PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical augs and social tension in the context of the DX Continuity Bible

imported_van_HellSing
23rd Dec 2007, 22:10
A large portion of the flashing image sequence of the teaser pertains to mechanical augmentation becoming common, and social disapproval of it. While the theme hasn't been explored much in the actual DX1 game, the Deus Ex Continuity Bible ( http://archive.gamespy.com/articles/april02/dxbible/dx1/ ) provides some interesting insight on the issue:

Work on nano-technology began in the early 2020's, and the Majestic 12 scientists assigned to the project (including Bob Page) had their work cut out for them. Mechanical augmentations were just starting to become widespread.

In addition to economic divisions, there are divisions among men based on augmentation. Specifically, the totally human of this world look down their noses at those who have been mechanically augmented.

Despite the effectiveness, and in some cases, the necessity of body modification, augmented humans are considered monsters. They look like primitive Borg and are widely feared by humans.

Mechanically augmented humans have their own airport security systems and have to register with government authorities. They are second-class citizens, looked down upon even by the non-augmented poor. There's no way a mechanically augmented human can pass for normal for very long. They're not allowed in certain locations and have separate facilities, ostensibly tailored to their unique needs but really as a way of controlling them.

So, contrary to some opinions I've seen here and there, this is not something Eidos Montreal pulled out of thin air. They've done their homework. :thumbsup:

StormFront
23rd Dec 2007, 22:26
A large portion of the flashing image sequence of the teaser pertains to mechanical augmentation becoming common, and social disapproval of it. While the theme hasn't been explored much in the actual DX1 game, the Deus Ex Continuity Bible ( http://archive.gamespy.com/articles/april02/dxbible/dx1/ ) provides some interesting insight on the issue:

So, contrary to some opinions I've seen here and there, this is not something Eidos Montreal pulled out of thin air. They've done their homework. :thumbsup:

I've not seen any posts implying that Montreal were making stuff up. In fact most posts have been quite the contrary. Everyone here acknowledges the development cycle of augs and that discrimination would have been rife. Sure there are a few misguided peeps who are adament that this is a prequel but even they are not arguing accuracy.

On what are you basing your odd comment?

imported_van_HellSing
23rd Dec 2007, 22:34
This is a prequel. :) I already stated the reasons why I think it is. Just look at the first quote I provided, about mech augs becoming common in the 2020's, and the 2027 Biopolitic Vote pic.

As for your question, I've seen quite a few people over at the Eidos Montreal board and TTLG not being sure if mechanical augs were widespread and if there were social problems because of it.

pKp
24th Dec 2007, 00:51
The events hinted in the trailer do not have to be the ones we'll be playing ; it could just as well be a flash-back.

But I think this discussion has already been done...

Dave W
24th Dec 2007, 01:41
This is a prequel. :) I already stated the reasons why I think it is. Just look at the first quote I provided, about mech augs becoming common in the 2020's, and the 2027 Biopolitic Vote pic.

That demonstrates nothing, especially since they removed it after everyone started saying "HEY GUYS, PREQUEL!".

Laputin Man
24th Dec 2007, 01:45
Did anyone else notice in IW the lack of any mechanically augmented people? I really can't say that I remember seeing even one mechanically augmented persons in IW and the game only took place 20 years after the original. Was there any kind of explanation in IW for this?

Anyways, if this is a prequel then they already have some of the foundation for the game set for them in the Deus Ex bible. Hopefully if they were to do a prequel they'd try and follow that some... as for the argument of whether or not this is a sequel or prequel, it is still early and it is hard to just go off of a teaser trailer. I wont lean one way or the other and either way I am just kind of glad that this franchise is getting some attention and still hope that this game... whatever it is, turns out to be great.

StormFront
24th Dec 2007, 07:11

As for your question, I've seen quite a few people over at the Eidos Montreal board and TTLG not being sure if mechanical augs were widespread and if there were social problems because of it.

Yeah... first up you do not KNOW it is a prequel so why the statement? Secondly I cannot see any reasons you have "stated": A few links to an article do not an argument make....

Deus Ex 3
24th Dec 2007, 11:01
I post this here too (cf phetus) regarding the possible link between J.C.Denton & the phetus.

I wrote this on my blog:deus-ex-3.blogspot.com (http://deus-ex-3.blogspot.com/)

« 2027... ?

From the Deus Ex 3 trailer, amoung other informations, two things might be source of future hypotheses. Firstly the biopolitic vote box with the year 2027 then the phoetus, the principal element of the video. Why is that ? Because, if we take into account the 2002 GameSpy feature, untitled DX1 Continuity Bible, and more exactly the Dentonian Timeline part here's what we know :

2018: Paul Denton born
2023: Paul, age 5, selected as test subject, cloned
2028: Tests on clones show limited success; Paul's mother impregnated with J.C.
2029: J.C. Denton born; scientists perfect embryonic incubator; additional clones grown over the next 15-20 years
2034: Experiments begin on second generation of clones (~age 5)
2035: Paul and J.C.'s parents killed by Majestic 12; J.C. sent to Swiss school
2036: Paul goes to four-year university
2040: Paul, age 22, joins UNATCO
2044: Common emotional centers in brain discovered (+/- 2 years)
2046: Work on Ambrosia project begins (?)
2047: J.C. graduates from Swiss school
2049: Last kinks are worked out of nano-augmentation
2050: Paul is offered nano-augmentation; procedure is successful; work stops on
clones; most clones destroyed
2051: J.C., age 22, joins UNATCO, trains, is offered nano-augmentation
2052: Nano-augmentation procedure is successful. (DEUS EX 1 BEGINNING)

Why the year 2027 ? Is it pure coincidence or could the phoetus really be the future J.C. Denton ? And so... »

Harakiribert
24th Dec 2007, 11:08
I post this here too (cf phetus) regarding the possible link between J.C.Denton & the phetus.

The fetus is mechanically augmented, however JC isn't.

StormFront
24th Dec 2007, 11:17
The fetus is mechanically augmented, however JC isn't.

People keep ssaying htat and it still makes no sense.

How could a FETUS be mechanically augmented? Mech Augs need to be put in once a human if fully grown; surely that is obvious?!

Harakiribert
24th Dec 2007, 11:32
People keep ssaying htat and it still makes no sense.

How could a FETUS be mechanically augmented? Mech Augs need to be put in once a human if fully grown; surely that is obvious?!

I'll try again: A possibly human fetus appears to be mechanically augmented, but could be a completely artificial body as well. The augmentations could also have grown by use of nanotech. That all rules out the possibility of the fetus (or whatever) being JC.

StormFront
24th Dec 2007, 11:38
I'll try again: A possibly human fetus appears to be mechanically augmented, but could be a completely artificial body as well. The augmentations could also have grown by use of nanotech. That all rules out the possibility of the fetus (or whatever) being JC.

Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly agree that the fetus is not JC, however the idea that it has mechanical augs is just odd. I admit that your answer of growing the mech augs using ntech is possible, but it is not even slightly logical. If you have Ntech, you use Ntech...

I don't think we can "rule out" that the fetus is JC. He was bred in a tank for a specific purpose so the ideas behind him being this "Emile" do make sense. However I think this is something else all together.

Harakiribert
24th Dec 2007, 22:38
What if it's actually not a fetus but an adult sized artificial body in a fetus position. The body could swim in some kind of biochemical solution for the purpose of growing human tissue on it. All that would be the result of the transhumanistic movement. The mind/soul of followers of that movement could be transfered into such an artificial body. The human tissue would hide their full body augmentation and thus they would get no resentments from the nonaugmented.