PDA

View Full Version : MISC. Alpha Gameplay feedback

Shadyhaxx
6th Dec 2013, 21:35
I finally got in today to play a little and I must say I'm very impressed with how smooth the gameplay is. I am a big fan of the Unreal Engine as UT99/UT2k3 were really the games I played at a high level for a long time. I competed in tournaments and my clan was always #1 at season end in any ladder we participated in.

So I wanted to comment on the good and things that needed improvement.

The Good:

UI: The UI was very easy to use and I liked the look and feel of it.
Music: The music was very relaxing and got me in the right mood.
Graphics: At first I didn't think they were the best but overall I think they are sufficient.
Game Engine: Very nice. Very smooth.. no problems at all with screen shearing or any feelings of laggy skills or delays. Very impressed with the game engine.

Things that need tweaking:

Game Balance: I think it's pretty clear the vampires seem to have an edge right now. The health regen certainly helps. I would probably nerf how much healing they get when they execute someone and drink their blood.
EDIT: After more play this is incorrect. I've very happy with the game balance!!

Third Person/First person: I still feel a first person view option would greatly help the humans. Since the humans feel a bit more like an FPS player.. let's give them a FP View.

Additions/Addons?:

Game Announcer: Would be nice to have that game announcer like in UT99 (female voice plz) 3..2..1.. BEGIN!!
CTF Game Mode - Capture the flag :)
Speech Binder: Similar to UT99 let us bind commands such as: "Cover Me", "I've got your back","Follow Me".. stuff like that. We have this in a lot of FPS games and it's very helpful for teamplay.
Map Team View?: Not sure if we need this but the ability to pull up a map and just see quickly where each of our teammates are via their name on the map.

Overall Impression:

I've only played 3 games I think but I must say well done. I really enjoyed the game. First FPS style game since UT99 that I really liked. I think this is mostly because most FPS games (CoD,BF) have very slow movement mechanics and you are slowed when you get hit. It's refreshing to get some more movement options in a fps and to feel like movement is once again a skill unto it's own. Similar to my days in UT99.

I'll get more into detail on skills and gear when I get a chance to play more.

~ Shadyhaxx ~

Oroibahazopi
6th Dec 2013, 21:48

Game Balance: I think it's pretty clear the vampires seem to have an edge right now. The health regen certainly helps. I would probably nerf how much healing they get when they execute someone and drink their blood.
Honestly it's hard to say if vampires really are better than humans. But Vamps certainly are easier to play and learn imo. Once you get to understand the Vampires a bit more they tend to be easier to kill.
Third Person/First person: I still feel a first person view option would greatly help the humans. Since the humans feel a bit more like an FPS player.. let's give them a FP View.
Personally I favour the 1st person too since 3rd person gives vampires an edge over humans.

Additions/Addons?:

Game Announcer: Would be nice to have that game announcer like in UT99 (female voice plz) 3..2..1.. BEGIN!!
Use forum search and prepare for a long read.
Some of the abilities and the extra mobility of vampires would make this hell to balance, if you could even make it a fun mode at all.
Speech Binder: Similar to UT99 let us bind commands such as: "Cover Me", "I've got your back","Follow Me".. stuff like that. We have this in a lot of FPS games and it's very helpful for teamplay.
Forum search again ^^. A dev has said it's on the map.
Map Team View?: Not sure if we need this but the ability to pull up a map and just see quickly where each of our teammates are via their name on the map.
It's pretty fine as it is atm, you can see your team mates names right across the map. The minimap is a bit buggy though, heal stations can appear as players.

What classes do you play?

Shadyhaxx
6th Dec 2013, 22:29
Was playing the Alchemist and the Reaver. Liked both classes quite a bit.

Oroibahazopi
6th Dec 2013, 22:34
Reaver is pretty powerful right now, I'd say unlocking savage pounce is a priority (though it may be nerfed in the future)

I reflexively hate alcs ;P Hunter and Scout are much more rewarding classes to play imo.

Also I hope you noticed that I added some text into that quote of your stuff ;]

Shadyhaxx
6th Dec 2013, 22:40
Ahh yah the text color in here by default is kind of dark and harder to notice. Thanks for the comments. Looks good. CTF may be way off in the future .. perhaps CTF could be vamps vs vamps and humans vs humans. That is better than no CTF at all!!

I don't understand how unlocks work currently as I just played for the first time today. Are you saying unlocks will remain even into the Closed -> Open and Retail releases of the game? Also I liked the reaver as his leap is on a short CD and does high dmg. It can be a bit mentally defeating as well. Being a human and having these reavers double team you is very disconcerting!!! :)

When you say reflexively do you mean your not very good with twitch response or something else?

I tried the class with the crossbow and really didn't like it.

Oroibahazopi
6th Dec 2013, 22:47
I just hate spammy nade spam spammy spam classes which is an alc ;P But yeah it's a powerful class no doubt.

I can't remember if there will be a gold/gear reset at launch. One thing to pay attention to is making sure you choose the permanent unlock from the shop or else you'll only get the item for 7 days (though that is bugged atm). Savage pounce is basically the same as the default one apart from more damage and you lose the auto aim.

Hunter is very powerful, the bola and explosive shot means you can very easily 1v1 any vampire and win.

JanusDominus
6th Dec 2013, 23:03
Game Balance: I think it's pretty clear the vampires seem to have an edge right now. The health regen certainly helps. I would probably nerf how much healing they get when they execute someone and drink their blood.That's highly debatable. Well-playing team of humans can decimate vamps with ease. And regen doesn't recover all the health. In turn, humans have the healing stations which are omnipresent and easy to use.
Third Person/First person: I still feel a first person view option would greatly help the humans. Since the humans feel a bit more like an FPS player.. let's give them a FP View.Wouldn't work at all with the rolling mechanic, also with some of the skills, like the Grappling hook.

Game Announcer: Would be nice to have that game announcer like in UT99 (female voice plz) 3..2..1.. BEGIN!!It was long decided against it.
Speech Binder: Similar to UT99 let us bind commands such as: "Cover Me", "I've got your back","Follow Me".. stuff like that. We have this in a lot of FPS games and it's very helpful for teamplay.That I'd actually love to see myself.

Joesonfire85
7th Dec 2013, 02:44
I love all the classes. Reaver is just the easiest to get the hang of and the Scout seems to be the hardest to get used to when switching from vamp to human. Its all in your playstyle and the playstyle of your team. I really cant wait for CTF and CaptureHold game modes. This reminds me alot of Space Marine for some reason. Maybe they can implement some kind of "exterminatus" gameplay, for those of you who are not familiar with it, its when you and your team go against untold numbers to capture points on a map and not die too often. Love this game, cant wait to see more.

ZangarftheWrassler
7th Dec 2013, 06:36

Additions/Addons?:

I agree SOME of your other bulletpoints. But not all of them.

The two that inspired me to write a reply were the 'Game Balance' and 'Game Announcer' ones. When I played today, I never felt like one team had it easier than the other. When I played Humans, I could hold my own against the Vampires and when I played Vampires, I could hold my own against the Humans. There needs to be minor adjustments but I don't think anything extreme. I do agree that maybe modifying the healing capabilities would help but those are numerical values that could be changed in the blink of an eye. As for the Announcer, I do not want this. You might, but I don't and I guess we will have to agree to disagree but it doesn't fit in to the art style of the game. If you have a menacing Elder God- or Kain-like voice for the Vampires and something relevant to the Humans, maybe... But the intense war drums seem appropriate and I didn't dislike the lack of an announcer. Maybe if you could toggle it like you could in UT then I wouldn't mind. Then you and I would have what we want.

I don't mean to be disagreeable but I couldn't let my opinion go unspoken!

Shadyhaxx
7th Dec 2013, 16:21
That's highly debatable. Well-playing team of humans can decimate vamps with ease. And regen doesn't recover all the health. In turn, humans have the healing stations which are omnipresent and easy to use.Wouldn't work at all with the rolling mechanic, also with some of the skills, like the Grappling hook.
It was long decided against it.That I'd actually love to see myself.

Jannus: Yes after playing more games I totally agree!!!

Shadyhaxx
7th Dec 2013, 16:23
I agree SOME of your other bulletpoints. But not all of them.

The two that inspired me to write a reply were the 'Game Balance' and 'Game Announcer' ones. When I played today, I never felt like one team had it easier than the other. When I played Humans, I could hold my own against the Vampires and when I played Vampires, I could hold my own against the Humans. There needs to be minor adjustments but I don't think anything extreme. I do agree that maybe modifying the healing capabilities would help but those are numerical values that could be changed in the blink of an eye. As for the Announcer, I do not want this. You might, but I don't and I guess we will have to agree to disagree but it doesn't fit in to the art style of the game. If you have a menacing Elder God- or Kain-like voice for the Vampires and something relevant to the Humans, maybe... But the intense war drums seem appropriate and I didn't dislike the lack of an announcer. Maybe if you could toggle it like you could in UT then I wouldn't mind. Then you and I would have what we want.

I don't mean to be disagreeable but I couldn't let my opinion go unspoken!

Zangar: Yes totally agree. My original post was after only 3 games. I got the chance to play 3 more hours later and I think the balance is SPOT ON!!!