PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to those FF8 action figures?

Crow
29th Jul 2012, 19:43
So I'm looking back through my old FF8 game manual and at the end I see these FF8 action figues
of Squall, Quistis, Zell, Rinoa, Laguna, Selphie, Irvine, and Seifer. They were never released in my country and
that makes me think they were only for sale online, but where are they now? Wouldn't it be great if Square
sold actual licensed FF action figures to a wide range of toy stores all over the world?

new_tradition
29th Jul 2012, 23:35
Best guess is that it got discontinued. These are figurines from the original FFVIII game, so I dunno how long they keep certain items in production :/

As for S-E games being distributed through chains, that would be amazing, but I don't see it happening. S-E figures are collectable and while I've seen some complaints recently, over-all quality is top-notch and worth the money. Putting a 50-60.00 figurine on sale at a Toys R Us likely won't move many units. I know some specialty/hobby stores carry them, but as far as I know, they just bought them as a regular customer from S-E's online store. No discount for mass purchases or however it works...

member_10078668
30th Jul 2012, 00:08
Best guess is that it got discontinued. These are figurines from the original FFVIII game, so I dunno how long they keep certain items in production :/

I would say about 3 years before an item is discontinued. I used to be able to find FF8 Play Arts all over 3 years ago and now I'm lucky to find even one in new condition for close to the original retail price.

Grimoire
30th Jul 2012, 00:56
You can still find the Extra Knights line on eBay. That's where I got the ones I have (Laguna, Moomba, Angelo, Rinoa and Seifer).

Sector7Access
20th Aug 2012, 23:20
I remember seeing Final Fantasy IX figures in Toys R Us in USA, but the only place I remember seeing Final Fantasy VIII figures was through privately owned video game stores or online.

When Bandai first started an internet presence they had auctions that sold these Final Fantasy VIII figures for dirt cheap. This is how I picked up most of my collection.

YukiTsubaki
20th Aug 2012, 23:31
Missing Quistis and Irvine but have all the rest of them. (The Edea that came with set 1 is the BEST one of the set!!!)

Was kicking myself in the ass for years because I saw both sets at K B Toys for $15.00 each...but had just started playing the games at the time and passed them up. Picked both sets up a few years ago on ebay for $25.00 each. Not too bad, if you think about it. ^_^'

Customized my Rinoa slightly: had a small pair of puffy wings for craft use and slid them between her hair and her jacket. Right to scale with her! :D

new_tradition
25th Aug 2012, 23:46
Went to FanExpo and bought Selphie. She's so purty *_*

(But as soon as I left, I started to regret not buying Quistis when I could have D: )

I was glad she came with a support-stand, and the nunchucks were a pleasant inclusion. She's a really simple character design wise, but I don't really see an skimping on details. The lines on her dress(?), her blue wrist stramp are very nice. Her boots have a realistic look to them too, with actual space away from her legs. Very pleased ^^

(...But I still want Quistis ;A; )