PDA

View Full Version : ABILITIES Vampires running when hit with Bola is silly.

SolCutter
7th Dec 2013, 05:08
The whole point of a Bola is to slow the enemy and seeing as Vampires are already overpowered when compared to Humans then letting the Bola actually do what it is supposed to do "slow down the target" then it could help balance.

When I see the Vampire dart around a corner at full speed after I hit them with a Bola is just ridiculous and silly and I can't help but laugh at the absurdity.

ZangarftheWrassler
7th Dec 2013, 06:24
I have mixed feelings about this because vampires are inherently stronger than humans so they wouldn't be slowed by something as light as a Bola. I like that it restrains them but I feel it's too short of a time for being incapacitated. There were many times I just would run around a nearby corner for a second and pop back out to slaughter someone. So maybe a longer effect time? It would give a Human a chance to get some distance between themselves and their attacker? Actually now that I am typing this I have no idea how to make it convincing why a vampire would be slowed by a human Bola. Maybe it has vampire retardant on it?

JanusDominus
7th Dec 2013, 06:30
Well, they become completely unarmed and they can't use any skills AND they are unable to climb walls, so them retaining the speed is only fair - it gives them a chance to get away.

Gott_1
7th Dec 2013, 11:35
The bola isn't wrapped around their legs. It's around their torso.

lucinvampire
7th Dec 2013, 12:21
I agree with janus on this one, not being able to climb or fight or use abilities is hindrance enough...running away is all that is left when you're getting shot at like crazy :D

RainaAudron
7th Dec 2013, 13:34
Yeah, I think if Bola would incap the vamps completely that would be OP.

Shadyhaxx
7th Dec 2013, 16:03
I think the way it is, is ok. Like another poster said it's wrapped around their torso.

From what I can see in game so far the balance is not that far off. I've played matches where it's just a stalemate because both teams understand how to play the humans and the vampires.

So kudos to the developers the balance IMO is pretty good.

Oroibahazopi
7th Dec 2013, 16:17
If vamps couldn't run after this ability it would be a free kill even more so that it is now. There would be literally nothing a vampire could do.

Psyonix_Corey
8th Dec 2013, 01:51
Yeah, Bola is the way it is based on a lot of iteration in development.

We wanted the Hunter to have a single target disable and it's taken many forms. For awhile it was a crossbow-fired projectile that knocked Vampires down. We found this was a bit OP as nailing a lone vampire often meant he would die before he could react if a good human team focus fired him as he recovered (this is why you don't see many knockdowns from Human abilities or weapons, and the Scout War Bow is still debatable).

We landed on the melee attack disable as it satisfied our requirements (save yourself or a teammate from an attacker) while still allowing the vampire to disengage. It shouldn't be a death sentence, but Slow+Climb Disable+Melee Disable is basically a death sentence against competent players.

Phoebegene
8th Dec 2013, 04:13
If bolas could be aimed at body parts , like torso still running full speed and attack disable or legs slowed down and still climb and attack?

ZangarftheWrassler
8th Dec 2013, 04:41
If bolas could be aimed at body parts , like torso still running full speed and attack disable or legs slowed down and still climb and attack?

If you think about combat situations and the bola's application if your suggestion were in place, I am assuming most people would opt to throw at the legs because it would further reduce the vampire to what Corey stated Psyonix was trying to avoid, a bullet sink. I guess if the vampire was lucky, he would be slowed near other humans but the frequency and eventual player skill would negate this advantage. It's a good idea but probably would end up the same way as adding slow to the original bola effects.

Hugbringer
8th Dec 2013, 18:49
I personal have little complaint about the Bola, as I've been focusing on the hunter pretty much since I've started in Beta. To me it is a 'thoughtful' weapon in that you should use it at the right time. I find myself using it to save team-mates, when they are pounced by a Reaver or to interupt a Tyrant's Slam.

I have tried to hit Sentinels in the aim with it, but haven't had much luck. I think I did once, but couldn't tell if it affected him. Would be nice to know if it drops them out of the sky while in flight?

I mostly see it as a 'Use when needed' tool and helps to split up the attacking force by forcing 1 to move away and the other 3 to be outnumbered now. If only for a few seconds at least....and you still have to hit with the bloody thing on top of that.

Only possible 'changes' I could see based on my experience would be either the Duration, perhaps some sort of 'Cool-Down Reset' for the target that is hit or some other sort of effect in place of the Poison Bola.

Would be cute to have a 'Timed Explosive' Bola that exploded for a set number of damage after a few seconds on when it is broken off, hurting other vamps next to them and themselves. >:)

underfox
10th Dec 2013, 12:45
Well, they become completely unarmed and they can't use any skills AND they are unable to climb walls, so them retaining the speed is only fair - it gives them a chance to get away.

I agree, in my opinion the bola shouldn't slow.

Strike5150
10th Dec 2013, 14:17
Bola is quite strong as is, and with certain ability combinations is too strong. For example you basically can't pick an enrage tyrant vs hunters. Bola for the full duration is a guaranteed death. Ideally enrage would also break a bola that would fix this but I don't think bolas need to be any stronger.

DeputyPotato
10th Dec 2013, 14:37
I think the bola's are fine as is, some more variants would be sweet though. Definetly wouldn't mind an explosive bola.

Would be cute to have a 'Timed Explosive' Bola that exploded for a set number of damage after a few seconds on when it is broken off, hurting other vamps next to them and themselves. >:)

Reaux31
10th Jan 2014, 23:54
Well what I have noticed is 2 things with Bola. One is a buggy-ness in detection. There are plenty of times when I throw a bola and I see it hit the vamp and they do not get locked, especially with the poison bola. The other is what I feel is a balance issue.

Vamps can simply break bolas. When I get hit with one, I can use ignore pain or evasion and it rips off and I go about my business. It doesn't actually effect me that much as a vampire. The other thing is the animation time to the execution of a throw. The wind up is very long and usually by the time I throw it the vamp has run around the corner, or has already lifted me off the ground.

I know you can sort of track during the animation but when a vamp is leaping up a wall or charging at you and you score a direct hit and it still wont work, its a problem a bit.