PDA

View Full Version : DX:HR SOUNDTRACK - Composer - MICHAEL McCANN - All Discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

MagnumJoe
6th Dec 2007, 07:50
*Moderator Edit*

SOUNDTRACK COMPOSER
The composer is the great Michael McCann!
Award-winning composer and sound designer Michael McCann aka Behavior (ReGenesis, Splinter Cell: Double Agent), best known for his ambient cinematic scores and organic soundscapes, is creating the original musical score for DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION. The music captures the unique visual style of DX:HR and thematically supports the blend of action, role-playing and adventure genres featured in the game. To immerse players in the dark and beautifully visualized world of the game, the score fuses elements of cybernoir, futuristic renaissance and electrosymphonic ambience.

http://www.behaviormusic.com/
http://twitter.com/#!/michaelmccann_
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michael-McCann/115770085132360
__

UPDATES

DX:HR Original Soundtrack Download

From Eidos Montréal Twitter / November 2011

The DX:HR soundtrack is now available for purchase and download in digital form. amzn.to/w1Laqt
Which track is your favorite?

http://www.amazon.com/Deus-Ex-Revolution-Original-Soundtrack/dp/B005TWSQ1E

CGI Trailer Soundtrack Available for Download!

Try http://www.deusex.com/news/dxhr-cgi-trailer-soundtrack instead?
edit: Nevermind, the link to the actual file is broken. Here, you're free to use http://www.nanoaugur.net/dx3/deusex-hr-cgi-trailer.mp3 instead. :)

Soundtrack is to be found on the "extras" DVD

FAQs

You get the soundtrack with the Augmented Edition of Deus Ex Human Revolution.
It is not yet known if another will be sold separately with more tracks.

* end of moderator edit *

___

I think that one of the strongest points about Deus Ex, over most of this world's games, is that it had an outstandingly good ambient music.

And this music, is what gave the game its "movie" nature. You kinda feel you are playing a movie, not a game, i.e: very immersing!

So i urge the developers, to make it good this time.

I trust Alex Brandon and the rest of the team.

Edit: I found his email, it's: abrandon@midway.com :D Let's send him a request!

StormFront
6th Dec 2007, 13:17
I think that one of the strongest points about Deus Ex, over most of this world's games, is that it had an outstandingly good ambient music.

And this music, is what gave the game its "movie" nature. You kinda feel you are playing a movie, not a game, i.e: very immersing!

Swings and roundabouts though. While I liked the music and still get goosebumps when I hear the main theme like any DX fan, I often wished it would shut the hell up. Having a continuous jungle track that just played along merrily was deeply annoying (esp. Hong Kong! GAH!). Hopefully something more subtle and refined can be implemented with a newer engine (though I still wish the cheap skates had shelled for UEng 3...)

gamer0004
6th Dec 2007, 15:24
I really liked the HK themes. Hope it isn't any more subtle than in DX.
I have confident in the dev team too. Everything you hear or see about this project sounds/looks good.

StormFront
6th Dec 2007, 15:32
I really liked the HK themes. Hope it isn't any more subtle than in DX.
I have confident in the dev team too. Everything you hear or see about this project sounds/looks good.

:confused:

Other than the teaser clip and the engine, we know nothing about this game. Nothing.

We also know not one thing about the team as it is newly formed and this is their first game.

On what is your confidence based, pray tell?

MagnumJoe
6th Dec 2007, 17:54
Having a continuous jungle track that just played along merrily was deeply annoying.

But i think at this stage of the game, it had to be merry, or somewhat merry: because it was like.. a payback start. Like the NYC2 theme: that one is very expressive.

It's a track that gives you optimism about your future plans for the world, and gives you security about the place too: you don't need to lurk much in HK.

And also, once you get in Versalife or the canal, it switches to the dark side at once!

I find this track perfect :D

But i appreciate your opinion: i admit it, sometimes it felt stupid with it playing all the time: it actually distracted me sometimes.

gamer0004
6th Dec 2007, 18:30
:confused:

Other than the teaser clip and the engine, we know nothing about this game. Nothing.

We also know not one thing about the team as it is newly formed and this is their first game.

On what is your confidence based, pray tell?

On what they've said so far. Everything they say in interviews sounds well-conceived (relatively small teams and such), I think the choice of the engine was good (looks like they aim at good gameplay than good graphics) and the trailer is, after you've carefully watched it, great and really DX-like.
Every piece of information so far has been good (not that it means a lot, of course they can still screw it up).

MagnumJoe
6th Dec 2007, 18:49
(not that it means a lot, of course they can still screw it up).

O boy: that's a thriller!

StormFront
6th Dec 2007, 19:20
On what they've said so far. Everything they say in interviews sounds well-conceived (relatively small teams and such), I think the choice of the engine was good (looks like they aim at good gameplay than good graphics) and the trailer is, after you've carefully watched it, great and really DX-like.
Every piece of information so far has been good (not that it means a lot, of course they can still screw it up).

Going for gameplay over graphics? With THAT engine. The engine for which we had to wait an entire generation of graphics cards in order to play it? And they plan to UPGRADE it? Gameplay OVER graphics? You sure?

gamer0004
6th Dec 2007, 20:01
I ment gamaplay above graphics...

MagnumJoe
6th Dec 2007, 20:41
Gameplay OVER graphics? You sure?

Graphics, can't by any means, make me accept a game with bad gameplay.

I can withstand bad graphics, when gameplay is good,
but i can never withstand bad gameplay, even if graphics are super!

comy
6th Dec 2007, 22:13
Deus Ex 1 had superb music!!! It was one of my fovourite soundtracks in the game selection! The NY theme, gloomy, darkish, Hong Kong track was great imho, overall the music contributed so much atmosphere to the game it was impressive.
But then came DX2. I was shocked to find that after finishing the entire game I didn't remember a single track. It was all there in the background, totally ambiental, no it wasnt even ambiental it was like the music wasnt even there... one of biggest dissapointemets...
So I suggest that DX3 music goes back to its roots! :whistle:

MagnumJoe
7th Dec 2007, 04:56
I am with you comy...

StormFront
7th Dec 2007, 06:45
Hold up, I think my post is being missinterpreted. I loved the Deus Ex music too, however there was too much of it IMO. By this I mean that it did not need to play all the time, over and over. I liked that each level had a theme; that was very atmospheric. However I wish there had been more ambient music about the place (tragically a little like IW, but that is not a popular example).

No doubt we will get something quite different musically as the team is not using any version of the UEng which was the defining factor of the Deus Ex music

Red
7th Dec 2007, 09:59
Cold, cyberpunk, partly industrial. I believe that's a good recipé for DeusEx.

(Well, depends on the whole theme of the game... We all remember, DX1 was dark, night-time, misterious, empty, and we all love it because of it.)

MagnumJoe
7th Dec 2007, 11:03
Hold up, I think my post is being missinterpreted. I loved the Deus Ex music too, however there was too much of it IMO. By this I mean that it did not need to play all the time, over and over. I liked that each level had a theme; that was very atmospheric. However I wish there had been more ambient music about the place (tragically a little like IW, but that is not a popular example).

No doubt we will get something quite different musically as the team is not using any version of the UEng which was the defining factor of the Deus Ex music

Ah, i get you.

Bluey71
9th Dec 2007, 15:26
Yup loved the DX 1 music. As for ambient sound, that was pretty good too. I remember listening to the sound of mj12 troopers boots on metal, sure did it for me and put right there in the middle of the action.

Joseph Manderley's Corpse
19th Dec 2007, 15:28
Best video game score ever.

imported_van_HellSing
19th Dec 2007, 16:43
GOD NO

For the most part, Deus Ex had terrible music. There are some good tracks (UNATCO comes to mind), but the rest... Also, the mod technology made it sound outdated even when the first game premiered, nevermind now.

The main theme ranks high on my "worst game music of all time" list. I cannot help but wonder why some people seem to like it - I guess it's an association thing, nostalgia; it reminds us of Deus Ex, and since DX is awesome, the music eventually managed to develop positive connotations too.

DarkForge
19th Dec 2007, 17:05
A matter of preference, I guess, van_HellSing. Personally I loved pretty much all the music in the first game.

Joseph Manderley's Corpse: I don't know if you meant reusing the exact same music, although I'm not sure I'd agree with that. Maybe reuse/adapt one or two pieces where relevant, but not the whole score.

I'd say new music would be needed, but I do think that it should be in the same style as that in the first game. The music in IW wasn't that memorable IMO, and the only IW music I like listening to except the Kidney Thieves songs were the few short pieces that sampled melodies from the first game. I get the approach they were going for in IW, with more natural "atmospheric" music, but I just don't feel it lived up to Hong Kong's awesome oriental tunage or the comfortably familiar tones of the UNATCO HQ. Many is the time I find myself humming along to the music when playing through DX1, something that for the most part I found impossible to do with IW.

Joseph Manderley's Corpse
19th Dec 2007, 17:13
GOD NO

For the most part, Deus Ex had terrible music. There are some good tracks (UNATCO comes to mind), but the rest... Also, the mod technology made it sound outdated even when the first game premiered, nevermind now.

The main theme ranks high on my "worst game music of all time" list. I cannot help but wonder why some people seem to like it - I guess it's an association thing, nostalgia; it reminds us of Deus Ex, and since DX is awesome, the music eventually managed to develop positive connotations too.

It goes to familiarity I guess. If you played HL2, you can't help but notice that the sound effects are the same as the original. The entire franchise is like that.
Did you check out the DX3 teaser? Tell me hearing that theme didn't get your attention...:cool:

AlexBrandon
19th Dec 2007, 17:31
Wow. I'm glad so many were fond of the soundtrack. StormFront, I do have to agree with you. Deus Ex had some good themes and a strong overall musical identity, but the repetition was indeed annoying. Back in those days we didn't pay as much attention to gameplay time against music length. It was more about "eh, two minutes should suffice for this entire level, as long as we have combat and exploration", but if exploration lasted a lot longer than combat, etc.. It's one of the things that taught me to work much more closely with designers on a regular basis as to a level's specific progressions and mechanics.

I also agree with the folks that think the music itself is outdated. It is! While nice for nostalgia, MODs are dead except in handheld, and we even used a live orchestra to record the main theme for the PS2 version.

I'm definitely flattered and honored that Eidos had a nod to the original theme in the trailer. I'm hoping they'll take the memorable bits from the original games (my personal favorite is the title from DX:IW, for example) and skillfully weave them into DX3, while giving the game a feel all it's own and introducing new themes. I'm excited to see what this game will unfold into.

imported_van_HellSing
19th Dec 2007, 17:45
Yup, it did give me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside. But I was glad it was just the beggining ambient tones rather than the main melody ;)

Tyrant Worm
19th Dec 2007, 18:52
As cheesy as it was, I loved the music from the original. Even mentioning the words "Deus Ex" immediately starts the music in my head. When I cover modern China in my history classes, I have the Hong Kong music in my head. I will NEVER forget the music from the first game. I can't remember a single song from the second, however.

Kasjada
19th Dec 2007, 18:57
Well the soundtrack from Deus Ex 1 was really cool (I like to listen to it even when i don't play DX1). I think it would be great to hear the music again in situations that have something to do with DX1. I could imagine that this would be a nice effect concerning the atmosphere.

WhatsHisFace
19th Dec 2007, 19:00
Music is one of those things that carries a spirit with it. Anyone remember how ghostly it was going through JC's UNATCO memory in Deus Ex: Invisible War? For such a short game moment it was really quite impacting. I highly agree with the Topic Starter.

Harakiribert
19th Dec 2007, 20:34
I really love the DX soundtrack. It adds so much to the atmosphere.
I was a bit disappointed from the IW music as I was from the game as well.

I hope the style of the DX3 soundtrack will be more DX1ish again this time.

binaryboy
19th Dec 2007, 21:03
I loved the music and the sound in general. It helped to create the atmosphere of the game.

Harakiribert
19th Dec 2007, 22:49
I love the DX music so much, it's an all time permanent on my mp3 player and my winamp playlist.
Though ingame I usually turn the volume of the music down to better hear the footsteps of my enemies.

ricwhite
20th Dec 2007, 01:29
Just listened to bits of the soundtrack again. Wow. Talk about bringing back the mood and the feeling of the game. Classic music. No other game has ever done that.

StormFront
20th Dec 2007, 02:11
Just listened to bits of the soundtrack again. Wow. Talk about bringing back the mood and the feeling of the game. Classic music. No other game has ever done that.

No other game had good music that was evocative of the game itself? Are you serious?

I know that the DX music was iconic and recognisable (and I want the themes it painted to be carried forward) but the style of them was terrible. Sounded like the midi crap you'd get on the Amiga back in the day

WhatsHisFace
20th Dec 2007, 03:36
No other game had good music that was evocative of the game itself? Are you serious?

I know that the DX music was iconic and recognisable (and I want the themes it painted to be carried forward) but the style of them was terrible. Sounded like the midi crap you'd get on the Amiga back in the day
But on the other side of the fence, it shouldn't sound like the orchestral score from "The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion" either. Some of Deus Ex's songs I simply can't imagine in any non-digital form (Escape from UNATCO) although some could really benefit from some instrumental work.

StormFront
20th Dec 2007, 04:11
But on the other side of the fence, it shouldn't sound like the orchestral score from "The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion" either. Some of Deus Ex's songs I simply can't imagine in any non-digital form (Escape from UNATCO) although some could really benefit from some instrumental work.

And why should you? I would not want to see anything but the most basic themes carried forward in the score as was done fo rthe opening title of IW (which I liked a lot). Reproducing the DX score for a game that was not DX is just stupid. There is no reason that DX3, a completely new game, could not have a full orchestral score. Why are people even discussing the iea of the music being "remade"? It's just a nonesense.

gamer0004
20th Dec 2007, 11:24
I've downloaded both the orchestre files and the original files, and some originals are better and some of the orchestre files are better. It depends on the music, for instance UNATCO HQ. UNATCO HQ is better in the original version, it just sounds better.
Some really great remakes are the piano versions of Sivak Drac: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=111104&songID=1697233

WhatsHisFace
20th Dec 2007, 15:14
And why should you? I would not want to see anything but the most basic themes carried forward in the score as was done fo rthe opening title of IW (which I liked a lot). Reproducing the DX score for a game that was not DX is just stupid. There is no reason that DX3, a completely new game, could not have a full orchestral score. Why are people even discussing the iea of the music being "remade"? It's just a nonesense.

Where did I say they they should just start remaking all the songs? I said I'd like some pivotal themes carried over, as happens with just about any series. You really need to stop putting words in my mouth. I simply said it wouldn't feel like Deus Ex if the entire soundtrack is orchestral.

StormFront
20th Dec 2007, 20:08
Where did I say they they should just start remaking all the songs? I said I'd like some pivotal themes carried over, as happens with just about any series. You really need to stop putting words in my mouth. I simply said it wouldn't feel like Deus Ex if the entire soundtrack is orchestral.

Fair comment,I must have missunderstood your post. I thought you were talking as if it was assumed that DX3 should have the same music as DX1 and you could not bare the thought of them orchestrating it. Got my wires crossed.

Laputin Man
20th Dec 2007, 22:25
Wow. I'm glad so many were fond of the soundtrack. StormFront, I do have to agree with you. Deus Ex had some good themes and a strong overall musical identity, but the repetition was indeed annoying. Back in those days we didn't pay as much attention to gameplay time against music length. It was more about "eh, two minutes should suffice for this entire level, as long as we have combat and exploration", but if exploration lasted a lot longer than combat, etc.. It's one of the things that taught me to work much more closely with designers on a regular basis as to a level's specific progressions and mechanics.

I also agree with the folks that think the music itself is outdated. It is! While nice for nostalgia, MODs are dead except in handheld, and we even used a live orchestra to record the main theme for the PS2 version.

I'm definitely flattered and honored that Eidos had a nod to the original theme in the trailer. I'm hoping they'll take the memorable bits from the original games (my personal favorite is the title from DX:IW, for example) and skillfully weave them into DX3, while giving the game a feel all it's own and introducing new themes. I'm excited to see what this game will unfold into.

Did any of you notice that this is friggin Alex Brandon who helped create the music from Deus Ex and Invisible War??? And no one here has even said so much as hello to him? Anyways big fan of the original music. And if you don't mind if I ask what are you up to now a days?

StromFront, I didn't really think that the music had a midi sound so much as a techno sound. I thought that given the some what futuristic setting, that the music was meant to have a digital or electronic/techno sound. I am not sure if that is what was intended though.

I agree with you that they should be left to do what they want with the music, though I'd like if they gave a wink and a nudge here and there to some of the previous games music. Maybe even something like the original theme song remastered or something.

StormFront
20th Dec 2007, 23:14
Did any of you notice that this is friggin Alex Brandon who helped create the music from Deus Ex and Invisible War??? And no one here has even said so much as hello to him? Anyways big fan of the original music. And if you don't mind if I ask what are you up to now a days?

StromFront, I didn't really think that the music had a midi sound so much as a techno sound. I thought that given the some what futuristic setting, that the music was meant to have a digital or electronic/techno sound. I am not sure if that is what was intended though.

I agree with you that they should be left to do what they want with the music, though I'd like if they gave a wink and a nudge here and there to some of the previous games music. Maybe even something like the original theme song remastered or something.

LOL. Good god, I completely failed to notice! :nut:

Good to see you on the forums Alex. I gather from your comments that you are not involved in anyway with this project then?

Laputin Man
20th Dec 2007, 23:24
LOL. Good god, I completely failed to notice! :nut:

Good to see you on the forums Alex. I gather from your comments that you are not involved in anyway with this project then?

:lmao: I know right? And he was speaking to you directly too. He may not be back after such a poor reception :P Probably thinks we are a big bunch of snobs, lol.

Xcom
21st Dec 2007, 00:13
Did any of you notice that this is friggin Alex Brandon who helped create the music from Deus Ex and Invisible War???

Damn it, no :eek:

Welcome to the forum, Alex. :) Forgive the lack of hospitality, khe khe.. :o

ricwhite
21st Dec 2007, 00:48
Most memorable soundtrack in a game I ever experienced. But if it can be done once, it can be done again. DX3 should be different, but I hope they put some good effort into it and make it memorable. By the way, Alex Brandon, who was a developer of the original score for DX1 is a poster on this forum.

Lucifer
21st Dec 2007, 08:20
The Best music from Deus Ex 1

gamer0004
21st Dec 2007, 11:50
Is it really him or is it an imposer? (could be...).

Xcom
21st Dec 2007, 12:58
He looks authentic enough to me.

ricwhite
21st Dec 2007, 13:38
He looks authentic enough to me.

I'm sure it's him. Go to his profile and then to his home page link.

JSDonald
21st Dec 2007, 16:21
Most memorable soundtrack in a game I ever experienced. But if it can be done once, it can be done again. DX3 should be different, but I hope they put some good effort into it and make it memorable. By the way, Alex Brandon, who was a developer of the original score for DX1 is a poster on this forum.

Really? Under what name?

SageSavage
21st Dec 2007, 17:08
Really? Under what name?..."AlexBrandon"... http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=715111#post715111

Dave W
21st Dec 2007, 17:45
GOD NO

Wow.

All the songs in it are brilliant, Alex did a fantastic job on it, just like he did with IW and any other game he's worked on (Unreal easily has one of the best soundtracks of any game). I don't know why you think the mod technology makes it sound outdated, though. And I like the Deus Ex theme song because it sounds awesome.

pKp
21st Dec 2007, 19:52
I love the DX1 music, but I don't trust myself on it, it's probably only a nostalgy thing.
And people, please, PLEASE, please stop thinking that DX3 must resemble DX1 in every way, Or Else. It's stupid, it's not constructive, and it's not gonna happen. Live with it. Or buy yourself UE3 and remake DX1 in it.

That's a good idea, actually...any takers ? ^^

exmachinad
22nd Dec 2007, 00:18
Would be nice to see a remix, or a similar version, to some of the main tunes from DX.

Soundtrack is very important to a game and care a spirit with it, as some1 posted above.

Like the series Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, for instance. Ozar Midrashim is the music of the main character, Raziel.

And the main theme of the first DX is just awesome.

Dave W
22nd Dec 2007, 00:23
I love the DX1 music, but I don't trust myself on it, it's probably only a nostalgy thing.
And people, please, PLEASE, please stop thinking that DX3 must resemble DX1 in every way, Or Else. It's stupid, it's not constructive, and it's not gonna happen. Live with it. Or buy yourself UE3 and remake DX1 in it.

That's a good idea, actually...any takers ? ^^

It's already happening with UT2004, no reason why it can't happen with UT3.

JulianP
25th Dec 2007, 19:39

This is what I've always thought as well. I think they should try to achieve the same feel with the DX3 soundtrack, but by some other means than using outdated technology. :D

And Alex, I'm a huge huge fan of your work. Great to see you on a forum like this :)

gamer0004
26th Dec 2007, 09:37
Yeah. The music he made is great and I'm still listening to it (even when I'm not playing the game).

LuciusDeBeers
29th Dec 2007, 15:53
I like the score in the original, but I think it would be more atmospheric if it were orchestrated. I'd like the score for DX3 to merge the synthesised tones of the original with some orchestrated parts to reflect the theme of the augmenting of organic and synthetic- both within the game's characters and the the world they inhabit.

Necros
30th Dec 2007, 02:08
Well the soundtrack from Deus Ex 1 was really cool (I like to listen to it even when i don't play DX1).
Me too, great music indeed. :cool: I hope some of the tunes will be reused as well as some sound effects, like in Thief 3. :)

MagnumJoe
31st Dec 2007, 14:40
For sure Deus Ex's score is the best!

From the dramatic point of view, and the pure musical point of view! IT should be studied in colleges!

But i'd rather that they keep the "Originality", the "Coherence", and the "Harmony" of the music with the events happening in the new game.

CJ Denton
3rd Jan 2008, 11:30
I think reworking the music in much higher quality would be good, and theres no need to keep all, or even most of it. Its more about theme and atmosphere than anything else.

Who didnt feel an awesome buzz when the title music from DX1 chimed in over "What we are is but a stepping stone to what we can become?". If I was given to vulgar expressions I would say I nearly creamed myself.

The Edge
7th Jan 2008, 19:17
Yeah. The music he made is great and I'm still listening to it (even when I'm not playing the game).

Oh yes. The music is truly great. I play the soundtrack in my car audio STILL TODAY. And I think the DX Soundtrack is one of the best scores ever written for a game. I hope Mr. Brandon will be onboard the DX:3-ship !!!!

The Edge

Unstoppable
8th Jan 2008, 05:43

Many more people than you perhaps realize are very fond of the music you and your team came up with in DX 1 and DX: IW. If you could do some music for DX 3 that would be awesome.

I remember the first time I walked into Unatco HQ about 6 years ago. I heard the Unatco HQ soundtrack and I felt like I was in a live movie. It was unreal and felt totally immersive.

Without the soundtrack that DX 1 had, it would of only been half the game. I also enjoy very much the DX: IW title soundtrack.

Last but not least what about when I heard Jock yelling as he dropped me inside Area 51. Queue the Area 51 music and Jock's copter blows up. That was totally epic. All I wanted were two men. Bob Page and definately Walton Simmons as he mocked me.

GundamXXX
8th Jan 2008, 21:12
I love the soundtrack, its one of the only 3 I have ever played (others were Driver and Half-Life during Halloween - it rocks :P)
Dont know wether Im allowed to ask it but does anyone have the soundtrack for me? My game disc is in Australia and Im in Holland at the moment :P
(already had to be abit naughty!)

imported_van_HellSing
8th Jan 2008, 21:31
http://www.deusex-machina.com/music/

Inane Mythos
9th Jan 2008, 16:43

Um, the game engine has nothing to do with the music used these days. Maybe when the Atari first came out but not now. Any music can be used in any game, its the Atmosphere + Music + Setting factor which defines wether it's suitable or not.

jordan_a
9th Jan 2008, 16:54
According to the current trend, I don't think DX3's music will have the same "video game style" music DX1 had. It will be more elaborate (which doesn't mean better) just like what we've heard in IW. I don't know if I'm clear but to my mind musics in games tend to be more "serious" these days... :D

JulianP
9th Jan 2008, 17:11
I just hope that they won't go the epic-orchestral-soundtrack route. I'm sick and tired of hearing stuff like that. Leave that out of videogames, unless it reallyreally fits the overall concept (fantasy games, RTS games with huge battles etc, not Deus Ex). :/

lbhearn
9th Jan 2008, 19:14
In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with a new (orchestral) score for the game. Many memorable movies themes are orchestral (star wars?), and that (as I see it) is what many of you seem to want in the game; a movies feel to it.

Not to say the game should sound like a John Williams score, just of the instrumentation. I do however think there should still be hints of the original style of music in the 3 game.
I am not sure how many of you played Diablo 1 and 2, but the 2nd game gave hints the original theme through out parts of the game.
Another aspect to be considered to please both sides of the field here would be to use an orchestral score and have maybe have synthesized chords to harmonized with the orchestra. It would give it both that ambient feel of the original game yet not still have something new and exciting to offer.

Unstoppable
9th Jan 2008, 20:04
I'd like a rock and roll remix of the Unatco HQ theme hehe.

imported_van_HellSing
9th Jan 2008, 20:50
About orchestral stuff - I wouldn't want to hear a DX game scored by Jeremy Soule or something, but I wouldn't complain about, say, a string quartet accompanying an electronic score - think Requiem for a Dream.

JulianP
10th Jan 2008, 01:47
Yeah, that could work very well. Nothing wrong with acoustic instruments, but orchestral epicness is a whole different story.

Mengioto
10th Jan 2008, 16:02
oh my god, does anyone have the music sheets for the piano version of the soundtrack??? I really would like to learn how to play it!!!

It sounds quite easy to play (usually the case, but then when I try to play it I'm like HUH?) the left hand is, I think just an octave with sixteenth notes??(not sure about that, still am learning:))

I swear, if I were able to play it on the piano, I couldn't stop playing it! :p and Hi alex:)

jordan_a
15th Jan 2008, 16:44
DX2's musics disappointed me because they were too ambient, setting musics. You just forgot them. DX1's ones were more video game-like and well composed: you just remember them.

rokstrombo
21st Feb 2008, 15:03
I loved the music in both games. The music in the original Deus Ex was more thematic and memorable than Invisible War. But I have to say the ambient music of Invisible War definitely helped to set the mood of the maps.

I agree that the MODs are dated, but I thought they worked out pretty well in the original game given the futuristic theme. I liked the creepy organ sound in the title theme. It just seemed kind of like the music that people would come up with in that setting, given that they were too poor to buy real instruments ;).

Another game which I thought had an amazing soundtrack was the first Hitman game. That was quite thematic too (and involved separate exploration and action tracks). Like the original Deus Ex music, it really set the mood and context of the levels. The soundtracks for the later Hitman games however, were really extravagant and too similar to movie soundtracks, in my opinion. I don't like it when composers make games sound like movies.

What I would like to hear in the next Deus Ex game is a combination of the more thematic tracks in Deus Ex with the ambient tracks in Invisible War. Personally speaking I tend to associate memories with music, so I would love a soundtrack that I can remember! But I agree with the views that a 2 minute anthem repeated continually in a 2 hour level has the potential to get annoying. It actually didn't get annoying in Deus Ex or Hitman, but these were really good anthems (and broken up by action and dialogue)!

WildcatPhoenix
21st Feb 2008, 16:06
Personally I loved the electronic feel of the original soundtrack. Three tracks in particular stood out to me:

1. UNATCO HQ- Like a previous poster said, the music here pulled me out of my chair and put me right into J.C.'s shoes. I felt like I was in the middle of a great sci-fi movie, and isn't that kind of immersion the entire point of video gaming?

2. Wan Chai Market- I love how Alex integrated traditional Chinese meter and instrumentation with the electronica of the DX soundtrack. Hearing this music brings me right back to the first time I wandered around Wan Chai, marvelling at all of the NPCs and scrambling for a crowbar to beat the **** out of Louis Pan.

3. Chateau DuClare- My absolute favorite track. Roaming through an empty chateau with only Nicolette and the dark, ominous voice of Icarus to keep me company, just a beautiful moment. I still play this track sometimes when I go to sleep at night.

Here's hoping DX3 does aim for a memorable soundtrack. I personally didn't hate IW's music (about the only thing I didn't hate from that game), but all I remember is the theme...which was quite nice.

-Wildcat

Gary_Savage
1st Mar 2008, 02:31
1. UNATCO HQ- Like a previous poster said, the music here pulled me out of my chair and put me right into J.C.'s shoes. I felt like I was in the middle of a great sci-fi movie, and isn't that kind of immersion the entire point of video gaming?
-Wildcat

I UNATCO HQ music right after the prison-break mission does this for me.

The Wan Chai Market music is my all time favorite, though; and the coolest music, for me, was that short tune that plays during firefights in NYC, the first time you get there. I remember I used to get into firefights just to pause the game and enjoy the music.

rhalibus
1st Mar 2008, 03:39
Fantastic job on the music! The DX soundtrack (which comes with the GOTY version of DX) is the only game soundtrack on permanent rotation on my system. I listen to it when I'm writing or storyboarding (I'm a filmmaker).

My favorite tracks are Liberty Island, The Synapse (or "Hong Kong Streets"; the theme everybody remembers), Majestic 12 Labs, Return to NYC, and especially the creepy Area 51 music. It's impossible to hear Liberty Island's "B E, F# B" note progression without recalling the spirit of Deus Ex...

I also appreciate Dan Gardopee's contributions for Naval Base and Vandenburg--very ambient and subtle.

The only complaint to the DX soundtrack is that it only includes the instrumental version of the Main Title--I actually like the original, with its funky alternate middle theme.

If you ever need a few thousand DX fans to petition for you to be hired again for DX3, I'm sure that won't be a problem...:)

Follow up note: If you listen to Alex's album "Era's End" on his website, you'll swear it has a similar mood as his DX work. As far as I'm concerned, Alex is the music of Deus Ex.

lightbringerrr
1st Mar 2008, 05:14
DX1 = Reeves Gabriels( Bowie's guitarist for you un-initiated folk ); great music for a game, and definatley NOT an afterthought.

DX2 = KIDNEY THIEVES! "My God Paints A Pretty Pict-cha'"! Indeed.

DX3 = I'm voting for a one-time partnership between Skinny Puppy and Dirty Rig; THAT would seal the deal.

lightbringerrr
1st Mar 2008, 05:30
...Just for ****s and giggles; I want at least ONE bar scene with a NG Resonance-style Holoprojector Jukebox, that has Tom Jones singing "She's A Lady"!!!!

Mengioto
2nd Mar 2008, 16:33
LOL

oh I love the music inside the NYCbar and the Paris Cathedral music, with the organ :)

I feel like playing the game again!! But I already know what I'd do in certain places, so it kinda spoils it.. no surprises anymore (bumpin into a suit) and already knowing what certain patterns are and stuff, like where I'm supposed to go.

Azrepheal
2nd Mar 2008, 23:36
Get up
Get on up
Get up
Get on up
Get up
Stay on the scene
Get up
Like Deus Ex Machina

:whistle: :whistle:

lightbringerrr
3rd Mar 2008, 00:13
LOL

oh I love the music inside the NYCbar and the Paris Cathedral music, with the organ :)

I feel like playing the game again!! But I already know what I'd do in certain places, so it kinda spoils it.. no surprises anymore (bumpin into a suit) and already knowing what certain patterns are and stuff, like where I'm supposed to go.

You sir, are due for a round of Lightbringerrr's patented Deus Ex: Bloodbath!
As I posted at "DX1 Reveiew":

"The rules are simple; go in to Godmode and shoot EVERYTHING THAT MOVES!
It's hilarious, and the conversation cutscenes, with anyone and EVERYONE riddling you with ammo as you have a nice, calm conversation with whomever, will leave you in a fit of pants-pissing laughter"!

Now Boot-Up, and get to killing!!!

Vestu
11th Mar 2008, 15:59
I simply LOVED DX background music. In fact, it's the only game of which soundtrack really struck me after the nes-era lol.

I still occasionally have some DX tunes playing on my ipod. Especially UNATCO HQ, all NYC, Liberty Island and that seemingly controversial, uplifting HK theme.

DX music wasn't TOO ambient but still laying low enough on the background not to annoy or distract you. I think it's impossible to have an equal audio experience on any game any more :p but I hope they'll come up with something DX1ish on DX3.

Edx
11th Mar 2008, 18:52
I simply LOVED DX background music. In fact, it's the only game of which soundtrack really struck me after the nes-era lol.

I still occasionally have some DX tunes playing on my ipod. Especially UNATCO HQ, all NYC, Liberty Island and that seemingly controversial, uplifting HK theme.

DX music wasn't TOO ambient but still laying low enough on the background not to annoy or distract you. I think it's impossible to have an equal audio experience on any game any more :p but I hope they'll come up with something DX1ish on DX3.

What confuses me was why Invisible War music is so unimpressive compared to DX1. I guess they didnt want any melodic stuff at all, which si a shame because we know Alex Brandon can do it so well. I loved the main titles with the vocal section and its annoying we dont have any reprise or any continuation of that. I also missed some of the synth elements that obviously the tracker format actually helped, but as he didnt use it, some of the sounds just sounded bad rather that interesting and unique. But look at the intro FMV to DX Invisible War, I wanted to hear music like that. I liked that oboe playing the main theme! Shame.

mouse
11th Mar 2008, 19:40
Mates, please don't mix your grudge against DX2 with the actual quality of the music. I have to 'confess' that I like the DX2 ambient more than the of the first game. Much depends on personal taste, yes, but I think that the DX1 music is often to intrusive and misplaced. The worst part was in HK Wan Chai, where I had to turn it of lest I go mad... The music in the Lucky Money was Ok, although I don't like techno

Edx
11th Mar 2008, 20:14
Mates, please don't mix your grudge against DX2 with the actual quality of the music.
Actually I never played DX2! I didnt have a pixel shader card capable of playing it. I really should get a better card, Im sure I would like it a lot more than some people here have made out.

I have to 'confess' that I like the DX2 ambient more than the of the first game. Much depends on personal taste, yes, but I think that the DX1 music is often to intrusive and misplaced.

Some of it was yes, sure, going into some kind of dystopian rave when you were fighting was cool ..sometimes and maybe at the beginning, but I wish it didnt after a while. I was a bit annoying having the music start just because an ememy spotted me, it also alerted me to the fact that they had when otherwise they would have caught me off guard when I didnt notice.

The worst part was in HK Wan Chai, where I had to turn it of lest I go mad...
hehe, i loved the HK music!! :D

My main problem with Invisible War music is that its so unmemorable, Im not really that impressed with the ambient fx and at one point I hear Korg Trition pizzicato strings (which sucks). The thing about Alex' MODS is the sounds sounded more electronic and so worked, rather than just sounding fake. The oboe sound is bad in DX1, but it didnt sound like an oboe, it sounded like some kind of synth and so was cool. I think alex should have used a mix of tracker and normal MIDI sequencing.

The only standout tracks are the main titles with that gorgeous vocal part in the middle which, like I said, is never reprised (or at least not on the tracks I found on the internet), the intro cinematic music and the end credits. I lstened to all of them yesterday really trying to find one I really liked. Its not like I dislike them, they just dont do anything to me.

EDIT: Im currently making a sample library cd Im calling "Dystopia" which has lots of sound effects (musical and foley). I am heavily inspired by Deus Ex, and listen to DX 1 (and the main titles and end credits from IW) music in the background when I am creating the art for it. I just keep thinking, "how would this sound work in the DX world?". :p

Ed

Gary_Savage
11th Mar 2008, 21:04
I was a bit annoying having the music start just because an ememy spotted me, it also alerted me to the fact that they had when otherwise they would have caught me off guard when I didnt notice.

I often end up using the change in music, from ambient to combat music, to know when the enemies have spotted me, or are still looking for me, and when they have stopped. This sort of thing spoils the gaming experience for a game like DX, where your skills (I'm not talking about the skill point system, which definitely a must) and your cunning should get you through the day (or night). I would suggest (for DX3) not starting the combat music until after you see an enemy NPC/camera/bot/turret who is looking at you, or is looking for you. As for stopping the combat music, I am not sure. I don't want it to be an indicator for when the enemy is no longer looking. Perhaps the combat music should stop a set few seconds after the following conditions are met:
-you do not see any enemies looking at you.
-you do not see any enemies looking for you.
-you do not see guns being fired, or bullets/tracers flying.
-you do not see objects being hit by bullets.
-you do not hear gun firing.
-enemy alarms have stopped (I am not too sure on this one).

EDIT: The ambient music could start a set few seconds after the combat music stops (a suspenseful period without music, with the uncertainty of not knowing whether the coast is clear). This is because I'm not sure I will like it if the music keeps changing every few seconds, from my leaning and peaking.

hehe, i loved the HK music!! :D

This is my favourite music, though I sometimes get a little annoyed, since I listen to it very often.

Edx
13th Mar 2008, 17:47
I often end up using the change in music, from ambient to combat music, to know when the enemies have spotted me, or are still looking for me, and when they have stopped. This sort of thing spoils the gaming experience for a game like DX, where your skills (I'm not talking about the skill point system, which definitely a must) and your cunning should get you through the day (or night). I would suggest (for DX3) not starting the combat music until after you see an enemy

I havent played Halo 3, but I hear their dynamic music is very sophisticated. Can anyone report how well that works, or how it works and what its problems are (if any)?

You are right though, its not good to let people know an enemy has seen them by switching the music espcially in a game like DX.

DaRkJaWs
14th Mar 2008, 04:30
I also loved Brandon's music, but there are other options as well if Alex can't spend the time to work for the new Deus Ex. Steve Foxon, the guy who created the music for Deus Ex Zodiac and Deus Ex Redsun2020, also has an immense amount of skill. I particularly liked his Zodiac music. This is info just so mods are aware of him. Here's his website:

http://www.sfsounds.co.uk/

pauldenton
14th Mar 2008, 10:54

Laputinman i feel you have said all that needed to be said.

also Alex Brandon, welcome and thank you.

jordan_a
14th Mar 2008, 12:20
One guy I LOVE: Grant Kirkhope

# Star Fox Adventures (2002)
# Banjo-Tooie (2000)
# Perfect Dark (2000)
# Banjo-Kazooie (1998)
# GoldenEye 007 (1997)

:nut:

Wgibbsw
14th Mar 2008, 21:17
Wow yeah hello I don't know if you're responsible for it but the UNATCO theme was brilliant :rolleyes:

AlexBrandon
4th Apr 2008, 04:56
I do have to set the record straight, it was Michiel Van Den Bos who wrote UNATCO's theme. And I loved it plenty. Very "Escape from New York", which for all it's spartan composition is still one of my favorite soundtracks.

Kevyne-Shandris
4th Apr 2008, 19:02
I do have to set the record straight, it was Michiel Van Den Bos who wrote UNATCO's theme. And I loved it plenty. Very "Escape from New York", which for all it's spartan composition is still one of my favorite soundtracks.

S-m-a-l-l world, as I was just thinking about you today after spending 6hrs going through ALL those tracks, trying to separate the main theme from the action and ambient ones.

God, I hope you're working on the Deus Ex 3 soundtrack. Deus Ex 3 may not be a worthy successor, but at least the music would be good! :D

Got to give credit to Eidos on their game soundtracks. Picked up a Commandos game and it has some good diddies in there, too.

Larington
4th Apr 2008, 20:11
Glad to see some of the rampant fanboyism (Sorry folks, but there is quite a bit of gushing in this thread) didn't scare you off. Heres hoping you get to contribute to the music for DX3, certainly your opening post demonstrated you learned a lot from working on the original (With regards to how a 2/3 minute ambient piece isn't necessarily long enough in a game like DX1 specifically).

Kevyne-Shandris
4th Apr 2008, 21:07
Glad to see some of the rampant fanboyism (Sorry folks, but there is quite a bit of gushing in this thread) didn't scare you off. Heres hoping you get to contribute to the music for DX3, certainly your opening post demonstrated you learned a lot from working on the original (With regards to how a 2/3 minute ambient piece isn't necessarily long enough in a game like DX1 specifically).

It's not "gushing". I don't play the game as much as I listen to the music!

Wanted to separate the tracks to get more, since the GOTY disk doesn't include them all (and some of the action themes are memorable - OceanLab action themes come to mind).

But going back to read the other posts there's one thing more I need to add for Alex: longer game times = the same music in DX2. Such themes aren't remembered -- and frankly only one part of one song from that entire game did I like (not even the Enya like title was good, IMO). No jingle to catch the ear or the heart.

DX1 had jingles similiar to remembering a Gilbert and Sullivan opera, word by word -- and the music fit the game to a "T", as it's a cyberpunk and the computer techno music was spot on. DX2 was an orchestral rendition (and it's hard as a violinist to admit it, but sometimes strings just don't fit!).

Larington
4th Apr 2008, 21:19
Heh, I wasn't referring to that, that simply comes under the mandate of organising your music collection and I've done that for several game soundtracks, not just the Deus Ex 1 music (Yeah, I'm sorta guilty of that myself), thats not gushing in my mind.

jordan_a
5th Apr 2008, 19:22
I just hope we'll be given a true video game sountrack and not some mere athmospheric/ambient music. :rolleyes:

Vasarto
5th Apr 2008, 22:02
Fantastic job on the music! The DX soundtrack (which comes with the GOTY version of DX) is the only game soundtrack on permanent rotation on my system. I listen to it when I'm writing or storyboarding (I'm a filmmaker).

My favorite tracks are Liberty Island, The Synapse (or "Hong Kong Streets"; the theme everybody remembers), Majestic 12 Labs, Return to NYC, and especially the creepy Area 51 music. It's impossible to hear Liberty Island's "B E, F# B" note progression without recalling the spirit of Deus Ex...

I also appreciate Dan Gardopee's contributions for Naval Base and Vandenburg--very ambient and subtle.

The only complaint to the DX soundtrack is that it only includes the instrumental version of the Main Title--I actually like the original, with its funky alternate middle theme.

If you ever need a few thousand DX fans to petition for you to be hired again for DX3, I'm sure that won't be a problem...:)

Follow up note: If you listen to Alex's album "Era's End" on his website, you'll swear it has a similar mood as his DX work. As far as I'm concerned, Alex is the music of Deus Ex.

I liked all of those too but the Newyork Music and the Canal Music in Hong Kong was really great as well. Pretty much all the music untill after paris is awsome..than it's just avarage.

Larington
5th Apr 2008, 23:13
Personally my favourite is easily the music from the sequences in France/Paris, those tracks carried so much of the mood that was reflected in the scenes that those levels wouldn't have been half as good without it.

Vasarto
7th Apr 2008, 02:41
As long as the Newyork music is simular to that of in DX1 and they use the same beginning Theam song as in Number 1 than Im ok....god I love that
beginning theam song.

puzl
7th Apr 2008, 14:09
It's funny, cos the first time I played DX all those years back, I actually completed it with the music disabled! Absolute madness now that I look back and realise just how symbiotic the music is with the gameplay and story. Indeed, half the reason DX holds such prestige in my memory is because of how brilliant the overall soundtrack was. Just like I remember the first time I entered UNATCO HQ every time I hear the music for that stage, it also works in reverse - I can't think of UNATCO without humming the melody and whistling the pads of the music. Now multiply this by almost every piece of music in the game (a lot!) and it is no wonder that this game and it's soundtrack has a warm place in our hearts.

I'm looking forward to DX3, but thank god i'm not the one developing or making music for it! They have a lot of responsibility on their shoulders :D

Vasarto
7th Apr 2008, 22:21
Has anyone else been listining to the Deus Ex 1 music lately? I dunno why but All this talk about Deus Ex 1 really wants me to play that game. That and listin to the full soundtrack of Deus Ex 1 on my Zune.

Gary_Savage
8th Apr 2008, 01:53
I'm sure a few people are, if not a lot. Someone mentioned listening to it in the car. I, myself, listen to it in my lab: it makes me feel like Tracer Tong. The Synapse is my multipurpose piece (I use it during experiments, as well as when venting out my frustrations from failed experiments -- yeah, I am a bit like Bob Page, too :D). Other than that, I listen to the main theme, and the pieces that incorporate the starting tune of the theme. Besides that, I like the combat music of NYC (first time you get there), and Area 51 Bunker combat music.

Vasarto
8th Apr 2008, 02:06
I'm sure a few people are, if not a lot. Someone mentioned listening to it in the car. I, myself, listen to it in my lab: it makes me feel like Tracer Tong. The Synapse is my multipurpose piece (I use it during experiments, as well as when venting out my frustrations from failed experiments -- yeah, I am a bit like Bob Page, too :D). Other than that, I listen to the main theme, and the pieces that incorporate the starting tune of the theme. Besides that, I like the combat music of NYC (first time you get there), and Area 51 Bunker combat music.

Your lab? Are you a sceintist or something? If so thats prett cool!

Gary_Savage
8th Apr 2008, 02:13
I'm a graduate student, if that answers your question.

Vasarto
8th Apr 2008, 02:16

Oh thats cool. Anyway I best not strey from the topic.

The ambiant music in Deus Ex 1 was speical. I hope they keep the same feel
as they did in the first game but I don't know if they can repeat it again. At least not to the same level of degree as they did for DX1. It's pretty hard to
re-create perfection if you ask me.

jordan_a
12th Apr 2008, 14:05
God, I hope you're working on the Deus Ex 3 soundtrack.I hope too.

But I understand M.Brandon composed the music of DX:IW and it was very different from the first DX which I prefered because it was punchy and memorable, a true video game soundtrack. IW's music was too movie like, slow, discreet, ambient.

Why did the instructions about the soundtrack changed so much between the first DX and the second?:mad2:

The first time I visited NY back in 2002 or something and found myself in Battery Park I had my enormous CD player, launched the adequate track and enjoyed.

But on IW except for Trier and Seattle - City Hub & Emerald Suites it's... average.

pHdeus
15th Apr 2008, 01:45
Alexander Brandon's music is part of the DNA of Deus EX, and perhaps JC Denton himself. I do not believe that the two can be separated and I would very much hope our friends in Montreal know this also. It might not have been Alexander Brandon's requested legacy, but I can think of much worse.

And with Deus EX 3 there is another canvas on which to create another superb artistic balance between game and music, which is one of the crowning achievements of the series.

Alexander Brandon is Deus EX and vice versa. They have the same musical DNA.

Larington
16th Apr 2008, 22:39
As for the apparent difficulty with which folks have for remembering the soundtrack in IW, my conclusion now is that whilst DE:IW had melodic elements in pretty much all the different soundtrack elements, where the score let itself down was that all the melodic sections are heavily underplayed, whereas with DX1 its the reverse.

jcp28
3rd May 2008, 17:39
Whoever Eidos Montreal hires to do the soundtrack, they better make it more ambient like DX 1. I loved the track that plays on the start-up screen and the Battery Park and Paris soundtracks in particular fit the mood of the levels that they played on.

HouseOfPain
4th May 2008, 16:54
Swings and roundabouts though. While I liked the music and still get goosebumps when I hear the main theme like any DX fan, I often wished it would shut the hell up. Having a continuous jungle track that just played along merrily was deeply annoying (esp. Hong Kong! GAH!). Hopefully something more subtle and refined can be implemented with a newer engine (though I still wish the cheap skates had shelled for UEng 3...)

BLAH! Unreal engine! No way! Have you seen the loading times for the textures? It's abysmal.

Dertalix
7th May 2008, 06:35
Having just finished IW, I must say that I really love its soundtrack. I think it fits IW nicely.

lightbringerrr
7th May 2008, 06:49
Having just finished IW, I must say that I really love its soundtrack. I think it fits IW nicely.

AAAAAMEN!

And by God, I'll repeat it again;
"My God Paints a Pretty Pict-cha"!!!

Maximus
7th May 2008, 07:09
I would love to go to some markets in Wan Chai in Hong Kong and play the Synapse. That would be insanely awesome, a life goal if ever i've had one :)

lightbringerrr
7th May 2008, 07:10
I want a balance between the two extremes.

In the first game, we had ambient music for every mission. The DOWNSIDE was that it became, well; ambient. When the action started, I'll never forget hearing that SAME damned " blah-blah-blah-blah, BLAH-BLAH-BLAH-BLAH(louder)theme-music!
Shoot an enemy from the rooftop in NYC?
"blah-blah-blah-blah, BLAH-BLAH-BLAH-BLAH"!!! ANNOYING! Yet, helpful to know when you've aroused attention and need to hide and/or duck.

The APPLICATION of the music has to evolve. I WANT the ambient aspect, but it can not just sit there until the action kicks in. NOR, can it give hints as to what you may or may not have just discovered in your current mission.
No "I just found the goblet, so the music now changes" crap, right?

I once again call for a collaboration between Skinny Puppy and Dirty Rig.

Ideally, I'd like to see moments when both Skinny Puppy and Dirty Rig kind of cross lines for the scene at hand, but according to the mission or place; one group favors the other.
And for the selected times when things must get down and dirty, it's a full-on meeting of the minds between the two.
And a guest appearance between Ogre and Kory Klarke!!!

lightbringerrr
7th May 2008, 07:26

Soon, you will be 'Black Choppered' to S-4!

Vodka0850
12th May 2008, 18:08
The music was pretty cool, but I played DE 1 with the music off too (unless I was in one of the clubs, it was just be too weird to have people dancing to nothing at all, lol).

The cool thing about the DE1 soundtrack, was that the game was playable without it. It sort of made the game a bit creepier (both the Half-Life games did this, and I think it worked pretty good) and more dark IMO. And when the music was on it did definitely contribute to the game. But no music in DE:IW didn't really fit right with me for some reason, I don't know why, and the music was not even that good at all. The reason might be that DE1 was just so good at creating that dark futuristic world that it really didn't need any help from the music, and that the music just topped everything off, whereas DE:IW I thought was just very confusing and I found myself half-way not caring about what was going on. IW sort of felt more like a homework assignment really, like something I had to do, not something I wanted to do.

rhalibus
12th May 2008, 20:07
I always thought it was weird as well that if you lowered the music then the night clubs would sound like soft jazz venues--I hope Eidos Montreal understands for DX3 that any night club music should be part of the sound effects, not the sound track...

I actually enjoyed much of the DX:IW soundtrack as well; some of the ambient music (esp. during the Antarctica levels) was very effective. But there's a reason I've got Alex Brandon's DX1 soundtrack on permanent rotation on my stereo--It takes me back to the Deus Ex universe every time I hear it.

And also the soundtrack CD came with the DX:GOTY edition. But still...:)

Larington
26th May 2008, 08:55
Yeah, tried loading up DX1 on this laptop since in the weekends I'm at parents house and can't access my main computer without taking a long train journey. Sadly, DX1 doesn't like my integrated graphics solution, which is a bit of a nuisance - Wish I'd been a bit more careful about choosing the laptop back in october. The game either runs over fast or over slow, usually over fast and skips frames in the process, oh well.

Doesn't have problems with Anachronox though (One of my other personal favourites) so I'm playing through that instead.

sea
26th May 2008, 14:21
It's funny that people talk about ambient music. Deus Ex has a bit of it, but honestly most of it is fairly upbeat electro-pop-sounding music... not that I don't like it, but it all has a very strong sense of melody and honestly a lot of it is pretty cheesy (the Hong Kong theme in particular is rather hilarious). Meanwhile, some of the music, like at the Statue at the beginning of the game, is excellent.

What I think is clear is that the following things need to be preserved for Deus Ex 3: Dynamics. Ambience is nice, but music needs to pick up in combat and then fade out again afterwards. Music that changes when the player gets involved in significant conversations can work very nicely as well, like at UNATCO early in the first game.
Strong melody. Despite its cheesiness, the best part of Deus Ex's music is how memorable it is. This is largely accomplished through very simple and fairly repetitive yet catchy hooks. Probably part of the reason why it winds up sounding cheesy as well, but it's nonetheless important. Pretty much all of this should be minor-key, as well.
Almost entirely synth-driven and free of percussion. This should be self-explanatory, but Deus Ex's music is so distinctive largely because of the synths it uses, as opposed to contemporary and classical instruments. No rousing orchestral scores, please, but no crappy electro-metal like Nine Inch Nails or Sonic Youth either.Stick by these tenets, and I think you're headed down the right track.

Pois0n
26th May 2008, 17:36
I didn't realise how big a part the music played in Deus Ex until I first heard that signature tune in the second half of the trailer. That was quite a fanboy moment. ;)

jcp28
27th May 2008, 02:04
Yeah, I think including metal would not fit the scope of the game, unless you happen to be escaping from somewhere in a vehicle and you're being chased by tons of bad guys. But if something like that is possible, it should be a choice, not something you're forced to do. Besides, I think techno-metal has a place in this game.

J.CDenton
27th May 2008, 09:21
Putting metal or techno could only fits in places like nightboxes or bar.

I hope that the music composer will do a great job about that music. I want to listen again to a soundtrack equaling DX1's one.

sea
28th May 2008, 15:29
I love metal; I'm mostly a fan of black, death, folk, Viking, and progressive. I also tend to enjoy some ambient electronic music, like the stuff produced by Ulver. However, I can't help but cringe when some cheap drum machine and chugging power chords force their way into my RPG. It suits some games, certainly (a few racing games work well with metal-type stuff), but not all of them. Just because I like a particular genre of music doesn't mean I want to hear it all the time, especially in a completely ridiculous context. In the case of Deus Ex, that junk has no place in the game, except perhaps as noise in the world itself. As background music? Hell no.

JaYp146
28th May 2008, 15:30
PLEASE re-hire Alexander Brandon to compose the soundtrack for Deus Ex 3.

Larington
28th May 2008, 16:03
Yeah, I would love to see how hes progressed since the DX1 soundtrack in respect to what he'd do differently now (Aside from making each track longer to account for the loop effect)...

redmanc
9th Jun 2008, 12:28
Id like to hear a remix of the first DX game music, not the same, but along the same lines. When I think of Deus ex I think of that startup music and in game ambience. Would be a good idea to make that a constant through all the DX games. What? IW? not heard of it mate....

GioChrono
11th Jun 2008, 17:06
I have to say that I am playing Deus Ex 1 soundtrack right now as I work. I play the Invisible War soundtrack more often though but that is because it doesn't have any combat tracks so it plays well in the background while I'm sketching or rendering and doesn't break my mood.

I think I have probably played the IW soundtrack more than any other...ever.
It has been a real inspiration while creating my webcomic The Talos Project (http://www.thetalosproject.com) and really get's me in the mood (for creative work that is).

Cheers to Alex B for his contribution to IMO two great games. I enjoyed both games very much although the original far more because of its greater depth and because we could keep our own notes in the game which made you feel like you were having to actually work to solve things more...anyway, that's for another thread.

I hope the new soundtrack does the franchise justice and I will want to download it as soon as it's available anyway. Wouldn't mind a Bladerunner Trilogy style soundtrack with a remastered originals and the new music plus some extra inspired by type of work. Although that depends possibly if A Brandon is involved in the end or not. Too many unknowns at this point.

Gio

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee235/Giochrono/Talos_anim_Banner.gif (http://www.thetalosproject.com)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
11th Jun 2008, 21:46
PLEASE re-hire Alexander Brandon to compose the soundtrack for Deus Ex 3.

Yes, I raise my hand to vote for this too. :)

J.CDenton
11th Jun 2008, 22:28
DX2 was more for atmosphere than for real action. Some of the music worked well but I truly would like another DX1 like soundtrack.

jordan_a
11th Jun 2008, 23:36
I say be honest with what you're doing: a video game needs a true video game soundtrack.

Loved the Uncharted (PS3) soundtrack by Greg Edmonson, it really is a brilliant job.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
18th Jun 2008, 22:17
Suggested music/composer?
Yeah, well if it isn't to be Alex Brandon again, I think someone like Rhys Fulber (Conjure One) could do an excellent job. :cool:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
18th Jun 2008, 22:31
I say be honest with what you're doing: a video game needs a true video game soundtrack.

Loved the Uncharted (PS3) soundtrack by Greg Edmonson, it really is a brilliant job.

OMG, yes, Greg Edmonson is a fabulous composer! :cool:

serene_chaos
19th Jun 2008, 03:29
correct me if i'm mistaken, but didn't Alexander Brandon appear on this forum a while ago?
Anyone remember what he said then? I don't.

jcp28
19th Jun 2008, 21:56
I read back through this thread some time ago. He said something to the extent that he wouldn't be able to make music in the same way he did for DX1, because the industry standards for making music for video games have changed. Something abouth the synths involved. Like you, I'm too lazy to look back.

And he also said that he wouldn't be working on DX 3.

gamer0004
20th Jun 2008, 08:52

Here's what he said.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
20th Jun 2008, 10:09
Thank you for finding Alex's original reply. :)

I agree that the game should retain elements of the original music but with a more updated sound. :cool:

As Alex won't be back to do DX3, I would like to suggest the composer Jesper Kyd.
http://www.jesperkyd.com/

He has already created music for games including Assassins Creed and Hitman.
Eidos are familiar with his work. :)

I think Jesper is FANTASTIC! Very versatile in his style... I hope Eidos use him again.

sea
20th Jun 2008, 11:34
I fully support Jesper Kyd for Deus Ex 3. He's a brilliant composer and has created some very original and memorable music, specifically in the Hitman series. He is definitely familiar with ambient soundscapes. So long as he can keep the feel of Deus Ex intact, I am all for him.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
20th Jun 2008, 12:04
Cool!!!!

That's two votes for JESPER KYD.... he's the man! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Eidos, please take note. :p

gamer0004
20th Jun 2008, 16:13
Why can't we have Alex back :(

jcp28
20th Jun 2008, 21:33
He said in another post that he would not be working on the DX series again. I'm not sure why.

I'll try to check this Jesper guy out. Hitman did have some damn good music.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
21st Jun 2008, 02:04
^
Yeah, Kyd's website has a good selection of music samples on first page.
He's definitely a composer worthy of consideration for DX3. :cool:

serene_chaos
21st Jun 2008, 03:15
Kyd definitely has versatility enough to adapt his music to suit the game. The Assassins Creed and Hitman soundtracks are completely different, but good nevertheless, and appropriate to their games. I'm sure if he were to work on DX3 the score would be equally suitable and awesome. Still, though, I think my vote goes to Amon Tobin. The Chaos Theory soundtrack is one of my favourite albums of all time, and again, differs greatly from the rest of Tobin's music.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
2nd Jul 2008, 20:20
Kyd definitely has versatility enough to adapt his music to suit the game. The Assassins Creed and Hitman soundtracks are completely different, but good nevertheless, and appropriate to their games. I'm sure if he were to work on DX3 the score would be equally suitable and awesome. Still, though, I think my vote goes to Amon Tobin. The Chaos Theory soundtrack is one of my favourite albums of all time, and again, differs greatly from the rest of Tobin's music.

I agree, Tobin has also produced some nice work. :cool:

My vote goes to Jesper Kyd though... just a personal music choice. :)

Kevyne-Shandris
2nd Jul 2008, 20:43
Alexander Brandon's music is part of the DNA of Deus EX, and perhaps JC Denton himself. I do not believe that the two can be separated and I would very much hope our friends in Montreal know this also. It might not have been Alexander Brandon's requested legacy, but I can think of much worse.

And with Deus EX 3 there is another canvas on which to create another superb artistic balance between game and music, which is one of the crowning achievements of the series.

Alexander Brandon is Deus EX and vice versa. They have the same musical DNA.

Thinking about it, you're right. Can't think of DX without it's music, and vice versa. It maybe cheesy today, much like early synth pop of the 80s sounds now, but it's part of the age. DX3 without the techno/synth/computer generated music just wouldn't be the DX world.

I browse around the F.E.A.R. SDK and that ambient music is mostly generic studio made sounds. But some themes for certain levels also have that brand like affect (so much so, when reused in the XP packs, it destroyed the feel. As this song went to that level and it's memories [yes, memories], not THIS level). One for the Admin level was appropriately computer like in sound (creepier than hell, too), you could hear the modem chirp as a back beat even. It had a God-in-the-machine-sound, just as I envisioned it would be in DX (it's a game I got closer to DX in, as I saw what I missed and what I wished would be in a game. Before it didn't really matter, as what games I played weren't even in the genre. But F.E.A.R. is closer, and it hardened my views about DX in the end, as it was so theme based. What's missing, what's not, what could be).

So DX3 really needs that computer like feel for a sound track. Understand Brandon doesn't want to return to the tracking days, but I he's talented enough to do the same with studio tools of today. Cheesier rifts the better. ;)

TrickyVein
21st Aug 2008, 22:52
Jazz Jackrabbit anyone? Now Alexander Brandon did some great music for that game - Yeah!

Jerion
21st Aug 2008, 23:06
I wouldn't mind having Marty O'Donnell- the guy behind the 3 Halo soundtracks- do DX 3.

gamer0004
22nd Aug 2008, 05:28
Jazz Jackrabbit anyone? Now Alexander Brandon did some great music for that game - Yeah!

Did Alexander do that one too? I loved that music!

pHdeus
22nd Aug 2008, 17:18
This is a question for the people who have an in to what Eidos is doing.

Though various conversations in this forum, it has been revealed that Alexander Brandon is not working on Deus Ex 3. Given his brilliance with Deus EX and Deus EX IW, I am concerned whether Eidos has found an excellent choice for music director and composer for Deus EX. 3 (Naturally, this makes the assumption that Deus EX 3 will have continuous ambient music like its predecessors.)

Can Rene (sorry no accent) or anyone comment on what is going on musically with Deus EX 3? :o

imported_van_HellSing
22nd Aug 2008, 18:01
Eidos has a history of damn fine soundtracks in games, done by great musicians. Jesper Kyd on the Hitman series, Eric Brosius on Thief, Kurt Harland on Legacy of Kain... I don't think any Eidos game I ever played disappointed me musically.

(Even DX ;). I'm first to admit most of the DX1 music isn't really my taste, but the tracks I do like, I like immensely: UNATCO, NYC streets...)

Necros
22nd Aug 2008, 18:34
I agree that the game should retain elements of the original music but with a more updated sound. :cool:
Yeah, I also hope we'll here some of the original songs in some form again in DX3. :)

As Alex won't be back to do DX3, I would like to suggest the composer Jesper Kyd.
http://www.jesperkyd.com/
I agree, he is great but there are other very good composers too. Like Cris Velasco who did the soundtrack for some really great games, last time he created the music for Clive Barker's Jericho, I loved it. Especially one of them, it creeps the hell out of me. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNnihvviv4s

@van_HellSing: And some of them were recorded in Hungary. :cool:

pHdeus
22nd Aug 2008, 21:24
Thanks. I appreciate the education from people far more knowledgable than me. Also, MissDenton and I have held similar views ih this forum, so I am glad to see her views included here as well.

I must admit that I still have the bias that Alexander Brandon's muisc is part of the chemistry or the DNA of the series, and that changing that is not without risk.

:o

Bluey71
22nd Aug 2008, 22:48
I must admit that I still have the bias that Alexander Brandon's muisc is part of the chemistry or the DNA of the series, and that changing that is not without risk.

:o

Agreed.

Im going to throw another name into the pot also - Yoko Kanno, a real nice musical talent with music for the Ghost in the Shell movie's under her belt.

imported_van_HellSing
22nd Aug 2008, 23:11
Err, wrong. Yoko only did the music for the GitS: Stand Alone Complex tv series, the Ghost In The Shell and Innocence movies were scored by Kenji Kawai.

Both are incredibly talented composers though, and Yoko's range of different styles is just amazing.

Speaking of anime music I think people here would enjoy Hiroyuki Namba's music for Armitage III. Also, I always get a DX vibe out of the track MJ-XX (http://lain.ru/files/bootleg/1/Bootleg-%5B28%5D-MJ-XX.mp3) (sic!) from Serial Experiments Lain.

Bluey71
22nd Aug 2008, 23:26
Err, wrong. Yoko only did the music for the GitS: Stand Alone Complex tv series, the Ghost In The Shell and Innocence movies were scored by Kenji Kawai.

Both are incredibly talented composers though, and Yoko's range of different styles is just amazing.

Speaking of anime music I think people here would enjoy Hiroyuki Namba's music for Armitage III. Also, I always get a DX vibe out of the track MJ-XX (http://lain.ru/files/bootleg/1/Bootleg-%5B28%5D-MJ-XX.mp3) (sic!) from Serial Experiments Lain.

ops - yes you are right - must drink more coffee when posting on forums this late!

Freddo
22nd Aug 2008, 23:52
It's funny, cos the first time I played DX all those years back, I actually completed it with the music disabled!
So did I :) Not by choice though, but my computer was far below the minimum requirements, so I turned off a lot of stuff to make the game run more smoothly.

If Alexander Brandon isn't doing the music, then I hope Jesper Kyd do it. His music is generally awesome, and I'm sure he would be able to do something that fits the Deus Ex world very well.

Don't know if any of you played Dreamweb which was released back in 1994, but it's a cyberpunk game that had pretty nice music by Matt Seldon. Not much music, but what was there was very good and suited for the game. Unfortunately, that's also the only game I know he worked on.

But I'm guessing it's more likely we see Amon Tobin doing the music, since he's located in Montreal too, and done stuff like Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. But can't say I'm particulary fond of Amon Tobin's music and do hope they won't use him.

pHdeus
23rd Aug 2008, 01:59
So did I :) Not by choice ... If Alexander Brandon isn't doing the music, then I hope Jesper Kyd do it. His music is generally awesome, and I'm sure he would be able to do something that fits the Deus Ex world very well.

From what I have heard on the Jasper Kyd site, I am very impressed by his talent.

Now with regards to playing with no music, it is also interesting to note that there are parts of Deus EX where I could create the image from the music, without the graphics. The gold medal goes to the undersea lab, I can look out of the window into the ocean, close my eyes and have the music create the same same scene. The sliver medal finisher in that catagory, in my assessment, is the MJ12 laboratories, the large room with the globe statue.

orbitaldescent
25th Aug 2008, 05:09
This may have been said, but somebody needs to find Alex Brandon and Michiel Van Den Bos and pay them whatever money they desire to do the score for this game. Alex is probably busy with his other job but he probably has his price. They're both friggin' geniouses of musical talent and a huge reason a lot of us got so roped into the first game.

Jerion
25th Aug 2008, 05:21
Whoever is doing the soundtrack for DX3, there are two themes that need to be brought, in some incarnation, from the first game into the third: The UNATCO theme (possibly the most recognizable tune of all time), and the Oceanlab Complex theme (it completely defined that part of the Ocean Lab: hi-tech, mysterious, underwater, and memorable).

Just my two cents,

-K

SemiAnonymous
25th Aug 2008, 05:22
you should probably change the title to musical score or something, or people will think you mean ratings. - Done :) DXe

Personally, they both need to return. I wouldn't mind some other composers making a couple of tracks, I would literally squeal a manly squeal if Michiru Yamane of Castlevania fame composed some tracks, maybe some cutscene tracks. Get some other talent in for a few tracks, and you'd have a nice, diverse set of tunes

Freddo
25th Aug 2008, 12:01
Alex Brandon (http://forums.eidosgames.com/member.php?u=91862) posted on this forum a while ago, and he's not doing the music.

Ambient Music discussion (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=715111)

Gizmostuff
25th Aug 2008, 15:58
My personal favorite from the original was the DuClare Chateau soundtrack but the Ocean Lab was one of my favorites as well. I would love to see these two return somehow in DX3.

Too bad Alex isn't doing the music for dx3 though. The guy obviously has a lot of talent!

Fig89
25th Aug 2008, 18:07
They need to take the approach they took in DX1, instead of what they did in IW.

All the music in IW sounded like procedurally generated ambient noise untill we got up to liberty island and jc's sanctuary, which was ambient music sparsped with the good old recognizable melodies.

IMO, DX, got music right, brilliantly so. Sorry, but coolish ambient noise is never going to be a discernable melody and rythym for me.

In my happy dream world, Eidos would somehow get Trent Reznor to do at least some of the soundtrack for DX3.

Igoe
25th Aug 2008, 21:14
I am a large fan of context-sensitive music.

Music that changes dynamically based on what the player is doing.

Zelda and DX both did this very well. If you are constantly listening to the same melody over and over again, it will become repetitive and annoying. Even the catchiest of tunes becomes droll the 30th time you hear it.

Dynamic music is a good way to break up the monotony, and allow musicians to make more arcade style music, instead of relying on "ambient" style music to avoid the strain looping MIDIs cause. DXIW's music, while very good, was intentionally more offset and quiet, making sure that it was there, but in the background.

This is all well and good, but in the end it leaves players scratching their heads trying to remember any one particular track. The DXIW soundtrack contained beautifully remixed versions of the "Escape from UNATCO," "MJ-12 Labs," "UNATCO's Theme," and "Synapse" themes, but most players wouldn't have ever noticed, because they were never in the spotlight.

So the easiest way to keep music in the foreground, and prevent it from being repetitive, is to actively have it change.

As the player engages in combat, enters a sneaking mode, or starts a conversation, the music will alter itself, making sure the player hears several tunes over the course of the hour. A good rule of thumb is, you should never be listening to the same melody for more than 10 minutes at a time.

In a game like DX, this is easy to achieve because most players will at least do one of the following; engage in some kind of combat, speak with an individual, or attempt to sneak over the course of 10 minutes in gameplay.

pHdeus
26th Aug 2008, 00:26
Hi Orbitaldescent and all,

If you descend for just a moment to the link above, you will find that I share your passion and for the most part your assessment.

Not to bore everyone by repeating myself for the third or fourth time, but I have said that for better or worse, Alexander Brandon is part of the musical DNA of JC Denton, in sense that in DEUS EX, the music is indivisible from the way the game shows up, and why it is loved by so many.

In fact his on-line music from "ERA'S END" is like the next DEUS EX in holding pattern waiting to land. Here is the link FYI: http://www.alexanderbrandon.net/music.html.

If everyone here buys at least one of his songs, it might send a message loud enough to be heard in Montreal. :o

(No I do not get a cut of the $0.99/mp3 !)

pHdeus
26th Aug 2008, 02:12
...To be a bit more serious.

Eidos knows that the music can make or break DEUS EX 3.

There is a lot of talent out there including Jasper Kyd. We will need to trust Eidos even while having strong requests and opinions. ... And, Alex Brandon knows that we have a huge respect for his artistic accomplishment.

It may be tough, but I see it as our job right now.
To trust.:o

DXeXodus
26th Aug 2008, 04:26
It may be tough, but I see it as our job right now.
To trust.:o

QFT. I believe that this is all in good hands.

Igoe
26th Aug 2008, 06:45
I do too.

The developers are actively reading these posts, and taking stock in what we say. There is a very positive air about EM, and I'm sure the crew will provide us with an excellent listening experience.

That being said the poor lads at EM have picked a doozy of a game to whet their teeth on :P.

Ganbatte.

urban_queen41
26th Aug 2008, 10:28
I'm all for Jesper Kyd doing the music for DX3- if he's the guy who ends up doing it I certainly won't complain =] From what I've seen on his site, he sounds like he'd know what kind of music DX really needs.

(Although, Akira Yamaoka of Silent Hill fame would be my dream for DX. That guy is a GENIUS in every sense of the word- the sheer atmosphere he creates in his music is stunning- I have most of the SH soundtracks on my MP3 player. =])

drummindog
27th Aug 2008, 12:17

Yes, I found the ambient music very immersing and it also gave me the creeps at times. Being a little creeped out by the music drew me in for sure. Not a bad thing. It seemed to add to the serious nature of the game and the overall mystery of the game as well.

On a slightly different note: I was looking for another good game to get into while I wait. Do you know that of all the FPS games I was looking at, only Deus EX got a 5 star rating by the buyers at Amazon.com? Of course, I didn't have time to do an exhaustive search, but I think I was pretty near the end of the list when I saw this.

Jerion
13th Sep 2008, 17:50
You know, I was watching The Recruit last night, and I realized that it's soundtrack reminded me a lot of Deus Ex.

http://us.7digital.com/artists/klaus-badelt/the-recruit/

Check it out.

jordan_a
13th Sep 2008, 19:04
Very interesting soundtrack indeed. I hope they'll go for something similar for DX3, right balance between a video game melody and a motion picture soundtrack.

Do you guys like "A bug for breakfast"? Do you know any similar track?

ikenstein
18th Sep 2008, 02:48
...Just for ****s and giggles; I want at least ONE bar scene with a NG Resonance-style Holoprojector Jukebox, that has Tom Jones singing "She's A Lady"!!!!

thats muzac, not music.

Apollonius
18th Sep 2008, 11:12
I’d REALLY REALLY REALLY love to hear a full orchestral version of the original Deus Ex theme song for the new game. It’s got brilliant potential and in the right hands can become truly epic. A bit of electric guitar incorporated to replace the electro bits could work excellently and probably suit an orchestral version better. Take a listen to it again if you have to and hear for yourself. For an idea of how good orchestral and electric guitar go together take a listen to the first 2 minutes of Armin Van Buuren – Imagine at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGC-rhzXg70 then imagine something similar with the DX theme :cool:

Jerion
18th Sep 2008, 13:10
I’d REALLY REALLY REALLY love to hear a full orchestral version of the original Deus Ex theme song for the new game. It’s got brilliant potential and in the right hands can become truly epic. A bit of electric guitar incorporated to replace the electro bits could work excellently and probably suit an orchestral version better. Take a listen to it again if you have to and hear for yourself. For an idea of how good orchestral and electric guitar go together take a listen to the first 2 minutes of Armin Van Buuren – Imagine at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGC-rhzXg70 then imagine something similar with the DX theme :cool:

I imagine that this would be something like the transition from the Halo 1 theme (all synth and recorded chorus), to the Halo 3 theme (all orchestral and recorded chorus). Doing something like that would be great for the DX theme. :D

I agree that a little bit of synth here and there with an electric guitar would be excellent. It truly is a memorable theme, and could become epic theme that rivals the Halo music for awesomeness.

J.CDenton
21st Sep 2008, 08:28
I hope the soudntrack will worth DX1. It'll be a difficult challenge since Alexander Brandon provided us an incredible soundtrack. Maybe they should also take some other inspirations. Like the Kenji Kawai GITS Soundtracks or even Vangelis' Blade Runner.

Jerion
21st Sep 2008, 19:18
I hope the soudntrack will worth DX1. It'll be a difficult challenge since Alexander Brandon provided us an incredible soundtrack. Maybe they should also take some other inspirations. Like the Kenji Kawai GITS Soundtracks or even Vangelis' Blade Runner.

Personally I think the concept of an orchestral re-make of the DX 1 soundtrack would be brilliant. the exact soundtrack itself wouldn't work, of course, but a re-imagining of it could. :)

gamer0004
22nd Sep 2008, 15:11
Personally I think the concept of an orchestral re-make of the DX 1 soundtrack would be brilliant. the exact soundtrack itself wouldn't work, of course, but a re-imagining of it could. :)

They already did it for Deus Ex: The Conspiracy (Deus Ex PS2 version).

MagnumJoe
24th Sep 2008, 09:58
Wow!

I think Jesper Kyd is a very fine idea... I didn't know it's him who made the Assassin's Creed score; which was incredible!

Of course i would like him to do the thing... But also, still, with the original DX1 "theme", you know what i mean?

gamer0004
24th Sep 2008, 13:41
In case anyone's interested: it's available for download here (http://dx-music.muzicommedia.net/files/ost/mp3/DXThemePS2.mp3)
EDIT: and here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H2v9TRESjQ)

jordan_a
8th Oct 2008, 14:21
A kind request for my fellow cousins of Québec. If a French character is to speak in DX3, please hire a real French, you know what I mean. :D

Absentia
8th Oct 2008, 16:13
His track "Vegas" from Hitman Blood Money would fit a Deus Ex game perfectly imo. I loved his work on the Hitman games but never thought to actually check him out till now, and thinking about it he'd actually be rather well suited for DX. His style isnt as synth-heavy, but it can be very electronic and has a gritty mood to it that just screams cyberpunk to me.

Bloodwolf806
8th Oct 2008, 16:21
Both Deus Ex and Invisible War had incredible music. I'd love to see some remastered tracks such as the main theme and New York Streets, but I'd also love some original ambient tracks that fit into the Deus Ex world.

Come to think of it, Jesper Kyd would be PERFECT.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
8th Oct 2008, 17:31
Both Deus Ex and Invisible War had incredible music. I'd love to see some remastered tracks such as the main theme and New York Streets, but I'd also love some original ambient tracks that fit into the Deus Ex world.

Come to think of it, Jesper Kyd would be PERFECT.

Yeah, I suggested Kyd earlier in this thread, so right with you on this. :thumbsup:

I'm pretty sure he must be one of the top composers considered for the job. :cool:

Big Orange
8th Oct 2008, 17:33
I also rate Jesper Kyd very highly too and he's got the right mix of synth and orchestra for his music score. Ambient music is more appropriate nowadays, although some DX1 style jingles would be welcome in some sections of the game (but put on a longer loop to stop it getting played to death after a few minutes, driving me crazy: Hong Kong jingle I'm looking at you).

Lady_Of_The_Vine
11th Oct 2008, 10:55
Eidos has a history of damn fine soundtracks in games, done by great musicians. Jesper Kyd on the Hitman series, Eric Brosius on Thief, Kurt Harland on Legacy of Kain... I don't think any Eidos game I ever played disappointed me musically.

Absolutely agree! :cool:

I'll also put a mention in for the Eidos Tomb Raider soundtrack too (originally, Martin Iveson and Nathan McCree); though I know it is more on the lines of traditional and modern "classical", rather than purely ambient. But I love it. :)
The soundtrack of Anniversary was composed by Troels Brun Folmann, based around the original music.

jordan_a
11th Oct 2008, 14:49
02:30 - 03:00 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtjxZrIMsGY) I think that's exactly the kind of music DX needs.

Do you know more of that kind? It's also similar to the dialogue soundtrack of Area 51.

JakePeriphery
29th Oct 2008, 02:29
One of the greatest aspects of the first Deus Ex game was the music. It showed me that electronic music can have a progressive sound and not be the generic house techno most people think of when they think of electronic music. Alexander Brandon's compositions even inspired me to be a electronic musician of my own:

www.myspace.com/jakebowen

Undertow of Attraction and Distortion Corridor are heavily influenced by his style.

But anyway I wanted to point out the importance of the music to Deus Ex it really sets the mood while maintaining memorable melodies.

I will never take my Deus Ex soundtrack off my MP3 player.

Does anyone know who is composing for DX3 and if so what others games have they worked on?

Jerion
29th Oct 2008, 02:59
I very much want to know who is doing the music.

Any comment? René? :D

GmanPro
29th Oct 2008, 03:30
Yeah I do too, good music can really improve the quality of a game. The DX 1 music was one of the biggest reasons why I loved that game so much. I hope that its the same dude, but I wont really mind if the devs bring in someone new. ;)

DXeXodus
29th Oct 2008, 04:23
We already have a music thread :)

Jerion
29th Oct 2008, 05:17
We already have a music thread :)

Yeah but it was almost long dead. :p

DXeXodus
29th Oct 2008, 06:12
And now it is alive again. :thumbsup:
No point in having multiple threads for the same thing. It's forum mechanics 101.

JakePeriphery
29th Oct 2008, 12:31
And now it is alive again. :thumbsup:
No point in having multiple threads for the same thing. It's forum mechanics 101.

Can you at least change the thread title to something that has to do with Deus Ex? I purposely wanted Alex's name in the title so people would read it.

DXeXodus
29th Oct 2008, 12:43
Cool. Thread title changed.

If you look in the first page of this thread now you will see that AB posted here personally. Which was quite cool :)

JakePeriphery
29th Oct 2008, 12:58
Cool. Thread title changed.

If you look in the first page of this thread now you will see that AB posted here personally. Which was quite cool :)

Thanks man! Yeah I saw that, he's the man.

MagnumJoe
29th Oct 2008, 21:24
02:30 - 03:00 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtjxZrIMsGY) I think that's exactly the kind of music DX needs.

Do you know more of that kind? It's also similar to the dialogue soundtrack of Area 51.

I think Equilibrium in many ways very much like Deus Ex. Same mood. I even think that if a DX movie is to be made, Christian Bale MUST have the role :)

SageSavage
29th Oct 2008, 21:35
I know several people saying that about Equlibrium but somehow the movie felt flat for me. I should give it another view maybe. At least I can agree on Bale as JC. But then again I can not approve any movie that has been made after a game - especially if it's after DX.

René
29th Oct 2008, 21:40
I very much want to know who is doing the music.

Any comment? René? :D

I can't say anything about that at this time. Sorry.

ElectricWizard
30th Oct 2008, 09:52
I'm not going to read the entire thread, but i absolutely loved the Deus Ex soundtrack and i hate most video game music. That Hong Kong Wan Chai market song is so amazingly catchy!

ZenAbra
30th Oct 2008, 15:07
Here's a vote for Michiel van den Bos.

On the soundtracks Alexander Brandon and Michiel van den Bos worked on together (Unreal, Unreal Tournament & Deus Ex), I always liked Michiel van den Bos pieces better.

They feature a more hypnotic and atmospheric quality.

While I'd love to see them both work on Deus Ex 3, if they can't get Brandon, perhaps at least they could land Michiel van den Bos.

ber82
2nd Nov 2008, 22:39
I just listened Depeche Mode's Agent Orange and i could feel a little of the Deus Ex in it. I hope someone agrees and include it in a level for Deus Ex 3. Anyone who loves Deus Ex Music knows what i'm talking about.:rolleyes:

If anyone haven't heard of it,

http://www.last.fm/music/Depeche+Mode/_/Agent+Orange

Greetings Deus Ex's fans. ;)

JakePeriphery
3rd Nov 2008, 02:24
I just listened Depeche Mode's Agent Orange and i could feel a little of the Deus Ex in it. I hope someone agrees and include it in a level for Deus Ex 3. Anyone who loves Deus Ex Music knows what i'm talking about.:rolleyes:

If anyone haven't heard of it,

http://www.last.fm/music/Depeche+Mode/_/Agent+Orange

Greetings Deus Ex's fans. ;)

While I respect some of Depeche Mode's work, I wouldn't hire them to come up with some BGM. I'd much rather Telefon Tel Aviv or Nine Inch Nails do the music for Deus Ex 3.

iWait
3rd Nov 2008, 04:03
Nine Inch Nails wouldn't fit DX3.
There have been several threads on DX3 music, and the general consensus seems to be a sound track similar to DX, in that each level has it's own unique sound, adding to the feel of the level.
I dunno, but to me the DX music always had a certain undertone that just amplified the whole dystopian world-gone-wrong feel of the game.

DXeXodus
3rd Nov 2008, 04:09
^^ Exactly.

Please check the existing threads before making a new one.

Merged.

JakePeriphery
3rd Nov 2008, 09:57
Nine Inch Nails wouldn't fit DX3.
There have been several threads on DX3 music, and the general consensus seems to be a sound track similar to DX, in that each level has it's own unique sound, adding to the feel of the level.
I dunno, but to me the DX music always had a certain undertone that just amplified the whole dystopian world-gone-wrong feel of the game.

Self pwn. I don't think you've really heard a lot of Nine Inch Nails, their catalog goes way beyond what you hear on TV or the radio.

EDIT: Also I was thinking about how in DX1 and 2 you spent some time in night clubs, well if you go into any almost any real life night club the DJ is more than likely going to throw in a Nine Inch Nails remix.

JakePeriphery
3rd Nov 2008, 10:02
^^ Exactly.

Please check the existing threads before making a new one.

Merged.

Also while I appreciate the time you put in for the moderation of this forum I don't believe all music threads need to be lumped into one thread simply because they're on the subject of music, this seems to be the tone used by a lot of forums and by using that logic you could lump every thread into one because they all have to do with Deus Ex 3. I think the original "Depeche Mode" thread was legit because it was talking about a specific aspect of the Deus Ex franchise and that's the out-sourcing of music for parts of the game (i.e. Reeves Gabrels, Kidney Thieves)

When you merge specific threads into broad threads like this it completely counteracts the purpose of merging threads anyway which is to clean up the forums, now instead of being able to search for main topics you now have to sift through 8 pages of replies and is just one cluster fornication of replies.

DXeXodus
3rd Nov 2008, 10:10
You must realize that people complain if I merge threads and then people complain if I don't merge threads. So there is very little I can do to make things perfect over here. It makes more sense to have all music related ideas in one place.

JakePeriphery
3rd Nov 2008, 10:15
You must realize that people complain if I merge threads and then people complain if I don't merge threads. So there is very little I can do to make things perfect over here. It makes more sense to have all music related ideas in one place.

I'm not really complaining, just offering my suggestions, I don't really care how you run the forum you were put in charge of :) I think you do a good job though. I also respect that you respond to the communication of the forum instead of being the Gestapo *looks at Bethesda's forum*

Lady_Of_The_Vine
3rd Nov 2008, 10:17
Also while I appreciate the time you put in for the moderation of this forum I don't believe all music threads need to be lumped into one thread simply because they're on the subject of music, this seems to be the tone used by a lot of forums and by using that logic you could lump every thread into one because they all have to do with Deus Ex 3. I think the original "Depeche Mode" thread was legit because it was talking about a specific aspect of the Deus Ex franchise and that's the out-sourcing of music for parts of the game (i.e. Reeves Gabrels, Kidney Thieves)

When you merge specific threads into broad threads like this it completely counteracts the purpose of merging threads anyway which is to clean up the forums, now instead of being able to search for main topics you now have to sift through 8 pages of replies and is just one cluster fornication of replies.

It's all about trying to achieve a sensible balance and, in my opinion, all music-related discussion should go in one single thread.
The only music that deserves its very own thread will be the actual music used for DX3. :cool:

As for the statement that using such 'merge logic' means we may as well lump all discussion into one thread is somewhat senseless and extreme and doesn't offer any justification for having a standalone music thread for Depeche Mode etc. :p

All my own opinion, of course. Maybe we will see an Uprising now? :D

JakePeriphery
3rd Nov 2008, 10:28
It's all about trying to achieve a sensible balance and, in my opinion, all music-related discussion should go in one single thread.
The only music that deserves its very own thread will be the actual music used for DX3. :cool:

As for the statement that using such 'merge logic' means we may as well lump all discussion into one thread is somewhat senseless and extreme and doesn't offer any justification for having a standalone music thread for Depeche Mode etc. :p

All my own opinion, of course. Maybe we will see an Uprising now? :D

Well I'm all about specifics, it actually annoys me when I search for something and it's in the middle of a 14 page thread that got merged 7 times and now I have to figure out where the 7 different conversations begin and end. The dynamics of dialogue apply even on a forum because essentially it's like a bunch of people talking at the same time when you merge threads.

My logic wasn't senseless, it comes down to how much importance you put on specific threads with specific ideas - you may not care about the many facets of music production and discussion, all very different to me though.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
3rd Nov 2008, 12:01
Well I'm all about specifics, it actually annoys me when I search for something and it's in the middle of a 14 page thread that got merged 7 times and now I have to figure out where the 7 different conversations begin and end. The dynamics of dialogue apply even on a forum because essentially it's like a bunch of people talking at the same time when you merge threads.

My logic wasn't senseless, it comes down to how much importance you put on specific threads with specific ideas - you may not care about the many facets of music production and discussion, all very different to me though.

In relation to the Depeche Mode thread, you are not having to plough through the now-merged thread to find the discussion, are you? It is the most recently posted and therefore easy to find. If you are talking about different music discussions within the same thread (as a result of several merges) then you would have to plough through it anyway if you wanted to follow up on an older conversation. Correct? :)
PLUS, these once-independent threads all kind of 'drift' off topic eventually anyway and just discuss music (or whatever the topic was) in more general form...
Yes, it can be annoying to have to figure out 7 different conversations etc., but it would be MORE annoying to have to search for 7 different convos in 7 different threads as well. Hence, there is a lot of sense in trying to keep some kind of order by merging together similar topics. Sure, its not perfect but it is better than having a whole load of separate threads about a similar topic.

I hope you don't think I was being rude when I said senseless, that wasn't my intention. But I think to liken merging all threads in this forum into one single thread was a senseless comparison/suggestion. That is all. ;)
For the record, music is my favourite of all personal interests. :cool:

Bloodwolf806
3rd Nov 2008, 21:05

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Your music is amazing.

ber82
3rd Nov 2008, 23:44

I agree. :rolleyes:

ber82
4th Nov 2008, 00:04
While I respect some of Depeche Mode's work, I wouldn't hire them to come up with some BGM. I'd much rather Telefon Tel Aviv or Nine Inch Nails do the music for Deus Ex 3.

OMG, that's a nice choice too, I couldn't agree more. In fact, Chris Vrenna composed American McGee's Alice Soundtrack. It's wicked but great!. I believe he could create that wonderful DeusEx atmosphere.:rolleyes:

Jerion
4th Nov 2008, 00:04
Well hey guys, DXe is the merge king. I would stage an uprising but I would have to merge all the uprising threads together as they would all overlap. :D

ber82
4th Nov 2008, 00:09
Well hey guys, DXe is the merge king. I would stage an uprising but I would have to merge all the uprising threads together as they would all overlap. :D

This thread is about to be merged to the merging merged threads thread.:D

F3nyx
4th Nov 2008, 01:30
Alexander Brandon is the man. He did great work not only on the DX soundtrack (The Synapse, Enemy Within) but on the Tyrian soundtrack as well (Caminis, Asteroid Dance #2) -- both of those have a permanent place in my collection.

I happen to have the complete DX soundtrack in MP3, and by complete I mean not only the main level tracks but the combat themes, conversation music, death jingles, etc. If anyone's interested I'll put it on rapidshare.

JakePeriphery
4th Nov 2008, 01:52
Alexander Brandon is the man. He did great work not only on the DX soundtrack (The Synapse, Enemy Within) but on the Tyrian soundtrack as well (Caminis, Asteroid Dance #2) -- both of those have a permanent place in my collection.

I happen to have the complete DX soundtrack in MP3, and by complete I mean not only the main level tracks but the combat themes, conversation music, death jingles, etc. If anyone's interested I'll put it on rapidshare.

I'll take that!

ber82
4th Nov 2008, 17:50

me too!

-|°
4th Nov 2008, 19:36
It's already here (http://gh.ffshrine.org/soundtracks/186). But tracks can only be downloaded one by one.

F3nyx
5th Nov 2008, 00:46
It's already here (http://gh.ffshrine.org/soundtracks/186). But tracks can only be downloaded one by one.

Yeah, that's where I got it from. I wouldn't want to put anyone else through that. Uploading now.

F3nyx
5th Nov 2008, 02:29
http://rapidshare.com/files/160765913/DX_OST.rar.html

Rapidshare says it's only good for 10 downloads.

JakePeriphery
5th Nov 2008, 03:51
http://rapidshare.com/files/160765913/DX_OST.rar.html

Rapidshare says it's only good for 10 downloads.

*YOINK* Thanks!

MrPibbs
7th Nov 2008, 04:01
The Deus Ex soundtrack is outstanding on the whole, and nearly every track is distinct and memorable because each track evokes a mental image from the game. The main theme from Invisible War was also quite good, but nothing else from that game was any good when compared to the original, except for lighting and the polygon count.

GmanPro
7th Nov 2008, 04:29
They should do what Oblivion did (That is probably the only time I will ever say anything like that again :D ) and rework the original music. I noticed it occasionally in Oblivion, the music sounded similar to Morrowind's score at times.

A remixed DX1 soundtrack (with plenty of original works in there too) would be great imo. :thumbsup:

Igoe
7th Nov 2008, 08:07
I have to agree with this, the remix + OST is the way to go. One of the things i LOVED about DX2 was the soundtrack. I think the new Main Title was even better than the original, and the end credits were as well. Several other tracks got remixed as well, but it was all in he background.

I did LOVE a lot of the newer tracks just as much though. SSC HQ in Trier, the Archology music, almost ALL the Cairo music, the Seattle main hub theme, the Biolab in seattle theme.

I can almost HEAR the Heron's Loft theme playing when I look at the image of Adam's apt.

Lazarus Ledd
7th Nov 2008, 12:59
but that kind of music never existed in DX3 period :D

dr_niz
9th Nov 2008, 20:36
I'd dig an illustriously cinematic opening theme and end credits. I always thought DX2's opening theme was good but perhaps too short. As far as end credits go, nothing caps a game like an incredible closer. The best end soundtrack I've ever heard (obviously that fit the game) was Mass Effects m4 partII (spelling?) by the faunts.

As far as level music goes, DX outpaced DX2 but I agree with earlier posts that at times it could be distracting. Because of that, it would seem best to find a medium between DX and DX2 styles by mixing melodic and catchy with ambiance, where it's difficult to observe the loop point.

10th Nov 2008, 02:20
Just an idea: I think they should add IDM (intelligent dance music) type music to Deus Ex 3, it's kind of ambient but amazingly fun to listen to, AND futuristic to boot!--check it out devs it's worth it!

Some examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWGc5v0v0Oo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMz2T1rr3qk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41BuGOU4QFs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk8W3ysnB7M&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnwSA3XV6o8&feature=related

GmanPro
10th Nov 2008, 03:56
My favorite ending-credits tracks in games would probably have to be Planescape: Torment and Icewind Dale. I also liked the star wars music in KotOR. Half Life 2 was ok also...

Torley
15th Nov 2008, 16:35
The Deus Ex soundtrack succeeded in large part because it combined catchy melodies with intricate arrangements. All too often, the mistake is made of going too far in the former direction (generic trance) or the latter (unlistenable experiments). There's also the demoscene roots which helped a lot, because they encourage resourcefulness and creative sound design.

When I'm in the virtual world of Second Life, sometimes when I'm strolling through cyberpunk environments, I play the DX soundtrack in the background. The Hong Kong music has never failed me here:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/204/468077552_d35a33e35b.jpg?v=0

I've seen Residents with avatar tributes to DX, and even a recreation of Paul's apartment by Enabran Templar at one point. It was pretty badass.

Also, some history: I originally got into SL because I was looking for a Deus Ex-style MMO but couldn't find a sci-fi one that took place 50-100 years ahead.

GmanPro
18th Nov 2008, 00:09
Hey guys look what I just found.

http://blogs.ign.com/Obsidian_NWN2/2008/11/10/105627/

Notice who the audio director for obsidian is? ;)

jordan_a
24th Nov 2008, 16:51
That's why it's unlikely he will compose DX3's soundtrack.

However I know for sure it should be very good.

3nails4you
24th Nov 2008, 17:01
:D I know a guy who works at Obsidian!

GmanPro
24th Nov 2008, 17:55
I would love to work for Obsidian. One of my dream jobs. :thumbsup:

AaronJ
24th Nov 2008, 21:21

I agree, I adored the soundtrack. Hopefully we won't have a sub-par instrumental/electronic score for DX3. AND NO METAL.

DXeXodus
25th Nov 2008, 04:47
Just use Deus Ex 1's music. I know I'd be happy :D

GmanPro
25th Nov 2008, 04:48
Someone should make that mod. ^^ :thumbsup:

APostLife
25th Nov 2008, 06:28
Do anyone knows who the real composer for DX3, anyway?

Bloodwolf806
26th Nov 2008, 04:18
Well, us 360 users can just use custom soundtracks and listen to DX1 music while we play DX3:D

GmanPro
26th Nov 2008, 05:53
^^
You could do that with a PC too you know...

Wildeheart
26th Nov 2008, 14:10
The Deus Ex soundtrack is outstanding on the whole, and nearly every track is distinct and memorable because each track evokes a mental image from the game. The main theme from Invisible War was also quite good, but nothing else from that game was any good when compared to the original, except for lighting and the polygon count.

Not sure I agree there, the original songs provided by The Kidney Thieves were excellent and they're still one of my favorite industrial bands, I was really upset when they split up shortly after the release of DX2 as I never got to see them perform live.

Torley
28th Nov 2008, 21:23
MUST-READ if you like Alexander Brandon's art: his book, Audio for Games (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0735714134?ie=UTF8&tag=torllive-20&link_code=as3&camp=211189&creative=373489&creativeASIN=0735714134). I just got a used copy and he tells stories from his career, including the challenges he faced during DE:IW.

Bloodwolf806
29th Nov 2008, 22:32
Not sure I agree there, the original songs provided by The Kidney Thieves were excellent and they're still one of my favorite industrial bands, I was really upset when they split up shortly after the release of DX2 as I never got to see them perform live.

I also thought that the main theme and J.C. Dentons lair were excellent tracks.

Earendil
2nd Dec 2008, 20:27
I think Vandenberg is right up there in terms of sheer ambience. I will never forget that gas station in the middle of bloody nowhere...

Jerion
2nd Dec 2008, 22:15
I think Vandenberg is right up there in terms of sheer ambience. I will never forget that gas station in the middle of bloody nowhere...

I dunno- I think the Paris tracks rival it for atmosphere. :D

Igoe
3rd Dec 2008, 06:10
Now that I think about it, I can't decide on the best ambient track in IW OR in DX1. They were all really well done. Hong Kong (in all areas) Paris, UNATCO, NYC (all parts) Cairo, Trier, Antartica, all of it was very evocative.

GmanPro
3rd Dec 2008, 06:13
Alexander Brandon is the lord of video game music. I don't know how much he actually contributed to the Storm of Zehir tracks, but they are very good imo. Maybe not quite DX, but still memorable.

Igoe
3rd Dec 2008, 06:17
Oh man, Zehir? Aweome music.

GmanPro
3rd Dec 2008, 06:18
I like the world map tracks, and the temple of Waukeen track. :cool:

jordan_a
3rd Dec 2008, 06:21
Don't start on BG2... :D

GmanPro
3rd Dec 2008, 06:24
Nah man, Storm of Zehir.

But BG seriously had the best high fantasy music I can think of. Both games. :thumbsup: I have most of it on my pc, along with the DX1 OST.