PDA

View Full Version : a responsibility to fans

NeoSpawn81
28th Dec 2007, 08:33
Deus Ex was the best game of all time in my opinion. Everything from its incredible multi-pathed storyline, to the leveling system, to the character interaction, to the level design (i could go on forever)was top notch. I understand the development teams desire to reach out to a broader fanbase with its sequel, as the marginal success of the original was disgustingly undeserved; but, as every fan of the original game will say, the unique feel of the game was lost when so much was stripped from Invisible War that it barely deserved the Deus Ex name in the title. It was a betrayal to the original fanbase, as Invisibe War became more or less just another fall-by-the-wayside action title that barely won any new fans to the series. I have played through the original about 5 or 6 times, and still enjoy the game; but I couldnt even bring myself to play throug Invisible War a second time. The game wasn't horrible, by any means; but the high bar set with the original was ignored and the series was almost buried because of it. I am extremely excited about the third instalment; but please, Eidos, PLEASE expand on the open, complex, interactive design of the first game; and learn from the mistakes of Invisible War. The Deus Ex series will never rise to games such as "Halo"'s standards (as far as money-making goes) and ,as such, the developers need to factor this out of the development process. They have an enormous responsibility, as the holders of one of the most beloved gaming franchises of all time (for those who have actually heard of and played the original), to the loyal fanbase of this series. So cheers to not screwing up again, and here's to looking forward to my new favorite game of all time; as I know I'll be in line on release day either way!

mr_cyberpunk
28th Dec 2007, 10:27
*sigh* there was a thread already opened for *****ing about IWar and going on about how great DX1 is. STOP STARTING NEW THREADS!

Also saying things like "Don't Screw this up" and "Make it better" doesn't help the team, if you've got any suggestions.. post them! since this early in development is when design documents can be changed.

Further more we don't need to know how good Deus Ex 1 was.. I think Eidos should know this since they did make millions of dollars from the sales :P

NeoSpawn81
31st Dec 2007, 14:50
Actually I did suggest what the team could do better (ex.: " the Deus Ex series will never rise to games such as "Halo"'s standards (as far as money-making goes) and ,as such, the developers need to factor this out of the development process") and if you spent more time reading a post and less time trying to figure out how to whine about them, then maybe you would get what it's author was talking about. Furthermore, the developers themselves know exactly what they changed and dubmed down with IW so listing everything when many,many others have done so already anyway would be pointless. So leave a usefull post in the future instead of complaining about the trite, and have a happy new year!

Unstoppable
2nd Jan 2008, 09:18
The reason why Invisible War was the way it was is the following. Bear with me now i'll try and do it as fast as possible.

1-Poor leadership of managing personnel. In one of the interviews with Gamespy Harvey Smith said himself paraphased the biggest issue was personnel. He does not know how to manage large groups of people.

2-Warren Spector handed over the reigns to Harvey, he should of stayed in control.

3-They hired a programmer (Ionstorm Austin) to build a renderer for 3d lights etc, he ended up building a whole game engine. It wasn't until halfway into the program they realized how limiting it was. (That's why you have small levels) The programmer ended up fired and Ionstorm Austin ended up with very limiting engine.

4- Despite all this they still did pull out a decent but dissapointing game. It was the engine's limitation that crippled the potential of the game. This all points back to the person in charge of the project. Harvey Smith.

5- Instead of building their own engine/renderer they should of just licensed one.

6- If you notice Deadly Shadows (Thief 3) Is much more polished and playable than Invisible War. It still has the engine's limitations but they are now better ready to work with the engine than with Invisible War.

Despite all that we have moved on. As fans we were hurt and dissapointed. Eidos Montreal is here now with new leadership and new developers who love the beloved franchise as much as we do.

All they need from us is the support we have given them in the past, and the word of mouth that will make the game a blockbuster.

Harakiribert
2nd Jan 2008, 10:46
3-They hired a programmer (Ionstorm Austin) to build a renderer for 3d lights etc, he ended up building a whole game engine. It wasn't until halfway into the program they realized how limiting it was. (That's why you have small levels) The programmer ended up fired and Ionstorm Austin ended up with very limiting engine.
Do you have a source for this?

4- [...] It was the engine's limitation that crippled the potential of the game. This all points back to the person in charge of the project. Harvey Smith.
In terms of level size I think the limitation was due to the technical abilities of the last gen consoles.

5- Instead of building their own engine/renderer they should of just licensed one.
They licensed the Unreal Engine 2 and modified it to their needs.

jordan_a
3rd Jan 2008, 01:38
The Deus Ex series will never rise to games such as "Halo"'s standards (as far as money-making goes) and ,as such, the developers need to factor this out of the development process.
Amen to that, one of the best sentence on the forum so far.

Dave W
3rd Jan 2008, 10:36
Harakiribert got most of it, IW/T: DS use a modified version (not rebuilt) version of Unreal Engine 2.

2-Warren Spector handed over the reigns to Harvey, he should of stayed in control.
Warren shared the view that Deus Ex needed streamlining. Read the Gamasutra postmortem and some of the IW interviews (]http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=53753).