PDA

View Full Version : Style of music choice for Tomb Raider Underworld?

Tigerman68
19th Dec 2007, 19:15
If you had your choice for the style of music in Tomb Raider Underworld, which one would you choose?

1) Classic Sound - Only classical orchestra scores (older TR's)
2) Techno/Electronica Sound - Legend
3) Hard Rock - What was used in the TR movies
4) None of the above - Something all together different (If so, then what?)

LegendLost
19th Dec 2007, 20:40
Um not exactly sure Legend was Techno, it was more of Gaelic ish. But anyway, as far as the soundtrack is concerned. I want a Legend style theme with a bit of a darker tone. A little more scary/ dark, but stayng close to what legend had a to offer.

Also, as a must. I would love to have the original theme built into the song somewhere. Just about every Tomb Raider had that one distinct tone in the song, but Legends didn't have that, and neither did any song in that game.

William Croft
19th Dec 2007, 20:53
I think the Legend one was brilliant so i would loved to see that in the new TR... *day-dreams at the sight of the new TR :rasp:*

Treeble
19th Dec 2007, 20:59
Groovy Legend for me.

Tomb-Dude
19th Dec 2007, 20:59
I don't know i like to have to silence in the tomb where you can here the mechanices working and slight noises but i also like the music when there is a fight. The one in Legend i really do like but i also liked anniversary... It's a hard desicion................

LisaB1962
19th Dec 2007, 21:16
Music should only be used to elevate tension or create atmosphere. The constant soundtrack of Legend was one of its problems.

Verios
19th Dec 2007, 23:35
Legends music when it's appropriate (EX: A big gun fight vs baddies) and then Anniversary style music when appropriate (exploring tombs, etc.. for the first time and what not) is what I'd prefer.

RaiderGirl#1
19th Dec 2007, 23:59
Well I think it's hard to really say since it looks to me that TRU is going to be quite different than both Legend and Anniversary.
It seems that TRU is going to be a bit more dark of a story, or at least mysterious- somewhat like the England level in Legend. It is not the quite the same and I think that they will have to make something different for TRU. I'm sure that they will do a great job!

rabid metro
20th Dec 2007, 04:40
... I would love to have the original theme built into the song somewhere. Just about every Tomb Raider had that one distinct tone in the song, but Legends didn't have that, and neither did any song in that game...

Music should only be used to elevate tension or create atmosphere. The constant soundtrack of Legend was one of its problems.

Interview with 2006 BAFTA award winning, Tomb Raider: Legend composer Troels Folmann (http://www.music4games.net/Features_Display.aspx?id=114)
Another interview with Folmann indicating lessons learned from scoring Legend (http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?publicUserId=5856192&bId=8113200)
TRA Developer Diary #2 vignette (Folmann) (http://www.ifilm.com/video/2922726/collection/20491)
(British Academy of Film and Television Arts)

my choice: CD is playing a hot hand ... let it ride (i'll follow their lead. i'm going with a proven winner.) :cool:

RUGRLN
20th Dec 2007, 05:10
Legend's theme! No doubt about it! It was wicked, and I loved the opening titles. Especially the opening cutscene for Bolivia [first level], it looked realistic and it seemed like I was watching a movie. The best part was, I first got it [the demo] the day I got some great speakers and subwoofer, so it sounded amazing! The sound was just amazing in the game!!:thumbsup:

Mertz523
20th Dec 2007, 06:46
I guess I'm one of a few who absolutely adored the continuous music in Tomb Raider: Legend. It gave it a cinematic quality to it. I love film scores. ;)

And LegendLost, there were hints of the original TR theme in various parts of the score to Legend. There were even themes and instruments incorporated in the score that were used in the two films.

I, for one, am hoping for some awesome music that is reminiscent to Legend. A new, darker Legend opening theme with a nod to the original theme would be great! But if Troels Folmann is doing the music again we will get a score that is nothing short of amazing. :cool:

Bring it on! :nut:

zakker
20th Dec 2007, 07:18
I think the Legend one was brilliant so i would loved to see that in the new TR... *day-dreams at the sight of the new TR :rasp:*

the only good thing about TRL is the intro music only:(

naraku
20th Dec 2007, 08:20
Something that echoes back. During cut scenes Underworld evolution comes to mind.;)

Shaidester
20th Dec 2007, 22:42
A mixture of both themes of Anniversary and Legend would suit my desires. Both games had a nice quality in their tone of music.

ditom
21st Dec 2007, 07:32
Legend music is great or exploring but when Lara starts fighting they should add hard rock music or techno

Jezyk
21st Dec 2007, 08:39
Legend's music was great! I like to go to the menu/Peru bike ride/Nepal just to listen to the music. Manor's theme was also nice. The music from other levels (if there was any) I don't even remember.
Anniversary's soundtrack was also nice but to me there was too little music, and grand part of it were variations of the classic theme.

Phlip
21st Dec 2007, 10:12
Classic opera-like orchestra scores. :)

Tigerman68
21st Dec 2007, 18:18
Legend music is great or exploring but when Lara starts fighting they should add hard rock music or techno

I'm with ya there, ditom. I think it would be really cool for a cutscene to feature hard rock as in the movies just before she faces a level boss. Imagine the camera angle showing nothing but her boots, then panning upwards slowly to the tune of a heavy metal chorus of thrashing guitars and rapid drum fire. Then she pulls her 9mm's, takes aim, and...well...you know how the story always goes. ;)

Dwoody
21st Dec 2007, 18:21
I alway's care for the good old rock and roll.

ditom
21st Dec 2007, 18:29
I'm with ya there, ditom. I think it would be really cool for a cutscene to feature hard rock as in the movies just before she faces a level boss. Imagine the camera angle showing nothing but her boots, then panning upwards slowly to the tune of a heavy metal chorus of thrashing guitars and rapid drum fire. Then she pulls her 9mm's, takes aim, and...well...you know how the story always goes. ;)

Yes I know how story goes :D
Heavy metal is good for fights like this you whrote about :thumbsup:

Nikko
22nd Dec 2007, 14:10
Classic, of course, I love the TR I theme, and the Techno style for the action sequences. Just imagine the TR Underworld soundtrack played by the London London Symphony Orchestra... :D