PDA

View Full Version : Just a speculation.

Kill Switch
8th Jan 2008, 02:21
From the trailer, I can see the events take place pre-Deus Ex I and a "templar-like" society is shown. In Deus Ex, the first time you visit U.N.A.T.C.O. there is a data cube on Janice Reed's desk, it reads;

"
Mr. Manderley:

Just FYI, your new password is Kight_Killer (I know you led that mission in Paris against that old terrorist organization or what ever it was.) Your login is still jrmanderley.

Janice
;)
"

Wouldn't this mean that Mr. Manderley, being the old man he is, once was in active duty. And agens't a terrorist group with some relation to the phrase "Knight_Killer". The Knights Templar? What do you guys think?

And by the way, I'm new here, found myself playing Deus Ex for the ninth time after seeing that new trailer. God-Like it was. :D

Unstoppable
8th Jan 2008, 05:46
Hey welcome. Well some people are speculating when Deus Ex 3 will take place. I won't say what I think as not to ruin it for you. If you want the best experience, avoid the forums near release. Also avoid any spoilers threads.

As for J Manderley that's really up to the fans to decide. Maybe in part 3 we'll find out more about him.

gamer0004
8th Jan 2008, 13:44
I'm not sure where I read it in the game but I believe it were indeed the knight's templar.

Zegano
10th Jan 2008, 05:48
Not the Invisible War Templar though, they just stole the name and, I think, the Templar gold that you retrieve in DX1. Yeah, I do hope that you meet Manderley in France or something, if it is a prequel.

vecima
10th Jan 2008, 06:02
if it is a prequel, why not name it something other than deus ex 3?

i mean invisible war was a sequel and yet it doesn't say deus ex 2 on the disc or anywhere on the box.

maybe they will give it some "deus ex: the something of something" title still, but presently the 3 really gives me the "sequel, not prequel" feeling.

v.dog
10th Jan 2008, 09:17
It could well be a working title. Games do it all the time: HL2: Episode 1 was originally call HL2: Aftermath, STALKER's subtitle was originally 'Oblivion Lost', and IIRC correctly, Thief: Deadly Shadows was first announced simply as Thief 3.

Inane Mythos
10th Jan 2008, 11:47
It will of course be a working title, because it's only just been announced. For a title to be chosen the story and plot must be established for it to make sense.

Unless they're going to go with lame and generic names like some companies have gone for recently.

gamer0004
10th Jan 2008, 14:03
I like the name Deus ex 3.
Deus ex, Deus ex: Invisible war and deus ex 3. Makes sense :D

ThatDeadDude
10th Jan 2008, 19:28
I dunno, numbers spell laziness to me. Although, come to think of it, looking at Hollywood, numbers or lack thereof in the name seem to be no indicator of sequel quality.

imported_van_HellSing
12th Jan 2008, 17:58
Well, in some cases this "lazyness" might actually be a Good Thing™.

If I see a gaming sequel with a number, that's ok. But if I see a sequel without a number, only a subtitle, I think uh oh, they're trying to "reimagine" the game or something, which usually leads to frustration - see DX:IW or Thief: Deadly Shadows (latter one wasn't bad, but not as good as 1 & 2).

For me, having a number means that the developers acknowledge the existence of the previous titles and want to keep their feel, no number means experiments, usually failed ones.

B0b_P@ge
12th Jan 2008, 18:21
Yeah, I think your onto something...

Morgan Everrett tells you that Bob_Page actually worked for the Illuminati and later on he leads a split with the a group MJ12 (groups origins dates back to 1947).... the council of the majestic twelve (twelve important people, Bob Page being on it probably). Who knows what happened then, but if you think about it, with the wealth of knowledge available on it, I think it could be an interesting sequel. Mech vs Nano, Illuminati vs Mj12, etc.... sounds good to me. :)

imported_van_HellSing
12th Jan 2008, 18:39
MJ12 was not formed by Page. According to the real world conspiracy theories, it was formed in 1947 - which should be the same in DX. In DX, MJ12 was basically formed as the research & development branch of the Illuminati. Page just made it splinter from the Illuminati (taking hold of the majority of the Illuminati structure) and work on it's own, opting to quickly take over the world by force rather than gain control slowly and in secret as the Illuminati would have it.

gamer0004
12th Jan 2008, 20:06
MJ12 was not formed by Page. According to the real world conspiracy theories, it was formed in 1947 - which should be the same in DX. In DX, MJ12 was basically formed as the research & development branch of the Illuminati. Page just made it splinter from the Illuminati (taking hold of the majority of the Illuminati structure) and work on it's own, opting to quickly take over the world by force rather than gain control slowly and in secret as the Illuminati would have it.

According to the game Page did form MJ-12. The conspiracy theories IRL are mixed up to something that actually makes (a bit) sense in DX.

imported_van_HellSing
12th Jan 2008, 20:17
According to the game Page did form MJ-12.

I request a quote on that.

Until then, let me quote from the Continuity Bible:

...in the middle of the 20th century it became clear that control of financial matters and technology would be necessary to influence a world increasingly leery of politicians and more and more likely to reject traditional religious beliefs. For this reason, two new arms were created -- the Bilderberg Group and Majestic 12.

Majestic 12 was the Illuminati's technology and communications leader. It doles out technological advances and stores those the world is not yet ready for (or those too powerful to give to potential enemies). It controls the supply of drugs -- licit and illicit and can introduce new diseases as it wishes (diseases for which it already has a cure ready and waiting, of course). Majestic 12 is also charged with influencing and, where possible, managing the world's intelligence organizations.

The Bible is second tier canon - everything is true unless explicitly contradicted by the game.

gamer0004
12th Jan 2008, 20:24
I request a quote on that.

Until then, let me quote from the Continuity Bible:

The Bible is second tier canon - everything is true unless explicitly contradicted by the game.

Ok, I have no idea where I read it or heard it, but I'll play the game again and see if I can discover where it was. But not now.
If I find out you'll probably not hear from it because I still have to finish the DX:IW no-item run, project: snowblind and sam & max season 1 :P

MaxxQ1
12th Jan 2008, 23:58
Well, in some cases this "lazyness" might actually be a Good Thing™.

If I see a gaming sequel with a number, that's ok. But if I see a sequel without a number, only a subtitle, I think uh oh, they're trying to "reimagine" the game or something, which usually leads to frustration - see DX:IW or Thief: Deadly Shadows (latter one wasn't bad, but not as good as 1 & 2).

For me, having a number means that the developers acknowledge the existence of the previous titles and want to keep their feel, no number means experiments, usually failed ones.

I have to agree with this. Homeworld: Cataclysm was something of a disappointment to me, and I place Homeworld 2 higher.

Admittedly though, Baldur's Gate 2: The Shadows of Amn was, IMO better than Baldur's Gate, but then the title DOES contain a number. The same goes for the Neverwinter Nights series, and the No One Lives Forever series.

My thoughts on DX are that DX3 is currently just a working title, but will most likely be released as DX3: (fill in the blank).

gamer0004
13th Jan 2008, 10:24
I have to agree with this. Homeworld: Cataclysm was something of a disappointment to me, and I place Homeworld 2 higher.

Admittedly though, Baldur's Gate 2: The Shadows of Amn was, IMO better than Baldur's Gate, but then the title DOES contain a number. The same goes for the Neverwinter Nights series, and the No One Lives Forever series.

My thoughts on DX are that DX3 is currently just a working title, but will most likely be released as DX3: (fill in the blank).

I hope they don't do that... Check this: Deus Ex 2 : Invisible war
That's just strange... It's like an add-on by Deus ex 2 or something.
I hope they either do Deus ex 3 or deus ex: ***

imported_van_HellSing
13th Jan 2008, 12:30
I don't know what you mean by strange, recently EA did exactly the same with Command & Conquer. First, there were the Westwood games, Command & Conquer (later unofficially dubbed Tiberian Dawn) and C&C: Tiberian Sun (no numeration, and would you guess it, the weakest game in the series), then EA decided to release the third game as Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars.
Or, take the Star Wars or Star Trek movies, they have both numeration and sub titles. Doesn't bother me the least.

gamer0004
13th Jan 2008, 13:34
I know it's used, but I still find it strange.