PDA

View Full Version : Thief 1 and 2 should be released on Steam.

WhatsHisFace
11th Dec 2007, 22:39
I gave my friend my copy of Thief 1 a while ago because I liked Thief 2 more. Then I moved and Thief 2 was unfortunately never seen again.

Sad story, right? But the point is that while I could get them through Amazon.com, I don't see why this isn't a golden opportunity to voice an idea that they should be made available on Steam! Rather than dealing with disks in this digital-distribution world, I'd much rather have the games tied to my Steam account.

Thief 3 is already on Steam (I don't care what anyone says, that was a great game) and if Eidos can put Hitman 1 and Commandos on there, Thief 1 and 2 should be on there as well.

Peter_Smith
12th Dec 2007, 04:26
I have heard nothing but complaints about Steam versions of Thief. That said, I agree that better distribution of TDP, Gold, and T2 would be welcome. I don't have any say in this, though.

Unstoppable
2nd Jan 2008, 09:33
The problem is the games have issues with Xp and Vista. So patches would need to be created for them. Also the people who worked on those games probably don't work for Eidos anymore.

Plus if they do they are probably busy with Deus Ex 3 for Eidos Montreal. The best bet is Ebay or Amazon.com like you said.

Tin Star
2nd Jan 2008, 14:17
The problem is the games have issues with Xp and Vista. So patches would need to be created for them. Also the people who worked on those games probably don't work for Eidos anymore.

Plus if they do they are probably busy with Deus Ex 3 for Eidos Montreal. The best bet is Ebay or Amazon.com like you said.

You can play Thief 1 and 2 on XP just go to the tech, forum or over to TTLG and do a search for the work around on how to get them to play on XP.

Tin Star

Komag
2nd Jan 2008, 18:13
We all know there are workaround solutions. But the point is that if they released the games on Steam, buyers would fully expect it to just work normally. They would NOT be happy to find out it doesn't work, and they have to search the internet for some solution to make it work.

Tin Star
3rd Jan 2008, 05:21
We all know there are workaround solutions. But the point is that if they released the games on Steam, buyers would fully expect it to just work normally. They would NOT be happy to find out it doesn't work, and they have to search the internet for some solution to make it work.

I play Thief 2 on XP with out a work around by using SP1 you only need to use the work around for Thief 2 if you have SP 2 installed on your PC.

Tin Star

Komag
3rd Jan 2008, 17:07
If people have XP they almost certainly have SP2. The vast majority of average computer users simply let XP do it's update thing normally.

Tin Star
3rd Jan 2008, 18:22
If people have XP they almost certainly have SP2. The vast majority of average computer users simply let XP do it's update thing normally.

I have XP and don't have SP2. I use SP1.and still do my updates through windows update of which the same updates are for SP2. as well.

Tin Star

Komag
4th Jan 2008, 05:07
You are special

Tin Star
4th Jan 2008, 06:13
You are special

No I am not special all I am saying is that you don't need the work around if you have SP1. installed instead of SP2. to run THief 2 on windows XP.

Tin Star

Komag
4th Jan 2008, 06:57
oh

my

god

Peter_Smith
4th Jan 2008, 07:11
OK, children. Enough about who has the better operating system.:nut: :eek:

What exactly is the workaround you don't need if you stay with XP SP1? You still need the dual cpu affinity fix, the right drivers to play T1 with an Nvidia card, and perhaps the safe_texture_manager. The only thing I am aware of that is an issue with SP2 itself is codecs and movies, but that is not universal and there is a fix for it. I have SP 2 and nothing but the standard problems. I think it makes no practical difference, and I personally think there is no reason not to install SP2.

Komag's point is that Steam players (if they existed) should not have to deal with making the game functional. It should be functional out of the box (or the download, as the case may be). I agree.

Tin Star
4th Jan 2008, 09:08
OK, children. Enough about who has the better operating system.:nut: :eek:

What exactly is the workaround you don't need if you stay with XP SP1? You still need the dual cpu affinity fix, the right drivers to play T1 with an Nvidia card, and perhaps the safe_texture_manager. The only thing I am aware of that is an issue with SP2 itself is codecs and movies, but that is not universal and there is a fix for it. I have SP 2 and nothing but the standard problems. I think it makes no practical difference, and I personally think there is no reason not to install SP2.

Komag's point is that Steam players (if they existed) should not have to deal with making the game functional. It should be functional out of the box (or the download, as the case may be). I agree.

I understand what he is saying and I don't have a dual cpu but I do have a Radeon X800 maybe thats why I can play the game as you say right out of the box,Thief 1 is the only one I have a problem with and I am not saying I have a better system just where you got that from is beyond me all I said is that I can play Thief 2 without doing the work around.

Tin Star

PS.There is no need to start calling people childern this forum is for people to talk about the Thief games and that is what I was doing nothing more or nothing less.

theBlackman
4th Jan 2008, 10:30

I NEVER let MS do auto updates. 90 percent of them I don't need.

And I also do not use SP2. Nor Outlook.

So, your statement is true only in part. I know a lot of people who still have not upgraded to SP2, and some who did ended up with a crashed system.

I may, and the operative is "may", but not for a while.

Yandros
4th Jan 2008, 21:19
Just for the record, what is the issue with Thief and SP2? I upgraded a few years ago and never had to do any "workaround" that's being mentioned, both games continued to work fine. The only time I ever had to do anything is when I upgraded my video drivers to be able to play T3, and I had to add or remove a semicolon from one of the T1/T2 cfg files.

Huntress
6th Jan 2008, 01:15
that is to say, as you may remember earlier comments of mine..I have a duel boot system with WIN98se etc. and XP/SP2 etc. and the way I was playing it was simply a shortcut on my XP desktop to get the game that has been installed in WIN98se..therefore I haven't needed a workaround but works through XP's OS whatever :)..and I also happen to have Saffires/ATI's 800/850 card...but if I remember correcly..a different driver set was used for each, none-the-less, it playes just fine so there's something to say about keeping an older OS on hand. :D

ffox
6th Jan 2008, 07:52
Like Yandros I have never had any trouble with Thief on XP SP2. It installs out of the box. I did a clean install two days ago to test an FM side by side with/without the EP. (I'm not dual core.)

BrokenArts
6th Jan 2008, 15:10
Hey I run Thief II under Vista, and have a beautiful looking sky, after a bit of tweaking,
permanently fixed the dual core issue, and a few other tweaks, with my new LCD monitor, thief never looked so good. I can't stand Vista sometimes, but thief plays. As for what OS runs, what packs works, not work, here have a six pack. OS, are fickle beasts no matter what you do sometimes. As long as the game runs, to me, thats all that matters, some tweaks may work for some, not for others. Every man/woman for himself. Someday, I would like to run Linux. :P Share the info, and go from there.

Yes, I do have SP 2, and XP also, thief still works, always has. No work arounds, its fickle I tell ya.