PDA

View Full Version : Thief Gold installation (copying install files?)

FriarTed
1st Jan 2008, 14:31
A few months ago, my LD GF tried to get Thief Gold installed on her laptop, using the \setup.exe - lgntforce method, but it failed. We've had so many other problems that the dealer is letting us return the laptop, but she'd like to try installing it one more time before returning it. She insists that I had told her about a way I found on the Net to force the installation by creating a new file, copying the disc contents to it, and forcing a setup/installation that way.

I've looked in my files for this & the only things I've found are the TTLG FAQ
and the "Game Issues With Multiprocessor/Hyperthreading Systems" page. I think either she is confused or I mistakenly told her these pages would explain how to do the above. (She's the gamer, I am not.)

So is there such a way to force installation by copying/pasting the Thief CD contents to a file or are we mistaken? Thanks much!

-------
EDIT: I changed your title to make it more useful for searching.

Peter_Smith
1st Jan 2008, 19:24
You should not have to do an install from the hard drive. You are missing some steps. There are several steps you must take to get Thief Gold to work, and you have apparently done only two of them.

1. Do the install using -lgntforce, where "l" is a lower case L. I think you have done this.

2. Find the section in the TTLG FAQ about safe_texture_manager:
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75031#texturememory

In there, you will find a paragraph which says that to get Thief 1 to run you need to replace the EXE. Download the appropriate EXE, rename your original EXE, copy (for a backup) the downloaded EXE into the Thief install directory, and rename the copy to the original EXE's name. In my case it's thief.exe

3. Take care of the multiple CPU issue by setting the affinity of the process, as described in the TTLG FAQ. Salvage's permanent fix (imagecfg) modifies Thief.exe. That is why you want a backup in step 2.

4. If you have an Nvidia graphics card, only certain drivers can run Thief 1. Deinstall the drivers completely using Add / Remove programs, reboot, and then install driver version 163.71 or 163.75 (may need to find it in Nvidia's archives). Do not install the latest Nvidia driver 169.xx, which has a bug and breaks several old games.

If you have an ATI card, get their latest drivers 7.11 or 7.12 because they are reported to solve a problem with lack of fog.

5. If it has problems launching the program, you may consider modifying the file install.cfg, as described in this thread.
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=50569&highlight=install.cfg
But it should not be necessary if you have used the replacement EXE, which is needed to implement the safe_texture_manager fix.

You should report your system stats including video card and driver version if this does not solve your problem.

FriarTed
4th Jan 2008, 01:07
"In another issue, she has a duo core notebook & is trying to fix the multiprocessor issue but the Alt-Tab out of the game does nothing, nor does any mention of Thief appear in the processes when we CntlAltDel to bring up Task Manager from the game menu.

She had Geek Squad look at it and they somehow got the game to install, but something screwed up and now it won't uninstall. Maybe this is a problem because we can't get it to uninstall. It says the data may be corrupted. She's also tried various patches but they wouldn't run because the game wasn't properly installed. Even though Geek Squad screwed it up, they at least got it to install.

Who out there has a notebook that will run Thief Gold, and what do you have? What system are you running and what bit are you running at? What is your graphic card? What kind of processor is it? We were told this game will not install or run at over 32 bit. This seemed to prove true as she went through all the Best Buy PCs and notebooks. The only one she got to run there was a duo-core PC on Vista operating at 32 bit, rather than a 64 which everything else was running at. However, others have said they got theirs running at 64 bit.

Please stick with us on this. She's a hard core gamer and this is her favorite game. She is sending back her Gateway, partly because she can't get it to run this game, even though it runs several others, including old Doom in DOS.
If anyone can help us figure this out, you will be added to her personal Pantheon of Gods.

If this seems disjointed, remember that she & I are working together on this over the phone, as she is not on the Net, and I can't see what she is doing."

On a personal note- Thanks for your help, Peter- I'll let you know how things work out.

FriarTed
22nd Jan 2008, 16:20
I updated an Oct thread I started on this & remembered this one also.

Long story short- she never got the laptop to accept TG, just borrowed back her old desktop that she'd given her Mom & had always played TG on- and got the good ol' NT/DivX error message. She called me at work so I wasn't able to walk her thru the -lgntforce fix or the HD installation. She did want me to update this forum & ask for any further advice. When she & I talk later, I'll see if she got Compatability Wizard to move the installation along & if not, will try to walk her through the fixes. She's wondering if some old light scratches might affect this but they haven't before.

Any more tips will be appreciated OR any leads on finding new TG sets. (I'm looking on eBay, half.com, amazon.com & Yahoo, got some leads but always open for more.)

I'll try to get her desktop specs also.

Peter_Smith
24th Jan 2008, 05:25
I don't understand what your problem is. I already listed the things that I think you have to do, but you do not seem to be following them. Among other things, I said that you do not have to install from the hard drive. I have no idea what "the good ol' NT/DivX error message" is. I think you need to follow my my suggested steps and explain any problems you encounter more carefully. Maybe you should pay your GF a visit. :) I don't have anything more to add.

FriarTed
24th Jan 2008, 05:53
I don't understand what your problem is. I already listed the things that I think you have to do, but you do not seem to be following them. Among other things, I said that you do not have to install from the hard drive. I have no idea what "the good ol' NT/DivX error message" is. I think you need to follow my my suggested steps and explain any problems you encounter more carefully. Maybe you should pay your GF a visit. :) I don't have anything more to add.

When installing TG on the laptops & the desktop, she gets an error message that it will not install on Windows NT. It is the problem that is usually resolved by putting -lgntforce in Setup. It did not work on the laptops & when she called me about the desktop, I was at work & was not able to walk her through it.

And right now, I'm in Indiana, she's in Idaho. Yeah, it's kinda a pain being the middleman in all this. :-D So a visit isn't quite practical at the moment.

HOWEVER, when I talked to her earlier today, it turned out the Compatability Wizard did allow a successful installaton, so the problem resolved itself for now. She is able to feed her TG habit once more!

Thanks for the response. Sorry things have been so sporadic. I'm just in an odd position here trying to relay messages for her.