PDA

View Full Version : There should be some kind of "Making of Documentary" as with Halo.

WhatsHisFace
16th Dec 2007, 23:15
I'm a fan of all-things "behind the scenes" whether it's movies or videogames. There have been a few high-profile games released over the year with some quality documentaries to accompany them. If nothing else, I'd like some simple developer commentary. Anything insightful into the development of one of my most anticipated games.

Just thought I'd be better to bring this up now, as there's still months and months left to it's development.

Tyrant Worm
18th Dec 2007, 19:54
I'm a fan of all-things "behind the scenes" whether it's movies or videogames. There have been a few high-profile games released over the year with some quality documentaries to accompany them. If nothing else, I'd like some simple developer commentary. Anything insightful into the development of one of my most anticipated games.

Just thought I'd be better to bring this up now, as there's still months and months left to it's development.

That would be freakin' awesome!! I'd like to second this one!

phlebas
22nd Dec 2007, 16:25
They really should give us the 'making of' dvd, with pre-order or collector's edition etc.

Harakiribert
22nd Dec 2007, 18:18
Yeah, some insights would be great. For starters, a developer diary would surely sweeten the long wait.

binaryboy
28th Dec 2007, 00:26
If it's documentary style with the problems, emotions and frustrations like Code Rush, Startup.com or E-Dreams, I'd love to see something like that. If it's more of an advertisement with developers simply talking about how cool the game will be and marketing people hyping the game, then we're better off without it.

Smoke Screen
28th Dec 2007, 04:59
If it's documentary style with the problems, emotions and frustrations like Code Rush, Startup.com or E-Dreams, I'd love to see something like that. If it's more of an advertisement with developers simply talking about how cool the game will be and marketing people hyping the game, then we're better off without it.

Yeah,definitly. "Halo 3: Sci vs Fi" ? No way,man. What a BS.

v.dog
28th Dec 2007, 08:20
I like the in-game commentaries. It's a another good reason to play the game twice.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
28th Dec 2007, 10:41
Yeah, good idea.
Bioshock had fab behind-the-scenes extras...its always cool to meet the producers and staff. :)

mr_cyberpunk
28th Dec 2007, 11:23
I'd like to see a documentary that explains what was left out, and how the game progressed from Design, to Alpha and then to initial release. This gives us good information as to what went wrong/right during the process. Something we really needed for the previous two games. Fortunately warren spector heavily documented the process involved in interviews :D

Also something on Deus Ex Modding and the Deus Ex fanbase would be cool too :D

Smoke Screen
28th Dec 2007, 21:09
I'd like to see a documentary that explains what was left out, and how the game progressed from Design, to Alpha and then to initial release.
I would like that for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. too. ;)

imported_van_HellSing
28th Dec 2007, 22:20
I'd really love to see a commentary feature like in Valve's releases, as it shows stuff in actual context of the game - like walking around a location and reading nodes about the history of its design and implementation etc.

Dave W
29th Dec 2007, 00:23
Yeah,definitly. "Halo 3: Sci vs Fi" ? No way,man. What a BS.

I just watched the first 30 seconds of it and already I'm fully agreeing with that sentiment.

"Halo is one of the pioneering video games of the last 10 years..."
How many games in the past 10 years has he played?

JakethePirate
1st Jan 2008, 02:17
The best developer commentary implementation is the system Valve uses. I've played every game with it once with commentary on and I find it very rewarding.

Something similar in DX3 would make me very happy.