PDA

View Full Version : Eidos announces release schedule and console platform update for TR Underworld

tombnews11
10th Jan 2008, 18:59
Today, Eidos Interactive has released a time schedule and console platform update on Tomb Raider: Underworld through a Trading Statement update on the Bid Talks with other interested parties with respect to a potential offer.

Tomb Raider: Underworld, is now scheduled to launch on 6 platforms (PC, PS3, Xbox 360, NDS, Wii and PS2) simultaneously during the Christmas season. Previously Eidos planned to lauch the game on 3 platforms (PC, PS3 and Xbox 360) in June this year.

Eidos Interactive believes that these simultaneous multi-platform launches in the key buying period, optimises the value that the franchise can deliver to them over the long term.

Tomb Raider: Underworld is yet to be officially announced by Eidos Interactive, although we now expect more news very soon.

Source: http://www.tombnews.com/news/2008011001/

Tomb-Dude
10th Jan 2008, 19:24
Come on!!!

Yerrr im a happy person now! just means i got to wait extra long time for PS2!!!!! but now that seems a lot better more then 3 consoles!!!!!!

dark_angel_7
10th Jan 2008, 19:42
Yep its true, another source for dates:

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200801101433DOWJONESDJONLINE000974_FORTUNE5.htm

humbug
10th Jan 2008, 19:50
Next christmas, thats a whole year away! :eek: Oh well at least the game is less likely to be buggy as they have more time to 'perfect it'.

Tomb-Dude
10th Jan 2008, 19:50
It does seem a long time doesnt it... :( which is a shame but it should be worth it...

Phlip
10th Jan 2008, 19:54
Today, Eidos Interactive has released a time schedule and console platform update on Tomb Raider: Underworld through a Trading Statement update on the Bid Talks with other interested parties with respect to a potential offer.

Tomb Raider: Underworld, is now scheduled to launch on 6 platforms (PC, PS3, Xbox 360, NDS, Wii and PS2) simultaneously during the Christmas season. Previously Eidos planned to lauch the game on 3 platforms (PC, PS3 and Xbox 360) in June this year.

Eidos Interactive believes that these simultaneous multi-platform launches in the key buying period, optimises the value that the franchise can deliver to them over the long term.

Tomb Raider: Underworld is yet to be officially announced by Eidos Interactive, although we now expect more news very soon.

wtf? :nut: That'd be good. :D But is it definitely gonna be available for PS2 and PS3?

Thanks for the news. Looks like it's coming quite quickly as I expected it to take about three years what with the new engine etc. :D

humbug
10th Jan 2008, 19:58
Well as long as releasing TRU on all of the platforms at once doesn't tamper with the quality of the game- I'll be happy. ;)

owen10
10th Jan 2008, 20:24
Quite remarkable how badly people are already responding to this news at tombraiderforums.com. I personally think it's great news; 1, that more people will be able to play a version of the game and 2, that it's being given the additional development time a title like Tomb Raider deserves. Lara at Christmas will surely be the best present of all! ;)

William Croft
10th Jan 2008, 20:25
Yeees!! That saves me £350 :D

LegendLost
10th Jan 2008, 20:28
It's a little upsetting to see the PS2 up there, dont get me wrong, thats the one I'm getting. But, does this mean that even the PS3 next-gen version wont have as good of gameplay/graphics. Or are they going to at least make better version for next-gen consoles!

GoranAgar
10th Jan 2008, 20:31
This is the original source: http://www.hemscott.com/servlet/HsPublic?context=ir.access&ir_option=RNS_NEWS&item=57266947022711&ir_client_id=3144

ditom
10th Jan 2008, 20:46
Next X-Mas...I hope it's worth waiting

Wess~Gamer
10th Jan 2008, 20:48
OMG!! The Wii?
That's GREAT news :D
Thank you..! :D

and yes, next christmas does sound a realy long time away, but I can wait :)
I just know it all be worth it.. (Y)

Mangar The Dark
10th Jan 2008, 20:55
Hmmmm... not sure how I feel about it being available on the PS2. Yeah, it's nice that owners of that system will get to play it, but does that mean that the game is going to be "last generation" as opposed to "next gen"? If so, that could be a nail in the TR coffin, which doesn't do anybody any good.

On the other hand, maybe the PS2 version will just be a drastically scaled-back version of what everyone else is playing. I remember that happening in the days of the Commodore 64. I had a Commodore 64, my friend had an Apple IIe. We'd both buy the same game, but due to the limitations of the Apple IIe, his game would lack the music and side-scrolling features that my Commodore version had. Then he bought an Amiga 500, and again we'd buy the same games, but this time, his Amiga versions completely destroyed my Commodore 64 versions.
Anyway, the point is, I hope TRU takes full advantage of the NEW systems, and doesn't limit itself to the capabilities of the PS2.

donnabright
10th Jan 2008, 20:58
So what your saying is if I have xbox360, then I get the new game in June?

Rai
10th Jan 2008, 21:10
No. It means that TRU will be released at Christmas time on all the platforms they mention simultaneously - which means together.

I am very happy with that. I can wait till then. And I am very happy that the PS2 is being considered as a platform!

@ Mangar, I wouldn't worry. From what I've seen of pics, this game is going to look amazing. As for game play and the rest of it, I'd imagine that is why they are taking longer to release it. If the original release date was set for June, they have another 6 months to perfect the game for all the platforms.

Perhaps the PS2 version will miss out on some features? That will bad, but at least I'll get to play without worrying about forking out on a new system.

humbug
10th Jan 2008, 21:21
Anyway, the point is, I hope TRU takes full advantage of the NEW systems, and doesn't limit itself to the capabilities of the PS2.

I couldn't agree more Manger The Dark, I fear a disaster if they limit themselves to the capabilities of the PS2.

Tomb-Dude
10th Jan 2008, 21:24
i doubt they will limet there selfs... they probally are just going to spread there verity... but makes sure the ps2 version fits the ps2 veriosn and the ps3 verison fits the ps3 version and so on and so forth... If that makes sense?

Rai
10th Jan 2008, 21:32
That makes perfect sense Tomb-Dude :) . I can't see why they can't make this game great no matter what platform they release the game on. They were developing the game for next-gen and created a new engine for those platforms. Why would that change? They obviously decided that gamers would want as much choice for platforms as possible (and of course it's more money for them). But this way they are keeping everyone happy. Wii players won't have to wait like they did for TRA and people with the PS2 won't have to fork out more money for a new games system.

It's all good. :D

GoranAgar
10th Jan 2008, 21:33
Geez, people, think. CD already is halfway through the developement. And when they started it was designed to be a Next Generation game and that is what they have been working on. Now, if someone in management decides TR8 needs to be released on the PS2 as well because Sony is still selling more PS2 than PS3, what do you think they are doing? Starting all over again? Of course not. They will finish it in Next Gen and then just tweak the PS2 version down until it runs on a PS2.

humbug
10th Jan 2008, 21:38
Geez, people, think. CD already is halfway through the developement. And when they started it was designed to be a Next Generation game and that is what they have been working on. Now, if someone in management decides TR8 needs to be released on the PS2 as well because Sony is still selling more PS2 than PS3, what do you think they are doing? Starting all over again? Of course not. They will finish it in Next Gen and then just tweak it down until it runs on a PS2.

Thanks for clearing that up Goran- I think people are just worried that the game would've been a scaled down version due to it being released on PS2. ;)

Tomb-Dude
10th Jan 2008, 21:41
BUt im glad they finally did that becuase i dont have that sort of money to buy a new PC or PS3. Not yet any ways... a 15 year old saving like £400 lol... that would be my dream but that isn't going to happen to me, i have friends to see and living in the middle of known where and giving parents pertol money (yes i have to do that now im earning) it all works out at hte end of the month.
So if the graphics isn't as good as PS3 so what... I'll eventually buy it on PC probally after i compleated it fully on ps2 and then i can play it on my dad's pc. lol

But like Rai said it's all money to them and that is mainly probally what they are after.
Also like Goran says they are probally half way thorugh developing the game, if they are already sending out demos to play magazine and things like that.
But only time will tell.

LisaB1962
10th Jan 2008, 21:43
I thrilled with a simultaneous release. Finally we'll be able to know up front which version to buy. It's no fun buying the first release of a game only to find out waiting a few months would have gotten you a better game.

Joshorty
10th Jan 2008, 21:59
Well at least I won't have to spend my money on anything yet so I'm cool with it being This [next] Christmas. But agh..I'm happy like you guys said, that others will now be able to play it but I REALLY hope they start from NEXT-GEN than to current-gen. The next-gen on Legend was incomplete and sorta but not really rushed. The current-gen Legend was more complete in graphics compared to the next-gen.

And I knew it...they won't be giving up on the Wii market therefore PS2 would have to have it as well. But heck DS gets one why not PSP T_T? That's not cool. But I'm guessing that since all of these are being simultaneously released is causing the delay for the next-gen versions to come out :(

Rai
10th Jan 2008, 22:37
*sigh*

Ya can't please all the people all of the time. Just a few days ago, peeps were worried and upset that it appeared Eidos were only catering for next-gen PC, Xbox360 and PS3; now, when we get what we ask for, we still worry, that the game won't be good enough.

*/sigh* :rolleyes:

Be happy peeps! When did we become a forum full of pessimists? :eek: :p

Lara Cruz
10th Jan 2008, 22:49
Next christmas, thats a whole year away! :eek: Oh well at least the game is less likely to be buggy as they have more time to 'perfect it'.

Its not to perfect it.
The PS2 is holding it back. Its because of that it will be delayed for 6 mounths.

So thanks to Eidos or whoever who thought of this brilliant idea.. I lost all my hope in them taking TR serious. Its cash cow. Nothing else.

Geez, people, think. CD already is halfway through the developement. And when they started it was designed to be a Next Generation game and that is what they have been working on. Now, if someone in management decides TR8 needs to be released on the PS2 as well because Sony is still selling more PS2 than PS3, what do you think they are doing? Starting all over again? Of course not. They will finish it in Next Gen and then just tweak the PS2 version down until it runs on a PS2.

But this is (as I just said) going to get the game delayed.
And isn't it time to let the PS2 die? Just because the PS3 dosen't sell as good as the PS2 dosen't mean it will sell any better. My and all of my friends' PS2 are dying now anyway.

ChOnyD
11th Jan 2008, 00:40
And isn't it time to let the PS2 die? Just because the PS3 dosen't sell as good as the PS2 dosen't mean it will sell any better. My and all of my friends' PS2 are dying now anyway.

OMG OMG OMG OMG
I agree...I think it is time to step up. The game is delayed more.:(
DIE DIE DIE! lol I'm going to erase TR:U from my mind for a couple months.
Just thinking about it makes me go crazy. :( :( :(
I'm sorry.

Verios
11th Jan 2008, 00:49
Its not to perfect it.
The PS2 is holding it back. Its because of that it will be delayed for 6 mounths.

So thanks to Eidos or whoever who thought of this brilliant idea.. I lost all my hope in them taking TR serious. Its cash cow. Nothing else.

Agreed!

rabid metro
11th Jan 2008, 04:56
...But this is (as I just said) going to get the game delayed.
And isn't it time to let the PS2 die? Just because the PS3 dosen't sell as good as the PS2 dosen't mean it will sell any better. My and all of my friends' PS2 are dying now anyway...

you're so funny ... you see, its not about what you want. deep breaths everyone.
Eidos is a big corporation interested in making lots of money. you got that?
nursing a flailing platform (PS3) isn't their goal (although it is a concern).
ignoring clearly successful markets (PS2, Wii, NDS) also doesn't make sense.
so Eidos will attempt to maximize its profits ... its not personal.

... and they're not buffoons either.
the developers know that they have to make next-gen games to stay in the race ...
still, to maximize profits, they should cater to successful markets ...
so you get TRU optimized for next-gen and tweaked to be current-gen compatible.
despite all this, you can bet people will blame them for porting to so many platforms ...

and the horror of it all ... *gasp* :eek: ... we have to wait ... :cool:
i can't help it, i know i'm in broken record mode ...

the silver-lining: you could get a Legend Level Editor as early as the summer of 2009 ...
w00t, w00t !

Mertz523
11th Jan 2008, 06:46
I'm quite surprised that it will be available for the slowly dying PS2. Then again, it's a no-brainer considering that it is a popular system. Plus, since they are going through with a Wii version, it makes sense to release it on the PS2 because the two systems are almost the very same graphics-wise.

I know what I'm asking for Christmas this year, and it's going to the very top of my list--Tomb Raider: Underworld for the Sony PlayStation 3 and the Nintendo Wii.

I'm excited :nut:

Spong
11th Jan 2008, 06:56
I'm quite surprised that it will be available for the slowly dying PS2. Then again, it's a no-brainer considering that it is a popular system.

Don't you mean the most popular system?

But I breathed a huge sigh of relief when I saw the PS2 on the list. Too flippin' right Eidos ****.
As for the 'Christmas' release, I'm not fussed.

RainaAudron
11th Jan 2008, 07:42
I don´t understand why are you so mad about waiting a year for it...It´s a surprise that they´ll release it on ps2 as well, but so what? My life doesn´t depend on this game being released in May or whatever...And not rushing the release may result in avoiding the bugs...

rabid metro
11th Jan 2008, 08:21
...I'm quite surprised that it will be available for the slowly dying PS2. Then again, it's a no-brainer considering that it is a popular system...

Don't you mean the most popular system?

please don't take my word for it. do the research! the PS2, despite being yesterdays technology, is not slowly dying. in fact, it easily dominates the entire combined next-gen market in current sales! that's why it won't go away quickly ... its unbelievably popular! :cool:

ohh, and speaking of the next-gen market, the graphics on the Wii are superior to the PS2 (but not upto PS3, x360 standards). also the Wii boasts superior processing power compared to the PS2 (important for TRU). with the simultaneous releases planned for TRU, there's no need for Wii exclusive features either ...

i would add this note to the discussion also: the Wii (and PS2 also) makes a significant profit with each sale. The PS3 and x360 are loss leaders in the truest sense, losing far more money than they make with each sale. this is just to point out that the price of those consoles is artificial (so if you're interested, now is the time to buy). either of those consoles will have to make a "lite" version before the machines can compete honestly ...

@mertz523, BTW thanks!!! i didn't know that there was a whole A.P. world. i think i have "favorite son" citizenship status there. i'm intrigued ...

maniac44
11th Jan 2008, 16:41
I'm glad I don't own any more Eidos stock. :eek: (http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=16913)

dark_angel_7
11th Jan 2008, 16:54
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=116467

From 'jaywalker' and 'Keir' both who work at Eidos :) Sums it up, your fears of TRU being held back/delayed/downgraded/etc can be tossed away.

Atheist
11th Jan 2008, 17:08
It got delayed by 6 months because of PS2...:eek: ?

Thanks guys. Thanks.

Tomb-Dude
11th Jan 2008, 17:16
Some how that doesn't sound that realistic delaying it becuase of one console... What about the wii they have to tweek it so it fits that, fits the NDS. So they might also been reasons.
But surely once they have compleated it for the next gen (PS3, Xbox360 and PC) they could release them, and then the others??? I dont know?

Treeble
11th Jan 2008, 17:19
That's a wrong assumption.

It was delayed so Eidos generates more profit on the Holiday season. Even if there weren't additional versions, it would still be released by Christmas.

Tomb-Dude
11th Jan 2008, 17:25
That's a wrong assumption.

It was delayed so Eidos generates more profit on the Holiday season. Even if there weren't additional versions, it would still be released by Christmas.

Seems a good way, it's a game we are all dying for, why not wait until christmas this year. More people would probally have more notice, magazines would be like raving about it. Making more and more people want to get it and christmas comes.
Lots and lots of money from people who like us :d Who love Tomb Raider!!!

trxd
11th Jan 2008, 18:11

well then why not make it on nex-gen, release nex-gen, downgrade it to ps2 and then release on ps2 instead of making us wait 6 extra months for a version most of the tr community wont even buy.

Phlip
11th Jan 2008, 18:19
well then why not make it on nex-gen, release nex-gen, downgrade it to ps2 and then release on ps2 instead of making us wait 6 extra months for a version most of the tr community wont even buy.
You do know he did say it is still half in development?

trxd
11th Jan 2008, 18:41
You do know he did say it is still half in development?

lol woops
I apologise eidos i didnt know that when i posted that comment.

Mertz523
11th Jan 2008, 18:45
To clarify about my "slowly dying PS2" comment:

The stores in my area have turned their focus to stocking the next-Gen console games. From my observation, it is slowly dying out here, but I sell more PS2 games at my retail job than any other console. We have more Wii games than any system, with PS2 and 360 games tied in second. DS games outnumber PS3 games.

And seriously, I don't mind the wait. I don't understand how people can be so damn impatient. Life is all about waiting and anticipating. Take a chill pill, folks. We want the companies to take their time so they deliver a polished work of art, not a polished turd (ahem...AoD). From what we've read about the elements that have been revealed the past month, it will be well worth the wait.

And why would one think that the next-gen versions will be watered-down because they decided to make it available for last-gen consoles as well? They wish to cater to both sides, and its obvious they are putting more detail and life into the Next-gen versions than the last-gen versions.

And rabid, it took me a while to figure out what you meant in that last comment at me about 'A.P.' LOL. I have only heard that one song, did you check out the rest of their songs? Also, I played the PS2 version of TRA on a small screen but am playing it for the Wii on a large screen. The graphics look the same to me :o

Atheist
11th Jan 2008, 19:13
Polished turd :lol:

Tomb-Dude
11th Jan 2008, 19:25
the longer we wait *fingers crossed* the better the game. And that's what we want, we want a really good TR game dont we?

Jezyk
11th Jan 2008, 20:19
Seriously, how can anybody be pissed off because Eidos wants to maximize their profits?? They're not charity, you know. TR is a product for people to buy, not something that they develop to make people happy. And the new TR's were a success but not as huge as the first ones, I'm glad they're going to release it before Christmas, perhaps it'll sell better and there'll be no risk of the end of TR just yet.

Rai
11th Jan 2008, 23:43
As a PS2 and a PC player, I'm not exactly thrilled by the wait either. But I'd much rather wait for a top rate game. And by what I have seen and read about the game, it looks as if that is what we will be getting.

So what if we have to wait extra months for TRU?, it probably means CD will be able to work longer on the next gen consoles version and iron out any little bugs and glitches as well as making the PS2, Wii and NDS versions. If the announcement hadn't stated that they were considering releasing the game in June, we'd be none the wiser. On the other hand, if they did announce a June release, there'd be a lot of 'it had better not be rushed' comments going on.

I think there is more to the later release date than just because of the decision to make the game for the later-gen consoles, there are sales figures to consider and of course to keep all gamers happy. When TRA was released the gamers with other platforms, such as Wii, were asking when it was being released. They had to wait. This way, no-one does. The releases aren't staggered.

What would be better? A game that is rushed that may not be to everyone's high expectations & standards? Or a game that has been made to it's best possible quality for all platforms?

Since when was it so essential to have a Tomb Raider game once a year? Didn't the earlier games have an even longer time period in-between them?

Patience is a virtue after all....

NightRain'06
12th Jan 2008, 00:17
From the original link in the original post...

Crystal Dynamics has developed a brand new game-engine to carry Lara forth onto Next-Gen consoles including Sony Playstation3, Xbox 360 and Windows PC. The game also has a hybrid lighting model which combines dynamic lights with carefully created light maps to add a further realm of realism to proceedings.

Awesome ! A brand new engine for PS3, 360 and PC versions.. ! However, I don't know if my current system could handle even the minimum PC requirements of the game. :o Then again, for the previous games the specifications were generous. I would like to get a PS3 and PC versions. Yes, what can I say ? I'm TR whipped ! Or is that Lara whipped...:D :whistle:

I'm patient enough to wait until the holidays since they would need the extra development time for both consoles and the PC but mostly on the consoles.

pot
12th Jan 2008, 00:40
"Crystal Dynamics has developed a brand new game-engine to carry Lara forth onto Next-Gen consoles including Sony Playstation3, Xbox 360 and Windows PC. The game also has a hybrid lighting model which combines dynamic lights with carefully created light maps to add a further realm of realism to proceedings. "

Would be nice to have some of the great lighting effects they had in Tomb Raider III, the lighting in the Nevada level and the London Underground were nice.

donnabright
12th Jan 2008, 12:11
Rai004,
You mean I have to wait, until Christmas. I can't wait that long. :D

aussie500
12th Jan 2008, 13:55
Well its nice that we now know when the approximate release date is, it would have been better if a proper announcement had been made before the Trading Statement was released though. For such a potentially great game that would have to be the most controversial and misunderstood way to announce a game l have ever seen, Tomb Raider Underworld deserved something better that would have at least got it off to a more positive start, than saying it had been delayed for 6 months.

humbug
12th Jan 2008, 19:23
, than saying it had been delayed for 6 months.

I think thats why some people, myself included, where dissapointed that TRU isn't going be released until Xmas. If Eidos hadn't mentioned that it was going to be released in June we wouldn't have been none the wiser!

I don't underatand why the platforms that TRU willl be availble on have been announced, but we haven't had an official conformation yet- do games publishers normally do it this way?

aussie500
13th Jan 2008, 03:30
The trading statement was not meant to be for us, it was for the accountants, shareholders and business people. But since we had not had the official announcement, it was certainly news worthy. While l can understand Keir and the others involved with the preparations for the official announcement, might be left gasping in shock after that news and its effect on some fans, a fast follow up with better worded information and some media would have been a better solution than silence.

LaraCroftLuver
15th Jan 2008, 02:10

you have to say or add quote stuff cause you copyrighted the source to this site

pot
15th Jan 2008, 11:12
No PSP?

Bah!:mad2:

I know that TRL and TRA were slightly lackig because of the limitations of the PSP, and duuuuuuh "games evolve" and all that...

Surely they can make one game for the PSP with slightly more basic controls like the old games on the PSX, I mean why not? It would work I'm telling you.

GoranAgar
15th Jan 2008, 11:35
Surely they can. But someone does not want to.

Do you ever say anything positive?

pot
15th Jan 2008, 12:05
Of course I do GoranAger, if you ever read my posts properly. Do you?

npomis
15th Jan 2008, 14:08
I just can't wait a whole year for this game!
Since I heard of Underworld, I've been very excited!
I read that it could be delayed for the first quarter of 2009, does anybody know anything?

William Croft
15th Jan 2008, 14:29
I just can't wait a whole year for this game!
Since I heard of Underworld, I've been very excited!
I read that it could be delayed for the first quarter of 2009, does anybody know anything?

Havent heard anything about that.. I hope its not true.. Where did you get that from??:scratch:

npomis
15th Jan 2008, 14:47
Havent heard anything about that.. I hope its not true.. Where did you get that from??:scratch:

I don't remember, I was looking for information on the net. It was a Spanish web.

humbug
15th Jan 2008, 15:27
I haven't heard that TRU will be delayed untill 2009. The relase date was changed from june to Xmas so Eidos could capitalize on the christmas market, I wouldn't have thought it would be in their best interests to delay it untill after Xmas. ;)

William Croft
15th Jan 2008, 15:30
I haven't heard that TRU will be delayed untill 2009. The relase date was changed from june to Xmas so Eidos could capitalize on the christmas market, I wouldn't have thought it would be in their best interests to delay it untill after Xmas. ;)

I hadn't thought of it that way.. Very TRU

you get it TRU, True!! ahhahaha hahah:lmao: :lmao:

npomis
15th Jan 2008, 15:35
Well, I feel better now! I wouldn't want it to be delayed even more!

William Croft
15th Jan 2008, 15:42
Well, I feel better now! I wouldn't want it to be delayed even more!

Too TRU, Its been delayed 6 more months... Couldnt stand more

pot
16th Jan 2008, 12:01
No MAC either?

Treeble
16th Jan 2008, 12:14
Mac versions are ported over by another party, so at some point in 2009 we might hear something from Feral Interactive.

pot
16th Jan 2008, 12:31
Are there still pans to release TRA on the MAC this year?

Treeble
16th Jan 2008, 12:37
Feral still says it's coming "before Christmas" (http://www.feralinteractive.com/?section=news&id=213&language=english). So I don't know.

Brazilian publisher of Eidos PC games GreenLeaf has promised Tomb Raider Legend (yes, Legend!) for "soon" since January 1st 2007, yet, here we are, a whole year after that (which was already awful late compared to April 2006 original release) and the game is NOT available yet. I've contacted them recently only to receive a "watch our website for news". :rolleyes:

WickermanT
30th Jan 2008, 02:29
Well I for one can't wait for TRU, but I guess I'll just have to be patient a little while longer, I suppose.