PDA

View Full Version : HELP ME start Thief gold.

Dooba
7th Dec 2007, 07:12
My processor is 2,99
RAM – 1256
NVIDIA G Force 6600

Why doesn’t my Thief GOLD start?

When I install it, it only goes when I change capability with Win 98.

When it’s installed, I start the game. There goes start menu, then start training, and when it’s time for level to start… I hear the sound of Windows “DING” and see the dark monitor. Then nothing happens. All I can do is press Esc and it goes back to desktop.

I tried to switch capability to 256 colors and 640 x 480 on Thief.exe file. But result is the same.

I remember a couple of times when I had another a lower G Force when the game started, but not for long. In about 1 minute it hung. The picture stopped.

Please help me solve this problem.

Peter_Smith
7th Dec 2007, 17:02
Please state your Operating System and the exact version number of your video card driver. The version should be part of the file name that you installed. Also the brand of your CPU and whether you have a dual processor CPU.

There are several possible problems.

One is an issue with textures that can be solved only using a special EXE. Check here. (http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75031#texturememory) Note that the statement in the link about driver versions is not quite correct. There is a recent driver that works. See below.

If you have a dual processor CPU or an Intel processor with Hyperthreading enabled, then you also need to set affinity to a single processor. As a test, you could try this temporary fix. Start the game (but do not play), hit the Pause Break key to exit to desktop, hit CTRL-ALT-DEL, select Task Manager, and select Processes tab. Find thief.exe (or whatever you called it). Right click on the name thief.exe. Select Set Affinity. Uncheck CPU 1 and hit OK. Click on taskbar icon to resume. It will revert back to two CPUs the next time you start the game. If this helps, then ask later about, or search for, Salvage's permanent fix involving imgcfg. Save your old EXE first just in case you mess up. :)

If you have an Nvidia driver version 9xxx or greater, another thing you might do is to deinstall completely the Nvidia video drivers, reboot, and install driver version 163.71. With some driver versions, T1 crashes. 163.71 works for all three Thief games, and it is a recent driver, so it should not affect your other games.

Please post back with additional questions, and let us know which, if any, of these fixes worked, or how you managed to fix it.

Dooba
8th Dec 2007, 17:23
Pentium (R) 3.00Ghz
RAM 1,256
Windows xp
NVIDIA Ge Force 6600
No dual processor

Please, help me find this EXE file you menioned. There were so many... I got lost :-)

Peter_Smith
8th Dec 2007, 18:21
There are three EXE's at that link. You need to pick the one that corresponds to the version of Thief you are running. I don't know that.

After starting the game program (but not playing it), escape to desktop using the Pause Break key. The version number is written on the Thief icon that is on the task bar. 1.37 = Thief Gold. The others are versions of Thief the Dark Project.

If the number displayed does not correspond to one of the EXE versions, tell me what number you do see, if any. Also tell me any version information that you know from the box, CD, or source of purchase.

Dooba
9th Dec 2007, 18:58
It's 1.37!!!
So which EXE is right for me?

Peter_Smith
9th Dec 2007, 19:56
1.37 = Thief Gold.
It should be clear from the three names in the link which EXE corresponds to which version of Thief, given that 1.37 and Gold are the same thing. One of the three EXE's is for "Gold".

Dooba
10th Dec 2007, 05:32
Please help me find a good link for NVIDIA driver 163.71
I tried several. They don't work.

When I reinstall driver, should I just start the game with the new exe?

Peter_Smith
12th Dec 2007, 05:02
I could find 163.71 only at secondary sources, not at Nvidia. The latest at Nvidia's site is 163.75. I just installed it and it works fine.

Go here:
http://www.nvidia.com/

Select Download Drivers. Then select your language and hit Search. I suggest to use the "recommended" drivers, not pre-release.

Yes, by all means, after installing the drivers use the modified EXE. You can try the original EXE as well. It will not hurt anything, but it will probably crash. Trying both will let you see the difference.

Experiment. Take some initiative. :)

Dooba
26th Feb 2008, 14:01
So! It's been a long time :)

163.71_forceware_winxp_32bit_international_beta - I installed it.

thieffixedg - I pasted it in my (D:\Games\ThiefG). Of coarse it didn't rewrite anything, because the name of original EXE is THIEF.

I started the game. The trainig mission ran for about 2 minutes and then it stopped. I had to "Ctrl+alt+del"

After that I started the game again, but there it was again - THE BLACK SCREEN with DEADLY silence :D

I hope you have more ideas.
What do you think now?

Peter_Smith
29th Feb 2008, 05:57
Did you actually run the fixed version of the exe?

You say you do not have a dual processor, but my guess is that you probably have hyperthreading enabled, which acts like a dual processor. You could disable hyperthreading in the bios, or run Thief on a single processor. Go into task manager (CRTL-ALT-DEL, then select task manager), and see if the performance window shows two "CPU"s. In that case, you need to set affinity to one processor.
http://www.thief-thecircle.com/guides/hyperthreading/

You need to do both of these things. If you do the permanent fix for affinity, make a back up copy of the fixed exe you downloaded and run imagecfg on that version, not the original.

Kaffekop
29th Feb 2008, 10:52
i thought i wanted to try that 'hyperthreading' thing, but i cant get the rights to do it. Im the only user of the computer, and I have all administrator rights :s

Peter_Smith
1st Mar 2008, 00:50
That doesn't make sense to me. If you have administrator rights, then you have all the rights necessary to set affinity or run imagecfg. I think you should check that more carefully. Perhaps you had the EXE running while you tried to change it with imagecfg, so the file was locked.

If you can't find the problem, explain in detail what OS you are using and how you can prove that you have administrator rights.