PDA

View Full Version : Why a fetus?

brambi
22nd Dec 2007, 13:45
I don't really understand why there is a fetus in the trailer...

Because it's a new game?
Someone overpowered get's born in DX3 ?
I can't figure it out though.

Harakiribert
22nd Dec 2007, 13:58
I don't really understand why there is a fetus in the trailer...

Because it's a new game?
Someone overpowered get's born in DX3 ?
I can't figure it out though.

The fetus is augmented, which is contrary to the first both DX games where the characters got their mechanical/nanotechnological augmentations after they were born. This could indicate a further improvement in the nanotech where the augmentations are implemented as the fetus grows.

brambi
22nd Dec 2007, 14:07
The fetus is augmented, which is contrary to the first both DX games where the characters got their mechanical/nanotechnological augmentations after they were born. This could indicate a further improvement in the nanotech where the augmentations are implemented as the fetus grows.

Hmm, so the augemented agents could live with the augmentations better?

Tyrant Worm
22nd Dec 2007, 15:56
Hmm, so the augemented agents could live with the augmentations better?

More like Wolverine being BORN with his adamantium skeleton and his claws, instead of having to wait for the army to give them to him!

brambi
22nd Dec 2007, 23:04
More like Wolverine being BORN with his adamantium skeleton and his claws, instead of having to wait for the army to give them to him!

What?

Wasn't Wolverine born a muntant with the ability of rapid cell regeneration?

Wich was the reason he survived the operation where they implented his claws and adamantium skeleton?

Newbie2356
22nd Dec 2007, 23:10
Lets not bring Xmen into it because Xmen and deus ex are entirely different stories.

Now back to the fetus, I thought it looked like a gray in the trailer with augmentations. just what i saw.:cool:

Tyrant Worm
23rd Dec 2007, 00:08
What?

Wasn't Wolverine born a muntant with the ability of rapid cell regeneration?

Wich was the reason he survived the operation where they implented his claws and adamantium skeleton?

Yes, but that was an upgrade right? an augmentation, if you will.

I was simply using an analogy to explain why they would've used a fetus. I am VERY aware that Deus Ex and XMen are two different things - please don't insult my intelligence.

Deus Ex 3
23rd Dec 2007, 00:14
I wrote this on my blog:deus-ex-3.blogspot.com (http://deus-ex-3.blogspot.com/)

« 2027... ?

From the Deus Ex 3 trailer, amoung other informations, two things might be source of future hypotheses. Firstly the biopolitic vote box with the year 2027 then the phoetus, the principal element of the video. Why is that ? Because, if we take into account the 2002 GameSpy feature, untitled DX1 Continuity Bible, and more exactly the Dentonian Timeline part here's what we know :

2018: Paul Denton born
2023: Paul, age 5, selected as test subject, cloned
2028: Tests on clones show limited success; Paul's mother impregnated with J.C.
2029: J.C. Denton born; scientists perfect embryonic incubator; additional clones grown over the next 15-20 years
2034: Experiments begin on second generation of clones (~age 5)
2035: Paul and J.C.'s parents killed by Majestic 12; J.C. sent to Swiss school
2036: Paul goes to four-year university
2040: Paul, age 22, joins UNATCO
2044: Common emotional centers in brain discovered (+/- 2 years)
2046: Work on Ambrosia project begins (?)
2047: J.C. graduates from Swiss school
2049: Last kinks are worked out of nano-augmentation
2050: Paul is offered nano-augmentation; procedure is successful; work stops on
clones; most clones destroyed
2051: J.C., age 22, joins UNATCO, trains, is offered nano-augmentation
2052: Nano-augmentation procedure is successful. (DEUS EX 1 BEGINNING)

Why the year 2027 ? Is it pure coincidence or could the phoetus really be the future J.C. Denton ? And so... »

StormFront
23rd Dec 2007, 00:25
Lets not bring Xmen into it because Xmen and deus ex are entirely different stories.

Now back to the fetus, I thought it looked like a gray in the trailer with augmentations. just what i saw.:cool:

You raise an intersting point which I had observed but not commented on. I've done some brief research into the development of a human fetus, specifically looking at the shapes the skull takes during its formation and the bottom line is that the fetus in the vid looks decidedly odd. Its jaw is very low down in its skull and the overall shape is somewhat... odd?

Hard to offer any decent conjecture, mind as there is still so much unknown.

FWIW, I am yet to be convinced that those are augs we are seeing. I admit we can see sockets and joints, but if you look, could they not be part of the "shell" that the fetus is in, not part of the fetus itself? Is the point of the video that we are to see that the fetus is manufactured more than it is augmented?

No idea personally, just some more ingredients for the speculative stew...

Newbie2356
23rd Dec 2007, 00:48
Yes, but that was an upgrade right? an augmentation, if you will.

I was simply using an analogy to explain why they would've used a fetus. I am VERY aware that Deus Ex and XMen are two different things - please don't insult my intelligence.

Sorry if i insulted your intelligence, I didn't mean to :)

Also About stormfronts thought that its not augmentations but its something else maybe it could be areas to inject drugs or modify the dna of the creature (gray or otherwise)

cudlla
23rd Dec 2007, 09:36
You raise an intersting point which I had observed but not commented on. I've done some brief research into the development of a human fetus, specifically looking at the shapes the skull takes during its formation and the bottom line is that the fetus in the vid looks decidedly odd. Its jaw is very low down in its skull and the overall shape is somewhat... odd?

It is not odd, every fetus lools like this (ofcourse, without augmentations). I have seen several real fetus at THE BODIES EXHIBITION. Every fetus in this stage of development looks like that.

BTW:I think that devs are giving us a taste of Deus Ex 3. In the trailer anlysis (see on youtube.com) you can see posters like: We do not welcome augmented people here, Augmented poeople enter from the back. There is even a box of prosthetic arm. I think that this give us a lot of informations about Deus Ex 3. It may be after DX1 and DX:IW. It is not hard to imagine: You have new arms augmentation, you will be happy about it. Soon your friends will be jealous and wont like you. And there there are more augmented people around you. This is just a begining of coruption of a society + all the puritans + templars. That is highly explosible mixture.

phlebas
23rd Dec 2007, 14:44
I'd say some of the things discussed at the board regarding plot development are right on track.

The fetus, as well as some of the things shown in the trailer (for those of you haven't seen the trailer analysis on youtube, I suggest you do) hint strongly at some issues surrounding transhumanism sentiments.

Maybe, the plot in DX3 will revolve strongly around concept and practices of artificial life?

Harakiribert
23rd Dec 2007, 19:02
The fetus, as well as some of the things shown in the trailer (for those of you haven't seen the trailer analysis on youtube, I suggest you do) hint strongly at some issues surrounding transhumanism sentiments.

Maybe, the plot in DX3 will revolve strongly around concept and practices of artificial life?

DX3 could include some philosophical ideas from Ghost in the Shell, i.e. What makes a human being human?; What is life?; transfer of the mind or ghost into an artificial body; AIs developing a consciousness and the aim to evolve; ...

Lady_Of_The_Vine
28th Dec 2007, 12:50
Why not a fetus? Seems like a good 'start', hehe... :cool:

A DNA-cloned Denton fetus/offspring would provide unlimited scenarios of the imagination, particularly in terms of physical and mental powers. :)

Yikes, I can't wait for this game! :thumbsup:

Harakiribert
28th Dec 2007, 12:59
Why not a fetus? Seems like a good 'start', hehe... :cool:

A DNA-cloned Denton fetus/offspring would provide unlimited scenarios of the imagination, particularly in terms of physical and mental powers. :)

Yikes, I can't wait for this game! :thumbsup:

Please not another Denton clone! That idea is used up.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
28th Dec 2007, 13:37
Please not another Denton clone! That idea is used up.

Yeah, I understand what you mean, generally. ;)

The idea may already be used... but there is no limit to our imagination...:p
An idea is just the "root", yeah? :cool:

Otherwise we may as well be discussing a completely different game and story, imo. :scratch:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
28th Dec 2007, 19:26
Back to general discussion, the name EMILE that appears on the fetus (together with serial code type numbers etc) would suggest the meaning "UNIQUE" from general internet research of the name.

So, perhaps not a Denton clone, but a unique creation. :cool:

Alex D
3rd Jan 2008, 19:12
WHy a fetus maybe because they wanted to put one in so that all of us DX freaks would cream our jeans over it and sit here for hours trying to dechiper a minutes and a half long trailer which was made to please our minds.

"Do whatever you want it's not my problem"

Zegano
10th Jan 2008, 03:37
I'm really wondering why no one else has pointed this out. The images in a trailer, especially one released so early, or any other media don't have to be literal. This fetus thing won't necessarily appear in any way in the game. Symbols can be easily interpreted in different ways, but I take it as the unborn child is the future generation, where all humans are augmented.

gamer0004
10th Jan 2008, 13:50
I'm really wondering why no one else has pointed this out. The images in a trailer, especially one released so early, or any other media don't have to be literal. This fetus thing won't necessarily appear in any way in the game. Symbols can be easily interpreted in different ways, but I take it as the unborn child is the future generation, where all humans are augmented.

The point is that the fetus is one of the more clear things; it doesn't look like some kind of a symbol...

JulianP
10th Jan 2008, 15:17
The point is that the fetus is one of the more clear things; it doesn't look like some kind of a symbol...
But then again, it is only a teaser. It doesn't necessarily have much at all to do with the actual game. It's purpose is just to peak our interest. Which it has. :p

Lady_Of_The_Vine
10th Jan 2008, 22:46
....but I take it as the unborn child is the future generation, where all humans are augmented.

Yeah, that's how I see it too.
Maybe not ALL humans but certainly heading that way. :)
It all makes sense really...nothing so far-fetched that it isn't believable.
If DX3 is based on this theory, I will definitely enjoy the ride! :cool:

In the future, surely humans will develop ways to have augmentations during fetus development. We already kind of do it now after birth with pacemakers, artificial limbs etc and you can even liken the theory to the 'designer baby' where we will be able to use genetic technology to modify embryos and choose intellectual or cosmetic characteristics and where the sex can be chosen etc.
It seems inevitable for us to make these choices possible in the future - if we want it. Or even if we don't want it, the 'Powers-That-Be' do it anyway. ;)

Today, we have to go to a hospital and have surgery. It's always a risk, that's why you have to sign on the dotted line before you have any operations, so that the hospital cannot be sued if you either die or suffer further disability from the operation. Medical Science is already developing "surgical nanobots" to perform surgery internally - moving towards more minimally invasive methods because it is less risky. Once we master this level, then we'll move on to using nanobots directly on a fetus.

Weird and scary, but the future is most definitely "Nano". :D

Zegano
14th Jan 2008, 00:20
I would normally agree that something as prominently displayed as this would be literal in some way, but to augment an unborn child as severely as this... the future is going to be seriously messed up. As I think someone stated before, augmentation to that point is impossible, because the child's augmentations couldn't grow with it. The only result would be unnecessary and severe pain and deformation for the child. This is a teaser trailer, they are only trying to get us excited.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
14th Jan 2008, 22:27
I would normally agree that something as prominently displayed as this would be literal in some way, but to augment an unborn child as severely as this... the future is going to be seriously messed up. As I think someone stated before, augmentation to that point is impossible, because the child's augmentations couldn't grow with it. The only result would be unnecessary and severe pain and deformation for the child. This is a teaser trailer, they are only trying to get us excited.

Are you serious? Where is your lack of imagination? :nut:
Didn't humanity once consider it implausible for a machine to fly, or to have a heart transplant, or for man to land on the moon (questionable conspiracy, that one) or to decode DNA?
I could go on.... :D

"All things are possible until they are proved impossible - even the impossible may only be so, as of now." - Pearl Sydenstricker Buck

Medical technology is advancing in great BIG leaps, I certainly believe that this would be possible in the future.
I'm not saying I would necessary revel in it but medical technology has its positive and negative sides, always. It helps us save and/or improve the quality of life... but it also means we can open previously closed doors of investigatation and experimentation; even beyond acceptable morality sometimes. It happens right now in laboratories.
Remember Dolly, the cloned sheep?...it's already started, my friend! :D

Anyway, the world is pretty messed up already - we just get immune to it. Shocking news today becomes just matter-of-fact tomorrow.

AaronJ
15th Jan 2008, 21:01
These are the only two possible answers:

1) A prologue. JC Denton was manufactured with the aug technology (he could have been grown from a baby), only not as crude as that in the trailer, indicating early augmentation.
2) The evolution of augmentation technology (or Omar technology. Now THERE is a fan pleaser).

Zegano
18th Jan 2008, 01:05
I know that it is possible to augment someone before birth, but I'm just saying that it can't be done that severely. Maybe my post was a little to closed minded but I really don't think that this trailer should be interpreted so literally. And as Missdenton said, popular opinion does not make a fact.

[Edit] It would take you kidnapping the developers and flying them down here to NZ and torturing the truth out of them in front of me to convince me to drop the idea of symbolism in this trailer.