PDA

View Full Version : TRU croft manor

never_the_same
15th Dec 2007, 15:45
what would like to see in TRU croft manor??
would you like it to be more as in TRL or like in TRA??
what new rooms would you like to see??
would you like some changes in TRU manor?? :D what would you change?

LisaB1962
15th Dec 2007, 17:10
I would really like to see Croft Manor as an equipment station between levels. Pick your gear.

never_the_same
15th Dec 2007, 17:13
i wouldn't agree.. :o

i love TRL manor!
in TRU i would like to see same TRL manor with this new graphic.. :D
for outside manor, i don't care too much, but it will be nice to see it :D

LegendLost
15th Dec 2007, 19:05
As sad as it is, I like the idea of having a bathroom, and a kitchen, and the basics. It would make it more home like, such as in the original games.
Oh and it would only make sense to have it look more like Legends, Since this is Legends Sequal. The Anniversary manor was the manor some 10 years Earlier.

And as far as graphics goes, I have a question.

Can they reuse old stuff from different game engines and just update it, or do they need to remake the whole manor from scratch since a new engines being used to make Underworld?

lara-is-so-cool
15th Dec 2007, 19:11
i say it would be best if you could pick any of the 3 houses her father leaves her

and i know this is complicated but imangine if by what time and time of the year is set on your consol the manor would change

example: if its winter smow would be outside the manor and christmas decorations would be put up

example 2: if its dark where you are its dark in the manor

never_the_same
16th Dec 2007, 15:40
As sad as it is, I like the idea of having a bathroom, and a kitchen, and the basics. It would make it more home like, such as in the original games.
Oh and it would only make sense to have it look more like Legends, Since this is Legends Sequal. The Anniversary manor was the manor some 10 years Earlier.

And as far as graphics goes, I have a question.

Can they reuse old stuff from different game engines and just update it, or do they need to remake the whole manor from scratch since a new engines being used to make Underworld?

i dont need kithcen & bathroom... it would look out of TR style!
TRL had great manor, faithful in TR style!!
i would love TRL style manor, without kitchen.... :D

for your "reuse" question, i don't know the answer

tomb raider lover
16th Dec 2007, 16:03
I would like a secret room (like tr3) with a giant swimmable aquarium:D ...but this time it would look better with the better graphics

William Croft
16th Dec 2007, 16:03
I would love the new manor to follow on from the Legend manor.. The legend manor was perfect in all ways and in TRU there might be new additions to it and better graphics!! Fingers Crossed.. It would be dissapointing if there was no manor like in TR5 and TR4:(

Jezyk
16th Dec 2007, 16:09
I vote for TRL-style manor quest, with rewards that actually affect the game (new outfits etc.). It would also be fun if the manor had some role in the storyline - like you have to find Richard Croft's secret room or something;p

digifan
16th Dec 2007, 16:22
More rooms and secret passages for sure. After all, Croft Manor had over eighty eight rooms. We barely scratch the surface in TRA and TRL with the ten rooms we can unlock and explore respectively. For instant, where is the master suite? Lara's room does not count! What does Lara's garage like? Can it rival Jay Leno's parking garage and his collection of cars? Where is the gallery Winston mentioned? Where is Lara's combat exercise room? Or Zip's lab?

Curiouser and curiouser, I daresay. ****

Bring 'em on! :D :cool:

Tomb-Dude
16th Dec 2007, 16:25
I've got a question, Will Winston be a talkative character in Underworld? Becuase i thought it was good they made im a talkative character and had a role in the game instead of being the butler he just walked round with a tray and farted every now and then?? lol

But It would make sense for it to follow on from the Legend Mansion but with MORE rooms, a bigger outside. And as interesting as they could get it but imagine that graphics with just the legend manor *drools again*

Isaac
16th Dec 2007, 17:04
i dont need kithcen & bathroom... it would look out of TR style!
TRL had great manor, faithful in TR style!!
i would love TRL style manor, without kitchen.... :D

for your "reuse" question, i don't know the answer

Hm, sorry? Have you played Tomb Raider 2 and Tomb Raider 3?

They had a bathroom and a kitchen as well, and a lot of other rooms. So having a kitchen wouldn't be out of Tomb Raider style.

Right now, the mansion is a level. It wasn't like that before. The mansion, before, was a place where we could have fun, there wasn't any objectives, we could do a lot of stuff (specially in TR3). Even if we finished to find the secret areas in the manor, we could still have fun (climb on the roof, jump down, put Winston in the giant fridge)... Now, if we finish the manor level in TRL and TRA, there's nothing else to do...

Now, it's only a level, activate this switch to open a door, then run in there, find the secret, go outside... It's not a mansion anymore. I agree that the manor is beautiful, but it's not what kind of manor level I wanted. I wanted more freedom. More funny things.

What made the secret rooms in TR3 special, it was that they had no utility, and there weren't a lot. If I take the museum room in TR3, it's useless, but still good to see it. Or the secret room in TR2...
There's too much secret room now.

Tomb-Dude
16th Dec 2007, 18:13
What really was the point of the bathroom and the kitchen in those to game i never really understood it? :scratch:

Isaac
16th Dec 2007, 19:07
What really was the point of the bathroom and the kitchen in those to game i never really understood it? :scratch:

It's a manor... And there's no need of a reason to everything.

ditom
16th Dec 2007, 19:33
It should looks like in Legend but I should be much much much much bigger.The garden should be very very...big with lots of chalenging training missions.Maby there should be kind of lake?
In the house I want very very very very very big swimming pool and gym.
I want much more things but I don't remember any more...:D

never_the_same
16th Dec 2007, 19:56
ditom, people want everything, better say "i would like to" :o

issac

They had a bathroom and a kitchen as well, and a lot of other rooms. So having a kitchen wouldn't be out of Tomb Raider style.

i know, but i think that is more in TR style manor like in legend was!
just to add secret passages and that's it! perfect kinglish manor!
no need for more!

Isaac
17th Dec 2007, 02:15
The problem is that I don't want a kinglish manor or a level, I want Croft's manor. Full of useless rooms, there to train the player.
The TRA's manor wasn't realistic... There wasn't any locked door, we could go everywhere... And there were missing rooms for a fully explorable manor.

The style of the manor is okay... But no more manor level, more rooms (as useless as they can be. We don't need an utility to everything) and a manor to train.

tiernan
17th Dec 2007, 07:07
1.well i want it to be like TRL mansion
2.i want to see the front of the house i want the to main front doors openable.
3.i want to see the kicten dining room secret room
4.i would change laras bedroom to classics like bedroom.

oh and i want to keep zip and alister in the game as long they don't chit chat!
and don't tell where all the secrets are and 2 cutscenes pre level start and end. :)

Tomb-Dude
17th Dec 2007, 16:36
I like hte legend mannor and the anniversary manor.
To me it felt 10X more homely then the old classics, they where good for the time but, they needed a change and CD i think have done that quite well...
It looks like something Lara would have.
But i would like more rooms and a bigger garden like in TR 2 & 3....

William Croft
17th Dec 2007, 16:39
Your right Tomb_Dude.. Thats exactly how I felt.:D

ditom
17th Dec 2007, 19:44

issac

no need for more!

Yeah sorry.
So would like everything I said before+horse riding around Laras garden and lake.:D

Hamud-64
18th Dec 2007, 23:48
i would like to see kitchen ... bathrooom more and more secret rooms and passeges .... i wan to be able to go out to the garden ( but i want the garden to be something more then just a maze ... and big garden wher she can tryin her self a mean very big ..... like a place so she tryins shoting ... plase wher she trayns riding cars and etc. I would like it to be more comlicated ... and it would be nice that if the new engine worked like when u 1st open the game u have to put what day and time it is ... and by "real" world time it would change from dark to light and opisite ...... i would like to se more bigger swiming pool with more undergound passeges .... and capebilty (sorry for thelyrics) of climbing all over the manor outside ...... and it would be nice if in the game u get a chance tu be in a city full of ppl and u walk all over around .... so u dont feel lonly ... and ya i would like in the manor like in the movie a place where she tryins with robots and etc. and a task where she will have to fight a robot ..... i guess thats all

Hamud-64
18th Dec 2007, 23:54

issac

no need for more!

you wanna say that kinglish manor has no kitchen or bathroom ? that funny :) :D :scratch:

Inn_Hevonn_Klann
20th Dec 2007, 16:02
One thing: No closed doors that you can't get in to!!/Full exploration capabilities!!

TwinPistols
20th Dec 2007, 16:12
I would like a Croft Manor:
1. like TRL, but bigger, bigger and bigger!
2. with kitchen, bathroom, bedrooms, everything!
3. with Winston following Lara and she could be able to lock him in the freezer, talk with him and shoot him ( like TR3)
4. with lots of activities: puzzles, rewards, play songs an the piano, quad-bike racetrack, Ducati bike with no race track, so Lara could have a wander around the manor and try (only try) to kill Winston! (poor Winston, he is allways my victim!)
5. with the robot SIMON
6. and a shooting range with a horse (as TR Cradle of Life), using twin pistols, a shotgun or a arrow and bow!

I think this way lara would feel at home, with lots of crazy things to do.

party_animal
26th Dec 2007, 19:44
I would like to see the Manor more homey. Like Lara could walk in sit on the couch or a comfy chair in front of the fireplace and read a book or something. That would be cool in Underworld if people invade her house like in the first movie and she has to defend it, like they try to steal Excalibur but she stops them or they take it and she breaks into their head quarters to steal it back.

As for features I would like...

Kitchen (like she goes in a freezer to get something and Winston [by accident] locks her in and she has to break out of it before she freezes to death

A interactive bathroom

time of year setting

track so she could practice riding a motorcycle or dirt bike or atv or something

A garage so we can see what cars she drives and like we could get in it and drive it around the property

A weapons room like any and every weapon she has ever used

Atheist
27th Dec 2007, 15:32
I think she should be able to 'sleep' in her bed. It would'nt require any animation, just a simple black out and recover to switch the time from day to night! :D

I'd like to see some more homely rooms like a kitchen or bathroom - yes, yes, I know; this is'nt The Sims...but they could have some use. And if not, just having the rooms there as part of the scenery would be okay.

They had a kitchen and bathroom in TR3/TR2, so why not again? :p

Alos, more interaction with furniture; sitting on the couch or a chair.

Atheist
27th Dec 2007, 15:41

Well, seen as were the ones who are gonna be paying for this game, we should be able to suggest what we want not what we 'would like to' have. :p

LegendLost
27th Dec 2007, 16:32
Completely unrelated to the thread BUT WELCOME BACK ATHIEST! It's nice to see you rampaging around the forums and bringing them back to life!

TwinPistols
2nd Jan 2008, 13:11
I would like to see some minigames on the "useless" rooms, like kitchen or bathroom (honestly, I we need it?), to give them some use. In bathroom she could have to pick up things to make a large medipack in some time (as time trial) and in the kithchen se could, ummm, destroy everything?:nut: (I need ideas...)

About sleep, sit, whatever, it would be fun, but, why a Tomb Raider game need it?
I agree with change of seasons: in Spring, lots of flowers and some rain; Summer, trees with fruits, and some summer storms; etc, etc.

ExH
2nd Jan 2008, 13:28
I would really like a bigger garden etc. As far as I heard there will be few vehicles to drive, so I would love to see special place near Manor where you could push your motorcicle to the limit... :D

Also maybe some targets to shoot or something... I would really love to see a timed-course from TR1 once again...

Mangar The Dark
2nd Jan 2008, 13:34
I would really like to see Croft Manor as an equipment station between levels. Pick your gear.

I think that would get a bit tedious, and would interupt the adventure too much. The manor is a good diversion when you need a break from the regular levels, but if it's forced on you after every level, that would make it annoying.

They did a good job with the manor in TRL and TRA. Now just open it up a bit more, add a few new rooms, and a larger outside area, and it'll be great. Oh, and they could stop putting the camera in annoying positions everytime Lara goes through a door.

Tomb-Dude
2nd Jan 2008, 13:47
To be honest i dont really mind, i have always loved the mansion and still love them, even the classics! Just as long as it is nice. And have more rooms with a lot of interactive things. I don't really mind!

Just make it a good one :thumbsup:

LisaB1962
2nd Jan 2008, 15:35
I think that would get a bit tedious, and would interupt the adventure too much. The manor is a good diversion when you need a break from the regular levels, but if it's forced on you after every level, that would make it annoying.

Well, I'm thinking that the gear you pick affect how you can complete the level. No grapple? Gotta take the long way around that chasm, but you get an extra secret. I think it could really improve replay value.

Mangar The Dark
2nd Jan 2008, 17:37
Well, I'm thinking that the gear you pick affect how you can complete the level. No grapple? Gotta take the long way around that chasm, but you get an extra secret. I think it could really improve replay value.

That's actually a really cool idea. But I wouldn't want to have to traverse the manor each time to get the equipment. Just give me a screen where I make the selection about what to take.

And, of course, every level should be possible to complete with any combination of equipment, but certain parts would be easier with certain items. There should never be a point where you get 3/4 of the way through a level, and then reach an deadend because you didn't choose to bring the grapple (or whatever.)

Wess~Gamer
2nd Jan 2008, 18:10
What I want in the new manor is a bigger garden, more rooms.. like a bathroom and a kitchen, but also bedrooms for Zip and Allister (because they have to sleep too right?)
I already can imagen it! :D Allisters room realy clean and tidy, with everywhere books and stuff, and zips room with a computer and everywhere stuff and food on the ground :lol:

and for the rest I want more interactivity with stuff in the manor, like being able to site on chears, putting on/off lights, brushing her teeth :p

o.. and ofcourse switching from day to night and from night to day ;)
maybe you can do some things in day and you need to switch to night to continue :rolleyes:

Atheist
2nd Jan 2008, 18:31
It seems the kitchen/bathroom idea is really popular ;)
Alot of people were suggesting it before Anniversary, and they still are.

So make it happen!! :D:D

That's actually a really cool idea. But I wouldn't want to have to traverse the manor each time to get the equipment. Just give me a screen where I make the selection about what to take.

And, of course, every level should be possible to complete with any combination of equipment, but certain parts would be easier with certain items. There should never be a point where you get 3/4 of the way through a level, and then reach an deadend because you didn't choose to bring the grapple (or whatever.)
That sounds amazing. I'd love that! :eek:

Oh, and they could stop putting the camera in annoying positions everytime Lara goes through a door.
I agree!! That really gets annoying.

Completely unrelated to the thread BUT WELCOME BACK ATHIEST! It's nice to see you rampaging around the forums and bringing them back to life!

:D thx :D

Jezyk
3rd Jan 2008, 11:53
Well I always thought that the closed door in Lara's room is her bathroom, and it's locked because there's nothing to find there^^ And that the closed door in the hall next to the packages/Zip's place is the kitchen. I wonder where Winston lives though. Perhaps he sleeps on the couch in the music room or in Lara's bathtub:P

pot
3rd Jan 2008, 12:19
I think the nip-back-to-the-manor idea is a very bad one. What I like, one of the things I actually like about Anniversary is that they have kept it relatively simple, more true to the original TR than Leg End was. OK it's very unrealistic to have her carrying around all these guns and health packs.... but at the end of the day it's just a game. What's important is the gameplay.

Capkeez
3rd Jan 2008, 12:36
an assault course would be nice.
I just thought of an idea. I think it would be cool if the "main menu" was croft manor itself. to change the settings, make lara run into the maintenance room or something. to view extras, visit the rare artifact gallery. to start a game, walk out the gates.

Mangar The Dark
3rd Jan 2008, 13:36
I just thought of an idea. I think it would be cool if the "main menu" was croft manor itself. to change the settings, make lara run into the maintenance room or something. to view extras, visit the rare artifact gallery. to start a game, walk out the gates.

Sounds good in theory, but I think it would get tiresome after a while. I like to have quick access to things like game settings. If I want to change the screen resolution or something, I don't want to have to jog around the manor before being able to do it.

LisaB1962
3rd Jan 2008, 17:02

That's really all I envisioned, just a brief visit where you pick in a GIANT room of equipment. Not a real trek or level or anything.

I think there could be rewards based on how you complete each level--how quickly, how many enemies killed (bonuses for AD kills), how many items picked up.

danderson852
4th Jan 2008, 16:16
Hey everyone in my opinion I think Crystal Dynamics will leave out the manor in Tomb Raider Underworld, as Core Design did in TR4, 5 and AOD. It may not tie in with what seems a "darker" game than Legend. But I would love the return of the manor. I love the idea of interactivity in the manor and a kitchen so Lara can eat when hungry etc. I would love an outside with an assault course and gardens with lakes. Also I would like more rooms, fully explorable e.g. Lounge, Bedroom, Gym, Pool, Changing Rooms, Bathroom, Kitchen, Hallway, Secret Rooms, Basement, Attic and Library.

We are asking a lot of Crystal Dynamics, aren't we? Lets hope they'll do it! :)

Rai
4th Jan 2008, 16:37
Hey everyone in my opinion I think Crystal Dynamics will leave out the manor in Tomb Raider Underworld, as Core Design did in TR4, 5 and AOD.

According to tombraiderchronicles, the manor will definitely feature in Underworld. They are planning more areas for training and gadgets.

danderson852
4th Jan 2008, 18:36
According to tombraiderchronicles, the manor will definitely feature in Underworld. They are planning more areas for training and gadgets.

Oh that's great then, thanks for the info! :D

Joshorty
5th Jan 2008, 07:32
WOW like everyone here is really getting the idea that the manor needs to be more HOMEY.

And yeah it seems impossible that they'd remove the manor and move in with the mansion, even though that mansion conquers the manor...

Another thing is probably that there's constant music in the manor..I don't know if it's just me. Or maybe the place is too 'techy'... it's not authentic. I mean I know the old manors have technology running around the house but compared to the one in Legend/Anniversary...

UGH before I spill my big idea that may have little impact...I'm just gonna hope that they include the mansion somehow..

Acid_Burn
5th Jan 2008, 07:58
I like the idea of the time of the year&moto track in the garden.
Also it would be great, if CD make a huge aquarium in the basement (like in TR3):rasp:

danderson852
5th Jan 2008, 11:30
And yeah it seems impossible that they'd remove the manor and move in with the mansion, even though that mansion conquers the manor...

What on earth are you talking about????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The mansion conquers the manor???? They are the same. Just to show my frustration!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Atheist
5th Jan 2008, 16:41
I thought Croft Manor was Lara's Mansion. :confused:

Joshorty
5th Jan 2008, 16:51
What on earth are you talking about????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The mansion conquers the manor???? They are the same. Just to show my frustration!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you want me to put it this way, Lara's mansion (from TR 1-3) is heck loads better than the Croft manor you find in Legend/Anniversary. This is my opinion:) I've played the mansion since the beginning of time when Tomb Raider gave birth and to see it as a manor now kinda disappointed me. I think there are BIG differences between them :D

Like I said, I kinda doubt they'd move away the LEGEND/ANNIVERSARY manor for the original mansion, now that it has been already done with Anniversary. What they could do at least is add the things people mentioned....

o.. and ofcourse switching from day to night and from night to day ;)
maybe you can do some things in day and you need to switch to night to continue :rolleyes:
I forgot to quote this from my previous post but that is AWESOME :D

TombRaider.in.Training
6th Jan 2008, 17:20
I LOOOOOVE the TRL manor! Love it love it love it! Just keep that and EXPAND! IMPROVE and EXPAND!

Lets face it, we all love taking Lara to far and mystical places, but after a while of seeing yet another room in a tomb that looks exactly like the one before it, only to unlock it and move into the next one which again is exactly the same, you need a break, but you still wanna play with Lara (that sounded wrong) so the mansion should be a place for fun and free no pressure adventure, after all the game is quite heavy in terms of storyline anyway. So a place where Lara and the gamer could have a bit of R&R would be a feature that would not go unapreciated.

One of the major draws for me that sold me the series was seeing my friend playing the game on his PS1 and watching him bungle around this giant mansion that Lara had all to herself, save ofcourse Winston.

But I reckon the new mansion should bring back some old features and add them to the new Legend Manor. Like that wicked outdoor training area in one of the earlier TR's that was like a bootcamp course. Aswell as the quadbike course (now which should also be a motorbike course aswell with the addition of the motorbike in Legend). Having it a bit level like is fine, they just shouldn't make it all there is to the place. The addition of rooms with no real purpose other than to goof around in and perhaps play out "a day in the life of Lara" scenarios is a GREAT idea, why not have a kitchen that you could see Winston cooking up a meal in. and a combat training room like in the first movie is BEYOND AWSOME, though I think it would be more suitable if it simulated enemy's you'll face in the game and gradually bosses as you defeat them. Also I miss Zip from Legend, it doesn't leave you feeling so alone all the time. But the manor should be fully interactive, why not let Lara actually sit at the tables and chairs for once instead of them being some stiff object she'll imediatley climb ontop of should she accidently walk over it, which totally ruins the atmosphere in my opinion.
And I reckon her outfits should all be there to start with, well some to start off with and the others earned as you go on. Its all part of the fun to put Lara in different outfits, and it seperates the manor from the rest of the game if she's in some casual trackies and sports bra like in TR1 instead of her running around in her full raiding gear, which makes the gameplay seem heavy and monotonous. But one complaint about the Legend and Anniversary Manors is they were way to Level like, a little bit is fine but they were way to Level like, as earlier mentioned, there was no reason to go there after you'd unlocked everything, which can be done in the space of an hour. But all in all I guess it should run like a "sims" house, let Lara choose the background music, let her have some fun, let her dress up! Can you imagine her killing that robot in the evening dress and high heels before she ripps and re-designs it (in Legend, Tokyo) mmm that would be a killer combo!

But all in all it should be just more fun and free reign, leave stressing out and heavy and deep plotlines to the rest of the game, let the Croft Manor be a breath of fresh air.

Atheist
6th Jan 2008, 17:37
If you want me to put it this way, Lara's mansion (from TR 1-3) is heck loads better than the Croft manor you find in Legend/Anniversary. This is my opinion:) I've played the mansion since the beginning of time when Tomb Raider gave birth and to see it as a manor now kinda disappointed me.

Oh, I understand. So the classic home was the mansion, and the new one is the manor?

I too think the mansion is way better than the Legend/Anniversary manor. :(

I think it would have been great if they recreated the MANSION for Anniversary. So they actually recreated the home that Lara was actaully living in at the time. Not just expanded on the Legend one.

In fact, I think the only reason that CD chose to make a new home for Lara in Legend, instead of making the mansion, is because they wanted the manor to be like in the movies.

So we did'nt have a recreation of the TR1-3 Mansion in Anniversary, because CD had already made the Legend one.

They already made the Legend one, because they wanted it to be like the movies.

They wanted to change the games, to tie in more with the movies.

Great.
Another reason for me to hate the horrific movies and the even more horrific Angelina Jolie. :thumbsup:

Jezyk
6th Jan 2008, 18:01
To be honest I loved TRL's manor. I loved leisurely discovering it's secrets and unlocking things, and that it affected the gameplay as the secrets summed up to the pistol upgrades & gave you a few new suits. And you could still just run around after unlocking everything, I seriously don't get you people - what's the difference between running in purposeless rooms of the "mansion" and running around the gym, swimming pool, library etc. in 'manor' after completing it? None!
I also think that CD's manor is more homey than the old ones, it's more decorated, it has doors :nut: , there's less empty space and the colours are different, overall it's more cosy. The previous one was cold & empty most of the time.
I agree about the clothes though, Lara should wear something casual instead of her tomb-raiding outfit when she's at home.
I didn't like TRA's manor as much as Legend's, because it's night in there, the're is no real swimming pool, just the dark, unpleasant construction place & I think there's too much running to get to the garden. But it's still good and the relic room is neat.

TombRaider.in.Training
6th Jan 2008, 18:18
Yeah but I was sooo pumped for a motorbike course! *stamps foot* but the point you made about the night and day thing is true, I prefer day time for the manor. And when I say pointless I don't mean just empty spaces to run around in I mean interactive rooms just not based around acheiving anything, or unlocking another room. Just rooms where she can interact with the appliances, but I don't like the gym in the legend or anniversary manors. I liked how there was one in the old TR that had like flying foxes and sliding into a little pool, oh and I've notices there's lack of using ropes horizontally in this legend. What's with that?

TombRaider.in.Training
6th Jan 2008, 18:23
Yeah but I was sooo pumped for a motorbike course! *stamps foot* but the point you made about the night and day thing is true, I prefer day time for the manor. And when I say pointless I don't mean just empty spaces to run around in I mean interactive rooms just not based around acheiving anything, or unlocking another room. Just rooms where she can interact with the appliances, but I don't like the gym in the legend or anniversary manors. I liked how there was one in the old TR that had like flying foxes and sliding into a little pool, oh and I've notices there's lack of using ropes horizontally in this legend. What's with that?

Joshorty
6th Jan 2008, 19:28
Oh, I understand. So the classic home was the mansion, and the new one is the manor?

I too think the mansion is way better than the Legend/Anniversary manor. :(

I think it would have been great if they recreated the MANSION for Anniversary. So they actually recreated the home that Lara was actaully living in at the time. Not just expanded on the Legend one.

In fact, I think the only reason that CD chose to make a new home for Lara in Legend, instead of making the mansion, is because they wanted the manor to be like in the movies.

So we did'nt have a recreation of the TR1-3 Mansion in Anniversary, because CD had already made the Legend one.

They already made the Legend one, because they wanted it to be like the movies.

They wanted to change the games, to tie in more with the movies.

Great.
Another reason for me to hate the horrific movies and the even more horrific Angelina Jolie. :thumbsup:
Pretty much why they kept the manor from what you said. Well I'm fine with Angelina but it's just that as usual, the movies are loosely based on games. The CLOSEST ever that I've seen a game movie adapt to the game is probably Silent Hill (kinda lost its tough A LOT later in the film..) and FFVII AC. Well it is a sequel after all it has to. But then again this one doesn't really count.

But meh they did mention a tie-in plan if they can/would for TR9I believe.

But all in all it should be just more fun and free reign, leave stressing out and heavy and deep plotlines to the rest of the game, let the Croft Manor be a breath of fresh air.
EXACTLY. I read all your words there. That's what I'm trying to say. I want the level to feel R&R. I mean fine TR I-II had a little level like stuff you have to do but you still get that R&R atmosphere.
If they do this to the manor, I'll probably love it more than not enjoying it at all:(

Atheist
6th Jan 2008, 21:12

EXACTLY. I read all your words there. That's what I'm trying to say. I want the level to feel R&R. I mean fine TR I-II had a little level like stuff you have to do but you still get that R&R atmosphere.
If they do this to the manor, I'll probably love it more than not enjoying it at all:(

I also agree with you two. I don't want the manor to be a level. And the downside of it being a level is once you've completed it, you don't actually return. There's nothing to do! :(

I agree it should be a breath of fresh air and a bit of R&R. It should have a puzzle in there somewhere, a secret room or object to find if you wish, opportunities to train safely and get used to the controls and such, fun things to do, maybe little hints that tie in with the storyline...but not a level.

Mangar The Dark
7th Jan 2008, 14:22
[B]Oh, I understand. So the classic home was the mansion, and the new one is the manor?

Not really.
The word "mansion" simply refers to a large house.
The word "manor" can either act as a synonym for "mansion" (meaning a large house), but it can also refer to the entire estate (meaning the large house AND the lands surrounding that house, assuming those lands are also part of the owner's property.)

In this case, then, the words manor and manion are interchangeable. But, I suppose, "manor" might better be applied TR2 & 3, since those let you explore not just the mansion (or "manor house"), but also the land surrounding that mansion.

Atheist
7th Jan 2008, 17:49
Not really.
The word "mansion" simply refers to a large house.
The word "manor" can either act as a synonym for "mansion" (meaning a large house), but it can also refer to the entire estate (meaning the large house AND the lands surrounding that house, assuming those lands are also part of the owner's property.)

In this case, then, the words manor and manion are interchangeable. But, I suppose, "manor" might better be applied TR2 & 3, since those let you explore not just the mansion (or "manor house"), but also the land surrounding that mansion.

I know that, but Lara has two homes, and it seems that people refer to the TR1-3 one as the 'mansion' and the Legend + Anniversary one as the 'manor'.

Joshorty
7th Jan 2008, 23:40
And that's how I'll always remember it:D I can't help distinguishing them that way:confused:

sophie22
10th Jan 2008, 22:12

Right now, the mansion is a level. It wasn't like that before. The mansion, before, was a place where we could have fun, there wasn't any objectives, we could do a lot of stuff (specially in TR3). Even if we finished to find the secret areas in the manor, we could still have fun (climb on the roof, jump down, put Winston in the giant fridge)... Now, if we finish the manor level in TRL and TRA, there's nothing else to do...

Now, it's only a level, activate this switch to open a door, then run in there, find the secret, go outside... It's not a mansion anymore. I agree that the manor is beautiful, but it's not what kind of manor level I wanted. I wanted more freedom. More funny things.

What made the secret rooms in TR3 special, it was that they had no utility, and there weren't a lot. If I take the museum room in TR3, it's useless, but still good to see it. Or the secret room in TR2...
There's too much secret room now.

i agree with you 10000% !!!

aussie500
12th Jan 2008, 14:28
Well l would finally like to be able open the front door and walk around Croft Manor and see what it actually looks like, admire some nice traditional gardens out the front, and hopefully find an outside obstacle course tucked away somewhere.

Since we have the bike and it is going to be more fun than it was in Legend, a bike track would be nice, l do not mind if the maze from Anniversary is sacrificed for it, although it would be nice to have both this time.

l definitely want the trophy room, tradition one with the T Rex head, and previously discovered artifacts and memento's on display. A few suits of armour standing around the place would be nice as well.

Considering Wayeb starts just before the New Year, and the game is being released around December, some Christmas decorations in the Manor would be nice, and if it is going to be evening, some outside Christmas lights, nothing too over the top, l doubt Lara wants to burn the place down. If Crystal Dynamics is struggling to find something for us to do they could provide a ladder, some keys and a note from Winston saying the Christmas decorators could not make it, and he does not think he could put them up by himself. Lara could go off and find and unpack them and at least some of the players would enjoy putting them up. Lara could even have some unique way of shooting tinsel just where she wants it.

An extra unlockable outfit, with a Christmas theme would be nice, perhaps only wearable in the manor.

For the next gen versions l would expect all the computer screens in the Manor to be readable, l was disappointed that the PC version it was to blurry to read in Legend and yet they were perfectly readable on the XBox 360. It would also be nice to have more photo's around the Manor, of things other than Mum and Dad, perhaps some old friends could be added to the collection.

blonde croft
17th Jun 2008, 19:13
i read that croft manor might be a level. that croft manor will be burning down. but i know it is bull ****.