PDA

View Full Version : No Hardware Sound Acceleration In Vista?

GPUX
5th Dec 2007, 21:27
I've noticed the reason behind the framerate drops in vista is because kane and lynch doesn't use hardware sound acceleration, but in xp it uses the sound card and no slowdowns occur in the game. Is there anyway to fix this?

Juanlo
6th Dec 2007, 12:29
You can choose OpenAL or DS3D at the game sound options

GPUX
6th Dec 2007, 17:50
You can choose OpenAL or DS3D at the game sound options

There is no DS3D option available in the game when playing in vista only software sound is available.

jaywalker2309
7th Dec 2007, 16:29
MS removed DirectSound from Vista.

Therefore only option is OpenAL. There are 2 levels of OpenAL available, if your soundcard supports OpenAL properly then you will be able to use Hardware OpenAL, however if your soundcard doesnt then the only option is Software, which will use your CPU more etc.

There is no way around MS's removal of DirectSound unfortunately.

I know for a lot of older games this has caused a lot of problems, but Creative released `Alchemy` which is like a backwards compatibility program that enables DirectSound Calls to be interpretted by OpenAL and work through its own API.

GPUX
8th Dec 2007, 11:42
MS removed DirectSound from Vista.

Therefore only option is OpenAL. There are 2 levels of OpenAL available, if your soundcard supports OpenAL properly then you will be able to use Hardware OpenAL, however if your soundcard doesnt then the only option is Software, which will use your CPU more etc.

There is no way around MS's removal of DirectSound unfortunately.

I know for a lot of older games this has caused a lot of problems, but Creative released `Alchemy` which is like a backwards compatibility program that enables DirectSound Calls to be interpretted by OpenAL and work through its own API.

thanks for the info.