PDA

View Full Version : MISC. Nosgoth.exe process not killable

MakaHost
10th Dec 2013, 17:26
Hey

Because of the Steam-Downtime I wanted to test whether it's possible to play Nosgoth while running Steam in Offline-Mode.

Sadly, Nosgoth gave me an "You have to be logged into Steam"-Error message and closed the game, however, Nosgoth.exe is still running (in my process-list) and won't exit when trying to kill it via task-manager.

When trying to close Steam, steam also tries to shut down Nosgoth but fails.

Some infos about the process:
Runs with 0% CPU and 173.740K Ram (not changing).
I created a dump of the process, in case it helps finding out what stopped it from closing.

EDIT:
After about ~5 minutes it closed, no idea what was holding it off for so long.

Syst3mzero
10th Dec 2013, 17:28
Please don't replicate topics. this could have been added to the steam outage thread.

MakaHost
10th Dec 2013, 17:32
This thread however is not about steam not being online, but about using steam-offline modus and an resulting error in the game not closing properly (;

Monkeythumbz
10th Dec 2013, 17:57
Please don't replicate topics. this could have been added to the steam outage thread.

We've deployed a new build to Steam, which will be downloaded as an automatic update.

In order to launch this process, you'll need to quit the game and wait for the automatic download to commence before relaunching the game.

This will solve today's issues.

blincoln
12th Dec 2013, 04:25
If you run into this unkillable process situation again, consider using Process Hacker (http://processhacker.sourceforge.net/). It's basically a greatly-enhanced equivalent of Process Explorer. One of its options is a Swiss army knife of process-killing functions, including as a last resort overwriting the target process' memory with random data. If that doesn't kill the process, you're going to have to reboot your PC :).

hirukaru
12th Dec 2013, 21:38
If you run into this unkillable process situation again, consider using Process Hacker (http://processhacker.sourceforge.net/). It's basically a greatly-enhanced equivalent of Process Explorer. One of its options is a Swiss army knife of process-killing functions, including as a last resort overwriting the target process' memory with random data. If that doesn't kill the process, you're going to have to reboot your PC :).

These programs I do not recommend for people who are just using there computer.
The standard process explorer should be able to kill most processes without using a brute force shutdown.

I trust that the team fixed it.

Strike5150
13th Dec 2013, 12:10
I would also avoid process hacker. There are a lot of games which won't even start if you have it running, because they don't like it when you poke around in their code. There are useful times for such things but I don't think gaming is one of them hehe.