PDA

View Full Version : Alister and Zip..?

William Croft
14th Dec 2007, 19:51
Do you want Alister and Zip on your Underworld journey? Please Explain your answer

[Edit] It is confirmed They will be back!! Woot, well done Eidos this was a great option and good to see you are keeping them on a low profile this will please many people.

William Croft
14th Dec 2007, 19:53
I do Because they were fun to speak to.. And QUITE helpfull.. :D:D

Tomb-Dude
14th Dec 2007, 19:55
I voted yes becuase i meant LAra actually did have "friends" on her journeys so then she wasn't ending up talking to her self all the time. Like in Anniversary reading out loud to her self??? lol
Loved Anniversary though!

But yer i will miss them if they arn't in it becuase simply thye fitted in quite well... I thought so anyways.

never_the_same
14th Dec 2007, 19:55
yeas, i would like them in TRU

headset in TRL was showing lara's professional gear, and it looks so cool!
lara had new technology, and she were not alone with headset!!

LegendLost
14th Dec 2007, 19:59
I put no (calm down people) I only put no cause, although I DO WANT THEM IN THE GAME, I dont want them in it nearly as much as Legend. It would be cool if they were only in it for like half of her adventures. That way I get to here there funny stories, whilst still having the Isolation feeling that Tomb Raider is all about =]

Tomb-Dude
14th Dec 2007, 20:00
I agree legends lost sort of, maybe if they where in they would be quiet and talk in a cinematic and when they really need to...

humbug
14th Dec 2007, 20:22
I voted no. I don't mind them being in it, as long as I don't have to listen to them all game long down that dang head phone.

never_the_same
14th Dec 2007, 20:24
i don't know wtf..... i really liked it in trl and i like all that idea with headset... :rolleyes:

Tomb-Dude
14th Dec 2007, 20:36
I liked the headset also didnt really see a problem with Zip or Alister. They fitted with the story line and i think Cd noticed that we wanted isolation, but i think they could fit that in with Zip and Alister in Underworld hopefully :D

Dragu Slave
14th Dec 2007, 20:37
Kill Them.

Tomb-Dude
14th Dec 2007, 20:38
Kill Them.

:lol: :lol:

Ur nice :lol:

William Croft
14th Dec 2007, 22:22
Thanks everyone.. :D:D

never_the_same
14th Dec 2007, 22:27
you welcome :D :D

William Croft
14th Dec 2007, 22:31
ahahahahha :D:D Np :p :p I still dont understand why people dont want them... They were goood :eek: :eek: Oh well suit urselves

Tomb-Dude
14th Dec 2007, 22:32
Zip and Alister where funny characters, they made the legend story. Try and picture it without them. It wouldn't be right?

William Croft
14th Dec 2007, 22:33
your right.. Your right... They but the LEG in legend hahahahah :rasp:

larson_1988
14th Dec 2007, 22:53
I voted yes, but only if the headset is optional!

William Croft
14th Dec 2007, 23:01
hahaha, nice one Larson :p:p HAHAH:rasp: :lol:

The Sinner
15th Dec 2007, 01:07
I didn't mind them in Legend, I thought they were quite fun actually. But they have to be in Underworld, or else it wouldn't make sense, I mean where would they have gone. I thought bringing them in Legendwas a cool idea, it showed Lara has friends, and Lara had someone to talk to while she was raiding tombs, I would think if you weren't talking to anyone while out there alone for so long you'd go insane. I say keep them but, tone down how much they speak, so it doesn't get annoying after awhile. :thumbsup:

NightRain'06
15th Dec 2007, 02:06
Personally no. I didn't feel isolated when playing Legend not to mention they were annoying with providing hints. Lara's headset should have shut off when you select Hints Off in Options or during gameplay.

But because Underworld is the sequel, they'll be there inevitably I believe.

rabid metro
15th Dec 2007, 03:23
I think the isolation mantra is over-rated. :cool:
I found Zip and Alistair to be amusing in Legend and I can't wait to hear what they have to say in Underworld.
"That sounded permanent!"

NightRain'06
15th Dec 2007, 03:30
Just implement Lara Headset toggle off and on in gameplay and I'll be a happy player. :D

Phlip
15th Dec 2007, 09:34
Nope, I'd love it to be just like the classics where there would be a spooky silence and as always, the occasional tune. :)

William Croft
15th Dec 2007, 11:10
Thats a Brilliant idea NRNR!! Try and bring it up CD might take it in mind..:D Good luck if you decide to do it!! And Philip your doing a good job explaining why you dont want them.. I sort of agree with you......... Lol your brilliant at persuading. Lol

exmachinad
15th Dec 2007, 23:16
Yes I DO hope they came back and talk with Lara throughout her journey. They have some clever and funnny lines and makes the game much more entertainning.

And I hope we have soundtrack all the time, like in Legend (awesome soundtrack, btw). TRA overall silence was boring and annoying. If some1 don't want music, just turn it off. :rasp:

Rai
16th Dec 2007, 01:07
I voted yes - but as long as they're not over used and shut up at a crucial point.

But with these new screenshots, I can't see a headset? What's that all about? Has Lara fired them and decided to go without all the chitchat? Hmmm

Jezyk
16th Dec 2007, 11:56
I voted no. To me they can stay only if they can be turned on/off, or if they talk really rarely and don't give hints if you don't want it. Comments on how fantastic the ice cave is or 'discussions' about sword names should be dropped.

TanaisRahn
16th Dec 2007, 12:48
I said yes - if shes going to a strange otherworldly place I.e. Avalon then it would make sense that she would lose contact/mostly lose contact (garbled messages) when there - but overall Id like them to be there at the start and end (end if she returns from Avalon, a part 3?)

ditom
16th Dec 2007, 19:38
I want them because they are funny and Lara talks to someone not to herself.

party_animal
26th Dec 2007, 19:53
I voted yes. Although I would much rather prefer Zip than Alister. Zip is more helpful in the tech department whereas Alister was annoying and put her in touch with some of their contacts

Wess~Gamer
26th Dec 2007, 22:48
Those funny things that they said? Yes, come back pleas..
All of those hints that they gave? No, stay away if you don't mind..

ChOnyD
27th Dec 2007, 05:51
I'm not sure... Zip and Alister were amusing at times, and other times annoying.

I haven't seen a headset in any of the screenshots either. Well, I have learned that Lara travels to places where almost no humans have gone. That is why there is so little human enemies. Traveling to mythical and underworldly places I would assume be hard to contanct someone.

Maybe once in while???:scratch:

Wess~Gamer
27th Dec 2007, 16:06
I've read somewhere that there won't be a earphone (or how ever you call it) and that they don't know what the roll of Zip and Allister will be in the game..

I don't know where I read it.. :scratch:
on some site, I found the link somewhere in a thread here.. but can't find it anymore..

RainaAudron
27th Dec 2007, 16:15
I voted no. They ruined the sense of isolation in Legend...there should be an option to turn them off...

Tomb-Dude
28th Dec 2007, 12:11
People keep on saying an option to turn them off, but that is stupid becuase if there was no tlking then what about the cut scenes and they put them in there to show lara wasn't alone in this journy.
I also dont think this one was about isolation, but more of a kick ass one...

Harakiribert
28th Dec 2007, 12:25
I voted for option 3. I don't really care.

rabid metro
29th Dec 2007, 06:37
... I also dont think this one was about isolation, but more of a kick ass one...

isolation was unfortunate "residue" from the tomb raider technology of 1996 ...
nowadays, nobody goes anywhere unconnected. :cool:
as in Legend, Lara may instruct the boys to be quiet, so she can ... ummm, yeah, concentrate.
then again, who knows if radio devices are affected by Wayeb???
(TR:U is looking more and more brilliant with each passing moment)

Jezyk
29th Dec 2007, 10:02
Stay connected for safety reasons, ok, but who needs their constant hints and commentary?

RUGRLN
29th Dec 2007, 13:50
Yes! It's nice to have a little companion along with you, if not with you atleast to hear his constant blabber! :D

Just like in Halo with Cortana, she helps you and it's nice, in Zip/Alister's case you got sometimes funny commentary!!!

Tomb-Dude
29th Dec 2007, 16:35
To be honet i dont think they gave any hints? Like they didnt really tell you how to defeat the bosses? Even though they were pretty easy except the serpent thing?
The puzzle in england with the chandeliar (sp?) and the bell that took me for ever to work out. The puzzle in Peru with the 3 balls the one just after you did the interactive cutscene took me for ever to find out :o
But i hope they were there when she arrives home after going somewhere adn in some cut scenes or something. Because they can't really cut them out after Legend surly???

Tara C
29th Dec 2007, 22:02
I voted yes because i didnt like the fact i was used to them in legend and then in anniversary she was talking to herself. I DO like the idea of feeling isolated but not completely because they arent actually with her they just give her info and they tell some funny stories =] i wud vote no if i had them following me round the tombs and i had to help them up rocks or summin daft if ya get me lol.

Falcon
12th Jan 2008, 20:43
I loved Alister and zip!!

It was nice with those two fighting and making stupid comments over the headset. She doesn't even have any family, atleast give her some friends!

William Croft
12th Jan 2008, 20:52
Too right Falcon thats a brilliant reason :D

Atheist
12th Jan 2008, 21:27
I don't really know.

I would like them, but I don't want to lose that feel of isolation.

William Croft
12th Jan 2008, 21:35
I don't really know.

I would like them, but I don't want to lose that feel of isolation.

Too true but we were discussing that they should make an off/on button for the headset I hope they think of this.

Atheist
12th Jan 2008, 22:02
Too true but we were discussing that they should make an off/on button for the headset I hope they think of this.

That sounds like a good idea! :thumbsup: :eek:

In fact, if you have the option to turn off the conversations between Lara and Zip/Alister anytime you want, then sure! Everyone would be happy!

Voted yes, because of that. Let's hope it happens.

Tomb-Dude
12th Jan 2008, 22:03
I think they shud be in and i dnt rele liek hte idea of turn off and on sort of thing.
Speak when they need to but still have a sense of isolation in there!

NightRain'06
13th Jan 2008, 02:38
Well, we all know they'll inevitably return and I'm hoping the OFF switch for Lara's comms will be implemented. Plus, if we could toggle that during gameplay instead of inside options menu, that'd be just entirely perfect.

Atheist
13th Jan 2008, 13:46
I think they shud be in and i dnt rele liek hte idea of turn off and on sort of thing.
Speak when they need to but still have a sense of isolation in there!

There won't be a sense of isolation knowing that you've got 2 people watching over you all the time, even if they don't talk.

The sense of isolation comes from being truly and utterly alone.

What's wrong with an off/on option? Wouldn’t everyone be happy then?

William Croft
13th Jan 2008, 20:59
There won't be a sense of isolation knowing that you've got 2 people watching over you all the time, even if they don't talk.

The sense of isolation comes from being truly and utterly alone.

What's wrong with an off/on option? Wouldn’t everyone be happy then?

I think thats a good idea although some don't but thats their opinion.:D

NightRain'06
13th Jan 2008, 21:16
If they do possibly add a toggle On/Off for her comm, let's hope it won't be like the Hints toggle in Anniversary.
What do I mean ?

For me, because I was familiar with the controls, I expected ALL Hints off when it was disabled manually. Yet I couldn't understand why there were tutorial boxes still appearing for utilizing Grapple hook and other moves. At that point, I thought I was watching VH1's Pop-Up Video (a TV show where music videos are played and during their play, information in a box pops up and is provided regarding the musicians' personal lives, information about the video, etc.)

Comm Toggle should be separate and working fully.

Dark Stalion
28th Jan 2008, 12:50
I think there was a suggestion in one of the other threads about having the croft mansion be a place to change equipment in between levels. If this was implemented then I can see having the option to take the headset or not. Heh, and then when you finish the level without the headset Alister and Zip could reprimand you for not taking it with you, as long as the reprimands weren't repetitive, of course. Then while on in the levels you have various levels of option, like enable/disable various conversation types, like random banter, help and plot relevant discussions. Then, when you exit the menu, have Lara announce her change in preference down the line to the guys, like "quiet, I don't want it unless it's important. I need to think/concentrate". I loved them, but I'm all for a customisable gaming experience, too.

DS

Mangar The Dark
28th Jan 2008, 13:47
According to the Game Informer preview, the designers said they are "trying to find a balance between the isolation of the old TRs and the chit chat of Legend" (I'm paraphrasing here because I don't have the magazine right in front of me as I type this.)

My feeling is have an on/off switch for the jokey comments, and a "request help" key for hints. When they say something that's imperative to the plot, of course we should hear them, no matter what. But when they start making random comments about "Don't look down, Lara, I'm getting dizzy!" that's really not necessary, and since it annoys some people, those people should be able to turn off such comments.

They didn't provide TOO many hints in Legend, but when they did, it was annoying. For example, in England, when Zip tells Lara she could use the coffin on the pressure plate to hold the door open. Yeah, thanks, but why bother putting a puzzle there at all if you're going to tell me the solution? For that type of comment, it should be handled like RAD mode on the bincoluars... i.e, don't have them say ANYTHING about the solution to a puzzle until the player presses a button to request their help.
So, for example, with that coffin on the pressure plate puzzle, Zip could have remained silent, letting the player figure it out on his/her own. Then, if the player got really stuck, he/she could select an option to request help from Zip, at which point, Lara would turn on her headset and say something like, "Zip, I need your advice on this." And THEN Zip would tell her, "Well, you could probably use that coffin to hold down the pressure plate."

Dark Stalion
28th Jan 2008, 13:55
Sounds good to me.

anakin_skyrunner
28th Jan 2008, 14:00
I voted for YES, as it was quite funny with them in Legend. Although I want to be able to switch them off or something, but enough people have said that before...

Bampire
28th Jan 2008, 19:19
No, because it ruins the whole Tomb Raider feeling. I loved it when there was no one talking in your ear and just interrupting you, whilst doing something and messes you up terribly bad. I don't want them in the the next Tomb Raider.

I miss the quiet, nostalgic feeling of the game. I never liked the guy that's bickering, constantly.

Tomb-Dude
28th Jan 2008, 19:39
I liked them, they made it have a different feel. To be honest i never really noticed the hinting for puzzles?

But I don't think there is a head peice but they are in the game i think, not 100% sure, but i guess we will have to wait for some news soon.

William Croft
28th Jan 2008, 19:58
I liked them, they made it have a different feel. To be honest i never really noticed the hinting for puzzles?

But I don't think there is a head peice but they are in the game i think, not 100% sure, but i guess we will have to wait for some news soon.

You seen the technology now adays?? ;) :rasp:

Tomb-Dude
28th Jan 2008, 20:21
You seen the technology now adays?? ;) :rasp:

Ok you confused me there :o

TDK
28th Jan 2008, 23:09
Don't care Didn't Bother me on the one hand they was little bit helpful and funny too on the other hand they annoyed me sometimes while playing especially when one of them say she absolutely terrifies me !

Larry_Croft
29th Jan 2008, 20:36
I voted yes, because I think they added another element to the game that made it interesting. They fit within the story element and provided information at times.

RMLR
30th Jan 2008, 20:53
Yes; even though their 'funnytalk' got annoying from time to time, it was a nice adition to the game. IF they come back however, I would like an 'off', 'game related', 'full' selection of how much they speak.

KentoFra
1st Feb 2008, 02:00
No. If they are back, please, not as talkative as in Legend.:mad2:

rabid metro
1st Feb 2008, 06:32
Zip and Alistair are tools that move the plot along ...
occasionally they babble and perhaps a little too much.
Legend required them more because that game was severely cut back to meet the demands of time and circumstance.
Underworld will need them less because most of its story will actually play out within the game.
however, Lara still needs them ... so they'll be back in a more supporting role compared to their featured role(s) in Legend.
:cool:

William Croft
2nd Feb 2008, 22:12
It is confirmed They will be back!! Woot, well done Eidos this was a great option and good to see you are keeping them on a low profile everyone will be happy.:thumbsup:

Scion's_Eye
2nd Feb 2008, 22:40
I voted no. Srry but they were annoying, especially when Zip says "Whooo! Baby do that again!" That just made me freeze and never play that level ever again :lol:

William Croft
2nd Feb 2008, 22:44
I voted no. Srry but they were annoying, especially when Zip says "Whooo! Baby do that again!" That just made me freeze and never play that level ever again :lol:

Hhahahahahahh!!hahahahahahah!!!!!! :lol:

Oh yes 1 post you know what thats means!!

Welcome, Have a cookie! Enjoy your stay :D

Space_Monkey
4th Feb 2008, 10:31
Well having zip and alister doesn't really matter to me,even tho they do make the levels less quite and they give you something to listen too,but yet, quiet levels make it so its more,spooky i guess you could say..

So if they come back then,okay then no quite levels. ^_^

If they don't then i think they will have to make up a reason to why her two buddies arn't there anymore.:rasp:

~Raven23~
4th Feb 2008, 12:01
I didn't vote because I like Zip but I hate Alister ;)

William Croft
4th Feb 2008, 16:06
I didn't vote because I like Zip but I hate Alister ;)

Hhahahahahhahaahahah :lol:

Icetea555
6th Feb 2008, 00:33
I say no only because they reminded me of people out of TR movies the Cradle of Life and TR fist Movie. So did TRL story line it reminded me of the TR movies. And some of it levels look like what the movies look like. Other than, that if it were original I would have love Zip and Alistair and TRL game more.

matches81
6th Feb 2008, 02:20
voted yes, because I liked them. A bit too talkative at times, but most of the time I really liked their babbling. I think I like the off / game related / full option idea, although I'd probably go for "full" anyway. :)

DempseyRo
6th Feb 2008, 15:08
:o Of course i want them back in the game -- They are so helpfull
Sometimes annoying. But they keep giving compliments if you make some salto's and dives.
I was so dissapointed when i saw they were not in TR Anniversary.

William Croft
6th Feb 2008, 16:19
:o Of course i want them back in the game -- They are so helpfull
Sometimes annoying. But they keep giving compliments if you make some salto's and dives.
I was so dissapointed when i saw they were not in TR Anniversary.

I feel the same way although the reason they were not in Anniversary was because they wanted to stick to the TR1 standards where she did not have many gadgets, well I think thats why.....:whistle: