play TR: Legend. You won't like all the fighting, but at least there's a rainbow in it near the waterfall in Ghana.

There was a rainbow in legend? I've never seen it.. :scratch:
I guess I have to go looking for it, then :D

Bampire
24th Jan 2008, 02:11
Yeah.. Legend was a disappointment to me, I'd rather not be playing it over and over again. Though, I like the engine, as long as it's tweaked a bit.

Mangar The Dark
25th Jan 2008, 17:23
There was a rainbow in legend? I've never seen it.. :scratch:
I guess I have to go looking for it, then :D

It's in the waterfall, not the sky. Quite well done, too, I might add.

Atheist
25th Jan 2008, 17:35
It's in the waterfall, not the sky. Quite well done, too, I might add.

Is that in the norm gen or next gen? Because I never saw it, but I was'nt playing it on next gen.

Gemma_Darkmoon_
4th May 2009, 22:59
Shooting is a major part of the game. Without it the jump sequences might get a bit dull.

Jurre
4th May 2009, 23:53
I think that the shoot-em-up element of Tomb Raider should be limited in Underworld. This was a feature of the early games, but since technology evolves and there is therefore more breadth to be creative I see no need for it anymore. Let's have some lateral puzzle solving and perhaps a more creative 3-D platforming element.
No combat is better than bad combat but if you are going to change radicaly, I'd say drop the puzzles. No modern high-profile game focusses so much on puzzles, not even comparable games like Prince of Persia. Puzzle games are something you'll play on PSP or something.

Crysis

Jinnyskeans
5th May 2009, 00:23
Shooting has been big part of Tomb Raider since Tomb Raider 1
Lara Croft has the signature Duoble Pistols!

Getting Lara to loose her guns would be like snapping Harry Potters Wand.

Pulse
5th May 2009, 04:39
When a lot of people think Tomb Raider, they think dual pistols. It's basically what makes Lara, Lara. If she ran around dancing through rainbows and hugging every wild animal in sight, people would turn their backs on TR. Of course more puzzles could be added and the Legend type gun play improved and we'd have an awesome game!

If you don't like the violence in this game, why would you play it?
Maybe you can go save the whales instead, theres a possibility you'll see a rainbow doing that.

Well then just replay Legend over and over again. Cause I'm pretty sure Eidos & CD both learned that most of the fans DON'T want that.

I thought most fans DID want that. Guns=Lara. duh. Legend did that nicely, just not puzzles. Legend was a great game overall though, freakin tree huggers( no offense to anyone) need to realize that even in the beginning of Tomb Raider, Lara killed animals.That's just how it is. Most gamers enjoy shooting up enemies, taking that away would pound the nails into Tomb Raider's casket.

sorry for the double post.
[mod-edit]
The http://forums.eidosgames.com/images/tombraider/buttons/edit.gif button can help to add extra content to a post... as a tip, if you want to quote someone elses post, you can do the usual quoting, but before replying copy + paste it so you can edit it into your post :)
-rg_001100
[/mod-edit]

rg_001100
5th May 2009, 08:28
Funny, but now that I think about it, has Lara ever killed any females?

Arguably Natla in TR1. Sophia Leigh in TR3. (Not sure about AoD).

pot
5th May 2009, 21:53
If you don't like the violence in this game, why would you play it?
Maybe you can go save the whales instead, theres a possibility you'll see a rainbow doing that.

The violence/shooting endangered species was always a very small part of the original game(s). As it has evolved though it has become more focused on the shoot em up element though. I just want to bring TR into the present, make it fluffy, give it a more intellectual and challenging gameplay, rather than just going round shooting things. AFAIAC if people want guns and action they can get that from many other games. It's just a thought, I really feel guilty when I kill animals in the game, even though I know it is not real. But I'm not so much bothered about that as I am about the new controls.

Pulse
7th May 2009, 02:28
I just want to bring TR into the present, make it fluffy, give it a more intellectual and challenging gameplay, rather than just going round shooting things. .

What planet are you from. Shooting games are so popular!!! FPS are extremely popular in North America! Making Tomb Raider "fluffy" would be horrible. Lara is edgey and brilliant. Replacing her (obsessive) desire to get what she wants with the need to put things back in their place would be horrible! Lara is an archaelogist, they dig things up and study them. They don't get artifacts already found and place them far away, hidden from the world.

Puzzles could be improved, but some are pretty challenging now. I think your future for Tomb Raider is very bad. Our raw, unrestrained Lara should never stop being the badass she is, it wouldn't be Tomb Raider then. A Raider, by the way, is basically someone who breaks in and takes something, like an artifact.

Jurre
7th May 2009, 11:11
What planet are you from. Shooting games are so popular!!! FPS are extremely popular in North America! Making Tomb Raider "fluffy" would be horrible. I think it is possible to do that, but then the game should stop to be a high-profile game that is advertized big and all that stuff.... in which case I will drop it and move on to (grrrr!) Uncharted.
If, on the other hand, they decide that Tomb Raider will continue to be a high-profile game I really think they will have to emphasize on good combat and keep the puzzle element restricted to the amount of puzzles found in a Prince of Persia game for instance.

Pulse
8th May 2009, 19:56
Planet La la land? :-) j/k

Good point Nat.

Of course we are just kidding, or at least I am.

There is not a lot one can do to Tomb Raider to make it any better except to add new moves or equipment, and come up with more unique and exotic locations once in a while.

It's been around for ten years, (a dynasty as far as video games are concerned) and it will probably be around for another ten years.

It's always fun to speculate though, just for s&giggles.

Now that I look at your post it does seem kind of joke-y.

Especially the last two lines...