PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider- Underworld. Storyline information.

TombRaider.in.Training
6th Jan 2008, 15:52
Ok, I'm sure some of you if not most of you would know this already, but I've done a tad bit of research and found a few things out about the storyline for Underworld. Ofcourse I don't know what's right and what's just banter and hype but that's why I think we should all post what we know about "Underworld" in one thread. So lets do it right here, right now.

Ok firstly the game (I've heard) is going to be based around the ancient Mayan calender which is set to end in 2012 as they beleived that's the year when the world will end. Anyway, in their calender system they beleived there was five days that the line between living and the dead becomes blurred. Which can only mean one thing for Lady Croft......ZOMBIES! Anyway I think the game is going to be set around these five days, or somhow around the aspect of the world ending in 2012. I'm not sure, it was all just random convos I heard on other forums here and there. Feel free to correct me. I'm just beyond anxious to know what Lara gets up to next!!

Oh and apparently the game won't tie into Legend, so it'll leave it as a cliffhanger for another little while. (Apparently >_<)

Jezyk
6th Jan 2008, 16:08
Personally I hope there'll be no skeleton, ghoul & zombie stuff. Some spectres or ghosts well it would be tad better, but I hope they're gonna invent new creatures (like Amanda's monster in TRL) or at least use some less popular ones.

TombRaider.in.Training
6th Jan 2008, 16:29
OMG wasn't amanda's monster the bomb! But I really hope anniversary makes good use of putting Lara into those situations where she's surrounded by enemy's (human that is, as much as I love the beasties :p) those gunfights were incredible! They were a true taste of an interactive movie! Like wow! Like the first fight Lara has in Legend, that's when I first discovered Lara's acrobatic dodge techniques and after "angel of darkness" I was ecstatic. But I just heard somone say "underworld" wasn't going to be released on ps2. Is this true???? If so I'm totally screwed!

Rai
6th Jan 2008, 16:33
Where did you hear Underworld isn't tied to Legend? Because I'm sure it is. According to the articles I've read it is definitely set after the events of Legend, so it makes sense that the story is continued.

I mean why would CD create two completely different story-lines, run them simultaneously and leave them both with cliffhangers? That doesn't make sense.

Atheist
6th Jan 2008, 17:30
No.

Zombies? No.

I could see this coming. I knew this was going to happen...

If there is zombies, I am not playing it. Tomb Raider is a puzzle and adventure game, not a horror.

Atheist
6th Jan 2008, 17:33
But I just heard somone say "underworld" wasn't going to be released on ps2. Is this true???? If so I'm totally screwed!

Of course it's not going to be realised on PS2. PS2 or Xbox can't support the new game, and won't be able to again in the future.

If you want to play a massive game with amazing graphics and such...get a PS3 or 360 or a PC that can actaully PLAY them.

TombRaider.in.Training
6th Jan 2008, 18:35
I heard that all the PS3 games were backward compatible anyway, now I know what you'll all think, if so, then why buy a PS3 in the first place if the games can be played on PS2 but apparently if the developers want to, the game can be played on the older medium just not to the standard of the PS3. I dunno, don't shoot me I'm just repeating. But its odd that they wouldn't release it on PS2, its so close to the release of the others, and PS2 is still a strong market. And aren't they only using the Legend and Anniversary engine anyway? But I want to know, is it set in stone, like officially said that it won't be released on PS2????

TombRaider.in.Training
6th Jan 2008, 18:47
Ignore what I just said, I now know its only on PS3 or PC, but XBOX?? Cmon people they wasted time on XBOX and not PS2?? I think ill go cry, looks like its PC for me, lucky I got a new one for chrissy, but 1 question, what controller can I get for the computer that will make the gameplay as close to a playstation as possible, I'm terrible with playing those games on a kepboard.

Rai
6th Jan 2008, 18:52
Buy yourself a pc compatible gamepad. :) I have a logitech and the controls are very similar to a PS2 gamepad. I'm useless with the keyboard too (with gaming) so it is a godsend. You can get one quite cheaply. I do believe you can also get PS2 controllers that are pc compatible.

humbug
6th Jan 2008, 18:53
I think the new TR is being released on XBox 360 not Xbox.

Atheist
6th Jan 2008, 21:15
Ignore what I just said, I now know its only on PS3 or PC, but XBOX?? Cmon people they wasted time on XBOX and not PS2??

No, it's not being released on PS2 or Xbox. It's only PS3 and Xbox 306 (and PC of course)

Treeble
6th Jan 2008, 21:20
Xbox 306

Don't confuse him further, Atheist. :D

(jk ;))

Archelaos
6th Jan 2008, 21:24
Since I'm seemingly the only voice for it, guess I'd better speak up in favor of the zombies. Or rather, poltergeists or something creative. You know, somethin to spice it up a little. And that's even IF they touch some 5 day period, which, if I were them, I couldn't resist delving into. Anyway, I think tomb raider needs to do something new. You know, exploring epic tombs 'n such is all well and good... for a while. I just think that in order to keep it interesting they need to delve to a new depth, story wise, enemy wise, etc. Whether that means they introduce a little suspense, fear, you know, just something... well, new. Thoughts?

humbug
6th Jan 2008, 21:28
Since I'm seemingly the only voice for it, guess I'd better speak up in favor of the zombies. Or rather, poltergeists or something creative. You know, somethin to spice it up a little.

As long as TR doesn't turn into a FPS, and theres more then one strategy for taking out ememys- zombies are cool with me.
:D

Hamud-64
9th Jan 2008, 19:36
I heard that all the PS3 games were backward compatible anyway, now I know what you'll all think, if so, then why buy a PS3 in the first place if the games can be played on PS2 but apparently if the developers want to, the game can be played on the older medium just not to the standard of the PS3. I dunno, don't shoot me I'm just repeating. But its odd that they wouldn't release it on PS2, its so close to the release of the others, and PS2 is still a strong market. And aren't they only using the Legend and Anniversary engine anyway? But I want to know, is it set in stone, like officially said that it won't be released on PS2????

omg .... some one is stupid how can ps2 play ps3 games when it doesnt have blue-ray mechanik ?? u know the ps2 uses normal cds but ps3 uses blue-ray wich is very difrent !!! and the new game has a NEW engine .... and a normal ps2 cd cant have all data wich will have ps3 blue-ray , so just try to think befor u post anything :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

TombRaider.in.Training
10th Jan 2008, 14:54
omg .... some one is stupid how can ps2 play ps3 games when it doesnt have blue-ray mechanik ?? u know the ps2 uses normal cds but ps3 uses blue-ray wich is very difrent !!! and the new game has a NEW engine .... and a normal ps2 cd cant have all data wich will have ps3 blue-ray , so just try to think befor u post anything :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

Okay here's an idea. GET OVER YOURSELF! Sorry I didn't happen to know the specifics. Unlike you I have a life and live it. I don't sit in a darkened room all day playing ps2 and worrying about the mechanics of the machine. I only joined this forum because I have a love of Tomb Raider, and besides I was only repeating what I'd read in an australian gaming magazine in the early developmental days of the ps3 before it was even finished. And if you listened to what I said instead of being sooo eager to let some steam off I said that the ps3 game would lack certain standards and features when played on a ps2. Now I don't know where you live and more importantly I couldn't give a rats ass, but that's what was written in an australian playstation mag, and if every one else who read this post knew I was confused and could tell me so in a nice way like atheist for example, it only makes ****weeds like you who come along after look stupid and foolish. Not me. I don't know who pissed in your coffee that day but buy a punching bag and take it out on that, not on me. Cos you know you just look oh so tough bullying people over the internet. Get a life you ass wipe, pieces of scum who can't express themselves in any other way than negative shouldn't be aloud near the net, only cos you embarrass yourself

RainaAudron
10th Jan 2008, 15:55
Okay here's an idea. GET OVER YOURSELF! Sorry I didn't happen to know the specifics. Unlike you I have a life and live it. I don't sit in a darkened room all day playing ps2 and worrying about the mechanics of the machine.

Who said that Hamud plays his PS2 all day long?! and doesn´t have a life to live?! :mad:
He maybe didn´t use the appropriate words, though, but he´s right - there´s no way ps2 can play ps3 games anyway...

Rai
10th Jan 2008, 16:03
I think Tomraider.in.training was just confused. PS3 is meant to be backwards compatible and able to play PS2 games, isn't it?

Hamid shouldn't have called him stupid and Tombraider shouldn't have retaliated quite that way. They're both at fault.

Now let's bring the thread back to topic....once there's more news.

LisaB1962
10th Jan 2008, 21:41
Just to clarify---

The new lower-priced 40 gig PS3 has NO backwards compatibility. Only the sixty (of which there are no new ones being made) and the 80 gig have backwards compatibility.

William Croft
11th Jan 2008, 16:21
Oh and apparently the game won't tie into Legend, so it'll leave it as a cliffhanger for another little while. (Apparently >_<)

ARE YOU SERIOUS................... THIS IS DISGUSTING..... They had a hell of a storyline there and they leave it WHATS THIS ABOUT??? Thats urggggghhghh!!!! Arghhh so angry although i hope its a rumor.

Anyway I think the Mayan Calander storyline should be cought but Legend was better *WINK WINK COUGH COUGH CRYSTAL DYNAMICS AND EIDOS*

Rai
11th Jan 2008, 16:34
TRU is a continuation of Legend. The events happen where Legend left off. The Mayan calendar is just a part of that.

Tomb-Dude
11th Jan 2008, 16:49
TRU is a continuation of Legend. The events happen where Legend left off. The Mayan calendar is just a part of that.

'tis true...

It is a continuation of Legend, i read it somewhere but cant 100% remember where from. But it is.

Mangar The Dark
11th Jan 2008, 17:35
If they're smart, they'll make it continue, but also design it so that someone who has not played Legend will still be able to understand/enjoy it. If the player HAS to know what happened in Legend, they'll lose a bunch of casual gamers. But, if they ignore the Legend story line, they'll piss off the more diehard fans.

By the way, has there been any word yet on how much Zip and Alistair will be in TRU? I know I read somewhere that the designers are trying to make the game so that the player feels isolated (like in the early TR games), so I wonder if that means Lara won't have her headset.

GrrrboyMC
13th Jan 2008, 01:31
I like this Mayan calander idea...

...I'm thinking perhaps if the line between the living and the dead becomes blurred, maybe Lara can come into contact with her father again....maybe she discovers some new information about the location of her mother to be used in the next Tomb Raider after TRU ???

Thinking ahead!

naraku
13th Jan 2008, 02:21
I like this Mayan calander idea...

...I'm thinking perhaps if the line between the living and the dead becomes blurred, maybe Lara can come into contact with her father again....maybe she discovers some new information about the location of her mother to be used in the next Tomb Raider after TRU ???

Thinking ahead!

See I suggested the same thing and folks thought I was crazy.:rasp:

aussie500
13th Jan 2008, 02:55
I only joined this forum because I have a love of Tomb Raider, and besides I was only repeating what I'd read in an australian gaming magazine in the early developmental days of the ps3 before it was even finished. And if you listened to what I said instead of being sooo eager to let some steam off I said that the ps3 game would lack certain standards and features when played on a ps2.

Excuse me even Australian magazines are not backward enough to say a PS3 game is going to play in a PS2 console, you simply misunderstood what they meant by backwards compatible. Yes it will be lacking some features if you attempt to play a PS3 game on your PS2, it will sit there spinning and nothing will happen since a PS2 cannot read a PS3 game.

Wayeb the 5 days where the portals between the mortal realm and the Underworld open allowing ill-intending deities from the Underworld into our realm occurs every year, it has nothing to do with 2012 and the end of the world. And yes Underworld will continue not long after Legend finished, so it will be continuing the story.