PDA

View Full Version : J.C Denton

VoRaDoR
16th Dec 2007, 19:08
I think he was the best character to play with. Hope we play with J.C and Alex Denton optional on the new game. Also the voice actor of JC from Deus Ex hopefully it's him again :)

Am I asking for too much :)

WhatsHisFace
16th Dec 2007, 19:41
You're asking for too much, but you're right. A Deus Ex game without JC Denton wouldn't be quite right. I'm hopeful Jay Anthony Franke can also return to do some voicework on the game, whether JC is a part of the story or not.

Bluey71
16th Dec 2007, 19:43
Good point - I hope the voice acting is up to scratch.

Kasjada
16th Dec 2007, 20:08
Indeed the voices were great in DX1 and i hope that they will return in DX3, too. And there i come to the question whether there will be localised versions. I would personally prefere english in DX, because often the atmosphere gets lost due to a bad translation and bad voices.

So please let the player choose the language if there will be localised versions.

imported_van_HellSing
16th Dec 2007, 20:12
I don't think playing as JC again would be possible, especially with all signs pointing to DX3 being a prequel to the original game. But how about playing as the person JC was cloned from?

phlebas
16th Dec 2007, 22:18
I don't think playing as JC again would be possible, especially with all signs pointing to DX3 being a prequel to the original game. But how about playing as the person JC was cloned from?

All the signs point to a prequel? Which ones?

WhatsHisFace
16th Dec 2007, 22:22

It's not a prequel. A vote box with a date on it doesn't mean it's a prequel.

HOMG teh image flashes of Da Vinci it takes place during Renaissance!!!

StormFront
16th Dec 2007, 23:44
I think he was the best character to play with. Hope we play with J.C and Alex Denton optional on the new game. Also the voice actor of JC from Deus Ex hopefully it's him again :)

Am I asking for too much :)

Yes, you ask far too much and I cannot believe you would consider your post to be even slightly serious. :mad2:

@whatsHisFace - LOL!:D Right on...

imported_van_HellSing
17th Dec 2007, 07:17

HOMG teh image flashes of Da Vinci it takes place during Renaissance!!!

1. The vote box. Plus the fact that the date has been taken out from the newest version of the teaser, which means it's important.

2. The focus on mechanical augs.

3. Considering the finality of the IW endings (well, except maybe for the Illuminati one), there's not much space for DX3 to be a sequel to IW. Unless they disregard IW entirely.

Woggy
17th Dec 2007, 07:58
There no way it can be after Deus Ex 2. If they announce it is and they somehow merged all the endings together and the game is set in 2100 then we know its going to completely lose the feel of the first game and thus be immensly disappointing.

It could be either between DX1/DX2, before DX1 or even during DX1/DX2.
I'd love it if t was before DX1 or in-between DX1/DX2.

Dave W
17th Dec 2007, 16:25
1. The vote box. Plus the fact that the date has been taken out from the newest version of the teaser, which means it's important.

Or because everyone was getting obsessed over it, and they took it out because it's not a prequel.

WhatsHisFace
17th Dec 2007, 17:29

2. The focus on mechanical augs.

3. Considering the finality of the IW endings (well, except maybe for the Illuminati one), there's not much space for DX3 to be a sequel to IW. Unless they disregard IW entirely.

Nanotechnologically augmented fetus (Main focus of the preview) = ONLY POSSIBLE AFTER THE EVENTS OF DEUS EX 2.

Nathan2000
18th Dec 2007, 09:19
Nanotechnologically augmented fetus (Main focus of the preview) = ONLY POSSIBLE AFTER THE EVENTS OF DEUS EX 2.

Who said the fetus is augmented nanotechnologically? JC Denton didn't have pivot points and you didn't have to remove any parts of his body before maintenance.;)

StormFront
18th Dec 2007, 09:26
Who said the fetus is augmented nanotechnologically? JC Denton didn't have pivot points and you didn't have to remove any parts of his body before maintenance.;)

Last time I checked, metal does not grow...

If this was a prequal the charcter would be emch-aug'd like Gunther. they are implanted when the person is amture as they would not grow with the person.

The joints are either part of the container that the kid is in or something even more high tech than just nano-augs...

Nathan2000
18th Dec 2007, 10:00

If this was a prequal the charcter would be emch-aug'd like Gunther. they are implanted when the person is amture as they would not grow with the person.

The joints are either part of the container that the kid is in or something even more high tech than just nano-augs...

All right, I'll believe, that DX3 will be a sequel to DXIW. You can convince my by proving the following statements:

Prove, that the thing in the trailer is really a human fetus.
Prove, that it has something to do with the story (and it's not just a visualization of an idea of upgrading people).
Prove, that Deus Ex 3 will take place at time, the fetus exists.

Prove, that it's made of metal.

Really, there is not enough information in the teaser to make such assumptions: "DX3 will be a prequel", "No, it won't", "you are nanoaugmented". It's just a teaser. According to Wikipedia, "their purpose is less to tell the audience about a movie's content than simply to let them know that the movie is coming up in the near future, and to add to the hype of the upcoming release."

StormFront
18th Dec 2007, 10:05
All right, I'll believe, that DX3 will be a sequel to DXIW. You can convince my by proving the following statements:

Prove, that the thing in the trailer is really a human fetus.
Prove, that it has something to do with the story (and it's not just a visualization of an idea of upgrading people).
Prove, that Deus Ex 3 will take place at time, the fetus exists.

Prove, that it's made of metal.

Really, there is not enough information in the teaser to make such assumptions: "DX3 will be a prequel", "No, it won't", "you are nanoaugmented". It's just a teaser. According to Wikipedia, "their purpose is less to tell the audience about a movie's content than simply to let them know that the movie is coming up in the near future, and to add to the hype of the upcoming release."

If all you want is proof then you are a fool. This game does not exist yet - we are here only to speculate and offer ideas. The problem is that fools like you are simply stamping your feet and threatening to hold your breath until you are sick if we all just don't admit that this game is a prequal to DX.

It's called a free exchange of ideas and in such a thing I am required to prove nothing... but clearly such a concept is beyond you...

Nathan2000
18th Dec 2007, 10:41
If all you want is proof then you are a fool. This game does not exist yet - we are here only to speculate and offer ideas. The problem is that fools like you are simply stamping your feet and threatening to hold your breath until you are sick if we all just don't admit that this game is a prequal to DX.

It's called a free exchange of ideas and in such a thing I am required to prove nothing... but clearly such a concept is beyond you...

5. Prove, that I'm "sick if you all just don't admit that this game is a prequal to DX.":rolleyes:

I'm glad, that we agree.;) DX3 didn't come out yet. The main point of my post is that we know nothing about the game and all those "proofs" ("trailer indicates that...") are simply worthless. No, I don't want to convince anyone that it will be prequel, sequel or anything (however, I hope, it'll be a prequel).

You wrote once: "The chance of DX3 being a prequal are nill to the power of my overdraft so this game will be set a good distance in the future." It's strange, that you are so certain even if you have absolutely no proof to back up that thesis. Or maybe I'm just a fool who asks for too much.

StormFront
18th Dec 2007, 11:00
5. Prove, that I'm "sick if you all just don't admit that this game is a prequal to DX.":rolleyes:

I'm glad, that we agree.;) DX3 didn't come out yet. The main point of my post is that we know nothing about the game and all those "proofs" ("trailer indicates that...") are simply worthless. No, I don't want to convince anyone that it will be prequel, sequel or anything (however, I hope, it'll be a prequel).

You wrote once: "The chance of DX3 being a prequal are nill to the power of my overdraft so this game will be set a good distance in the future." It's strange, that you are so certain even if you have absolutely no proof to back up that thesis. Or maybe I'm just a fool who asks for too much.

Good grief - So not only do you make no sense you are now taking to miss-quoting me? Nice...

The point is that while we have no proof either way around, some of us are capable of using our brains and employing some deductive reasoning, therby presenting speculation on what "could" be. You on the other hand, like many others here, just turn up and say "You're wrong" without adding anything to the conversation. The problem is that you do not even understand the difference, do you?

Nathan2000
18th Dec 2007, 13:41
This is slowly turning to a flame war and I'm not the one, who's flaming. Keep your "You are a fool", "You don't even understand" to yourself.

Allow me to misquote you again. You said, that the forum is for "a free exchange of ideas and in such a thing you are required to prove nothing...". Yes, the ideas should be free, but proof is a NEED if you want to be treated seriously. If you have no proof, you're just talking bullsh.it.

Notice, that you actually gave some sort of proof: "If this was a prequel the character would be mech-auged like Gunther. They are implanted when the person is mature as they would not grow with the person." But then I accused you that this proof is very weak and can be easily refuted, like everything that is deduced from the teaser. In the end, you started insulting me...

Please, if you can't give me a cultured answer, don't reply this post.

StormFront
18th Dec 2007, 13:51
This is slowly turning to a flame war and I'm not the one, who's flaming. Keep your "You are a fool", "You don't even understand" to yourself.

Allow me to misquote you again. You said, that the forum is for "a free exchange of ideas and in such a thing you are required to prove nothing...". Yes, the ideas should be free, but proof is a NEED if you want to be treated seriously. If you have no proof, you're just talking bullsh.it.

Notice, that you actually gave some sort of proof: "If this was a prequel the character would be mech-auged like Gunther. They are implanted when the person is mature as they would not grow with the person." But then I accused you that this proof is very weak and can be easily refuted, like everything that is deduced from the teaser. In the end, you started insulting me...

Please, if you can't give me a cultured answer, don't reply this post.

Your posts are getting harder to read. Your language is deteriorating and your logic is vapid.

You continually fail to read my posts and are just rattling on that I cannot prove anything, missing the point that I am not trying to.

Consider yourself ignored as I am not sinking to your level

Alex D
3rd Jan 2008, 19:08
No DX game would be a DX game without My older brother J.C. Maybe not a big part in the upcoming game but something at least!.

vecima
3rd Jan 2008, 20:49
The Denton family is the largest and most dangerous terrorist organization the planet has ever seen. Your mission is to take them down. You will begin by infiltrating a compound in Novisbirsk. ApostleCorp is the false legitimate front for this compound. Tracer Tong will be on site for a short time. Tong is the terrorist mastermind behind the collapse, and is your primary target on this tier of the mission. Do not act on Tong until you have a definite kill, and there must be no witnesses, as you will be required to use your cover to gain access to the Dentons. You will have only a short window, so gain his trust quickly and take him out.

SageSavage
3rd Jan 2008, 20:50
yeah, that's pretty much the mood...

pauldenton
4th Feb 2008, 06:35
Tong or another of JCs allies sets it up to destroy JC Denton - for whatever reason - (blackmail/power?) and its up to Paul (you) to rescue him, but paul is unaware that it is Tong who has turned and is behind it all.

throughout the game you believe it is another enemy, but in fact Tong is using you to fight what is essentually your ally.

however i believe it is a prequal which will focus on hybrid old style mech technology, as the concept artwork for DX1 showed,

http://www.planetdeusex.com/images/image.asp?/dx1/files/art/dxart01.jpg

and that it will end with the birth of the Dentons, the parents may feature and daddy denton may be the main man.

being daddy denton you will get behind the charature to rescue your children and bring down the corrupt.

the ending may not tie in with DX 1, but a story set to stop DX 1 from happening.

Marine9254
5th Feb 2008, 18:19

JC was Cloned from Paul So not much could be done with him as the main person in a prequel

Draco1979
5th Feb 2008, 19:46
Well if it a prequel then I hope we do play daddy Denton. Far as games goes it is like the movie and the third ones always points to the past. Now if it is a sequel then we must take out Alex Denton or help him/her like we did for IW. Even better IW never happen and they treat IW like Microsoft did with ME. Either way I hope they dont make DX3 just for Vista even if it is descent OS, XP is still better in many ways.

jd10013
5th Feb 2008, 21:07
I hope you get to play as JC, and get to kill alex in the first couple minutes. I can't think of any more perfect way to tie the two games together.

pauldenton
5th Feb 2008, 21:29
I hope you get to play as JC, and get to kill alex in the first couple minutes. I can't think of any more perfect way to tie the two games together.:lmao:

jordan_a
5th Feb 2008, 21:37
Good thinking. :D

B0b_P@ge
5th Feb 2008, 23:59
I hope you get to play as JC, and get to kill alex in the first couple minutes. I can't think of any more perfect way to tie the two games together.

Genius!

Boiny Bunny
7th Feb 2008, 03:50
Seeing as how the entire focus of the Deus Ex games is on the Denton brothers (/sister if you made Alex a female), I don't think that it would be much of a stretch of the imagination to see how you will probably be playing as the only Denton who's tale is left untold - Paul.

Playing the game as Paul Denton would allow for a prequel - detailing his initiation into UNATCO, his discovery of the truth while in Hong Kong, and quite possibly even events leading into his role in the first game. Not to mention whatever new plot elements they decide to create - which I imagine will be flooding out the old plot of DX1.

The date on the ballot box is a substantial element of evidence that the game will be a prequel - but only just. The date isn't actually all that far from the start of the first game (only a couple of years if I remember correctly).

Now you can all jump up and down yelling "No it's not real proof" "Yes it is", but that's not going to lead us anywhere. All we can go with is the *evidence* that they have specifically chosen to show to us in the trailer.

I've heard people saying that maybe it's a collection of shots of the world from the past to present and this means that it is a sequel. This is rubbish. Most of the shots are from famous books/pictures depicting events that occurred hundreds of years ago. Then there are a series of very special mathematical formulae and constants. Then there is the ballot picture and a picture of a series of police lined up with their shields. Forgive me if I'm forgetting an image - but these images are certainly *not* a 'progress through the ages'.

If this were the case, there would be shots of the world from DX and DX: IW and then shots after DX: IW to establish to the viewer how much the world had changed over the years.

Now to further that, look at the endings in IW.

1) The entire world is completely and utterly destroyed. The surface becomes a nuclear/arctic wasteland that only the Omar are capable of surviving on. This is quite obviously not going to happen.

2) Every single person and being in the world is 'connected' to Helios and JC Denton. This is also quite definately not going to happen.

3) The world reverts to the middle ages, banishing technology and all of it's 'evils' - if you help the Templar.

4) The Illuminati put the Aquinas hub (didn't it get blown up with Area 51?) into a space station, and control the entire world from the shadows as they always have. This is the only ending that could go *anywhere*.

BUT in this ending, JC, Paul, Tong, and pretty much everybody else from DX games that you may have cared about is dead. So I think that pretty much rules that out as well.

You're most welcome to completely disagree with me - but consider all of your posts instantly ignored unless you write them in a calm and logical manner. I will not respond to "You're an idiot! I'm right because I am!"

Zegano
9th Feb 2008, 01:27
You're an idiot! I'm right because I am! (Sorry, I couldn't help myself:rasp: Then again, perhaps that's everyone else's problem as well:scratch: )

The date on the ballot box is a substantial element of evidence that the game will be a prequel - but only just. The date isn't actually all that far from the start of the first game (only a couple of years if I remember correctly).
I think that it only means that the game will take place after 2027. That allows for both a prequel and a sequel, and so shouldn't be taken as proof of either.

Forgive me if I'm forgetting an image - but these images are certainly *not* a 'progress through the ages'.
Not all of them show a progression through the ages, but many show the history of science as it relates to human anatomy i.e. our progress towards achieving augmentation. Yes, all that it shows are mechs. But all mechs appear before the voting box image. Therefore these events happened before the 2027 vote. The anti mech signs and riots appear after the vote, and there happened at an unspecified time afterwards. As for the lack of nano aug references: Nano augs are invisible. the public didn't even know of their existence before JC's decision at the end of Deus Ex, and it would have taken some time after that for word to get out. As for the mathematics, I won't pretend to have an opinion on them. I'm sure I'll slap my forehead and say "of course" when its revealed, but I think its too vague to say now. Remember, mathematics won't change as science advances. It will have additions, but very few corrections.

Admittedly there is no evidence of post IW activity. Well, 90% of us hated it (even if we played the whole game through anyway:nut: ) so it would make sense if it is set after Deus Ex and before Invisible War, during the collapse. The final images of the riots could well be the result of the collapse, when global communications go down and governments lose power. Also, I really want to forget IW, not because it was bad as a game, but because it does make a good sequel to it really hard.

Zegano
13th Feb 2008, 06:36
So... Is anyone going to try to be bring up more of an argument for a prequel? I didn't exactly disprove it in my last post.

Nathan2000
15th Feb 2008, 21:33
I don't really think, that proving that the game is a prequel or not is possible with our current knowledge.

The final images of the riots could well be the result of the collapse, when global communications go down and governments lose power.

Good point! I didn't think about it. However, one of the people on the streets carry a sign with "NO AUGS" on it, which implies that they're really protesting augmentations. This may still happen after the Collapse, though.

Zegano
15th Feb 2008, 21:48
I don't really think, that proving that the game is a prequel or not is possible with our current knowledge.

It would be silly to think that the trailer contains definitive information about the game, but we fans are rabid with the news of this game.

MattMan
16th Feb 2008, 03:12
Personally i think it will be a sequel though parts may happen at the same time as DX1 and youll play as Paul because remember Paul was once a unatco agent 2 and was turned so you could possibly play as him and the missions he was assigned

AI Prototype
19th Feb 2008, 00:33

The date on the vote box, the obvious focus on mechanical augmentation, the obvious focus on discrimination against mechanically augmented people. It's a prequel.

How would the plight and suffering of mechanically augmented individuals be relevant in a post DX:IW world?

From a writer's perspective, doing a sequel to IW would be a nightmare. Not to mention boring and completely off course. Placing DX3 between the two games wouldn't make much sense either as most DX3 players are going to be people who have not played DX or IW.

"Who we are is but a stepping stone to what we can become."

Could that statement not be why they show an augmented fetus? That this is what humanity will become? I think the purpose of that fetus animation is just to provoke thoughts on post-humanism, not suggest that it's the main character in DX3.

luminar
19th Feb 2008, 20:11
i definetly believe that jc denton should be the protaganist in the next game. he was one of the awsomest characters ever. alex felt to freindly and outgoing for a clone. and as far as the next game not being a sequel, i think its possible for them to make a sequel. because helios didnt assimilate everyone just linked to them some people may form a resistance that could be the new threat. maybe im crazy but thats my two cents.

Tracer Tong
20th Feb 2008, 18:21
http://www.planetdeusex.com/images/image.asp?/dx1/files/art/dxart01.jpg

Hmm... Looks like Kevin Spacey. Yeah, he'd be the perfect JC

PD182
22nd Feb 2008, 01:06
If it is a sequel (please not a prequel) then it could be played on from the templer ending, the voice talks about hunting down the last cells of disease remaining being short on time, could be playing as one of the last augmenteds trying to survive or fight the new power. explain all the anti- augmenteds images in the trailor, the boxes of abandoned mech prosthetics etc..

Papy
22nd Feb 2008, 08:43
could be playing as one of the last augmenteds trying to survive
That would be a bad idea. When my own survival is at stakes, I don't have to question my actions from a morality point of view. I just do what it takes to survive, and every decision becomes quite simple to make. Most of the time, in those situation, the only thing I think about is : What is the most efficient solution? I don't really care about the world or the story, at least not emotionally, I only care about winning the video game. What is important is ammo, weapons, inventory...

On the other hand, when I am not the center of the story, when I am not the victim, I view my role more like the one of a judge. This is when I start to think about the whole situation and begin to emotionally care about the whole world around me. In those case, what is important is the story and characters, and this is when "immersion" sets in.

Of course, this is not the only reason why this is a bad idea. For example, one reason is that kind of player centric story can easily falls into a childish point of view (a kid is used to be the center of the world, but most adults are pretty much used to be insignificant, unless they decide to do something exceptional). Another reason is that a real hero is not someone who saves his butt, but the one who risks his own butt to save other people.

caldron68
22nd Feb 2008, 13:47
JC was Cloned from Paul So not much could be done with him as the main person in a prequel

If the game is a prequel to DX1, then the story should probably focus around Paul Denton, right? There's a lot that can be done there. Especially since the story line could revolve around Paul's enlistment into UNATCO, his missions against the NSF, his discovery of the conspiracy and his struggle to come to grips with the lies and distortions. There are many, many references to Paul in DX1. Think Hong Kong, Paul's relationship with Tracer Tong, Maggie Chen, etc...

urban_queen41
25th Feb 2008, 07:03
I think Paul's story is probably the most realistic option, but what would be really cool would be to forget IW ever happened, and start off the second one with the Illuminati ending. JC could defect from the Illuminati, Everrett becomes his enemy, blah blah blah...

Sushi...Scientist
25th Feb 2008, 09:45
Why not see it as the dual mind of JC/Helios percieving the baby as one of his people.

Lo Bruto
25th Feb 2008, 17:28
And why not begin from Tong's Dark Age? :o

GruntOwner
16th Mar 2008, 13:29
Personally, I don't want to see the Dentons in it. This is because a) Alex was one of the most non badass, annoying, self righteous in the non awesome way puffs that I've ever seen in a game. His voice was awful and the fact that he would throw himself into a conversation with anyone with no regard for the continuity of his previous actions was annoying and time wasting on the same level as walking into a public building and having exactly the same conversation as had been had countless time prior to put the damn gun away. The second reason is that I just don't think it's an integral part of the game. I wouldn't mind references to them but as a prequel the idea of playing as paul just seems repulsive to me. His character is already defined as a borderline pacifist and playing him any other way just wouldn't seem right, thus removing the ease with which you could decide how to do things. Rambonites aren't going to want to gung ho in crossbow blazing. Just my opinion, but IW was a bad experience for Denton characterization, and frankly I think it's time we gave someone else the galaxy. As for the whole Templar ending hypothesis, who the hell really chose that as their prefered ending?

EpeSeta
16th Mar 2008, 16:13
And why not begin from Tong's Dark Age? :o

I think that would be a good idea too. After all, one thing IW DID do well was tie up the endings of DX (in my opinion at least), and since there's not much info on what happened during the Collapse it gives a lot of space to operate on. Besides, that way DX3 could contain most of the original characters.

And I agree with not playing as one of the Dentons. I want a fresh protagonist, maybe one of the other clones in the vats in Area 51, if it's set in the right timeframe.

WildcatPhoenix
16th Mar 2008, 19:19
I think I agree with the "not one of the Dentons" crowd. As much as I love Paul and JC, I think their story would be difficult to continue (especially as a prequel) without damaging the sense of continuity. This is one reason our mod team chose to make the player character an MIB instead of continuing on with the Dentons.

Of course, I'm biased. Just because our mod tells the story this way doesn't mean it's the only way to continue the Deus Ex universe. But it seemed the best option to us, and I think it adds some fresh perspective to the game world.

Maybe the designers will see it that way. Or maybe we'll get another chapter with badass JC (not emo-punk, spikey-haired Alex...epic MEH).

-Wildcat

Edx
16th Mar 2008, 19:36
The worst thing about being Paul, would be that we know pretty much everything about the character. Not only whats explained in DX1, but also in the DX continuity Bible. I want new characters with new things too discover. Im sure the Devs realise this so Im not too worried. :)

FistOFun
17th Mar 2008, 00:36
Readdition of sunglasses for JC would be appreciated ^_^.

Basically though I do not paticularly like the idea of a prequel. I felt that enough of the past was explained and would like to know more about the future.

Gary_Savage
15th Apr 2008, 18:53
The worst thing about being Paul, would be that we know pretty much everything about the character. Not only whats explained in DX1, but also in the DX continuity Bible. I want new characters with new things too discover. Im sure the Devs realise this so Im not too worried. :)

Could it be possible that DX3 is a prequel that is so close to our present time that Paul is no longer a part of the equation? That would explain the prosthetics in the trailer, and in the concept art. With a situation like that, we will no longer know how the story ends (if it ends some time before the DX1 period), and we will need an agent who cannot use the as yet uninvented nanotech augs, and who might have to use other ways to enhance his/her abilities, while still being able to blend into the crowds. I suggested something along these lines here:

Could it be that the DX3 protagonist will be a chemically enhanced agent? That way, even if we do have a prequel, we can have a non-nano augmented agent who can blend into the crowds. By chemically enhanced, instead of a mechanically enhanced agent, I mean someone who has been conditioned to respond to chemicals, in certain ways, or someone who uses chemicals to enhance certain abilities. An example (from the game Metal Gear Solid, since I do not know if this works in real life) is a drug that calms a sniper's nerves, so he/she can shoot better, at long ranges.

We could end up with a Jason Bourne style character, only chemically enhanced (or maybe a James Bond style character, given player choices).

Igoe
15th Apr 2008, 21:06
I don't know, I see a lot of hints at a prequel in the teaser. They clearly show what is, if not a human fetus, then the pre-form of some creature, symbolizing a beginning, be it metallic or organic in nature.

They use the word "augmentation" which was practically non-existent in the world of IW. I see no reason why they would suddenly bring it back in a much later post collapse world.

Most of the pictures relate in some way to learning the beauty of the body, which strongly suggests a time of initial realization, rather than perfection. I feel the fact that a few of the pictures were classically painted was a deliberate one.

I guess a bit more subtle is the color choice. Deus Ex had a blue theme to it, IW had a purple theme, and the teaser and newly released concept artwork both have a definitively lighter orange color, earlier in the spectrum. I for one love the orange scheme, it's something new and lends itself well to a matching with a darker tone.

They also play the first few notes of the first song in the first game.

All that aside, as much as I loved the Dentons, it would be too predictable for the new game. Everybody knew what the D stood for in Alex D. The "realization" midway through the game was anything but for most of us.

I'd like a new character, with their own new backstory to uncover. Paul, JC, and Alex have all been fleshed out well, I don't believe they need any additional adventures or retcons. I'd love to see them MENTIONED, or perhaps met in an offchance, but not playable.

I'd also like a character with problems. Alex grew up in poverty and had a bunch of crazy crap happen to him, but he never felt conflicted to me. JC at the end at least sounded confused, at the very least unsure. Alex was always happy-go-lucky and I'd like a MUCH darker, conflicted character to command in DX3

I want my female Emile to have a scene where she's crying in the back of a dirty alley in the rain because her lover abandoned her in disgust and the Illuminati are closing in to her location to salvage the tech she has "acquired"

Vasarto
16th Apr 2008, 02:20
Indeed the voices were great in DX1 and i hope that they will return in DX3, too. And there i come to the question whether there will be localised versions. I would personally prefere english in DX, because often the atmosphere gets lost due to a bad translation and bad voices.

So please let the player choose the language if there will be localised versions.

I think it is so far beyond to ask for that it could never happen no matter
who is developing the game. I mean come on! You really think a completly diffarant company that is deveolping a game is gonna get the same voice actor from 8? years ago to do it? They might not even have the same voice or they could be dead or in jail being raped by big jim for being a child molester...

Ok...ok I know a bit out there and uncalled for.

Im just saying that there is almost absolute 0% chance of getting the same voice actors from a game that came out in almost eight years ago. To me it
just does not sound like it is going to happen no matter how bad I want Paul and JC to come back!

Ghostdog
16th Apr 2008, 09:54
almost absolute 0% chance Then that´s not really zero chance, is it? I don´t see why it wouldn´t be possible to bring back some of the voice actors - eight years isn´t that long. They were raped in prison and their voices changed after that? Yeah, that sounds more probable.

If the game is a prequel to DX1, then the story should probably focus around Paul Denton, right? There's a lot that can be done there. Especially since the story line could revolve around Paul's enlistment into UNATCO, his missions against the NSF, his discovery of the conspiracy and his struggle to come to grips with the lies and distortions. There are many, many references to Paul in DX1. Think Hong Kong, Paul's relationship with Tracer Tong, Maggie Chen, etc... This could actually make for a pretty interesting story, as it would allow for some "heavy choices" along the same lines as the ones JC faced in the first game.

As for the issue of the Denton´s being "overexplored" already, you have to realise that a majority of the people who are potential customers have never heard of the Denton-family, read all the little clues and hints throughout DX1 and most certainly have not read the Deus Ex-bible (I know I haven´t, even though Deus Ex is my favourit game ever). And Paul Denton is still a pretty cool character, so why not put him to use? Furthermore, if DX3 turns out to be a good game with an interesting prequel-storyline this could get people to play the two previous games as well. So good business for Eidos there.

Even though we are big fans of the franchise we have to realise that while Eidos Montreal might be looking to please the fans, they´re not making the game exclusively for us.

Voltaire
16th Apr 2008, 19:24
I'd also like a character with problems. Alex grew up in poverty and had a bunch of crazy crap happen to him, but he never felt conflicted to me. JC at the end at least sounded confused, at the very least unsure. Alex was always happy-go-lucky and I'd like a MUCH darker, conflicted character to command in DX3

Tortured, troubled anti-hero types are my favourite protagonists in film, literature and gaming. I do, however, find it hard to see the devs writing in a character that is so tainted and with so much of their own background. The way that DX1 drew in gamers to an immersive storyline, was to make the lead character a veritable blank canvas. The gamer found it easy to relate to him simply because it was impossible for him to seem unreachable or opposed to the player's own thoughts and feelings (even down to choosing skin colour).

IMO, that's why DX:IW was seen as less engaging for anyone who had played DX1... despite the fact that Alex was more physically mouldable (gender selection etc.) s/he had a very strong back story, and was therefore a little detached from the gamer.

Ghostdog
17th Apr 2008, 06:42
Good point there Voltaire. I guess Deus Ex was also very much about discovering who JC was, and who you were as JC, along the path to discovering the truth.

VoRaDoR
8th Dec 2008, 20:49
Hopefully we'll get to see more updated news about Deus Ex 3 it's taking so long....

My favorite games:

*Deus Ex series
*Hitman series
*Legacy of Kain series

Bethesda Softworks

*Elder Scrolls series
*Fallout 3

Jerion
8th Dec 2008, 21:02
Whoa. Necropost! :nut:

DXeXodus
9th Dec 2008, 11:43
Dont.necro.post.

Bad things happen to necro-posters......

Jerion
9th Dec 2008, 12:11
Like threads being closed. :poke: