PDA

View Full Version : Multiplayer

RÆPËR
17th Dec 2007, 00:38
Do you think DX 3 should include a multiplayer?

I do, but I don't want the emphasis to be on multiplayer (like the unreals). I would rather have most of the work be done on the singleplayer aspect, and then kind of "starter maps" for multiplayer. Including an SDK like the first one wouldn't hurt either. Then the DX3 community can make their own multiplayer levels, mods, etc.

WhatsHisFace
17th Dec 2007, 03:09
Do you think DX 3 should include a multiplayer?

I do, but I don't want the emphasis to be on multiplayer (like the unreals). I would rather have most of the work be done on the singleplayer aspect, and then kind of "starter maps" for multiplayer. Including an SDK like the first one wouldn't hurt either. Then the DX3 community can make their own multiplayer levels, mods, etc.
Just release Project Snowblind with it in an "Orange Box" like deal, I say. ;)

pKp
18th Dec 2007, 17:17
SDK => good.

Multi in DX is fun, but it shouldn't be the main focus IMHO. I mean, we're talking about a part-RPG game.

Unless they decide to make it a MMO :D

Tyrant Worm
18th Dec 2007, 18:24
I believe that before any even mentions the word "multiplayer" at Eidos, they need to concentrate on the single player game. First and foremost. However, that being said, if they were to include a multiplayer aspect, I would like to suggest something along the lines of Call of Duty 4. You start out as a basic agent with basic abilities. By the time you have become fully leveled up, you're granted access to all of your augs, increased weapons ability, hacking ability, increased sneaking ability, etc. Think of the possibilities that could arise with a deep leveling system that retains some of the core RPG-FPS gameplay!

SageSavage
18th Dec 2007, 19:21
I believe that before any even mentions the word "multiplayer" at Eidos, they need to concentrate on the single player game. First and foremost. However, that being said, if they were to include a multiplayer aspect, I would like to suggest something along the lines of Call of Duty 4. You start out as a basic agent with basic abilities. By the time you have become fully leveled up, you're granted access to all of your augs, increased weapons ability, hacking ability, increased sneaking ability, etc. Think of the possibilities that could arise with a deep leveling system that retains some of the core RPG-FPS gameplay!...quoted for truth!

Tyrant Worm
21st Dec 2007, 17:05
It looks like nobody really cares about multiplayer! I'll take that as an excellent sign :D :D

D-BLOCK
21st Dec 2007, 18:24
Theirs a lot of people that cares about multiplayer. They just don't know about this topic or not registered on these forums. Deus Ex was one of the best and first multiplayer game I ever played. Games now that has multiplayer doesn't even compete with Deus Ex in my opinion. Their still alot of people that play DXMP and clans are still around. I do think they should focus on single player first but also believe they should add a multiplayer with a SDK.

Topics About Multiplayer
http://www.dxalpha.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11506
http://www.forum.deusex3.com/eidosforum/eidos/viewThread.jsp?thread=8&forum=4
http://www.forum.deusex3.com/eidosforum/eidos/viewThread.jsp?forum=4&thread=221

Theirs probably more but I don't know about it. :scratch:

Harakiribert
21st Dec 2007, 21:11
SDK => good.

Multi in DX is fun, but it shouldn't be the main focus IMHO. I mean, we're talking about a part-RPG game.

Unless they decide to make it a MMO :D

I agree, I think Deus Ex is mainly a singleplayer experience. But they should implement a decent netcode, a simple Deathmatch mode, release a SDK and leave the rest to the modding community.

D-BLOCK
21st Dec 2007, 22:50
They would have to release more than a deathmatch mode. Most Deus Ex Codders never used the new engine. Their use to the Unreal Engine. Going to take them awhile to figure out how to do things on the Tomb Raider engine.:whistle:

Tyrant Worm
21st Dec 2007, 23:04
Theirs a lot of people that cares about multiplayer. They just don't know about this topic or not registered on these forums. Deus Ex was one of the best and first multiplayer game I ever played. Games now that has multiplayer doesn't even compete with Deus Ex in my opinion. Their still alot of people that play DXMP and clans are still around. I do think they should focus on single player first but also believe they should add a multiplayer with a SDK.

Topics About Multiplayer
http://www.dxalpha.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11506
http://www.forum.deusex3.com/eidosforum/eidos/viewThread.jsp?thread=8&forum=4
http://www.forum.deusex3.com/eidosforum/eidos/viewThread.jsp?forum=4&thread=221

Theirs probably more but I don't know about it. :scratch:

I see there are quite a few people that still care. I've never gotten into DXMP myself, but would like the option. I would've looked further around the Montreal site, but those forums are HORRIBLE:mad2:

D-BLOCK
22nd Dec 2007, 03:01
Yeah Im glad they decided to make this forum the original one.:)

Icarus AI
22nd Dec 2007, 09:38
Don't really care. Sure it would be cool, but only as long as the main focus is on the singleplayer.

Newbie2356
23rd Dec 2007, 01:51
As said in the first post that they should just make a few starter maps and let the community do the rest
I agree with that so that eidos can focus on the single player and once they have finished and the game is released they could create an official in game map downloader for both single player and multiplayer maps to be downloaded (official and player made maps available for download), so that you could play a single player map while downloading the map without slowing the game down

What do you think eidos?

RÆPËR
25th Dec 2007, 04:29
That is EXACTLY what I was talking about.

khris
7th Jan 2008, 08:03
Usually, Eidos Interactive (IO & Crystal) is giving us Singleplayer experiences... Eidos-Montreal is a new Studio, with a new crew on a fresh n' cool project. If we take a look at Bioshock, it could work well to keep the focus on a Singleplayer Game.

But Deus Ex 3 could probably be the best Multiplayer Game, but they would arlready be 80 on the Singleplayer. It could be risked to on a Multiplayer part of the game... DX 3 will probably be really complexed.

But if this is the case, I think we could help.... but without the actual Game Design Document it could be pretty hard to achieve lol, but I'd love to be on it.

Or just keep the Multiplayer for a DX4, but I know it would be long to wait again for another DX lol.

Or maybe... another new IP? ^^:whistle:

Unstoppable
7th Jan 2008, 08:25
If it does not sacrifice the single player experience then i'm all for it. The multiplayer i'd really like is online co-op. It would said Deus Ex 3 apart from the crowd of FPS games. Deus Ex 3 will be looked as by many of those that don't know the franchise as an FPS game.

Besides that have a few maps online with team death match could be fun. Then release the SDK and let the community do the rest.

khris
7th Jan 2008, 08:57
I must say this... I I hope that someone from Eidos-Montreal could read it.

I know... that DX 3 should be only Singleplayer. I feel it...
But out there, there are a lot, really a lot gamers waiting for a fresh and new Multiplayer Experience. And... I truly believe that DX 3 or another Eidos-Montreal Game could create an awesome Multiplayer Game as well as a Singleplayer game.

In 2007, and even more in 2009, Multiplayer Games will be even more popular. Just take a look at how many people are playing Halo 3 and CoD4, so much people are playing Multiplayer games. Plus, Multplayer content is extending the life of the game. We can play hours, days and months to a great multiplayer game, but not necessary to a SinglePlayer game.

"We spend 80$ on a game, both of these games are great, but this one has a multiplayer... I'll take this one then."

If we take a look at Gears of War, the multiplayer was completely simple. Team teams + survival [one life, no respawn] + control the power weapons (like Halo 2?). Oh don't copy the "control the weapons" because it's not even a good concept lol, but a multiplayer mode could be a "must".

This is a personal choice...

khris
7th Jan 2008, 08:59
If it does not sacrifice the single player experience then i'm all for it. The multiplayer i'd really like is online co-op. It would said Deus Ex 3 apart from the crowd of FPS games. Deus Ex 3 will be looked as by many of those that don't know the franchise as an FPS game.

Besides that have a few maps online with team death match could be fun. Then release the SDK and let the community do the rest.

This is also a smart option for PC, but what about 360 and PS3? It takes programmers to create the tools (extra time here again) and all the stuff. Plus, it's the Crystal Dynamics Engine, I don't think that we could be able to get the SDK.

Kneo24
7th Jan 2008, 19:50
I think there was another thread about multiplayer, but I'll post this here as well.

If there's going to be multiplayer, do not use Punkbuster. It's a borken piece of poo-poo that seems to give the end user more hassle than it should (incorrect detections is the biggest problem), and not only that, as a "detection" utility for cheats, it just doesn't catch them.

That is all.

primer
8th Jan 2008, 01:27
I feel that for multi player having still played and even now going on it, there's a lot of people just messing about not playing the game properly of if you win against the host they just shut down there server because of being just angry.

What I think should happen for that Eidos host the servers and people join in a positive manner and play co-op or team or one for all.

It does not matter what the game is there will still be that problem, and half the people here do not even play it. Or I never remember there names so maybe that would not be the main game play element.:mad2:

GundamXXX
8th Jan 2008, 09:08
First of all Mr Poster dont confuse Unreal with Unreal Tournament. 2 diffrent games ;p

And no they shouldnt have mp support. Why?
Whats the use? DX isnt a FPS or an RPG. Is doesnt really allow co-op stuff or 'missions' as such.
Better question is

If there was going to be a mp mode wht should it be like?

EDIT: Also, please I beg of you all dont suggest MMO...please..I beg you ;p

RÆPËR
14th Jan 2008, 20:04
Yeah a MMO would be a slap in the face for DX. The modders could create their own MMO style game like they did for DX. And who said there was no sdk for the crystal dynamics engine?

http://www.devmaster.net/engines/engine_details.php?id=33

SomaMech
15th Jan 2008, 05:04
Multiplayer for a DX game should be either a post-release project, or fan-made.

AaronJ
15th Jan 2008, 20:56
Well if Eidos wants Deus Ex 3 to have:

1) A Deus Ex 3 community that doesn't consist of just tech support and walkthroughs
2) Added success of the game
3) Happy fans

Then multiplayer will be included.

SomaMech
15th Jan 2008, 22:02
Well if Eidos wants Deus Ex 3 to have:

1) A Deus Ex 3 community that doesn't consist of just tech support and walkthroughs
2) Added success of the game
3) Happy fans

Then multiplayer will be included.

I don't disagree.... But there is no doubt in the slightest that single-player should have absolute priority over multiplayer. Agree? :cool:

jordan_a
15th Jan 2008, 22:30
I want the all crew on the single player campaign, please!!! An add-on would be good for a multiplayer mode.

AaronJ
16th Jan 2008, 01:43
That's obvious. If their focus was not single-player, the first thing they'd say about the game was "multiplayer-based". Also, I'm quite certain Project: Snowblind didn't do well. Remember, Deus Ex: Clan Wars...

Slack
16th Jan 2008, 15:11
Please... put multiplayer and SDK with DX3 like DX1, the unnoficial maps of DX1 are just amazing and good to play at net, please developers, with SDK, playing Deus Ex 3 in the net will be much more exciting!

ThatDeadDude
16th Jan 2008, 20:10
The big potential problem with MP is the new Tomb Raider engine. DX was built on the UT engine, so all they really had to do to get multiplayer going was build up a new shell around it. However, seeing as I don't really foresee there ever being multiplayer Tomb Raider, I can't see why Crystal Dynamics would have built any net capable systems into their engine. Whilst it's always possible for Eidos Montreal to build their own code, getting an efficient and stable MP system running in what is primarily going to be a singleplayer game could easily take too much time and effort.

I do however add my voice to the appeal for an SDK.

matches81
16th Jan 2008, 20:39
Yeah a MMO would be a slap in the face for DX. The modders could create their own MMO style game like they did for DX. And who said there was no sdk for the crystal dynamics engine?

http://www.devmaster.net/engines/engine_details.php?id=33

Uhm, I'd say that is not the Crystal Dynamics engine.
a) It's a "a free cross-platform software development kit for realtime 3D graphics, in particular games" and I highly doubt that the Crystal Dynamics engine would be free.
b) On the official "Crystal Space" site (http://www.crystalspace3d.org/main/Main_Page) there is no mention of Crystal Dynamics in any way. The only team mentioned is the "Crystal Space Team".
c) None of the Tomb Raider games are mentioned in their media section.

That said, I hope, that if they do include multiplayer, they just supply the basics (stable netcode, a basic deathmatch and perhaps team deathmatch).
The SDK should be released whether there is multiplayer or not, but with a basic multiplayer and a SDK the modders could develop more sophisticated multiplayer modes. The DX3 team should definitely focus on single-player.
If the netcode takes too much time, just leave multiplayer out, please.

khris
17th Jan 2008, 04:17
Uhm, I'd say that is not the Crystal Dynamics engine.
a) It's a "a free cross-platform software development kit for realtime 3D graphics, in particular games" and I highly doubt that the Crystal Dynamics engine would be free.
b) On the official "Crystal Space" site (http://www.crystalspace3d.org/main/Main_Page) there is no mention of Crystal Dynamics in any way. The only team mentioned is the "Crystal Space Team".
c) None of the Tomb Raider games are mentioned in their media section.

That said, I hope, that if they do include multiplayer, they just supply the basics (stable netcode, a basic deathmatch and perhaps team deathmatch).
The SDK should be released whether there is multiplayer or not, but with a basic multiplayer and a SDK the modders could develop more sophisticated multiplayer modes. The DX3 team should definitely focus on single-player.
If the netcode takes too much time, just leave multiplayer out, please.

They are really using the Crystal Dynamics Engine. <

khris
17th Jan 2008, 04:18
The big potential problem with MP is the new Tomb Raider engine. DX was built on the UT engine, so all they really had to do to get multiplayer going was build up a new shell around it. However, seeing as I don't really foresee there ever being multiplayer Tomb Raider, I can't see why Crystal Dynamics would have built any net capable systems into their engine. Whilst it's always possible for Eidos Montreal to build their own code, getting an efficient and stable MP system running in what is primarily going to be a singleplayer game could easily take too much time and effort.

I do however add my voice to the appeal for an SDK.

Who really knows what it is capable of, maybe you are working for them?:nut:

matches81
17th Jan 2008, 10:36
They are really using the Crystal Dynamics Engine. <
Yeah, I never doubted that. I just wanted to point out that the engine RÆPËR was referring to is not the Crystal Dynamics engine, probably.

RÆPËR
17th Jan 2008, 17:25
hmm, I think with crystal being in the name through me off. Doing more research it looks like crystal space is its own engine entirely.

AaronJ
17th Jan 2008, 20:29
My conclusion is simple. It would suck if DX3 had no multiplayer.

Newbie2356
18th Jan 2008, 03:48
I have an idea, why not release the multiplayer addon (it must be an addon, it just must) as a commercial upgrade at first and sell it for $10 with the sdk included, and also at the same time release a free multiplayer addon without the sdk

Necros
19th Jan 2008, 06:59
I don't care about MP in Deus Ex. I don't even see how it fits into the game, it just doesn't make sense to me. DX is not about killing each other for fun. ****

Of course if the devs actually take the time and come up with some smart game modes, it would be fine, though I think I'd rather stick with the SP mode anyway. :) But if this should happen, I hope they won't start working on this until 2009 Q3 or something, so by that time the most important thing, the SP is done. And the MP mode can be released a bit later too, perhaps for some extra money.
So in short, I agree with those who say the SP must come first and if they have some spare time, put together an MP too. :)

G.A.Pster
28th Jan 2008, 01:07
Personally I could care less about multiplayer, I say they should invest all of their time and resources in a good single player game and just leave out MP (like Bioshock).

AaronJ
31st Jan 2008, 18:43
The value of a third DX would sink if there was no multiplayer. They'd be showing us that they do not care about the community by leaving us in the dark with the first DXMP, which would go down in popularity even if DX3 had no multiplayer.

It. Needs. Multiplayer. That's it.

Angel/0A
31st Jan 2008, 22:19
It looks like nobody really cares about multiplayer! I'll take that as an excellent sign :D :D

DX:IW didn't have multiplayer either, and look what happened with it. :P

Like others have said, I'd like multiplayer, but it should be the developers' primary focus to have a solid single-player game before it's even considered.

payne
1st Feb 2008, 04:35
i will write in french because i am. If you don't understand have fun to translate it (like the way i do for the english)

Ce serait une bonne idée de faire un multiplayer avec un univers ouvert comme dans second life ou le playstation store.

On pourrait crée son profil en choisissant son sexe, son visage (avec la photo comme dans pes 2008) et ses vetements. Il pourrait y avoir des magasins ou on pourrait acheter des armes et plein d'autres trucs.

On pourrait aussi travailler pour des societes privees ou des organisations (unatco illuminati triades pour se faire de l'argent).

On reprendrait les lieux du mode solo plus des cartes inedites.
On pourrait tchater avec les autres en ligne et creer ses propres organisations pour dominer une ville ou meme le monde!

So, what do you think about it ?

BTW: Mc Cain sucks and vive la France!!!;)

gamer0004
1st Feb 2008, 18:25
Can somebody please kill him? :P
Why can't French people speak any other language than their own?
And why do they say "vive la France"? They can't excactely be proud of their country....

RÆPËR
1st Feb 2008, 18:55
Well this is what he said:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

It would be a good idea of making a multiplayer with an opened world as in second life or the playstation blind.

They could create his contour by choosing its sex, the face (with the photograph as in pes on 2008) and his vetements. There could be stores or they could buy weapon and full of other knack.

They could also work for societes privees or of organizations (unatco illuminati triads to make some silver).

They would take back the places of solo mode

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Also, watch what you say about the French. DX3 is being created in Montreal, which is the largest French speaking city in North America.

gamer0004
1st Feb 2008, 21:29
I know. I think Mr. D'Astous is personally going to make sure I will not get DX3 :P But there is nothing wrong with French speaking people (though I don't really like the language, but I've only heard it the way French people speak). I just don't like French. I know I'm discriminating, and I don't like people who discriminate people, so I hate myself in some way :scratch: . Anyway, I don't like the ego of French people. France is just one of many countries and there is nothing special. They are not more heroïc than other people (even thouhg they try - with succes! - to give people the impression they are. With all their talk about the French resistance during WW2). But they pretend to be, and that really annoys me. Well, of course not ALL French think they are better than others. But because you never hear them everybody gets the wrong impression.

-------------------------------------------

Just ignore me, I'm stupid.

RedFeather1975
2nd Feb 2008, 03:01
Gamer, you can blame Conan O'brien for the hatred. :lmao:
Nah, I'm sure it runs further back then 2004.

VodunLoas
2nd Feb 2008, 05:56
My first online gaming experience was Deus Ex Multiplayer, and I loved it! I started DXMP in 2001, and still play it to today. Hell, it was very addictive. Before I started DXMP, I was heavily into webdesign and was learning php coding. Once I started DXMP, I cut down on my webdesign, and completely stopped learning PHP. Last year I starting learning php coding again. I have a site dedicated to help DX fans to find clan, mod, and fan sites, which has been up for about 3 years. I would so love to have multiplayer for Deus Ex 3 and MANY others that I actually know from the Deus Ex community would also. Please, just give it a thought Eidos Montreal. Of course, make Single player the best it can be, because that's the reason I bought the first game in the first place! But, leave some thought on a multiplayer, even if you have to make it into a patch later on like Deus Ex did. Thanks for all your work Eidos, and I hope Deus Ex 3 turns out really GREAT!! :D

Zegano
2nd Feb 2008, 08:07
If they do include multiplayer then I'd LOVE for shadows in which you could hide and ambush your opponents. But emphasis should always be on single player. I mean, single player is what made DX multiplayer so great. It was at its core a generic deathmatch, but when you add features like augs, skills and lockpicks from the single player then even the most generic game mode became hugely more original and fun than most others.

gamer0004
2nd Feb 2008, 09:56
Camper :P
Anyway, I'd love to see CTF in DX multiplayer.

payne
2nd Feb 2008, 16:59
so, what do you think about the idea? (asecond life MP style)

tanonx
3rd Feb 2008, 19:50
Second Life MP style would be just like MMO style. That is, a very bad idea. Deus Ex, while an RPG, is objective-based, not a huge sandbox game like most MMOs and western RPGS.

What I'd like to see is cooperative play. No huge overhaul of the plot, just whatever changes you need to keep two players without loosing too much immersion (the occasional handwave or two, doesn't need to hold up to scrutiny). Maybe add a few more difficult AI levels to play on for it. After all, DX has been a game with multiple approaches to every problem, having a buddy to co-op with would fit fairly well with the style. Plus, this would open up the door for co-op mods that could inspire future mode changes and possibly reinstate the joy that is co-op RPG, assuming that when they say they plan to revive franchises, they intend to keep them going.

Just an idea, but one I'd love.

Draco1979
3rd Feb 2008, 20:45
My two cents. I think it would be kewl to have multi player in DX3. It would increase the sales of it and the life span. Far as the IW I think the game still would of sucked if there MP but I still like it. I think Edios should host the servers for being rank and make the MP game like EA did for battle field, so people can play in squads or on the same team but with out punk buster. Also as you move up the rank better Augs you can get and weapons too. With that being say I think they need to keep in mind that during single player mode should be easy to cheat like the first one..... I like being on GOD MODE. So maybe two sets of ini files one for SP mode and one for MP mode.

AaronJ
4th Feb 2008, 18:14
I think we can confirm ourselves that there will not be multiplayer. They're leaving us in the dark.

tanonx
4th Feb 2008, 18:18
...No, really, how do we reach that kind of conclusion?

AaronJ
4th Feb 2008, 18:19
Tomb Raider: Legend engine, lack of faith, the interview in which they mention replayability, etc.

jordan_a
4th Feb 2008, 18:20
It's a good thing there won't be any MP. It means they'll focus on the solo campaign. MP with an add on yes, but not in the first time.

jd10013
4th Feb 2008, 18:24
waaaay to early to speculate on multiplayer. even if it ships without, we could get it in a patch.

tanonx
4th Feb 2008, 18:24
TRL engine also seems to be the Project Snowblind engine. Which has multiplayer, yes? Also, replayability being mentioned isn't exactly unusual, DX has a nice big crowd of reveiws about how they're still finding new things on their umpteenth playthrough. Also, I'd imagine there was a lession learned when DX1 had no MP to ship.

Jxb1a
4th Feb 2008, 18:52
A Cooperative Multiplayer mode where you have a squad of peeps, take on special missions requiring different skills and stuff would be cool.

Draco1979
4th Feb 2008, 22:36
A Cooperative Multiplayer mode where you have a squad of peeps, take on special missions requiring different skills and stuff would be cool.

one of them skills can be that you can heal people.

tanonx
4th Feb 2008, 22:51
Well, I could handle that well enough, so long as modding the SP storyline into coop mode wouldn't be too hard. But really, squad-based coop is pretty thick in the FPS world.

Draco1979
5th Feb 2008, 20:44
Well, I could handle that well enough, so long as modding the SP storyline into coop mode wouldn't be too hard. But really, squad-based coop is pretty thick in the FPS world.

Battle Field 2124 is all I need to say for squad-base coop

jordan_a
6th Feb 2008, 21:15
I don't like the ego of French people. France is just one of many countries and there is nothing special.If i might have a word...
http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/6782/0764570609kr7.jpg

AaronJ
6th Feb 2008, 21:47
Also, I'd imagine there was a lession learned when DX1 had no MP to ship.

Not many people seem to understand that Eidos has a hard time learning lessons.

payne
6th Feb 2008, 22:07
i don't like the ego of American people. USA is just one of many other countries and there is nothing special.

PS: god bless america!

jordan_a
6th Feb 2008, 22:33
Come on guys focus on the current subject.

AaronJ
6th Feb 2008, 23:36
Ignore payne, his posts are useless.

gamer0004
8th Feb 2008, 14:17
i don't like the ego of American people. USA is just one of many other countries and there is nothing special.

PS: god bless america!

I'm not American. I'm Dutch (you know, thew small country North of France, we love cheese and liquorice candy. Windmills, tullips, clogs. But not all Dutch people like cheese, and it's not like you see windmills and tullips everywhere. We do have a lot of bicycles though).
I don't like Bush' attitude, and I don't like it that in the USA everything is big and extravagent. And I don't like that they've invaded Iraq.

I hope Obama wins :)

"As a finishing touch, God created the Dutch" :D

Now let's continue the (multiplayer) discussion.

RÆPËR
20th Feb 2008, 02:35
It has been 11 days, and still no response. Way to get us back on track :)

gamer0004
20th Feb 2008, 13:45
Not my fault :nut:

Obama is winning btw

pauldenton
20th Feb 2008, 14:32
personally i couldnt care less about multi player.

my only interest is in the quality of the single player game.

Blade_hunter
20th Feb 2008, 18:25
The sigle player is the most important part yes, but the multiplayer can have these game mods.

Cooperative (the single player campaign with more players)
Deathmatch
Team Deathmatch
Assassin (a game mode like the cat and the mouse !)
A sort of assault mode (some bases to conquer and capture ennemy bases)

All of these game mods have some DX features, nothig very original but it can enjoy the DX community if these mods are good enough :)

Angel/0A
20th Feb 2008, 20:48
The sigle player is the most important part yes, but the multiplayer can have these game mods.

Cooperative (the single player campaign with more players)
Deathmatch
Team Deathmatch
Assassin (a game mode like the cat and the mouse !)
A sort of assault mode (some bases to conquer and capture ennemy bases)

All of these game mods have some DX features, nothig very original but it can enjoy the DX community if these mods are good enough :)

Cooperative would be incredibly awesome, even if it were the only multiplayer for the game they implemented.

Otherwise, I'd also append CTF to that list, CTF for DXMP would have been great. I remember there was a mod for it way back, but it didn't really catch on.

pistolpete_1980
21st Feb 2008, 08:55
If you want multiplayer, play doom..

Focus on making this the best single player experience ever.

Lo Bruto
21st Feb 2008, 14:17
If you want multiplayer, play doom..

Focus on making this the best single player experience ever.

Hell yeah. Hundreds of games to be played in the web, some of them specially focused in Multiplayer... :nut: What do you want? A CoD4 5 hours single player?
The fact is when it comes for Deus Ex... MP is nothing.

Don't mess with Deus Ex. ****

Angel/0A
21st Feb 2008, 15:08
Hell yeah. Hundreds of games to be played in the web, some of them specially focused in Multiplayer... :nut: What do you want? A CoD4 5 hours single player?
The fact is when it comes for Deus Ex... MP is nothing.

Don't mess with Deus Ex. ****

Yea, I guess the multiplayer patch for Deus Ex never existed, huh? :rolleyes:

Lo Bruto
21st Feb 2008, 15:37
Yea, I guess the multiplayer patch for Deus Ex never existed, huh? :rolleyes:

A later patch like in DX1 is welcome. Tough it never interested me, cause DX is all about the Single Player, that's what I meant... people don't buy DX because of it's "Freakin' Awesome Fast Paced Deathmatches over the Web" :o

~ÈÐü[ß]~
21st Feb 2008, 18:10
Deus ex 1 had the best multiplayer i ever played in my life. The game has been out for how long now and people still play it. I think it was very stupid to not include multiplayer in 2 or 3 if there isnt one. The only reason i bought deus ex 1 was cause it had multiplayer. I havent even played deus ex 2 cause it doesnt have one. Not everyone that plays dues ex plays because of the single player. I think it would be stupid not to make multiplayer in deus ex 3.

I have givin u proof that you would sell more copies of the game if you made it multiplayer as well. The level of stragety and tactics were amazing in deus ex 1. You would have to have played advanced team death match to know where im coming from. If deus ex isnt multiplayer then it will just be another game i have never played. Singler player gets boring after u beat it once or twice. Ive been playing deus ex 1 multiplayer for 7 yrs.

Please make it multiplayer too.

Blade_hunter
21st Feb 2008, 18:38
The single player must be th most important part, but have a multiplayer with some DX features and some modes is the best thing :)

Lo Bruto
21st Feb 2008, 19:08
~;732446']The only reason i bought deus ex 1 was cause it had multiplayer.

~;732446']Singler player gets boring after u beat it once or twice.

What you talkin about? I ran thru the Single Player dozens times...
But if you compare your experiences in SP and MP and prefer the MP, there's only one thing to say... you're not a DX fan, you're a DX's modified Unreal engine fan.

I see by you nick that you're a part of a clan and a bunch of you guys think the same... I read in some clans boards that there are people who actually never finished DX and only play the MP...

Nothing I can criticize about this, but I repeat one more time... It's all about the Single Player in Deus Ex.

v.dog
21st Feb 2008, 19:21
Tomb Raider: Legend engine...Last time I checked they were using the new Underworld engine.

Anyway, here's my two cents on the issue. I love the idea of multiplayer, especially co-op, but not at the expense of the SP game. If they can do both 100%, great. If not, the SP experience must come first.

As for the suggestion we just play Doom; wouldn't you rather have an MP game that used brains as well as brawn?

Angel/0A
22nd Feb 2008, 00:01
Anyway, here's my two cents on the issue. I love the idea of multiplayer, especially co-op, but not at the expense of the SP game. If they can do both 100%, great. If not, the SP experience must come first.

As for the suggestion we just play Doom; wouldn't you rather have an MP game that used brains as well as brawn?

Yar matey.

D-BLOCK
22nd Feb 2008, 08:28
But if you compare your experiences in SP and MP and prefer the MP, there's only one thing to say... you're not a DX fan, you're a DX's modified Unreal engine fan.

I see by you nick that you're a part of a clan and a bunch of you guys think the same... I read in some clans boards that there are people who actually never finished DX and only play the MP...

Nothing I can criticize about this, but I repeat one more time... It's all about the Single Player in Deus Ex.
Your probably one of those players that got pwned in mp and didn't take the time to try to get better. Most of us MP players did finish the sp. Deus Ex 3 with no mp would get boring. Nobody wants to play Sp all the time. :whistle:

Lo Bruto
22nd Feb 2008, 16:46
Your probably one of those players that got pwned in mp and didn't take the time to try to get better. Most of us MP players did finish the sp. Deus Ex 3 with no mp would get boring. Nobody wants to play Sp all the time. :whistle:

Oh yeah, I suck at multiplayer and my life is worsening because of this. :nut:
I don't give a damn about MP. My DX actually is not Updated with the MP patch nor the GOTY edition. I never played the DX mp because I don't mind competing with others over Gaming skills in the Internet. This is my point of view.

And there are people who want to Play the SP all the time. This is DX, the SP is what gave the game it's fame! And if you think no-mp games are boring... it's your point of view.

I just think there's no Need to discuss AI, story, settings and other things if you're focusing in going to play with other people (except for the Cooperative mode)

~ÈÐü[ß]~
22nd Feb 2008, 17:08

I didnt say not to have single player im just pointing out the facts that multiplayer should be just as important cause there is people that like to play multiplayer just as much as single player. If you guys dont have multiplayer when the game first comes out atleast release it later on. I cant tell you one thing for sure, if you guys were to make deus ex 2 multiplayer right now i know you would see atleast a 100000 more copies of the game being bought. I also know that every person that played deus ex 1 multiplayer didnt go buy deus ex 2 cause there wasnt multiplayer. I think the editors should have spent more time paying attention to the multiplayer side of deus ex seeing how it turned out. If you pay attention to the new multiplayer games that are out you will see that they all are nothing but run in a circle and shoot people. Deus ex 1 was the only game that wasnt like the rest. Every person that has played deus ex 1 will tell you the same thing i am telling you. It was the best multiplayer game of all time. I can tell that the editors of deus ex didnt notice this or deus ex 2 would have had multiplayer as well.

~ÈÐü[ß]~
22nd Feb 2008, 18:06
I don't give a damn about MP.

Then why are you even making posts in this topic?

I never played the DX mp because I don't mind competing with others over Gaming skills in the Internet.

I also dont only play for this reason. I have meet about 50 new people from all over the world that i wouldnt even know if it wasnt for Multiplayer. I talk to about 20 of them everyday. 10 of them are in my clan [B]. Its nice to be able to play a game with 10 other people you consider your friends. It takes away that "alone" feeling you might get when you play single player. Also, everytime you beat the single player mode you get the same ending. When i play just one match in mp its different everytime, even know its the same maps usually. People also have been making new maps to play on so that takes away the same 5 maps.

But if you compare your experiences in SP and MP and prefer the MP, there's only one thing to say... you're not a DX fan.

LoL at this guy. Im not a dues ex fan? Did we buy 2 different games or something? The Only difference between single player and multiplayer is one has a story line and AI. Both versions have the the same people but not all of them, All of the weapons are the same, augs, textures, and skills you can upgrade just like sp.

What you talkin about? I ran thru the Single Player dozens times

Wow, that must have goten really boring. Im surprised your still alive after that. I would have killed myself over bordem.

~[ß]Síke~
22nd Feb 2008, 18:58
I'm a huge fan of both DXSP and DXMP :) I completed the SP game more than 10 times but I still love DXMP too. It takes very long time to get any decent at DXMP ATDM and that's what makes the DXMP experience best! You need so much strategy, knowledge of maps, good aim etc. to be actually good at it. In other games it's just run around and shoot everything that moves without involving any strategy. It's really rewarding after you master DXMP and start owning other players.

I'd love to see MP in DX3 too but first make a great singleplayer game :)

Lo Bruto
22nd Feb 2008, 20:03
~;732677'] I also dont only play for this reason. I have meet about 50 new people from all over the world that i wouldnt even know if it wasnt for Multiplayer. I talk to about 20 of them everyday. 10 of them are in my clan [B]. Its nice to be able to play a game with 10 other people you consider your friends. It takes away that "alone" feeling you might get when you play single player.

Cool, you see MP as a friend-making machine... and I admire you...

S*ke~;732684'] It's really rewarding after you master DXMP and start owning other players.

But this is what I'm talkin about. If you feel pleasure in "owning" other players over the Internet, right... I can't say a thing about this because I'm not you.
That's just not for me. :nut:

~;732677']LoL at this guy. Im not a dues ex fan? Did we buy 2 different games or something? The Only difference between single player and multiplayer is one has a story line and AI. Both versions have the the same people but not all of them, All of the weapons are the same, augs, textures, and skills you can upgrade just like sp.

No. There's a difference. If a guy choose to play using Walton Simons skin and you kill him using a pistol with you über gaming skills... it is the same as when you kill Walton Simons back in Area 51 with a pistol too? No, it's not. Because MP do not have a story, unless you guys roleplay while playing.
And I repeat. If you still think it's the same... you like the Engine, not the DX story.

~;732677']Wow, that must have goten really boring. Im surprised your still alive after that. I would have killed myself over bordem.

The part of the story, yes... because I know the outcoming nonetheless the Game is still pretty fun... you know, everything different at each run thru. Plus, DX got the incredible power of always giving me some new stuff, because even if you are über at MP, you can't get everything the game has in 1 or 2 runs.

Finishing, I do not dislike you MP guys. I just think that DX must be a SP-focused experience. When the game is released, right, they create a patch and solve the problem of "boredom" you think the game creates after you beat it. :thumbsup:

VodunLoas
23rd Feb 2008, 10:33
Don't hate on SP guys, you wouldn't have your beloved mp without it. I love them both.

[NK]~Valgothy~
23rd Feb 2008, 10:46
i really don't hate the sp side of dx. i started out playing dxsp, and after i completed it twice i was looking for a new experience and i found dxmp. this game has an awsome community and it's just a ******* good game to play mp-wise (it has zero augs, btdm and atdm, everything you'd ever want). i really think dx3 should have a mp as well (yeah yeah focus on the sp) so the community will thrive again. i mean: dxmp has been played for six or seven years non stop, that has to count for something. no game would be played that long if it weren't for the mp.
so i say: DXMP and KILL THE GAS ON RTK SERVER (sorry for spamming)

jordan_a
23rd Feb 2008, 12:40
Guys there's one thing you have to take into account, It seems obvious to me that an MP mode would require a huge amount of time, effort thus money. It would also disembodied the team.

This is the reason why I firmly think the MP should be developped for an add on.
80 guys on the solo campaign for the time being.

gamer0004
23rd Feb 2008, 12:50
~;732677']
Wow, that must have goten really boring. Im surprised your still alive after that. I would have killed myself over bordem.

I played it at least 12 times too. And it doesn't get boring.
I played DXMP, but I like CoD better ;)

Jima B
23rd Feb 2008, 20:22
~Valgothy~;732840'] DXMP and KILL THE GAS ON RTK SERVER (sorry for spamming)
No xD
Its my server damn you, and everyone loves gass :mad2:
So it stays, for now. :rasp:

Anyways... Yeah; It Needs an MP to keep me playing :(
otherwise its gonna be one of those games that i buy, complete a few times, and trade-in...
DXMP is the only game I've stuck with for the last 3 years, id love to see a new one.

Kaidan
23rd Feb 2008, 20:51
I feel that for multi player having still played and even now going on it, there's a lot of people just messing about not playing the game properly of if you win against the host they just shut down there server because of being just angry.

That's interesting, if you're refering to Deus Ex 1 DXMP I've never encountered that, and I'm currently helping run 3 24/7 servers on it..

As for Online - It's a nice thought, but if it became another community just filled with flamming 11 year olds then I wouldn't want to play it personally. Agreed SP should be the main priority. Then again must remember DXMP was a patch not even released with the official DX1 game.

Cooperative would be incredibly awesome, even if it were the only multiplayer for the game they implemented.

Otherwise, I'd also append CTF to that list, CTF for DXMP would have been great. I remember there was a mod for it way back, but it didn't really catch on.

CTF didnt' catch on because it isn't compatable with MTL - The main GameType servers run on, that prevents bugs etc.

Jima B
23rd Feb 2008, 22:22

Funnily enough, i host a fairly popular server on DXMP (RTKM&XPS)
I dont close it down, its up 24 hours a day... And the person helping me fund it, along with myself, has never left simply because he is losing.

Do me a favour; what server have you been playing on? Ive not seen one like that in over a year...

Angel/0A
24th Feb 2008, 00:24
Agreed SP should be the main priority. Then again must remember DXMP was a patch not even released with the official DX1 game.
Since the development team is comprised of fans of the game I'm sure it will be. Just saying I could live with another multiplayer patch... ;)

CTF didnt' catch on because it isn't compatable with MTL - The main GameType servers run on, that prevents bugs etc.
Yea and it's a shame, CTF would be a nice objective-oriented gametype.

Aww, that's the one with no augs enabled. :(

RÆPËR
24th Feb 2008, 00:41
I dont close it down, its up 24 hours a day... And the person helping me fund it, along with myself, has never left simply because he is losing.

Do me a favour; what server have you been playing on? Ive not seen one like that in over a year...

Aww, that's the one with no augs enabled. :(

It's cuz their a bunch of noobs. Kind of like the people sike was referring to when he said he "owned" people. They were noobs too :)

Frog
24th Feb 2008, 16:28
Nah, this game does not need multiplayer. Instead after finishing this game they could do another Project Snowblind for offline/online multiplayer. That was basically meant to be Deus Ex: Clan Wars anyway. Maybe DX will do well and they can just call a new installment of Project Snowblind Deus Ex: Clan Wars like they wanted. I think they changed the name to Project Snowblind because of the huge backlash against Invisible War. Which was probably wise.

RÆPËR
26th Feb 2008, 00:13
Too bad snowblind is no where near as good as dxmp.

payne
27th Feb 2008, 21:48
think about it you guys:

the number of people connecting on the internet have increase massively since the dx1 mp mode in 2001 and many people all around the world are playing in mmo/mmog/mmorpg amateur or commercial (10 millions for wow).

so, if eidos don't want to miss the "thing", they have to think about it.

minus0ne
28th Feb 2008, 01:19
think about it you guys:

the number of people connecting on the internet have increase massively since the dx1 mp mode in 2001 and many people all around the world are playing in mmo/mmog/mmorpg amateur or commercial (10 millions for wow).

so, if eidos don't want to miss the "thing", they have to think about it.
Are you then proclaiming single player gaming to be 'dead'? If so, that's a load of bull. I want them to focus on the single player aspect as much as possible, as DX is primarily known for its awesome SP campaign. They can include a rudimentary MP and bundle it with an SDK so modders can make their own MP games, and possibly release a free/cheap online patch later on (like DX).

The fact that Blizzard has hit the jackpot in creating "Heroine Online" for a particular audience doesn't diminish from the popularity of single player gaming. If anything, it's on the rise, with tons of devs trying all sorts of new ways to tell a story and engage the player (Mass Effect, Portal, Sam & Max 'sequels', BioShock even).

DXeXodus
28th Feb 2008, 04:30
A game that is a great example is FEAR. The devs focussed on creating a solid single player experience and once they completed that they made awesome multiplayer for it too. I just share the same opinion as those who believe that Eidos have enough on their plate trying to dig Deus Ex out of the mud and thus need to make a good SP campaign first. I'm akk for a good multiplayer element too, as I'm a fan of both single and multiplayer gaming. But I wouldnt want to play the multiplayer version of a bad game... especially if its a DX game cos that would just make me sad if it turned out bad, again.

In terms of gameplay for MP, I think it would be cool to have an assault gametype. Kind of like an attack/defend game mode. Those always make for great game sessions.

RÆPËR
28th Feb 2008, 04:45
All of these modes mention for multiplayer remind me so much of Unreal Tournament. What made/makes DXMP so great is the ATDM. It is original and there is no other game like that in the multiplayer realm of gaming. If DX3 includes a multiplayer, it needs to be just as unique and original as the first one. Capture the flag, onslaught, etc would be only be fun if augs were incorporated. If they weren't, it would be like playing Unreal Tournament.

payne
28th Feb 2008, 12:47
Are you then proclaiming single player gaming to be 'dead'? If so, that's a load of bull. I want them to focus on the single player aspect as much as possible, as DX is primarily known for its awesome SP campaign. They can include a rudimentary MP and bundle it with an SDK so modders can make their own MP games, and possibly release a free/cheap online patch later on (like DX).

The fact that Blizzard has hit the jackpot in creating "Heroine Online" for a particular audience doesn't diminish from the popularity of single player gaming. If anything, it's on the rise, with tons of devs trying all sorts of new ways to tell a story and engage the player (Mass Effect, Portal, Sam & Max 'sequels', BioShock even).

i didn't say that the SP mode not to be consider: in fact it's the key point. Propose a huge single mode with the story line and the hd graphics and develop a revolutionary MP mode that will increase the interest of gamers, improve the sells and have more incomes (if they proposed some ads for the companies and some commercial stuffs for the player if the buyers accept)

~[RTK]arkian~
7th Mar 2008, 08:04
Yeah,

DX3 has GOT TO HAVE A MP for SURE. Because DX2 wasn't as good as DX1 without the MP..I say DX3 should get an MP..this meaning the game is better..and is like DX1. I hope DX3 will get MP :D

IcarusIsLookingForYou
7th Mar 2008, 16:43
The singleplayer experience should be paramount on Eidos's priorities list if DX3 is going to make up for IW's sins. If they have enough time to create a deep MP experience, that's all well and good, but it just isn't feasible these days. If the devs do include MP, which they most likely will because most recent games have some kind of MP component, it will probably feel tacked on and shallow. But I'm a pessimist, so here's hoping whatever we get is top shelf.

Edx
7th Mar 2008, 21:03
~;732677'] The Only difference between single player and multiplayer is one has a story line and AI. Both versions have the the same people but not all of them, All of the weapons are the same, augs, textures, and skills you can upgrade just like sp.

First I'd like to say I play Multiplayer games. I loved Unreal Tournament 1 and Unreal Tournament 2004 and I also played a lot of HL multiplayer. But Deus Ex Multiplayer sucked ass. The game wasnt make for that kind of deathmatch play. I appreciate that some of you have come up with some tactics that you apparently find fun enough to keep playing, but the fact is its not just single player with less people and no storyline. DX is about stealth, not all guns blazing HL/UT style. Its the complete opposite to HL or UT deathmatch play. There is no way you can even get a feel for the game just by playing DX multiplayer. When I tried playing multiplayer it wasnt the game I had loved, its just lots of JC Dentons fighting it out deathmatch in some random map. Thats not DX and it doesnt feel like DX. Its just easy for them to tack this thing onto the singleplayer game with bare minimum of work, which is fine for a small free addon but crap otherwise. DX without multiplayer, oh what a tragady that would have been. The multiplayer is shallow, its nothing, its irrelevant. The fact that DX1 has it and DX2 didnt means nothing and if DX3 doesnt have it, big deal, especially if its as crappy as DX1s.

If they make a DX3 multiplayer they need to make it a lot better than that, but I think single player is the most important thing. And if you only really like the multiplayer, you dont really like DX because the multiplayer doesnt feel at all like it.

Ed

mouse
8th Mar 2008, 09:24
Why should they do a MP part anyway? There're so many really great MP games which focus on that aspect so there's no need for a half-baked multiplayer extension of a singleplayer game.

Edx
8th Mar 2008, 10:04
Why should they do a MP part anyway? There're so many really great MP games which focus on that aspect so there's no need for a half-baked multiplayer extension of a singleplayer game.

Exactly! :D

Mand'alor The Unholy
23rd Mar 2008, 23:34
First of all, I firmly believe that Eidos should focus on the single-player portion of the game first. No if's, and's or but's. But I would love to see them add multiplayer in later and it would absolutely have to include co-op for online AND LAN! I know all you people probably have cable and all that so you will whine about how it will take longer to create a LAN version as well, but you seem to forget that not everyone has cable or DSL. In some places, for example where I live, the bastard internet companies that offer DSL and cable lay the lines for it right on down the highway and they bypass my neighborhood altogether and every year they say, "We'll have it to your area next year." Mmhmm. They told me that in 2003. So please, for god's sake don't forget about us poor bastards who don't get decent internet. And yeah, multiplayer for DX3 would be awesome, if focused on last. The mod community could come up with great levels for the game by themselves if given an SDK and it wouldn't tax Eidos too much I think. As for co-op, the maps you are using are the same damn maps as in single-player, all you need to do is allow two or more people to join those maps to make it co-op. With the engine they use I may have made it sound easier than it really is, but I don't think it would be that much harder either.

belldandy
1st Apr 2008, 02:11
Yep! Definetely have the MP but focus on the SP. As many others have already stated.

IceBallz
1st Apr 2008, 05:42
Why not just jump over whole multiplay in game and go for a expansion to game instead. There you will find some whole new maps and maps from the singleplay game. Just set the price to this expansion to the half of the singlegame price. It even don't matter if it takes like a half year when multiplay expansion comes to Deus Ex 3, if only the singleplay part is good enuff. There could even be new content to singleplay game in expansion, but be called for multiplay expansion anyhow. :)

Like a collectors expansion.

RebelX
1st Apr 2008, 23:32
I would like a multiplayer feature. The makers just need to focus on the single player aspect and then multiplayer. They should take note of Call of Duty 4's multiplayer format and do something similar.

Vasarto
2nd Apr 2008, 21:30
Yes and it should be free online multiplayer.

With either a VS or War mode AND Downloadable and secret missions that can use the game's actual story and have a Co-Op mode where players can team up in pairs of 2-4 and do hard complex stealth or combat missions together.

HouseOfPain
1st May 2008, 19:52
Just release Project Snowblind with it in an "Orange Box" like deal, I say. ;)

If there is multiplayer, it should be released this way. Kudos, Whatshisface:cool:

jcp28
2nd May 2008, 23:39
Multiplayer would be great, but it would have to be saved for an expansion which I expect to be downloadable, since DX3 won't exactly be a best seller, even if Eidos makes a good profit of it.

As for kinds of multiplayer, please don't do anything too cheesy. Co-Op would most definitely be cool, but I don't think it could be made to fit in with the overall storyline. I also like the sound of War. Or how 'bout some kind of obstacle-course mode, where players show off how fast they can get through multiple obstacles like spider-bots, radiation pools and so forth in addition to using infiltration to get from place to place. At the end, the player who completes all the challened or gets to the endpoints wins. I'm not sure exactly how this could be implemented, but it would obviously have to flow together and be mildly entertaining enough to provide a decent diversion. I think I would like the Team vesion of this to be great.

CthulhuSaves
26th May 2008, 14:13
The game company that finally has the balls to make a true multiplayer game, --and I'm not talking about crappy deathmatch and combat maps--, will rule the freakin' gaming world. It's been promised over and over again by multiple FPS games/companies, and they always cop out later and drop it completely (oh, but they've just gotta add deathmatch for the triggerhappy morons with checkbooks!).

Yes, the *experience* should be like a single player game, but with the simple ability to share it with someone else. It's not all that hard.

Heck, System Shock 2 did it, albeit not perfectly, with a quick patch. There's a guy right now who decided to try and make use of the abandoned MP code in Thief 2, and he's got it working fairly well so far (see TTLG forums for progress on that), and the most topical example would be the fan who tweaked a few things in DX1 so that he was able to host each mission as multiplayer, allowing people to actually play the core game together. Wish to God I knew what happened to that project. I got curious and went into a running game once, and it was neat watching several people play-out the storyline in the distance. :)

Anyway, I, for one, will probably not buy DX3 if it's just another rehash that doesn't open new doors for coop play. Been a Thief & Deus Ex fanatic (hardcore, too) for over ten years, and I didn't even bother to buy T3 or DX2 after I found out they'd dropped coop capability.

Spiffmeister
27th Aug 2008, 06:39
If DX3's muliplayer is pretty much the same as DX1's they can't go wrong, having said that, anything new thats good is welcome. :p

Jerion
28th Aug 2008, 01:19
I said it before and I'll say it again. Multiplayer is a nice aspect, but DX is primarily a single-player experience. So make the single-player have a multiplayer option. In three words:

Cooperative Campaign Play.

This is where DX3 could really shine, and set itself out form the rest of the crowd. In DX1, the characters throughout the story had an immense variety of responses and behaviors depending on how you played through various situations. Now, take that to a whole new level. Throw in Co-op play into what would otherwise be a single-player system, and everything, right down to the last word, sale prices, and soldier behavior, adapts to fit it. Characters automatically adjust their conversation and actions to include and interact with additional players, to such an extent that anything players not present during the conversation do could affect things in the middle of a conversation. DX3 could open up a whole new world of possibilities by making the storyline capable of dealing with the actions and opinions of multiple players. Not mmorgypoo scale, but maybe just on the level of two or three players that want to play through the story together over a LAN. Don't do it the cheap way, where NPCs just acknowledge the first player and ignore the others, but really make the AI be able to adjust on-the-fly to having multiple players present. Or not present: Imagine getting briefed by Manderly only to have him interrupt the briefing to push an intercom on his desk telling Player 3 to stay out of the Women's restroom.

Sorry if this is kinda confusing, but it all came to me in about 0.5 seconds so I'm in a rush to say it before I forget it.

It's just that DX3 needs to stand out from the crowd, and this is where it could really shine. I mean, extensive interactivity with the environment is one thing, but extensive interactivity between multiple players and the environment is a whole lot better.

APostLife
2nd Sep 2008, 08:11
Multiplayer is in a high demand to be back in. I totally agree that the DX series are mainly single player focused but it still needs to have multiplayer to make it more worth while.

E.g. In DX the campaign was good and long and after you finished it, you can either replay it or play multiplayer. But DX:IW was opposition I tell you, you can only play campaign - especially when it was so short, and when you have finished, there is only campaign to play over and over and over and over again until to the fact you quit. See what i mean?

Conclusion - Multiplayer in DX3 at least be in, probably simple matches - death team match, search and destroy etc.

Romeo
2nd Sep 2008, 16:33
Ok, here's my idea, you all sit down and love it to be heard now:

First things first, players can buy weapons, mods, augs and what-have-you using a points system. This way, it better replicates the single-player experience. Levelling up could also be done, with higher-level opponents garnering much more XP.

I suggest a basic five modes:

Deathmatch - Comes in both free-for-all and team-based flavors. You could also make it one life only, to give stealthy players an opportunity to use their talents. Kills are worth 10 points each, and in limited life matches, 30 points each.

CTF - Dual flags (Standard), One Flag (Offence/Defense) and Neutral Flag (All teams rush to middle in an attempt to return the flag to their base). Once again, lives could be limited to spur inspiration to not die. 2 points per kill, 5 points for getting the flag and 25 for returning it to base. Also, 5 for killing an enemy flag-carrier and 10 for returning your flag.

Denton - Dr Dodgeball (The leader of each team can allow his teammates to spawn, but once he's killed, all remaining players are on their last life) and Assassination (Everyone has just one life, but if your leader's killed, it's game over). 5 per kill in Dodgeball, 15 per kill in Assassination, and the leaders always worth 30.

Omar - One player starts out as an Omar, everybody else as a normal person. The Omar needs to kill in order to get people to go to his side. If he kills everyone on the other team, he wins. If they survive a certain time, they win. 5 points for killing an Omar, 20 points for killing a human. A bonus 5 points for being last man standing, 10 points for the Omars when the last human dies, 15 points for the humans if they're alive by the time limit.

Skirmish - Each team has an adjective, be it defending something, destroying something, getting somewhere, activating something - whatever. The way to win is by completing your objective, and as a result, denying your opposition the chance to complete theirs. Everyone only gets one life, in an effort to promote teamwork. 15 points per kill, 15 for being the player to complete the objective and a bonus of 10 to the players on the winning team.

Voltaire
3rd Sep 2008, 15:15
Romeo, your bold plan to save a DXMP format is excellent, but I would prefer a system where you could choose at the start of a session whether you wanted to play in a career mode type set-up (gaining XP and all that jazz), or some instant action, which would be my preferred approach... just to be able to dip into it every now and then.

Romeo
3rd Sep 2008, 19:18
Of course you would, as almost every game I've seen (especially on Xbox Live) seems to offer choices between hosting (fairly self-explanatory) Quick Matches (Say the basic way you want to play and it will find a good match for you) and Custom Matches (Nitpick through all the details and it will find the results that match your exact terms). That way, when you want to play something specific (Say, single-life, Neutral Flag CTF), you can search for that specific style. But if you just want to have a quick match of fun you could simply open up a Quick Match of CTF, or what-have-you.

dr_niz
9th Nov 2008, 20:26
Dev should focus on SP gameplay only. Throw the dev tools on the DVD and allow the community to build the multiplayer Counter Strike style.

spm1138
9th Nov 2008, 21:52
I'm buying this for the SP.

I'd prefer most / all of the dev time went there tbh.

This isn't a "We'll put a good MP mode in so the hours of gameplay will come from the community" kind of game.

If it were possible to do both I certainly wouldn't be a against a DX-ey MP game but not at the expense of the SP game.

And at that point having said that I have to wonder if a quick afterthought of a MP mode is worth including.

If there's an SDK it'd obviously be a bit more viable but with this being Crystal Dynamic's engine and not UE3 I'm a tad dubious about us getting one.

Jerion
9th Nov 2008, 23:39
I think the way to do it would be to first release a solid single player game, and then down the road ship a solid multiplayer component. :)

spm1138
9th Nov 2008, 23:53
The problem with that is funding development of the MP component.

Buying the game on the shelf pays for the original development and the developer may or may not feel obligated to fix any glaring errors but coding major expansions may be another matter altogether.

Depends how nice and how flush Eidos are I guess. Another publisher who's name rhymes with You Be Soft would never pay for such an expansion on PC in a month of sundays.

It could work over steam as a cheap expansion I suppose.

Laokin
10th Nov 2008, 08:18
Wow, just wow. Not one mention of Dystopia.....

Well, Let me introduce you to how the DX multiplayer should be. The game was heavily inspired by DX in terms of augmentations and setting. There are no RPG specific points to spend since it is MP competition, the Aiming is like DX3... soley dependent on your mousing capabilities. They have cloaking Aug, they have a move silently aug, they have a sonar aug that allows you to see sounds through walls. ( you see little circles for foot prints bigger circles for gun fire, exactly where they are. ) They have a Thermal vission mod so you can see invisible people. They have super speed which doubles as super jump just like DX. It's just all through the whole design. I can see decent capture the flag modes.. or assault style maps with nodes that have to be hacked.

Also like DX3, Dystopia includes a hacking minigame. Although it's not RTS like DX3's it's a lot like TRON. Over all though... very similar to Deus Ex, and has a wonderful gameplay experience that I would be more than happy with. (Just like to see it represent the DX style to the T... with the DX augs... Maybe custom Mp only augs too.)

The other thing that would be cool is if it was like Call of Duty. Perks = Augs. Obviously balanced... with nearly the full set instead of just 2. They can have the same style weapon unlock system aswell, and give you the weapon mods in the same fashion as CoD. Forcing you to level up with the weapons in which you want to mod... being rewarded weapon mods for levels.

Dystopia is a Half-Life 2 mod that is of course free of charge to all Source Engine owners.

You can check it out at http://www.dystopia-game.com/

http://www.gamershell.com/static/screenshots/8917/187407_full.jpg

You can see it even has the Dragon Tooth Sword (lol)

http://www.dystopia-game.com/pr_images/080927/broadcast01_lg.jpg

P.S.
Medi-plant = Regen Aug. This game is the closest thing to a proper DX MP game released to date.

VodunLoas
10th Nov 2008, 08:46
I played it for awhile before the full first version release. I was in the WW3 clan. I still kicked ass, even though I used dial-up. I did quit and went back to DXMP, only because I had friends on it and I've played it since 2001... and downloading updates all the time on steam sucks for dial-up. I do recommend Dystopia to anyone with Half-Life 2 and who love Deus Ex.

Laokin
11th Nov 2008, 00:21
I played it for awhile before the full first version release. I was in the WW3 clan. I still kicked ass, even though I used dial-up. I did quit and went back to DXMP, only because I had friends on it and I've played it since 2001... and downloading updates all the time on steam sucks for dial-up. I do recommend Dystopia to anyone with Half-Life 2 and who love Deus Ex.

Awesome.

The new version should be coming out soon. The patch looks pretty monumental for this mod. Either way, it's pretty DX.

Unstoppable
11th Nov 2008, 15:45
Dystopia is a really good Deus Ex multiplayer type game. It would be cool if Eidos hired the Dystopia team and converted their games/maps to the Deus Ex 3 storyline. One can only dream haha!

pha
11th Nov 2008, 17:25
Imho a (preferably free or cheap) MP expansion would be the most logical approach, in order not to interfere with the original (read SP) game's release date and design. The real deal is single player, and it should stay that way.

PS: I'll laugh my non-augmented butt off if EM disables health regen in Multiplayer (and only in Multiplayer) for balance reasons.

Romeo
12th Nov 2008, 08:16
There was a very large discussion for this exact topic over at BioWare prior to Mass Effect's release. While no doubt multiplayer is always appreciated, there's also no need for it in a solid single-player game. Maybe as an afterthought.

Jerion
12th Nov 2008, 10:17
There was a very large discussion for this exact topic over at BioWare prior to Mass Effect's release. While no doubt multiplayer is always appreciated, there's also no need for it in a solid single-player game. Maybe as an afterthought.

Yep. :)

I wouldn't say that there is no need for it; I think that a battle royal between us mods in DX 3 multiplayer would be in order. :D

DXeXodus
12th Nov 2008, 11:55
No need, I would win :rasp:

Jerion
12th Nov 2008, 12:06

Oh really? Bring it. ;)

Laokin
13th Nov 2008, 04:02
Oh really? Bring it. ;)

Too bad it likely can't be brought. TRU doesn't have netcode does it?

Jerion
16th Nov 2008, 20:49
Too bad it likely can't be brought. TRU doesn't have netcode does it?

Ask K^2. He might know. :)

Keep in mind that the engine may have great netcode- TRU may just not use it.

K^2
16th Nov 2008, 21:06
Fact that TRU doesn't have net code doesn't mean it cannot be made into MP. GTA SA doesn't have net code either. Yet, MTA guys managed to inject it without so much as access to sources. EM will have sources to Crystal Dynamics, so if they really wants to, they can make DX3 run networked MP. It's just going to take a little more effort, will have some glitches, etc. But of course, that's not the thing that would likely kill it. Odds are, they'll simply not think it'd be worth the trouble. Pity. Then again, maybe we can manage to inject it with something past release just like the MTA guys did. Would be fun to try, but it would take a lot of effort.

CommanderHomer
18th Nov 2008, 20:44
I do, but I don't want the emphasis to be on multiplayer too true, i want mp, but id rather have more levels/weapons etc in campaign than an amazing mp, however co-op would be nice, coz, although i luv playing dx on my own, i would luv playing with other people, but some sort of ranks could be nice, coz i remember going on dx mp after not playing on it for ages and finding people owning me coz almost all the weapons are available at the start of the game, good idear but kinda unfair lol.

Romeo
19th Nov 2008, 01:28
Yep. :)

I wouldn't say that there is no need for it; I think that a battle royal between us mods in DX 3 multiplayer would be in order. :D

Relax, you can both take solace in the fact I'd crush you. 'Cause Romeo's a SEX KNIGHT. If you don't get that line, you need to watch more Picnicface videos.

too true, i want mp, but id rather have more levels/weapons etc in campaign than an amazing mp, however co-op would be nice, coz, although i luv playing dx on my own, i would luv playing with other people, but some sort of ranks could be nice, coz i remember going on dx mp after not playing on it for ages and finding people owning me coz almost all the weapons are available at the start of the game, good idear but kinda unfair lol.
That's just it. Multiplayer takes a great deal of effort to properly implement, and I can all-but-garauntee you it wont be in. Xbox Live isn't a service you can half-bake. If you have multiplayer, there's a number of things you need to have as well. I can't imagine them devoting a great deal of time to multiplayer can you?

K^2
19th Nov 2008, 02:21
There's a way to check. Just ask Rene how many coders there are on the team, and how many of them are networking experts. If you have 3-4 of these sitting around, you might as well get them to work on multiplayer for a lack of better things to do.

Jerion
19th Nov 2008, 02:56
Relax, you can both take solace in the fact I'd crush you. 'Cause Romeo's a SEX KNIGHT. If you don't get that line, you need to watch more Picnicface videos.

That's just it. Multiplayer takes a great deal of effort to properly implement, and I can all-but-garauntee you it wont be in. Xbox Live isn't a service you can half-bake. If you have multiplayer, there's a number of things you need to have as well. I can't imagine them devoting a great deal of time to multiplayer can you?

That's right romeo, we don't have to worry about you. You're a lover, not a fighter. Bow chicka bow wow! If you don't get that line you need to watch the teal one more. :rasp:

K^2
19th Nov 2008, 06:11
Bah. The only reason you, Mods, want to have a brawl amongst yourself is because you are afraid of a death match against somebody who doesn't run into walls.

Jerion
19th Nov 2008, 06:51
I don't run around aimlessly. People just put walls in my way. :D

GmanPro
19th Nov 2008, 06:53
Its a good thing I invested in that "Wall-mover" aug. It does it's job perfectly :thumbsup:

Jerion
19th Nov 2008, 06:56
oh, so YOU'RE the one!

Seize him!

GmanPro
19th Nov 2008, 07:03
:eek:
My cover is blown! Time to use this smoke-screen aug I bought the other day.

http://epicninjamaneuver.ytmnd.com/

Jerion
19th Nov 2008, 07:06
Not so fast!

*uses tentacle aug to smash through the smoke screen and grab him* :rasp:

APostLife
19th Nov 2008, 07:17
EM should have the talent to think up a new multiplayer system for DX3 multiplayer, I have waited long for MP in DX3.

GmanPro
19th Nov 2008, 07:24
I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those meddling tentacles!!! :D

K^2
19th Nov 2008, 10:27
I don't run around aimlessly. People just put walls in my way. :D
I actually built a QII map around the concept back in the day. It was a simple maze that kept rearranging itself. Despite being a small map, it actually turned out to be rather fun for 1-on-1 or 3-way death match.

OnceBigCountry
25th Nov 2008, 19:08
The problem with that is funding development of the MP component.

Buying the game on the shelf pays for the original development and the developer may or may not feel obligated to fix any glaring errors but coding major expansions may be another matter altogether.

Depends how nice and how flush Eidos are I guess. Another publisher who's name rhymes with You Be Soft would never pay for such an expansion on PC in a month of sundays.

It could work over steam as a cheap expansion I suppose.

Most of us would have paid to play back in the day.

dixieflatline
25th Nov 2008, 22:43
I think the best idea would be to have DX3 focus on single player, and then like 6 months or 1 year after release, release a DX3 multiplayer expansion pack called Deus Ex: Wars, as a multiplayer-only, clan based, team game.

jordan_a
25th Nov 2008, 22:47
:thumbsup: Hell yeah.

Jerion
25th Nov 2008, 22:52
Definitely. Maybe 6-8 months after release of the single player game ship a multiplayer expansion. Deus Ex: Wars sounds a little corny, though. :)

spm1138
25th Nov 2008, 23:18
Wasn't Snowblind going to be "Clan Wars"? :D

Maybe they could call it "Invisible Wars"... :scratch:

Wildeheart
26th Nov 2008, 13:49
I don't think DX3 warrants multiplayer in the least.

There's more than enough excellent multiplayer out there already and as it costs a massive amount of time/money to develop it (you're basically talking about a whole new game on top of the single player) I think the budget/resources would be best spent making sure the single player experience is as good as it can be.