PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex 3 - Fan Missions?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
28th Dec 2007, 11:00
I hope there will be the possibility to expand the game and community with regular fan missions, like the Thief series. :cool:

Thoughts on this guys 'n' gals? :)

mr_cyberpunk
28th Dec 2007, 11:13
if it didn't.. then that'd be a stab in the back to the community that has supported the franchise for all these years and revived interest in the game.. we'll manage without an SDK however since the community coped well with IWar not having an SDK. But the possibility of at least having legal access to those files would be nice.. please don't make me hack files again.

SageSavage
28th Dec 2007, 11:45
(...) since the community coped well with IWar not having an SDK.By totally ignoring it apart from better textures (which I don't think you have been envolved with)?

mr_cyberpunk
29th Dec 2007, 01:55
No I wasn't, but JAF is working on some work around for IWar. It'd still be good to fix the game.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
29th Dec 2007, 17:34
Well, being a Thief fan, I have survived happily over the years playing all the fan missions for this great game.
I just hope DE3 will create a stronger community... there will be demand for regular fan missions to satisfy our needs, hehe. ;)

gamer0004
29th Dec 2007, 19:04
Lol for the real fans of Deus Ex: it's DX not DE ;)
DE is a coffee brand in Holland btw.

Kneo24
29th Dec 2007, 20:26
The inability to make mods for this game would be retarded. It's fairly standard in most AAA titles these days, or at least should be.

Bluey71
29th Dec 2007, 21:54
I agree with the op, it would be cool indeed to have fan missions.

Unfortunately, I dont think we will see an SDK for dx3, all the signs so far (it is still early days though) lean this title as another console release ported to pc.

Dave W
29th Dec 2007, 22:34
Unfortunately, I dont think we will see an SDK for dx3, all the signs so far (it is still early days though) lean this title as another console release ported to pc.

1.What signs?
2.It's co-development, not console and then a port to the PC
3.T:DS was developed in the same way with the same engine as IW, and that got an SDK.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
30th Dec 2007, 00:52
Lol for the real fans of Deus Ex: it's DX not DE ;)

LOL, well please accept my apologies. :o
My brain makes me use DE rather than DX. I write a lot, so I guess it is out of logical habit, maybe. :D
Besides, I haven't been on a DX forum since the first game, so I just forgot. :p

Doesn't make me not a 'real fan' really, does it? :eek:
LOL, I bet I even played the game before YOU did! :rasp:

But feel free to assassinate me if you think I deserve it...
...but only after I've tried the DE coffee because I do love freshly-ground coffee in my blood! ;)

:)

Harakiribert
30th Dec 2007, 01:22
But feel free to assassinate me if you think I deserve it...

I know a better punishment. I'll even give a choice.
You must either play through IW three times in a row or you mustn't include smilies in your posts for one week.:rasp:

mr_cyberpunk
30th Dec 2007, 08:20
Lol for the real fans of Deus Ex: it's DX not DE

What defines a real fan anyway? I could argue Modding.. and then a majority of you are ****ed.. but then I'm not an elitist prick :P

Further more the correct term for DX is DirectX.. DX1 is the proper term if we are talking specifics towards Deus Ex 1.. since there was never a DirectX1, it was just DirectX.. and furthermore that DX2 should be referred to as IWar. Since there was a DirectX2. Deus Ex 3.. I hope gets some kind of code name that we can call it by.

imported_van_HellSing
30th Dec 2007, 09:00
I wouldn't say modding defines a true fan, as modding requires talent. Personally, I tried making maps for Thief 2 and 3, but I just don't have the necessary spacial imagination, so usually I can make one, beautifully decorated room, but I can't for the life of me incorporate it into a larger location.

As for the acronyms, it's all about context, there are a lot of other acronyms that can have multiple meanings. For example, on a Splinter Cell board, SC is unlikely to mean StarCraft.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
30th Dec 2007, 11:12
You must either play through IW three times in a row or you mustn't include smilies in your posts for one week.:rasp:

Well, as you are not my original Executioner, I think I can politely ignore you.

Playing IW three times in a row (or any game for that matter) would waste a big portion of my life, so I'll decline. Thank you very much.

Please note... I have resisted the use of smilies (hmmm, VERY difficult....*goes to another thread to use a smiley*).

gamer0004
30th Dec 2007, 11:57

I played DX:IW three times (and just started a DX:IW no-item run). :whistle:

SageSavage
30th Dec 2007, 12:06
Some people enjoy torture, with and without items - y'know...

Lady_Of_The_Vine
30th Dec 2007, 12:07

Yeah, I played the original and DX:IW twice, but with a big time gap in between, hehe. :D

Harakiribert
30th Dec 2007, 12:30

My post wasn't meant to be taken serious. I think IW is a good game. That whole "playing IW is a punishment" thing was aimed at some comments on this forum on which you could get the impression that IW is the worst game ever made. :)

gamer0004
30th Dec 2007, 14:59
My post wasn't meant to be taken serious. I think IW is a good game. That whole "playing IW is a punishment" thing was aimed at some comments on this forum on which you could get the impression that IW is the worst game ever made. :)

Yeah lol I know. It isn't really bad, just not as good as DX1.

Kasjada
30th Dec 2007, 15:06
Back to topic ;)

I think fan missions would be a great feature. But the mission editor needs to be good, but not to difficult to use.

I agree that a SDK should be a "must have" for every game (or at least for every 3D shooter game), but publishers usually think that a SDK is just expensive and that it gives them no (financial) advantage. :(

Kneo24
30th Dec 2007, 19:35
but publishers usually think that a SDK is just expensive and that it gives them no (financial) advantage. :(

Which is silly for them to think that. A good modding community can attract more people to scene (more people buying the game). It's not like companies can't find ways to profit from mods as well, which some have done in the past. The ability to mod just builds a strong community support system, so really, it's pretty ******* stupid for publishers to think that an SDK leaves them without any sort of financial advantage.

minus0ne
30th Dec 2007, 19:58
If anything the HL games (and CS mods) have proven that modding can succesfully get/keep public interest in a game high and actually turn a sequel into a record-breaking success. Think about it, if Half-Life wasn't as easily modded then people would've probably forgot about it by now (or at least wouldn't still be playing it), hell perhaps there would not have been a sequel at all if it weren't for Counter-Strike.

I'd say it wouldn't just be a blow to to fans and gamers, but it'd be bad business not to make a DX3 SDK.

SageSavage
30th Dec 2007, 20:11
Just look at all the mods for DX1...
- http://offtopicproductions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1042

Kasjada
31st Dec 2007, 13:45
I don't expect that the marketing of a publisher thinks the same way as the fans do, but we have to wait and see how Eidos behaves. ;)

gamer0004
31st Dec 2007, 15:06
To be really honest (I think I can expect a tranq dart in my neck after I've posted this :P), being able to mod DX3 is not my first concern. I prefer a really great game like DX without mods than an average game with a lot of mods. I have played some DX mods. of course, but they are not nearly as impressive as the game. I'm still waiting for TNM and 2027 though. Maybe they'll turn out to be really good. I hope so...

SageSavage
31st Dec 2007, 15:43
Well, Maybe there haven't been many mods that came really close to the original but I deeply enjoyed RedSun and Zodiac which both stayed very close to the originals gameplay, imo.
I think TNM will be something very different from DX or the other mods and I am very keen on the mods that try to modernize DX1 (HDTP/NewVision/Reborn). The custom renderer and the UI fix were also great, very appreciated stuff.
I am with you when you say that a good game without mods is better than a mediocre game with good mods but I think DX1 is a great game and is featuring some cool mods! A thing to keep.

maddermadcat
31st Dec 2007, 17:40
Thief is without a doubt my favourite series ever, and a hell of a lot of fun to mod and make new missions for. Too bad I don't have enough time to finish up my own FMs, but one of these days I'll get back to them.

So, with that said, a mission editor is a must. :D

WildcatPhoenix
31st Dec 2007, 18:13
As a modder, I may be biased, but I think a functional SDK would greatly enhance the lifetime of the game and be a very appreciated nod to us DX geeks out there! Hell, by the time we finish "Man in Black," we might as well make it for Deus Ex 3 anyway! :D

http://mib.deusexgaming.com
http://www.moddb.com/mods/6841/deus-ex-man-in-black

-Wildcat

JakethePirate
31st Dec 2007, 20:12
The fact the there are several DX1 mods still in "active" development should be proof enough that an SDK is worthwhile.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
20th Jan 2008, 18:56
Cool to know the majority are all for this... now to get Eidos to comply! :cool:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
21st Jun 2008, 13:36
As an update on this discussion, I'm wondering if Eidos have given any consideration to the possibility of an SDK...

I hope so and, as others have suggested, it can only enhance the game in the long-term. :)

Blade_hunter
7th Jul 2008, 00:40
This fact makes DX 1 better than the second because the second can be expandable by this fan missions and the mods most games like HL, UT, and Q3 are always alive because they have a modding community and the developers have release their SDK.
This kind of thing can help the developers to see what is good and what isn't good, because when a "mod" have a success we can add some good features for the next games.
But when a mod haven't a success we can know why the mod isn't a success, like any game, some games have great ideas, great stuff, but when we play the game the idea don't work well, and sometimes the game will not a success.
The game Battlecruiser is one of those games.

I don't know if an easy to use level editor and some more complete editing tools, can be added, because DX can maybe becomes on of the rare RPG/FPS mix with an easy editor for basic stuff and missions for example.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
26th Jul 2008, 13:33
Yeah, well I guess we will just have to wait and see what will become of this possibility. :)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
18th Aug 2008, 07:46
How many members here have the expertise to make a fan mission if they wanted to?
Just curious... :)

gamer0004
18th Aug 2008, 11:22
Not many probably. The DX3 SDK will be completely different from the DX SDK...

DXeXodus
18th Aug 2008, 11:53
I don't mind learning the new software if it's not too tricky. i have tried my hand in level design quite a few times with games such as FARCRY. I am also fluent in 3Ds Max, so if the SDK has proper import/export functionality it would be a breeze to make my own models for the levels. It isn't however my primary area of expertise, being an architect and all. :) But I'm willing to learn.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
20th Aug 2008, 09:28
^
Cool. I was hoping that DX3 will bring about a greater and more active community; like that found for the Thief game. I can't praise the amazing mission creators enough.
Long live them all. :cool: