PDA

View Full Version : The AI in the game

Blackluc
29th Dec 2007, 23:11
I didn't like the AI in TRL and in TRA it's worse. Do you think that in TRU the AI will be better? in TRA the monsters cant even go in the stairs... thats crappy. I would like that in the next TR, the guys can hide behind things and shoot us and do more stuff than just turning arround. I heard somewhere that the game will be inspired by GoW, i hope its real. I would like to crouch behind a box and shoot at ennemies. It would be fun if the ennmies could do the same thing... you guys think its gonna be better in TRU ?? tell me what you think of this.

ChOnyD
30th Dec 2007, 01:05
I think it will be better.

It also said in the PLAY article that the human enemies will be smarter and better than ever. So, hopefully we will have some more challenging battles with both human and creature enemies.

ditom
30th Dec 2007, 15:23
I hope AI will be like in Crysis.Then we would have very hard and inteligent enemies to kill.

Atheist
30th Dec 2007, 15:30
I thought the AI in Anniversary was terrible...TR1 had better AI! :confused:

In TR1, if you looked down from the top of the waterfall in the Lost Valley, you could (if I remember correctly) see the wolves lying down and walking around and minding their own business. If you jumped into the water or went somewhere out of reach, they'd leave you and carry on walking around.

In Anniversary, if you climb on a ledge, they'll run up to you and run at the wall and keep running and running nowhere.

In a video before TRA was realised, they said the AI was better.

I may be wrong, but I don't see how it is...:confused:

ditom
30th Dec 2007, 15:34
AI in TRA is same of even worse than it was in Legend.Killing animals is very easy.They can't climb or jump.I hope in TRU there will be very hard to kill enemies.

Blackluc
30th Dec 2007, 17:22
Killing animals in TRA was crappy, i prefer killing nothing than killing that. There's absolutly no fun killing the dumiest thing in the world. It would be so fun if the game was a shooter/adventure. In the first tomb raiders, i had fun killing the big guys you know... now, i feel like if its there just to say that theres some ennemies. Bosses were fun in TRA, but not every ennemy is a boss... the only reason it looked better, its because there are hudge so when they run it looks like they are running in our direction.

Atheist
30th Dec 2007, 18:41
What...killing animals is great! (In TR oviously :nut:)

2 lions leaping out at you or a swarm of raptors biting at you from all sides or a pack of wolves knocking you over and running circles round you or a gorrilla pelting you with a rock or a cat mummy suddenly pouncing out at you and clawing and screeching...

better than some guys with guns like in Legend :(

RaiderGirl#1
30th Dec 2007, 18:49
I'm guessing that the AI will be better since it sounds like that combat is going to be a bit more incorporated in the game. I read that she could pick up a staff or something and hold onto it and use it in combat- so I hope that the AI will be better. I also hope that wherever these enemies are, will make more sense. For example in Legend when the two jaguars were in the temple in Bolivia, I found that it did not make much sense.

Atheist
30th Dec 2007, 18:55
I also hope that wherever these enemies are, will make more sense. For example in Legend when the two jaguars were in the temple in Bolivia, I found that it did not make much sense.

There's loads of places with animals that don't make sense.

I've been playing Anniversary, and how could two wolves survive in a little room in a tomb with no openings and no food or sunlight or comfort?
How can a raptor suddenly appear in a hallway when there's no way to get in? How could a raptor survive in a ditch with nothing and no way out?

I hope they sort that out.

RaiderGirl#1
30th Dec 2007, 19:17
Exactly!!! There is the whole thing of the different type of creatures in TRU so it might not matter as much.

Atheist
3rd Jan 2008, 15:39
I've been playing through Greece and I'm in the middle of Eygpt atm, and the AI is AWFUL in Anniversary.

In Palace Midas, right at the end, 2 gorrilas are fighting you on the platform behind the statue. If you just take a little step back onto the statue's shoulder...they can't reach you!! You can just stand inches away from them and shoot without getting hurt at all.

Didn't the gorrilas in TR1 CLIMB UP BLOCKS? I sware they did, I sware that they could even follow you up climbing blocks. But 10 years later, they can't even go down a little step?

LisaB1962
3rd Jan 2008, 16:58
Gorillas could follow you up the stairs, but I don't think they climbed on blocks. Could be wrong though.

Jezyk
3rd Jan 2008, 17:29
Well TR isn't about fighting gorillas and raptors so the AI doesn't bother me at all. And the "impossible" locations of enemies are in the franchise since the beginning, sometimes they could even appear out of thin air after pulling a switch or picking something up. It's just the rule of the game, otherwise there would be nothing to fight.

Tomb-Dude
3rd Jan 2008, 17:32
I didn't think the AI is that bad to be honest :scratch:
I enjoyed the AI becuase it was simple, the animals weren't to cleaver really because annimals like that been locked in a cave for years one thing on there mind is to kill so they just charged at you, i never went somewhere where they couldn't get me becuase i didn't find that fun at all...

Mangar The Dark
3rd Jan 2008, 20:05
How could a raptor survive in a ditch with nothing and no way out?

I hope they sort that out.[/B]

Um, if we're talking "realism" here, raptors died out several million years ago. So if you're looking for things to be totally logical and realistic, TR might not be the best place to start.

ExH
3rd Jan 2008, 20:33
They need to seriously put some work on it. Maybe TRA AI wasn't that bad, but it still had some unfinished stuff...

What about TRL, human enemies weren't that bad (not considering they didn't run away when grenade landed under them)... but animals were really stupid, they were almost always starring at me (saying „oh, kill me already“ ?) untill I killed them... :lol:

ChOnyD
4th Jan 2008, 01:10

I've been playing Anniversary, and how could two wolves survive in a little room in a tomb with no openings and no food or sunlight or comfort?
How can a raptor suddenly appear in a hallway when there's no way to get in? How could a raptor survive in a ditch with nothing and no way out?

I think that the locations of where the animals appear aren't supposed to make sense. It gives you the feeling that anything can pop out at anytime.

I love that feeling lol.

Tomb-Dude
4th Jan 2008, 01:22

Sorry to pick on this one again Atheist...

But if you remember that happened to TR 1 also... and if i remember most of the TR's Flick a switch out comes a person or annimal turn a corner out pops another one... It just how TR is im afraid...

Capkeez
4th Jan 2008, 06:33
I'd like monsters to be able to climb on walls and stuff, and pick up physics objects to throw at you.

Captain Mazda
4th Jan 2008, 07:22
I'd like monsters to be able to climb on walls and stuff, and pick up physics objects to throw at you.

Well, at least the gorillas did that. Other enemies did nothing to carry their weight :rolleyes:

Atheist
4th Jan 2008, 12:36
Um, if we're talking "realism" here, raptors died out several million years ago. So if you're looking for things to be totally logical and realistic, TR might not be the best place to start.

True. But I never said I wanted it to be TOTTALY logical and realistic, I just want the wolves and raptors and such to have a bit of a lair and some food, y'know. I'm not saying take out all the mummies and mutants and dinosaurs and whatever else.

Sorry to pick on this one again Atheist...
But if you remember that happened to TR 1 also... and if i remember most of the TR's Flick a switch out comes a person or annimal turn a corner out pops another one... It just how TR is im afraid...

Yes, I know, it happens in all the games. I do understand but like I said, I don't want everything to be PERFECT, just a little more...erm...sensible. And I know that's how TR is, it's one of the things that makes TR great! :D

Tomb-Dude
4th Jan 2008, 12:38
The wolfs were pretty comfy and then lara came round they might of been having a nice little snack... like a worm or something from the ground :scratch: And saw Lara as a feast?
You never know what the animals are thinking.... Even though it is a game? Oh well... i don't think the developers would think that we were going to think of something so simple like that???

Atheist
4th Jan 2008, 12:49
The wolfs were pretty comfy and then lara came round they might of been having a nice little snack... like a worm or something from the ground :scratch: And saw Lara as a feast?
You never know what the animals are thinking.... Even though it is a game? Oh well... i don't think the developers would think that we were going to think of something so simple like that???

Okay, lol. Fair enough.

I was just suggesting that mabye you could have maybe a few scraps of food around and mabye a place that you could image little animals and stuff getting to them, thats all.

But then if everyone thinks thats way too much for a TR game then well, fair enough.

Tomb-Dude
4th Jan 2008, 12:54
Okay, lol. Fair enough.

I was just suggesting that mabye you could have maybe a few scraps of food around and mabye a place that you could image little animals and stuff getting to them, thats all.

But then if everyone thinks thats way too much for a TR game then well, fair enough.

I hope this doesn't sound like its aim at you.
But in the old TR's did any actually think of anything like that when the animals just popped out?
But like you said Athiest with food piles or something... Human bones perhaps, or other annimals bones just like lerking around in their little hiding places wouldnt be to much to ask for really would it from them?

Acid_Burn
5th Jan 2008, 08:09
AI will be much better. :rasp:
I've read that spiders will be able to climb the walls and pols, so Lara will be able to shoot from the poles.

Shaidester
5th Jan 2008, 15:04
Gorillas could follow you up the stairs, but I don't think they climbed on blocks. Could be wrong though.

Actually, I was playing the game last week and within a Greece level, I had one of those gorillas get into rage mode running towards me. I was at the part of the level where you get the lead but there are heaps of minature column-like things you have to go through. He got stuck on one of those blocks when he tried to attack me :$.